Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 778993 times)

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #8200 on: June 07, 2021, 06:46:42 AM »
Yeah...all of that. The various theories about the ways Trump can work his way back to the White House are...interesting.

I follow the "shadow President' line of thinking also. I read an article this morning that some of his former high-level campaign people are descending on Nebraska in order to get a Trump-stooge elected Governor. Not sure if that's somehow in service of Trump as puppet master at some point down the road (2024?) but it's odd. This plus the 300+ voter suppression bills being attempted in the states makes that possibility seem more real to me

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8201 on: June 07, 2021, 06:52:11 AM »
Nebraska happens to be the only state in the country with a one-house legislature. I feel like that would make it incredibly easy for a few motivated people to take over and sully its government at the state level.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8202 on: June 08, 2021, 11:17:19 AM »
Trump, from a few accounts, has told others of his belief in his August reinstatement. If there's another insurrection, what are the chances of him getting tossed into the clinker? Will Andrew Clyde once again claim that he was barricading the chamber doors to "tourists?"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/captiol-riot-andrew-clyde-chamber-b1848332.html

I am also hearing stories about this August reinstatement.  I suspect another insurrection wouldn't change anything and there would be no real consequences, just like there wasn't the first time.  I'd like to think that it would be so glaringly obvious that he is guilty and so damaging to democracy that he would be strung up for inciting a second insurrection based on lies, and his enablers would face harsh punishments.  But if you asked me 6 months ago I would have given you the same opinion regarding him inciting a first insurrection - that there is absolutely no way it would be tolerated, it would be crossing a hard line and no one could possibly support that behavior.  Simply unconscionable.   Yet here we are with people, including members of congress, flat out saying it wasn't a coup, and it wasn't an insurrection and gas lighting the entire population to believe they didn't see what they saw with their own eyes. 

Why shouldn't he attempt a second insurrection?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8203 on: June 08, 2021, 12:00:09 PM »
I cannot see a path back to power for Trump other than running in 2024.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8204 on: June 08, 2021, 12:35:39 PM »
Even then I can't see how he could win re-election. He's lost support from some Republicans and Independents...even more so after Jan. 6th. It would be an extremely narrow path for him to win enough votes to retake the White House...although if all of the voter suppression bills in various states make it into law...maybe there's a tiny sliver of light there for him to exploit. It seems much more likely that he would lose again, but that this time enough corrupt state-level officials will be in place to kick it to Congress; where he could be re-elected

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8205 on: June 08, 2021, 02:33:40 PM »
He. doesn't. have. to. win.

GOP legislatures will assign electors to him.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8206 on: June 08, 2021, 04:45:06 PM »
Would  GOP legislators really assign electoral college votes to a candidate that didn't win?     As a voter I would find that to be difficult to accept...

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8207 on: June 08, 2021, 05:55:18 PM »
Would  GOP legislators really assign electoral college votes to a candidate that didn't win?     As a voter I would find that to be difficult to accept...
What would you do about it?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #8208 on: June 08, 2021, 06:54:03 PM »

Why this time when they did not do so in the last election?

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8209 on: June 08, 2021, 06:59:09 PM »

I don't know.    It wouldn't happen up here (because we have a different electoral system).   I suppose I could vote against the governing party in the next state election.   This doesn't sound like it would be very effective though - if they're willing to corrupt one election, they're willing to corrupt a second.

This is probably how the Trump supporters felt over the winter.    What could they do?     This is why screwing around with elections is such a bad thing.    If the voters can't trust the democratic system, pretty soon all bets are off and anything goes.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #8210 on: June 08, 2021, 08:50:31 PM »
I know y'all are going to be jealous, but Trump has chosen Texas to be part of his return to his ego boosting rallies - https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2021/06/03/next-stop-on-donald-trump-comeback-tour-dallas-in-july-for-cpac/

“We are honored that President Donald Trump will end [CPAC Texas] on a high note and remind us that freedom means never being silenced,” tweeted Matt Schlapp, chairman of the American Conservative Union.
The ACU picked “American UnCancelled” as the theme for this year’s conferences.

Schlapp and wife Mercedes Schlapp, director of strategic communications in the Trump White House, are scheduled to speak in Dallas.

So are former housing secretary Ben Carson and two Texas congressmen: freshman Rep. Ronny Jackson of Amarillo — a former White House physician whom Trump tried to install as veterans secretary — and Rep. Roger Williams of Austin.

Other announced speakers include KT McFarland, a former deputy national security advisor under Trump, and James O’Keefe, president of Project Veritas, which uses secret recordings and deceptive techniques to try to discredit mainstream news media.

Oh boy...

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8211 on: June 09, 2021, 04:00:06 AM »

Excellent question. I can only speculate in response. Some ideas:

• If it had come down to one state--instead of five--perhaps you would have seen it.
  • At the time it happened, Republicans were wanting to dump Trump in a way they're not wanting to display under traditional politics. With a Trump-lite figure like DeSantis, or Pompeo running in 2024, they're more willing to bend things to install him/her.
  • The multiple legislative moves that are being made today are about signaling a willingness to coordinate and do this in future elections.

I don't feel good about this list, it really is a spitball exercise.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8212 on: June 09, 2021, 04:49:52 AM »
As far as I can tell the elected Republican officials in charge of State elections in 2020 were basically traditional back-room Republicans who got the jobs before Trump mania took over, and did the job honestly.  The problem now is that after the 2020 elections its mainly Trump supporters who run the State Republican parties and they are putting their own people in the relevant positions for running the 2022 and 2024 elections.   If I'm right then the administrative brakes on the results of those elections being perverted in Republican-controlled States are disappearing.  Couple that with the push in State legislatures to restrict voting by minorities and young people and increase the power of the legislature to interfere with election results  Add in the hundreds of Trump Republican judges appointed in the last four years and a strong Republican majority on the Supreme Court and I think US democracy could be in serious trouble in the next 3 years.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8213 on: June 09, 2021, 06:10:18 AM »

Personally, I think it’s just because they hadn’t quite gotten that far down the path of brazen corruption yet.

But they will be by 2024.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8214 on: June 09, 2021, 07:17:47 AM »

Personally, I think it’s just because they hadn’t quite gotten that far down the path of brazen corruption yet.

But a bunch of them still tried.  There were definitely state electors attempting to throw out votes and install Trump, it just wasn't enough of them.  And look at the nonsense going on in Arizona.  Does anyone doubt that the Arizona officials in charge of hiring Cyber Ninjas to perform this ridiculous audit wouldn't just straight up give their state to Trump if given the chance? I'm afraid that next time we won't be getting leak after leak about Trump's ridiculous attempts to steal the election, and instead he will successfully steal enough to actually "win". 

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8215 on: June 09, 2021, 07:21:24 AM »
I think my worry is less about Trump doing these things to become President, and more about him showing the way for a new generation of autocrats, who will follow in that way by kissing his ring.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8216 on: June 09, 2021, 07:29:14 AM »

Storm the capitol with the full backing of the GOP afterward?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8217 on: June 09, 2021, 11:32:22 AM »

But a bunch of them still tried.  There were definitely state electors attempting to throw out votes and install Trump, it just wasn't enough of them.  And look at the nonsense going on in Arizona.  Does anyone doubt that the Arizona officials in charge of hiring Cyber Ninjas to perform this ridiculous audit wouldn't just straight up give their state to Trump if given the chance? I'm afraid that next time we won't be getting leak after leak about Trump's ridiculous attempts to steal the election, and instead he will successfully steal enough to actually "win".

Yep. And more of them will try in 2024. And if Democrats are asleep at the wheel and don't show up for the midterms in 2022, even more Republicans will be in charge than are now. And those new ones will also be of the crazy Q variety that are willing to go down that path.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8218 on: June 09, 2021, 01:39:03 PM »

Yep. And more of them will try in 2024. And if Democrats are asleep at the wheel and don't show up for the midterms in 2022, even more Republicans will be in charge than are now. And those new ones will also be of the crazy Q variety that are willing to go down that path.

I do wonder whether losing one or both chambers in the 2022 midterms would motivate Dems more to vote - particularly if a number of bats__t crazy Qanon folks get elected and start creating daily outrages.  Arguably Trump lost largely because he couldn't just stop the daily crazy and people were motivated.  Otherwise, a sitting president and a national crisis should both be a big boost.  Even the economy was going in Trump's favor.  Looking only at the socio-macroeconomic picture in Fall 2020 it's amazing that Trump lost.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8219 on: June 09, 2021, 02:21:16 PM »

I do wonder whether losing one or both chambers in the 2022 midterms would motivate Dems more to vote - particularly if a number of bats__t crazy Qanon folks get elected and start creating daily outrages.  Arguably Trump lost largely because he couldn't just stop the daily crazy and people were motivated.  Otherwise, a sitting president and a national crisis should both be a big boost.  Even the economy was going in Trump's favor.  Looking only at the socio-macroeconomic picture in Fall 2020 it's amazing that Trump lost.

It might motivate more to (try to) vote, but if the GOP takes the house and senate in 2022, we can basically kiss the entire concept / dream of a free & fair election goodbye.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8220 on: June 09, 2021, 02:33:08 PM »
As far as I can tell the elected Republican officials in charge of State elections in 2020 were basically traditional back-room Republicans who got the jobs before Trump mania took over, and did the job honestly.  The problem now is that after the 2020 elections its mainly Trump supporters who run the State Republican parties and they are putting their own people in the relevant positions for running the 2022 and 2024 elections.   If I'm right then the administrative brakes on the results of those elections being perverted in Republican-controlled States are disappearing.  Couple that with the push in State legislatures to restrict voting by minorities and young people and increase the power of the legislature to interfere with election results  Add in the hundreds of Trump Republican judges appointed in the last four years and a strong Republican majority on the Supreme Court and I think US democracy could be in serious trouble in the next 3 years.
. This is not that farfetched. Which is really scary to me.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8221 on: June 09, 2021, 02:40:41 PM »

Because the GOP seems ever more bold in their deception and gaslighting. The lack of consequences seems to magnify their bad behavior.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8222 on: June 09, 2021, 02:49:59 PM »

Because the GOP seems ever more bold in their deception and gaslighting. The lack of consequences seems to magnify their bad behavior.

Most politicians are like toddlers.  They have no built-in morality - they live largely for their own pleasure and only respect the rules when they're consistently and dogmatically enforced.  And if a politician gets too used to not following the rules, the bad behaviour just escalates . . . it doesn't ever magically revert back to responsible action.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8223 on: June 09, 2021, 02:56:38 PM »

Most politicians are like toddlers.  They have no built-in morality - they live largely for their own pleasure and only respect the rules when they're consistently and dogmatically enforced.  And if a politician gets too used to not following the rules, the bad behaviour just escalates . . . it doesn't ever magically revert back to responsible action.

Yep. And thanks to Trump, the GOP has learned that his base actively *likes* criminal behavior. Because it "makes liberals cry." And that, I guess, is what they really care about.

Burn it all down, I guess.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8224 on: June 09, 2021, 04:23:07 PM »
I think my worry is less about Trump doing these things to become President, and more about him showing the way for a new generation of autocrats, who will follow in that way by kissing his ring.

Yes, I mean, I'm not a betting guy, but if I were, I'd bet $1000 easy that Trump will never see the White House again. Don't forget his age, health, etc. He's not getting back in. Not investigating the coup (as bad as that is) is not the same thing as forcing him into office via breaking the system with electors - especially on a candidate who has lost at least some of supporters, when he was already heavily unpopular.

I find it much more likely that the breaking of precedent, ignoring of rules, breaking of laws and the Constitution that Trump took part in mean things down the road will be governed less and less by rule of law.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8225 on: June 09, 2021, 06:03:53 PM »

Partially playing devils advocate here, but wouldn’t more attrition of their electorate be at least one consequence? At least a couple dozen gop legislators have publicly acknowledged that repeatedly not winning the popular vote (and by increasingly wider margins) is an existential threat to the party.

I fully acknowledge the threat and power of more voting restrictions, but it seems like they are in a race against themselves - losing voters (as a share of total cast) and trying to compensate by blocking voters. I’m still uncertain which forces will be more powerful, but it doesn’t seem to be a good position to be in, particularly long term.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8226 on: June 10, 2021, 05:37:19 AM »
state level this isnt what's happening.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8227 on: June 10, 2021, 06:25:22 AM »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8228 on: June 10, 2021, 06:28:14 AM »
Trump-adjacent: Lunar New Deal: GOP Rep. Gohmert suggests altering moon's orbit to combat climate change (NBC News)

"I understand, from what's been testified to the Forest Service and the BLM, you want very much to work on the issue of climate change," Gohmert said, referring to the Bureau of Land Management.

"I was informed by the immediate past director of NASA that they've found that the moon's orbit is changing slightly and so is the Earth's orbit around the sun. We know there's been significant solar flare activity," he said. "And so, is there anything that the National Forest Service or BLM can do to change the course of the moon's orbit or the Earth's orbit around the sun? Obviously, that would have profound effects on our climate."

So now the Q-cult is going to buy into climate change but blame Big Science for not doing anything about it.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8229 on: June 10, 2021, 06:31:22 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/06/07/republican-loyalty-trump-isnt-just-about-big-lie-its-much-worse/

This piece seems relevant to the discussion.

Yes. And why isn’t more being made of the fact that none of them are questioning the validity of their own wins last year? Logically, they should be equally suspicious of the results of all down-ballot races. (I do understand that they are not using any process that I recognize as sane logic and are chaos actors.)

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8230 on: June 10, 2021, 09:31:06 AM »
Trump-adjacent: Lunar New Deal: GOP Rep. Gohmert suggests altering moon's orbit to combat climate change (NBC News)

"I understand, from what's been testified to the Forest Service and the BLM, you want very much to work on the issue of climate change," Gohmert said, referring to the Bureau of Land Management.

"I was informed by the immediate past director of NASA that they've found that the moon's orbit is changing slightly and so is the Earth's orbit around the sun. We know there's been significant solar flare activity," he said. "And so, is there anything that the National Forest Service or BLM can do to change the course of the moon's orbit or the Earth's orbit around the sun? Obviously, that would have profound effects on our climate."

So now the Q-cult is going to buy into climate change but blame Big Science for not doing anything about it.

Kind of like people talking about finally wearing masks because vaccinated people are now infecting them with proteins or whatnot. It's all some sort of sad circle...

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8231 on: June 10, 2021, 11:24:12 AM »
That's unfair. There are a lot of moral politicians.
The thing is that on the normal way, as a moral politician you can't get into the top. Corruption favors the corrupt. The amount and type of corruption may be on different levels, but without at least one hand washes the other...

The only way for a moral politician is to do a fast coup using unusual weapons, like AOC did.

What a profound example of the principle that dumb people do not know how dumb they are. Maybe someone should start with letting a brick fall on this person's head and explain gravity. I fear the concept of "orbit" is way too far out of the reach for that idiot (intentional word play here).

Also I am curious how the forest service should change the moon orbit. By growing a really really big - no HUGE - tree?

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8232 on: June 10, 2021, 11:55:34 AM »
Is there really any evidence that politicians are less moral than anyone else? I guess I have this assumption that a segment of any people, when given the opportunity to use their position to slice off a bit of benefit for themselves, will find ways to justify it. I assume it happens up and down the ladders of industry, finance, academics, education, religion, and not just government. But maybe there are studies showing it's more concentrated? Government officials have unique powers, but so do other niches throughout society. I get the sense that there is an actual motive effort to paint government officials as unique in this respect, and that makes me wonder who or what is behind that effort, and for what purpose; and makes me want to resist it too, cause I'm stubborn like that.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8233 on: June 10, 2021, 12:02:34 PM »

Kind of like people talking about finally wearing masks because vaccinated people are now infecting them with proteins or whatnot. It's all some sort of sad circle...

So masks didn't work but now they do...

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8234 on: June 10, 2021, 12:07:39 PM »

Clearly; I just don't understand why you can't keep up... /s

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8235 on: June 10, 2021, 12:08:44 PM »

Wait, is that a thing? We are visiting relatives soon and well, I need to know shit like this.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8236 on: June 10, 2021, 12:09:28 PM »

Wait, is that a thing? We are visiting relatives soon and well, I need to know shit like this.

It is indeed. Amazing, ain’t it?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8237 on: June 10, 2021, 12:16:32 PM »
As an example, the head of this private Florida school insists that the vaccine can cause miscarriages...to women nearby.

Quote from: https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/private-florida-school-employ-vaccinated-teachers-77347282
Centner stood by the decision Tuesday in a statement sent to The Associated Press, which featured the biologically impossible claim that unvaccinated women have experienced miscarriages and other reproductive problems just by standing in proximity to vaccinated people.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/05/03/parent-speaks-out-after-pulling-child-from-centner-academy/

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8238 on: June 10, 2021, 12:32:51 PM »
I wonder if at some point in the future they are going to discover the presence of some toxic chemical that caused mass mental illness during this period of history. 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8239 on: June 10, 2021, 12:34:54 PM »
As an example, the head of this private Florida school insists that the vaccine can cause miscarriages...to women nearby.

Quote from: https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/private-florida-school-employ-vaccinated-teachers-77347282
Centner stood by the decision Tuesday in a statement sent to The Associated Press, which featured the biologically impossible claim that unvaccinated women have experienced miscarriages and other reproductive problems just by standing in proximity to vaccinated people.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/05/03/parent-speaks-out-after-pulling-child-from-centner-academy/

See, I definitely need to know shit like this before it is spewed at me so that I can build up my "I didn't hear anything" armor. There is just no point in trying to refute it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8240 on: June 10, 2021, 12:37:40 PM »
I wonder if at some point in the future they are going to discover the presence of some toxic chemical that caused mass mental illness during this period of history.

Trumpium?

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8241 on: June 10, 2021, 12:44:54 PM »

Kinda like the lead-crime hypothesis

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8242 on: June 10, 2021, 02:52:51 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Note, must look up when various jurisdictions took lead out of gasoline.  Lead is know to negatively affect cognitive development and function, even at very low exposures where the changes are very subtle.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8243 on: June 10, 2021, 05:42:08 PM »

Clearly; I just don't understand why you can't keep up... /s

It's the advanced degree in immunology. I'm brainwashed. /s

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8244 on: June 10, 2021, 08:30:40 PM »

Note, must look up when various jurisdictions took lead out of gasoline.  Lead is know to negatively affect cognitive development and function, even at very low exposures where the changes are very subtle.
Ah, but when lead was taken out other chemicals were put in its place, right?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8245 on: June 10, 2021, 09:15:35 PM »

Ah, but when lead was taken out other chemicals were put in its place, right?

Yes, but not being an engineer of the right sort I have no idea what they were.

Basically a lot of chemicals are grandfathered that potentially have all sorts of effects.  Bisphenol A is an easy example.  Lots are also hormone mimics.  People talk about DDT's toxicity but ignore that one isomer was also a xeno-estrogen. Lots of chemicals are hormone mimics.

Plus food.  Lobsters can be full of mercury or have none, depending on where they were feeding.  Brown rice contains arsenic if the soil it was grown in contains arsenic, rice is really good at taking it up from the soil.  White rice is healthier, the arsenic is removed. There is masses of arsenic in groundwater in the Cobalt area of Ontario.  If you dig a well there and have the water only tested for bacterial contamination it comes out looking really good.  The arsenic kills any E. coli.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8246 on: June 11, 2021, 06:22:10 AM »
Here's Trump using the Justice Department to get the mobile phone information of two Democratic members of the House Intelligence Committee and some House staff.

I can understand that Trump would want to do this and that Sessions and Barr would support him in trying to get it.  I do not understand why Federal judges allowed it to happen.  Nor is there any information at the moment whether Apple handed the information over voluntarily or took any legal action to appeal against it.

Apparently too there were court injunctions against revealing that Apple gave this phone information to the Justice Department which stayed in place until last month - so the Justice Department were still buying into this spying four months after Trump left the Presidency.

Dear dog, what a mess the USA is in.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57438354

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8247 on: June 12, 2021, 12:49:30 PM »

Is Facebook a chemical?

I think social media will be easily the answer to it all. Our brains just do not handle this new pseudo-social connection well. We are not good at it. Deep rooted evolutionary tendencies are easy to trick with a persistent algorithm. I can make myself feel happy or sad or angry (with the chemical byproducts that accompany those feelings) just by thinking about different things, no reason that can't be triggered externally.

Do that long enough and you get depressed. Or brainwashed. If I see 1000 people (50 of them real) saying something to me every day, that represents the world in a brain only able to handle about 100 social connections in a hunting tribe. I cannot even fathom the scale of those 1000 voices compared to the millions who aren't saying it. Was never meant to understand it. Genetically we are no different from small villagers who were witch hunting in the middle ages. Or a savanna tribe needing to work closely with the other 20 members of the tribe, and in this process being unified was more important functionally than being correct.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 12:53:22 PM by StashingAway »

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8248 on: June 12, 2021, 01:47:04 PM »
Why is everyone still talking about Trump? Who gives a shit about that fucking loser?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8249 on: June 12, 2021, 01:51:40 PM »

Is Facebook a chemical?

I think social media will be easily the answer to it all. Our brains just do not handle this new pseudo-social connection well. We are not good at it. Deep rooted evolutionary tendencies are easy to trick with a persistent algorithm. I can make myself feel happy or sad or angry (with the chemical byproducts that accompany those feelings) just by thinking about different things, no reason that can't be triggered externally.

Do that long enough and you get depressed. Or brainwashed. If I see 1000 people (50 of them real) saying something to me every day, that represents the world in a brain only able to handle about 100 social connections in a hunting tribe. I cannot even fathom the scale of those 1000 voices compared to the millions who aren't saying it. Was never meant to understand it. Genetically we are no different from small villagers who were witch hunting in the middle ages. Or a savanna tribe needing to work closely with the other 20 members of the tribe, and in this process being unified was more important functionally than being correct.

Radio started it, TV continued it, social media exponentialized it.  It is the one-way aspect.  The brain engages differently.

We've had long distance communication since trade started and messages were passed.  One-way communication (I.e. writing) was a small part of most people's lives.  Reading is one way but the timing is dependent on the reader.  The reader can stop to think about something in the book/newspaper/letter.  Radio and TV keep going at a pace determined by the producer, not the consumer.