Poll

Whom do you plan to vote for in November?

Hillary Clinton
115 (51.3%)
Donald Trump
20 (8.9%)
Gary Johnson
75 (33.5%)
Jill Stein
9 (4%)
Plan to abstain in November
5 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 221

Voting closed: August 17, 2016, 02:33:49 PM

Author Topic: Updated poll - Clinton, Trump, Stein, Johnson?  (Read 10782 times)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
Updated poll - Clinton, Trump, Stein, Johnson?
« on: August 02, 2016, 02:33:49 PM »
As we head into the general election in earnest, it seemed a good time to update the MMM polls with the refined crop of candidates (sorry, Vermin Supreme did not make the cut).

Edit: note, you are able to edit your responses in this poll if you have a change of heart and care enough to change this.

Adding this link in for comparison: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:05:15 PM by Glenstache »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
Re: Updated poll - Clinton, Trump, Stein, Johnson?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 03:06:30 PM »
Since this will be my first presidential election while residing in a swing state, I'm looking forward to my vote actually being consequential. I will be voting for Hillary.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 09:00:53 AM »
I'm pretty sure I'm going to vote for Gary Johnson.  I realize this may help Hillary Clinton to win, and I am resignedly okay with that.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 09:18:16 AM »
I'm pretty sure I'm going to vote for Gary Johnson.  I realize this may help Hillary Clinton to win, and I am resignedly okay with that.

Even though I'm more politically aligned with Clinton than Johnson, I would consider sending Johnson a vote if I were in a state where the outcome was a forgone conclusion. I think the Democrats need a viable political rival to maintain a balanced political system, and at this point, I'd much rather it be the Libertarians than the Republicans.

Just out of curiosity, LeRainDrop, do you reside in a swing state?

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 10:15:58 AM »

Even though I'm more politically aligned with Clinton than Johnson, I would consider sending Johnson a vote if I were in a state where the outcome was a forgone conclusion. I think the Democrats need a viable political rival to maintain a balanced political system, and at this point, I'd much rather it be the Libertarians than the Republicans.

No, Georgia.

a plan comes together

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 12:33:46 PM »
Vote for Stein/Johnson/Nobody = 0.5 of a vote for Trump

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 12:40:47 PM »
It's like you think if you say this enough times, it will become true.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 12:41:18 PM »

Only if you're in a swing state.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 11:43:58 AM »
With approximately 0.2% of the mustachians reporting, I think we have a clear winner. The result distribution is about what I would expect based on the active commenters/posters.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 02:16:19 PM »

Whereas my Republican family members tell me that my vote for Johnson is a vote for Hillary. I seem to be pissing off members of both major parties.

...which happens to be my goal.

SUCCESS!

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 05:18:31 AM »

If enough people vote for Johnson, he will win.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 06:15:49 AM »
It's pretty scary that over 50% of poll participants would vote for Hillary with a clear conscience.

Personally I will be voting for Gary, but regardless of the outcome of the election, it's RIP 'Murica

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 06:24:58 AM »
It's pretty scary that over 50% of poll participants would vote for Hillary with a clear conscience.

Personally I will be voting for Gary, but regardless of the outcome of the election, it's RIP 'Murica

The world is a scary place. At least that's what Trump told me.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 06:29:52 AM »

Ha ha ha

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 06:30:31 AM »
I wonder how many states are going to swing this election cycle. I live in a state that has been solidly red for about a decade. Right now most polls have them almost dead even.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 12:33:25 PM »

No, Georgia.

Georgia is becoming a swing state this time around. 538 has it only 60% likely to go Trump. I saw it close to tied in a couple polls.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 01:00:05 PM »

No, Georgia.

Georgia is becoming a swing state this time around. 538 has it only 60% likely to go Trump. I saw it close to tied in a couple polls.

It would be just peachy if Georgia became a swing state, since I'll likely be residing there as of the 2020 presidential elections. I think the demographics are slowly headed in that direction, and the Republican nominee hasn't done them any favors in this cycle. Georgia is already more educated than its southern peers, nearly on par with the national average. It's also more diverse and wealthier than most southern states. In fact, Georgia is ahead of North Carolina by all of these metrics. I'm still curious why North Carolina has been in play in recent national elections, while Georgia has not. I would need to dig a little deeper to understand it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 01:07:18 PM »

Ha ha ha

rofl

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 04:05:59 PM »
I'll be voting for Hillary, but wishing I could vote for Romney or McCain or another term for Obama or Biden or Jon Huntsman or almost anyone else. I always vote for the centrist, even if I dislike them immensely.

Stein panders to over-educated idiots who think their feefees about genetics and viruses and power generation and so on are worth anything. Johnson would let states discriminate against people if they wanted to. And Trump publicly said he'd boycott my employer and force them to break their own products, who by the way makes awesome shit that everyone loves and pays tens of thousands of US workers good wage. So I guess Clinton it is.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 06:47:24 PM »

"Clear conscience" was not part of the question...

If, 2 years ago, you had told me that the Republican's could field 17 national candidates for office, and I would prefer Clinton to at least 14 of them, I would have laughed.

But they did.

God help us all.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 12:38:53 PM »

No, Georgia.

It would be just peachy if Georgia became a swing state, since I'll likely be residing there as of the 2020 presidential elections. I think the demographics are slowly headed in that direction, and the Republican nominee hasn't done them any favors in this cycle. Georgia is already more educated than its southern peers, nearly on par with the national average. It's also more diverse and wealthier than most southern states. In fact, Georgia is ahead of North Carolina by all of these metrics. I'm still curious why North Carolina has been in play in recent national elections, while Georgia has not. I would need to dig a little deeper to understand it.

The Southeast has been booming in population the past few years, but NC in particular has had a tech industry boom, which I suspect increases that state's young, more liberal voting base.

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 12:45:05 PM »
Well I marked down Jill Stein.  Unfortunately I still vote in Florida which is in one of those swing type places I keep hearing is the latest trend in map colorings.  So when it actually comes to voting time, I will be voting for Clinton.  Trump and the Republican/Tea Party controlled congress scare me that much.  If less than a 270 majority didn't go straight to them, then I'd consider voting differently!

SimplyMarvie

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2016, 02:34:33 PM »
I would have voted for Hilary either way, but there was a lovely sign someone posted on Facebook this morning that said "Clinton/Kaine, because I'm sane." and that's kind of how I'm feeling about it. Everyone else freaks me out too much, so even if I didn't like Hillary (and I get that there are people who don't...) I'd probably still vote for her.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2016, 03:08:13 PM »

No, Georgia.

I see what you did there.

Although Georgia grows far fewer peaches than South Carolina--let alone California. But California's kind of the greatest at most things, so that's not a fair comparison. Like how Wisconsin claims to be America's Dairyland...with the 2nd most dairy production (to California of course).

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »

I see what you did there.

Although Georgia grows far fewer peaches than South Carolina--let alone California. But California's kind of the greatest at most things, so that's not a fair comparison. Like how Wisconsin claims to be America's Dairyland...with the 2nd most dairy production (to California of course).

To be fair, Georgia earned its nickname during Reconstruction, as cotton farmers moved to diversify their crops and found a ready market for peaches. Production increased consistently until 1928 when it peaked at 8 million bushels/year, leading the nation. Production has fallen to 2.8 million bushels/year at present. But yeah, I try not to miss a good pun, regardless of the current state of agricultural commodities. Last I checked, Georgia was still leading the nation in pecans and peanuts, so I'm sure there are still plenty of nutjobs who will be casting their votes for Trump.

I'm still curious why North Carolina has been in play in recent national elections, while Georgia has not. I would need to dig a little deeper to understand it.

The Southeast has been booming in population the past few years, but NC in particular has had a tech industry boom, which I suspect increases that state's young, more liberal voting base.

Age was one demographic that I didn't look at - but looking through the census data, Georgia actually has a younger population than North Carolina, and the nation, as a whole.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 07:56:39 AM »
But yeah, I try not to miss a good pun, regardless of the current state of agricultural commodities. Last I checked, Georgia was still leading the nation in pecans and peanuts, so I'm sure there are still plenty of nutjobs who will be casting their votes for Trump.

Bravo, sir!

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 08:05:27 AM »
I've never voted for a major party candidate for President -- partially because I don't like either party on the national level, partially because I live in New York, which always goes Dem and where my individual vote won't make a difference. In the past, I've generally voted Green, but this time I'm thinking Johnson is my candidate -- he's not an insane tax-dodging whiner, like most Libertarians, and Jill Stein's recent statements about wireless networks and vaccines make me wonder when Harvard is going to come around asking for their medical degree back.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 12:10:55 PM »

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 04:06:09 PM »
Is all the Johnson support just the never-Trumpers, or is that actually how many libertarians are on the forum?

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 05:17:14 PM »
Trump should just call it quits now.  For all essential purposes - it's over.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-national-security_us_57a8d2dce4b0aae2a5a0ba36

I can't remember a time when one Party thought it's chosen candidate was such a dumbass.  Gonna need a small bowl of popcorn for election evening because it will be of short duration.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:34:45 PM by Northwestie »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2016, 06:14:03 PM »
Trump should just call it quits now.  For all essential purposes - it's over.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-national-security_us_57a8d2dce4b0aae2a5a0ba36

I can't remember a time when one Party thought it's chosen candidate was such a dumbass.  Gonna need a small bowl of popcorn for election evening because it will be of short duration.

Five Thirty Eight is showing AZ leaning slightly blue. ARIZONA! I lived there for years and that is leaving me agog.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2016, 03:02:10 PM »
Three Democrat presidential elections in a row. The GOP may well self-combust on election night.

Eight years ago the GOP spent all that time talking about Barack Obama's lack of experience and then they field a guy this time 'round with zero experience.

And then they spent so much time running interference on Barack Obama over the past eight years that they forgot to come up with a plan to lead the country. Except I suppose in the short term they were just going to reverse everything Barack Obama accomplished.

The Greatest Circus on Earth!

I support a few of the GOP platforms but I'd like to see them calm down and be a bit more moderate, middle of the road before they'll ever get my vote again.

I don't want to vote for Hillary. I like that she has all that experience. I like that she is well educated. Fine with the gender aspect. Able to publicly speak confidently. But I wish it wasn't Hillary. I've had a bit too much of the Clintons and the Bushes.

Lots of ladies I'd vote for if they had a good education and enough leadership experience. I'd vote for Ivanka Trump before I'd vote for her father. She is well spoken and personable and likely well educated. I'd even vote for one of the Obamas again. Michelle would likely be more qualified than Donald Trump - and I respect her much, much more.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2016, 03:37:02 PM »

What a ridiculous, ill informed, dare I say even childish "argument."

Not only do you clearly show that you don't understand how the electoral college works (something every adult American should know).

It wrongly assumes that someone voting for Stein or Johnson would otherwise vote for an utterly awful candidate like Hillary Clinton.

A vote for Jill Stein is a vote for a progressive candidate. 

A vote for Gary Johnson is a vote for individual liberty.

A vote for Hillary is a vote for crony corporatism and war.

As I have zero interest in voting for Trump, or warmonger Hillary, my vote is going to go to Libertarian Governor Gary Johnson!

Make America Sane Again.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2016, 03:43:27 PM »
Is all the Johnson support just the never-Trumpers, or is that actually how many libertarians are on the forum?

It's probably a little of both (I'm one of the long-term Libertarians).

Also, Johnson seems to be pulling some of the progressive vote from Bernie supporters that can't vote for either Hillary or Trump (understandable as both are simply horrific candidates- the USA should be embarrassed regardless of whether Hillary or Trump wins), but live in states where the Green Party isn't on the ballot (the Libertarian Party will be on the ballot in all 50 states and DC).

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2016, 08:06:47 AM »
Also, Johnson seems to be pulling some of the progressive vote from Bernie supporters that can't vote for either Hillary or Trump (understandable as both are simply horrific candidates- the USA should be embarrassed regardless of whether Hillary or Trump wins), but live in states where the Green Party isn't on the ballot (the Libertarian Party will be on the ballot in all 50 states and DC).

I'm pretty much in that category, but I'd probably vote for Johnson over Stein even if Stein were on the ballot. The environmentalist stuff is great, but too much of the rest of the platform is "bread and circuses" to me.

If the libertarians would quit pretending that they live in a bubble and negative externalities don't exist, I think they'd get a lot more political traction.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2016, 08:17:55 AM »
If the libertarians would quit pretending that they live in a bubble and negative externalities don't exist, I think they'd get a lot more political traction.

If they did this it would be like having a sane republican party, and I'm sure they would pick up an awful lot of votes.  It would be good for the US to have a less crazy counterpoint to balance against the democrats too.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2016, 04:27:30 PM »

If they did this it would be like having a sane republican party, and I'm sure they would pick up an awful lot of votes.  It would be good for the US to have a less crazy counterpoint to balance against the democrats too.

Agreed. I might not vote for that party, but it sure would be nice to have one. As it is, most of the libertarian stuff I hear, as Jack pointed out, just seems like a different version of crazy-train. Which is sad.

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2016, 10:57:47 AM »

Whereas my Republican family members tell me that my vote for Johnson is a vote for Hillary. I seem to be pissing off members of both major parties.

...which happens to be my goal.

SUCCESS!

lol you could just tell Democrats that Trump would be your second choice, and tell Republicans that Hillary would be your second choice... then everybody will support your decision to vote Johnson ;)

Sprint

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2016, 11:06:25 AM »
Apparently Evan Mc Mullin is throwing his hat in the ring as an independent.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/08/anti-trump-republican-evan-mcmullin/494870/

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/us/politics/evan-mcmullin-independent-candidate.html?_r=0

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/08/08/anti-trump-republican-evan-mcmullin-announces-presidential-bid/

If he does officially become a credible candidate on the ballot somewhere, I'll add him to the poll above.

I read this forum semi-frequently and don't really comment, but this is actually really exciting for me so I thought I'd break with tradition and add my voice.

Evan and I went to business school together - he's a good dude. Can't say I agree with him on every topic of course, but I can vouch for his character. Smart, not particularly attention-seeking, kind, with a quiet kind of strength. I say add him to this survey - even if he is a long shot! :) There are enough Republicans that are defecting that he just might wind up with some serious money and organizational strength behind him.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2016, 11:09:59 AM »
Not going to happen.  The rules for registering as a candidate vary from state to state.  He may be smart and a nice guy - but at this point with no money, organization, or name recognition he has about the same chance as I do.  Setting himself up for next time around?  Maybe.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2016, 11:43:31 AM »
previous poll results as reference.

interesting to see how little it changed... maybe we choose to vote our party regardless of candidates.
Or just lesser of two evils?
2012 poll - 59% obama, 15% romney, 26% other
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/presidential-election-unofficial-poll

whereas there is a big change compared to Feb 2016 poll - 50% sanders, 15% clinton, 15% paul, 6% trump
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/poll-who-would-be-president-if-mustachians-were-the-only-voters

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2016, 04:18:23 PM »
Not going to happen.  The rules for registering as a candidate vary from state to state.  He may be smart and a nice guy - but at this point with no money, organization, or name recognition he has about the same chance as I do.  Setting himself up for next time around?  Maybe.

Yeah, he's clearly doing it as a cheap way to gain name recognition.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2016, 05:24:59 PM »
Going way back to 2012 I actually worked (paid, not volunteer) on the Romney campaign. I think a lot of us get caught up in the whole "THE OTHER SIDE IS DELUSIONAL AND EVIL" any time there is a political conversation without taking a critical look at our own side. I don't think everything Obama did was horrible, there are actually some things he has done well and I applaud him for. At the same time I was totally against Romney's stance on gay marriage and I thought his "self deportation" comments were laughable at best.

This go around I was hoping for Rubio, Christie, or Kasich. Each have their own strong points and major flaws. On the Democratic side I aligned closer in ideology with Clinton but loathe many qualities and stances she has. I thought Bernie was a genuine person and often found myself nodding my head in agreement with what he said was wrong with the country but thought his strategies to fix it were terrible.

When Trump got the nod on the Republican side I honestly tried to like him and I have to admit for a political news junkie he has made this election cycle breathtakingly entertaining but in good conscience I cannot vote for him. I find him and Clinton both awful candidates that don't represent my views or interests and I think we are headed for trouble regardless of who is elected. I consider Clinton the "lesser of two evils" but I feel absolutely no obligation to vote for her.

That being said I am voting 3rd party this go around but mainly focusing on the local elections.

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2016, 05:48:07 PM »

https://medium.com/@cshirky/theres-no-such-thing-as-a-protest-vote-c2fdacabd704#.5it667tl0
I thought this was a great article explaining the third party "protest vote" futility in the United States. In my opinion, kinda like buying a lottery ticket because you want to FIRE: takes 30 sec to fill in a bubble, and while very slightly possible, is not anywhere remotely close to likely. Fills you with hope initially, then bitter disappointment later, when the whole time the result you're seeking is something that is well within the possibility of coming to fruition after some years or decades of sustained effort.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2016, 10:23:58 AM »

https://medium.com/@cshirky/theres-no-such-thing-as-a-protest-vote-c2fdacabd704#.5it667tl0
I thought this was a great article explaining the third party "protest vote" futility in the United States. In my opinion, kinda like buying a lottery ticket because you want to FIRE: takes 30 sec to fill in a bubble, and while very slightly possible, is not anywhere remotely close to likely. Fills you with hope initially, then bitter disappointment later, when the whole time the result you're seeking is something that is well within the possibility of coming to fruition after some years or decades of sustained effort.

It also has a little bit of a cost to it like a lottery ticket.  You may be helping the greater of the two evils win, at least if you live in a swing state (I don't but you do). 

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2016, 01:33:16 PM »
I thought this was a great article explaining the third party "protest vote" futility in the United States.
The logic in this article is atrociously simplistic and rests on assumptions I don't agree with. As a mathematician who's studied voting theory, I understand that my vote is futile no matter what - one vote does not make a statistical difference, especially in a non-swing state. However, I still vote, and I vote for the person I want to win. In our system, to me there is no other rational option.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2016, 02:41:27 PM »
I thought this was a great article explaining the third party "protest vote" futility in the United States.
The logic in this article is atrociously simplistic and rests on assumptions I don't agree with. As a mathematician who's studied voting theory, I understand that my vote is futile no matter what - one vote does not make a statistical difference, especially in a non-swing state. However, I still vote, and I vote for the person I want to win. In our system, to me there is no other rational option.

Perot or Nader?

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2016, 11:04:30 AM »
Perot or Nader?
Haha, I wasn't old enough for either of those votes, sorry!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2016, 10:12:33 AM »
Five Thirty Eight just bumped Clinton's chances yet again, and she's now approaching 89% likelihood of election. AZ and GA are still trending blue.

I understand that 10% chance of Trump election is still a chance, but it isn't looking good.

Also, I'd like Moonshadow to explain to us all again how Trump will absolutely 100% without doubt be our next president....anyone? Bueller?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2016, 06:04:32 PM »
I'm voting Johnson and if I were in a swing state, I'd still vote Johnson.