Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950079 times)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1800 on: April 08, 2020, 01:56:31 PM »
Cooking is both a great boredom reliever and important life skill. I hope dinner was as tasty as it sounded, @jeninco !

I made the beef and cabbage stir-fry from Budget Bytes, except I replaced the beef with shredded rotisserie chicken and sliced mushrooms. I like it better this way.

I agree -- his cooking skills were already way better then minimal (he doesn't need much instruction/support) but he's getting braver (and has more time to spend) about trying out new things.

Tonight, I'm making red beans and rice (with "andouille" sausage from Trader Joe's -- quotes are because it's "andouille-ish") with greens, and he's making flan for dessert.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1801 on: April 08, 2020, 05:40:37 PM »
^^^ Yum!

We’re having bison burgers topped with cheddar and avocado, green salads, and grilled sweet potatoes.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1802 on: April 08, 2020, 05:52:40 PM »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 08:38:58 PM by NotJen »

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1803 on: April 08, 2020, 07:11:22 PM »
Baked salmon with lemon pepper and asparagus.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1804 on: April 09, 2020, 08:35:06 AM »
We're having carnitas (in tortillas for some, over salad for the others)

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1805 on: April 09, 2020, 09:12:04 AM »
Manhattan clam chowder
French fries
coleslaw
blueberry pie for dessert

all homemade

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1806 on: April 09, 2020, 04:12:23 PM »
Kale and white bean soup with sweet potato fries on the side.  The soup has an entire bulb of roasted garlic, yum!

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1807 on: April 09, 2020, 04:43:26 PM »
Chickpea tikka masala (https://www.theironyou.com/2016/03/vegan-easy-chickpea-tikka-masala.html).  Yum!

But I need to stop cooking, too many leftovers in the freezer after tonight.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1808 on: April 09, 2020, 05:52:48 PM »
Chickpea tikka masala (https://www.theironyou.com/2016/03/vegan-easy-chickpea-tikka-masala.html).  Yum!

But I need to stop cooking, too many leftovers in the freezer after tonight.

Haha, send them over this way! There are four people in my house, and two are large teenaged males. The amount of food we can go through when everyone's been out running/walking/gardening/anything but sitting inside is staggering.

As you may have noticed, my work projects have been winding up, and DS19 is bored. We ordered a hand-cranked pasta machine a few weeks ago, and it came last week. So after lunch he kneaded out some pasta dough (which is now resting in the fridge) and we're roasting a butternut squash now. It'll be ravioli, probably dressed with some leftover homemade mayo, dressed up with lemon and finely chopped sage.
And asparagus, for a green vegetable.

Tomorrow: We've instituted pizza night on Fridays. Hopefully followed by a family game of hearts.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1809 on: April 09, 2020, 10:19:01 PM »
I made a pot of stock from a rotisserie chicken carcass and used it in chicken vegetable soup (with the last of the meat from the chicken).

Friday pizza night sounds good! I might do that if I can get the frozen cheese thawed in time.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1810 on: April 10, 2020, 12:21:15 PM »
We're having spaghetti bolognese. Over cauliflower rice or pasta

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1811 on: April 10, 2020, 12:47:23 PM »
Saw the recipe on the NY Times Instagram the other day for ramen carbonara so that's on the menu.

We usually eat whole-foods-ish so this seemed like a junk-foody type of treat...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1812 on: April 11, 2020, 03:25:42 PM »
Lemon-pesto chicken thighs, sauteed Swiss chard and Tuscan butter mushrooms.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1813 on: April 11, 2020, 04:09:13 PM »
I'm trying a pork posole (https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/easy-pork-posole/) to use up some andouille sausage and hominy in the freezer.  Will serve with corn tortillas (still working through that stack!) and roasted broccoli.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1814 on: April 11, 2020, 04:51:48 PM »
Something simple because I need to start preparing tomorrow's feast.

Tomorrow: bacon deviled eggs, grilled lamb chops, roasted brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes, and lime yogurt cake with raspberry sauce (by some miracle, I already had everything needed for this recipe, including a bag of frozen raspberries).

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1815 on: April 12, 2020, 12:46:08 PM »

Tomorrow: bacon deviled eggs, grilled lamb chops, roasted brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes, and lime yogurt cake with raspberry sauce (by some miracle, I already had everything needed for this recipe, including a bag of frozen raspberries).

Thanks for the inspiration -- I'm starting the lime yogurt cake now. I'm sure there are berries (of some kind) in the freezer, and if not there's about a pound of strawberries in the fridge.

We're having a tiny (2 lb) boneless roast leg of lamb, artichokes, asparagus, and red potatoes with ... something, tbd.  And the cake, obviously.

This morning we had a traditional (for us) breakfast of bacon, matzah brie,(with blueberries and maple syrup) and chocolate eggs. Religious tradition mongrels that we are.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1816 on: April 12, 2020, 01:38:23 PM »

Thanks for the inspiration -- I'm starting the lime yogurt cake now. I'm sure there are berries (of some kind) in the freezer, and if not there's about a pound of strawberries in the fridge.

We're having a tiny (2 lb) boneless roast leg of lamb, artichokes, asparagus, and red potatoes with ... something, tbd.  And the cake, obviously.

This morning we had a traditional (for us) breakfast of bacon, matzah brie,(with blueberries and maple syrup) and chocolate eggs. Religious tradition mongrels that we are.

You're welcome!

The bacon and matzah brei is my favorite part of your breakfast. Somewhere, an orthodox rabbi is rolling over in his grave.

I still haven't made the cake because it ended up being a work day. But I definitely have time now, so all is not lost. Our breakfast was some of the deviled eggs with toast and orange slices. Husband put the lamb chops in marinade about an hour ago, and I think I'm going to do crispy roasted russet potatoes instead of the sweet potatoes. Mmm.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1817 on: April 12, 2020, 02:09:21 PM »
We're doing a boneless leg of lamb with lemon and garlic (don't have any mint or we would've gone that route), roasted root vegetables, collard greens, and a salad.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1818 on: April 12, 2020, 02:13:59 PM »
We're having steak & salad. Perhaps with hot cross buns. I also have a chicken tikka masala in the slow cooker. That will be for tomorrow, but I needed to get the chicken cooking today.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1819 on: April 12, 2020, 03:59:38 PM »

You're welcome!

The bacon and matzah brei is my favorite part of your breakfast. Somewhere, an orthodox rabbi is rolling over in his grave.

I still haven't made the cake because it ended up being a work day. But I definitely have time now, so all is not lost. Our breakfast was some of the deviled eggs with toast and orange slices. Husband put the lamb chops in marinade about an hour ago, and I think I'm going to do crispy roasted russet potatoes instead of the sweet potatoes. Mmm.

Yeah, it reminds me of my (conservative Jewish) great grandma making us matzah brei for breakfast, then stepping out on her balcony overlooking 2nd Avenue while my mom cooked bacon (so grandma Clara wouldn't be in the kitchen while such things were happening. I'm sure there's enough rolling in the grave going on here to power a medium-sized city).

The cake was pretty fast -- hopefully it turns out well!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1820 on: April 12, 2020, 04:28:10 PM »

You're welcome!

Yeah, it reminds me of my (conservative Jewish) great grandma making us matzah brei for breakfast, then stepping out on her balcony overlooking 2nd Avenue while my mom cooked bacon (so grandma Clara wouldn't be in the kitchen while such things were happening. I'm sure there's enough rolling in the grave going on here to power a medium-sized city).

The cake was pretty fast -- hopefully it turns out well!

Let me know how it turns out! I decided to leave the cake until tomorrow. I'm a cultural Catholic and the Easter season lasts for 50 days, so I'm using that as an excuse.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1821 on: April 12, 2020, 06:41:37 PM »
Baked ham, orange maple glazed baby carrots, pan fried brussel sprouts, garlic mashed potatoes, rosemary bread and yellow cake with chocolate frosting for desert.  I am super chuffed with my solo isolation Easter meal.  I have packed up tons of extra side dishes and cake for the freezer and the ham will make a sandwich tomorrow and go in a big batch of split pea soup on Tuesday. 

Overall, I am loving the extra time for cooking. 

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1822 on: April 12, 2020, 07:25:31 PM »
I love that there's a giant nested comment thread between Jen in CO and Other Jen

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #1823 on: April 12, 2020, 07:57:37 PM »
Making beef barbacoa salad. Shredding the beef, adding to a garden salad mix, mixing up some sour cream and green tomatillo sauce for dressing. Shredded extra sharp cheddar and tomatoes and green chilies and carrots. Felt like a salad and had already thawed the beef barbacoa out, so there you go.

It's pretty good. :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1824 on: April 12, 2020, 08:04:14 PM »
Made a big pot of kale chorizo soup with keto habanero "corn" bread (gnomgnom if any one wants the recipe).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1825 on: April 12, 2020, 09:30:21 PM »
I love that there's a giant nested comment thread between Jen in CO and Other Jen

There's a reason why my username is "OtherJen." There are always, always multiple Jens. I'm a bit surprised we haven't yet taken over the country.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1826 on: April 12, 2020, 11:26:27 PM »

I had everything on hand, including fresh raspberries so I made this tonight. The sauce was the best part.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1827 on: April 13, 2020, 08:23:58 AM »

I had everything on hand, including fresh raspberries so I made this tonight. The sauce was the best part.

Yeah, I thought the cake needed a second lime. Or something.

Actually, I recently made a different yogurt cake (from a Susan Loomis book, On Rue Tatin) that used a stick of butter instead of oil, and is a marbled chocolate/butter cake, and my opinion is that one was quite a bit better. And not just because of the chocolate.

@grantmeaname, there's a reason why we're not shy about using our actual names -- they're not exactly a unique distinguisher!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1828 on: April 13, 2020, 08:40:45 AM »

Actually, I recently made a different yogurt cake (from a Susan Loomis book, On Rue Tatin) that used a stick of butter instead of oil, and is a marbled chocolate/butter cake, and my opinion is that one was quite a bit better. And not just because of the chocolate.

@grantmeaname, there's a reason why we're not shy about using our actual names -- they're not exactly a unique distinguisher!

Good to know. I might up the lime or add some lemon.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1829 on: April 13, 2020, 08:42:11 AM »
I made a slow cooker chicken tikka masala yesterday, and we'll have that tonight with rice

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1830 on: April 13, 2020, 09:04:41 AM »
Big pot of chili, and I'll use up the last of the buttermilk on a batch of buttermilk biscuits.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1831 on: April 13, 2020, 10:52:14 AM »

Good to know. I might up the lime or add some lemon.
It totally would have been better with more lime. I think I'll juice another one and put it on the top to soak into what's left of the finished cake. It will probably get sticky, but won't be noticeable once the sauce goes on top.

Oh, and the name thing made me laugh. When I was in HS, we had three people with my name in the same class. It's fallen out of favor now, so when I hear or see it, I know it's someone my age.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1832 on: April 13, 2020, 12:32:58 PM »
Okay, based on your recommendations, I made the cake and added the zest of 3 small limes (and a 1/2-tsp of vanilla extract). I also used melted butter instead of oil. I highly recommend both changes. It's so good. (I'm sampling a small piece for quality control.)

I'll probably have another small piece after dinner, which will be Salmon Greek Salad with Lemon Basil Dressing.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1833 on: April 13, 2020, 06:32:59 PM »
Okay, based on your recommendations, I made the cake and added the zest of 3 small limes (and a 1/2-tsp of vanilla extract). I also used melted butter instead of oil. I highly recommend both changes. It's so good. (I'm sampling a small piece for quality control.)

I'll probably have another small piece after dinner, which will be Salmon Greek Salad with Lemon Basil Dressing.

That sounds like a significant improvement to the cake!

It's been snowing since Saturday evening, and we're up to about a foot (not on the roads yet, which are still warm enough to melt and/or sublimate it off), so we're having smitten kitchen's lentil, sausage and kale soup with some bread the neighbors brought over. Except, it being quarantine month, it's chorizo, lentil, and bagged spinach which needs to be used up ASAP.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1834 on: April 14, 2020, 05:17:45 PM »

Good choices. I squeezed another lime on the top of the cake last night, right before dinner. When it was time to serve, it had all soaked in. It helped the flavor considerably. If I ever made it again, and I might, because DH bought and entire bag of limes at Costco, I will make it with your changes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1835 on: April 14, 2020, 05:33:40 PM »
I got a rotisserie chicken (along with toilet paper, woohoo!) at Costco and decided that I wanted chicken broccoli rice casserole for dinner, although with cauliflower because I actually had one of those in the fridge. My usual recipe calls for half-and-half and cream cheese, and I have neither. Turns out that Greek yogurt and mayonnaise work beautifully. Mmm, comfort food.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1836 on: April 14, 2020, 06:55:19 PM »
We had burgers with some frozen beef we got on sale a bit ago, green beans, and sweet potato tots (a splurge to get the frozen bag, but so delicious and toddler friendly)!

Tomorrow we'll use the rest of the ground beef for tacos, because DH forgot to freeze separate servings and we had to thaw it all in one fell swoop today... *le sigh...*

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1837 on: April 14, 2020, 07:08:46 PM »
Due to miscommunication on who was cooking tonight, it will be chicken tikka masala & rice again. I don't mind leftovers (and, typically plan for each meal to serve us twice), but we normally  mix it up so they aren't back to back.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1838 on: April 14, 2020, 08:02:39 PM »
We had a cuke that got nicked in the fridge and thus needed to be used, so we had basmati rice, raita, dal and saag. The saag turned out pretty well, the dal was ... OK, I guess.

I started meal planning for the next 10 days: pre-CV I had been shopping for a week at a time. I'm not sure I can fit 10 days of veggies and fruit in the fridge, but I usually go to two stores, so I can stagger the trips so we use up some of the stuff from (small local chain) before I go to Trader Joe's to get everything else.

Tomorrow: Cauliflower and black bean tacos, I think.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1839 on: April 14, 2020, 08:16:56 PM »
This afternoon I made my favorite lentils again in the instant pot. Lentils, coconut milk, canned diced tomatoes, curry powder, onion, garlic, ginger. It is so easy and always turns out great.

We desperately need to go grocery shopping so I was scraping the back of the cupboards for that one. We have half a loaf of bread, one egg, two bananas, one cucumber... doesn’t last long with four real eaters and one baby starting solids eating at home 24/7.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1840 on: April 14, 2020, 09:03:38 PM »
We had Cincinnati chili, fresh from the freezer. Just as good as when we made it over Christmas! The recipe my husband got from his mother is so tasty, I love the cinnamon In it, which really complements the lamb. We had it 5 ways (I believe that's the correct terminology).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1841 on: April 14, 2020, 09:40:24 PM »
Tonight was Pad Thai. I still have a bunch of Pad Thai Rice Noodles in the pantry, but this was my last package of tofu. Normally, I would cook the chicken separately for the carnivores, but I was feeling lazy. I cut the chicken into big chunks and cooked it all together. Then I avoided the chicken. Meh, a little chicken essence in the dish won't kill me. It was kinda bland, so I gave it another squirt of sriracha and it worked. I start with a basic Mark Bittman recipe and go from there. Tonight was fancy because I actually had fresh Tamarind on hand.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 08:00:43 AM by Dicey »

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1842 on: April 14, 2020, 10:07:55 PM »
Hamburgers from the ground beef I panic-bought at the store a few weeks ago (and froze).  With caramelized onions, roasted potatoes, and green beans.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1843 on: April 15, 2020, 05:18:30 PM »
Pizza.  Divided my dough into 4 individual pizzas - three got caramelized mushroom/red onion/tomato, and one got sweet bell peppers.  And now I have 3 frozen pizzas for later.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1844 on: April 15, 2020, 05:33:11 PM »
Big green salad with chopped rotisserie chicken, salami, and mozzarella cheese, with homemade red wine vinaigrette. I’m taking advantage of the salad mix, cucumbers, and mushrooms from yesterday’s Costco run.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1845 on: April 15, 2020, 06:45:11 PM »
We were supposed to have an indian feast but my SO didn't go to the grocery store in the morning as planned (hot green peppers necessary for the meal)--so I will make that tomorrow. Tonight we defrosted some chili from a few weeks ago.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1846 on: April 15, 2020, 09:10:30 PM »
Tonight I made pasta with sautéed mushrooms and zucchini with a creamy tomato sauce I got grocery shopping today. I used up this random bag of brown rice quinoa pasta I had bought on a whim long ago. I like the flavor of the pasta but it fell apart too easily. If I get it again I’ll try cooking it a little less and see if it holds up better.

I braved Trader Joe’s today and stocked up for another week so we will have nicer meals for the next few days.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1847 on: April 15, 2020, 09:55:49 PM »
Stirfry chicken with bok choy, shiitake mushrooms and kelp noodles.  Used up a jar of spicy bean paste to marinate the chicken, and tossed a few cashews on top.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1848 on: April 16, 2020, 10:30:41 AM »
Thursdays are typically "use up the last of the prepped meals" nights. Here's what we're having:
-2 kids eating spaghetti & meatballs
-Husband eating salmon & coleslaw
-I'll be eating the last of the chicken tikka masala with rice

After that, the fridge will largely be cleared of leftovers, and we'll start again.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1849 on: April 16, 2020, 01:50:05 PM »
The grocery store was super depressing today.  There was actually TP, and some other aisles were more well-stocked than last time I went (chips, cereal) but the produce section was decimated as was all the rest of the periphery (milk, deli, etc.).  Soooo....I was unable to buy all necessary ingredients with which to compose ANY of the meals we had planned.  Luckily, we had previously stocked up on pasta and San Marzano tomatoes, so we can do Hazan sauce tonight.  We'll make it with salad because I grabbed a nice-looking bunch of green leaf lettuce only to find it felt super limp, but then felt obligated to buy it since I had touched it....so now we need to eat it ASAP.

Husband will do another shopping trip tomorrow and hopefully be able to find all the other necessities.  In the meantime, it's been quite a while since we've done the Hazan sauce, so no hardship there.