Author Topic: Vent -- Craigslist dude is angry with me  (Read 10178 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Vent -- Craigslist dude is angry with me
« on: November 12, 2017, 09:15:28 PM »
Just a vent of my own.

I have been selling items as I declutter, onto craigs list.  Items for $20 that are old, but purchased over $150 and still working very well.

This potential buyer was frustrated that I did not hold an item for him for the night, when he emailed me that he would stop buy.
I had another buyer come to get a different item, then buy both.   I of course contacted first dude immediately to let him know, but he was already in the car.

I have had so many no shows this week, that first come, first served is the rule now.   ARGH.  Don't people understand that?   Don't have to write aggressive emails about it....

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Vent -- Craigslist dude is angry with me
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 10:30:12 PM »
Just put that in your advert.

"First come, first served.  I don't hold items.  First one here with the cash wins."

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 12:09:20 AM »
I've been on both sides of this. Man it's a bummer when that thing you've been searching for for months finally comes up on craigslist and then it gets snatched away just because you couldn't quite get there on time.

OTOH, them's the breaks with craigslist! No sense writing a snippy email to the seller. Hit delete. Dude has anger management problems and a skewed sense of entitlement.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:55:23 AM »
I've been on both sides of this. Man it's a bummer when that thing you've been searching for for months finally comes up on craigslist and then it gets snatched away just because you couldn't quite get there on time.

OTOH, them's the breaks with craigslist! No sense writing a snippy email to the seller. Hit delete. Dude has anger management problems and a skewed sense of entitlement.
Yup, that's the nature of the game.  I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:09:50 AM »
I haven't had problems with no shows myself (I have had lots of people express interest, but never follow through to set up an appointment to see items). I have been on the receiving end of a seller not holding an item for an appointment I made to purchase (in my case the seller did not contact me, I called to confirm before leaving and was told it was already sold). I'm not sure I would have sold the item to someone if I had already scheduled to show it to someone else an hour or so later.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 09:13:42 AM »
Yeah, I've had this happen to me too. In addition to putting "first come, first served" in the ad, I've learned to also bring it up again to anyone who asks me to hold something. Sure, I'm available tomorrow morning to show it to you, but if someone else shows up first, with cash, I'll let them take it.

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 01:59:09 PM »
Theres an easy way out of this. When somebody on the internet gets mad at you, put down the computer and go do something else.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 02:03:39 PM »
I've had this happen too, where I was selling something online, and someone who expressed interest did not get it because someone else also was interested actually committed to buying it first. Got a couple nasty emails stating she KNEW she must have emailed me first therefore it should have been hers. For me, it is whoever commits (and buys) first, not who expresses interest first because there are a lot of flakes out there.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 07:00:27 PM »
I get it, but on the flip side it's really frustrating being on the other side.  I've had a phone conversation with a Craigslist seller who said she'd hold a washer/dryer for me (I was literally leaving for her house at the time), only to show up and find someone else loading it into a truck. I was pissed.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 08:52:22 PM »
Theres an easy way out of this. When somebody on the internet gets mad at you, put down the computer and go do something else.

LOL, or vent here, then forget about it.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 03:37:54 PM »
Meh.  I've had plenty of craigslist flakes both buying and selling.  I remember one in particular where I responded to a Mexican Stratocaster and asked the seller about 16 ways if it was a Squier or said squier anywhere on it or had ever heard the word squier.  They said no, it's a Mexican Strat.  I drive an hour and get a text: "We just got home and noticed it's a Squier Stratocaster".  I turned around and drove home. 

People buying have always been understanding when they lose an item.  I do tend to hold stuff for people if they commit to buying but only till the weekend.  Someone makes an appointment for Saturday by noon and I'm done with lunch, I open up to the world again. 

I've sold thousands of things on Craigslist and bought hundreds of things.

My biggest problem customer was an older gentleman who drove an hour and a half for a well restored and modified Mexican Strat with a built in amp (lower cost Clapton Strat).  He said he couldn't play it because of some medical problem so I played it through an amp, twisted volume, tone, mid band gain and everything worked perfectly.  He then did try it out and played just fine.  He bought it and a couple days later sent a message because his finger hit the volume knob when he played.  Well, I used to have that problem and had to modify my picking hand position so explained that he'll have to do that but no, I won't take it back.  He then went to accuse me of selling something that was not a Mexican strat (like a chinese guitar or squier) because it didn't say "made in mexico" on the front.  This was a guitar from the deluxe lineup so the serial on the back of the headstock started DX which clearly indicated Deluxe Mexican.  Then he just started making things up....oh, the paint is all scratched.  I just stopped him and said I'm not taking it back.  He said "I know you sell stuff on Craigslist and I'm going to mess up your sales".  Great.  Never had any actual problems.  I'm sure he brought it to a Guitar center and found out that the thing was worth $150 more than he paid for it not even counting the nitrocellulose custom paint job, roller string tree and fully leveled and crowned fretboard.  Some people shouldn't even look at craigslist.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 08:13:59 PM »
Thanks for all the stories.   Yeah,  I thought there was too much emotion tied up in a $20 craigslist item.  Sure it was a great deal, but why wait 5 days, with email tag / texting before finally coming to pick it up if you need it that badly?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 08:51:02 PM »
This happened to me last week. Emailed someone who was selling some furniture. Said I had cash, a truck and I was very local so I could come that day. She never answered. I emailed her again 24 hours later. She replies that someone answered "just before you did today". Um no, I responded yesterday!!! 
She said she'd contact me if it fell through. I said "I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Thanks anyway" and moved on with my life. Something better will come along.

Venting here is smart.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 09:24:20 AM »
I had someone get upset with me, over a Facebook garage sale listing for a painting that I was selling. I sold it (she claimed) to someone who came after her. She kept messaging me over and over again, angry, until I blocked her and notified the moderator of the site that she was harassing me.  But with Craiglist, there doesn't appear to be anyone moderating the site or managing/overseeing anything that goes on there. That's why I don't like using Craiglist and I think also that's why so many weirdos prey there.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 12:16:35 PM »
Sold an Axiom rack-mounted bike bag, brand new, for $40.  I'd bought it from a reputable bike store.  It's worth over 70 + tax.  The guy came over, examined it, and paid me the $40.

The next day I get a message saying that the item is a knock-off and he wants his money back.  I said that it's extremely unlikely that the item is fake, but I would give him back his $ if he returned the item.  Never heard from him again.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 01:11:53 PM »
A few months ago I sold off some gear after downsizing some hobbies. A few things I learned:

First, after a number of strange interactions (requests to drive halfway across the state, unreasonable holds, people flaking, etc.) I camp up with the following boilerplate for every post: "First come, first serve. No holds. Cash only. Must pick up in [my town]." This mostly eliminated the crazies, though some people still ask!

Second, I learned to accurately document everything about the item in the post: condition, make, model, year, dimensions, damage, etc. If when meeting with the buyer they decide to start negotiation down or try to lowball, unless there's some condition I didn't know about (e.g. damage I didn't see), then I just start packing things up and drive away. They knew the condition and details before meeting, not interested in their BS. The fact that they drove to my town (usually a public parking lot) means I don't feel pressure to accept a lowball offer or to haggle over price.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 01:58:02 PM »
FWIW I've bought a couple of high priced toys from Craigslist and both sellers met me halfway to save me miles. First one a couple of HOURS (that was truly generous) and the other 45 mins.

Have seen four cars which were total frauds on Craigslist. One in the past month. Always the price is too low. Save out the pictures and do a Google Image search by uploading the pictures and the truth comes fast.

One was a car a friend was interested in supposedly for sale in a state to our east for a crazy low price. It was actually part of a museum collection 600 miles away in a different direction.

The other was local except it was actually for sale many hundreds of miles away on a car lot.

Another car was a "fire sale" and far too good to be true. It was advertised all over the country in random spots where buyers were unlikely to find it twice. Different descriptions. Actually worth north of $30K but for sale at a price under $5K.

Each time there was a complicated buyer process b/c the seller was relocating or in the military or both.

Buyer be very wary...

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 02:13:11 PM »
If you ever want to see the worst of craigslist, post something in the FREE section.

Everyone should experience it once in their life...

Now I dont do it.  I REFUSE to post anything in the free section.   I post the item for FREE in the appropriate section.   So like a free water heater in the appliance section so i know it goes to someone searching and needing it and not to some mentally disabled hoarder...

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »
If you ever want to see the worst of craigslist, post something in the FREE section.

Everyone should experience it once in their life...

Now I dont do it.  I REFUSE to post anything in the free section.   I post the item for FREE in the appropriate section.   So like a free water heater in the appliance section so i know it goes to someone searching and needing it and not to some mentally disabled hoarder...

Uh, well I can imagine it's a lot like posting stuff on Freecycle. A freaking nightmare. Too many people saying "want" and then don't show up to get it.

I used to post free items on Freecycle. People would make up the weirdest stories about how badly they needed the free item. Then they wouldn't show up to get it. Then make up another far-fetched story to explain why they didn't pick it up. My freecycle had a rule that if you were a no-show, they'd kick you off. So they'd make up stories about having to take their child to the emergency room. I  got this same story from two different posters (probably the same person) after they didn't show up to get the free stuff from my porch. So they wouldn't get kicked off the site.

nora

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 09:57:29 PM »

What I do with free stuff is put it outside the house near the footpath. Then I list it as free from outside the address. Cars pull up within minutes sometimes and take it away. Then I remove listing. Get occasional call from someone asking if it is still there so a quick walk outside to see, but not too much effort required.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 10:45:08 PM »
If it's any consolation, freecycle died in these parts once NextDoor came to town.  I still get the emails, but they're down to a trickle. Since you can't be anonymous on ND, there is a lot less flakiness.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 08:50:50 AM »
If you want someone else to experience the world of craigslist, make a posting of FREE xxxx on their birthday with their first name and phone number. My BIL's last birthday I did this with chickens and an original picture. I think I enjoyed his birthday more than he did.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 09:37:05 AM »
If you want someone else to experience the world of craigslist, make a posting of FREE xxxx on their birthday with their first name and phone number. My BIL's last birthday I did this with chickens and an original picture. I think I enjoyed his birthday more than he did.

Cars are another good one.    The people who believe in something for nothing are crazy. . .

For extra kicks add this to the post   "If I do not answer, DO NOT LEAVE A VOICEMAIL, please keep calling until I answer. (my ringer doesnt work)"   

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 09:47:55 AM »
DO NOT HAVE CRAIGSLIST BUYERS OR SELLERS COME TO YOUR HOUSE. JUST DON'T.
Meet in a nearby, very public place.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 09:54:32 AM »

Bad experience?  Im  more worried about danger when Im the buyer with a pocket full of cash.

As far as meeting at the house, Ive been busy away from home before and just left the item sitting in the driveway and told the person to leave the cash under my windshield wiper.    So far everyone has been honest.

**Edit**
Its not fair, but if I was an attractive young lady, I probably wouldn't use craigslist at all.... 

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 10:07:20 AM »

Bad experience?  Im  more worried about danger when Im the buyer with a pocket full of cash.

As far as meeting at the house, Ive been busy away from home before and just left the item sitting in the driveway and told the person to leave the cash under my windshield wiper.    So far everyone has been honest.

**Edit**
Its not fair, but if I was an attractive young lady, I probably wouldn't use craigslist at all....
No bad experiences, so far. It's just common sense safety precaution. CL themselves stress it.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 10:25:43 AM »
I always have someone with me when meeting someone from craigslist, most of the people I've interacted with have done the same.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 08:22:06 AM »

I did this to a buddy, listing a "free monkey."

Someone reported his phone number and apparently he was contacted by the dept of Fish and Wildlife and some animal cruelty group... we almost got him in legal trouble I think!

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 02:51:37 PM »
Ah, Craigslist adventures. I once tried selling a bra I had ordered online & didn't fit right (and had held on to too long to just return) - realized this was a bad idea after getting messages from potential buyers asking for pictures with me in it, ugh. I once also tried selling a mandolin on Craigslist - the person shows up, examines it, sees nothing wrong with it as it was basically brand new, and then tells me they brought $10 less than what I was charging and could they have it for that amount instead? If they'd asked me ahead of time if I would have accepted that amount I probably would have said "yes", but I found it rude that they'd waited to barter until the exchange itself, so I ended up declining their sale and sold it to someone else.

No-shows are incredibly frustrating - I've had that with both Craigslist & Freecycle. Nextdoor is definitely better about that, but the downside is that it's a much smaller audience..

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2017, 02:41:59 PM »
A few months ago I sold off some gear after downsizing some hobbies. A few things I learned:

First, after a number of strange interactions (requests to drive halfway across the state, unreasonable holds, people flaking, etc.) I camp up with the following boilerplate for every post: "First come, first serve. No holds. Cash only. Must pick up in [my town]." This mostly eliminated the crazies, though some people still ask!

Second, I learned to accurately document everything about the item in the post: condition, make, model, year, dimensions, damage, etc. If when meeting with the buyer they decide to start negotiation down or try to lowball, unless there's some condition I didn't know about (e.g. damage I didn't see), then I just start packing things up and drive away. They knew the condition and details before meeting, not interested in their BS. The fact that they drove to my town (usually a public parking lot) means I don't feel pressure to accept a lowball offer or to haggle over price.

This is great!

ThreeCarbsNoGrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2017, 09:01:14 PM »
Had several no-shows within FB sales lately.  And today just took the cake.  Sold an appliance to someone who came to pick it up, I offered to plug it in and let them see it work, they declined.  They get home and message me that it’s not working.  I have no idea what could be wrong, the appliance worked well all day today (and always has) I responded to the first few questions but I don’t have any other suggestions.  I just deleted the listing so I wouldn’t receive more messages.  That seems cowardly but I don’t have a solution for this person.

What do you all suggest to avoid an issue in the future?  I feel like this is the nature of purchasing used items.

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2017, 10:17:27 PM »
I offered to plug it in and let them see it work, they declined.
They get home and message me that it’s not working.
I would suspect that it's a scam, trying to get you to refund some/all of the money via paypal or something.
They didn't want to see it working, because that would undercut their later false complaint that it doesn't work.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2017, 11:06:16 PM »
I sold a bunk bed frame from my Dad's house a few weeks ago. I got a text about 10 pm Christmas Eve - purchaser can't find a couple of parts. Frame was disassembled before purchaser came. I know I carried the parts outside to the purchaser's truck, but head across town to Dad's house to double check. Parts aren't in the house or accidentally left outside during loading (neighbor who watches over the property never saw them). After checking again, I go home. Soon after I get home I get another text - purchaser accidentally left them at neighbor's house where he was hiding the bed for a Christmas surprise.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2017, 11:14:13 PM »
At least the customer couldn't attack you financially, which is what happened to me when I tried to sell on Amazon. Idiot customer didn't understand what my listing meant when it said it was a DOCSIS 2 cable modem and they got angry when they couldn't get it to work with their DOCSIS 3 service. I only told them directly in the listing three times that it was a DOCSIS 2 modem. Nope. Complaint to Amazon and I had to refund their money and pay for return shipping out of my own pocket.

Never again.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2017, 11:15:23 PM »
What do you all suggest to avoid an issue in the future?

Create a simple document/statement: "I [blank space for purchaser's name] have checked [item] and find all parts present and item in good working order." Encourage them to check everything before signing. Signing will motivate most to check thoroughly.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2017, 06:33:52 AM »
I once also tried selling a mandolin on Craigslist - the person shows up, examines it, sees nothing wrong with it as it was basically brand new, and then tells me they brought $10 less than what I was charging and could they have it for that amount instead? If they'd asked me ahead of time if I would have accepted that amount I probably would have said "yes", but I found it rude that they'd waited to barter until the exchange itself, so I ended up declining their sale and sold it to someone else.

This is a very common strategy. Most frugal guides tells you to do this because very few people will decline a sale when you are there.  Good for you!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2017, 08:52:05 AM »
I have run into that strategy or something pretending to be it before. I love buying on Craigslist/FB marketplace but being a seller is the pits.

At one point I was selling this huge roll of copper foil tape. Totally random. I couldn’t figure out how to sell it for the scrap metal value which probably would have been sizable. Anyway, I list it and got someone to agree for something like $25.

Two dudes show up in the evening when I am quite pregnant and obviously putting my toddler down to bed (in her pajamas, book in hand in her room) and proceed to try hard to get me down to $15. Three times I have to tell them no as they hem and haw. I really wanted to tell them to go pound sand and that I could donate it for a better tax write-off, but refrained. Grrrr

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 05:16:52 PM »
Ha, that reminds me...I listed a motorcycle on Craigslist a few years ago.  I had numerous people interested within a couple of hours. One guy wanted to come look at it at ~11pm (didn't want to wait til the next day, because someone else might beat him to it).  I had it listed for $2100 and he shows up, approaching midnight, looks at the bike and offers me $1800.  I probably laughed out loud...this dude was so eager to buy this that he showed up at 11pm - and then expected to have negotiation room?

He gave me the full $2100.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 11:26:34 PM »
I feel compelled to post this PSA: Police now recommend meeting buyers and sellers in a public place (mall, etc) for transactions. /end PSA

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2018, 02:31:24 AM »
Cars are another good one.    The people who believe in something for nothing are crazy. . .

Oh boy.... just went through this with my old car. I basically listed every detail on it with firm but fair price. Lets just say it needs work. The number of emails I would get from people who only looked at the price and "needed some help" was amazing. My replies to them explained that the car would need X amount of money to fix. Also those who seemed really interested, but did not leave their number. And then those who would email saying that they would offer X despite me writing "FIRM FIRM FIRM FIRM FIRM" on the ad.

Then I mistakenly said I was going to donate my car to a certain organization if it didn't sell... One response was enough to make me definitely donate the car to said organization. They made up my mind for me.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2018, 02:38:23 AM »
I once also tried selling a mandolin on Craigslist - the person shows up, examines it, sees nothing wrong with it as it was basically brand new, and then tells me they brought $10 less than what I was charging and could they have it for that amount instead? If they'd asked me ahead of time if I would have accepted that amount I probably would have said "yes", but I found it rude that they'd waited to barter until the exchange itself, so I ended up declining their sale and sold it to someone else.

I've always found that motivated sellers and buyers will usually have this good vibe going. Good prompt communication. Good sellers have a fair price and good buyers know if they are getting a good deal. Minimal haggling if any.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2018, 08:59:36 AM »

This is a very common strategy. Most frugal guides tells you to do this because very few people will decline a sale when you are there.  Good for you!

Agree! This is one of the big reasons I make buyers meet me somewhere in my town. If they drove 30 minutes they are less likely to try such gimmicks, and if they do I just walk away and they wasted their time/gas rather than my time/gas. 

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2018, 04:45:58 PM »
OP, on the one hand, he over-reacted. On the other hand, it sounds like you made a deal, he expended some energy (started driving there), and then you reneged, which was poor form. Did you treat him the way you would want to be treated if you were the buyer? Lesson learned about stating your actual policy up front if you aren't going to hold something.

I've had really good luck on Craigslist, but I've been burned a few times by sellers doing exactly what you did. At least you contacted him . . . in my case I've driven all the way to the location only to find I was stood up. It is just plain bad manners.

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2018, 10:45:10 AM »
My experiences with CL/FB marketplaces etc have been really great. I've even had people call me after I buy something and say "I found an extra part for that thing you bought."

The only negative experience I've had is with holds. People ghost you after they promise to be in touch and such.