Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779232 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #8500 on: July 30, 2021, 11:38:12 AM »
rag head = towel head = any person wearing a turban*

*Obviously not my vernacular or opinion, but disparaging terms I've heard directed toward turban wearers.  Both terms have been popular in my area since I was a child. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8501 on: July 30, 2021, 11:44:45 AM »

*Obviously not my vernacular or opinion, but disparaging terms I've heard directed toward turban wearers.  Both terms have been popular in my area since I was a child.

It's also directed at people who wear hijab.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8502 on: July 30, 2021, 11:52:42 AM »

Sometimes just at people who look Middle Eastern.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8503 on: July 30, 2021, 12:11:12 PM »

Sometimes just at people who look Middle Eastern.

Yes, ironically in an attempt to maximize their discrimination of brown people the racists will not discriminate between different middle eastern cultures.  As long as they're different they can hate them.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8504 on: July 30, 2021, 12:27:55 PM »
During the run up to the election, and recently, someone who went to my high school, and a former friend, have went from reasonable people to being qanon (or at least some version of conspiracy follower). With the latest, friends have engaged and tried to talk her down but in response calls her friends ignorant, sheep, anti-semitic (anyone who doesn't 100% support Israel) and posts links to YouTube videos as proof. For example someone who was alternative but apolitical, now really really cares what is going on in Jerusalem. It's really weird.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 08:54:28 AM by partgypsy »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8505 on: July 30, 2021, 01:49:57 PM »
For example after her 5th anti CRT post, someone called her out for not having good critical thinking skills, based on who she references. Her response "Double-down speak! My favorite smarty food. Well (name) please provide proof of everything you know that you say that you know and then we will know what you say you know is actually what you know or what you think you know...so sorry to disappoint but your opinion is not a factbook until you prove that I'm gullible or not smart or lack judgement. See when you accuse people of things you gotta back them up. No more free rides to the name callers". (And the response) "I'm sorry, you are applying a logical fallacy called "appeal to ignorance". I don't have to prove anything. You are the one making batshit crazy assertions.therefore the onus is on you, not me. All I did was call bullshit on your hate mongering."

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8506 on: July 30, 2021, 01:56:50 PM »
For example after her 5th anti CRT post, someone called her out for not having good critical thinking skills, based on who she references. Her response "Double-down speak! My favorite smarty food. Well (name) please provide proof of everything you know that you say that you know and then we will know what you say you know is actually what you know or what you think you know...so sorry to disappoint but your opinion is not a factbook until you prove that I'm gullible or not smart or lack judgement. See when you accuse people of things you gotta back them up. No more free rides to the name callers". (And the response) "I'm sorry, you are applying a logical fallacy called "appeal to ignorance". I don't have to prove anything. You are the one making batshit crazy assertions.therefore the onus is on you, not me. All I did was call bullshit on your hate mongering."

Ah, I love this in particular:

A: Your actions are not conducive to productive discourse.
B: Listen here smarty pants, I will not stand for your name calling!

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8507 on: July 30, 2021, 08:25:53 PM »
What is with the 100% support of Israel? 

I asked my 89 year old grandmother why she thought the Republicans were better.  She said all I know is that abortion is wrong, and we should support Israel.  Really?  That's it?  When asked, she said we have to support Israel, because the Bible says so.  I'm not a fan of that answer.

BTW, she has never voted.  (I was shocked!)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8508 on: July 30, 2021, 08:37:23 PM »

I asked my 89 year old grandmother why she thought the Republicans were better.  She said all I know is that abortion is wrong, and we should support Israel.  Really?  That's it?  When asked, she said we have to support Israel, because the Bible says so.  I'm not a fan of that answer.

Oh, dear. Women in her grandmothers’ generation fought hard for the right to vote.

I understand taking a hardline stance against anti-Semitism. I do not understand or agree with unconditional support for Israel as a state (and, in fact, it makes no sense outside of a Christian dominionist, endtimes-based perspective).

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8509 on: July 31, 2021, 12:33:06 AM »

I assume she doesn't know that the Israeli health care system covers a lot of abortions.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8510 on: July 31, 2021, 07:51:52 AM »

I assume she doesn't know that the Israeli health care system covers a lot of abortions.

I don't know.  Do they cover that story on Fox News?  LOL!  I'll try to bring it up on my next visit.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #8511 on: July 31, 2021, 08:55:16 AM »
It has always confused me how evangelical Christians can support Israel so thoroughly and be so bigoted against Islam. The three religions share a common origin. Objectively I’d argue Muslims and Christians are theologically as close together as Christians and Jews. Yet they support one and vilify the other. So bizarre

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8512 on: July 31, 2021, 09:16:47 AM »
It has always confused me how evangelical Christians can support Israel so thoroughly and be so bigoted against Islam. The three religions share a common origin. Objectively I’d argue Muslims and Christians are theologically as close together as Christians and Jews. Yet they support one and vilify the other. So bizarre

All I can say is politics makes strange bedfellows. I guess one of the more ironic things in the facebook back and forth, is friend I used to know pretty much en masse called her liberal friends anti- semitic, despite the fact that some of them are actually Jewish! and she is not.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8513 on: July 31, 2021, 09:17:24 AM »

There is extremely bad blood between Christians and Muslims dating back to the 600s AD when Muslim armies forcibly (and permanently) conquered the Christian nations of North Africa and the Middle East. Muslims also conquered and controlled Spain and Portugal for hundreds of years. The tide turned in the early modern period and the Christian nations conquered nearly every Muslim nation in return. It's just a lot of really vicious stuff historically that lasted a really long time.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8514 on: July 31, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »
Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are the 3 big Abrahamic religions. Theoretically they should all be "competing" against each other. However Judaism gets a pass because traditionally it is not a proselytising religion, one that attempts to convert other religious people or non-believers into Jewish people, while Christianity and Islam do have that history (sometimes forced conversion, conquest, etc). Both old school Christianity, and Islam are "intolerant" of the presence of other religions ( it is a 0 sum game).

In the US, if you are evangelical Christian, see the US as Christian nation, Islam is a threat while Judaism is not. And following the rule "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", Israel is our "friend". That is again, only if you view, we are living through a religious-war glasses, and both Christianity and Islam are both fighting for the same souls, same land. It is not old history either as there is conflict going on in some African states between Christians and Islamic groups, as well as Christian minorities in Islamic states.  I should point out in the same way there are fundamentalist Christians and garden variety Christians, there are countries in which Islam and a modern way of life, rights for women, freedom of religion co-exist (Malaysia, Morocco) and other countries or groups (i.e. Taliban) where there is no room for even moderate strains of the same religion to exist. 

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 09:50:28 AM by partgypsy »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8515 on: July 31, 2021, 10:30:00 AM »
I can't tell if this is a joint delusion event or "Nazi party between the Beer Hall Putsch and the Reichstag fire."

Living In Delusion: Mark Meadows Says Trump Meeting With ‘Cabinet Members’ And Is Still “Fully Engaged” (News and Guts, summary of a Newsmax interview)

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8516 on: July 31, 2021, 11:25:15 AM »

I think that the "simple answer" (it has to be simple for the evangelical masses to follow) is Jesus was a Jew.  Israel is the home of Jerusalem, where baby Jesus was born in a manger.  Every Baptist kid sings & prays to that story every Sunday.  So, they can't hate Jews without a lot of confusion.  And btw, their Jesus was White. 

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8517 on: July 31, 2021, 11:35:50 AM »

I think that the "simple answer" (it has to be simple for the evangelical masses to follow) is Jesus was a Jew.  Israel is the home of Jerusalem, where baby Jesus was born in a manger.  Every Baptist kid sings & prays to that story every Sunday.  So, they can't hate Jews without a lot of confusion.  And btw, their Jesus was White.

Jesus was born in Bethlehem which is in the West Bank which is why Evangelicals wants Israel to absorb the West Bank entirely. I never knew that Jews weren't white (except for Beta Israel from Ethiopia). Hmm. Learn something new every day.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8518 on: July 31, 2021, 11:56:39 AM »

All I can say is politics makes strange bedfellows. I guess one of the more ironic things in the facebook back and forth, is friend I used to know pretty much en masse called her liberal friends anti- semitic, despite the fact that some of them are actually Jewish! and she is not.
Being Jewish doen't mean you can't be anti-semitic (or anti-judish).
"Fun" fact: One of the most successful spreader of anti-semitism is Jewish. The "election magician" that helped e.g. Victor Orban elected (and other right wingers in the US and even Israel), not least by making a devil out of George Soros. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_J._Finkelstein (Really, read about him! It reads like conspiracy theory! The hidden network of political influence just without child abuse in a pizzaria cellar.)

when Muslim armies forcibly (and permanently) conquered the Christian nations of North Africa and the Middle East. Muslims also conquered and controlled Spain and Portugal for hundreds of years.
Which would later become the Golden Age of the Iberian Peninsula, not least because of the religious freedom (btw. not unusual in early Islamic realms, contrary to Christian rules. But that is always forgotten somehow...)

And btw, their Jesus was White.
Yeah, strange, I didn't know they painted faces white back then!

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8519 on: July 31, 2021, 12:20:52 PM »

Jesus was born in Bethlehem which is in the West Bank which is why Evangelicals wants Israel to absorb the West Bank entirely. I never knew that Jews weren't white (except for Beta Israel from Ethiopia). Hmm. Learn something new every day.

You're right, it's been a long time since I was forced to go to church.  It was Bethlehem. 

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8520 on: July 31, 2021, 12:27:13 PM »

Which would later become the Golden Age of the Iberian Peninsula, not least because of the religious freedom (btw. not unusual in early Islamic realms, contrary to Christian rules. But that is always forgotten somehow...)

It was the "Golden Age of Islam", but not the "Golden Age of the Iberian Peninsula". The Golden Age for Spain and Portugal came after the end of the Reconquista when they created two of the world's biggest global empires.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #8521 on: July 31, 2021, 12:48:25 PM »

It might be even more simple than this - Islam has no tolerance for other religions.  Basically, it is a one way street - remain Muslim, convert, or be an infidel.  Christianity sees this as a threat and that the two cannot peacefully co-exist.  Judaism, and other religions, aren't quite so hard line, as far as I know...  This is just my opinion though, after having lived in the Middle East and lived amongst mosques, seen Ramadan up close, etc.  Absolutely no other forms of religion allowed and you can be thrown in jail for 'proselytizing'.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8522 on: July 31, 2021, 01:18:57 PM »

It might be even more simple than this - Islam has no tolerance for other religions.  Basically, it is a one way street - remain Muslim, convert, or be an infidel.  Christianity sees this as a threat and that the two cannot peacefully co-exist.  Judaism, and other religions, aren't quite so hard line, as far as I know...  This is just my opinion though, after having lived in the Middle East and lived amongst mosques, seen Ramadan up close, etc.  Absolutely no other forms of religion allowed and you can be thrown in jail for 'proselytizing'.
Christianity has done similar things in the past (various expulsions of the jews, and the Spanish Inquisition, and so on).

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8523 on: July 31, 2021, 01:23:58 PM »

Christianity has done similar things in the past (various expulsions of the jews, and the Spanish Inquisition, and so on).

You can be Muslim in any Christian majority nation. You would find it nearly impossible to impossible to be a Christian in nearly any Muslim majority nation. That's just the way it is. And Muslim majority nations nearly never let Muslims convert to any other religion. In Christian majority nations, you can convert to anything you want. In Muslim majority nations, it is nearly always illegal to be atheist. In Christian majority nations, you can legally be an atheist and rant and rave about how intolerant Christians are and Christians won't do anything in response other than say "You are mean." Those are just facts.

MOD NOTE: Stereotypes aren't facts.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 07:02:22 PM by arebelspy »

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8524 on: July 31, 2021, 01:51:02 PM »

Evangelicals wish that was the case with Christianity here.  Thankfully it's not.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8525 on: July 31, 2021, 01:57:08 PM »
Islam is about 700 years behind Christianity.  By 2700, maybe they'll be ok with atheists.  700 years ago we were doing Crusades and hadn't even gotten to the Spanish Inquisition.

Part of the problem is that Islam is a very authoritarian religion. I've read the Quran and at least 80% of it are rules of various types for Muslims to follow. Christianity has two commandments and then various traditions from the many different denominations. Makes Christians much more flexible about a lot of different issues. There have been issues with modern day Muslims doing terrible things to people accused of blasphemy. Author Salman Rushdie has been in hiding for decades because he wrote a book that was perceived as blasphemous to Islam. Modern day Christians will let you get away with drawing pictures of Jesus having gay sex with Buddha.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8526 on: July 31, 2021, 02:30:23 PM »
There seems to be a virulent anti-Muslim sentiment here. This is just as bad as anti Semitism. I am not Muslim, but I don’t think it has a place in this forum.

Muslims believe in living in harmony with other people of the book - that is, Christians and Jews. I understand it’s in the Koran. After Jews were evicted from many Christian countries in Western Europe in the Middle Ages, the Muslim nations provided them with places to live.

It may be that many Muslim countries are currently anti Christian. However, recently there have also been Christian atrocities against Muslims. Does anyone remember Kosovo and the break up of Yugoslavia and the killing of many thousands of civilian muslims by Christians?

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8527 on: July 31, 2021, 02:49:20 PM »
There seems to be a virulent anti-Muslim sentiment here. This is just as bad as anti Semitism. I am not Muslim, but I don’t think it has a place in this forum.

I haven't seen anyone post anything anti-Muslim. Uncomfortable things for Westerners? Sure. But nothing bigoted. We live in a really diverse world and people have different ways of living than we are accustomed to. Sometimes that can cause unease.

MOD NOTE: You haven't seen it, as you were one of the ones posting it (and another post that was Islamaphobic that you did see which was deleted by the poster after mod warning/discussion regarding its problematic nature). Talking about anothr religion being "backwards"/"behind", etc. is not acceptable language on this forum.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 07:38:03 PM by arebelspy »