Author Topic: Visited Every US National Park; Ranked Them Best To Worst  (Read 8490 times)

steevven1

• Stubble
Re: Visited Every US National Park; Ranked Them Best To Worst
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2020, 10:49:46 AM »
Thank you for sharing! I've randomly stumbled across your blog through other avenues and really like it!

Thank you for saying so. It means a lot.

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2020, 11:07:06 AM »
I think Yosemite is overrated. It’s too crowded. I would bump that down several notches.

I think Sequoia and King’s Canyon is better if you want to see the Sierra Nevadas.  Sequoia can get crowded too depending on when you visit, but I’ve had better experiences there. I love those trees. Pictures don’t do them justice.

I will go back to Yosemite to visit the Mariposa grove. It was still closed because of the boardwalk construction they were doing when I visited back in 2017.

Are the "crowded" national parks really that crowded once you get away from the roads?  The Smokies are far and away the most visited national park in the US, but if you get just a few miles down one of the lesser known trails you barely see anybody else.  Even the national park section of the Appalachian trail doesn't seem particularly crowded.  Is that not the case in the other famous parks?  I haven't really had the chance to get off the beaten path in any of the famous national parks out west.

Generally I always say that the best way to get away from crowds anywhere is to do anything that requires exercise....It works pretty well. But when we took a 4-5 mile round trip hike to a waterfall in the Smokies, there were dozens of people at the endpoint, including a bunch of screaming kids. Not ideal.

Remember which waterfall? The key, especially in the Smokies, is to get on a lesser known trail. A 4-5mi round trip waterfall hike would have been Laurel Falls or Abrams Falls most likely? Those are pretty popular trails. There are certainly a few trails to avoid if solitude is the goal.

I would guess Groto or Rainbow Falls. We did a little bit longer hike to Rainbow Falls but it was unbelievably crowded. The hike itself was fun as we passed by some bears. Best hike I did in the Smokies was Alum Cave all the way up to LeConte. I started early in the morning so hardly anyone was on the trail. I made it to inspiration point as the sun was coming up over the mountains. It was breathtaking. I intend on hiking LeConte again at some point.

Mt LeConte is an amazing place in so many ways! I've been up Alum probably 10x and all of the other trails to the summit at least once. Stayed in the lodge 3x. If you can only do one hike in the Smokies, going up LeConte is probably it. Next time you go, try Bullhead. After the fires a few years ago that trail is other-worldly and offers views practically the whole way.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2020, 11:12:08 AM »
If you can only do one hike in the Smokies, going up LeConte is probably it.

Concur.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2020, 11:40:03 AM »
I think Yosemite is overrated. It’s too crowded. I would bump that down several notches.

I think Sequoia and King’s Canyon is better if you want to see the Sierra Nevadas.  Sequoia can get crowded too depending on when you visit, but I’ve had better experiences there. I love those trees. Pictures don’t do them justice.

I will go back to Yosemite to visit the Mariposa grove. It was still closed because of the boardwalk construction they were doing when I visited back in 2017.

Are the "crowded" national parks really that crowded once you get away from the roads?  The Smokies are far and away the most visited national park in the US, but if you get just a few miles down one of the lesser known trails you barely see anybody else.  Even the national park section of the Appalachian trail doesn't seem particularly crowded.  Is that not the case in the other famous parks?  I haven't really had the chance to get off the beaten path in any of the famous national parks out west.

Generally I always say that the best way to get away from crowds anywhere is to do anything that requires exercise....It works pretty well. But when we took a 4-5 mile round trip hike to a waterfall in the Smokies, there were dozens of people at the endpoint, including a bunch of screaming kids. Not ideal.

Remember which waterfall? The key, especially in the Smokies, is to get on a lesser known trail. A 4-5mi round trip waterfall hike would have been Laurel Falls or Abrams Falls most likely? Those are pretty popular trails. There are certainly a few trails to avoid if solitude is the goal.

I would guess Groto or Rainbow Falls. We did a little bit longer hike to Rainbow Falls but it was unbelievably crowded. The hike itself was fun as we passed by some bears. Best hike I did in the Smokies was Alum Cave all the way up to LeConte. I started early in the morning so hardly anyone was on the trail. I made it to inspiration point as the sun was coming up over the mountains. It was breathtaking. I intend on hiking LeConte again at some point.

Mt LeConte is an amazing place in so many ways! I've been up Alum probably 10x and all of the other trails to the summit at least once. Stayed in the lodge 3x. If you can only do one hike in the Smokies, going up LeConte is probably it. Next time you go, try Bullhead. After the fires a few years ago that trail is other-worldly and offers views practically the whole way.

I am hoping to go back down in the spring or summer this year to hike LeConte again. Trying to convince my brothers to go so I don't have to go it alone again, ha! Will definitely consider Bullhead Trail. Thanks for the recommendation. That's what I loved about Alum Trail. Once you get past the Bluffs there are tons of views along the way. 

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2020, 11:52:15 AM »
I would highly recommend a couple places that aren't National Parks. Red River Gorge in Kentucky is a great place to hike and climb, if you love climbing. I've been there a half dozen times or so and love hiking there. Also I took my daughter on a long weekend trip to the Monongahela National Forest in WV. It was amazingly beautiful. Seneca Rocks, Spruce Knob, and the one place I didn't get a chance to visit but will someday, Dolly Sods.

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2020, 01:31:00 PM »
Absolutely. The Big South Fork is national River and recreation area about 2 hours north of the Smokies. It has absolutely phenomenal scenery and only about 800k annual visitors.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2020, 01:49:30 PM »
I highly recommend hitting up the Canadian National parks next. Banff is incredible

steevven1

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2020, 01:53:18 PM »
I highly recommend hitting up the Canadian National parks next. Banff is incredible

We have been toying with the idea of doing those all in one shot like we did the US ones. They look amazing, and we have never even been to one of them.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2020, 01:58:09 PM »
Absolutely. The Big South Fork is national River and recreation area about 2 hours north of the Smokies. It has absolutely phenomenal scenery and only about 800k annual visitors.

Funny you mention Big South Fork. We were originally going to head there but ended up going to WV instead. I may visit Big South Fork this year at some point.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2020, 02:06:07 PM »
Hopefully I don't get excommunicated for some of my choices, but here's our list (with photos!) for fellow Mustachian National Park lovers:
https://www.tripofalifestyle.com/destinations/list-of-national-parks-in-the-us/

If you want me to save you a click...
#1 = Death Valley National Park
#62 (last place) = Hot Springs National Park

Let the debate begin :-p

Right now I'm looking out of my bedroom window at the mountains near the southeast border of  YNP ,  your #2  pick.

I'm glad you enjoyed YNP that much.

steevven1

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2020, 04:25:26 PM »
Hopefully I don't get excommunicated for some of my choices, but here's our list (with photos!) for fellow Mustachian National Park lovers:
https://www.tripofalifestyle.com/destinations/list-of-national-parks-in-the-us/

If you want me to save you a click...
#1 = Death Valley National Park
#62 (last place) = Hot Springs National Park

Let the debate begin :-p

Right now I'm looking out of my bedroom window at the mountains near the southeast border of  YNP ,  your #2  pick.

I'm glad you enjoyed YNP that much.

Sounds like you've got some prime real estate!

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2020, 04:42:13 PM »
We did Joshua Tree a few years ago and liked it.  One of the things we did was an off road self-guided geology tour, where you basically follow a dirth path in the desert and look for markers.  We also stayed at an awesome vacation rental in the area that was super cool. 

Congrats on your many adventures and I look forward to reading your whole blog!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2020, 08:30:58 PM »
Posting to follow...we just bought a new-to-us RV. We deliberately chose a rig that's short enough to have access to the NP's. We also want to do as many state parks as is feasible, so feel free to name your favorites.

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2020, 08:48:50 PM »

Funny you mention Big South Fork. We were originally going to head there but ended up going to WV instead. I may visit Big South Fork this year at some point.

I'm from Oneida originally which is right at the eastern entrance to the BSF. Have a lot of fun memories there over the years. If you decide to visit, let me know and I can give you all the local intel.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2020, 07:22:20 AM »
This should be on Share Your Badassity, and now I'm thinking about taking my teenagers to Badlands or Great Smoky Mountain for spring break.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2020, 08:31:20 AM »

I'm from Oneida originally which is right at the eastern entrance to the BSF. Have a lot of fun memories there over the years. If you decide to visit, let me know and I can give you all the local intel.

Sweet will do. Not sure I can make a day trip out of. I'm about 3.5 hours from BSF so would have to make plans to overnight it somewhere. I assume you've been to Cumberland Falls? Went there a couple times back in 2018 and really enjoyed hiking there as well.

steevven1

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2020, 11:26:02 AM »
This should be on Share Your Badassity, and now I'm thinking about taking my teenagers to Badlands or Great Smoky Mountain for spring break.
Here you go: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/hit-all-61-national-parks-in-7-months-financial-report!/

Yep. Felt like the financial aspect was more "on-topic," haha. This list was just for fun, since this isn't really a travel forum.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2020, 05:56:31 AM »
Bryce is my favorite from my childhood. We are going back this summer so I'm curious how it stacks up.

As an adult my favorite is Yellowstone/grand Tetons (although we've only been to maybe 10 as adults). My husband's is Yosemite.

We lived near Cuyahoga for a while and have done some fun trips there, but it doesn't at all feel like a national park.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2020, 10:27:55 AM »

Or do it early in the morning. The tourist waves really start hitting around 10am for most of these things. If you can get 4-5 hours in before that, you get half a day with way less people.

I have visited I think 53? of these parks. May as well have a randomized list as far as which ones I enjoyed compared to this list! I think that it's great that everyone has their own experiences and receptions to these things.

The desert southwest is something special, though

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2020, 10:57:30 AM »

Or do it early in the morning. The tourist waves really start hitting around 10am for most of these things. If you can get 4-5 hours in before that, you get half a day with way less people.

I have visited I think 53? of these parks. May as well have a randomized list as far as which ones I enjoyed compared to this list! I think that it's great that everyone has their own experiences and receptions to these things.

The desert southwest is something special, though

I actually don't necessarily mind a certain amount of crowdedness.  It mostly annoys me only if I have to drive in heavy traffic or if the crowds are to the point that people are physically in my way a lot.  Solitude in nature is definitely nice, but sometimes it can also be nice to share the experience of natural wonders with other people. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2020, 01:27:20 PM »
I would highly recommend a couple places that aren't National Parks. Red River Gorge in Kentucky is a great place to hike and climb, if you love climbing. I've been there a half dozen times or so and love hiking there. Also I took my daughter on a long weekend trip to the Monongahela National Forest in WV. It was amazingly beautiful. Seneca Rocks, Spruce Knob, and the one place I didn't get a chance to visit but will someday, Dolly Sods.

I enjoyed Big South Fork each time I've had time to make the drive. Its like being in the Smokey Mtns (the parts I like) without the crowds. Kind of lonely at times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_South_Fork_National_River_and_Recreation_Area

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2020, 08:44:29 PM »

Sweet will do. Not sure I can make a day trip out of. I'm about 3.5 hours from BSF so would have to make plans to overnight it somewhere. I assume you've been to Cumberland Falls? Went there a couple times back in 2018 and really enjoyed hiking there as well.

I've heard that the mist from Cumberland Falls creates "Moonbows" when there's a full moon.  I'd like to see that sometime.  It sounds beautiful.

I'd really glad to find this thread.  DW gave me a park pass for Christmas, so we need to get out there and visit some of them. 

Can any of you recommend some that have especially nice lakes?  We bought an inflatable boat especially for travelling carrying along to the National Parks.  I like the views from the water, and figure it will be a nice break from hiking some days. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 11:41:05 PM by GreenEggs »

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2020, 09:56:44 PM »
You skipped the National Lakeshores (and Seashores) like the Apostale Islands and Pictured Rocks. They’re national parks too, just named different.

Those are National Park Service Units, which there are 419 of, including the National Parks.

There are just 62 National Parks, all of which are on our list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_parks_of_the_United_States

To be clear I meant that as you skipped some great national parks you should go back to, not that your blog post or claim was inaccurate due to skipping them. The idea of going all the way out to Isle Royale and skipping Pictured Rocks or Apostale Islands along the way makes me cringe a bit. They have stunning scenery, trails, campsites, and ranger programs like any other national park.

The designations are all messed up because they are political. Plus 419 “units” is questionable since DOI counts things like the Denali Reserve that’s adjacent to Denali Natl Park as two places. Or all the monuments on the mall as separate units.

Did you notice at Indiana Dunes that all the signs still said National Lakeshore? It was just recently redesignated as a “Park,” without any of the facilities, trails, boundaries etc changing. Rumor is because someone from Indiana high up in the White House wanted Indiana to have a “National Park.”  If you go to an apostale islands campsite or pictured rock backcountry site/trails you will probably feel more like you’re at a National Park than Indiana Dunes. And that’s not to knock the Dunes or say it shouldn’t also be a “Park.” (It’s our local getaway after all.) Just that the designations are arbitrary and confusing, leading people to ignore the national parks that congress decides for whatever reason to list as National so and so instead of “Park.”

Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 07:09:37 AM by Peachtea »

steevven1

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2020, 11:32:16 AM »
You skipped the National Lakeshores (and Seashores) like the Apostale Islands and Pictured Rocks. They’re national parks too, just named different.

Those are National Park Service Units, which there are 419 of, including the National Parks.

There are just 62 National Parks, all of which are on our list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_parks_of_the_United_States

To be clear I meant that as you skipped some great national parks you should go back to, not that your blog post or claim was inaccurate due to skipping them. The idea of going all the way out to Isle Royale and skipping Pictured Rocks or Apostale Islands along the way makes me cringe a bit. They have stunning scenery, trails, campsites, and ranger programs like any other national park.

The designations are all messed up because they are political. Plus 419 “units” is questionable since DOI counts things like the Denali Reserve that’s adjacent to Denali Natl Park as two places. Or all the monuments on the mall as separate units.

Did you notice at Indiana Dunes that all the signs still said National Lakeshore? It was just recently redesignated as a “Park,” without any of the facilities, trails, boundaries etc changing. Rumor is because someone from Indiana high up in the White House wanted Indiana to have a “National Park.”  If you go to an apostale islands campsite or pictured rock backcountry site/trails you will probably feel more like you’re at a National Park than Indiana Dunes. And that’s not to knock the Dunes or say it shouldn’t also be a “Park.” (It’s our local getaway after all.) Just that the designations are arbitrary and confusing, leading people to ignore the national parks that congress decides for whatever reason to list as National so and so instead of “Park.”

Edited for spelling.

Gotcha. All of that makes total sense. And I agree that the designations are sometimes completely political. I figure they must be for the Gateway Arch to be anything other than a "Monument."

I did notice the Lakeshore signs at Indiana Dunes. They actually had ONE sign that said "Indiana Dunes National Park" near the visitor center, and it hadn't even been hung up yet. We had taken a photo with every National Park sign...so we got a photo next to that one laying on the ground, haha.

I saw a video about Pictured Rocks recently, and it definitely made me want to go. It's def on our list for the future.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2020, 02:54:13 PM »

I've heard that the mist from Cumberland Falls creates "Moonbows" when there's a full moon.  I'd like to see that sometime.  It sounds beautiful.

I'd really glad to find this thread.  DW gave me a park pass for Christmas, so we need to get out there and visit some of them. 

Can any of you recommend some that have especially nice lakes?  We bought an inflatable boat especially for travelling carrying along to the National Parks.  I like the views from the water, and figure it will be a nice break from hiking some days.

I've hard that too about Cumberland Falls. We hiked during the day so didn't really see it. While Cumberland Falls is cool to see, it's also very touristy. There are several awesome smaller waterfalls you can actually hike to. I would recommend Dog Slaughter Falls.

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2020, 04:00:30 PM »

I've hard that too about Cumberland Falls. We hiked during the day so didn't really see it. While Cumberland Falls is cool to see, it's also very touristy. There are several awesome smaller waterfalls you can actually hike to. I would recommend Dog Slaughter Falls.

I saw the moon bow at Cumberland Falls once. It's really cool, especially if you go on a night with a very bright moon.  It's worth trying to schedule for if possible.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2020, 01:29:33 PM »
Sounds like there should be a topic, similar to the Mustachian meet-ups, that's all about meeting at a trail head and doing a bit of hiking. Ha!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2020, 03:06:20 PM »
Sounds like there should be a topic, similar to the Mustachian meet-ups, that's all about meeting at a trail head and doing a bit of hiking. Ha!

Sounds good to me. Who wants to go cross country ski on stage carriage roads of Acadia?

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2020, 09:06:27 AM »

Sounds good to me. Who wants to go cross country ski on stage carriage roads of Acadia?

As an avid lover of the outdoors (and Acadia was fantastic when I visited years ago), I would love to. As a Mustachian and geographically distant human, maybe in another lifetime!

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2020, 10:10:06 AM »
Acadia looks like a great place to put on the list of NPs with great boating opportunities.  If it were closer I'd like to try my hand at cross country skiing, but DW has "enjoyed" her share of the cold living the DIY lifestyle in the NC mountains for too many Winters.  ;)

It would be a nice stopping point on a Nova Scotia trip.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2020, 01:08:36 PM »
I am planning on taking a day trip to Red River Gorge tomorrow. Going to be in the 60s and sunny. Any takers? LOL
Usually my daughter hikes with me but she has gymnastics and her knee is currently in a brace.

steevven1

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2020, 10:31:08 AM »
Didn't want to be the one to "revive" this thread, but since it's still going, I figured I'd share that my wife recently did a complete write-up of the trip itself (with a map) for those who are curious about the logistics and stuff: https://www.tripofalifestyle.com/destinations/how-we-visited-every-national-park/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!