Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950094 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1000 on: June 06, 2019, 03:35:51 AM »
Last night made chicken quarters on the grill and some home made mac n cheese with frozen California blend veggies.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1001 on: June 06, 2019, 10:18:01 AM »
Last night I made a side dish cauliflower/turnip mash. Very easy. Broke up a head of CF and put it in a casserole. In a separate casserole I put the cut up 2 turnips. Microwaved each till tender with water. Drained off the water and put into food processor. Added about 4 tablespoons of cream cheese and some butter. Processed it and added salt and pepper. Herbs could have been added. It was awesome! Very close to mashed taters in texture. Flavor was very nice!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1002 on: June 06, 2019, 10:21:40 AM »
Tacos!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1003 on: June 07, 2019, 01:35:10 AM »
DH will eat at work, yearly summer party.
I will eat leftover salad with lettuce from yesterday and will improvise something beside it. Maybe cheese pancakes. That would make my second veggy day this week.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1004 on: June 07, 2019, 07:29:03 PM »
Husband fired up the wok to make cashew chicken stir fry, which we ate with rice.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1005 on: June 07, 2019, 10:33:18 PM »
Yesterday I made a salad from the garden, and a sausage and olive pizza on keto cauliflower crust.

Tonight, tom ka gai soup with chicken leftover from earlier in the week.

Tomorrow will be stirfried asparagus and garlic scapes.  Maybe with ginger-miso salmon and shiritake noodles.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1006 on: June 08, 2019, 06:48:28 PM »
Budget Bytes' Creamy Chicken Fajita Pasta. I added a can of black beans (drained) with the tomatoes and a handful of fresh cilantro with the green onions. It was easy, tasty, and a good way to use up the half-pound of pasta in the pantry and some of the cream cheese that I must have bought for a recipe but can't remember now.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1007 on: June 08, 2019, 08:31:43 PM »
It was warm here, so we had friends over to swim. After they left, we grilled hot dogs & had that with salad & watermelon.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1008 on: June 09, 2019, 01:49:43 AM »
Deer steak with carrots and cellery.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #1009 on: June 09, 2019, 12:50:08 PM »
I have the crock pot simmering: half a point cut corned beef brisket, onions, baby red potatoes, roma tomatoes, lemon pepper, garlic, 2.5 glasses of merlot.  Serve over rice.

Smells good already.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1010 on: June 09, 2019, 01:55:35 PM »
Black beans and rice, I think. I should probably give the beans a boiling water soak.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1011 on: June 09, 2019, 02:56:50 PM »
Burgers & watermelon. It's going to be hot here!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1012 on: June 09, 2019, 07:00:49 PM »
Salmon on the grill with mustard, dill and tarragon.  On the side, steamed baby beets and sauteed mizuna, both straight from the garden.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1013 on: June 10, 2019, 08:59:16 AM »
Crockpot carnitas

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1014 on: June 11, 2019, 03:52:32 AM »
Last night made Pork Chops on the grill and they were delicious

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1015 on: June 11, 2019, 07:32:18 AM »
It's hot here and we have no plans to turn on the A/C this early in the summer. I have several batches of prepared taco meat in the freezer, so it's Taco Week. Tacos, burritos,  taco salad, etc. until the heat breaks. At least it's easy to decide what to make for dinner.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1016 on: June 11, 2019, 05:58:04 PM »
@Dicey - it is definitely hot here! Way too hot for my comfort zone.

We're having leftover food from various grilling sessions. Salads + hot dogs & one lucky diner will eat the last steak.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1017 on: June 11, 2019, 09:09:11 PM »
Left the teens with grandparents, so there are just two of us! We had dreadful "fish and chips" (not really) in the airport yesterday, so we did it right tonight:
Salmon Cakes, fried potato slices, hard boiled eggs (slightly too hard-boiled, dang it), tomato salad, green salad, pickled red onions, raita, watermelon cubes. And white wine.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1018 on: June 12, 2019, 05:14:22 AM »
Beef rendang we cooked on the weekend and froze some of it.  Reheat with some freshly cooked rice and a few pappadums in the microwave. Fast and yum.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1019 on: June 12, 2019, 07:30:02 AM »
Leftover grilled burgers + salad. And, watermelon. Need to try & clear the fridge before we head out on Friday.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1020 on: June 12, 2019, 11:54:42 AM »
Right now, grilled salmon sounds good. Probably with sautéed vegetables: onion, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and spiralized zucchini. Husband will probably supplement with leftover rice.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1021 on: June 12, 2019, 12:38:41 PM »
Still only cooking for two, so tofu and broccoli stir-fry over rice. I may play around with panko and see if I can get the tofu crunchier then usual.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1022 on: June 12, 2019, 06:06:14 PM »
Burned chicken breasts and mini peppers (the burning was not planned).  At least they were edible.

Way to go getting rid of the teens, @jeninco!  If only I could ship mine out for a week or two, it would do me a world of good.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1023 on: June 12, 2019, 07:17:04 PM »
Heat wave still on, A/C still not working. Dinner was taco salads again. Hope this heat wave breaks soon, because I only have 2 meals worth of pre-cooked taco meat left.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1024 on: June 12, 2019, 08:25:28 PM »
Burned chicken breasts and mini peppers (the burning was not planned).  At least they were edible.

Way to go getting rid of the teens, @jeninco!  If only I could ship mine out for a week or two, it would do me a world of good.

My mother-in-law just sent me a text (to my email address, ??) that said, in part, "are you wandering about without pants on?" (Answer: ..... maybe .....) Honestly, this is about the first time we've both been home alone together -- usually one or the other of us travels with them, or we just send one someplace.

Back on topic, slightly, I'm currently making rice pudding with the leftover rice. Cooking for two without leftovers is something I'm out of practice at!

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1025 on: June 12, 2019, 09:40:54 PM »
I tried something today that was relatively easy, required only one pot, and was great on a hot day.

Earlier in the afternoon I put some some riblets and ginger, garlic into my cast iron pot to simmer and make broth.

An hour or so later, I fished out everything, threw away the ginger and garlic. I put thin spaghetti noodles into the broth to cook, along with some salt. I mixed up a sauce of peanut butter, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and some minced ginger and garlic in a large bowl. When the noodles were done I fished them out and rinsed in cold water before putting them in the bowl. I blanched some sliced napa cabbage in the broth and threw in bowl with noodles, then mixed with sauce and put in fridge. I threw some broccoli and carrots in the broth to blanch, and drizzled some soy sauce, green onions, and balsamic glaze on the riblets.

So for dinner we had:
Peanut sauce cold noodles with napa cabbage
Riblets
Broccoli and carrots

All from one pot.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:47:40 PM by cloudsail »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1026 on: June 13, 2019, 01:50:36 AM »
We will eat in the car. Probably some nice buns, bought in a grocery store along the road.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1027 on: June 13, 2019, 04:35:51 PM »
We're leaving for a road trip tomorrow, so it's leftovers for everyone: one meal of salmon, one meal of homemade pizza, two meals of carnitas. Salad for all.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1028 on: June 13, 2019, 05:56:24 PM »
Masaman curry chicken and veggies in the crockpot. It's this recipe, but I have gradually added in shortcut after shortcut to make it even easier (one at a time so if something reduces the quality, I know what): https://showmetheyummy.com/crockpot-thai-chicken-curry/

Shortcuts to date: canned chicken (two small cans, include the liquid and sub for both the chicken and the broth), drinking coconut milk from Aldi instead of canned (sub for both the coconut milk and the sugar - this is more for price than easiness), frozen fajita mix peppers and onions (just throw in the pot with everything else), instant brown rice (throw in 1-2 cups ~20 minutes before serving to avoid having to cook rice and to soak up the excess liquid while flavoring the rice). Oh, and substitution of masaman for red curry paste because my reflux can't handle the red. Since the chicken's already cooked, this also reduces the cooking time to ~2 hours in a crock pot, basically just long enough to get everything hot and then cook the instant rice.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1029 on: June 13, 2019, 06:46:08 PM »
Last dinner for two: grilled pork chops (I wrapped them in sage leaves for a while before cooking, because out sage plant is out of control and needs to be cut back, as well as for yummyness), roasted brussels sprouts, baked sweet potatoes, sauerkraut. We grilled some asparagus at the same time as the pork, which will go into panzanella (roasted whole grain sourdough cubes, asparagus, tomatoes, mozzarella balls, a little chopped celery, maybe roasted peppers, probably a green goddess dressing, because I need to cut back the parsley, too) for lunch tomorrow.

Tomorrow night: leftovers, as I'll be eating all alone!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1030 on: June 14, 2019, 05:31:25 PM »
Mark Bittman's Pad Thai, the easy version. I decided to try soaking the rice noodles in cold water for an hour instead of boiling them. I want a firmer noodle, so we'll see what happens. I am too frugal lazy to go to the store for just bean sprouts, so I'm just not going to use them. Sue me. My family will notice, but if the noodles are smooth and firm, they won't care. Wish me luck.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1031 on: June 15, 2019, 07:19:40 AM »
Mark Bittman's Pad Thai, the easy version. I decided to try soaking the rice noodles in cold water for an hour instead of boiling them. I want a firmer noodle, so we'll see what happens. I am too frugal lazy to go to the store for just bean sprouts, so I'm just not going to use them. Sue me. My family will notice, but if the noodles are smooth and firm, they won't care. Wish me luck.

Good luck! And please report back -- I'd like to make that one this summer.

Bean sprouts go bad too quickly for me -- I almost always substitute something like shredded carrots (to get in more veg.) and/or sautéed snap peas.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1032 on: June 15, 2019, 05:54:50 PM »
Chicken noodle soup, made with stock and meat from a grocery rotisserie chicken. The weather is cool and rainy and husband is a bit under the weather, so this seemed reasonable.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1033 on: June 15, 2019, 06:16:04 PM »
Kids are coming back, although their flight has been delayed. At the request of the one who was staying with my sister-in-law (who apparently eats air, so the teen is probably pretty hungry), we're having a steak salad: grilled sirloin, grilled asparagus and green onions, boiled, then sliced and dressed potatoes. Green goddess dressing, which'll include pesto (because we have some that needs using up). Probably capers and sliced cornichon pickles, because I like pickled things in these kinds of salads, and because we have 1/3 - 1/5 full bottles of both in the fridge.

Because they're now arriving at 8:30, I'll probably back some of the stuff up into travel containers so they can eat something in the car.

(I should also mention that we buy 1/2 steer every fall, so although "sirloin" sounds fancy, viewed another way it's just one more piece of beef off the steer.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1034 on: June 15, 2019, 09:38:59 PM »
Rubbed a chicken with a coffee-habanero rub and smoked it over cherrywood all afternoon.  Ate it dipped in a chimichurri sauce that was leftover in the fridge, and we had pickleback jicama slaw on the side.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1035 on: June 20, 2019, 06:59:37 PM »
Budget Bytes' Cilantro Lime Chicken with white rice and sauteed vegetables flavored with Penzey's Southwest seasoning.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1036 on: June 20, 2019, 08:55:08 PM »
Mark Bittman's Cassoulet with many vegetables. Ciabatta, warmed in the oven, with butter.
(Picked my husband up at the airport, and this was something tasty that could be waiting for us: I turned it back on, added some shredded cabbage, let it get all hot, and we were good to go.)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1037 on: June 22, 2019, 09:10:35 AM »
before I went to bed the night before I had the slow cooker filled with ingredients to make potato leek soup. It cooked all night long and in the morning I blended it all up. So good!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1038 on: June 26, 2019, 06:58:56 AM »
Michigan finally decided that the solstice was a good time to start summer weather, so we’re in a multi-day stretch of hot, humid weather. Husband hasn’t installed the window AC units yet, so I’m trying to use the stove as little as possible.

Last night’s dinner was grilled curried chicken thighs, my insta-pot version of mujadara (Middle Eastern lentil/rice dish), and sliced raw veggies.

Tonight, I think we’re having bacon cooked in the microwave, potato cubes roasted in the air fryer, and scrambled eggs (since those only need the stove for a few minutes). Probably some spinach and mushrooms with the eggs, and sliced tomatoes on the side.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1039 on: June 30, 2019, 04:56:59 AM »
Last weeks meals:

Chicken pot pie
Ravioli with roasted vegetables
Jambalaya
Tandoori chicken, curried carrots, rice side
egg sausage biscuits
omeletts
pork fried rice

Now to look through this thread for inspiration for this upcoming week.
Chicken noodle soup
Egg roll in a bowl
Not butter chicken
Kitchen sink pasta at the end of the week to use up whatever needs using up
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 05:12:22 AM by meerkat »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1040 on: June 30, 2019, 07:27:26 AM »
The weather yesterday was about 90°F and 70% humidity for the third day in a row. It’s definitely cold food and outdoor/non-stove cooking season.

Thursday’s dinner: shrimp fried rice with veggies, cooked outside in the wok

Friday’s dinner: brisket cooked in the electric smoker and Christmas lima bean salad with veggies, feta cheese, and homemade red wine vinaigrette

Yesterday’s dinner: grilled salmon burgers from Costco, spiralized potatoes roasted in the air fryer, and cut raw veggies with ranch dressing

I have a lot of zucchini and a few onions and peppers to use up, so tonight’s dinner might be kabobs on the grill.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1041 on: June 30, 2019, 08:08:39 AM »
The weather yesterday was about 90°F and 70% humidity for the third day in a row. It’s definitely cold food and outdoor/non-stove cooking season.

Friday’s dinner: brisket cooked in the electric smoker and Christmas lima bean salad with veggies, feta cheese, and homemade red wine vinaigrette

Yesterday’s dinner: grilled salmon burgers from Costco, spiralized potatoes roasted in the air fryer, and cut raw veggies with ranch dressing

I have a lot of zucchini and a few onions and peppers to use up, so tonight’s dinner might be kabobs on the grill.

Other Jen, your grub sounds good! I have bought those salmon burgers several times and they are GOOD! I bought them the last time they were on sale for $89.99. Waiting till they go on sale again and I will stock up. Right now I think they are $99.

Can you tell me more about your spiralized potatoes in the air fryer? Never spiralized taters. Do you coat them with olive oil or spices?

I also have some squash, to cook up. Maybe I will cut them up and add some tomatoes and onions to a skillet. Sprinkle parm cheese to serve.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1042 on: June 30, 2019, 08:20:31 AM »

Other Jen, your grub sounds good! I have bought those salmon burgers several times and they are GOOD! I bought them the last time they were on sale for $89.99. Waiting till they go on sale again and I will stock up. Right now I think they are $99.

Can you tell me more about your spiralized potatoes in the air fryer? Never spiralized taters. Do you coat them with olive oil or spices?

I also have some squash, to cook up. Maybe I will cut them up and add some tomatoes and onions to a skillet. Sprinkle parm cheese to serve.

I think I bought the salmon burgers on your previous recommendation! They were good, and easy. I only bought one 12-pack at the warehouse, and that was $16.99.

I coated last night’s potato spirals with a bit of oil, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. I usually add smoked paprika to potatoes and think that would have been an improvement. I was hoping for something like curly fries, but the potato curls were a bit too thin so they tended to clump. They were tasty, though.

Sautéed zucchini with tomatoes is one of our favorite summer sides. I like to add a bit of Greek herb blend with feta or basil with Parmesan.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1043 on: June 30, 2019, 08:23:15 AM »
Other Jen, Just looked at Costco and the salmon cheddar burgers are on sale for $84.99! $15 off! I am going to order them to stock up my freezer! https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?dept=All&keyword=salmon+burgers

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1044 on: June 30, 2019, 05:53:12 PM »
Michigan finally decided that the solstice was a good time to start summer weather, so we’re in a multi-day stretch of hot, humid weather. Husband hasn’t installed the window AC units yet, so I’m trying to use the stove as little as possible.

Last night’s dinner was grilled curried chicken thighs, my insta-pot version of mujadara (Middle Eastern lentil/rice dish), and sliced raw veggies.

Tonight, I think we’re having bacon cooked in the microwave, potato cubes roasted in the air fryer, and scrambled eggs (since those only need the stove for a few minutes). Probably some spinach and mushrooms with the eggs, and sliced tomatoes on the side.

Microwave probably heats the house less, but I've been able to cook bacon in the Instant Pot on "saute" a few times with success.  I toss in more than I would do on a skillet (and just stir it to get all sides), but less than I would in the oven.  Just a thought since you mentioned having one.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1045 on: June 30, 2019, 05:55:43 PM »
I have to work tonight, so I just pulled some sliced roast beef out of the freezer, along with some Chinese noodles (I buy a huge package at a restaurant supply store and freeze in individual portions).  A bit of Better than Bullion to add a little flavor, don't think I'll take any kind of sauce tonight.

I'll probably bake up a couple potatoes at the same time so I can use them for fried potatoes in the mornings for the rest of my shifts.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1046 on: June 30, 2019, 07:28:01 PM »
Made roast pork in the instant pot and it was awesome! And sooooo easy and quick, will definitely become a staple.

Also made no knead bread in my dutch oven on the recommendations of this forum, and my kids and DH ate almost an entire loaf in about 15 minutes, with some butter and nothing else. I managed to snag a small slice for myself and it tastes just like what you get in fancy restaurants.

I also made pesto with carrot greens and it was heavenly with the bread.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1047 on: June 30, 2019, 11:38:09 PM »
Too tired to eat when we finally got home from the flip house. DH and I each had two squares of chocolate and a glass of milk.
That's a first for us. Hmmm, could happen again. The chocolate was free. Bonus kid brought it home after an event where he works.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1048 on: July 01, 2019, 02:54:36 AM »
Last night I was kinda bushed so threw a Bone in turkey Breast in the oven, some baked potatoes and green beans. Always a winner in the family and easy enough to make. Looking to do something easy tonight perhaps a pork roast in the slow cooker since I havent advanced to a instapot yet.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1049 on: July 01, 2019, 07:49:16 AM »
Last night was chicken noodle soup made from the carcass and leftovers of the chicken I cooked last week.  Tonight will be saag with rice.