Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950049 times)

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1100 on: August 04, 2019, 03:45:55 PM »
We had a tasty sage pumpkin risotto with sweet potato, carrots, cauliflower, and peas (the peas were just to add a non-orange color). I'll have to try making it again and following one recipe this time, I lost the link to the first one I saw and kind of cobbled together something from other recipes I found later.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1101 on: August 04, 2019, 05:00:30 PM »
Chicken tinga (Instant pot) tacos on corn tortillas with a romaine/red cabbage/radish slaw and crumbled feta (lazy sub for cotija cheese).

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1102 on: August 04, 2019, 06:58:43 PM »
Last night we had smoked herring on black bread, with boiled eggs and nasturtium leaf.  My wife put it together for next to nothing, as the bread was a present and the herring were on special.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1103 on: August 05, 2019, 09:28:42 AM »
Probably onion-mushroom quiche and a side of shredded Brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon.

ETA: those were the best Brussels sprouts I've ever made. They were sauteed in the grease from a few bacon slices along with two big cloves of minced garlic, and deglazed with a generous splash of cider vinegar. Seasoned only with cracked black pepper and crumbled bacon. I would have eaten the whole pan, but I would have felt guilty if I didn't share them with my husband.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:34:03 PM by OtherJen »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1104 on: August 05, 2019, 01:55:28 PM »
Grilled skirt steak, probably roasted brussels spouts, sweet potatoes and ?? I dunno about the other thing. Roasted fingerlings? couscous salad, which contains a bunch of veggies and makes good leftovers?

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1105 on: August 06, 2019, 03:11:58 PM »
It's the evening of our wedding anniversary so I'm making steak with stuffed baked potatoes and sides of garden-grown sugar snap peas and Romano bush beans with homemade yellow cake with chocolate frosting and sprinkles for dessert. Just goes to show you that you can have a great celebration without having it cost you an arm and a leg. :-)

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1106 on: August 06, 2019, 04:56:09 PM »
My son made raisin rum ice cream this morning, so probably that.  I might make some steak and corn on the cob as well.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1107 on: August 06, 2019, 04:57:43 PM »
Rum raisin ice cream sounds delightful.

Husband is getting ready to make a Thai-inspired stirfry with rice noodles and tofu.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1108 on: August 06, 2019, 07:54:53 PM »
Burritos with raw Tortillaland tortillas cooked on my frying pan. So much better than the regular cooked ones. Not quite as good as homemade, but much easier.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1109 on: August 06, 2019, 09:30:26 PM »
Fried rice, with a tiny bit of ground pork, fried tofu, broccoli, and .. I dunno, leeks and stuff. OK, not great.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1110 on: August 07, 2019, 08:24:52 PM »
Grilled salmon burgers (frozen from Costco), roasted potatoes, and sauteed green beans with tomatoes.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1111 on: August 09, 2019, 09:52:45 AM »
Cold (or at least room-temperature) salad containing: mixed wild rice, shredded chicken, green beans, very ripe cantaloupe pieces in a lime-cumin dressing with garlic (and probably shallots, as we have one left to use.)

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #1112 on: August 09, 2019, 08:13:52 PM »
A cute girl said I need to eat more veggies so I played the role of a rabbit and made a salad.

Romaine lettuce, carrots, halved cherry tomatoes, and a little bit of balsamic vinaigrette.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1113 on: August 10, 2019, 04:46:02 PM »
Trying to decide between chicken green curry with garden veggies (eggplant, okra, tomato, onion), and salmon with beets and mizuna.  I think the curry is going to win since it's a relatively cool 74f this afternoon, so it will be a nice change-up to have something more stew-like.

lookingforadelorean

• Stubble
« Reply #1114 on: August 12, 2019, 11:27:30 AM »
DH cooked off a bunch of bacon this weekend, and I'm picking up a Costco chicken later today, so we're going to combine the two for chicken bacon ranch wraps. A glass of homemade lemonade and brownies for dessert.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1115 on: August 12, 2019, 07:21:25 PM »
Pumpkin soup my wife made on the weekend.  She used chicken carcases as the stock, and it is so good.  A little turkish bread heated up, and we are good.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1116 on: August 12, 2019, 07:27:00 PM »
The Frugal Girl's Thai Chicken Soup for at least the sixth time. I'm just waiting for the potatoes to get soft.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1117 on: August 12, 2019, 07:39:18 PM »
Budget Bytes’ Southwest Chicken Skillet. My husband and I dubbed it “Crack Dinner” (a spoof on Kraft Dinner). I had to put it away quickly because we kept going back for just a little more.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1118 on: August 13, 2019, 03:24:10 AM »
The Frugal Girl's Thai Chicken Soup for at least the sixth time. I'm just waiting for the potatoes to get soft.

Thanks for the idea. It looks good, so I'll try to make it as well some time soon.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1119 on: August 13, 2019, 01:41:28 PM »
Ottolenghi's zucchini and turkey burgers, with a spicy sour-cream sauce and leftover green beans. And perhaps fresh bread? (I should get on that, if so...)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1120 on: August 13, 2019, 03:53:59 PM »
Leftovers: beef kebabs, rice & a Persian yogurt sauce

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1121 on: August 13, 2019, 04:01:18 PM »

Thanks for the idea. It looks good, so I'll try to make it as well some time soon.
It's pretty forgiving, so you can mess around with it a bit and still have good results. For example, you can puree a can of yams and substitute it for one of the cans of coconut milk, which lowers the calorie count. I've added mushrooms with good results, too, which is right up your alley.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1122 on: August 13, 2019, 05:42:21 PM »
Homemade tomato-basil sauce from the freezer, added to sauteed Italian sausage and zucchini and served over pasta. I also chopped up lettuces and other veg for side salads. I love all the cheap, fresh veg in summer.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1123 on: August 13, 2019, 05:55:44 PM »
Johnsonville Brats and corn on the cob cooked on the grill... yum!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1124 on: August 13, 2019, 09:45:51 PM »
Pizza with pre-baked whole wheat crusts. We're having a heat wave here, so I put our large, convection/toaster out on the front porch to cook them. Success!

I found 16 oz. packages of coarse shredded Tillamook Farmstyle Thick Cut Mozzarella for 2.99, less 10%, at Grocery Outlet today on Senior Morning. I kept one out for dinner and froze the rest. In a few weeks, I'll wish I had bought more, but the freezer's pretty full with previous Senior Morning prizes.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1125 on: August 13, 2019, 10:26:53 PM »
Tonight was board game night, so I had some leftover BBQ pulled chicken with garden green beans and sugar snap peas and some leftover apple cinnamon bread for dessert. Next week at game night, we're going to have a potluck dinner altogether, so I think my ways are rubbing off on my friends a little more lately.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1126 on: August 14, 2019, 12:19:45 AM »
Yesterday I made reindeer meat with mashed potatoes and broccoli. DH made a quick sauce for the meat.

Tonight I might make that Thai soup. The shop didn't have fresh coriander, but DH reminded me of the fact the we have a bag of frozen coriander in the freezer. I will use that.

I have also bought ingredients for a veggie lasagna with spinach and herbal white cheese. And DH bought some veggie burgers as well, as I had complained that we had been eating a lot of meat/fish lately.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1127 on: August 14, 2019, 09:00:29 AM »
I'm going to swing by the farmer's market this afternoon and get a bunch of perfect, local tomatoes and some corn.

They'll go into panzanella -- I'll cube good bread, toss it with olive oil,and toast it in the oven so the edges are crispy. Then it'll get mixed with all kinds of tasty vegetables (tomatoes, a little celery, some cooked asparagus from yesterday, maybe cucumbers, corn, possibly green beans) and some fresh mozzarella balls in a basil vinaigrette.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1128 on: August 14, 2019, 09:49:11 AM »
I'm going to swing by the farmer's market this afternoon and get a bunch of perfect, local tomatoes and some corn.

They'll go into panzanella -- I'll cube good bread, toss it with olive oil,and toast it in the oven so the edges are crispy. Then it'll get mixed with all kinds of tasty vegetables (tomatoes, a little celery, some cooked asparagus from yesterday, maybe cucumbers, corn, possibly green beans) and some fresh mozzarella balls in a basil vinaigrette.

That sounds so fresh and delightful!

We're having grilled salmon, grilled corn on the cob, and sauteed zucchini and tomatoes.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1129 on: August 15, 2019, 03:15:45 PM »
I'm in a bit of a rut, as it's over 100 degrees here. Ick. I'm thinking. . . a festival of leftovers. My husband will eat the lonely leftover kebab with coleslaw. The kids will have quesadillas with meatballs (random, but they'll like it). I'll have a salad topped with leftover chicken from last night's dinner.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1130 on: August 16, 2019, 04:13:35 AM »
Last night I made Italian breaded Parmesan boneless pork-chops. They were delicious and the kids loved them. Not to mention easy to make so I like that!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1131 on: August 16, 2019, 05:31:51 AM »
Last night I made a zucchini lasagna (sliced a gigantic zuke lengthwise to make 'noodles') with ground turkey and red sauce, and a loaf of fresh Italian bread to sop up the juices.

Tonight is pizza night - last one with the half-whole-wheat dough that didn't turn out great, then it's time to make a new batch.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1132 on: August 17, 2019, 10:04:18 AM »
I'm canning chicken broth today, so my husband and son have requested chicken noodle soup for dinner.  Works for me. Less batches of broth that have to be run through the canner.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1133 on: August 17, 2019, 12:41:31 PM »
No pork - pulled pork veggieburgers. That's what it said on the pack that DH bought.
Potatoes sliced and baked in frying pan.
Carrots sliced in 4 lengst, smeared in with chili pepper, cummin, honey, butter and curry paste and baked in the oven. Recipe from cookbook Simple. Tasted very good. Nice to find a good new way to serve a cheap veggie like carrots.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1134 on: August 18, 2019, 01:27:08 PM »
Going to be chili (hey, it was cloudy and cool this morning, although the sun has come out since then...). Fresh corn, probably cornbread, and likely we'll have cabbage and carrot slaw with it (vinaigrette only, I dislike mayo)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1135 on: August 18, 2019, 01:46:46 PM »
If it doesn't rain again, grilled chicken with onions and bell peppers and a side of rice.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1136 on: August 18, 2019, 04:35:23 PM »
I'm about to toss a chicken in the smoker.  We'll be having a later dinner tonight.  Stopped by a local farmstand and got some beautiful broccolini, so I'll probably simply saute that with some garlic, and steam some homegrown carrots with butter and lemon.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1137 on: August 18, 2019, 10:41:20 PM »
Wraps for dinner tonight.

Pitta (flat) bread wrapped around left over roast beef from last week, salad mix, capsicum, cheese and greek yoghurt.  I fry up the meat with garlic, and put the pitta breads over the pan to soften and warm them, then add the fillings.  Wrap them up and you have a fantastic tasting meal.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1138 on: August 19, 2019, 11:24:29 AM »
Black bean and salmon tostadas, with slaw and pickled jalapinos.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1139 on: August 19, 2019, 07:47:07 PM »
Grilled salmon burgers (patties purchased at Costco), corn on the cob, and sliced cucumber. August is seriously the best produce month around here. The local produce is cheap and so fresh that it barely needs seasoning.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1140 on: August 19, 2019, 08:43:03 PM »
Keto friendly lasagna. It actually closely approximates the real thing

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1141 on: August 19, 2019, 09:53:22 PM »

Funny, I had a little keto experiment tonight too.  I got a tiny waffle maker and made my first chaffle with cheddar, egg, jalapeno, green onion and cilantro.  It was surprisingly good!  Also had a big salad with some bleu cheese.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1142 on: August 20, 2019, 12:42:38 AM »
I hosted a meeting that didn't end until 6:45. Dinner was pasta* with dried tomato pesto that's a new and delicious item at Costco. Sausages from the freezer (Costco) and grilled asparagus. Yum.

*Found this neat, hollow spaghetti-like stuff at Grocery Outlet. I break it into random lengths, then pour boiling water ever it, and cook until al dente. Meanwhile, I defrost, then heat the sausages in the micro, while grilling the asparagus on the stove. Drain the pasta, stir in the pesto, grate a little lot of fresh parmesan on top, squeeze a little just-off-a-friend's-tree lemon on the asparagus and boom, dinner's done. I made individual lemon pudding cakes this afternoon for the meeting, with enough left over for my peeps. Of course, that means I got two. Hee.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1143 on: August 20, 2019, 03:03:56 AM »
Aldi pizza.  Cheap and tasty.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1144 on: August 20, 2019, 06:16:22 AM »

Funny, I had a little keto experiment tonight too.  I got a tiny waffle maker and made my first chaffle with cheddar, egg, jalapeno, green onion and cilantro.  It was surprisingly good!  Also had a big salad with some bleu cheese.

I have found that, while I like chaffles, adding some riced cauliflower really helps the texture out.  I have a recipe for cauliflower/cheddar/jalapeno muffins that I've been wanting to try in the waffle iron.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1145 on: August 20, 2019, 11:03:46 AM »
I hosted a meeting that didn't end until 6:45. Dinner was pasta* with dried tomato pesto that's a new and delicious item at Costco. Sausages from the freezer (Costco) and grilled asparagus. Yum.

*Found this neat, hollow spaghetti-like stuff at Grocery Outlet. I break it into random lengths, then pour boiling water ever it, and cook until al dente. Meanwhile, I defrost, then heat the sausages in the micro, while grilling the asparagus on the stove. Drain the pasta, stir in the pesto, grate a little lot of fresh parmesan on top, squeeze a little just-off-a-friend's-tree lemon on the asparagus and boom, dinner's done. I made individual lemon pudding cakes this afternoon for the meeting, with enough left over for my peeps. Of course, that means I got two. Hee.

Bucatini? Geez, Dicey, I've been looking for that around here for MONTHS, and you find it at the Outlet? aargh! (OK, if that's my biggest problem today, it's a pretty awesome day...)

We're probably having homemade tagliatelli: the oldest kid made pasta dough before he skipped town (to go to college, it doesn't need to sound nefarious) and it's been sitting in the fridge long enough to probably turn into concrete. If I can roll it out, we'll have it with some kind of tomato-based sauce, and green beans. Possibly something in there that contains protein: I should go search the freezer and see what we have.

I made a double batch of Smitten Kitchen's pistachio apricot bars yesterday, or else we'd be having lemon pudding cake, too. Maybe we can just all troop over to Dicey's?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1146 on: August 20, 2019, 05:55:08 PM »
Winner, winner, pasta dinner! Yes, it's Bucatini #12. I have two equidistant Grocery Outlets, and only one of them has it. Alas, it is the one that only has Senior Day every other week, so I didn't go there today, boo.

I got another batch of killer lemons, so if y'all give me an hour, I can make enough for everyone. Oh, wait! I only have 20 ramekins. Okay, we can do this if you sort yourselves into orderly groups...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1147 on: August 20, 2019, 09:52:37 PM »

I have found that, while I like chaffles, adding some riced cauliflower really helps the texture out.  I have a recipe for cauliflower/cheddar/jalapeno muffins that I've been wanting to try in the waffle iron.

Hmm, if I get a bigger waffle maker I will try that.  I just bought the mini Dash one, so one egg and like an ounce of cheese is all it will hold.  They are the perfect size for sandwich "bread" though.  I'm thinking of making them to use as buns for BLT's later this week since the best tomatoes are starting to come in.

Tonight was boring - big green salad with leftover chicken.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to do Tuscan butter mushrooms over spiralized zucchini, and we'll finish off the chicken.  I'm kind of obsessed with this mushroom recipe right now; it is lick the bowl good.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #1148 on: August 21, 2019, 08:57:11 AM »
Winner, winner, pasta dinner! Yes, it's Bucatini #12. I have two equidistant Grocery Outlets, and only one of them has it. Alas, it is the one that only has Senior Day every other week, so I didn't go there today, boo.

I got another batch of killer lemons, so if y'all give me an hour, I can make enough for everyone. Oh, wait! I only have 20 ramekins. Okay, we can do this if you sort yourselves into orderly groups...
Not a problem.  I'll bring my own ramekin and 20 extra for the interlopers.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1149 on: August 21, 2019, 09:18:01 AM »
@horsepoor - that mushroom recipe is on my list to try. It looks delicious!

For tonight, we're having zoodles & meatballs for the adults, & spaghetti & meatballs for the carb eating kiddos.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!