Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950106 times)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1600 on: February 11, 2020, 09:39:33 AM »
Probably beef and bok choi hot pot -- we have leftover chuck roast from a few nights ago that can be the base, and there's leftover rice that needs using up.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1601 on: February 11, 2020, 12:39:33 PM »
Baked mahi-mahi, with sauteed green beans/orange bell pepper/red onion on the side. Maybe a baked sweet potato if we feel like our plates are missing something.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1602 on: February 13, 2020, 10:59:18 AM »
We've been eating this spicy red lentil sauce on pasta all week. It's a vegan take on a bolognese sauce.

The cooking time for the lentils in the recipe is much too long. I reduced it to ten minutes and swapped out the diced tomatoes for broccoli. Other than that, it's a fantastic recipe. It's the meatiest-tasting thing I've ever made that has no meat in it. Even my picky toddler ate it happily.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1603 on: February 13, 2020, 12:05:44 PM »
Sloppy joe baked potatoes tonight with broccoli. Easy weeknight dinner!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1604 on: February 14, 2020, 04:03:29 PM »
I'm back to my "Chinese yakisoba noodles, squash/zucchini/asparagus, small amount of meat" dinners this week.  They are fast and easy, and I haven't tired of them yet.  I pretty much stir fry everything, season it well (no sauces), and enjoy.  For a little extra, I'll sometimes add a spoonful of "Spicy Chili Crisp". 

Outside of that, we've had wings, pot roast, poor man's stroganoff, etc this week.  I was going to bake some chocolate crinkle cookies for a dessert for the week, but Fred Meyer had big pudding cakes for $4, so I bought a chocolate cake instead.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1605 on: February 14, 2020, 09:12:13 PM »
Lamb chops, roasted Brussels sprouts and homegrown fingerling potatoes with horseradish cream.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1606 on: February 16, 2020, 05:15:44 PM »
Warm lentil salad with carrots, scallions, zucchini, feta, pine nuts, and lemon-dill vinaigrette. Roasted sweet potatoes on the side.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1607 on: February 16, 2020, 05:40:14 PM »
I made my first chicken pot pie from scratch! Well, I bought the pie crust, but didn’t realize that frozen pie shells don’t come with the top layer. So then I whipped up a simple oil crust for the top. The best part was that the oil crust tasted better than the frozen pie shell. So next time I’m just going to make my own crust. It was delicious!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1608 on: February 16, 2020, 07:09:07 PM »
Butter chicken and cauliflower rice.  Yum.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1609 on: February 17, 2020, 06:05:29 PM »
Baked salmon seasoned with Penzey's Berbere spice blend. Roasted cauliflower and quinoa salad from Budget Bytes on the side. IMO the salad benefited greatly from the addition of juice from half a lemon at the end, and from adding a generous sprinkle of smoked paprika to the veggies before roasting.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1610 on: February 17, 2020, 09:38:09 PM »
Baked salmon seasoned with Penzey's Berbere spice blend. Roasted cauliflower and quinoa salad from Budget Bytes on the side. IMO the salad benefited greatly from the addition of juice from half a lemon at the end, and from adding a generous sprinkle of smoked paprika to the veggies before roasting.

This and the lentil salad both sounds terrific -- thanks for the link!

We were out of town for the weekend, but I took a giant, mostly-veggie GF lasagne (the current Smitten Kitchen recipe, plus a little italian sausage), which was mostly devoured.

This evening, we had homemade pizza, because everyone on the trip overbought salami, so we used it on up pizza with grilled eggplant and some sautéed mushrooms. And asparagus (not on the pizza).

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1611 on: February 19, 2020, 05:27:45 PM »
Cottage pie for days...

There are only 2 of us.  The other half may go to a friend just diagnosed with cancer, although her kid objects to veggies in the main dish.   What, they're finely diced, and very well cooked.  Besides - mashed potatoes!  Cheese!

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1612 on: February 19, 2020, 06:05:16 PM »
Whipped up some chicken Chile  Verde with pan-roasted broccoli on the side.  I’d made up the Chile Verde sauce a week ago and had it frozen and ready to go.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1613 on: February 19, 2020, 09:07:39 PM »
Whipped up some chicken Chile  Verde with pan-roasted broccoli on the side.  I’d made up the Chile Verde sauce a week ago and had it frozen and ready to go.

Ha, "great minds"... We had red beef chili, flavored with chipotles in adobo (I just open a new big can every so often, grind the whole thing up with a stick blender, and then keep what we didn't use in a jar in the fridge. It's delicious!).

We had it with chips, avocado, "mexican" slaw (shredded cabbage and carrots with a little rice vinegar) and a touch of grated cheese.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1614 on: February 20, 2020, 07:22:31 AM »

Ha, "great minds"... We had red beef chili, flavored with chipotles in adobo (I just open a new big can every so often, grind the whole thing up with a stick blender, and then keep what we didn't use in a jar in the fridge. It's delicious!).

We had it with chips, avocado, "mexican" slaw (shredded cabbage and carrots with a little rice vinegar) and a touch of grated cheese.

I'm going to have to try this.  I have a bunch in the freezer right now. 

Tonight I think is going to be sweet potato and peanut stew.  Or maybe a Tex-Mex polenta bowl. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1615 on: February 20, 2020, 07:32:57 AM »

Chipotles in adobo is such a magic ingredient.

I think tonight will be pizza with an almond flour crust. I have so mushrooms that need to be used, so probably those and pepperoni will be the toppings.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1616 on: February 20, 2020, 11:39:35 AM »
Leftover Beyond bolognese with rotini. :-)

SO wants to go more or less vegetarian, and I see no reason not to support him on it, so we are doing a lot of meat substitutes right now (for my sake as much as his). I still have a lot of meat in my freezer but I figure we can work through it and replace with veg-friendly items as we go.

Things like Beyond/Impossible products are really expensive, but tofu, beans, TVP and seitan are not, so I’ll transition to those pretty quickly I think.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1617 on: February 20, 2020, 11:51:38 AM »
Last night was a clean out the fridge soup with some leftover carrot top pesto, a single carrot, a bunch of kale, a parm rind, stock from leftover chicken bones, and the last onion from the pantry, as well as some dried tomatoes and chicken sausage that is way too salty to eat on its own.

Tonight we'll have salads and I'll probably thaw out some shredded lamb that I stuck in the freezer a few weeks ago.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1618 on: February 20, 2020, 11:52:51 AM »

SO wants to go more or less vegetarian, and I see no reason not to support him on it, so we are doing a lot of meat substitutes right now (for my sake as much as his). I still have a lot of meat in my freezer but I figure we can work through it and replace with veg-friendly items as we go.

Things like Beyond/Impossible products are really expensive, but tofu, beans, TVP and seitan are not, so I’ll transition to those pretty quickly I think.

Lentils are excellent in things like tacos. I cook them separately and add them to sauteed vegetables, then add taco seasoning like I would for meat tacos. That may have been one of the first vegan meals that my husband ate with no complaints.

Black beans and sweet potatoes are a really good combo in chili. Smoked paprika is wonderful for a meaty, smoky flavor without needing bacon or ham.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1619 on: February 20, 2020, 12:01:00 PM »

While not specifically going for vegetarian/vegan, my wife and I are consciously trying to cook less meat at home. For us this works well as a happy medium- we'll sub out the meat in a dish (or just make a meatless dish to begin with, like eggplant parm or something) but we don't worry about using things like fish sauce, worcestershire, etc and we still use chicken stock sometimes.

To that end, we made sweet potato and black bean chili yesterday that we'll be able to eat for a few days, and we're eying this veg Shepherd's Pie recipe for this weekend: https://www.budgetbytes.com/vegetarian-shepherds-pie/

we both love beans, lentils and mushrooms so these are some easy subs for us to make!

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1620 on: February 20, 2020, 12:08:21 PM »

Chile Verde is our "go to" dish when we go out for Mexican.  I finally tried to make it about 2 months ago and...success!!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1621 on: February 20, 2020, 02:33:04 PM »

While not specifically going for vegetarian/vegan, my wife and I are consciously trying to cook less meat at home. For us this works well as a happy medium- we'll sub out the meat in a dish (or just make a meatless dish to begin with, like eggplant parm or something) but we don't worry about using things like fish sauce, worcestershire, etc and we still use chicken stock sometimes.

To that end, we made sweet potato and black bean chili yesterday that we'll be able to eat for a few days, and we're eying this veg Shepherd's Pie recipe for this weekend: https://www.budgetbytes.com/vegetarian-shepherds-pie/

we both love beans, lentils and mushrooms so these are some easy subs for us to make!

I offer this recipe: mushroom bourguignon by Smitten Kitchen. It is so, so good.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1622 on: February 20, 2020, 02:39:45 PM »
I offer this recipe: mushroom bourguignon by Smitten Kitchen. It is so, so good.

Yep, that's on my list to make! Another great shroom dish is the BA mushroom carbonara: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/mushroom-carbonara

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1623 on: February 20, 2020, 05:24:57 PM »
I'm making my dad's "loaded cauliflower" recipe for dinner tonight.  I have no idea what I'll do for the main food-- probably just leftover kalua pork.

The rest of the weekend may include "Meat pies in a standing crust" (Townsend's recipe from youtube, it's good stuff), tamale pie, and cottage pie (because I saw someone post it above, and I have some potatoes I need to use up).  One more thing may be cheeseburger chowder.  It all depends on how much downtime I have a work to make stuff up (day shifts, so make it at work, cook it at home for dinner).

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1624 on: February 20, 2020, 06:17:27 PM »

Yep, that's on my list to make! Another great shroom dish is the BA mushroom carbonara: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/mushroom-carbonara

They both look so good.  On my list now.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1625 on: February 21, 2020, 05:05:25 AM »

Lentils are excellent in things like tacos. I cook them separately and add them to sauteed vegetables, then add taco seasoning like I would for meat tacos. That may have been one of the first vegan meals that my husband ate with no complaints.

Black beans and sweet potatoes are a really good combo in chili. Smoked paprika is wonderful for a meaty, smoky flavor without needing bacon or ham.

All of this.  Black beans and sweet potatoes are one of my favorite combos right now.  Lentils make good sloppy joes too.  I like the Knives Over Forks recipe for sloppy joes, but find that it needs a small can of tomato paste to get the consistency right.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #1626 on: February 21, 2020, 07:57:33 AM »

From a texture standpoint - jackfruit makes a good "carnitas" substitute. I've done tacos, as well as BBQ pulled-style. I've also had them curried before and it was incredible!

Haven't tried this particular recipe yet, but to give you an idea:
https://minimalistbaker.com/bbq-jackfruit-sandwiches-with-avocado-slaw/

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1627 on: February 21, 2020, 11:44:55 AM »
Roasted Cauliflower (with some spices: google for recipes) with black beans also makes great vegetarian or vegan tacos. We were pleasantly surprised.

Edited to add: last night, a sort of peanut-noodle mashup, with various veg (snow peas, a tired-looking red pepper, a poblano pepper, some cabbage to increase the veg content) and some fried tofu.  It was a one-pan dinner, even if not everything cooked at the same time (the tofu needed to be fried first, separately).

Tonight: probably leftovers of the mostly-quesidilla sort. I go shopping on the weekend, so it's a little hodgepodge this evening.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:47:06 AM by jeninco »

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1628 on: February 21, 2020, 11:48:20 AM »
The closest thing my town has to real Mexican street food serves a roasted cauliflower and a chickpea taco.  They are both really, really good.  Especially with avocado.  There's also a potato taco, but I think I'd prefer sweet potato to white potato.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1629 on: February 22, 2020, 06:38:23 PM »
Spaghetti squash with red meat sauce from the freezer.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1630 on: February 23, 2020, 08:56:39 AM »
Tandoori spiced lamb ribs and palak paneer.  I think I have a jar of pear chutney from a co-worker to go with it.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1631 on: February 23, 2020, 09:02:59 AM »
I'm going to resurrect a childhood memory and make some tater tot green been casserole for the family. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1632 on: February 23, 2020, 02:49:48 PM »
Black beans cooked with onion, peppers, and fresh cilantro, topped with Herdez guacamole salsa and cheese and served with corn tortillas.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1633 on: February 23, 2020, 03:20:45 PM »
Black bean soup.  I canned a bunch this morning and had a can that didn't seal and another couple that I don't totally trust the seal on (they don't sound right when I tap on them).  So I'm going to go ahead and use them tonight and tomorrow night.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1634 on: February 23, 2020, 03:38:44 PM »
Continuing the bean theme, tonight's dinner was 18 bean soup.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1635 on: February 25, 2020, 06:51:59 PM »
Budget Bytes’ sheet pan kielbasa and cabbage, with turkey kielbasa from Aldi. It was a very busy and gloomy (weather-wise) day, and this was the only meal that sounded appealing from both the kitchen prep and flavor perspectives.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1636 on: February 26, 2020, 09:56:03 AM »
Budget Bytes’ sheet pan kielbasa and cabbage, with turkey kielbasa from Aldi. It was a very busy and gloomy (weather-wise) day, and this was the only meal that sounded appealing from both the kitchen prep and flavor perspectives.

I may have asked you this before, but how do you make this be sufficient for dinner (without just eating a ton of meat)? Did you add potatoes or something? (I imagine you could start by roasting potatoes, and then add the other stuff, in fact https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/sausage-and-potato-roast-with-arugula/  is somewhat similar to that thought.)

Last night: kid was home sick, so we had http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/251837/curried-squash-chicken-soup/ which I clipped out and have had for forever (except we used a freshly roasted kobocha squash, whole-fat coconut milk, and bok choi since that was what we could find. And green curry paste.)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1637 on: February 26, 2020, 11:09:27 AM »

I may have asked you this before, but how do you make this be sufficient for dinner (without just eating a ton of meat)? Did you add potatoes or something? (I imagine you could start by roasting potatoes, and then add the other stuff, in fact https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/sausage-and-potato-roast-with-arugula/  is somewhat similar to that thought.)

Last night: kid was home sick, so we had http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/251837/curried-squash-chicken-soup/ which I clipped out and have had for forever (except we used a freshly roasted kobocha squash, whole-fat coconut milk, and bok choi since that was what we could find. And green curry paste.)

I'm only cooking for two adults, so it's enough for me and husband and husband's lunch the next day. You'd want to double everything if cooking for a family.

I roasted the cabbage and kielbasa on one half-sheet pan and about 1.5 lbs of potatoes on a jelly roll pan. A single recipe made enough sauce for a double batch. With the potatoes sliced into ~1/4-inch-thick pieces, everything roasted in ~30 min (I flipped everything once for even browning).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1638 on: February 26, 2020, 11:13:19 AM »
I have a block of tofu that needs to be used, so I think I'm going to try pressing it, frying it in cubes, and using those as a paneer substitute in a quick curry with chickpeas and spinach. That sounds like a nice warming dinner on a snowy day.

Edit: I cubed the tofu, tossed it with oil and seasonings, roasted it at 375°F for 30 min, and mixed the cubes into the curry at the end. SO good.

(Curry recipe: Curried Chickpeas with Spinach from Budget Bytes, with only one 15-oz can of chickpeas and 1/3 cup Greek yogurt and a dash of cayenne stirred in with the tofu.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 06:36:20 PM by OtherJen »

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1639 on: February 26, 2020, 12:31:48 PM »
I think I'm making carrot/peanut soup.  It's got a similar taste profile to several meals I've made recently.  It's obvious that I was craving Thai food when I made my meal plan last time.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1640 on: February 27, 2020, 01:29:12 PM »
I cooked up a batch of chicken tinga for tonight. I will be at choir practice, so it's up to husband if he wants to eat it with rice or corn tortillas.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1641 on: February 29, 2020, 04:02:04 PM »
Loaded cauliflower salad - lightly cooked cauliflower dressed with a bit of pickle juice and mayo and tossed together with green onions, olives, ham, cheese, hardboiled egg, marinated artichoke hearts and pickle slices. Easy and very yummy.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1642 on: February 29, 2020, 04:29:41 PM »
Loaded cauliflower salad - lightly cooked cauliflower dressed with a bit of pickle juice and mayo and tossed together with green onions, olives, ham, cheese, hardboiled egg, marinated artichoke hearts and pickle slices. Easy and very yummy.

This sounds great. Will give it a try.

My husband is making beef kebabs, rice & yogurt sauce tonight. One of my favorites.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1643 on: February 29, 2020, 08:32:38 PM »
That cauliflower salad sounds really good.

Husband made crab cakes and quinoa-veg pilaf for dinner. I am very spoiled.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1644 on: March 01, 2020, 03:01:07 PM »
Grilled Salmon (it was on sale this week), with a northern-italian-inspired dish of sautéed yellow potatoes and loads of kale (with loads of garlic) and asparagus. Pear, Chocolate, brown-butter cake.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1645 on: March 01, 2020, 04:09:17 PM »
I’m turning a rotisserie chicken carcass and some of the meat (and assorted veggies, probably some rice) into soup.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1646 on: March 01, 2020, 04:28:21 PM »
Dill pickle chicken. One of my sons concoctions. Pretty good. With a side of pan roasted broccoli.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1647 on: March 01, 2020, 06:04:25 PM »
I made a Keto friendly chicken alfredo bake, using the rotisserie chicken my husband came home with yesterday. Regular chicken was on the list, but Costco was out.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1648 on: March 01, 2020, 06:33:32 PM »
I made a Keto friendly chicken alfredo bake, using the rotisserie chicken my husband came home with yesterday. Regular chicken was on the list, but Costco was out.

You may already know this, but if not, Costco rotisserie chicken carcasses make very good stock. That was the base of our dinner soup.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1649 on: March 01, 2020, 08:06:31 PM »
@OtherJen - I don't buy the rotisserie chickens from Costco often, but when I do, I always turn them into stock. Totally agree, they make fabulous stock.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!