Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950030 times)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2018, 07:05:24 AM »
I make a bread that has candied fruit in it. It's sort of a blend between a yeast based bread & a fruit cake, which allows you to enjoy some of the flavors of a fruit cake, but on a much lighter note. It's been a family tradition for decades, and I picked up the torch when my grandmother passed away. We toast it on Christmas morning  & serve it with butter. YUM!

That sounds fantastic.  Are you willing to share the recipe or is it a family secret? ;)

Tonight will be soup from the freezer and some rolls that got over-toasted while we were down at my dad's place, and got sent back with us since no one else wanted them.  I will probably have veggie soup, I think DH may prefer to have chili instead.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2018, 08:47:20 AM »
Tonight is stuffed peppers.  It's pretty simple, but one of the wife's favorites!  Green bell peppers, stuffed with cream cheese, pork sausage, and the secret ingredient.  (Anchovy paste).   

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: December 17, 2018, 10:17:15 AM »
I have a 7 pm meeting and husband won't be home from work until at least 7:30, so I sautéed up some chorizo, onion, and green pepper that we can toss quickly with scrambled eggs for for taco filling.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: December 17, 2018, 10:21:07 AM »
I make a bread that has candied fruit in it. It's sort of a blend between a yeast based bread & a fruit cake, which allows you to enjoy some of the flavors of a fruit cake, but on a much lighter note. It's been a family tradition for decades, and I picked up the torch when my grandmother passed away. We toast it on Christmas morning  & serve it with butter. YUM!

Is it similar to stollen? I always loved that but have never tried making it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #154 on: December 17, 2018, 10:38:29 AM »

I've never had stollen. Gave it a quick search, and yes. I'd say it's similar. This is the recipe. Note that this is a family recipe, so not online. Apologies for the long post in advance :-)

Cardamom Bread Recipe:
1 c milk
¾ c butter
¾ c sugar
3 eggs, beaten
7 c flour
1 c chopped mixed fruit
½ c nuts
1 tsp ground cardamom (adds extra)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp dry yeast
½ c warm water

Scald the milk & butter (bubbles along the pan, don’t boil). Stir in sugar, cardamom, & salt. Let that cool all the way to room temperature.

Dissolve yeast in water. Stir into cooled milk mixture, & beaten eggs. Stir in ½ of the flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in fruit & nuts. Add enough flour to form a soft ball. Turn & knead until elastic. Add only enough flour to keep from sticking. Let rise until doubled. Punch down & divide into rolls. (small four loaves). Let it rise again, bake 375 for 35 minutes.

Glaze:
1 c powdered sugar
2 tbsp of hot water.

Makes small four loaves. I prefer two larger loaves. After the loaves are cooled, drizzle glaze on & top with remaining chopped mixed fruit. (I buy a much larger tub than needed, and save some for topping the bread).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: December 17, 2018, 11:02:43 AM »

I've never had stollen. Gave it a quick search, and yes. I'd say it's similar. This is the recipe. Note that this is a family recipe, so not online. Apologies for the long post in advance :-)

Cardamom Bread Recipe:
1 c milk
¾ c butter
¾ c sugar
3 eggs, beaten
7 c flour
1 c chopped mixed fruit
½ c nuts
1 tsp ground cardamom (adds extra)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp dry yeast
½ c warm water

Scald the milk & butter (bubbles along the pan, don’t boil). Stir in sugar, cardamom, & salt. Let that cool all the way to room temperature.

Dissolve yeast in water. Stir into cooled milk mixture, & beaten eggs. Stir in ½ of the flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in fruit & nuts. Add enough flour to form a soft ball. Turn & knead until elastic. Add only enough flour to keep from sticking. Let rise until doubled. Punch down & divide into rolls. (small four loaves). Let it rise again, bake 375 for 35 minutes.

Glaze:
1 c powdered sugar
2 tbsp of hot water.

Makes small four loaves. I prefer two larger loaves. After the loaves are cooled, drizzle glaze on & top with remaining chopped mixed fruit. (I buy a much larger tub than needed, and save some for topping the bread).

This sounds amazing! Thank you.

SquirrelStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: December 17, 2018, 11:12:38 AM »
Found a pack of ground beef lurking in the freezer (score!) so it'll be chili, with veggies for me and probably turned into chili cheese fries for DH.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #157 on: December 17, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »
@OtherJen - no problem, enjoy! @Raenia - posted!

For tonight, I'll pair homemade guacamole with freezer burritos. I'll bake the burritos to hopefully make them a bit more appealing. Hoping the avocados are ripe enough. If not, it will be leftovers tonight, with burritos/guac pushed out until ripe.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: December 17, 2018, 11:24:15 AM »
@OtherJen - no problem, enjoy! @Raenia - posted!

For tonight, I'll pair homemade guacamole with freezer burritos. I'll bake the burritos to hopefully make them a bit more appealing. Hoping the avocados are ripe enough. If not, it will be leftovers tonight, with burritos/guac pushed out until ripe.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'll have to give that a try!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2018, 11:44:50 AM »
Last night, my son (21 and an amazing cook), made up his own recipe for a chicken stew that was awesome.

Tonight, I'm attempting red beans and rice for the first time (I've only ever had it once before).  If anyone has a flavorful recipe to share (no pre-made sauce packet), I'd love one.  I just did a taste test of the beans for this one, and it was way too bland.  Probably the kind of hot sauce I used.  So, I added cajun seasoning, but still doesn't have the nice bold flavor of the stuff I had before.

Some good recipes here - https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/rice-and-beans-share-your-recipe/

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2018, 11:53:51 AM »
Creamy vegetable soup!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2018, 02:33:47 PM »
Last night, my son (21 and an amazing cook), made up his own recipe for a chicken stew that was awesome.

Tonight, I'm attempting red beans and rice for the first time (I've only ever had it once before).  If anyone has a flavorful recipe to share (no pre-made sauce packet), I'd love one.  I just did a taste test of the beans for this one, and it was way too bland.  Probably the kind of hot sauce I used.  So, I added cajun seasoning, but still doesn't have the nice bold flavor of the stuff I had before.

Some good recipes here - https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/rice-and-beans-share-your-recipe/

Thank you!

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2018, 07:21:48 PM »
Hash browns, gravy, turkey, and green beans. Pretty plain, but tasted good and the kids didn't complain *too* much, so I count that as a win.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2018, 08:25:01 PM »
Fillet o fish sammy with lettuce and tartar sauce on a sesame seed bun with air fried French fries. Plus, dill pickle.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #164 on: December 18, 2018, 04:00:55 AM »
Made a chicken Ranch tenderloin Casserole
A bag of frozen Chicken and Garlic vegetable pasta
Box of Rice n Broccoli Rice a Roni
Frozen Broccoli

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #165 on: December 18, 2018, 08:15:38 AM »
Made this last night: https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/crockpot-crispy-caramelized-pork-ramen-noodle-soup-wcurry-roasted-acorn-squash/ One of my favorites, and the IP makes it pretty easy. I 1.5x-2x the broth though, otherwise it's super strong/thick. It was perfect because I had a small butternut squash kicking around from my last imperfect produce box. Wanted to use it before leaving town.

TBD on dinner tonight, but I may try a salmon recipe. Which may turn into Husband having a ton of salmon, and me eating a tuna sandwich or something. I struggle with salmon, but we get a lot (thank you, dad who fishes a lot!), and it's so healthy I just need to find a recipe I like or get used to the flavor!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2018, 09:48:41 AM »
@Bracken_Joy - I could have written the salmon comment! One thing I find is that baking with olive oil, lemon & garlic & then eating the ends (which tend to be more well cooked) is my preferred favorite. I also serve with yummy rice & a yogurt cucumber sauce. My husband rejects the yogurt cucumber sauce (it's a Persian dish, & apparently not supposed to go with fish), but I love it that way. Even with the best preparation, I like but don't love it. A restaurant near us also does a barbecued salmon that is fantastic. I'll have to experiment with recipes to see if I can find something similar.

For tonight, it's leftover night. There's enough for two people to have lasagna, one person to have the leftover Persian rice dish. And, my picky eater will eat chicken with pasta. That will actually clear out the fridge, so for tomorrow's dinner, I'll dip back into the freezer for other options.

krmit

• Stubble
« Reply #167 on: December 18, 2018, 02:13:06 PM »
Came down with a nasty stomach bug yesterday, so yesterday's dinner was half a smoothie. I'll be making chicken soup tonight.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #168 on: December 18, 2018, 04:45:08 PM »
Okay, what are hot crash potatoes?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: December 18, 2018, 05:56:53 PM »
Stir-fry containing a bunch of veggies that needed to be used up, shredded rotisserie chicken from Costco, and gluten-free ramen noodles (also Costco). It very adequately satisfied the craving to eat noodles with chopsticks.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: December 18, 2018, 06:33:01 PM »
pancakes!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2018, 07:48:15 PM »
Moderately spicy posole, with leftover turkey pieces that I'd frozen and stock from the turkey carcass, and two little cans of hominy that were bouncing around the pantry for some reason. (I generally buy hominy in food-service-sized cans, and then use half and freeze the other half.)

Steamed green beans that needed to be used. Avocado (today is the day it was ripe, thus the avocado-friendly dinner) and cilantro. I forgot the cheese, but no one noticed.

Bracken Joy, sometimes I make Mark Bittman's vegetable and fish stew with salmon: saute onions, leeks, garlic, possibly a little celery, gold potatoes, carrots, a can of crushed tomatoes. Add the salmon cubes when everything else is cooked, along with some salt and crushed aleppo peppers.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #172 on: December 19, 2018, 03:25:51 AM »
So last night I made pulled pork in the Slow Cooker for sandwiches.
Used up my second pack of Chicken Tenderloins and made a chicken Parmesan pasta salad.
Steamed Beans and cheesy rice a roni.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #173 on: December 19, 2018, 08:25:54 AM »
Sides are broccoli and Hot Crash Potatoes (BJ, that is your recipe tip that keeps on giving!  DD is STILL thrilled every time I make them)....

Haha, fair's fair because we still use your drumstick recipe! Honestly, some day we need to wholesale trade favorites, because we clearly have very similar tastes =P

Bracken Joy, sometimes I make Mark Bittman's vegetable and fish stew with salmon: saute onions, leeks, garlic, possibly a little celery, gold potatoes, carrots, a can of crushed tomatoes. Add the salmon cubes when everything else is cooked, along with some salt and crushed aleppo peppers.

Hmm. For some reason my brain assumes fish in soup would be extra fishy. Is that true? Or does it mellow it?

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #174 on: December 19, 2018, 02:29:58 PM »
Tonight: chili con carne and cornbread (bread already baked)
Tomorrow: crustless spinach quiche, maybe with biscuits if I'm really on top of things.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #175 on: December 20, 2018, 03:44:45 AM »
Last night was Dinner Breakfast.

Made basically our own egg , cheese and bacon Mc Muffins as well as a ham steak and mini potatoes.

SquirrelStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: December 20, 2018, 07:27:21 AM »
Tonight is going to be using up the remaining frozen burgers. We have three different bags of frozen burgers all going at once, all opened and partially used. That just shows I need to look at my freezer more often before going grocery shopping!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2018, 08:54:20 AM »
Fridge is empty of meals/leftovers (just how I'd want it, as we leave on vacation tomorrow), so tonight I will put a frozen pizza in for the kids & my husband before I head to a holiday party for work. To health it up, salad will also be served.

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #178 on: December 20, 2018, 09:47:32 AM »
Came down with a nasty stomach bug yesterday, so yesterday's dinner was half a smoothie. I'll be making chicken soup tonight.

Me and half my team were poisoned by catered lunch earlier this week. It's been vitamin water, chicken broth, bananas and bread for the last 48 hours. On the bright side I've shed the vacation weight.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #179 on: December 20, 2018, 01:16:58 PM »
@Crease - that sounds miserable! Hope you & the team are feeling better. What a kick in the face before the holidays. :-(

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #180 on: December 20, 2018, 01:22:11 PM »
Mushroom and pea risotto in baked acorn squash bowls!

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: December 20, 2018, 01:55:45 PM »
Green bean almondine.  And pork chops. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #182 on: December 20, 2018, 02:33:17 PM »
Frozen pizza and bag salad that needs eaten today.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2018, 03:46:09 PM »
For tonight I made :
Mashed Potatoes
Mixed Veggies
Big Salad with tons of Veggies as well
2  Teriyaki Pork Tenderloins from Aldis
And then for my oldest with the hollow leg I made a large batch of Macaroni Pasta Salad with the leftover Ham from last night I cubed up.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: December 20, 2018, 05:49:59 PM »
I had 10 tomatoes from last Friday's Hungry Harvest box, most of a can of tomato paste leftover from a soup recipe earlier this week, and a pack of Italian sausage in the freezer. All of it went into a red meat sauce to serve over gluten-free pasta.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #185 on: December 21, 2018, 06:42:01 AM »
Last night was a spinach and onion lasagna.  Tonight will be homemade pizza, with the last crust from my last batch.  Tomorrow will be leftovers - between the lasagna and the pasta and sausages from a few nights ago, we have plenty to eat up before the holiday cooking begins.

krmit

• Stubble
« Reply #186 on: December 21, 2018, 11:03:30 AM »
Tonight I have a holiday party and I'm bringing a lemon pie. Does that count as dinner?

(HIGHLY recommend Smitten Kitchen's whole lemon tart recipe, btw!)

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #187 on: December 21, 2018, 11:09:11 AM »
Not sure if this counts as "making" but I'll share anyway.

I'll be having leftovers from a Christmas potluck at work yesterday. Yes, I brought Tupperware to the Christmas party!

This includes:
-Smoked brisket (10 hours in a smoker)
-Cheesy hash
-Roasted pork shoulder
-Sweet potato casserole
-Green bean casserole
-Baked ziti
-Holiday meatballs (I don't know what sauce they were in. Maybe Tangy honey BBQ?)
-Pasta salad (Pepperoni, Salami, pasta, Italian dressing, chick peas, tomatoes, carrots, colby jack cheese)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:30:07 AM by 35andFI »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: December 21, 2018, 11:25:35 AM »
That potluck sounds wonderful, @35andFI .

I just got back from Mexican brunch with my dad and am stuffed full of refried pinto beans and chilaquiles. I cannot comprehend eating dinner at this point, so the planned chicken vegetable soup is probably a good idea.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #189 on: December 21, 2018, 11:31:53 AM »
That potluck sounds wonderful, @35andFI .

I just got back from Mexican brunch with my dad and am stuffed full of refried pinto beans and chilaquiles. I cannot comprehend eating dinner at this point, so the planned chicken vegetable soup is probably a good idea.

Oh it was! There are a bunch of "I'm never eating again" statements made this time of year.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: December 21, 2018, 11:50:30 AM »

Hmm. For some reason my brain assumes fish in soup would be extra fishy. Is that true? Or does it mellow it?

It's more of a stew, and it's not all that fishy. Like, you can tell that it's fish, rather than chicken, but it's pretty mellow. Especially if you add the Aleppo peppers!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: December 21, 2018, 03:37:40 PM »
Beef nacho soup.  Not healthy; don't care.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #192 on: December 21, 2018, 04:13:02 PM »
All this talk of fish stew has me craving a hearty bowl of Cullen Skink. I think that shall be added to the list for next week. Not sure about tonight, probably Thai Chicken Curry, I think I've got most of the ingredients at least. :)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #193 on: December 22, 2018, 04:48:04 PM »
Nothing! Took the night off, went to the bar and had a burger and fries instead because I deserved it!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: December 22, 2018, 05:02:48 PM »
Husband is out tonight with his coworkers for holiday dinner and I'm finishing up the last of my client work before taking my Christmas break, so my dinner was a couple of fried eggs, a leftover baked potato, and a half orange left over from making a Christmas gift (sangria for my dad). Oh, and a snickerdoodle. I'm trying to keep from eating more cookies.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #195 on: December 22, 2018, 05:41:28 PM »
zucchini noodles sautéed with pesto (frozen from my garden over the summer!) and topped with a salmon burger. Yum!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #196 on: December 23, 2018, 03:48:16 AM »
Three varieties of homemade pizza -- pepperoni (for DD), beef meatball and roasted sweet pepper, and pesto chicken and roasted sweet pepper.  Guess who had roasted sweet peppers that needed using up....

I'm not a Pizza only for Dinner person I like it as an appetizer BUT that Chicken and Roasted Pepper one you made sounds delicious.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2018, 08:50:43 AM »
We are having baked salmon, rice & salad. We'll have goat cheese crostini & cosmopolitans as appetizers. It is, after all, the holidays.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: December 24, 2018, 08:47:01 AM »
I like Mexican food so yesterday made a whole crock pot of chicken tinga, spinach enchiladas spinach and cheese stuffed poblano peppers, black beans, with the fixings (tortillas, lime, avocado, cojita and mexican cheese, sour cream, salsa, etc. And the kids helped me make a big batch of gingerbread cookies. I had people over but I still have enough food to last a couple days. Might need to freeze some (and next year invite more people!). Other than the cojita cheese most of the ingredients are rather inexpensive, can feed a lot of people.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #199 on: December 24, 2018, 12:35:23 PM »
Last night tried my hand at homemade naan.  With curried chickpeas.  I hear it was good.  I can't eat wheat.