Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950034 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1150 on: August 21, 2019, 09:35:54 AM »
Winner, winner, pasta dinner! Yes, it's Bucatini #12. I have two equidistant Grocery Outlets, and only one of them has it. Alas, it is the one that only has Senior Day every other week, so I didn't go there today, boo.

I got another batch of killer lemons, so if y'all give me an hour, I can make enough for everyone. Oh, wait! I only have 20 ramekins. Okay, we can do this if you sort yourselves into orderly groups...
Not a problem.  I'll bring my own ramekin and 20 extra for the interlopers.
Deal.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1151 on: August 21, 2019, 08:11:43 PM »
Winner, winner, pasta dinner! Yes, it's Bucatini #12. I have two equidistant Grocery Outlets, and only one of them has it. Alas, it is the one that only has Senior Day every other week, so I didn't go there today, boo.

I got another batch of killer lemons, so if y'all give me an hour, I can make enough for everyone. Oh, wait! I only have 20 ramekins. Okay, we can do this if you sort yourselves into orderly groups...
Deal.

I have 8 small ramekins, 4 or 6 medium-sized ones, and one fairly large one -- if I bring the big one, may I have that much?

Back on topic, we had curried sweet potato, broccoli and pork, with basmati rice for those who wanted it. My mom's in town, and she was the one who was inspired with the indian spices and coconut milk.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1152 on: August 21, 2019, 08:15:34 PM »
I made tomato beef noodles in the instant pot. Stew the beef and tomatoes first, then add noodles for an additional few minutes. I spooned out half the meat before adding noodles to freeze for another meal.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1153 on: August 21, 2019, 08:17:30 PM »
The last pizza in the freezer, topped with pepperoni, sliced mushrooms, and sliced onions. I had a hell of a day and couldn't cope with dinner from scratch.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1154 on: August 21, 2019, 08:47:53 PM »

Deal.

I have 8 small ramekins, 4 or 6 medium-sized ones, and one fairly large one -- if I bring the big one, may I have that much?
Of course. Although I have about the same number of medium-to-large ones that I wasn't counting. How about if we make a big one for you and a big one for me, and at least a medium for dragonswan? I love lemon. I may, in fact, have eaten the last two for breakfast today, which is why DH and I are heading out for a nice little after-dinner amble.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1155 on: August 21, 2019, 10:05:51 PM »
Can I have the recipe for that lemon pudding cake?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1156 on: August 21, 2019, 11:53:09 PM »
It's late and my brain is fried. I was looking for something that wasn't chocolate that I could make enough of to easily serve 12. IIRC, it was the result of some serious google-fu. The blog is Once Upon A Chef. https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/lemon-pudding-cakes.html
I just love lemons, had a bunch to use up and had all the other ingredients in my pantry.

Notes: It's very forgiving. It's easy to double the recipe, which is as far as I'd push it due to the whole egg white volume issue. I may have accidentally doubled the double when I was doubling the butter the first time I made this. It turned out fine. The second time, when I measured the butter correctly, was fine too. I am going to try a batch with KA Whole Wheat Baking Flour. I also bought some "natural" margarine [shudder] to try, just for the hell of it. If I do, I'll report back.

There are helpful tips on her blog in the comment section. I reduced the sugar by 25% to no ill effect. Someone suggested that mixing the lemon zest with the sugar was a good trick, even though it messes up the ingredient order a bit. I grated the zest onto a cutting mat, then dumped the sugar on top of it and used a large spatula to smush it together. It was fun and I think it Sugared Lemon Zest might be a really good, cheap and easy edible gift.

Warm Lemon Pudding Cakes By Jennifer Segal
Spoon into these lovely little lemon pudding cakes and discover a layer of luscious lemon pudding beneath the cake!
Servings: 6
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 5 Minutes
INGREDIENTS
•   3 large eggs, separated
•   1 cup milk (low fat or whole)
•   2 teaspoons lemon zest, from 2 lemons
•   6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, from 2 lemons
•   2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
•   1/4 teaspoon salt
•   6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
•   1 cup sugar
•   Fresh berries and Confectioners' sugar, for serving (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS
1.   Preheat the oven to 350°F and set a rack in the middle position. Spray six (6-oz) ramekins with nonstick cooking spray.
2.   In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, butter, and salt. Add the flour and sugar and whisk until smooth.
3.   In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. (The peaks should curl when you lift the beaters out of the bowl.) Spoon about 1/4 of the egg whites into the lemon mixture and whisk until smooth. Add the remaining egg whites and, using a rubber spatula, gently fold into the lemon mixture until smooth. The batter will be light, foamy, and liquidy.
4.   Place the prepared ramekins into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Ladle the batter evenly into the ramekins (it will come almost to the top). Using a teapot or pitcher, pour room temperature water into the pan to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Carefully place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the cakes are puffy and lightly golden on top. Using tongs, carefully remove the ramekins from the baking dish and let cool on a rack for about 20 minutes before serving. (They will sink a bit as they cool; that's okay.) Dust with Confectioners' sugar and serve with berries, if desired.
5.   Make Ahead: The cakes can be made a day ahead of time. Once completely cool, cover the cakes with plastic wrap and store at room temperature. Before serving, preheat the oven to 350°F and set a rack in the middle position. Remove the plastic wrap and place the ramekins on a baking sheet; heat for 10-15 minutes, until warmed through.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1157 on: August 22, 2019, 01:08:38 AM »
It's late and my brain is fried. I was looking for something that wasn't chocolate that I could make enough of to easily serve 12. IIRC, it was the result of some serious google-fu. The blog is Once Upon A Chef. https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/lemon-pudding-cakes.html
I just love lemons, had a bunch to use up and had all the other ingredients in my pantry.

Notes: It's very forgiving. It's easy to double the recipe, which is as far as I'd push it due to the whole egg white volume issue. I may have accidentally doubled the double when I was doubling the butter the first time I made this. It turned out fine. The second time, when I measured the butter correctly, was fine too. I am going to try a batch with KA Whole Wheat Baking Flour. I also bought some "natural" margarine [shudder] to try, just for the hell of it. If I do, I'll report back.

There are helpful tips on her blog in the comment section. I reduced the sugar by 25% to no ill effect. Someone suggested that mixing the lemon zest with the sugar was a good trick, even though it messes up the ingredient order a bit. I grated the zest onto a cutting mat, then dumped the sugar on top of it and used a large spatula to smush it together. It was fun and I think it Sugared Lemon Zest might be a really good, cheap and easy edible gift.

Warm Lemon Pudding Cakes By Jennifer Segal
Spoon into these lovely little lemon pudding cakes and discover a layer of luscious lemon pudding beneath the cake!
Servings: 6
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 5 Minutes
INGREDIENTS
•   3 large eggs, separated
•   1 cup milk (low fat or whole)
•   2 teaspoons lemon zest, from 2 lemons
•   6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, from 2 lemons
•   2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
•   1/4 teaspoon salt
•   6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
•   1 cup sugar
•   Fresh berries and Confectioners' sugar, for serving (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS
1.   Preheat the oven to 350°F and set a rack in the middle position. Spray six (6-oz) ramekins with nonstick cooking spray.
2.   In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, butter, and salt. Add the flour and sugar and whisk until smooth.
3.   In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. (The peaks should curl when you lift the beaters out of the bowl.) Spoon about 1/4 of the egg whites into the lemon mixture and whisk until smooth. Add the remaining egg whites and, using a rubber spatula, gently fold into the lemon mixture until smooth. The batter will be light, foamy, and liquidy.
4.   Place the prepared ramekins into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Ladle the batter evenly into the ramekins (it will come almost to the top). Using a teapot or pitcher, pour room temperature water into the pan to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Carefully place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the cakes are puffy and lightly golden on top. Using tongs, carefully remove the ramekins from the baking dish and let cool on a rack for about 20 minutes before serving. (They will sink a bit as they cool; that's okay.) Dust with Confectioners' sugar and serve with berries, if desired.
5.   Make Ahead: The cakes can be made a day ahead of time. Once completely cool, cover the cakes with plastic wrap and store at room temperature. Before serving, preheat the oven to 350°F and set a rack in the middle position. Remove the plastic wrap and place the ramekins on a baking sheet; heat for 10-15 minutes, until warmed through.

OMG this sounds soooo good!!!
I'm definitely putting lemons on my shopping list.

Edit: Just remembered that I'm trying to lose weight and on a diet :'(
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 01:11:04 AM by cloudsail »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1158 on: August 22, 2019, 02:44:37 AM »
Baked two chickens in the oven they were only 39cents a pound. Also made baked potatoes and beets. Plenty of chicken leftover for sandwiches today.

lookingforadelorean

• Stubble
« Reply #1159 on: August 24, 2019, 07:52:20 PM »
DH made his famous banh mi meatballs lettuce wraps at the request of our oldest daughter (birthday dinner). I love the pickled veggies that accompany them. We’re having banana cake for dessert. Yum!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1160 on: August 24, 2019, 08:20:09 PM »
I made a batch of the lentil casserole in this article. I was looking for a decent vegetarian meal and this fit the bill. It was pretty good, but next time I think I’ll try a Greek herb blend, a splash of red wine vinegar, and feta mixed in with the lentils.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1161 on: August 24, 2019, 10:28:21 PM »
DH made his famous banh mi meatballs lettuce wraps at the request of our oldest daughter (birthday dinner). I love the pickled veggies that accompany them. We’re having banana cake for dessert. Yum!

Oooh, that sounds good!

Miso salmon on the grill tonight along with Japanese eggplant from the garden grilled in an Adobo sauce, Shishito peppers, and golden beet/red cabbage slaw with a good dose of ginger (beets, peppers and cabbage also homegrown).

Tomorrow I'm going to cook a big beef roast in the electric smoker, and on the side we'll be having cheddar ricotta biscuits and more of the beet/cabbage slaw, but with Mexican style seasoning.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1162 on: August 25, 2019, 11:54:52 AM »
Three nights ago:
https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/sticky-sesame-and-sriracha-chicken-with-chopped-salad
(It's absolutely delicious!): them that wanted more carbs had rice noodles with it.

Two nights ago, we tried the New York Times recipe for rice noodle salad with ground pork and lots of herbs (not linking because ... meh.)

Last night, we had a neighbor for dinner and grilled steaks (we buy 1/3 steer every year, and the next one's coming in late Sept, so we have some beef to finish up) with fresh corn, a sicilian-style salad of grilled eggplants, marinated red peppers, and tomatoes, slightly vinegared beets, potatoes and greens, and a huge peach crisp for dessert.

Tonight, we're going to a friend's birthday party. Phew!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1163 on: August 25, 2019, 03:19:59 PM »
Husband has been slow-cooking a pork shoulder in the smoker all day. I'm planning to cook up a few ears of corn on the cob and make a simple salad of fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, and balsamic vinaigrette as the side dishes.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1164 on: August 25, 2019, 03:55:44 PM »
Trying my hand at daal today.  I've made split pea soup a bunch of times but I haven't braved the curry world too much.  I would love to stop buying Indian takeout!

Edit:  I followed this recipe:
https://thewanderlustkitchen.com/indian-red-lentil-dal/

Except I added 1/2 tsp of yellow curry powder.  Turned out great!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 07:11:46 PM by Wrenchturner »

lookingforadelorean

• Stubble
« Reply #1165 on: August 25, 2019, 07:40:10 PM »
Margaritas, shrimp tacos with avocado crema, and more banana cake.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1166 on: August 25, 2019, 07:45:55 PM »
Ribs & buttered corn.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1167 on: August 25, 2019, 08:48:34 PM »
I made these pull-apart meat pies that were really delicious. They weren't exactly a quick meal but it's the weekend and I wanted to do something special. The kids and DH loved them. I made a couple extras that we can reheat for a quick lunch next week.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1168 on: August 26, 2019, 11:08:13 AM »
Making egg roll in a bowl tonight

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1169 on: August 26, 2019, 06:25:00 PM »
Tacos composed of corn tortillas, leftover smoked pork shoulder, cotija cheese, Herdez guacamole salsa, and shredded romaine lettuce.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1170 on: August 26, 2019, 07:04:02 PM »
We're still using up home-grown tomatoes. Best way is fresh Mexican food, so that's what's on the menu again tonight. No one's complaining. I batch cooked chicken and quinoa, so it's a snap to prepare.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1171 on: August 27, 2019, 06:39:41 AM »
I made these pull-apart meat pies that were really delicious. They weren't exactly a quick meal but it's the weekend and I wanted to do something special. The kids and DH loved them. I made a couple extras that we can reheat for a quick lunch next week.
Those look delicious, is that a yeast dough?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1172 on: August 27, 2019, 06:52:28 AM »
I am thinking about making something vegetarian, as we haven't skipped meat or fish for a while:

Red pepper, chili pepper, squash, carrot, tomatoes and lentils, mixed with some spices, maybe taco type. Add served in wraps. I might grate some cheese as well. Edit: and some porcini mushrooms that I found.

By the way, yesterday I ate a little piece of an extremely expensive cheese. Some time ago, a Norwegian blue cheese (called Kraftkar) from a very small producer was chosen to be the world's best blue cheese. DH now bought 100 grams of it. It did indeed have a lot of taste and a very smooth and nice aftertaste. We have half the piece left and can eat another little bit. This was a one time occasion and we won't make a habit of buying it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:41:49 AM by Linea_Norway »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1173 on: August 27, 2019, 07:49:04 AM »
Took most of the leftover shredded beef, put it in a casserole pan with roasted cauliflower and covered it with shredded cheese and baked.  Easy and tasty enough that I ate too much last night.  Probably leftovers tonight.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1174 on: August 27, 2019, 09:40:07 AM »
I forgot to stick the chicken taco stuff in the crockpot this morning, so now I'm thinking egg drop soup and stir-fried broccoli.  The boys can have ramen noodles or rice with it.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1175 on: August 27, 2019, 01:47:13 PM »

Yes, but the original recipe did not call for yeast dough. It was more like roti bread. I just happen to like my dough fluffy and risen.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1176 on: August 27, 2019, 02:02:01 PM »
Homemade slow-cooked teriyaki chicken, steamed rice, steamed garden-grown sugar snap peas and green beans, and homemade vanilla ice cream. Total amount of effort for this: minimal. Thanks to meal planning ahead of time.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1177 on: August 27, 2019, 04:23:01 PM »

Yes, but the original recipe did not call for yeast dough. It was more like roti bread. I just happen to like my dough fluffy and risen.

They look wonderful!

We're having wild rice, shredded chicken, green bean and cantaloupe salad, with a lime-cumin dressing. It's hot!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1178 on: August 27, 2019, 04:54:33 PM »
We ended up having tacos last night (request from my 13 y.o.), so tonight will be egg roll in a bowl. I've tried a few recipes, and think this is the one we prefer. https://www.theseasonedmom.com/egg-roll-in-a-bowl/

I always double or triple the veggie ratio, and we top with peanuts & sriracha sauce to add a little bit of a kick. The always hungry teenager wraps his in a tortilla, to boost the calories.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1179 on: August 27, 2019, 05:05:40 PM »
It's been a very long day and my brain hurts a bit (honestly, volunteer work was more exhausting than paid work today).

I think we're having breakfast for dinner: bacon, fried potatoes, scrambled eggs. I have a surplus of bell peppers, so I think one of those, some sliced onion, and the last of the mushrooms will go in the eggs. Or maybe I'll keep it really simple and just do BLTs to use up the big, bright red tomatoes from the produce market.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1180 on: August 27, 2019, 06:08:39 PM »
Seared buffalo sausage with lots and lots of fresh sauerkraut. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1181 on: August 27, 2019, 07:03:27 PM »
On my own, so a meatball Hot Pocket and half a can of artichoke hearts.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1182 on: August 27, 2019, 11:06:01 PM »

That looks amazing.  If you wouldn't mind sharing a recipe, I wouldn't mind receiving it!  I love meat, I love bread :)

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1183 on: August 27, 2019, 11:09:36 PM »
I'm at work, and so far it's a nice quiet night.

I sauteed some yellow squash (from a friend's garden), leftover steak from last night, and some yellow noodles (from the Asian market) with some spices for dinner.  Then I ate some carrots with homemade ranch dip.

Later, I'll either eat a breakfast type meal (eggs and an English muffin, I forgot the sausage or ham) or if I want "second dinner" instead, I'll cook up some cheese-stuffed-bacon-wrapped peppers I made the other day and froze.  Peppers were from the garden and I've found this is a great way to use a large quantity of them.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1184 on: August 28, 2019, 12:05:14 AM »
It's been a very long day and my brain hurts a bit (honestly, volunteer work was more exhausting than paid work today).

I think we're having breakfast for dinner: bacon, fried potatoes, scrambled eggs. I have a surplus of bell peppers, so I think one of those, some sliced onion, and the last of the mushrooms will go in the eggs. Or maybe I'll keep it really simple and just do BLTs to use up the big, bright red tomatoes from the produce market.

I don't understand why people eat bacon and fried potatoes for breakfast, but that's just me... :-)

Leftover meal:
We have a tiny bit of lettuce left and half a broccoli, some tomatoes, as well as more carrots. And a few potatoes. I'm planning to cook the broccoli, cool it and make a green salad with the tomatoes. I took chicken breasts out of the freezer. Maybe with fried potatoes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1185 on: August 28, 2019, 05:23:11 AM »

I don't understand why people eat bacon and fried potatoes for breakfast, but that's just me... :-)

It's one of those weird North American things. :-)

It's usually far too much fuss (for me) at breakfast, unless we have houseguests and/or a lazy weekend morning. A bowl of oatmeal, eggs and toast, or even dinner leftovers is much easier.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1186 on: August 28, 2019, 10:17:40 AM »
Having a pot roast, taters, carrots, onions, garlic, sherry, dehydrated onion soup in slow cooker. In another slow cooker fresh green beans, onions garlic and a little bacon fat. All are cooking now and will be yummy! I could have used Instant Pot but I like the slow cooker now and then. I like smelling the aroma's while cooking.

Yesterday, had home made spaghetti sauce on spaghetti. Tomatoes from my garden! So delicious!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1187 on: August 28, 2019, 10:35:07 AM »
Tonight we have tacos.  I'm trying to get enough variation of taco recipes that we can have one per week, because you can never have enough tacos! 

So far, we have lentil and cauliflower tacos (https://cookieandkate.com/roasted-cauliflower-and-lentil-tacos/, I believe I got this recipe from @DCKatie09's journal!), fish tacos (most expensive and labor intensive, but prob my favorite), sweet potato and kidney bean tacos (simple, variation on this https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13954/addictive-sweet-potato-burritos/) and black bean tacos - the simplest of all, and we are having them tonight.  Just an avocado, sour cream, jack cheese and then simmer a can of black beans with some cumin and salsa rioja.  Easy comfort food.

Other veg taco recipes I should know?  I love meat, but (other than fish/shellfish) basically never cook meat myself.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1188 on: August 28, 2019, 10:41:27 AM »
Burritos with home made guacamole, beans, home made salsa and various other things.  At a certain point, I just can't stomach any more pasta or pizza (whereas my husband could eat these things twice a day forever and be perfectly happy) and I have to make something non-Italian. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1189 on: August 28, 2019, 11:06:25 AM »
Tonight we have tacos.  I'm trying to get enough variation of taco recipes that we can have one per week, because you can never have enough tacos! 

So far, we have lentil and cauliflower tacos (https://cookieandkate.com/roasted-cauliflower-and-lentil-tacos/, I believe I got this recipe from @DCKatie09's journal!), fish tacos (most expensive and labor intensive, but prob my favorite), sweet potato and kidney bean tacos (simple, variation on this https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13954/addictive-sweet-potato-burritos/) and black bean tacos - the simplest of all, and we are having them tonight.  Just an avocado, sour cream, jack cheese and then simmer a can of black beans with some cumin and salsa rioja.  Easy comfort food.

Other veg taco recipes I should know?  I love meat, but (other than fish/shellfish) basically never cook meat myself.

I've been known to make tacos with scrambled egg, sliced avocado, and salsa.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1190 on: August 28, 2019, 11:15:08 AM »
I've got chicken taco meat in the crockpot right now, so I guess that'll be dinner for us tonite too.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1191 on: August 28, 2019, 11:34:22 AM »

That looks amazing.  If you wouldn't mind sharing a recipe, I wouldn't mind receiving it!  I love meat, I love bread :)

The mechanics are a little hard to explain so I've attached the images from the original recipe. I've made significant modifications because my kids won't eat spicy stuff and I wanted to use yeast dough.

Here is the original recipe, and my modifications are in brackets.

Makes 4 Meat Pies (I multiplied by 1.5 for 6 pies)

Dough:
200 grams All Purpose Flour (2.25 cups flour)
130 grams Water (I started with 0.5 cups water then adjusted while kneading)
1.5 grams Salt (1/2 tsp salt)
1.5 grams Baking Powder (I used 1/2 tsp yeast, kneaded and allowed to rise like regular yeast bread)

Meat Filling:
100 grams Ground Pork (I used 1/3 lbs ground deer that our friends shot)
1 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper (I just used a pinch, my kids won't eat it if it's spicy)
2.5 grams Salt (0.66 tsp salt, so slightly more than 1/2 tsp)
5 grams Sesame Oil (I used 1.5 tsp olive oil)
Ground ginger and garlic to taste

Some notes:
1. If you are not using yeast, allow the dough to rest for 20 minutes after you knead and divide it.
2. Err on the side of softer dough (that still pulls together, of course).
3. When you mix the filling, stir in one direction until the ground meat pulls together and is slightly sticky.
4. Don't use too much meat or it will fall out.
5. When you roll out the meat filled dough, start at one end and roll to the other end, instead of rolling from center to the edges, so that you don't squeeze the meat out.
6. The pictures don't show this but you should work on an oiled surface and brush oil on the rolled out dough before slicing it.
7. The second picture might be a little confusing. After you gather all the slices together, pull slightly to lengthen them, then twist and wring like a towel. Then you roll it like making a snail with play-doh, and tuck the end into the bottom center. Flatten them with your palm a bit so that they fry crispier and the meat in the middle will be cooked.
8. If you use yeast dough, allow the formed pies to rest and rise for a bit before frying them.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 11:38:42 AM by cloudsail »

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1192 on: August 28, 2019, 11:45:18 AM »
Fried rice with leftover rice, leftover veggies, and eggs. And leftover rotisserie chicken from the weekend that I froze.
I love making fried rice from leftovers. It's like a whole new meal that cost almost nothing.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1193 on: August 28, 2019, 04:07:35 PM »

The mechanics are a little hard to explain so I've attached the images from the original recipe. I've made significant modifications because my kids won't eat spicy stuff and I wanted to use yeast dough.

Here is the original recipe, and my modifications are in brackets.

Makes 4 Meat Pies (I multiplied by 1.5 for 6 pies)

Dough:
200 grams All Purpose Flour (2.25 cups flour)
130 grams Water (I started with 0.5 cups water then adjusted while kneading)
1.5 grams Salt (1/2 tsp salt)
1.5 grams Baking Powder (I used 1/2 tsp yeast, kneaded and allowed to rise like regular yeast bread)

Meat Filling:
100 grams Ground Pork (I used 1/3 lbs ground deer that our friends shot)
1 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper (I just used a pinch, my kids won't eat it if it's spicy)
2.5 grams Salt (0.66 tsp salt, so slightly more than 1/2 tsp)
5 grams Sesame Oil (I used 1.5 tsp olive oil)
Ground ginger and garlic to taste

Some notes:
1. If you are not using yeast, allow the dough to rest for 20 minutes after you knead and divide it.
2. Err on the side of softer dough (that still pulls together, of course).
3. When you mix the filling, stir in one direction until the ground meat pulls together and is slightly sticky.
4. Don't use too much meat or it will fall out.
5. When you roll out the meat filled dough, start at one end and roll to the other end, instead of rolling from center to the edges, so that you don't squeeze the meat out.
6. The pictures don't show this but you should work on an oiled surface and brush oil on the rolled out dough before slicing it.
7. The second picture might be a little confusing. After you gather all the slices together, pull slightly to lengthen them, then twist and wring like a towel. Then you roll it like making a snail with play-doh, and tuck the end into the bottom center. Flatten them with your palm a bit so that they fry crispier and the meat in the middle will be cooked.
8. If you use yeast dough, allow the formed pies to rest and rise for a bit before frying them.

This is great, thank you so much!  I'm not a fan of baking powder biscuits, so will definitely be using your yeast dough version. I have next week off, so I'll probably try it then.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1194 on: August 28, 2019, 05:33:25 PM »
Leftover lasagna, so we can eat quickly before back to school night.

lookingforadelorean

• Stubble
« Reply #1195 on: August 28, 2019, 05:51:41 PM »
Brioche french toast. With root beer floats for dessert. Ha! It's a much more sugary dinner than we typically have, but root beer and ice cream were on sale at the grocery store (we would still only spend $1/person if we drank all the root beer and ate all the ice cream), and it's HOT here (for the PNW) so we couldn't resist.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1196 on: August 28, 2019, 06:12:55 PM »
Mixed salad with soft fried eggs.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1197 on: August 28, 2019, 06:14:38 PM »
Zucchini potato pancakes - first time trying this recipe, and they taste good, but take a lot of effort to make for something relatively simple.  Not sure if I'll make it again.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1198 on: August 28, 2019, 07:01:30 PM »
Husband sauteed chicken breast with butter, garlic, provençal herb blend, and white wine. I cooked pasta and steamed broccoli as sides.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1199 on: August 28, 2019, 07:55:19 PM »
More on-my-own food: hummus, carrot sticks, some slices of cheddar, Triskets (store brand of course), the other half can of artichoke hearts from yesterday.