Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950084 times)

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1450 on: December 13, 2019, 11:29:16 AM »

Tonight we'll have homemade chicken soup that is so thick it's like stew.

When we make chicken soup we use water   because we don't like the taste of store-bought chicken stock.

Dessert will be halved pears w/ cinnamon.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1451 on: December 13, 2019, 04:26:13 PM »
^^^ The pears with cinnamon sound absolutely delightful.

Husband is off today and decided that he wanted beef. He repurposed a few tough steaks from the freezer into stew beef, so we’re having beef stew. I think he managed to use up the last of the carrots and mushrooms, and hopefully I can convince him to use the last bit of sour cream in a batch of mashed potatoes.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1452 on: December 13, 2019, 08:24:45 PM »
Sheetpan dinner of brats, Brussels sprouts and butternut squash.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1453 on: December 17, 2019, 03:28:38 PM »
I was planning on a sheet pan dinner of kielbasa, cabbage, and potatoes but then remembered that we're completely out of potatoes. Hopefully husband will look at his phone and stop by the grocery store on the way home.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1454 on: December 17, 2019, 07:23:22 PM »
Lovely casserole of potatoes, broccoli, white beans, olives, crushed tomatoes and garlic layered with munster and then baked until it's bubbling and the cheese is all gooey.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1455 on: December 18, 2019, 05:03:15 PM »
Spaghetti squash boats with Italian sausage, and roasted asparagus on the side.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1456 on: December 19, 2019, 06:49:49 AM »
Budget Bytes' beef and cabbage stir-fry, except with ground turkey and a few more veg.

Edit: okay, this was really good and at only 2 tbsp. oil for the whole recipe, hopefully kind to my husband's crabby gallbladder. I stirred in some gluten-free ramen noodles at the end and it was a very satisfying meal.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 06:31:48 PM by OtherJen »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1457 on: December 19, 2019, 09:24:04 PM »
Quesadillas of mashed cooked butternut squash, strips of green chili (our neighbors buy several bushels of roasted poblanos in the late summer and we all chip in), and jack cheese, folded into corn tortillas and almost dry-fried until they're crunchy. Yum!

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #1458 on: December 19, 2019, 09:36:55 PM »
Leftovers! Pork loin, rice, black beans and macaroni and cheese.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1459 on: December 20, 2019, 02:54:18 PM »
We're heading out of town, and have finished up all of the leftovers. So, pizza (from the freezer) it will be

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1460 on: December 20, 2019, 04:02:07 PM »
Sous vide has recently upped my cooking game. Tonight is garlic thyme sirloin, baked stuffed potato and asparagus. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1461 on: December 20, 2019, 04:23:04 PM »
Husband is at a friend's house this evening, and I had a big Mexican lunch with Dad today and may not need to eat for another 24 hours. I might make a batch of this chickpea salad in case I change my mind. It should keep well in the fridge if I wait until I actually eat to add the avocado.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1462 on: December 20, 2019, 05:28:17 PM »
Spaghetti but using ground turkey instead of ground beef. 

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1463 on: December 20, 2019, 09:24:47 PM »
Swung by a tortillaria this afternoon and got a kilo of the yummiest corn tortillas, so had them with chili and salad.

Tomorrow: Latke-pallooza! Cooked a brisket today, and we'll have steamed asparagus and salad. And so many latkes, with applesauce and sour cream. Perhaps poached pears for dessert, or baked apples.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1464 on: December 21, 2019, 10:04:33 AM »
Last night it was time to use some random ingredients up - especially a cauliflower that was getting a little old, and some leftover rotisserie chicken.

I broke the cauliflower up into pieces and baked it for awhile.  In the meantime, I sauteed some mushrooms and shallots, then mixed it all in with chopped green chile and shredded chicken, topped with the last of a can of olives and some cheese and baked it up in a casserole.

I'll be at the barn until 6:30 or so tonight, and DH is out skiing, so I'm going to get a big pot of chili going and bake some keto "corn" muffins this morning.

Tomorrow on to cleaning the fridge out more - we'll have Brussels sprouts and parsnips alongside a roasted or smoked chicken.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1465 on: December 26, 2019, 07:12:00 AM »
I’m making stock using the bones of the smoked chicken from Christmas Eve dinner, will cook pinquito beans in the stock, and add back the leftover chicken meat and some veg for a thick soup.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1466 on: December 26, 2019, 08:06:35 AM »
I am also making stock from a prime rib roast bones and scraps. Added the usual carrots, celery, garlic, onion and found some tomatoes from my garden that had been frozen and added them to the slow cooker too. It smells marvelous!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1467 on: December 27, 2019, 03:33:17 PM »
Gin and tonic, freshly made challa bread with melted butter on top, butter fried mushrooms, a nice cut of steak, and salad.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1468 on: December 27, 2019, 04:07:28 PM »
Tenderloin steak sous vide with roasted garlic, then finished with a pan sear.  Carrots and Brussels sprouts. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1469 on: December 27, 2019, 05:46:15 PM »
Tomato-mushroom sauce with the leftover steak from Christmas dinner chopped up and mixed in, served over spaghetti squash.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1470 on: December 28, 2019, 03:38:16 PM »
As is my new holiday tradition, I made homemade pad thai: black rice noodles, sauteed chicken, scallions, broccoli and orange peppers, cooked in a reduction of fish sauce, tamarind paste and soy sauce. I roughly followed Mr. Tako's recipe, with some improvisations.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1471 on: December 29, 2019, 05:52:37 PM »
Pizza beans a la Smitten Kitchen , except with Cassoulet beans from Rancho Gordo (what I had in the pantry). Wow, this is satisfying.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1472 on: December 29, 2019, 05:58:41 PM »
Low carb Soto Ayam (used bok choy and shiitake mushrooms instead of noodles).  I't s a chicken soup with tons of garlic, ginger, and lemongrass, preferably served with soft boiled ramen eggs.  Predicting that it will go into regular rotation around here.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1473 on: December 30, 2019, 04:51:20 PM »
Oven fajitas with chicken. Served with corn tortillas, shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, salsa, and sour cream.

Now I am officially out of onions and bell peppers (and canned tomatoes after last night's dinner) and cannot put off going to the grocery store any longer.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1474 on: December 31, 2019, 10:44:25 AM »
@OtherJen , yikes! We generally go looking for more canned crushed tomatoes when we get down to the last half-dozen.

NYE dinner with neighbors/friends this evening. Mussels, salad, cheese fondue, then chocolate fondue. And I bought four baguettes...

Tomorrow: lentil soup. (I don't like black-eyed-peas)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1475 on: December 31, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »
@OtherJen , yikes! We generally go looking for more canned crushed tomatoes when we get down to the last half-dozen.

NYE dinner with neighbors/friends this evening. Mussels, salad, cheese fondue, then chocolate fondue. And I bought four baguettes...

Tomorrow: lentil soup. (I don't like black-eyed-peas)

And I'm digging through a full in-box today so the grocery trip will probably be put off until Thursday. My kitchen is not normally this depleted of core ingredients. I will be happy to get back to a non-holiday schedule soon.

Your NYE meal sounds exceptional. We really need to start cooking mussels on special occasions.

We're eating leftovers tonight before taking a cheese plate and cookies to our friends' house. Tomorrow, we're planning on our annual New Year sushi dinner after seeing Star Wars.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1476 on: January 03, 2020, 09:06:38 AM »
Happy New Year, everyone!

Two nights ago we had this: https://bojongourmet.com/tomato-baked-white-beans-with-feta-and-lemon-parsley-oil/

I made a triple batch of the parsley oil and stuck it in several small jars in the freezer. I dislike dealing with wilty parsley, and this way it's done for the next couple of batches.

Last night, lentil/sausage/kale soup from smitten kitchen. With rice, because we've had bread with dinner for the past several nights.

Tonight, probably vegan lo mein -- for reasons of environment and economy I'm trying to get getter about finding vegetarian and vegan recipes for several dinners per week.

Tomorrow, I'll be out until late, but I'll suggest the guys make colcannon (our version uses sharp cheddar, for flavor and for gluing everything together), with or without burgers. Or defrost some chili.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1477 on: January 03, 2020, 09:44:21 AM »

Two nights ago we had this: https://bojongourmet.com/tomato-baked-white-beans-with-feta-and-lemon-parsley-oil/

I made a triple batch of the parsley oil and stuck it in several small jars in the freezer. I dislike dealing with wilty parsley, and this way it's done for the next couple of batches.

Yum. I am definitely saving this, although I might just sprinkle chopped parsley and drizzle lemon juice on top to keep it friendly for husband's gallbladder. The feta and olive oil used in the actual casserole will be just the right amount of fat for him.

My stomach is a bit upset after too much sugar and cheese the last couple of weeks. I am so glad to be through the holidays. I think it will be a good night to bake the flounder fillets I bought yesterday, maybe with a mild GF panko/parmesan crust. Roasted potatoes and maybe lightly sautéed mushrooms and spinach should work well as sides.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1478 on: January 03, 2020, 02:41:35 PM »

Yum. I am definitely saving this, although I might just sprinkle chopped parsley and drizzle lemon juice on top to keep it friendly for husband's gallbladder. The feta and olive oil used in the actual casserole will be just the right amount of fat for him.

My stomach is a bit upset after too much sugar and cheese the last couple of weeks. I am so glad to be through the holidays. I think it will be a good night to bake the flounder fillets I bought yesterday, maybe with a mild GF panko/parmesan crust. Roasted potatoes and maybe lightly sautéed mushrooms and spinach should work well as sides.

You can do both! If you chop some of the parsley leaves to sprinkle on top (and put them to the side until you're done) you can make the parsley/lemon/olive oil drizzle with the remaining parsley leaves&stems (maybe don't use the tough bits at the very bottom). I throw everything into a 4-cup measuring cup and have at it with an immersion blender. I've discovered that this is an efficient way to use the parts of the stems that still taste good, but that you wouldn't want to deal with chopping, and it saves me having to de-stem herb leaves, other then a little bit for sprinkling. Works with cilantro, too!

Also, I increase the beans, and I find the recipe "as written", i.e. double the beans, stated amount of everything else, is pretty lean.

Enjoy the fish!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1479 on: January 03, 2020, 05:45:01 PM »

You can do both! If you chop some of the parsley leaves to sprinkle on top (and put them to the side until you're done) you can make the parsley/lemon/olive oil drizzle with the remaining parsley leaves&stems (maybe don't use the tough bits at the very bottom). I throw everything into a 4-cup measuring cup and have at it with an immersion blender. I've discovered that this is an efficient way to use the parts of the stems that still taste good, but that you wouldn't want to deal with chopping, and it saves me having to de-stem herb leaves, other then a little bit for sprinkling. Works with cilantro, too!

Also, I increase the beans, and I find the recipe "as written", i.e. double the beans, stated amount of everything else, is pretty lean.

Enjoy the fish!

Thanks!

I just realized that the blog with the bean recipe has a LOT of gluten-free recipes. I’ve learned plenty of GF workarounds in the last decade but always, always appreciate a food blogger who posts recipes for baked goods that are safe as written. Thank you!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1480 on: January 05, 2020, 04:19:38 PM »

Thanks!

I just realized that the blog with the bean recipe has a LOT of gluten-free recipes. I’ve learned plenty of GF workarounds in the last decade but always, always appreciate a food blogger who posts recipes for baked goods that are safe as written. Thank you!

:^)

(Let me know if you find something particularly delicious -- I'm not having much luck with vegetarian recipes lately, and I've been auditioning some new ones.)

Tonight: Beef and bok choi stir-fry, because Bok Choi was on sale at the store today.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1481 on: January 05, 2020, 06:37:20 PM »
Chicken curry, with 3x the amount of veggies. Plus rice.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1482 on: January 05, 2020, 07:03:24 PM »
I've fallen down the rabbit hole of this site's Indian recipes and tonight made this one:
https://holycowvegan.net/vegan-paneer-butter-masala/

SO good. I didn't have all the spices called for, so I used just garam masala and curry powder and paprika and it still came out really well.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1483 on: January 05, 2020, 07:51:52 PM »

Thanks!

:^)

(Let me know if you find something particularly delicious -- I'm not having much luck with vegetarian recipes lately, and I've been auditioning some new ones.)

Tonight: Beef and bok choi stir-fry, because Bok Choi was on sale at the store today.

Will do. Husband can't eat beef right now and loves bourguignon, so this promising Smitten Kitchen recipe is going on the menu as soon as I can stock up on mushrooms: https://smittenkitchen.com/2009/01/mushroom-bourguignon/?fbclid=IwAR05lbwxZcdV7WeKczHOqMEtr5i8ji5j-dPwcQRpBQYwpIsuLBsglxXxcn0

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1484 on: January 06, 2020, 09:47:24 AM »
I caught whatever is going around and was laid out all weekend. Still sick, so it looks like dinner is going to be some canned tomato soup with added rice. Lots of Gatorade/water/emergen-c and theraflu. :-(

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1485 on: January 06, 2020, 06:40:10 PM »
I caught whatever is going around and was laid out all weekend. Still sick, so it looks like dinner is going to be some canned tomato soup with added rice. Lots of Gatorade/water/emergen-c and theraflu. :-(

May you soon recover.

When I was in college I'd boil some elbow macaroni and add it to canned tomato soup. It was OK.

Tonight we'll have spaghetti w/meat sauce, garlic bread, and chocolate cake for dessert.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1486 on: January 06, 2020, 07:52:13 PM »
Husband is gone for the week for work and we have a lot of leftovers still, so I'm on cleanup duty for a long time to get it done.  Just call me the human garbage can!  I do love leftovers, though. 

Tonight, it's salad with whatever scrounged nuts are in the pantry, plus feta and cucumber, and a few leftover pierogies.  Probably also a bit of leftover kidney bean "curry" (i.e. not very authentic, but still delicious), but the previous two items are older, so I gotta plow through those first, so there will be more curry later this week on the schedule.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1487 on: January 06, 2020, 08:11:33 PM »
I made a batch of turkey stock from frozen Thanksgiving turkey bones, and used some of it in a pot of lasagna soup. I used turkey Italian sausage and cut the amount in half, added 6 ounces of sliced mushrooms, used gluten-free rotini pasta, and skipped the mozzarella to keep it fairly low-fat. It was so good, and perfect for winter. This is going in the regular rotation.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1488 on: January 07, 2020, 08:15:19 AM »
Last night -- delicious and beautiful falafels (https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/12/falafel/) with pita bread (purchased, it was a busy day), zaug sauce, cucumber salad, carrot salad, tahini sauce, quick-marinated shallots, hummus, olives, and crunchy lettuce leaves.

Tonight: Pozole. I purchased an extra turkey right after thanksgiving, and had the guy cut it up, and I'll start the Pozole with the backbone and wings and stuff (maybe a leg, too). Also grated cheese and slaw.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1489 on: January 07, 2020, 09:31:51 AM »
Last night -- delicious and beautiful falafels (https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/12/falafel/) with pita bread (purchased, it was a busy day), zaug sauce, cucumber salad, carrot salad, tahini sauce, quick-marinated shallots, hummus, olives, and crunchy lettuce leaves.

Tonight: Pozole. I purchased an extra turkey right after thanksgiving, and had the guy cut it up, and I'll start the Pozole with the backbone and wings and stuff (maybe a leg, too). Also grated cheese and slaw.

I'll be over for dinner.  ;) 

Honestly, @jeninco  -- you and @horsepoor have some of the yummiest sounding meals.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1490 on: January 07, 2020, 09:56:15 AM »
Leftover chicken/veg curry & rice

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1491 on: January 07, 2020, 10:06:51 AM »

Honestly, @jeninco  -- you and @horsepoor have some of the yummiest sounding meals.

Thanks! I think @OtherJen has some delicious-sounding dinners, too.

I gotta say -- the falafel mixture has to be started soaking the night before, but the actual assembly and cooking is really fast and easy. Most of the stuff was purchased, or assembled as the mixture was frying -- and it cooks really quickly, like 5 minutes per ball, and I cooked a dozen or more at once. I recommend trying it!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1492 on: January 07, 2020, 04:14:23 PM »
Having spatchcock chicken, mashed taters and broccoli spears!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1493 on: January 07, 2020, 06:26:46 PM »

Thanks! I think @OtherJen has some delicious-sounding dinners, too.

I gotta say -- the falafel mixture has to be started soaking the night before, but the actual assembly and cooking is really fast and easy. Most of the stuff was purchased, or assembled as the mixture was frying -- and it cooks really quickly, like 5 minutes per ball, and I cooked a dozen or more at once. I recommend trying it!

Aw, thanks! I get a lot of inspiration from your menus.

Tonight's dinner was straight-up winter comfort food: broccoli and brown rice casserole with a bit of turkey and cheddar cheese.

I think tomorrow might be a good time to try the mushroom bourguignon. I just bought a big pack of mushrooms from Costco.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1494 on: January 07, 2020, 08:13:13 PM »
Kale pesto with gluten free chickpea pasta (we're not gf, but had a friend over for dinner who is) with roasted butternut squash on the side. Tried this recipe out for the first time, and it was super good! I love kale in all forms, but if you aren't a huge fan this would be a good way to eat an entire big bunch of kale without really tasting too kale-y. Plus kale is pretty cheap this time of year. Next time I'll see how well it works with frozen kale, might be a good way to keep it cheap when it's not in season.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1495 on: January 08, 2020, 12:06:13 PM »

Last night, lentil/sausage/kale soup from smitten kitchen. With rice, because we've had bread with dinner for the past several nights.

Tonight, probably vegan lo mein -- for reasons of environment and economy I'm trying to get getter about finding vegetarian and vegan recipes for several dinners per week.

Tomorrow, I'll be out until late, but I'll suggest the guys make colcannon (our version uses sharp cheddar, for flavor and for gluing everything together), with or without burgers. Or defrost some chili.

This is my plan as well.  I'm going to add vegetarian meals gradually until there is mutiny from my family. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 12:07:51 PM by Sugaree »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1496 on: January 08, 2020, 03:18:46 PM »
Two lasagnas -- one veggie, one meat

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1497 on: January 08, 2020, 05:19:09 PM »
Slow cooked red wine and garlic flavoured beef stew with mishrooms and other assorted veggies.  The beef cooked overnight, and the house smells so good.  Veggies get added today so they don'tbecome mush.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1498 on: January 08, 2020, 06:42:12 PM »
Holy cow. Husband just made the Smitten Kitchen mushroom bourguignon with mashed potatoes. That was one of the most satisfying vegetarian meals I’ve ever had. Husband was practically an obligate carnivore earlier in our marriage, so his willingness to make this and, after eating, talk about making it again was major.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1499 on: January 08, 2020, 08:23:53 PM »
Holy cow. Husband just made the Smitten Kitchen mushroom bourguignon with mashed potatoes. That was one of the most satisfying vegetarian meals I’ve ever had. Husband was practically an obligate carnivore earlier in our marriage, so his willingness to make this and, after eating, talk about making it again was major.

Thanks for the review!  I was actually looking at a different mushroom bourguignon recipe a day or  two ago, but I think I'll make this one.