Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779183 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #8400 on: July 07, 2021, 01:42:54 PM »
Sigh 🙄

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/07/07/trump-lawsuit-social-media/

This has no chance of winning . . . as the first amendment only applies to the government.  Private corporations are free to censor anyone they wish to.

Honestly, given that Facebook, Twitter, and Google control how most people get information these days I'm a bit uneasy with the censorship control they do have.  It would take legislation to change the rules though.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8401 on: July 07, 2021, 02:39:58 PM »
This frivolous lawsuit is only designed to attract donations from the base...grifters gotta grift.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8402 on: July 07, 2021, 04:41:02 PM »
Presumably the Trump legal team has a substantial retainer they need to burn through.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8403 on: July 08, 2021, 06:20:22 AM »
The fundraising emails started going out almost immediately after this announcement, lol. If you can continue to grift off of people who believe your bullshit, why would you stop?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8404 on: July 08, 2021, 07:02:04 AM »
Presumably the Trump legal team has a substantial retainer they need to burn through.

I imagine Trump's attorneys have it set up so that the fund-raising revenue goes straight to them. Trump promises to collect from his supporters and not even handle the money himself. Otherwise, why would any attorney still work for him?

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8405 on: July 08, 2021, 07:27:33 AM »

I imagine Trump's attorneys have it set up so that the fund-raising revenue goes straight to them. Trump promises to collect from his supporters and not even handle the money himself. Otherwise, why would any attorney still work for him?

Why would anyone support him? I don't think lawyers are immune from getting drunk on the Kool-aid. I have seen plenty of highly educated people get pulled into and stay in his mad circus.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8406 on: July 08, 2021, 07:43:34 AM »

Why would anyone support him? I don't think lawyers are immune from getting drunk on the Kool-aid. I have seen plenty of highly educated people get pulled into and stay in his mad circus.

Trump's last lawsuit fundraiser went straight into his pocket. Why change a working formula?

Speaking of his lawyers and lawsuits, apparently Sidney Powell is using the "I'm really just a troll" as her defense strategy in the Dominion lawsuit that no reasonable person should believe the words coming out of her mouth. Didn't she make some of those lunatic statements in a courtroom or at least on legal documents?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8407 on: July 08, 2021, 09:26:45 AM »
@Travis , I notice that you're from South Korea (and I'm glad you're on here). Isn't there a precedent there with former Presidents being in jail?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8408 on: July 08, 2021, 09:32:26 AM »

Trump's last lawsuit fundraiser went straight into his pocket. Why change a working formula?

He does have debt coming due pretty soon.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8409 on: July 08, 2021, 09:39:51 AM »
@Travis , I notice that you're from South Korea (and I'm glad you're on here). Isn't there a precedent there with former Presidents being in jail?

I only work in South Korea. I'm an American soldier from California. I have not a clue about Korean politics.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 09:42:32 AM by Travis »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8410 on: July 08, 2021, 09:42:46 AM »
Thank you for serving our country!

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8411 on: July 08, 2021, 03:04:56 PM »

That Rudy Guliani guy who supported him was professionally sanctioned after getting drunk on the kool-aid.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #8412 on: July 08, 2021, 04:14:33 PM »

That Rudy Guliani guy who supported him was professionally sanctioned after getting drunk on the kool-aid.

Not just Rudy…
Jeff Sessions left one of the safest senate seats to later be fired and out of a job.
Michael Cohen went to jail.
Paul Manafort also went to jail

All are lawyers who worked for Trump. Then there’s all the very intelligent non-lawyers who’ve wound up soiling their reputation by working for Trump. 

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8413 on: July 08, 2021, 05:01:42 PM »

Not just Rudy…
Jeff Sessions left one of the safest senate seats to later be fired and out of a job.
Michael Cohen went to jail.
Paul Manafort also went to jail

All are lawyers who worked for Trump. Then there’s all the very intelligent non-lawyers who’ve wound up soiling their reputation by working for Trump.

Sure, but there are always plenty of people with the teenage "well, something like that won't happen to me" mentality. Seems insane to me, but there always seem to be someone ready to take their place.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #8414 on: July 08, 2021, 08:43:14 PM »
My Facebook now has 'Biden cut and run from Afghanistan', since border issues and critical race theory have run their course.  Biden had a pretty coherent message that we are not nation building and 20 years is long enough, when I listened to his words, but Fox news would have you believe all sorts of terrible things about the decision... 

Trump tried to yank the soldiers out earlier, if I remember correctly, but he was too wishy-washy.  Honestly, anything other than his domestic agenda seemed all over the place in messaging and uncoordinated in strategy.  It's hard to remember much of it correctly, unless it was fighting our allies, putting tariffs on Chyna, and pulling out of significant (and yes, imperfect) agreements but nothing in its place (Nuclear proliferation with Russia, NAFTA, the Paris Agreement, Iran, ACA)...

I suppose it's easier to criticize Biden than it is to acknowledge that Trump wanted to do the same thing basically...

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #8415 on: July 08, 2021, 11:59:40 PM »
This frivolous lawsuit is only designed to attract donations from the base...grifters gotta grift.
Apparently the suit was not even filed in the correct jurisdiction.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8416 on: July 09, 2021, 03:49:03 AM »
My Facebook now has 'Biden cut and run from Afghanistan', since border issues and critical race theory have run their course.  Biden had a pretty coherent message that we are not nation building and 20 years is long enough, when I listened to his words, but Fox news would have you believe all sorts of terrible things about the decision... 

Trump tried to yank the soldiers out earlier, if I remember correctly, but he was too wishy-washy.  Honestly, anything other than his domestic agenda seemed all over the place in messaging and uncoordinated in strategy.  It's hard to remember much of it correctly, unless it was fighting our allies, putting tariffs on Chyna, and pulling out of significant (and yes, imperfect) agreements but nothing in its place (Nuclear proliferation with Russia, NAFTA, the Paris Agreement, Iran, ACA)...

I suppose it's easier to criticize Biden than it is to acknowledge that Trump wanted to do the same thing basically...
Are they really ranting about Biden leaving Afghanistan?

That is one of the very few points where I had acknoledged Trump to do something that is actually beneficial to the Average American Joe.

It was a huge thing (at least over here), and as a result we Germany have just now left it too I think. How can you not remember it came from Trump?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8417 on: July 09, 2021, 06:18:00 AM »

That is one of the very few points where I had acknoledged Trump to do something that is actually beneficial to the Average American Joe.

It was a huge thing (at least over here), and as a result we Germany have just now left it too I think. How can you not remember it came from Trump?

There's a well-worn path for Trump supporters criticizing Biden on Afghanistan, thanks to George W. Bush saying (about his successor), "If I'd known how badly Iraq would be run from 2009 until now, of course I wouldn't have invaded it."

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8418 on: July 09, 2021, 07:11:08 AM »

How can you not believe in covid? How can you not believe in the efficacy of vaccines? How can you not believe in climate change? How can you believe the Jan 6 insurrection was peaceful? Or done by Antifa?

It's almost like reality doesn't even matter and they just latch onto whatever the GOP talking point is regardless. 

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8419 on: July 09, 2021, 08:18:37 AM »
As Heather Cox Richardson says, "Trump sent officials to negotiate with the Taliban and in February 2020 the U.S. agreed to withdraw all troops, along with NATO allies, by May 1, so long as the Taliban stopped attacking U.S. troops and cut ties with terrorists.
In April 2021, Biden announced he would honor Trump's agreement and begin final withdrawal on May 1, 2021."

You'd think they would want to give Trump credit for the one thing he did right, but I guess the "cut and run" insult is too easy to use to attack Democrats.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8420 on: July 09, 2021, 09:13:20 AM »

You'd think they would want to give Trump credit for the one thing he did right, but I guess the "cut and run" insult is too easy to use to attack Democrats.

"COVID isn't real, masks are useless, this isn't the government's problem, and Trump is a savior for funding the vaccine."
-Series of conversations had between Geraldo Rivera and Sean Hannity over the course of a week last year.

"Trump hasn't got sick, therefore COVID isn't real....Trump is the right kind of leader right now because he got sick. He's experienced what America is experiencing."
-Republican talking heads a week after Trump nearly died from the virus that he spent the entire summer pretending didn't exist.

A lot of Americans learned last year that you can get very far in life not needing to be right or make a lick of sense about anything.  Republicans are split on whether withdrawal is a good idea, but disrupting Democrat plans is far more important than putting a feather in Trump's cap.  They've said so in the last week. Creating chaos is more important than governing to them.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8421 on: July 10, 2021, 02:33:56 AM »
Quite sure it was Lenin, who also invented the rigged election system of the USSR and of course universal suffrage, which increased the unimportant mass, such putting pressures on the more select people to behave or else...

You have read the book in my sig? *cough cough*

Haven't read the book, though I am watching the series on Netflix.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8422 on: July 12, 2021, 03:12:41 PM »
As a Michigan voter and election worker, I sincerely hope that they are all sanctioned and financially penalized.

A federal judge skewered 'Kraken' lawyers for making 'fantastical' allegations of election fraud and failing to do the most basic due diligence

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8423 on: July 12, 2021, 03:26:23 PM »
As a Michigan voter and election worker, I sincerely hope that they are all sanctioned and financially penalized.

A federal judge skewered 'Kraken' lawyers for making 'fantastical' allegations of election fraud and failing to do the most basic due diligence

+ Maybe a public statement admitting culpability before they can practice in the state/district again. Except for Lin and Wood, who should be disbarred.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8424 on: July 12, 2021, 05:28:31 PM »

+ Maybe a public statement admitting culpability before they can practice in the state/district again. Except for Lin and Wood, who should be disbarred.
Perhaps we should see if Powell, Wood and Co. have argued for people to have the book thrown at them to make an example and discourage future bad behavior. They should all be disbarred. If the role of the junior lawyers was truly trivial then a sanction may be appropriate for them as bit-players.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8425 on: July 15, 2021, 04:44:34 PM »
Okay, THIS is the best recap of the Kraken hearings I've read so far: Kraken Sanctions Hearing Devolves Into Screaming Sh*tshow Debacle (Above the Law)

Kraken lawyer Julia Haller, who appeared at multiple points to be crying, stammered that it would be unethical for them to alter an affidavit. Which is true, but does nothing to counter the argument that the attorneys who presented it as factually accurate failed in their obligation to figure out if the conduct alleged was illegal. Much less to determine if it actually happened.

Haller spent most of the day keening for an evidentiary hearing to test the validity of affidavits that were false on their face and were rejected by other courts, seemingly unaware that the issue at hand is not the truth or falsity of the affiants’ claims, but the attorneys’ failure to ensure that they weren’t shoveling a pile of incendiary bullshit onto the federal docket.

Attorney Donald Campbell mounted a spirited defense of Powell, Woods, Kleinhendler, and Lambert Juntilla, although client control proved a challenge, particularly with respect to Woods and Kleinhendler. But at times Campbell appeared to antagonize the court himself.

“I am not a potted plant!” he shouted during a particularly contentious exchange in which the judge cautioned him not to question “my procedures.”

Was he channeling the "I'm not a cat" Zoom lawyer?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8426 on: July 15, 2021, 06:20:28 PM »
So, this happened.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8427 on: July 15, 2021, 07:22:04 PM »
That’s borderline incoherent.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8428 on: July 15, 2021, 09:06:50 PM »
Okay, THIS is the best recap of the Kraken hearings I've read so far: Kraken Sanctions Hearing Devolves Into Screaming Sh*tshow Debacle (Above the Law)

Kraken lawyer Julia Haller, who appeared at multiple points to be crying, stammered that it would be unethical for them to alter an affidavit. Which is true, but does nothing to counter the argument that the attorneys who presented it as factually accurate failed in their obligation to figure out if the conduct alleged was illegal. Much less to determine if it actually happened.

Haller spent most of the day keening for an evidentiary hearing to test the validity of affidavits that were false on their face and were rejected by other courts, seemingly unaware that the issue at hand is not the truth or falsity of the affiants’ claims, but the attorneys’ failure to ensure that they weren’t shoveling a pile of incendiary bullshit onto the federal docket.

Attorney Donald Campbell mounted a spirited defense of Powell, Woods, Kleinhendler, and Lambert Juntilla, although client control proved a challenge, particularly with respect to Woods and Kleinhendler. But at times Campbell appeared to antagonize the court himself.

“I am not a potted plant!” he shouted during a particularly contentious exchange in which the judge cautioned him not to question “my procedures.”

Was he channeling the "I'm not a cat" Zoom lawyer?

I assumed most of these lawyers were part of the grift. They might actually be true believers.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8429 on: July 15, 2021, 10:54:08 PM »

Classic Trump.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8430 on: July 16, 2021, 12:55:40 AM »

Classic Trump.

Thank goodness we can ignore him while he stews in his crazy juices.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8431 on: July 16, 2021, 07:12:06 AM »

Classic Trump.

I've been trying to understand the logic behind Trump's incorrect capitalization in written statements for a long while.  Still can't see a pattern:

Voter Fraud
Irregularities
Presidential Election Scam
States
Government
Election
Radical Left
President
Military Forts
Bases
Administration
Radical Left
Country

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8432 on: July 16, 2021, 07:28:05 AM »
I saw hints at this statement from other sources--I keep my vow to not click any link with the word "Trump" in it--but, wow. Trump never fails, he simply is failed by the people around him.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8433 on: July 16, 2021, 07:57:58 AM »

Classic Trump.

I've been trying to understand the logic behind Trump's incorrect capitalization in written statements for a long while.  Still can't see a pattern:

Voter Fraud
Irregularities
States
Government
Election
Radical Left
President
Military Forts
Bases
Administration
Radical Left
Country

To me (and coupled with his oral statements) the logic seems to be 'Capitalize any word you want to stress'.  Granted, that would make every one of my English teachers cringe.  ALL caps is something you want to stress A LOT [pun intended].

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8434 on: July 16, 2021, 08:06:55 AM »

Classic Trump.

Voter Fraud
Irregularities
States
Government
Election
Radical Left
President
Military Forts
Bases
Administration
Radical Left
Country

To me (and coupled with his oral statements) the logic seems to be 'Capitalize any word you want to stress'.  Granted, that would make every one of my English teachers cringe.  ALL caps is something you want to stress A LOT [pun intended].

I was thinking that initially . . . but some of them like Military Forts and Bases don't really make sense to be stressed in context.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8435 on: July 16, 2021, 08:17:56 AM »
the capitalization is not even in the top ten of outrageous things about that statement coming from a Former President.

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8436 on: July 16, 2021, 08:27:29 AM »

Classic Trump.

Voter Fraud
Irregularities
States
Government
Election
Radical Left
President
Military Forts
Bases
Administration
Radical Left
Country

I was thinking that initially . . . but some of them like Military Forts and Bases don't really make sense to be stressed in context.

Maybe he sees those as proper nouns?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8437 on: July 16, 2021, 08:51:32 AM »
the capitalization is not even in the top ten of outrageous things about that statement coming from a Former President.

"GEN Milley's only purpose there was to kiss my ass and I'm pissed he chose to do literally anything else."

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8438 on: July 16, 2021, 12:22:00 PM »

Classic Trump.

Voter Fraud
Irregularities
States
Government
Election
Radical Left
President
Military Forts
Bases
Administration
Radical Left
Country

Maybe he sees those as proper nouns?
"I love the uneducated." Poor grammar and inconsistent usage is a stylistic choice to make him seem more like the common supporter.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8439 on: July 16, 2021, 12:32:07 PM »
I can't really believe that he's with it enough cognitively to even put that kind of thought process together

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8440 on: July 16, 2021, 12:56:51 PM »
I can't really believe that he's with it enough cognitively to even put that kind of thought process together
He's been a con man all his life.  Mental effort for him is not running a con.

The 585

« Reply #8441 on: July 18, 2021, 05:41:21 AM »
How do I get my parents to stop watching Fox News? Sadly they are huge Trump fans and watch Fox News every day. I've never seen them so angry and outraged until these past couple years, and they frequently repeat the false hateful rhetoric they're watching. I've told them to take a break but we end up getting in big arguments... because ALL other news is "radical left".

FWIW, I tried watching Fox News and it makes my blood boil how comically ridiculous it is. And people think THIS is real news? Come on.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8442 on: July 18, 2021, 06:05:26 AM »
You might try keeping an eye out for an (uncontroversial?) news clip they might be interested in from an news site that is outside their usual knowledge - Canadian, maybe?  Australian?  BBC?

It's a bit like training dogs: it's impossible to train a dog to stop doing something, but easy to train it to do something else - don't try to teach a dog not to jump up at people, do teach it to sit when it comes up to someone.   So don't try to stop them watching Fox, try to get them doing something else instead, and hope the new trail of breadcrumbs leads them away from Fox.

The 585

« Reply #8443 on: July 18, 2021, 06:11:11 AM »
You might try keeping an eye out for an (uncontroversial?) news clip they might be interested in from an news site that is outside their usual knowledge - Canadian, maybe?  Australian?  BBC?

Good advice, but they're so close-minded that I think it's completely out of the question! (Not going to repeat the nasty hateful things they've said about Canada -- probably also influenced by Fox News)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 06:13:48 AM by Geographer »

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8444 on: July 18, 2021, 06:22:16 AM »

Good advice, but they're so close-minded that I think it's completely out of the question! (Not going to repeat the nasty hateful things they've said about Canada -- probably also influenced by Fox News)

I believe the term in right-wing circles is “Soviet Canuckistan.”

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #8445 on: July 18, 2021, 07:03:46 AM »
How do I get my parents to stop watching Fox News? Sadly they are huge Trump fans and watch Fox News every day. I've never seen them so angry and outraged until these past couple years, and they frequently repeat the false hateful rhetoric they're watching. I've told them to take a break but we end up getting in big arguments... because ALL other news is "radical left".

FWIW, I tried watching Fox News and it makes my blood boil how comically ridiculous it is. And people think THIS is real news? Come on.
Be careful what you ask for my FIL did stop watching Fox News and switched to OAN and other further right news sources because Fox News became soft, liberal fake news.

Now every time he talks to my wife he is even angrier, try’s to pick fights with her calling her hateful names accusing us be being liberals, fascists, communists and blaming us for everything that is wrong in the world all because we didn’t vote for Trump.

Honestly we are very middle of the road his head would explode if he ever really met someone that was liberal LOL.

Sadly divide and conquer appears to be working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 585

« Reply #8446 on: July 18, 2021, 07:13:02 AM »

Be careful what you ask for my FIL did stop watching Fox News and switched to OAN and other further right news sources because Fox News became soft, liberal fake news.

Now every time he talks to my wife he is even angrier, try’s to pick fights with her calling her hateful names accusing us be being liberals, fascists, communists and blaming us for everything that is wrong in the world all because we didn’t vote for Trump.

Honestly we are very middle of the road his head would explode if he ever really met someone that was liberal LOL.

Sadly divide and conquer appears to be working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your response, your situation sounds exactly where I'm at. They also watch something called "Newsmax" which I'd never heard of before, but it's probably similar BS.

I'm middle of the road as well, but to Trump fans it seems anyone who isn't on board with him is now a liberal communist and is "brainwashed". It's so ironic.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8447 on: July 18, 2021, 07:54:48 AM »
Newsmax is to the right of Fox, and traffics much more openly conspiracy theories.  Yes, that’s possible.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8448 on: July 18, 2021, 08:17:04 AM »
I'm middle of the road as well, but to Trump fans it seems anyone who isn't on board with him is now a liberal communist and is "brainwashed". It's so ironic.

They definitely heap scorn on anyone who disagrees with them in the slightest, even if they're also on the right.

For example, some in the alt-right are now displeased with Justices Kavanaugh and Gorsuch and blame the liberal (!) Federalist Society for choosing them. It's not Trump's fault though. Trump chose those Justices to out them as the liberals they are as part of his 5d chess plan.

Truly, it's hard to believe some of the threads on those boards. It's a mix of True Believers and trolls.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8449 on: July 18, 2021, 08:23:08 AM »
I read (and agree) that it makes no sense to try to show them how wrong their news source is (once htey are so dug in), because the psychological barrier is too big (you are basically attacking their self).
They will just distance them and and move to even more fringe views (as happened to a poster above) in search for stability.

The only way is to find some goal they have and then talk about how to reach it, showing them different opinions/proposals.

Force created adverse force, you need to build them a gravity well they might roll into.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!