Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950126 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1750 on: March 30, 2020, 08:45:10 AM »
I have a late call with APAC, so we'll be having leftovers. Most likely, chicken pesto casserole over spinach

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1751 on: March 30, 2020, 11:35:04 AM »
Saw a NYT cooking article for eggs baked over sauteed onions.  Planning to try that, but I'm going to use leeks and add some sliced new potatoes to make it a one pan meal. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1752 on: March 30, 2020, 07:03:35 PM »
Penne pasta with red sauce from the freezer, and a big green salad on the side. My mood is very low today, and that was as much cooking as I could manage. The carbs and vegetables helped, mood-wise.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1753 on: March 30, 2020, 08:23:29 PM »
Sweet potato, mushroom, and black bean tacos (https://showmetheyummy.com/sweet-potato-tacos-recipe/).  Topped with red onion, lots of cilantro, and a little sour cream.  Pretty tasty.

Now I have a stack of corn tortillas (which I never buy), so I'm thinking breakfast tacos tomorrow morning, and perhaps another taco variation later in the week.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1754 on: March 30, 2020, 08:29:44 PM »
Broccoli quesidillas (big flour tortilla, refried beans, layer of cooked, chopped broccoli, cheese, fold in half, cook in a hot skillet in a little oil). Falls into the kid's category of "monkey food" (as in "could be cooked by a", not "tastes like")

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1755 on: March 31, 2020, 03:53:35 PM »
Saw a NYT cooking article for eggs baked over sauteed onions.  Planning to try that, but I'm going to use leeks and add some sliced new potatoes to make it a one pan meal.

Ended up with cream of broccoli and leek soup since it was just a cold, rainy day that called for soup.

Tonight a big salad and a redux on the frico chicken breast I made last week, with a side of sauteed onions.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1756 on: March 31, 2020, 05:22:45 PM »
My son has a beef roast on the smoker.
I'm pickling and canning asparagus, so we'll have some regular asparagus sauteed in garlic and oil.  I may use some of the ends from canning to make cream of asparagus soup tomorrow, if I'm feeling motivated.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1757 on: March 31, 2020, 10:08:21 PM »
Red beans and rice (https://www.ranchogordo.com/blogs/recipes/red-beans-and-rice).  I haven’t seen a smoked ham hock in the store for weeks, so I used a smoked pork jowl and some andouille sausage (I don’t usually put sausage in my red beans and rice, but BF likes it).  Sautéed okra on the side.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1758 on: March 31, 2020, 10:24:13 PM »
Romaine Lettuce, cherry tomatoes, salsa, and grilled chicken breast. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1759 on: April 01, 2020, 05:30:59 AM »
I think I'm going to do curried chickpeas with rice.  I've got a block of tofu that I need to do something with, but I'm the only one who eats it, so I'll probably bake it this weekend for pad thai (or just make a nice dipping sauce and eat it like chicken nuggets).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1760 on: April 01, 2020, 06:14:46 AM »
Tacos with turkey and diced mushrooms, topped with roasted bell peppers and red onion and homemade guacamole. This should use up some veggies before they wilt or rot.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1761 on: April 01, 2020, 11:50:05 AM »
I'm planning to make a keto friendly chicken alfredo dish. It will use some heavy cream I need to get through. I'll serve it over cauliflower rice for my husband, and with pasta for others. This will use the last of our chicken, and we haven't been able to find any for three weeks. So, let's hope it turns out well!

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1762 on: April 01, 2020, 12:06:43 PM »
Big salad with leftovers on top - most likely pulled pork.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1763 on: April 01, 2020, 01:40:24 PM »
I made a nice red sauce with "pork juice" I saved from kalua pork, a jar of home-canned tomatoes, and two small cans of tomato pastes, seasoned appropriately.

Some for pasta, some for a pizza (we'll either make pizza tonight or tomorrow).  Since I made the sauce, I might save the cream of asparagus soup for tomorrow.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1764 on: April 02, 2020, 12:17:16 AM »
Made a double batch of this hungarian mushroom soup last night, so had leftovers for dinner tonight. Super tasty if you like shrooms and can easily be made vegetarian if you use veggie broth instead of chicken stock: https://themodernproper.com/hungarian-mushroom-soup
Ooh, I have a ton of mushrooms to use up. I have no sour cream, but I have whole milk yogurt and all the other ingredients, so this soup will be on the menu this week. Thanks!
I made this tonight, using stock from my freezer, which I'm trying to clean out. Definite keeper!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1765 on: April 02, 2020, 03:16:26 AM »
Now that the food supply chain has stabilized in China and we are able to find most everything we need, and get decent delivery times, we are trying to use up our emergency stash of food.

Today, we are having noodles with pork ribs braised in leftover bulgogi sauce that I found in the fridge, along with frozen baby corn I found at the back of our freezer. We also have a fresh loaf of bread baking in our bread machine.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with two packages of vegetarian meat floss that I bought in a moment of panic and weakness back at the end of January.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1766 on: April 02, 2020, 10:35:13 AM »
Last night we had https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020754-spicy-white-bean-stew-with-broccoli-rabe which was really delicious, especially with this: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/algerian-flatbread-241505 (also delicious, and the couple that were left sitting on the counter overnight are not yet too stale. Win!)

We already have a pot roast slow cooking in the oven for this evening: it's 30F out and currently there is freezing drizzle falling from the grey sky. We'll have it with mashed potatoes (with parsley that needs using up), roasted brussels sprouts, and a baked butternut squash. Leftover cake from last night, if there's any left by then.

We're also taking advantage of the weather to bake some bread -- we started some sourdough last evening, and hopefully it'll be ready to bake by this afternoon/evening. (the house is cold, so rising is going ... slowly.)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1767 on: April 02, 2020, 11:14:23 AM »
Last night we had https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020754-spicy-white-bean-stew-with-broccoli-rabe which was really delicious, especially with this: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/algerian-flatbread-241505 (also delicious, and the couple that were left sitting on the counter overnight are not yet too stale. Win!)

We already have a pot roast slow cooking in the oven for this evening: it's 30F out and currently there is freezing drizzle falling from the grey sky. We'll have it with mashed potatoes (with parsley that needs using up), roasted brussels sprouts, and a baked butternut squash. Leftover cake from last night, if there's any left by then.

We're also taking advantage of the weather to bake some bread -- we started some sourdough last evening, and hopefully it'll be ready to bake by this afternoon/evening. (the house is cold, so rising is going ... slowly.)
@jeninco, you can dry parsley so it lasts for ages. A bread proofing tip: find a smallish cupboard, empty it out, then use a hair dryer to heat the space until the walls get warm. Then put covered dough in and close the door.  It's easier to just warm your oven a bit, but if that won't work, a cupboard will. You can also use your microwave if you're not using it, because it has a better seal. Just boil water for a couple of minutes (make tea!) to warm it up.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1768 on: April 02, 2020, 11:37:33 AM »
]

Join us in the Sourdough thread! https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/do-it-yourself-forum!/the-sourdough-thread/

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1769 on: April 02, 2020, 01:10:55 PM »
I'm planning to make a keto friendly chicken alfredo dish. It will use some heavy cream I need to get through. I'll serve it over cauliflower rice for my husband, and with pasta for others. This will use the last of our chicken, and we haven't been able to find any for three weeks. So, let's hope it turns out well!

We opted for takeout last night, so tonight will really be the chicken alfredo dish

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1770 on: April 02, 2020, 01:37:51 PM »
]

Join us in the Sourdough thread! https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/do-it-yourself-forum!/the-sourdough-thread/

That was what inspired me this time around!
(Properly, it's a levain: the initial piece was a hunk of regular bread dough that I held back, rather than an honest-to-gosh sourdough starter. It's been through several iterations by now, though...)

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1771 on: April 03, 2020, 12:12:46 PM »
Chicken tacos, with black beans and maybe a salad on the side.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1772 on: April 03, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »
Probably sandwiches and salad.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1773 on: April 03, 2020, 03:14:29 PM »
We always try to use the last of our prepped food before we move on to new recipes. The kids don't love it, and it gets a little boring, but it's a carryover from crazy insane work weeks & long commutes. Those are now gone (mostly), but minimizing waste is now a bigger priority than ever.

So, we'll have a smorgasbord of leftovers that each diner will select from
Salmon (x1)
Chicken alfredo
Pasta & spinach
Meatballs & pasta

Our menu for the week is up in the air, as we wait to see what my husband can get at the grocery store this week. We're thinking carnitas & perhaps kebabs & rice.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1774 on: April 03, 2020, 09:09:02 PM »
Tonight was a bagged salad from Costco that DH picked up on his last run. Served it with Nigella Lawson's Linguine with Lemon, Garlic, Thyme and Mushrooms. It calls for fresh thyme, which I did not have, but I had a fresh homegrown lemon, which nicely masked the fact that I used dried thyme. Sauteed a couple of Aidell's sausage for the carnivores and called it good.

Tomorrow is DSS's birthday. He wants tacos, which is easy-button and I'm going to make a Smith Island Cake, which should be fun Thanks to @SwordGuy for mentioning it. It's a completely new thing for me.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1775 on: April 03, 2020, 09:27:28 PM »
Tonight was a bagged salad from Costco that DH picked up on his last run. Served it with Nigella Lawson's Linguine with Lemon, Garlic, Thyme and Mushrooms. It calls for fresh thyme, which I did not have, but I had a fresh homegrown lemon, which nicely masked the fact that I used dried thyme. Sauteed a couple of Aidell's sausage for the carnivores and called it good.

Tomorrow is DSS's birthday. He wants tacos, which is easy-button and I'm going to make a Smith Island Cake, which should be fun Thanks to @SwordGuy for mentioning it. It's a completely new thing for me.
Umm...   You're welcome???     I'm confused because I don't remember doing any such thing or even ever having heard of a Smith Island Cake.

Am I getting Alzheimers or are you confused instead?  :)

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1776 on: April 03, 2020, 11:45:14 PM »
Our version of chilli con carne.

Salsa made from onions, chillis, garlic, capsicums and tomatoes.

Meat sauce from mince, baked beans, paprika and cumin.

Then served as baked potatoes, meat sauce, grated cheese, salsa and greek yoghurt. 

It is cold here, so comfort food.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1777 on: April 04, 2020, 01:03:15 AM »

Umm...   You're welcome???     I'm confused because I don't remember doing any such thing or even ever having heard of a Smith Island Cake.

Whoops! It was @nereo. Sorry BTW, the cake is proving to be a pain in the ass so far.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1778 on: April 04, 2020, 07:44:02 AM »

Whoops! It was @nereo. Sorry BTW, the cake is proving to be a pain in the ass so far.

Just looked up that cake. Even from the photo, it looks like a pain in the ass and I commend you for trying it. I bet the finished product will be delicious!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1779 on: April 04, 2020, 07:49:56 AM »
We’re planning on zucchini fritters (will use up the last of the zucchini and scallions), roasted sweet potatoes, and either smoked sausage or eggs.

Tomorrow’s plan is beans and rice (will use up the last of the bell peppers).

I think I will need to brave the store on Monday or Tuesday morning. We seem to be able to manage 1.5 weeks before needing to restock most of our fresh vegetables.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1780 on: April 04, 2020, 08:07:32 AM »
We seem to be able to manage 1.5 weeks before needing to restock most of our fresh vegetables.

That is what I'm finding too.  I have been trying to stretch out to two weeks, but it's probably pointless because DH doesn't think he can live without bananas and will go to the store every week for them.  Hoping I can grab some frozen veg this week; the last few weeks the freezer aisles have been entirely wiped out.

Just now putting together a meal plan that will put off shopping until Tuesday morning.
 Tonight I'm thinking stirfry chicken over spaghetti squash.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1781 on: April 04, 2020, 08:28:22 AM »
I'm still working on the menu, but I'm thinking Perisan kebabs, rice & yogurt sauce.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1782 on: April 04, 2020, 04:33:53 PM »
Since we eat mostly vegetarian my hubby is in charge of preparing meat if he wants it. Yesterday he did the grocery shop and came home with both ribs & meatloaf. Tonight he is making the ribs and I'll do some baby smashed potatoes to go with it...yesterday we make mediterranean-style pizza with sourdough crust. Tomorrow I'm making a spicy black bean stew w/ butternut squash.. heaps of good leftovers..

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1783 on: April 04, 2020, 05:53:07 PM »
Last night was homemade pizza (with homemade crust and sauce, easy and delicious!)

Tonight will be a loaded cauliflower thing with.... something.  Probably just use up some of the beef my son cooked on the smoker earlier this week.  Otherwise he can dig around the fridge and see what looks good.

Maybe I'll make some rye drop biscuits too.  Those sound good and I have a ton of rye flour on hand.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1784 on: April 04, 2020, 07:50:12 PM »
Last night was homemade pizza for us too. We tried a new one, potato and rosemary. Tasty. Added to our usual margherita and goat cheese/fig/shallot (we always do 3 small ones).

Tonight was a noodle dish DH found recipe for in the paper.  I think it was Hong Kong style, with actually 5 separate dishes that you mix together to your liking? It felt like kind of a lot of work, but was a nice change of pace.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1785 on: April 04, 2020, 09:07:09 PM »
We also had pizza last night, with salad.

This evening DS1 used the leftover pot roast from Thursday to make a shepherd's pie, with red lentils (they completely break down), onion, edamame, corn, and ?? I think there was something else in there? It had the usual mashed potato covering, and was lovely.

We have a cauliflower to use up in tomorrow's dinner. I'm thinking indian-ish.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1786 on: April 04, 2020, 10:47:42 PM »
We also had pizza last night, with salad.

This evening DS1 used the leftover pot roast from Thursday to make a shepherd's pie, with red lentils (they completely break down), onion, edamame, corn, and ?? I think there was something else in there? It had the usual mashed potato covering, and was lovely.

We have a cauliflower to use up in tomorrow's dinner. I'm thinking indian-ish.

We ended up just eating the loaded cauliflower (I have a headache, son will finish the super hot goulash he made last night).  I still need to use up the beef, and this made me realize it's been a while since I've made cottage pie.  So, cottage pie it is!  (tomorrow...)

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1787 on: April 05, 2020, 02:53:42 PM »
I have a batch of garbanzo beans in the crockpot, so I'll do Chickpea "Chicken" Salad sandwiches to use up the celery I bought for the red beans and rice.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1788 on: April 05, 2020, 03:20:55 PM »
Crockpot carnitas, cheese bread (tried corn bread, but my cornmeal had bugs :-() & guacamole with no cilantro

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1789 on: April 05, 2020, 03:39:24 PM »
Tacos: some of our bulk ground beef somehow found on sale this week (the remainder of which we will freeze and should last us through most of April); shredded cheddar; salsa; avocado; sour cream; El Milagro tortillas (YUM).

Maybe supplement with some stale chips in the fridge with the dregs of some queso dip; then it's likely one of us (two, if you count the toddler) will have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1790 on: April 05, 2020, 03:39:44 PM »
Yep, tonight will be beans —a mix of Ojo de Cabrito and Rio Zape from Rancho Gordo, refried with mirepoix and various peppers and seasonings— and brown rice, topped with cheese and salsa and served with corn tortillas.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1791 on: April 05, 2020, 04:58:04 PM »
Feeling depressed.  going to eat a whole bag of microwave popcorn tonight and what Schitt's Creek all night

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1792 on: April 05, 2020, 06:15:07 PM »
I made a pot of chili and some from-scratch buttermilk biscuits.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1793 on: April 06, 2020, 11:50:48 AM »
My 13 y.o ended up making chicken tenders last night, so tonight we'll have crockpot carnitas.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1794 on: April 06, 2020, 01:23:10 PM »
Breakfast for dinner: leftover bacon from chili late last week, scrambled eggs with cheese, biscuits, the dregs of some fruit on their last legs.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1795 on: April 06, 2020, 01:51:26 PM »
I scored a rotisserie chicken and big packs of salad greens, mushrooms, avocados, and cucumbers at the warehouse club this morning. We're having giant fresh salads topped with chicken, avocado, crumbled feta, and vinaigrette dressing. It's warm and sunny, and this meal sounds so good.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1796 on: April 06, 2020, 02:54:18 PM »
Tonight we'll have beef stew & chocolate cake for dessert.

We're cooking the stew  on the wood stove right now.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1797 on: April 07, 2020, 06:02:32 PM »
DS19 has decided he's bored and wants to take over more of the cooking.

So, last night he made us beet risotto (I'm still writing and shopping for the menus), and tonight he's making a layered, "Mexican-inspired" casserole of corn tortillas, seasoned beef, beans, and corn (frozen) and cheese. We'll have it with slaw, and hopefully there will be enough for leftovers.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1798 on: April 07, 2020, 07:05:31 PM »
Cooking is both a great boredom reliever and important life skill. I hope dinner was as tasty as it sounded, @jeninco !

I made the beef and cabbage stir-fry from Budget Bytes, except I replaced the beef with shredded rotisserie chicken and sliced mushrooms. I like it better this way.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1799 on: April 08, 2020, 12:07:57 PM »
We're having leftover chicken tenders over cauliflower rice. Plus, salad