Author Topic: Virginia man commutes 220 miles a day  (Read 5433 times)

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Virginia man commutes 220 miles a day
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 07:54:49 PM »
What a nut!  To his credit, he actually carpools and takes a train partways, pretty impressive really.  In all those years, you'd have thought he would find a job closer to his home. 

As for my own commute I've got a roughly 60 mile roundtrip.  I must say since I work graveyard traffic is pretty easy, mostly going 60-70 the whole way.  And I actually like the drive.  The hills on the 133 are pretty calming, I get to see a new art exhibit almost daily with the trains that park nearby with new graffiti (I'm talking SKILLED work, not ghetto gangster crap), and frankly it's relaxing to sit and think about the day, the week ahead, and plan for the future.  I don't miss any time with my girlfriend because she's either sleeping or working while I'm out, and we make time in other ways.  I pretty much enjoy every damn thing about my job-sometimes I wonder why I'm here!  :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:01:17 PM by Johnez »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 08:04:55 PM »
There's a gentleman at work currently visiting from a sister office in another country. His daily commute is 280 miles round trip. Fortunately for him there's a direct train (in which I assume he works some) and a short additional subway trip. Over two hours each way nonetheless.

Joshua

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 09:04:51 PM »
Over the average work career of 40 years, he is spending 4.7 years commuting. A full 6% of his life. Wow.

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 11:45:48 PM »
Pure stupidity. In an SUV, too. Wow.

I have a co-worker that does about 100. In his big bad pickup truck, about $500/mo in gas.
He also tells me that I will lose all the money that goes into my 401k, because the bankers and the government will take it.
(thus he justifies it's pointless to save money.)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:49:09 PM by okashira »

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 04:17:24 PM »
Over the average work career of 40 years, he is spending 4.7 years commuting. A full 6% of his life. Wow.

And I'm assuming that's not counting just waking hours. When you consider we already sleep about 1/3 of our lives, he's giving even more of his aware time away to driving.

I have a co-worker that does about 100. In his big bad pickup truck, about $500/mo in gas.
He also tells me that I will lose all the money that goes into my 401k, because the bankers and the government will take it.
(thus he justifies it's pointless to save money.)

Man, that's just sad (but not unexpected). I feel people with those kinds of attitudes are pretty much hopeless, I doubt they'll ever really get it.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 04:53:52 PM »
How is it worth it to commute that far?  One of the people I know used to have a 150 mile commute.  He ended up getting an apartment near work and just driving home for the weekends...  Cost was about the same overall and saved him many hours of his life!

DollarsAndDissonance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 05:33:12 PM »
I honestly do not think I could tolerate that for a week, let alone the 2+ years he has been doing it.  If I were that compelled to take my dream job, I would have to find a nearby room for rent.  Based on the info in the story, he's spending 6-7 hours a day commuting.  Add in 8-9 hours of work and a bare minimum 6 hours of sleep, and where's the room for the "family time" he's said to value?

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 06:47:34 PM »
What a nut!  To his credit, he actually carpools and takes a train partways, pretty impressive really.  In all those years, you'd have thought he would find a job closer to his home. 

He says it's his dream job, and it pays three times more than his last job.  He's happy with his decision -- who are all of you to judge?  He's made a clear decision about what's important to him, and has made it happen.  Just because it's not what you or I would do doesn't mean it's crazy or worthy of derision.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 07:29:06 AM »
Fun story. If the map is accurate he lives very near my house. This guy is basically working five days and taking two off. Is he really that different from the lawyer working the 75 hour weeks? I get his commute. From my house to Fredericksburg is 1:00 to 1:15 depending on the lead in your foot. You get on I-95 at mile marker 62 (288) or 67 (Chippenham Parkway, my exit) and get off somewhere between mile markers 126 and 133. In other words, 64-76 highway miles, much of it in a 70MPH zone, call it an hour on the highway. From there he isn't driving so perhaps he has found ways to make use of that time (reading, radio, etc.)

Definitely not for me, but I definitely get the logistics. Must be one helluva dream job. Oh, and I love the VCU and RVA shirts! This guy and I even use the same company for trash pickup.

Now, if I were offered triple my salary for a five year gig in DC? Yeah, I'd have to consider that and would probably do it. Bank all the excess, stay with friends occasionally in NOVA, I could see it....  That would dramatically cut into my retirement date.

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 12:32:53 PM »
Fun story. If the map is accurate he lives very near my house. This guy is basically working five days and taking two off. Is he really that different from the lawyer working the 75 hour weeks? I get his commute. From my house to Fredericksburg is 1:00 to 1:15 depending on the lead in your foot. You get on I-95 at mile marker 62 (288) or 67 (Chippenham Parkway, my exit) and get off somewhere between mile markers 126 and 133. In other words, 64-76 highway miles, much of it in a 70MPH zone, call it an hour on the highway. From there he isn't driving so perhaps he has found ways to make use of that time (reading, radio, etc.)

Definitely not for me, but I definitely get the logistics. Must be one helluva dream job. Oh, and I love the VCU and RVA shirts! This guy and I even use the same company for trash pickup.

Now, if I were offered triple my salary for a five year gig in DC? Yeah, I'd have to consider that and would probably do it. Bank all the excess, stay with friends occasionally in NOVA, I could see it....  That would dramatically cut into my retirement date.

I'd just sleep in the car, shower in the gym. Still better then clowning it 300 miles every day.

allergic2average

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 04:46:26 PM »
That is INSANE. I've never met anyone who loves their job THAT much.  I love the fact that I'm a 10 minute drive away from work, I only have to load up gas twice a month :-)

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 06:39:28 AM »

He says it's his dream job, and it pays three times more than his last job.  He's happy with his decision -- who are all of you to judge?  He's made a clear decision about what's important to him, and has made it happen.  Just because it's not what you or I would do doesn't mean it's crazy or worthy of derision.

I honestly meant this in the most positive way possible and actually applaud the guy for getting the logistics down to a science. I don't and cannot judge another harshly for commutes, I have one myself that isn't short, driving a truck even.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!