Author Topic: Ukraine  (Read 573951 times)

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

Re: Ukraine
« Reply #2450 on: October 11, 2022, 06:00:07 PM »
Good signs regarding nuclear escalation:
“In terms of the further act of terrorism on the territory of Russia, the Russian reply will be harsh and will be corresponding to the level of threat to the Russian Federation, have no doubt about it.”
The brash chatter about nuclear weapons has died down and now the talk is about proportionality. The rather conventional response against Ukraine following the Kerch bridge incident are another sign of a lack of willingness to meaningfully escalate.

There are also suggestions that the Kremlin is interested in opening negotiations, though the terms are unlikely to be of interest to Ukraine (there is some discussion in the article on how the US State Department doesn't find these overtures authentic, but really, what is to be gained by Russia by even suggesting this right now?).

This piece gives the view that the main players in Russia are perhaps near the point of withdrawing to defend their own bases of power, suggesting the domestic situation is now becoming a far more important consideration than the adventurism in Ukraine.

Galeev's recent posts have been far less impressive than his earlier stuff for setting historical and cultural context, but this one is very well done, with some gory speculative details as well. A funny way of telling Musk to stay in his own lane, as well as emphasizing his earlier points about the pathological deficiencies of mafia-states.

The weight of evidence suggests rapidly growing weakness from Russia, but many have gone bankrupt attempting Kremlinology.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2451 on: October 12, 2022, 09:43:46 AM »
I don't have the Tweet to share, but I saw somebody (maybe Russian government) estimate 1-2 months to repair the track. I don't know if that's just the melted rails, or if that includes any damage to the superstructure.

Ukraine could tie up alot of resources waiting about 2 months and then attacking it again...

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2452 on: October 12, 2022, 06:32:01 PM »
Has Ukraine claimed responsibility for the bridge explosion? Perhaps it was partisans from within Russia [wink].

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2453 on: October 12, 2022, 07:51:27 PM »
Has Ukraine claimed responsibility for the bridge explosion? Perhaps it was partisans from within Russia [wink].

Well, the Russians are simultaneously blaming the Ukrainians and they've also arrested a number of Russians for the destruction of the bridge.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2454 on: October 12, 2022, 08:22:12 PM »

Well, the Russians are simultaneously blaming the Ukrainians and they've also arrested a number of Russians for the destruction of the bridge.
Plus they completely faked the "Ukrainian" passport of a supposed accomplice. Like literally swiped it off Wikipedia, photo-shopped the pic and name along with some supposed blood discoloration - left the ID numbers exactly the same.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2455 on: October 12, 2022, 11:54:54 PM »

Plus they completely faked the "Ukrainian" passport of a supposed accomplice. Like literally swiped it off Wikipedia, photo-shopped the pic and name along with some supposed blood discoloration - left the ID numbers exactly the same.
Actually it looks like the Russian troll bots fell for a 4chan trolling, because that guy looks like Sam Hyde.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2456 on: October 13, 2022, 12:08:46 AM »
If Belarus attacks Ukraine, what stops Ukraine from invading Belarus and kicking their government out of power?  I don't think Belarus can risk it - they need their guns at home, pointed at their own population.

"According to numerous publications, the suppression of the 2020 Belarusian protests was accompanied by extreme police violence, and systematic violation of human rights throughout stages of the detention process"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%932021_Belarusian_protests#Human_rights_issues

"In terms of vocabulary, the Ukrainian language is the closest to Belarusian (16% of difference), and the Russian language to Bulgarian (27% of difference)."
https://www.ukrainianlessons.com/ukrainian-and-russian-languages/

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2457 on: October 13, 2022, 02:12:42 AM »
If Belarus attacks Ukraine, what stops Ukraine from invading Belarus and kicking their government out of power?  I don't think Belarus can risk it - they need their guns at home, pointed at their own population.

"According to numerous publications, the suppression of the 2020 Belarusian protests was accompanied by extreme police violence, and systematic violation of human rights throughout stages of the detention process"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%932021_Belarusian_protests#Human_rights_issues

"In terms of vocabulary, the Ukrainian language is the closest to Belarusian (16% of difference), and the Russian language to Bulgarian (27% of difference)."
Belarus doesn't have nuclear weapons, nothing to stop Nato or some of its component countries from sorting the problem out if it invades Ukraine.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2458 on: October 13, 2022, 07:27:47 AM »

Belarus doesn't have nuclear weapons, nothing to stop Nato or some of its component countries from sorting the problem out if it invades Ukraine.

I do believe the Russians have put nukes there and there are supposed to be a buttload of Russian soldiers on their soil.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2459 on: October 13, 2022, 09:29:53 AM »

I read an account that was very specific about how the explosives were loaded on 22 pallets, shipped through Bulgaria, Armenia, and Georgia before crossing into Russia. Then apparently loaded on a truck driven by someone who didn't know they were carrying a giant bomb and it was remotely detonated on the bridge when it passed next to the train. The train had apparently been hacked to stop right at a specific location where there were also hundreds of pounds of explosives on the railroad tracks.

It all sounds way too specific for Russia have put together in a matter of days from actual investigation. So, unless they really did capture some people involved and detailed plans it sounds like a deliberate leak by Russian security services while they try to figure out what actually happened.

ministashy

• Stubble
« Reply #2460 on: October 13, 2022, 10:05:00 AM »

I do believe the Russians have put nukes there and there are supposed to be a buttload of Russian soldiers on their soil.

From what I've read, for Belarus it sounds like the bigger threat is from inside, not NATO.  Lukashenko is widely hated by his own country and he knows it - if he lets a significant part of his military (which is tiny relative to Ukraine or Russia) head into Ukraine to help Russia, it's very likely a large chunk of country might just try to depose him while he's 'distracted'.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2461 on: October 13, 2022, 11:26:40 AM »

From what I've read, for Belarus it sounds like the bigger threat is from inside, not NATO.  Lukashenko is widely hated by his own country and he knows it - if he lets a significant part of his military (which is tiny relative to Ukraine or Russia) head into Ukraine to help Russia, it's very likely a large chunk of country might just try to depose him while he's 'distracted'.
The Russians even published a picture of a different truck. And the ID card they "found" is the photoshopped Wikipedia version - but with a person known to be trolled on those things, so likely the Russian bots were trolled into that one.

I agree with Belrus. There are already (if you believe Ukraine) thousands of Belrussians fighting in their army and anti-Russian sabotage is widespread. Sending even half his army would likely end Lukashenko. If he sends the loyal half, the remainder will revolt, if he sends the unloyal half, they might say hallo to their comrades in Ukraine and come back united.
A rock and a hard place indeed. 

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2462 on: October 13, 2022, 11:55:50 AM »
I don't think NATO would invade belarus unless one of the NATO countries were also invaded or attacked in some way. It's a defensive alliance.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #2463 on: October 13, 2022, 04:42:56 PM »

Belarus is part of the Union State with Russia and an attack by NATO would trigger their military alliance, which is very similar to NATO's Article 5.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2464 on: October 13, 2022, 06:52:11 PM »

Belarus is part of the Union State with Russia and an attack by NATO would trigger their military alliance, which is very similar to NATO's Article 5.

Russia is doing squat right now about the unrest happening in the eastern eastern regions and China is apparently horning in. Just because technically an alliance is triggered doesn't mean you have the capacity to do anything about it, and it seems possible that's that case.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2465 on: October 13, 2022, 09:28:46 PM »

… the explosives were loaded on 22 pallets, shipped through Bulgaria, Armenia, and Georgia before crossing into Russia...

I read that, too. I was struck by the nonsense of the countries. So explosives originated in Bulgaria, magically jumped across Turkey to Armenia, a landlocked country in the Caucasus, then Georgia, Russia, and on to Crimea. I guess that airfreight is possible, but it seems improbable and subject to more scrutiny.

That said, someone should smuggle more high explosives out of Bulgaria and into Armenia, through Georgia, and then blow up something else.

In other news, I read a story about how the Russians are  essentially abducting and re-homing Ukrainian children. What kind of evil culture does the stuff that Russia is doing in Ukraine? If there’s a hell, a whole lot of Russians have been locking in their reservations.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2466 on: October 13, 2022, 09:37:18 PM »

… the explosives were loaded on 22 pallets, shipped through Bulgaria, Armenia, and Georgia before crossing into Russia...

I read that, too. I was struck by the nonsense of the countries. So explosives originated in Bulgaria, magically jumped across Turkey to Armenia, a landlocked country in the Caucasus, then Georgia, Russia, and on to Crimea. I guess that airfreight is possible, but it seems improbable and subject to more scrutiny.

That said, someone should smuggle more high explosives out of Bulgaria and into Armenia, through Georgia, and then blow up something else.

In other news, I read a story about how the Russians are  essentially abducting and re-homing Ukrainian children. What kind of evil culture does the stuff that Russia is doing in Ukraine? If there’s a hell, a whole lot of Russians have been locking in their reservations.

The problem is that they've been lied to so much that when they get to hell, they'll think it's heaven.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2467 on: October 13, 2022, 11:34:57 PM »
No, no, you are wrong! Those innocent children (and often their mothers, thousands fo them dispersed all over Russia) are saved from Nazism and will grow up (or give life to) strong new soldiers to defend the best country in the world!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2468 on: October 14, 2022, 01:34:46 AM »
I know you’re kidding, but it’s not funny. It just makes me sad.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2469 on: October 14, 2022, 07:17:18 AM »
No, no, you are wrong! Those innocent children (and often their mothers, thousands fo them dispersed all over Russia) are saved from Nazism and will grow up (or give life to) strong new soldiers to defend the best country in the world!

I seem to remember a group that was interesting in saving children from their oppressive and wrong thinking families.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_children_by_Nazi_Germany

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2470 on: October 14, 2022, 09:26:40 AM »

I seem to remember a group that was interesting in saving children from their oppressive and wrong thinking families.

Stealing children from families is a heinous act, and it's important to remember the answer to the question "What kind of evil culture does [that]" is: far too many, including my own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Indian_residential_school_system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generations
https://www.edweek.org/leadership/native-american-children-endured-brutal-treatment-in-u-s-boarding-schools-federal-report-shows/2022/05#:~:text=Tens%20of%20thousands%20of%20Native,U.S.%20Department%20of%20Interior%20found.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2471 on: October 14, 2022, 09:33:30 AM »

Stealing children from families is a heinous act, and it's important to remember the answer to the question "What kind of evil culture does [that]" is: far too many, including my own.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/native-american-children-endured-brutal-treatment-in-u-s-boarding-schools-federal-report-shows/2022/05#:~:text=Tens%20of%20thousands%20of%20Native,U.S.%20Department%20of%20Interior%20found.

I'm racking my brains to think of any time in history that it has been proven to be a good idea.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2472 on: October 14, 2022, 10:09:02 AM »

This has been going on since March when Russia offered the first "humanitarian corridors" out of Mariupol. Of course these were one-way tickets to disappear in Russia. Within a couple weeks, members of the Duma were openly discussing how best to transform these children into Russians. Mass deportations with the intent of erasing a cultural identity is one of the definitions of genocide.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2473 on: October 14, 2022, 10:23:11 AM »

I'm racking my brains to think of any time in history that it has been proven to be a good idea.

Stealing kids was the only bad thing I could come up with that the Canadians did a few posts back.  I mentioned they sent Native kids to school.  Looks like the Russians are outdoing them.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2474 on: October 14, 2022, 11:28:34 AM »

Stealing kids was the only bad thing I could come up with that the Canadians did a few posts back.  I mentioned they sent Native kids to school.  Looks like the Russians are outdoing them.

They weren't simply stolen, many of the kids were killed and pretty much all were horribly abused. These schools had so many dead kids that they have mass unmarked gravesites that are being uncovered with hundreds of children in them, the estimates are 3,000-6000+ dead children. Do not try to minimize how awful that is, it was straight up genocide funded and supported by the canadian government and the catholic church. They killed these kids and just dumped them in the ground. Instead, educate yourself on the horrors of Canada's residential school system and donate to support survivors, and educate others so the same thing doesn't happen again. This wasn't in the 1800s, the last residential school closed in 1997!

Bodies, unmarked graves, and potential burial sites have been identified near residential school sites across Canada since the 1970s, mainly using ground-penetrating radar. To date, the sites of unmarked graves are estimated to hold the remains of more than 1,900 previously unaccounted individuals, mostly children. However, across the entire residential school system, the number of identifiable children who are documented as having died while in their custody is over 4,100 individuals; the fourth volume of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada "identified 3,200 deaths on the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's Register of Confirmed Deaths of Named Residential School Students and the Register of Confirmed Deaths of Unnamed Residential School Students".[5] The issue of unmarked graves gained renewed attention after an anthropologist detected ground disturbances on radar at Kamloops Indian Residential School in May 2021, and concluded that these were 215 "probable burials" (this number was later revised to 200).[6][7] Several similar announcements followed over the ensuing months, leading to commemorations and protests, as well as leading to a series of arsons against Christian buildings and the 2022 "penitential" visit to Canada by Pope Francis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Indian_residential_school_gravesites
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 11:39:57 AM by sixwings »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2475 on: October 14, 2022, 02:17:27 PM »

They weren't simply stolen, many of the kids were killed and pretty much all were horribly abused. These schools had so many dead kids that they have mass unmarked gravesites that are being uncovered with hundreds of children in them, the estimates are 3,000-6000+ dead children. Do not try to minimize how awful that is, it was straight up genocide funded and supported by the canadian government and the catholic church. They killed these kids and just dumped them in the ground. Instead, educate yourself on the horrors of Canada's residential school system and donate to support survivors, and educate others so the same thing doesn't happen again. This wasn't in the 1800s, the last residential school closed in 1997!

Bodies, unmarked graves, and potential burial sites have been identified near residential school sites across Canada since the 1970s, mainly using ground-penetrating radar. To date, the sites of unmarked graves are estimated to hold the remains of more than 1,900 previously unaccounted individuals, mostly children. However, across the entire residential school system, the number of identifiable children who are documented as having died while in their custody is over 4,100 individuals; the fourth volume of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada "identified 3,200 deaths on the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's Register of Confirmed Deaths of Named Residential School Students and the Register of Confirmed Deaths of Unnamed Residential School Students".[5] The issue of unmarked graves gained renewed attention after an anthropologist detected ground disturbances on radar at Kamloops Indian Residential School in May 2021, and concluded that these were 215 "probable burials" (this number was later revised to 200).[6][7] Several similar announcements followed over the ensuing months, leading to commemorations and protests, as well as leading to a series of arsons against Christian buildings and the 2022 "penitential" visit to Canada by Pope Francis.

It cannot be overstated how bad the residential school system was in Canada.  The abuse and horrors endured at these schools didn't just hurt a whole generation of native people, but it ended up causing all sorts of problems for their kids too.  It damaged their ability to reintegrate with their communities, radically spiked drug and alcohol use, engendered a (well earned) distrust of government officials . . . the list goes on and on.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2476 on: October 14, 2022, 03:08:35 PM »

It cannot be overstated how bad the residential school system was in Canada.  The abuse and horrors endured at these schools didn't just hurt a whole generation of native people, but it ended up causing all sorts of problems for their kids too.  It damaged their ability to reintegrate with their communities, radically spiked drug and alcohol use, engendered a (well earned) distrust of government officials . . . the list goes on and on.

I should read up on it.  However, they don't do it now and obviously there is a sort of guilt that many Canadians feel.  How about those Russians?  They have done this type of thing for generations to many ethnic groups / natives.  They still do it.  They send poor Asians to die in a form of double genocide against the Ukrainians.  They abduct their children.  Is there any National guilt in that land?

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2477 on: October 14, 2022, 03:40:59 PM »
More on RU logistics disrupted by damage to the Kerch railway bridge:

interesting analysis of the 🇷🇺 logistics in the south by the 🇷🇺 military researcher Atomic Cherry. They show that 🇷🇺 relied heavily on the Crimean bridge and the damage to it will have long-lasting consequences given the lack of alternatives to supply south:

At the same time, the condition of the bridge itself is currently unclear.
Due to the peculiarities of its design made out of full-metal ballast troughs, the burning out of 450 tons of diesel fuel, followed by extinguishing with cold sea water, could seriously damage the integrity of the structure.
In a word, the true consequences of what happened to the bridge are just beginning to manifest themselves at least on a somewhat full scale . What they will eventually result in will become clear over the next 3-4 weeks."

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1581023172346118144.html

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2478 on: October 14, 2022, 07:07:21 PM »

Not to minimize the bad things that happened, but many of those graves were marked - it's just that they were usually marked with a wooden cross which in most cases have long since rotted away. Burying the dead is one of the corporal works of mercy and whatever feelings you may have against the Catholic Church, it's not like children were being systematically murdered en masse and tossed into a mass grave ala the Holocaust or other cases of genocide. Some of those children died of natural causes and were buried in cemeteries near the school. We'll never know how many died from abuse or neglect vs. getting sick, etc. But it certainly wasn't all of them. These thousands of deaths occurred over multiple decades at numerous locations.

From the Wikipedia entry:

On June 30, 2021, the leadership of ʔaq̓am (a member of the Ktunaxa Nation) announced that 182 unmarked grave sites had been identified in a cemetery in their community adjacent to the site of the former St. Eugene's Mission Residential School.[27] During remedial work around the cemetery in 2020, they came upon an "unknown and unmarked grave", and set about to use ground-penetrating radar to identify additional unmarked graves. The graves were marked with wooden crosses which eventually burned or rotted away, resulting in them being unmarked.[64]

The graveyard dates to 1865, before the construction of the school, and has been continuously used for burials by the local settler and indigenous community, including for the St. Eugene Hospital, which operated from 1874 to 1899. The residential school was in operation from 1912 to 1970, and a press release from the First Nation stated that, due to the site's history, it is "extremely difficult to establish whether or not these unmarked graves contain the remains of children who attended the St. Eugene Residential School".[65][64]

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2479 on: October 14, 2022, 07:31:26 PM »

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2480 on: October 15, 2022, 04:16:32 PM »
The Kremlin is silencing ultranationalist milbloggers while RU losses in southern Ukraine are escalating as are logistical problems and mounting casualties among newly mobilized civilians - that's how bad things look from their perspective.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #2481 on: October 15, 2022, 05:04:27 PM »
https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/how-the-crimean-bridge-explosion-caused-multiple-spans-to-collapse-11-10-2022/ Looks like the Crimea Bridge attack was very well planned and executed. I would have just said that every span was independent, but it seems they were in groups of four and the explosion managed to take out four spans and a fuel train at the same time. It is one of the most effective single explosions in history I'd say. I'm sure there have been several, but probably top ten. Ironically if the Russians don't repair the rail bridge we won't know for along time if it is too seriously damaged to have any chance to pass a train, or they are just incompetent.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2482 on: October 15, 2022, 06:26:27 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2022/10/15/1129321544/russia-soldiers-shooting-training-belgorod

I'm no expert on this, but I haven't previously heard of shootings like this in Russia. Civil unrest maybe?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2483 on: October 15, 2022, 06:51:06 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2022/10/15/1129321544/russia-soldiers-shooting-training-belgorod

I'm no expert on this, but I haven't previously heard of shootings like this in Russia. Civil unrest maybe?

The mobilization has been hugely unpopular. Constant stories of crap equipment or no equipment being issued out, mobilized troops getting no training, uncaring leadership telling them to their faces that they're fodder, but there's plenty of alcohol available. Rub these factors together, give everyone live ammo, and somebody was going to snap.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2484 on: October 16, 2022, 12:46:38 PM »

The mobilization has been hugely unpopular. Constant stories of crap equipment or no equipment being issued out, mobilized troops getting no training, uncaring leadership telling them to their faces that they're fodder, but there's plenty of alcohol available. Rub these factors together, give everyone live ammo, and somebody was going to snap.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/10/16/russia-mobilization-men/

Yeah, the mobilization might massively backfire on Putin.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2485 on: October 16, 2022, 01:09:13 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/10/16/russia-mobilization-men/

Yeah, the mobilization might massively backfire on Putin.

Grim conditions at the front for the mobiks:

Dmitri
@wartranslated
This intercepted call reveals how defensive lines operate for the Russians: first in the line are convicts guarded by mobiks in the second line, who are in turn guarded by regular forces.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1581601563432603648

Edit:
transcript:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1581607312665427968.html
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 01:43:47 PM by PeteD01 »

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #2486 on: October 16, 2022, 01:28:36 PM »

The problem is that they've been lied to so much that when they get to hell, they'll think it's heaven.
Now that is a great and spot on quote.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2487 on: October 17, 2022, 10:23:07 AM »
Putin " I want to sit down and talk about a resolution" while sending kamikaze drones into Kiev. Classic Putin.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2488 on: October 17, 2022, 11:30:24 AM »
Putin " I want to sit down and talk about a resolution" while sending kamikaze drones into Kiev. Classic Putin.

I guess it means that he really doesn't want to talk.

There seems to be kind of a blackout on battle news.  I think Ukraine is making a big push in Kherson.  Russians have taken their bosses out of the area which is a good indication.  However, they hold to their principles (or lack thereof) as this story demonstrates.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/16/russian-troops-kill-ukrainian-musician-yuriy-kerpatenko-for-refusing-role-in-kherson-concert

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2489 on: October 17, 2022, 12:03:05 PM »
The last time Ukraine had this sort of media blackout, they had telegraphed (for several weeks!) that a big offensive was coming in Kherson.  Instead, that's when they hit hard in the Kharkiv region and took Kupyansk, Izyum, and Lyman.

Personally, I don't think Kherson is going to get hit this time, either.  From what I've heard, Russia has their strongest defenses there, including building concrete fortifications and the greater density of personnel. 
A few other options:
1) With the Kerch Strait bridge still out of action, a drive to Melitopol would cut off all of the Russian armed forces in the Kherson region from any resupply or reinforcement.  At 55 miles to the bay, that might be too big of a bite to take. 
2) A 35-mile drive down the west bank of the Dnieper river to Nova Kakhovka would cut off the Russian's only permanent supply line (over the dam), but I'm guessing the Russians recognize that vulnerability as well and have dug in appropriately.
3) A big push to isolate/recapture Svatove and Kreminna?  That distance is much shorter, and (again, from what I've heard) Russia's forces are far more sparse there than in Kherson.  That's a big juicy resupply route for Russian forces in the northeast.  It's not as glorious as the other two options, and the Russians have had a few weeks reprieve to dig in.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2490 on: October 17, 2022, 12:16:34 PM »

Toots wasn’t surprised by the atrocities committed in Bucha. Nor were any other of the counterintelligence agents I interviewed in Estonia, Latvia, or Lithuania. They’re aware of how Russians conducted themselves in the Baltics during the Second World War. Of how they conducted themselves before that. Of how they’ve always behaved. The West lacks such awareness.

„[The West is] fortunate,“ Toots remarks. „We’re a buffer between them and Russia. They’ve forgotten a lot and think Russia is just like them.“

The quote above is from an estonian interview with some baltic intelligence officers.  Very interesting read.

https://ekspress.delfi.ee/artikkel/120083694/human-life-has-no-value-there-baltic-counterintelligence-officers-speak-candidly-about-russian-cruelty

(the page layout is a bit messy but the reading mode of the Edge web browser actually cleaned it up nicely).

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2491 on: October 17, 2022, 05:13:13 PM »
Good read:

Principled legal, moral, and ethical considerations require supporting Ukraine’s efforts to regain its lost lands and people and should not be dismissed. The aim of this essay has been to show that purely military realities and strategic considerations lead to the same conclusion. If Ukraine is to emerge from this war able to defend itself against a future Russian attack and with a viable economy that does not rely on long-term international financial support, it must liberate almost all its territory.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-october-16
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 05:34:46 PM by PeteD01 »

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2492 on: October 17, 2022, 05:29:20 PM »

Toots wasn’t surprised by the atrocities committed in Bucha. Nor were any other of the counterintelligence agents I interviewed in Estonia, Latvia, or Lithuania. They’re aware of how Russians conducted themselves in the Baltics during the Second World War. Of how they conducted themselves before that. Of how they’ve always behaved. The West lacks such awareness.

„[The West is] fortunate,“ Toots remarks. „We’re a buffer between them and Russia. They’ve forgotten a lot and think Russia is just like them.“

The quote above is from an estonian interview with some baltic intelligence officers.  Very interesting read.

https://ekspress.delfi.ee/artikkel/120083694/human-life-has-no-value-there-baltic-counterintelligence-officers-speak-candidly-about-russian-cruelty

(the page layout is a bit messy but the reading mode of the Edge web browser actually cleaned it up nicely).

Very interesting article.  It emphasizes that the Russian culture is quite different. From the article:

For Russia, both sides winning equals a loss,“ remarks an Estonian entrepreneur who has organized complex business transactions with Russians for decades. „They need for there to always be winners and losers, even when negotiating.“ And only they may come out on top.

„There, diplomacy is a sign of weakness,“ says Mežviets. „Russia only recognizes force. It’s hard for the West to understand, as Westerners hold different values and believe that others do as well.“

Jauniškis compares contemporary Russian society to the medieval Mongols. Though Lithuania once joined forces with Russian princes to counter the Mongolian hordes, he feels that Russia switched sides given the behavior of its officers and soldiers alike. „They’re animals,“ he frankly states.

This article helps make the recent behavior of Russians make sense.  It's hard to figure how it can just be one crazy guy at the top allowing all this evil to happen.  The Russians have done some nasty stuff throughout the years and the article says they've never really had to come to terms with their brutal actions.  It wasn't in the article but I've read elsewhere that the Russians sort of see themselves as the successors of the ancient Romans.  They aren't into the Capitalism thing as much as the conquering thing.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2493 on: October 17, 2022, 06:02:28 PM »

Very interesting article.  It emphasizes that the Russian culture is quite different. From the article:

For Russia, both sides winning equals a loss,“ remarks an Estonian entrepreneur who has organized complex business transactions with Russians for decades. „They need for there to always be winners and losers, even when negotiating.“ And only they may come out on top.

„There, diplomacy is a sign of weakness,“ says Mežviets. „Russia only recognizes force. It’s hard for the West to understand, as Westerners hold different values and believe that others do as well.“

Jauniškis compares contemporary Russian society to the medieval Mongols. Though Lithuania once joined forces with Russian princes to counter the Mongolian hordes, he feels that Russia switched sides given the behavior of its officers and soldiers alike. „They’re animals,“ he frankly states.

This article helps make the recent behavior of Russians make sense.  It's hard to figure how it can just be one crazy guy at the top allowing all this evil to happen.  The Russians have done some nasty stuff throughout the years and the article says they've never really had to come to terms with their brutal actions.  It wasn't in the article but I've read elsewhere that the Russians sort of see themselves as the successors of the ancient Romans.  They aren't into the Capitalism thing as much as the conquering thing.

Yes.  It's not "Putin's war".  It's Russia's war. 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2494 on: October 18, 2022, 04:19:10 AM »
No, as before he is open to talks. Ukraine only needs to stop fighting, kick Selensky out and remove all trops from the annexed land. Then peace talks are no problem at all.

1) With the Kerch Strait bridge still out of action, a drive to Melitopol would cut off all of the Russian armed forces in the Kherson region from any resupply or reinforcement.  At 55 miles to the bay, that might be too big of a bite to take.
Right when the counterattack started I wrote that it looks like Ukraine is trying to 3-split the the Russian territory (to make supply even harder) according to where the fights happened. A south part, a north part and an east part. They already took (most of) the north part.
One of the prime targets for such a wedge is Melitupol. It is the most likely target now, including for PR, but of course the Russians know that too. If Melitupol is taken, it will become impossible to hold the south if the bridge is taken down. And after the South is taken back, it's time for the East, attacked from 2 sides.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2495 on: October 18, 2022, 08:13:44 AM »
No, as before he is open to talks. Ukraine only needs to stop fighting, kick Selensky out and remove all trops from the annexed land. Then peace talks are no problem at all.

Right when the counterattack started I wrote that it looks like Ukraine is trying to 3-split the the Russian territory (to make supply even harder) according to where the fights happened. A south part, a north part and an east part. They already took (most of) the north part.
One of the prime targets for such a wedge is Melitupol. It is the most likely target now, including for PR, but of course the Russians know that too. If Melitupol is taken, it will become impossible to hold the south if the bridge is taken down. And after the South is taken back, it's time for the East, attacked from 2 sides.

None of it is Russian territory.  It is all part of Ukraine.  Russian invaders merely hold the land.  They now threaten nuclear war over that land.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2496 on: October 18, 2022, 08:35:21 AM »

None of it is Russian territory.  It is all part of Ukraine.  Russian invaders merely hold the land.  They now threaten nuclear war over that land.
Perhaps "Russian-held territory" would have been a more correct term?

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2497 on: October 18, 2022, 03:53:09 PM »
There is no reason to panic, none at all:

Francis Scarr
@francis_scarr
In a late-night address posted on Telegram, Russian-installed Kherson official Kirill Stremousov calls for people to "evacuate the city as quickly as possible" and says Ukraine "will begin an offensive on the city of Kherson very soon"

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1582472381519781888

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2498 on: October 18, 2022, 03:57:19 PM »

Francis Scarr
@francis_scarr
In a late-night address posted on Telegram, Russian-installed Kherson official Kirill Stremousov calls for people to "evacuate the city as quickly as possible" and says Ukraine "will begin an offensive on the city of Kherson very soon"

Hearing such things makes me *really* hope that Kherson is once again a feint and that Russia is once again falling for it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2499 on: October 18, 2022, 05:38:54 PM »

Francis Scarr
@francis_scarr

Hearing such things makes me *really* hope that Kherson is once again a feint and that Russia is once again falling for it.

The Ukrainians have shown, repeatedly and consistently that two facts are true:
1. They understand Russia
2. They are the masters of trolling Russia.

Them trolling Russia over Kherson I can easily believe. We'll see what happens.