Author Topic: Ukraine  (Read 559837 times)

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Ukraine
« Reply #150 on: February 27, 2022, 01:29:27 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1497573395508174856

How are these convoys getting destroyed? Abandoned by the Russians for lack of fuel and torched by Ukrainian infantry? Taken out by airstrike? Ambushed by irregulars with molotovs?
It seems remarkable that Russia is allowing this to happen.

Russia most certainly is not "allowing" this to happen - they happen to be in a position where they cannot prevent it from happening.
What we are seeing is the hidden rot of the Russian military now exposed for all to see.

Which is only making it more embarrassing for Putin...which in turn makes me more nervous that he'll do something stupid out of embarrassment. I hope I'm wrong.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: February 27, 2022, 01:32:20 PM »

How are these convoys getting destroyed? Abandoned by the Russians for lack of fuel and torched by Ukrainian infantry? Taken out by airstrike? Ambushed by irregulars with molotovs?

Probably "all of the above." The Ukrainians have Skif (ATGM), FGM-148 Javelin, and MBT LAW anti-tank missiles. They also have Soviet-era RPG-7s and an airforce that is so far still operational. Not to mention artillery and their own tanks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 01:43:38 PM by PDXTabs »

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2022, 01:35:48 PM »
Considering that Putin was “in talks” right up until the moment he started this war, I wouldn’t hold my breath that his current agreement to more talks means anything at all.  In fact, given his directions re nuclear weapons, I’m fearful that this is another ruse to appear reasonable, and distract, while he’s pushing the button.  Hope to god I’m wrong.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: February 27, 2022, 01:50:43 PM »
Considering that Putin was “in talks” right up until the moment he started this war, I wouldn’t hold my breath that his current agreement to more talks means anything at all.  In fact, given his directions re nuclear weapons, I’m fearful that this is another ruse to appear reasonable, and distract, while he’s pushing the button.  Hope to god I’m wrong.

Maybe - even if he gave the order that more sane Russians below him may just tell him "Nyet."  I sure hope so.  I remember there was this concern about Trump.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2022, 03:59:45 PM »

It seems remarkable that Russia is allowing this to happen.

Ukraine has lots of anti-tank guided missiles (ATGMs) provided by the US and Europe (plus their own production). They also have Turkish UAVs like the TB2. Those were used very successfully in the most recent Nagorno-Karabakh war between Azerbaijan and Armenia. The Turkish-backed Azeris handily defeated the Russian-backed Armenians with heavy use of these UAVs.

The Russians have fallen into the trap of just driving convoys along the roads at relatively high speed which means they're very vulnerable to attack. Armored vehicles need to be used in combination with infantry to keep enemy Soldiers with ATGMs at a distance. The tanks and armored personnel carriers provide long-range firepower and the infantry provide close in protection. The US made the same mistake in the Korean War and the Russians did this in Afghanistan back in the 1980s.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2022, 04:29:04 PM »

Probably "all of the above." The Ukrainians have Skif (ATGM), FGM-148 Javelin, and MBT LAW anti-tank missiles. They also have Soviet-era RPG-7s and an airforce that is so far still operational. Not to mention artillery and their own tanks.

Anti-armor teams in urban terrain are devastating when the enemy isn't bothering with infantry support for that armor. The countryside should be swarming with Russian infantry, but there isn't any.  They're sticking to the highways and either getting in traffic jams or running out of fuel. If the Ukrainian air force was a little bit bigger we'd see Desert Storm levels of destroyed vehicles on the roads.  It really feels like the Russian army just didn't show up for this one. Nearly every POW has stated they thought they were either on a training exercise or liberating the country and didn't expect a fight. Whole scout platoons have been wiped out to a man for lack of artillery or air support. Russian special forces were filmed looting a grocery store for lack of food, and last night a Russian tank driver was arrested because he walked to a police station to ask for fuel. Ukrainian government is feeding their prisoners and letting them call their mothers. The consensus from home appears to be bewilderment. Russian state media is calling this a "limited defensive operation" that has taken no casualties. Ukrainian officials are taking credit for 5,000 dead, 200 POWs, 20 aircraft, and several hundred vehicles of all shapes and sizes. I haven't been able to confirm it yet, but I caught a headline that Putin fired General Gerasimov, who was the architect of every Russian operation for the last 10 years.

Russian citizens woke up this morning to their currency's value being cut in half. There's a run on ATMs in Moscow. Apparently this operation is costing enough that the government will go broke if it doesn't end in the next two weeks (and that's before sanctions).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 04:32:20 PM by Travis »

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2022, 04:40:13 PM »
Do you notice how much of the Ukrainian communication/propaganda is aimed at Russian mothers? According to some Polish people I talked to, there is a theory that mothers of soldiers are the ones who might be able to turn the Russian public opinion on the war.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2022, 04:46:06 PM »

Maybe - even if he gave the order that more sane Russians below him may just tell him "Nyet."  I sure hope so.  I remember there was this concern about Trump.

I hope so too. I'm certain that he didn't expect to still be fighting today, and he's not going to take failure well.

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: February 27, 2022, 05:39:25 PM »
Do you notice how much of the Ukrainian communication/propaganda is aimed at Russian mothers? According to some Polish people I talked to, there is a theory that mothers of soldiers are the ones who might be able to turn the Russian public opinion on the war.

There is literally an NGO around this exact issue that was formed back when the Soviet Union was fighting in Afghanistan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_the_Committees_of_Soldiers%27_Mothers_of_Russia

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #159 on: February 27, 2022, 06:47:22 PM »
Nearly every POW has stated they thought they were either on a training exercise or liberating the country and didn't expect a fight.

Indeed, this is the most embarrassing one I've seen yet. But there is some survivorship bias here. You don't see the videos of the Spetsnaz, presumably because they didn't surrender. I've seen some speculation among US combat veterans that Putin didn't send his A-team, but that Russia does (somewhere) have an A-team. In fact Russia has north of 10k Spetsnaz soldiers.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2022, 06:52:26 PM »
It kind of amazes me that Russian soldiers, or any Russian, for that matter, believe anything the government tells them.  You would think they’d know better by now.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2022, 06:53:48 PM »
It kind of amazes me that Russian soldiers, or any Russian, for that matter, believe anything the government tells them.  You would think they’d know better by now.

Some of these guys are 18 year old conscripts.

BNgarden

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2022, 07:12:26 PM »

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2022, 08:00:13 PM »
Well at least this is funny:
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1497485623225200640
Ukrainian passer-by offers out-of-gas Russians a tow back to Russia (full translation available in the comments)

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2022, 08:10:11 PM »
Interesting thread (long):
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1497993363076915204.html

Good writing and videos.  The videos showed Ukrainians are inflicting a lot of damage.  One thing the author did not mention is demographics.  Russia has a shrinking population.  They have relatively less people available to wage war than they used to.

Those Ukrainians were certainly smart.  To have the young soldiers call their moms has a real ripple effect.  It is a definite PR problem for Putin.

Then you have this brave man, Zelenskyy out in the open and I guess Putin is hiding in the Urals.  It makes him look bad.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2022, 08:37:38 PM »
It seems that countries are willing to send pretty much anything to Ukraine to help, except active troops (for obvious reasons). Case in point: fighter jets.

https://www.barrons.com/news/eu-countries-to-send-fighter-jets-to-ukraine-borrell-01645994409

Let's hope a few extra planes help them out.

Speaking of planes.... the rumors of the Ghost of Kyiv have slightly resurged (mostly war propaganda). Regardless, let's hope their air force does well.
https://twitter.com/poroshenko/status/1497293195763408905 <---- the poster is the former president of Ukraine, but the picture traces to an old pic on the Ukrainian FB page when they stated they were testing a new helmet.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2022, 08:46:58 PM »
Nearly every POW has stated they thought they were either on a training exercise or liberating the country and didn't expect a fight.

Indeed, this is the most embarrassing one I've seen yet. But there is some survivorship bias here. You don't see the videos of the Spetsnaz, presumably because they didn't surrender. I've seen some speculation among US combat veterans that Putin didn't send his A-team, but that Russia does (somewhere) have an A-team. In fact Russia has north of 10k Spetsnaz soldiers.

Elements of the "A Team" were sent in ahead of time disguised in Ukrainian uniforms to conduct sabotage and mark targets for the Russian air force. They've been battled and captured in large numbers as well. There's a photo out there of a dozen laying down handcuffed with their weapons in a pile.

Zelevsky agreed to begin negotiations on the Belarussian border. Two hours later Belarus decided to join the war. As I type this their aircraft are attacking.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2022, 10:17:13 PM »
At what point does Putin get so spooked by the Russians’ defeat that he launched a nuke at someone? Hopefully the people around him can intervene before this spreads. It’s so irrational I fear it could get out of control even with a careful response from Ukraine and NATO. 

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2022, 10:56:09 PM »
Somehow I came across this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG1fuhKwXVA

Interesting perspective on alternative facts. I know nothing about the nazi assertions made by Putin or the history of what's going on in eastern Ukraine. And, of course this video could be 100% lies and fabricated. But, thought I'd share here because it's clear many of you have a great understanding of what's going on.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2022, 11:24:01 PM »

Interesting perspective on alternative facts. I know nothing about the nazi assertions made by Putin or the history of what's going on in eastern Ukraine. And, of course this video could be 100% lies and fabricated. But, thought I'd share here because it's clear many of you have a great understanding of what's going on.

A single battalion of the Ukrainian army from the eastern region self-identifies as neo-Nazi. So that's less than 1,000 people out of 40 million. Putin calls the government "Nazi" even though President Zelevsky is Jewish and most of his male relatives died in concentration camps.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2022, 11:25:05 PM »

I don't know everything about this, obviously. I will say that when the 2014 war started they took whoever they could get, and Azov Battalion was one of those groups. But one of the conditions of US military aid was to get the irregular forces out of combat and so they were supposedly absorbed into the Ukrainian military and de-politicized.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 11:28:15 PM by PDXTabs »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2022, 12:22:23 AM »
We have our own neo-Nazis in the USA, including some in the military.  Does that give Putin the right to declare war on us?

We need to stop judging by the extremes and look for common ground.  Just as we in the USA have more in common than our differences, Russians and Ukrainians share much in common.  It's disconcerting that a demagogue can take a nation over the edge.  We are still on the edge, even with all our checks and balances.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2022, 12:34:55 AM »

I don't know everything about this, obviously. I will say that when the 2014 war started they took whoever they could get, and Azov Battalion was one of those groups. But one of the conditions of US military aid was to get the irregular forces out of combat and so they were supposedly absorbed into the Ukrainian military and de-politicized.

Putin's war justifications have been straight out of Hitler's playbook for the last 20 years. The Chechens won their autonomy in 1995, but then Putin came to power and the Chechens started blowing up stuff left and right for some reason. Putin sends the army back in and burns Grozny to the ground killing tens of thousands on both sides, with most of the Russian casualties dying from "training accidents." In 2008 he sent the army in to annex South Ossetia and save the Russians living there from those mean old Georgians who were interested in NATO. He took Crimea because "its really Russia" and staged a vote to legitimize it the next day. Shortly thereafter eastern Ukraine rebels using Russian weapons, Russian advisors, and Russian troops to save those oppressed Russians living there. And here we are today. All of Ukraine apparently needs to be overthrown because of some Nazi menace. It's a good thing Vladimir Putin is around to come to the rescue of all these persecuted Russians, isn't it?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2022, 03:05:05 AM »
So it does look like there may be at least a shred of truth to Putin's Neo-Nazi claim.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/10/azov-far-right-fighters-ukraine-neo-nazis

Edit, and maybe also the drug-addict one too:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/05/ukraine-president-takes-up-comedians-drug-test-challenge

The Ukrainian President is Jewish, and his great-grandfather and three great-uncles were murdered in the Holocaust. It would be like claiming that the US is run by neo-Nazis and our government should be overthrown because we have active domestic terrorist groups that march with swastikas and other symbols of white nationalism.
"In 1991, Svoboda was founded as the Social-National Party of Ukraine.[65] The party combined radical nationalism and neo-Nazi features.[66][67][68] It was renamed and rebranded 13 years later as All-Ukrainian Association Svoboda in 2004 under Oleh Tyahnybok. In 2016, The Nation reported that "in Ukrainian municipal elections held [in October 2015], the neo-Nazi Svoboda party won 10 percent of the vote in Kiev and placed second in Lviv. The Svoboda party's candidate actually won the mayoral election in the city of Konotop."[69] The Svoboda party mayor in Konotop reportedly has the number "14/88" displayed on his car and has refused to display the city's official flag because it contains a star of David, and has implied that Jews were responsible for the Holodomor.[66]

The topic of Ukrainian nationalism and its alleged relationship to neo-Nazism came to the fore in polemics about the more radical elements involved in the Euromaidan protests and subsequent Russo-Ukrainian War from 2013 onward.[68] Some Russian, Latin American, U.S. and Israeli media have attempted to portray the Ukrainian nationalists in the conflict as neo-Nazi.[70] The main Ukrainian organisations involved with a neo-Banderaite legacy are Right Sector,[71] Svoboda and Azov Battalion. The persons regarded as Ukraine's national heroes—Stepan Bandera, Roman Shukhevych or Dmytro Klyachkivsky of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN) and Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA)—at times supported and then opposed the presence of the Third Reich in Ukraine.[72][73] "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Nazism#Ukraine
"In the early 2010s Jewish organizations in and outside of Ukraine have accused the political party All-Ukrainian Union "Svoboda" of open Nazi sympathies and being antisemitic.[25] In May 2013 the World Jewish Congress listed the party as neo-Nazi.[26] "Svoboda" itself has denied being antisemitic.[27] In the 2012 Ukrainian parliamentary elections "Svoboda" won its first seats in the Ukrainian Parliament,[28] garnering 10.44% of the popular vote and the 4th most seats among national political parties.[29] In the 2014 Ukrainian parliamentary elections the party got 6 parliamentary seats (it won 4.71% of the popular vote in this election).[30] In the 2019 Ukrainian parliamentary election other parties joined Svoboda to form a united party list, these were the Governmental Initiative of Yarosh, Right Sector and National Corps.[31] But in the election this combination won 2.15% of the votes, less than half of the 5% election threshold, and thus no parliamentary seats via the national party list.[32] Svoboda itself did win one constituency seat, in Ivano-Frankivsk.[32][33]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism_in_Ukraine

Bandera cultivated German military circles favorable to Ukrainian independence, and organized OUN expeditionary groups. When Nazi Germany invaded the Soviet Union, he prepared the 30 June 1941 Proclamation of Ukrainian statehood in Lviv, pledging to work with Nazi Germany.[4][5] For his refusal to rescind the decree, Bandera was arrested by the Gestapo, which put him under house arrest on 5 July 1941,[6] and later between 1942 and 1943[7] sent him to the Sachsenhausen concentration camp.[8] In 1944, with Germany rapidly losing ground in the war in the face of the advancing Allied armies, Bandera was released in the hope that he would be instrumental in deterring the advancing Soviet forces. He set up the headquarters of the re-established Ukrainian Supreme Liberation Council, which worked underground. He settled with his family in West Germany where he remained the leader of the OUN-B and worked with several anti-communist organizations such as the Anti-Bolshevik Bloc of Nations[9][10] as well as with the British intelligence agencies.[9] Fourteen years after the end of the war, Bandera was assassinated in 1959 by KGB agents in Munich.[11][12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepan_Bandera

All European countries have neo nazi groups, in the same way the US deals with white supremacists everywhere. Russia by the way also has plenty of neo nazi's. Fortunately these groups are only small political minorities. By that logic Putin could invade every single country in Europe.

And with regards to the Republics in Eastern Ukraine, under international law they had no right to declare themselves independent in the first place, so Ukraine had every right to try to gain control over their territory again. Imagine what would happen if an American state would declare themselves independent, unilaterally. Actually, we've seen what happened. The American president did exactly what the president of Ukraine is doing now. Trying to control their own territory again.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2022, 05:23:16 AM »
All European countries have neo nazi groups, in the same way the US deals with white supremacists everywhere. Russia by the way also has plenty of neo nazi's. Fortunately these groups are only small political minorities. By that logic Putin could invade every single country in Europe.

If he's successful in Ukraine, we may see him use exactly that logic to invade the Baltics.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2022, 05:46:40 AM »

If he's successful in Ukraine, we may see him use exactly that logic to invade the Baltics.

That logic would allow him to invade both the US and Canada. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2022, 06:13:45 AM »
New video up on Zelensky's FB page. Summary:

1. They survived the night (that was my reaction!)
2. They're asking to be admitted to the EU
3. Appeal to Russian people
4. They're releasing some prisoners who have relevant experience and are letting them fight.

Probably missed some, I'm trying to eat breakfast at the same time.

From other things I've seen briefly, it appears that a couple cities are under Russian control now.

@kenmoremmm I know nothing either. I'm just trying to follow along, hoping Ukraine survives every day, hoping Russia doesn't use nukes, and trying to learn more. And being very careful with my sources, being very skeptical of what I see.

Edit: And a hacker group based in Belarus is claiming to have hacked and stopped some trains to slow down the Russians. They said the computers were Windows XP. If you scroll down the comments, my impression is that other hackers are going to be joining that party because Windows XP.... is old, known, and therefore, easily hacked.
https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1498143865894752259
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 06:20:02 AM by Sibley »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2022, 06:39:13 AM »
New video up on Zelensky's FB page. Summary:

1. They survived the night (that was my reaction!)
2. They're asking to be admitted to the EU
3. Appeal to Russian people
4. They're releasing some prisoners who have relevant experience and are letting them fight.

Probably missed some, I'm trying to eat breakfast at the same time.

From other things I've seen briefly, it appears that a couple cities are under Russian control now.

@kenmoremmm I know nothing either. I'm just trying to follow along, hoping Ukraine survives every day, hoping Russia doesn't use nukes, and trying to learn more. And being very careful with my sources, being very skeptical of what I see.

Edit: And a hacker group based in Belarus is claiming to have hacked and stopped some trains to slow down the Russians. They said the computers were Windows XP. If you scroll down the comments, my impression is that other hackers are going to be joining that party because Windows XP.... is old, known, and therefore, easily hacked.
https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1498143865894752259

There's that Soviet technological superiority. Jesus. Windows XP was old 10 years ago when I had to deal with it on lab computers.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2022, 06:47:59 AM »
EU is offering membership to Ukraine.

Hackers found several Russian military radio frequencies because the idiots are transmitting in the clear.

Putin is done trying to preserve Ukrainian infrastructure. BM-30 SMERCH strike into a Kharkov apartment block about an hour ago.

https://twitter.com/YWNReporter/status/1498271572292952064?s=20&t=KXLkE4_FXvpdFTG-f6HvVA

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2022, 06:49:25 AM »
Some people in this country believe that Trump won the election and Jan 6 was a legitimate political discourse. If you control the media you control what people believe.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2022, 06:50:12 AM »
Let us not forget that Ukraine has several hundred thousand (400k?) veteran reservists with relatively recent combat experience and I understand that 100k have just been called up.
Together with dramatically increased weapons imports from the EU, this translates to a rapidly growing threat for Putin´s military.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 06:53:36 AM by PeteD01 »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2022, 07:24:10 AM »
Well at least this is funny:
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1497485623225200640
Ukrainian passer-by offers out-of-gas Russians a tow back to Russia (full translation available in the comments)

I'll need to look for the video but the Russians were spooked by a Ukranian museum tank on display at a war memorial and opened fire on it as they raced through town.

Wonder if the Russian soldiers are feeling a bit cynical about now?

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2022, 09:17:23 AM »
Together with dramatically increased weapons imports from the EU, this translates to a rapidly growing threat for Putin´s military.

If the Ukrainian estimates are correct, more Russian soldiers have now been killed in a few days than the USA and it's coalition partners lost over almost two decades in Iraq.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2022, 09:30:31 AM »
EU is offering membership to Ukraine.

I hope that they get it, but it takes unanimous consent and usually a multi-year on-boarding process.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2022, 09:54:21 AM »
Just read a headline that Zelensky signed the application for membership...think they may fast-track this one

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2022, 10:24:27 AM »
Just read a headline that Zelensky signed the application for membership...think they may fast-track this one
"Indeed over time, they belong to us. They are one of us and we want them in," von der Leyen told Euronews. - Reuters: EU chief says bloc wants Ukraine as member

There are actually a bunch of metrics for being admitted. Not having ongoing border disputes and roving bands of armed militia are a couple of them. Don't get me wrong, if I were in charge they'd be admitted, but I'm concerned that this is like that NATO promise that never materialized.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2022, 10:59:09 AM »
"Indeed over time, they belong to us. They are one of us and we want them in," von der Leyen told Euronews. - Reuters: EU chief says bloc wants Ukraine as member

There are actually a bunch of metrics for being admitted. Not having ongoing border disputes and roving bands of armed militia are a couple of them. Don't get me wrong, if I were in charge they'd be admitted, but I'm concerned that this is like that NATO promise that never materialized.
The territorial issues can be worked around, as they were when Cyprus was admitted.  It's a question of political will, and the good will for Ukraine in Europe is there at the moment- Putin bringing a hot war to the borders of the EU has concentrated minds wonderfully.

It's interesting that it is the EU that is taking the lead in the international response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine and that after the first day or so the USA has been relatively passive, and a follower not a leader.  This could be a turning point in the world order.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2022, 11:09:02 AM »

The territorial issues can be worked around, as they were when Cyprus was admitted.  It's a question of political will, and the good will for Ukraine in Europe is there at the moment- Putin bringing a hot war to the borders of the EU has concentrated minds wonderfully.

It's interesting that it is the EU that is taking the lead in the international response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine and that after the first day or so the USA has been relatively passive, and a follower not a leader.  This could be a turning point in the world order.
This seems like good strategy. Having the USA as the lead in opposition to Putin plays into the propaganda and converts Ukraine into a proxy war. Regardless, I see a strong and unified EU as a good thing.

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2022, 12:06:26 PM »
Given that there is an EU mutual defense clause, if they admitted Ukraine the other countries would be obliged to take up arms against Russia. I don't think there is any way in hell they would do that. It would be an enormous escalation.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2022, 12:47:14 PM »
Given that there is an EU mutual defense clause, if they admitted Ukraine the other countries would be obliged to take up arms against Russia. I don't think there is any way in hell they would do that. It would be an enormous escalation.

If Ukraine is able to do as well with Russia as they have, I would think crazy Putin would have to think about doing a true diplomatic dance before taking the might of a united Europe on.

It's good the US is sitting this one somewhat out.  I have become concerned since the Neocon days when some of G W. Bush's people spoke of US 'Empire;.  That just sounded sooooooo wrong.

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2022, 01:00:08 PM »
So it does look like there may be at least a shred of truth to Putin's Neo-Nazi claim.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/10/azov-far-right-fighters-ukraine-neo-nazis

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/05/ukraine-president-takes-up-comedians-drug-test-challenge

The Ukrainian President is Jewish, and his great-grandfather and three great-uncles were murdered in the Holocaust. It would be like claiming that the US is run by neo-Nazis and our government should be overthrown because we have active domestic terrorist groups that march with swastikas and other symbols of white nationalism.
"In 1991, Svoboda was founded as the Social-National Party of Ukraine.[65] The party combined radical nationalism and neo-Nazi features.[66][67][68] It was renamed and rebranded 13 years later as All-Ukrainian Association Svoboda in 2004 under Oleh Tyahnybok. In 2016, The Nation reported that "in Ukrainian municipal elections held [in October 2015], the neo-Nazi Svoboda party won 10 percent of the vote in Kiev and placed second in Lviv. The Svoboda party's candidate actually won the mayoral election in the city of Konotop."[69] The Svoboda party mayor in Konotop reportedly has the number "14/88" displayed on his car and has refused to display the city's official flag because it contains a star of David, and has implied that Jews were responsible for the Holodomor.[66]

The topic of Ukrainian nationalism and its alleged relationship to neo-Nazism came to the fore in polemics about the more radical elements involved in the Euromaidan protests and subsequent Russo-Ukrainian War from 2013 onward.[68] Some Russian, Latin American, U.S. and Israeli media have attempted to portray the Ukrainian nationalists in the conflict as neo-Nazi.[70] The main Ukrainian organisations involved with a neo-Banderaite legacy are Right Sector,[71] Svoboda and Azov Battalion. The persons regarded as Ukraine's national heroes—Stepan Bandera, Roman Shukhevych or Dmytro Klyachkivsky of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN) and Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA)—at times supported and then opposed the presence of the Third Reich in Ukraine.[72][73] "
"In the early 2010s Jewish organizations in and outside of Ukraine have accused the political party All-Ukrainian Union "Svoboda" of open Nazi sympathies and being antisemitic.[25] In May 2013 the World Jewish Congress listed the party as neo-Nazi.[26] "Svoboda" itself has denied being antisemitic.[27] In the 2012 Ukrainian parliamentary elections "Svoboda" won its first seats in the Ukrainian Parliament,[28] garnering 10.44% of the popular vote and the 4th most seats among national political parties.[29] In the 2014 Ukrainian parliamentary elections the party got 6 parliamentary seats (it won 4.71% of the popular vote in this election).[30] In the 2019 Ukrainian parliamentary election other parties joined Svoboda to form a united party list, these were the Governmental Initiative of Yarosh, Right Sector and National Corps.[31] But in the election this combination won 2.15% of the votes, less than half of the 5% election threshold, and thus no parliamentary seats via the national party list.[32] Svoboda itself did win one constituency seat, in Ivano-Frankivsk.[32][33]"

Bandera cultivated German military circles favorable to Ukrainian independence, and organized OUN expeditionary groups. When Nazi Germany invaded the Soviet Union, he prepared the 30 June 1941 Proclamation of Ukrainian statehood in Lviv, pledging to work with Nazi Germany.[4][5] For his refusal to rescind the decree, Bandera was arrested by the Gestapo, which put him under house arrest on 5 July 1941,[6] and later between 1942 and 1943[7] sent him to the Sachsenhausen concentration camp.[8] In 1944, with Germany rapidly losing ground in the war in the face of the advancing Allied armies, Bandera was released in the hope that he would be instrumental in deterring the advancing Soviet forces. He set up the headquarters of the re-established Ukrainian Supreme Liberation Council, which worked underground. He settled with his family in West Germany where he remained the leader of the OUN-B and worked with several anti-communist organizations such as the Anti-Bolshevik Bloc of Nations[9][10] as well as with the British intelligence agencies.[9] Fourteen years after the end of the war, Bandera was assassinated in 1959 by KGB agents in Munich.[11][12]

Neo nazis are not in Russian parliament. If you have a different info please let me know. Six seats in parliament -that's significant, do you know how many people have to vote in order to get one seat in Ukrainian Parliament? Do you know anyone in the US Congress who's is openly a Neo-Nazi?

And with regards to the Republics in Eastern Ukraine, under international law they had no right to declare themselves independent in the first place, so Ukraine had every right to try to gain control over their territory again. Imagine what would happen if an American state would declare themselves independent, unilaterally. Actually, we've seen what happened. The American president did exactly what the president of Ukraine is doing now. Trying to control their own territory again.
So, bombing civilians for 8 years you call "try to gain control over their territory again." No, I understand your logic. Ukraine is only interested in the territory and doesn't care about the citizens living on those territories, they stopped paying pensions, mail services are not provided by the Ukraine, ah and don't forget building a dam to block the water supply to farmers and civilians. But the civilians haven't left, so bombing and attacking them should work. That's all within the rights of any democratic government, correct? The rest of the world in different circumstances would call that a genocide but since we are talking about Ukraine now, that isn't called a genocide.

Please remind me when the American president was killing Americans who decided not to vote for him and become independent. Are you talking about Japanese Americans during the world war II? Well, that's different, those Japanese Americans didn't want independence, no - not sure what you've been told.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2022, 01:21:57 PM »
Ilsy, I don't think the Ukrainian government or people are perfect saints. Nor the US/Americans writ large. There are a few terrible people in every country. I likewise think 90% of Russians/Ukrainians/'Mericans are great people.

But that has basically zero bearing on the situation now. Anyone who supports Russia at this point is either a troll/on the Russian payroll somehow, or just simply inhuman scum.

-W

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2022, 01:22:48 PM »
Ilsy, of course the Ukrainians aren't perfect. Of course they've done bad things in the past. Of course. May I remind you of the extremely checkered history of the entire world? No one is entirely blameless, ever.

But here, today, now - Russia is in the wrong, and Ukraine is just trying to survive.

You however, are coming across as a Russian troll. Take a step back, go look in the mirror. Reevaluate where you're getting your news. Reevaluate your stances. If you actually are Russian, then I'm very sorry that your people have been so mistreated and mislead by Putin. But that does not absolve you of trying to be the best version of yourself that you can be.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2022, 01:32:18 PM »

Neo nazis are not in Russian parliament. If you have a different info please let me know. Six seats in parliament -that's significant, do you know how many people have to vote in order to get one seat in Ukrainian Parliament? Do you know anyone in the US Congress who's is openly a Neo-Nazi?

So, bombing civilians for 8 years you call "try to gain control over their territory again." No, I understand your logic. Ukraine is only interested in the territory and doesn't care about the citizens living on those territories, they stopped paying pensions, mail services are not provided by the Ukraine, ah and don't forget building a dam to block the water supply to farmers and civilians. But the civilians haven't left, so bombing and attacking them should work. That's all within the rights of any democratic government, correct? The rest of the world in different circumstances would call that a genocide but since we are talking about Ukraine now, that isn't called a genocide.

Please remind me when the American president was killing Americans who decided not to vote for him and become independent. Are you talking about Japanese Americans during the world war II? Well, that's different, those Japanese Americans didn't want independence, no - not sure what you've been told.

The American civil war claimed well over 600,000 lives when the Southern states seceded. A key differentiator between that and the separatists in the Donbas is that Russia is openly backing the separatists (not officially of course, but the support is well documented). The comment above also implies that the Ukranian government was specifically targeting civilians rather than the separatists; I don't have information that that is the case. Regardless of the political specifics, civil wars, and war in general, are terrible for civilian populations. Russia is not respecting Ukraine's sovereignty (and yes, there are many examples of the USA doing bad things as well that do not respect sovereignty). The violence ultimately flows from that.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2022, 02:04:46 PM »
I just heard that 70 aircraft are being donated to Ukraine from neighboring countries. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2022, 03:15:06 PM »
I just heard that 70 aircraft are being donated to Ukraine from neighboring countries.
That has since been walked back--someone was getting ahead of themselves.  It was a proposal, and a number of the countries named have backed out.

If you're looking for more in-depth, technical commentary, The War Zone has not only fantastic, thorough articles, but the commentariat is fantastic as well.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2022, 03:23:54 PM »

At this point I'm not really sure if you are trolling or not, but just in case you are serious.

You say 6 members of Parliament in Ukraine have neo nazi sympathies. I don't have time to fact check that, but Wikipedia tells me the Ukrainian Parliament is called Verkhovna Rada and there are currently no parties that hold 6 seats. If you know the name of the neo nazi party I'd like to hear it. It's terrible that neo nazi's exist at all but 6/450 is actually an incredibly low amount for Europe. There are more in  my Parliament (in the Netherlands) even though we only have 150 MPs. There are neo nazi's in almost every European Parliament, unfortunately.

There are indeed no neo nazi's in the Russian Parliament. Nor is the leader of the opposition, Alexei Navalny (currently imprisoned for political crimes and subjected to torture there) or for that matter,  any opposition parties at all. Since Russia does not have free elections, the vast majority of seats is held by Putin's parties, the others go to other pro-Kremlin parties.

Obviously I was referring to the American Civil War. Yes, a President did sent the army to attack rebelling States and unfortunately civilians were also hurt. This is exactly what happened in Ukraine. Some political leaders of some parts of the country decided on an illegal secession (that's what it was, under the criteria set in international law these areas did not have the right to declare themselves independent from the mother country, just like the Confederate states did not) and we can't expect the lawful government of the Ukraine to give up on their valid territorial claim just because unfortunately innocent people die. If Russia truly cared about civilian lives in East Ukraine they would have urged the leaders there to give up on their illegal claim.

Does all of this mean Ukraine is a perfect country? No, it doesn't. It's a little less corrupt than Russia and ruled by a rivallling bunch of oligarchs instead of one faction of oligarchs. Does Ukraine meet the minimum standards for rule of law that EU membership requires? Absolutely not. There's a reason they're not members yet and it's mainly because their democracy is not strong enough yet.

I do think the current situation might create a momentum for reform and building back better. I really hope that in the future Ukraine will become a strong, democratic state.

I hope that Russians will come out of this situation better, too, but I not sure about it. This is looking more and more like it's going to be Putin's Waterloo. Even in Russia, a country with very little political freedom, protests happen openly and are widespread. Famous Russians speak out against Putin. But Putin has rotted Russian's civil society to the core. There is no real opposition, no one with any power who wasn't handpicked by Putin and his cronies. If/when someone finally puts a bullet in his head let's hope not another autocrat will grab the power.

It seems very likely that Putin will end like any other autocrat. First they are popular, then they enrich themselves, eventually they get mad, then they get killed. Putin is in the "mad" stage, it's only a matter of time before he will get killed. Likely at the hands of his cronies to try and save their own neck.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #197 on: February 28, 2022, 06:26:48 PM »
Russians do not kill civilians (they claim),

You must not have seen the cluster-bombs-on-civilians videos making the rounds. I suggest looking it up.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2022, 06:50:58 PM »

Assuming all of what you say is true (some of it even you caveat as the Russians claiming they don't kill civilians - an obvious lie given by firsthand accounts and pictures - have you seen the pictures of the 6 year old girl who was killed when the Russians decided bombing near a nursery was a good idea?), but again, even if you were 100% correct, the bar to forcibly invade another country to "liberate" them is and should be very high.

Ukraine has some issues in the government and governing of its people, no doubt, but do they even compare to the Taliban? To Hussein? The US tried the whole invade countries for their own good and liberate them (at least it was the reasoning presented) - in a situation where the country was very literally and very seriously oppressing its citizens, with multiple *actual* independent and separate countries supporting the US in this invasion at least initially, and it's still widely agreed upon as a bad awful and extremely damaging idea that caused more *far* harm than good. The situation in Ukraine is, by any objective standard, nothing remotely close to the oppression that many in Iraq and Afghanistan were facing and it still was a really bad idea with seriously bad consequences with support from many other countries for the US to invade Iraq for example. The situation with Russia and the Ukraine has no oppression even close to what we're talking about and universal condemnation of them doing it. How one earth you can buy into Russian propaganda that they are liberators is beyond me or any reasonable person, but even if you did, even then what they're doing would be a terrible idea with a horrendous cost in not just financial and infrastructure situations but in human lives. The position you are taking is atrocious and abhorrent. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 06:58:35 PM by Wolfpack Mustachian »

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2022, 08:04:57 PM »
I also found this video to be very insightful as to the reasons behind the invasion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If61baWF4GE
(watch at 1.5x)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!