Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950125 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1550 on: January 26, 2020, 08:43:37 PM »
We had egg roll in a bowl. Topped with sriracha & nuts. It was good. My teen ate so much that we have almost no leftovers, so I suppose that's a sign it was enjoyed

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1551 on: January 27, 2020, 09:41:05 AM »
Some friends just had a death in the family, so we took over dinner and shared it with them. 1 family member is gluten- and dairy-intolerant.

We made:
a couple of roasted turkey breasts (I liberated them from the freezer: the day after thanksgiving I bought two more smallish turkeys and had the butcher cut them up for me)
This sweet potato salad (https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a23362341/sweet-potato-salad-recipe/) which was delicious, even without the parsley (we put the feta on the side)
a quinoa salad,  with dried apricots, halved grape tomatoes, and baby spinach, and a slightly sweet yogurt/lemon dressing (not dairy-free, obviously)
steamed green beans
a fennel and orange section salad
an almond and honey cake (gf, df)

(Part of the logic here is that no one wants to deal with vegetables when they're emotionally overwhelmed, so I crammed vegetables into almost everything.)
Everyone seemed to enjoy it, and we brought containers and left them with some of the leftovers -- I'd chosen recipes that are easy and tasty to eat straight out of the fridge.

Bonus: I finally made enough of the quinoa salad that my kid could take some for lunch today!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1552 on: January 27, 2020, 12:50:29 PM »
Spinach-Artichoke heart lasagna. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1553 on: January 27, 2020, 08:20:07 PM »
We had lamb chops and Tuscan butter mushrooms which are my newest favorite recipe.  I put a couple tablespoons of pesto in there in lieu of the parm and basil, and used dried tomatoes from last summer instead of out of season cherry tomatoes.  So yum!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1554 on: January 27, 2020, 09:05:30 PM »
I have to try that recipe @horsepoor

I'm heading out of town tomorrow, & my husband/the kids don't have a great track record with leftovers. So, it was a bit of a grab bag, but we pretty much cleared out the leftovers. Husband had salmon & cauliflower rice. One kiddo had chicken with toast (his choice?), another had egg roll in a bowl with a side of egg rolls (so meta) & I had the rest of the egg roll in a bowl. All diners had salad

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1555 on: January 28, 2020, 01:35:47 PM »
I made a vegan dinner salad of roasted butternut squash, red quinoa, spinach, chickpeas, cranberries, apple slices and pecans, with homemade maple mustard dressing.

It would have been good with crumbled goat cheese too, if I'd remembered to buy some.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #1556 on: January 28, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »
Beef short rib, cauliflower cheese (low carb mac and cheese), and steamed broccoli with compound butter.  Chocolate chip cookie for desert.  Yeah, I'll be falling asleep in the recliner tonight.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1557 on: January 28, 2020, 03:26:12 PM »
One of husband's favorites: broccoli mushroom noodle casserole from the New Moosewood Cookbook. Vegetarian (definitely not vegan) comfort food since we haven't seen the sun in at least a week.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1558 on: January 29, 2020, 02:08:13 PM »
Okay, today can die in a fire. Still no sun, my friend's dad died this morning (expected, was on hospice), and my own dad was diagnosed with cancer (fortunately early stage, but still...). Also, my new Windows 10 PC is different enough from the Mac I used exclusively for 7 years that it's making work take longer than normal and really annoying me.

It's going to be a minor miracle if we manage anything other than the last frozen pizza or baked potatoes with melted cheese for dinner tonight. At least we have green veg for side salads.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1559 on: January 29, 2020, 05:13:14 PM »
@OtherJen I’m so sorry :-(

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1560 on: January 29, 2020, 05:56:40 PM »
Thanks, @lexde . Husband came home from work and took over in the kitchen. So at least I don't have to worry about that.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1561 on: January 29, 2020, 08:35:33 PM »
Thanks, @lexde . Husband came home from work and took over in the kitchen. So at least I don't have to worry about that.

I'm also so sorry -- hopefully Husband made you something delicious!

What a terrible, horrible, no-good, very-bad day!
Hopefully tomorrow will be a little better, or at least you'll schedule in something that makes you feel a bit better?

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1562 on: January 29, 2020, 09:31:42 PM »
@OtherJen kudos on even entering the kitchen.  I would have had energy for nothing more than ordering from Seamless or GrubHub.

We had Tuscan Chickpea Soup, an old standby in our house (https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tuscan-chickpea-soup), with salad.  It's only since I've met my husband that I call those things chickpeas (and use them several times per month!).  They used to strictly be called garbanzo beans and mostly went on salads. I'm glad we have so many more diverse uses for them than I used to, but I really somehow don't love the name chickpea.  However, having less syllables than garbanzo....that's what I now call them.  Anyone else here have the same heartache over the name of these guys?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1563 on: January 29, 2020, 10:02:49 PM »
Thanks, all. We ended up with frozen pizza (both of us had long workdays), but husband doctored it up with toppings and we had big salads on the side. It went well with slightly too much wine.

@sui generis , I am saving that soup recipe. We love rosemary. And garbanzos. I grew up calling them chickpeas, but now almost always say garbanzos. Where I live, they usually end up in hummus (mind you, I'm not complaining about that).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1564 on: January 30, 2020, 07:38:12 PM »
Back in the saddle with a pot of Gypsy Soup from the New Moosewood Cookbook (the recipe name is problematic now, but that’s what is listed in my 20-year-old copy and apparently it hasn’t been changed). I’ve never added the tamari, which seems to be a recent addition, but I think it’s probably good either way.

I’m eating it with a small grilled turkey-and-cheese sandwich.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1565 on: January 31, 2020, 10:09:36 AM »
@OtherJen , glad you're feeling a little better!

Last night: I found a bag of already-thinly-sliced beef in the freezer, so thawed it out and we had beef-and-bok-choi stir-fry, over rice. The kid made a pretty decent fried rice last week (he adapted a recipe from the NY Times), so I made extra so he'd have the opportunity again.

Tonight: Probably cauliflower in tomato sauce over polenta, using up all the cheese odds and ends in the drawer. Maybe with salad, maybe without.

Bonus: I picked up a box of mushrooms and a couple of giant poblano chiles last week, sautéed them on Wed, and have been making quesidillas (on corn tortillas) for the teenager's lunch. I dry-fry them in a cast-iron skillet in the morning.

Tomorrow: I need to go grocery shopping, but first I need a meal plan, which needs to include lunches.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1566 on: January 31, 2020, 10:14:18 PM »
This snapper with tomato peanut sauce https://www.shortstackeditions.com/blogs/news/recipe-snapper-in-peanut-tomato-broth-with-coconut-rice.  We sometimes skip making the fancy rice with it in which case it is actually not very difficult or time consuming.  I absolutely love the rice, but Husband always worries about coconut milk killing him before his time.

I have to say, when I first saw this recipe, I could not think of anything worse than combining fish, peanut butter and tomatoes. Just sounds questionable from the start. But its really good! We may try it with tofu in the future as we pursue a more plant-based diet.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1567 on: January 31, 2020, 10:28:08 PM »
I made a variation of the chicken cacciatore recipe from my c. 2000 copy of the Martha Stewart Living cookbook. It was one of the first things I learned to cook as a young adult on my own.

This is the closest recipe available online, although the cookbook version calls for 3 tablespoons of olive oil (and isn’t marked “low-fat”). Because it was getting a bit late, I dumped 1/4 cup of oil in the pan, browned 8 small chicken thighs, and then sautéed all veg together. I used 3/4 tsp. of dried rosemary, doubled the onions, celery, and carrots, and added a few tablespoons of tomato paste. Still good.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1568 on: February 01, 2020, 06:49:05 AM »
We may try it with tofu in the future as we pursue a more plant-based diet.

Then you have to give this stew a try. SO good.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1569 on: February 01, 2020, 05:21:50 PM »
Ground turkey taco meat sauteed with lots of colorful veg (red onion, green bell pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, carrots), served on corn tortillas with spinach, avocado, and red salsa.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1570 on: February 02, 2020, 02:37:13 PM »
Tonight: Superbowl party at a friend's house. We're bringing homemade spinach dip. So dinner will be that and whatever else is on offer, including the giant batch of chicken wings that her husband always smokes or roasts for this party.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #1571 on: February 02, 2020, 06:15:13 PM »
Leftover pot roast with hasselback potatoes. This is the first time I’ve made them and I’m having a hard time getting over how much they resemble something very unappetizing.
Spoiler: show
They look like giant tree grubs! 🤢

I’m sure they will be delicious, though. ;)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1572 on: February 02, 2020, 08:09:34 PM »
We had Superbowl food - wings, mozzarella sticks, hummus & dip, chips & guac, & fresh veggies.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1573 on: February 02, 2020, 09:10:58 PM »
Hungarian lentil soup. We skipped the wine and didn’t have Parsley or bay leaves, but it still turned out well. We also forgot to add Parmesan. It was my first time cooking with lentils.  A nice and very forgiving vegetarian dish that we ate with DH’s no-knead peasant bread.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16016/hungarian-lentil-soup/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=Search

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1574 on: February 03, 2020, 11:04:46 AM »
Planning to make these Sambal chicken skewers (with much less sugar) tonight along with stirfried veggies and kelp noodles.

Last night it got cold and blustery, so buttternut squash chili was on the menu.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1575 on: February 03, 2020, 08:51:39 PM »
We had tacos with leftover guacamole from yesterday's Superbowl party. Thank goodness we finished off the last of the tortilla chips, because those are my favorite & I will be tempted to just eat a bowl of chips.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1576 on: February 04, 2020, 04:25:31 AM »
We had chili.  I was out of regular chili powder so I used ground chipotle pepper and some paprika.  It was really good.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1577 on: February 04, 2020, 08:37:28 AM »
We had a friend for dinner last night, and it was pretty cold and snowy (we were planning to go to DS2's concert after dinner, but it got cancelled :^(  ).
Salad of mixed citrus slices, sprinkled with parsley and chopped olives (this was an idea that was sunny and lovely, but wasn't quite right for this dinner -- I'll keep trying!)
"The idea of greece" dinner:
Baked gigantic beans in tomato sauce, topped with parsley-lemon sauce
crusty baguettes
grilled chicken, sliced
green beans
greek salad (but without the onions, because DH doesn't like them)

Wonderful, wonderful pistachio cake for dessert.

Tonight: probably leftovers. DS has another concert!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1578 on: February 04, 2020, 06:28:22 PM »
We had this: https://www.jessicagavin.com/salmon-greek-salad-lemon-basil-dressing/

Good stuff, even without the red bell pepper (which I didn't have on hand). It was nice and fresh and bright on a gloomy winter day.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1579 on: February 05, 2020, 08:47:24 AM »
We had this: https://www.jessicagavin.com/salmon-greek-salad-lemon-basil-dressing/

Good stuff, even without the red bell pepper (which I didn't have on hand). It was nice and fresh and bright on a gloomy winter day.

That looks delicious! Did you add bread, or potatoes (or dessert) or something to help fill you up?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1580 on: February 05, 2020, 09:35:05 AM »
I think tonight is going to be vegetable tikka masala and I'll go ahead and cook enough rice to have Thai pineapple fried rice tomorrow night.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1581 on: February 05, 2020, 10:29:50 AM »

That looks delicious! Did you add bread, or potatoes (or dessert) or something to help fill you up?

Nope. The servings were generous (I split a half-recipe between us), and the salmon was filling. We didn't eat again until oatmeal this morning. However, a slice of good bread (maybe pita) certainly wouldn't detract from it!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1582 on: February 05, 2020, 03:03:40 PM »
Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan (https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/09/stuffed-eggplant-parmesan/) with Salad.
The marinara sauce will probably be an already-made batch containing gigante beans.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1583 on: February 05, 2020, 06:31:20 PM »
Chicken-vegetable soup, with a can of garbanzos and some rice-quinoa pasta tossed in.

@jeninco , my husband’s refusal to eat eggplant makes me so sad. That eggplant parmesan recipe looks great!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1584 on: February 05, 2020, 10:33:37 PM »
Chicken-vegetable soup, with a can of garbanzos and some rice-quinoa pasta tossed in.

@jeninco , my husband’s refusal to eat eggplant makes me so sad. That eggplant parmesan recipe looks great!

OMG, my husband is also anti-eggplant! They don't know what they are missing. But the worst part is, I DO know what I'm missing and it's so sad! I have gobs of eggplant every time he travels for work without me.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1585 on: February 06, 2020, 07:56:56 AM »
Our dinners have been uninspired lately. For logistical reasons, I only cook on weekends & we have leftovers on weekdays. I think tonight will be carnitas over salads, or in tortillas (adults, kids)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1586 on: February 06, 2020, 08:55:10 AM »

OMG, my husband is also anti-eggplant! They don't know what they are missing. But the worst part is, I DO know what I'm missing and it's so sad! I have gobs of eggplant every time he travels for work without me.

Mine will eat baba ganoush on occasion, but that's it. I should start making eggplant parm for me and chicken parm for him.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1587 on: February 06, 2020, 09:42:29 AM »

Mine will eat baba ganoush on occasion, but that's it. I should start making eggplant parm for me and chicken parm for him.

Hmm, the filling is onions, sausage, the diced and cooked eggplants that were scooped out of the eggplant inside, and I usually add some chopped mushrooms and possibly tomatoes, and marinara. (The filling is all cooked in a pan, so the eggplant cooks into everything else.)  Maybe you could stuff an eggplant for yourselves, and ... like, a red bell pepper for the guys? I'm pretty sure that by the time the filling is all cooked together the little bits of eggplant inside have disappeared into all the other stuff -- and if you use spicy italian sausage, that's pretty much what it tastes like.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1588 on: February 06, 2020, 10:28:52 AM »
I'm making a pot of minestrone soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.  I'm making the sandwiches with some really good sharp aged cheddar (from Hook's in Wisconsin) and a loaf of brioche from the local bakery.  Yum! 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1589 on: February 06, 2020, 10:51:14 AM »
I just discovered that Red Boat makes a salt as part of their fish sauce production.  It's quite an umami-bomb. I sprinkled it on some lovely ribeyes on Sunday and kept them on a rack in the fridge for a few days, then seared them in pork fat last night with a little more salt and some pepper.  Wow they were good.  We had sauteed spinach and mushrooms, and some roasted homegrown fingerling potatoes on the side.

Tonight will be a little lighter fare with some cod, possibly with lemon and carrot top pesto, garlicky kale and golden beets.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1590 on: February 06, 2020, 12:15:22 PM »
It's choir night, so I plan to cobble together a big salad of various greens, cucumber, radishes, feta, pine nuts, homemade vinaigrette, and the last of the salmon from the other night (we made a bit extra). Husband can choose between various leftovers, eggs, or tofu.

I think tomorrow I'm going to make meatballs with mushroom gravy. Haven't yet decided whether to serve them over spaghetti squash or some type of starch (e.g., potatoes). Sauteed cabbage or coleslaw might be good on the side.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1591 on: February 06, 2020, 01:32:52 PM »
Fish tacos!

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #1592 on: February 07, 2020, 11:08:59 AM »
Omg, guys -- a Mustachian win for the ages.

So, we just had our third baby and have some friends who just had their first.  Knowing how very tough those first few weeks can be, and as a sort of "Welcome to the Parent Club" gesture, I made a double batch of soup with tomato, kale, and lentils and some extra granola.  We ate our half and instead of keeping the leftovers, we dropped them off.

Well, the mama's Indian mother was staying with them and they returned our Tupperware full of homemade bengan bharta (roasted mashed eggplant), gajar halwa (carrot and nut pudding), and homemade chapatis.

It was freaking fantastic.  Restaurant quality, without a doubt.  And with a little basmati rice on my end, easily covers two dinners.

Win.Win.Win.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1593 on: February 07, 2020, 02:26:05 PM »
Omg, guys -- a Mustachian win for the ages.

So, we just had our third baby and have some friends who just had their first.  Knowing how very tough those first few weeks can be, and as a sort of "Welcome to the Parent Club" gesture, I made a double batch of soup with tomato, kale, and lentils and some extra granola.  We ate our half and instead of keeping the leftovers, we dropped them off.

Well, the mama's Indian mother was staying with them and they returned our Tupperware full of homemade bengan bharta (roasted mashed eggplant), gajar halwa (carrot and nut pudding), and homemade chapatis.

It was freaking fantastic.  Restaurant quality, without a doubt.  And with a little basmati rice on my end, easily covers two dinners.

Win.Win.Win.

Totally jealous!

Homemade pizzas for us tonight.  I like adventurous pizzas, although DH isn't as adventurous as me and sometimes I just don't have the energy to come up with new sets of pizza ideas (we always do 3).  Tonight, though, we're trying a new one! Marinated Kale and Whipped Ricotta: https://www.howsweeteats.com/2015/01/marinated-kale-and-whipped-ricotta-pizza/#_a5y_p=3204853

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1594 on: February 07, 2020, 04:38:21 PM »
Wow, the Indian-food-filled Tupperware sounds fantastic!

We're having chuck roast (it's been in a 250 degree oven all day) with roasted brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes. And probably The apple cake on Food52, just to try something new.)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1595 on: February 07, 2020, 07:38:12 PM »
We went out to a good local pub for our once-every-few-weeks restaurant dinner. I had a Maurice salad (Detroit classic from the defunct Hudson's store) and whiskey on the rocks. A very nice treat after a long, weird, and stressful week.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1596 on: February 10, 2020, 10:46:15 AM »
I made two dinners last night, and tons and tons of leftovers for the week.

1. Meatloaf and baked potatoes. So easy to bake potatoes in the oven, no foil, and healthier than mashed because I can dress them down while SO goes fully loaded.

2. 15-bean soup in the instant pot. I’m eating this for lunches this week. I had the beans already, as well as the onion and baby carrot from last week. I sautéed onion, carrot, and garlic, added the rinsed/unsoaked beans, and two smoked pork shanks I found mislabeled at the store (for some reason it was marked as .3lb at $1.59 while all other packages of the same date were .9-1lbs at $5+! But they appeared to be the same weight? So I grabbed the cheaper one!). Tossed in the 1/2 can of tomato paste left over from the meatloaf, a little better than boullion, and in 45 minutes it was done!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1597 on: February 10, 2020, 11:17:33 AM »
I'm feeling quite pleased with my food prep efforts yesterday.  I slow roasted a chicken and we ate some of it with salad last night.  I prepped all the veggies for a kale/chicken/chorizo soup, which I'll make for dinner tonight with the chicken carcass and leftover meat, and then have it for lunch the rest of the week.

Tomorrow will be salad again with cauliflower crust pizzas.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1598 on: February 10, 2020, 06:30:23 PM »
Low-carb almond-flour pizza crust topped with tomato sauce, cheese, green bell pepper, and turkey Italian sausage. Spinach salad with pine nuts and homemade balsamic vinaigrette on the side.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1599 on: February 11, 2020, 08:22:28 AM »
I think I'm going to make a marinara/vegetable/noodle thing.  It's an open night at my house (as in "open the fridge, open the cabinet, or open the car door and go get something").

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!