Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950074 times)

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1200 on: September 10, 2019, 01:08:50 AM »
Asian-themed dinner party at my house last night. I made:
  • Cantonese sticky rice
  • Honey garlic riblets and chicken wings
  • Potstickers (frozen from Costco)
  • Vietnamese pickled daikon and carrots
  • Lettuce salad with sesame dressing (not pictured)
Everything was a huge hit, and our guests took most of the leftovers with them.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1201 on: September 10, 2019, 09:15:20 AM »
Last night was roasted 'orange' cauliflower and seared Ahi tuna.  Yum.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1202 on: September 11, 2019, 05:44:40 AM »
Cabbage is extremely cheap at this moment. So we'll eat that, probably with minced meat and potatoes, all mixed together. With curry powder.

Yesterday we had a warm up commercial pizza, as we had a lot of stuff to do in the evening and little time to eat.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 01:02:20 AM by Linea_Norway »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1203 on: September 11, 2019, 08:57:06 AM »
Our half steer is coming in next week, and I'm working hard to empty the freezers.
Tonight: cheeseburger salad -- pretty much everything that would go on a cheeseburger, except that I saute the beef (with onions, mustard, ketchup, worchesteshire sauce) and dump it on top of a salad. Should use up some arugula that's turning.
Tomorrow: perhaps smitten kitchen's current chickpea recipe?
Friday: ground beef and cabbage in red curry sauce, from NWEdible

lookingforadelorean

• Stubble
« Reply #1204 on: September 11, 2019, 06:49:58 PM »
Arroz con pollo in the instant pot. One of my favorites! We'll have a cabbage salad on the side.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1205 on: September 11, 2019, 10:31:58 PM »
Inspired by a recipe I saw for French onion porkchops, I sauteed some onions, garlic and herbs in butter, then browned some pork chops (little chops from a Kune Kune pig my co-worker raised) and finished them in the oven smothered in the onions plus some grainy mustard.  On the side, some homegrown steamed carrots with butter and Aleppo pepper.  Tried making a Caesar salad dressing, but it came out too fishy, so I scrapped that endeavor.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1206 on: September 12, 2019, 01:03:43 AM »
Home alone tonight. There is papper and zucchini in the fridge, as well as a pack of eggs. I'll improvise something veggie out of it. And throw in some mushrooms, maybe from the weird types that I have in the freezer.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1207 on: September 12, 2019, 10:02:38 AM »
Leftover steak with leftover orange cauliflower.  Both reheat very nicely.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1208 on: September 13, 2019, 12:29:05 AM »
A commercial bag of dried food, added boiling water to it. I am going to spend the night in a hammock in the forest and need something very simple to eat. My homemade dried food is double portions and slightly more hassle, because I need a pan and a cosy. These commercial bags can be stirred and eaten directly from the bag.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1209 on: September 13, 2019, 02:16:21 PM »
Last night I made one of my most favorite meals. It is so easy and I think it is really upscale!
It is called: Roasted Tomato Sauce

In a 9 X 13 casserole add: Plum tomatoes (I used 2 cans (28 oz) San Marzano with the sauce in the can and garden tomatoes), fresh chopped garlic (I used about 20 cloves but it calls for about 4), salt, crushed red pepper, dried Italian seasoning, pour 1 cup of olive oil (I used extra Virgin olive oil) over top of tomatoes garlic, spices. Roast in the oven at 375 for about 30-40 minutes. In the meantime boil up a pound of spaghetti, al dente. Rinse with cold water/strain. Place in an extra big bowl and mix with a little olive oil to prevent sticking together. Cut up about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. fresh mozzarella or use the fresh mini mozzarella balls. Throw on top of spaghetti. Take a handful of fresh basil and pluck the leaves off and throw in with the spaghetti and mozzarella. Once sauce is bubbling hot in the oven, remove from oven and pour it over the spaghetti. Toss all ingredients. Serve!

You can add as much garlic, crushed red pepper, spices, salt and mozzarella as you like. This makes a lot so we will have leftovers tonight!

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1210 on: September 13, 2019, 04:16:31 PM »
Last night I made one of my most favorite meals. It is so easy and I think it is really upscale!
It is called: Roasted Tomato Sauce

In a 9 X 13 casserole add: Plum tomatoes (I used 2 cans (28 oz) San Marzano with the sauce in the can and garden tomatoes), fresh chopped garlic (I used about 20 cloves but it calls for about 4), salt, crushed red pepper, dried Italian seasoning, pour 1 cup of olive oil (I used extra Virgin olive oil) over top of tomatoes garlic, spices. Roast in the oven at 375 for about 30-40 minutes. In the meantime boil up a pound of spaghetti, al dente. Rinse with cold water/strain. Place in an extra big bowl and mix with a little olive oil to prevent sticking together. Cut up about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. fresh mozzarella or use the fresh mini mozzarella balls. Throw on top of spaghetti. Take a handful of fresh basil and pluck the leaves off and throw in with the spaghetti and mozzarella. Once sauce is bubbling hot in the oven, remove from oven and pour it over the spaghetti. Toss all ingredients. Serve!

You can add as much garlic, crushed red pepper, spices, salt and mozzarella as you like. This makes a lot so we will have leftovers tonight!

Wow this sounds really good.
One question, does the fresh mozzarella not make the noodles stick together?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1211 on: September 13, 2019, 04:41:02 PM »
Wow this sounds really good.
One question, does the fresh mozzarella not make the noodles stick together?

No, you put the mozzarella in chunks or balls into the mixture. It melts a little but stays in little pillows of cheese. It gets melty but does not melt into the mixture. If you make it as I have said, even the next day the refrigerated leftovers will have lumps of mozzarella that you can fish out and eat!

I love this recipe! A person I used to work with went to a cooking class and this was one of the recipes that they made. She brought leftovers to work and I smelled the aroma as she was eating it at lunch and it was heaven!

I didn't mention but the recipe calls for 3 lbs of tomatoes. I just fill the 9 x 13 pan with everything mentioned and leave enough room for the olive oil. The recipe also called for 1 1/2 lbs. of  spaghetti but I always use one pound. The recipe is very forgiving and you can adjust as you please. You could probably add meat, chicken, sausage to it. I just make it as I have listed. DROOL, DROOL, DROOL! We LOVE garlic, and if you do, add a lot! Just don't make this with lots of garlic if you are going to the dentist the next day! LOL!

I hope you like it if you make it!

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1212 on: September 13, 2019, 06:34:57 PM »
I made this tonight:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/lebanese-lentils-rice-and-caramelized-onions-mujadara-recipe-1925439

My only changes to this good recipe are that I use regular yellow onions, not red, and I mix all of them into the rice-lentils rather than take some out for garnish. Also, instead of cayenne I grind some crushed red pepper with the cumin (I like the taste of it better) and use chopped almonds instead of pine nuts. Otherwise I follow all the directions and it comes out great every time I make it.

Served with a salad and some pita bread.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1213 on: September 13, 2019, 06:40:20 PM »
I sautéed onions and bell peppers in bacon fat, added a few cups of homemade tomato-mushroom sauce (bulk recipe from my freezer stash), a can of chickpeas, some spinach, and fresh basil, and simmered the whole mess for 30 minutes before adding back the crumbled bacon. Served the whole mess over gluten-free penne (brown rice+quinoa) from Aldi.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1214 on: September 14, 2019, 11:14:37 AM »
I'm making my new go-to for ground turkey: Italian Turkey Meatloaf. I'm using my garden-grown Italian herb mix with it. I'm also cooking up some fresh organic veggies from our garden -- summer squash, sugar snap pea pods, and Romano beans -- with rosemary leaves, sea salt, and olive oil. Dessert will be homemade vanilla ice cream. Might crack a bottle of wine we got for cheap from Naked Wines as well. Time to celebrate the weekend. :-)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1215 on: September 14, 2019, 02:43:21 PM »
Roasted butternut squash and beets, with pork chops for the others and leftover salmon for me.  Rice if anyone wants additional starch, but between the squash and beets, I think no one will.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1216 on: September 14, 2019, 05:16:52 PM »
This ceviche recipe by Rick Bayless (a famous chef I have a little crush on) https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013146-green-ceviche-with-cucumber

The roasted garlic and peppers really make the recipe, but it also benefits from the best fish you can get your hands on, so it's a splurge recipe and is not cheap.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1217 on: September 14, 2019, 05:50:05 PM »
Vadouvan chicken curry with okra, tomato, onion and eggplant from the garden, served over Tandoori cauliflower fried "rice".

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1218 on: September 14, 2019, 06:12:08 PM »
Grilled salmon with roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and butternut squash.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1219 on: September 14, 2019, 06:15:17 PM »
My son made beef stew last night, with a single bhut jolokia (ghost) pepper.  It's just a touch too spicy for me to eat on its own, so I'm pairing it with a leftover baked potato to cut the heat a little. 

We have about a dozen more ripe peppers on that plant, along with about a dozen ripe chocolate 7 pot peppers (with more to ripen).  I can handle the habanero peppers a bit better (we have both orange and chocolate).  We'll probably pick the ripe ones this week and either dehydrate or smoke them to use later.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1220 on: September 15, 2019, 05:16:50 PM »
I warmed up a leftover portion of chili con carne from the freezer.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1221 on: September 15, 2019, 08:28:05 PM »
Bunless burgers stuffed with a bit of blue cheese, roasted potato wedges, and big green salads.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1222 on: September 15, 2019, 09:01:18 PM »
After a lot of chicken eating last 2 days, wanted to have something simple for dinner. Had white rice, pepper water, potatoes home fries.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1223 on: September 15, 2019, 10:08:38 PM »
Homemade mac and cheese with pesto cheese sauce, with sausages and baby bok choy on the side. DH is on a work trip and I'm on a diet, so the pasta is enough to last the kids for two meals.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1224 on: September 16, 2019, 07:10:47 PM »
I call it cabbage bolognese - essentially a meat sauce cooked with shredded cabbage, then I add a can of black olives at the end.  Good low carb, high veg comfort food, and there's leftovers for tomorrow!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1225 on: September 17, 2019, 01:24:20 AM »
Trout fillet that my DH caught last weekend, with asparagus and either normal of sweet potato.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1226 on: September 17, 2019, 09:48:35 AM »
Leftover seared scallops chopped up and put into a Caesar salad.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1227 on: September 17, 2019, 05:58:59 PM »
Broccoli-brown rice casserole with some chopped Costco rotisserie chicken mixed in. I wish I could find the recipe online; it’s the only one I’ve found that doesn’t have as a step, “dump in a can of condensed cream of chicken soup.” This one uses a bechamel base for the cheese sauce.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1228 on: September 17, 2019, 06:13:24 PM »
taco tuesday.

I chopped a bunch of veg yesterday, so my spouse can saute them up, mix them with canned refried beans and maybe some leftover chicken (or not).

And salad.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1229 on: September 17, 2019, 08:48:22 PM »
We had leftovers tonight, but I decided to get a jump on tomorrow by smoking a chicken.  Thinking about prepping some potato-leek soup in the Instant Pot so I can just turn it on to cook while I workout tomorrow. With rain and highs in the 60's suddenly, I'm making All The Soups.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1230 on: September 17, 2019, 10:03:43 PM »
Taco Tuesday!  Beef tacos with all the fixings... yum!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1231 on: September 17, 2019, 11:58:54 PM »
Fish cakes, sweet potato (maybe mashed with lime juice) and the vegetables that we have left in the fridge, I think half a pepper and half a zucchini. We'll be going on vacation tomorrow, so the fridge should be empty for things that can parish.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1232 on: September 18, 2019, 06:43:49 AM »
Pasta with pesto. Time to harvest a few more of the basil plants!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1233 on: September 18, 2019, 06:49:06 AM »

Second time today that I read about someone eating pasta pesto.
Do you add other ingredients to it? I usually add pesto to pasta as a flavor beside all the other ingredients.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1234 on: September 18, 2019, 09:59:09 AM »

Do you add other ingredients to it? I usually add pesto to pasta as a flavor beside all the other ingredients.

I haven't made it in years, so this is the recipe I'm going to try: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/best-pesto. I really love the flavor of basil so I'm happy to keep the recipe simple.

I'll probably add a bit more garlic and mix in some extra whole pine nuts at the end, because I've had it with the whole nuts at a local Italian restaurant and really enjoyed it. To keep my husband happy, I'll add some leftover sliced chicken for protein. I might make sautéed green beans and tomatoes as a vegetable side.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1235 on: September 18, 2019, 10:34:44 AM »

When I make pesto pasta, I usually saute some onions and bell peppers, plus maybe chicken or shrimp as a protein.  However, the pesto itself is very flavorful, and not just of basil.  It will usually have olive oil, garlic, parmesan cheese, and pine nuts or another nut.  Add a bit of fresh cracked pepper on top, and it doesn't need any other flavors.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1236 on: September 22, 2019, 02:52:07 PM »
Tonight: Smitten Kitchen's new recipe for "Eggplant Parmigian" https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/09/stuffed-eggplant-parmesan/  We may have salad with it, or I might see if I can poach some of the kale from our neighbor's garden. (Er, that's "poach" as in "somewhat illicitly take", not literally cook the kale in water.)

Tomorrow: We took possession of 1/2 steer (moo!) last week. Every freezer we have is completely full (like, don't open the side-by-side without shoes on), and I'm trying to figure out how to make space. (Step 1: I've already taken dog bones to most of the neighborhood families with dogs... Step 2: We had baby back ribs for dinner last week: they take up plenty of space, but don't contain much meat.) Next up: Cooking the heart (which is defrosting in the fridge). I was thinking something like this, (https://thehealthyfoodie.com/grilled-beef-heart/) but I'm open to any and all suggestions!

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1237 on: September 22, 2019, 04:15:35 PM »
Ooohh, no suggestions but I LOVE heart. I'm so jealous.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1238 on: September 23, 2019, 11:13:19 AM »
We are on Crete and will eat out for the fifth day in a row. Tomorrow, it might rain in the evening and the restaurants aren't so prepared for that. Most tables are not under a roof. Therefore we have decided to eat a good lunch at a restaurant and make a tapas like dinner at our room where we stay.
For the mustachian part, we don't eat 3 course dinners, but usually just a main course, which is quite enough.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1239 on: September 23, 2019, 03:29:36 PM »
I picked some tomatoes that just aren't pretty (split, soft, but not rotten) and am going to turn them into chili tonight, tossing in some home canned salsa from a couple seasons ago.  I'll freeze it in portions to keep in the freezer at work for quick meals there.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1240 on: September 23, 2019, 05:13:01 PM »
Made spaghetti with meat sauce 3 days ago.  Used up all my noodles, but had a lot of sauce left over.  So I added a bunch of red beans, chili, garlic, salt and pepper & turned it into a delicious chili.  Perfect for the cooler weather we're having now.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1241 on: September 23, 2019, 07:32:08 PM »

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

It actually turned out really well: I watched a couple of videos, then laid it out to trim and found that my butcher (who processes our steer) did an awesome job AGAIN -- almost all the tendons and veins had already been trimmed off. 10-15 more minutes of fussing at the thing with a sharp knife and I had a bunch of lovely, even pieces. I marinated them with a bit of balsamic vinegar, then fried them in a hot cast iron skillet with a mix of (a little) olive oil and (a lot of) butter. I tried to pull each piece out when it got somewhere between rare and medium rare, which mostly worked out OK. Then I deglazed the pan with a mixture of a little more balsamic and another knob of butter.

The texture, in case you're curious, was ... strangely consistently meaty, if that makes sense. Like, usually when you eat beef you get striated muscles, or fat mixed in, or little bits of connective tissue. This was just lovely, even, smooth meat. Taste was good.

Alongside, we had baked acorn squash, roasted brussels sprouts, and boiled potatoes semi-mashed and mixed with some sour cream. (I figured that even if the meat wasn't a hit,we'd have enough for dinner.)

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1242 on: September 24, 2019, 01:26:33 AM »
The texture, in case you're curious, was ... strangely consistently meaty, if that makes sense. Like, usually when you eat beef you get striated muscles, or fat mixed in, or little bits of connective tissue. This was just lovely, even, smooth meat. Taste was good.

This is exactly why I love heart. It's just such perfect meat, such fine texture. Pig heart and lamb heart are just as good. I really wish more people ate heart so that it's more available in stores here.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1243 on: September 24, 2019, 01:28:08 AM »
I found a new way to make fried rice today: mixing in crumbled salted duck egg at the end. Really adds a lot of flavor, kids and DH all liked it.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1244 on: September 26, 2019, 09:19:58 AM »
Quasi-mexican layered casserole: corn tortillas, seasoned meat, beans, cheese, chilis. Served with cabbage and carrot slaw, and hot sauce.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1245 on: September 26, 2019, 10:20:16 AM »
I managed to get my kids to eat curry for the first time this week. The trick was to only use a little bit of sauce, and also mix in some sauce that they are familiar with. While it wasn't quite the creamy curry you get in restaurants, it still looked and tasted like curry. I'm very excited, because my husband and I love curry but the kids won't touch it.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1246 on: September 26, 2019, 03:26:01 PM »
Leftover pot roast, mashed potatoes, and green beans from last night’s dinner.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1247 on: September 26, 2019, 04:31:27 PM »
leftovers.  Last night made this recipe (well, hubby "made" it.  I wrote it out, altered it to work in the instant pot, and chopped half the veggies.  It was in the instant pot when I got home).  It was delish, we gobbled it up (including the kids).  Got the recipe from a neighbor.

So good.  I used collards.  Cuz I had them.

https://www.occasionallyeggs.com/vegan-chickpea-sweet-potato-kale-curry/

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1248 on: September 26, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »
I made some spicy guac and dipped pork rinds in it.

Tomorrow I'm planning to make pork stroganoff and roasted Brussels sprouts.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1249 on: September 27, 2019, 11:15:52 AM »
Yesterday made mac and cheese in the Instant Pot. It was really good. However, I have to adjust the time a bit next time to keep the pasta a bit more al dente. It came out very creamy using only 4 oz. of cream cheese and shredded cheese. Both times I made it I was concerned with the water left in the pot but it all blends together with the cheeses at the end.

Today, I cooked chicken thighs in the Instant Pot and will make a quickie chicken pot pie with it using frozen mixed veggies, cream of chicken soup, onions, celery, baked with Grands refrigerated biscuits on top. Very homey old fashion meal.

Tomorrow I am making Italian stuffed eggplant using ground meat, spaghetti sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese. I am kind of winging the recipe with tips I found on YouTube.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!