Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950059 times)

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1300 on: October 24, 2019, 09:28:43 PM »
https://www.thekitchn.com/chicken-spaghetti-22949285

A little more work than I usually put into pasta dishes, but I made enough for two more dinners and a lunch, so most will go into the freezer for quick meals.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1301 on: October 25, 2019, 05:54:40 PM »
Frozen gluten-free pizza from Costco, topped with pepperoni, salami, green bell pepper, and fresh basil. Side dish of garlicky sauteed zucchini.

It's grant season and my only break all day was spent on a quick shower and reheated lunch. I'm putting Costco frozen pizza on my Thanksgiving gratitude list next month.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1302 on: October 26, 2019, 08:57:12 AM »
I guess we'll just warm up a frozen pizza tonight, as we bought them for the occasion. The house needs to stay fully staged for the viewing tomorrow. Tomorrow evening we might eat somewhere in a restaurant because of next viewing the next day..

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1303 on: October 26, 2019, 09:31:35 AM »
Big pot of beanless chili, ricotta biscuits and coleslaw.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1304 on: October 26, 2019, 10:50:06 AM »
Picadillo seasoned with a homemade garlicky tomato, guajillo, and pasilla sauce and mixed with some pinquito beans. I'll probably eat it with corn tortillas. Husband will probably opt for rice.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1305 on: October 27, 2019, 03:39:24 PM »
We're having: grilled salmon & chicken sausages (1/2 diners will choose one, & the other half the other) & brussels sprouts. My 12 year old also made homemade breadsticks, so the kids will also have that.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1306 on: October 27, 2019, 04:21:16 PM »
Picadillo seasoned with a homemade garlicky tomato, guajillo, and pasilla sauce and mixed with some pinquito beans. I'll probably eat it with corn tortillas. Husband will probably opt for rice.

This sounds fantastic!

It's 31 and snowing here and has been all day, so I pulled all the packages labelled "soup bones" that came with our 1/2 steer and the tail, roasted them for an hour at 350, and then dumped everything into a large pot with some water and a few bay leaves. Half the shredded meat is already in the freezer, and I'll make stew with the other half and some of the stock.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1307 on: October 27, 2019, 05:56:20 PM »

This sounds fantastic!

It's 31 and snowing here and has been all day, so I pulled all the packages labelled "soup bones" that came with our 1/2 steer and the tail, roasted them for an hour at 350, and then dumped everything into a large pot with some water and a few bay leaves. Half the shredded meat is already in the freezer, and I'll make stew with the other half and some of the stock.

It was really good and deeply satisfying.

Your homemade beef soup/stock sounds amazing! There are few meals that I enjoy more than a big bowl of beef-vegetable soup.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1308 on: October 27, 2019, 05:58:34 PM »
Tonight's dinner: the rest of the half-lb of ground beef cooked into homemade red sauce. I tossed a parmesan rind into the sauce pot because, why not? We'll eat it with pasta.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1309 on: October 27, 2019, 08:38:52 PM »

This sounds fantastic!

It was really good and deeply satisfying.

Your homemade beef soup/stock sounds amazing! There are few meals that I enjoy more than a big bowl of beef-vegetable soup.

It was delicious, and also a huge PITA. I'm a big believer in using the entire animal, but I also spent over an hour separating meat from bones (and other stuff). Fortunately, it was pretty icky outside, what with snow blowing sideways, so a good day to be spending more time cooking. And I'll be happy to have the stock, and the shredded meat.

Also, the soup was lovely.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1310 on: October 28, 2019, 06:06:04 PM »
I made a big batch of this pumpkin bisque, because it's pumpkin season:

https://happyhealthymama.com/pantry-pumpkin-bisque.html

Plus, cave-aged gruyere cheese and Vermont cheddar melted on toasted sourdough baguettes.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1311 on: October 28, 2019, 06:19:41 PM »
I wanted a light dinner so I just finished 3 scrambled eggs and 5 pieces of buttered toast.

Did I just eat breakfast for dinner?

HA!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 06:22:23 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1312 on: October 28, 2019, 08:58:07 PM »
MMM-approved pasta'n'beans from this weekend's NY Times. It's fancied up with buerre blanc, and we threw in some kale.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1313 on: October 29, 2019, 12:54:26 AM »
Tonight was risotto with leeks, shallots, and mushrooms. Side was whole green beans, blanched, then grilled with olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt.  Happily, there is risotto left over, which means yummy lunch for me!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1314 on: October 29, 2019, 01:21:54 AM »
I think it will be a wok full of beans or lentils, some veggies and some blue cheese or Brie. And fresh herbs, we have basil, oregano and parsley. I will probably freeze the parsley.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1315 on: October 29, 2019, 07:48:59 AM »
I've been faux dry-aging a couple t-bone steaks in the fridge.  I'll do a simple cook on those, and have them with sauteed mushrooms and our new favorite fish sauce roasted broccoli.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1316 on: October 29, 2019, 08:27:20 AM »
I've been faux dry-aging a couple t-bone steaks in the fridge. 

How does this work? I know the gist of actual dry aging but seems really finicky to do in a normal fridge so I've never tried.

katekat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1317 on: October 29, 2019, 08:41:19 AM »
Vegetarian sausages, with roasted veg — sweet potato, onion, pepper, garlic

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1318 on: October 29, 2019, 10:53:21 AM »
Roasted chicken in shawarma marinade with garlic sauce, green salad, maybe roasted cauliflower.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1319 on: October 30, 2019, 08:26:46 AM »
I've been faux dry-aging a couple t-bone steaks in the fridge. 

How does this work? I know the gist of actual dry aging but seems really finicky to do in a normal fridge so I've never tried.

I just salt them and put them on a rack above a plate, then flip and salt again and let them dry out for a few days.  They aren't as tenderized, but it gets the excess moisture out.  It looks like the real way to do it would be to get some Koji rice to rub them with.  https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/how-to/article/dry-age-shortcut-koji

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1320 on: October 30, 2019, 12:26:49 PM »
Tonight we had veggie burgers, which I think contsined beet root to give the burger the association with bloody red meat. It worked, I had that association, but I generally don't like rare meat, so it turned me off mentally a bit.
Served with cooked broccoli and cooked potatoes. With a creamy sauce with a good blue cheese in it.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1321 on: October 30, 2019, 05:32:58 PM »
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/251837/curried-squash-chicken-soup/

(Except, used an actual baked Kabocha squash, a full can of full-fat coconut milk, less shredded chicken (.8 lb thighs was in the freezer), a bunch of bok choi and made rice.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1322 on: October 31, 2019, 07:26:06 AM »
Pork chops (haven’t decided the preparation). Side of roasted beets in orange-balsamic vinaigrette with goat cheese and pecans. Possibly another vegetable side.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1323 on: October 31, 2019, 07:31:36 AM »
I have put boneless chicken thighs to thaw. Need to make something with that, probably with pepper and squash.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1324 on: October 31, 2019, 07:37:25 AM »
I have put boneless chicken thighs to thaw. Need to make something with that, probably with pepper and squash.

This is what we did with ours on Tuesday: https://www.copymethat.com/r/Sx46RVV/nyt-chicken-shawarma/. It is very good, especially with garlic sauce (approx. 200 ml of thick, full-fat yogurt with minced garlic (1 or 2 cloves, depending on preference), juice from half a lemon, salt to taste).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1325 on: October 31, 2019, 07:42:56 AM »

This is what we did with ours on Tuesday: https://www.copymethat.com/r/Sx46RVV/nyt-chicken-shawarma/. It is very good, especially with garlic sauce (approx. 200 ml of thick, full-fat yogurt with minced garlic (1 or 2 cloves, depending on preference), juice from half a lemon, salt to taste).

Thanks for the idea. But it takes quite a bit of time that I don't have on a working day: one hour marinating and 40 minutes in the oven. I would need to do a quick and dirty version of it, using the spices, but skipping the marination time and just stir fry the meat.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1326 on: October 31, 2019, 08:48:29 AM »

I was going to suggest soup, with potatoes and vegetables, but I'm not sure peppers and squash are the best for that. Summer squash, or winter squash? If it's winter squash, I'm probably go ahead with the soup and use the peppers for salad (or saute them).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1327 on: October 31, 2019, 12:16:29 PM »

I was going to suggest soup, with potatoes and vegetables, but I'm not sure peppers and squash are the best for that. Summer squash, or winter squash? If it's winter squash, I'm probably go ahead with the soup and use the peppers for salad (or saute them).

Just normal summer squash. In Norway we don't have winter squash. I looked them up and it was summer squash, which we just call squash.

I made the dish above with rice. Chicken in the oven with the herbs. Veggies in the sty fry with the same herbs and a good dash of thick cream. Use some fresh parsley for topping. It tasted well.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1328 on: October 31, 2019, 12:52:30 PM »

Just normal summer squash. In Norway we don't have winter squash. I looked them up and it was summer squash, which we just call squash.

I made the dish above with rice. Chicken in the oven with the herbs. Veggies in the sty fry with the same herbs and a good dash of thick cream. Use some fresh parsley for topping. It tasted well.

No winter squash?  What a tragedy!  I'd be lost without kabocha and acorn squashes and, although my least favorite to cut, butternut!

Tonight we are having one last "simple summer pasta" with our garden tomatoes.  I don't think we'll get enough more to make another batch of the sauce (tomatoes sauteed with garlic and onions then simmered with wine or broth and cannelini beans) this year.  It was glorious while it lasted!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1329 on: November 01, 2019, 05:34:34 AM »
This summer I joined a CSA and for 16 weeks got a variety of veggies and some fruits. One thing I got a lot of was squash. Yellow squash, zukes, Delicato. We also got a lot of eggplants. I am not a big fan of squash and prepared it different ways and it was always kind of yuk to me. How do you all cook yours. I have tried slicing it and coating with olive oil, salt, pepper, Italian spices. Roasting in the oven, on the grill, in a skillet and it is blah. There is only so much eggplant parmesan anyone can eat. I have dipped them in flour, egg, breadcrumbs and baked in the oven. Very good and have frozen them for later on.

I am on the fence about joining the CSA again because I just don't want all the squash's unless I can find some good recipes!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1330 on: November 01, 2019, 05:47:43 AM »
With zucchini, I often slice or spiralize it and sauté it in olive oil with garlic, fresh tomatoes, and Penzey's Greek seasoning. Sometimes I add mushrooms or red bell pepper and/or a splash of red wine vinegar. Once everything is soft, I crumble in some feta.

Zucchini is also good grated in fritters or quick bread, or diced up as one of several ingredients in soup or stir-fry.

My only suggestion for eggplant is baba ganoush. It's the only way my husband will eat it. If you roast the eggplant on a grill to give it some char, it tastes even better. I agree that eggplant parmesan is delightful.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1331 on: November 01, 2019, 06:30:34 AM »
I usually cut summer squash into pieces and add them to a wok with red pepper, mushrooms, meat/cheese and when I still used to eat unions, an union. It is one of my default low fodmap stir fry vegetables for pasta or rice dishes. I also put it on pizza.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1332 on: November 01, 2019, 06:35:27 AM »
I like to mix summer squash or zucchini into a baked ziti type casserole, or baked in a casserole with red wine vinegar and italian herbs.  Zucchini bread is always a hit.  I haven't tried spiralized yet, but I did slice a large one lengthwise to make lasagna with meat sauce, which was pretty good.  One of my coworkers puts zucchini in her meatloaf.

DH refuses to eat eggplant in any incarnation, so I haven't had the opportunity to experiment with that.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1333 on: November 01, 2019, 07:10:50 AM »
Another thing I did with eggplant is breaded them as if I would for eggplant parmesan. Prior to breading, I cut the eggplant into strips like thick French fries. Then baked in the oven till a bit crispy. They did come out good! (Eggplant French Fries). However, this was on the tail end of the CSA and I didn't discover this till one of my last eggplants.

I wonder how balsamic vinegar on the squash would be rather than red wine vinegar?

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1334 on: November 01, 2019, 07:14:41 AM »
Another thing I did with eggplant is breaded them as if I would for eggplant parmesan. Prior to breading, I cut the eggplant into strips like thick French fries. Then baked in the oven till a bit crispy. They did come out good! (Eggplant French Fries). However, this was on the tail end of the CSA and I didn't discover this till one of my last eggplants.

I wonder how balsamic vinegar on the squash would be rather than red wine vinegar?

I've done balsamic as well, depending on what I was serving it with.  Balsamic is stronger and sweeter.  Still works very well - really you can probably use any good flavored vinegar, though I've never tried with white wine or rice vinegar.  Apple cider vinegar works too, though again depends what you are serving it with.

Those fries sound good!  Bet it would work with zucchini as well.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1335 on: November 01, 2019, 09:54:41 AM »

No winter squash?  What a tragedy!  I'd be lost without kabocha and acorn squashes and, although my least favorite to cut, butternut!

Of the things you name, we only have butternut squash, but only in very few shops that out outside my daily route. I think pumpkin might have a similar function and I hope they are on sale from now.
Maybe we should build a greenhouse some time and grow our own inspiring stuff.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1336 on: November 01, 2019, 10:23:22 AM »

Of the things you name, we only have butternut squash, but only in very few shops that out outside my daily route. I think pumpkin might have a similar function and I hope they are on sale from now.

I'm not a big fan of hard squash other than butternut, pumpkin, and spaghetti squash. I'd think the butternut and pumpkin would be interchangeable in many recipes.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1337 on: November 01, 2019, 10:34:13 AM »

I'm not a big fan of hard squash other than butternut, pumpkin, and spaghetti squash. I'd think the butternut and pumpkin would be interchangeable in many recipes.

Kabocha squash is like a vastly improved pumpkin: it's less watery and bland, and more sweet and delicious. Kiri squash is similar. Delicata has the benefit of (if you scrub it) edible skin, so you can cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and cut it into thin rounds, then sautee them.

Also, there are a ton of traditional Japanese recipes for Kabocha squash (which, yes, would work for other kinds too), for variation in the winter diet.

I wonder if Linda can't get these because of the growing season length?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1338 on: November 01, 2019, 10:36:17 AM »

Kabocha squash is like a vastly improved pumpkin: it's less watery and bland, and more sweet and delicious. Kiri squash is similar. Delicata has the benefit of (if you scrub it) edible skin, so you can cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and cut it into thin rounds, then sautee them.

Also, there are a ton of traditional Japanese recipes for Kabocha squash (which, yes, would work for other kinds too), for variation in the winter diet.

I think i've only ever seen delicata squash in the local produce market, and only once. I didn't buy it then because I'm not a huge fan of acorn squash and didn't know if the two would be similar.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1339 on: November 01, 2019, 03:18:13 PM »

Norway has to import most of these squashe types and I think they just don't import them. And our local shops only have like 1500-2000 goods to keep them cheapish. It really pays off to buy at those limited shops. And I need to drive alot to find a shop that sells more, like the butternut squash, and I only visit it occasionally. But next time I visit such a shop, I will look around whether they have any of the other squashes.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1340 on: November 01, 2019, 04:47:09 PM »
Making gluten free frozen pizza from Costco tonight.  Going to add some fresh pepperoni to give it a bit of pizazz. 

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1341 on: November 01, 2019, 09:15:53 PM »
We were at a soccer game 4-6 pm (and the school hadn't shoveled our bleachers, so we were standing in snow -- brr!) so when we got home we re-heated a block of chili from the freezer and had clean-out-the-fridge nachos, with tortilla chips, grated cheese, a couple of jalapinos that I dry-roasted in a skillet and then chopped,(and seeded) and a big salad.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1342 on: November 02, 2019, 08:44:39 AM »
I was supposed to try making pupusas tonight, but I forgot to soak the beans last night.  Instead maybe I'll make sweet potato gnocchi - I've been meaning to try my gnocchi recipe with sweet potato, and I have some extra from the sweet potato soup I made last week.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1343 on: November 02, 2019, 08:50:16 AM »
I'm always amazed at all you creatives out there that manage to find interesting ways to use up random leftover ingredients.  I have no confidence with this so DH and I never buy extra ingredients, but try to get as spot on as possible in order to have just the amount to put in the recipes we make each night.  There are a few things, of course, that we always end up with extra of that I go to great lengths to try to use up randomly, but it's just usually small bits of ginger or what-have-you.  The worst is parsley.  Always too much and I really don't love the herb, so I hate using it when I don't absolutely have to and it often spoils before we finish it.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #1344 on: November 02, 2019, 09:07:28 AM »
Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic, in the Instant Pot.  I've never had it before but I don't see any way this can go wrong.  :-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1345 on: November 02, 2019, 09:29:13 AM »
I'm always amazed at all you creatives out there that manage to find interesting ways to use up random leftover ingredients.  I have no confidence with this so DH and I never buy extra ingredients, but try to get as spot on as possible in order to have just the amount to put in the recipes we make each night.  There are a few things, of course, that we always end up with extra of that I go to great lengths to try to use up randomly, but it's just usually small bits of ginger or what-have-you.  The worst is parsley.  Always too much and I really don't love the herb, so I hate using it when I don't absolutely have to and it often spoils before we finish it.

Use the freezer. According to the Budget Bites website you can freeze ginger and also things like lemons. I have just frozen parsley and some other leftover herbs in ziplock bags.

For leftover foods I have a very simple Norwegian dish, called Pytt i Panne. You dice potatoes, unions, carrots, peppers, bacon or any other kind of meat or vegetable you have left over. All roughly cut the same size. You might want to precook the potato dices in the microwave for some minutes. After that, you put everything in a wok and stir fry it until done. Add herbs and spices. Ready to serve.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1346 on: November 02, 2019, 04:12:08 PM »

Use the freezer. According to the Budget Bites website you can freeze ginger and also things like lemons. I have just frozen parsley and some other leftover herbs in ziplock bags.

I have always found frozen herbs to be limp and soggy when they defrost from the freezer. No? Except maybe like thyme or rosemary, with their thick stems and tiny leaves.  I guess if you are going to cook the herbs it might still be ok?  But it seems like those kind of leafy herbs like parsley are usually used as garnish and I feel a little sad putting that limp stuff on my food!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1347 on: November 03, 2019, 06:27:05 PM »
Carnitas tacos, with meat via this recipe: https://www.budgetbytes.com/slow-cooker-carnitas/. I will definitely make this again.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1348 on: November 03, 2019, 07:48:28 PM »
Ginger keeps indefinitely in the fridge if you peel (or scrape) it, cut it into "coins" and put in a jar which you then fill with sherry (or not "fill", but you want the ginger to be under the sherry level). Bonus: the leftover sherry is great added to stir-fry-type things.

I use leftover parsley in green sauce: take off the cruddy-looking parts, add lemon juice (maybe one lemon per full batch of parsley), enough olive oil to get the stuff to emulsify (I dunno, start with 1/3 cup and add more if necessary), and salt to taste. grind to bits with a immersion blender. When it's smooth and tastes good, you're done. This is great on anything bean and/or tomato-related, or on grilled meat. If you want to get really fancy, you can toss in an anchovy or two.

We had homemade pizza for dinner: DS15 wants to take pizza slices for lunches this week, so WTF, why not: we made 5 (three small ones for dinner, and two more for his lunches) with mushrooms, marinated peppers, tiny pieces of salami, and I used up a couple of TB of leftover goat cheese on one of them.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1349 on: November 03, 2019, 07:57:29 PM »
I bought some veggie burgers on sale that came in a box. The damn box took up so much room in my freezer that I cooked the burgers for dinner, along with roasted rainbow carrots and grilled asparagus. I grilled the burgers, then used the same grill pan for the asparagus. Did the carrots in the toaster oven. Easy-peasy cleanup.