Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 778964 times)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #8150 on: June 03, 2021, 03:09:37 PM »
Worth a listen if you have the time. Josh Rogin a reporter from the Washington Post was on the Joe Rogan podcast. The reporter is neck deep in this stuff and has been all over it. Very interesting listen.

One reason he gave as to why you didnt hear or see as much as expected from Trump / Pompeo going after China early. China said to them "shut up about the origin, or your not getting any masks" True or not I dont know, the reporter hates trump so I dont think he is carrying his water.

Not even worth poking this with a 10 foot pole with a HAZMAT suit on, but thanks

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8151 on: June 03, 2021, 04:59:09 PM »
Joe... Rogan...

Tyler durden

• Bristles
« Reply #8152 on: June 03, 2021, 05:24:31 PM »
Joe... Rogan...

Your right the podcast host is sort of different, best to ignore it all together

The reporter interviewed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/josh-rogin/

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8153 on: June 03, 2021, 07:13:14 PM »

Your right the podcast host is sort of different

lmao

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8154 on: June 03, 2021, 07:23:41 PM »
Is your next reference Jordan Peterson?

Tyler durden

• Bristles
« Reply #8155 on: June 03, 2021, 07:49:36 PM »
Is your next reference Jordan Peterson?

I think I can tell your not bring serious here or arguing in good faith.

To be clear What Joe Rogan has to say on the subject isn’t worth a damn. The journalist whom he interviews and is seemingly quite knowledgeable on the whole thing is worth hearing.

Your not going to get me to defend Rogan. Hell I’m not standing up for him to begin with. I’m just not crapping on a Washington post journalist because he was on that podcast.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8156 on: June 04, 2021, 05:08:40 AM »
I haven't read these latest investigations and kept up with this  (and so I could be corrected). But from what I read  they genetically mapped the virus, pointing to a natural, not man made origin. Coronaviruses have been studied, collected for decades. There are also man made coronaviruses. So I'm not saying that a lab release couldn't happen. I just don't think it's the case here (unless they: collected a naturally occurring (novel, not previously documented) virus, which infected them, and was released into the general public).  https://www.google.com/amp/s/directorsblog.nih.gov/2020/03/26/genomic-research-points-to-natural-origin-of-covid-19/amp/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 05:19:20 AM by partgypsy »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #8157 on: June 04, 2021, 06:58:12 AM »
I haven't read these latest investigations and kept up with this  (and so I could be corrected). But from what I read  they genetically mapped the virus, pointing to a natural, not man made origin. Coronaviruses have been studied, collected for decades. There are also man made coronaviruses. So I'm not saying that a lab release couldn't happen. I just don't think it's the case here (unless they: collected a naturally occurring (novel, not previously documented) virus, which infected them, and was released into the general public).  https://www.google.com/amp/s/directorsblog.nih.gov/2020/03/26/genomic-research-points-to-natural-origin-of-covid-19/amp/

Yeah... it's also entirely possible that a lab was studying this very virus which they obtained from "the wild".  That's what most bio-labs do; they find and isolate viruses in nature and then study them, often looking for a cure/treatment. 

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8158 on: June 04, 2021, 07:16:54 AM »

Yeah... it's also entirely possible that a lab was studying this very virus which they obtained from "the wild".  That's what most bio-labs do; they find and isolate viruses in nature and then study them, often looking for a cure/treatment.

From everything I've read, there is still no evidence that this happened. All the news stories that have been popping up stress that it is <i>possible</i>, but there is remarkably scant evidence for it.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8159 on: June 04, 2021, 07:22:28 AM »

From everything I've read, there is still no evidence that this happened. All the news stories that have been popping up stress that it is <i>possible</i>, but there is remarkably scant evidence for it.

One problem is the Chinese refusal to be honest and open and allow a full investigation.  Are they hiding something specific about Covid-19, are they hiding something else, or are they just being difficult on principle?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8160 on: June 04, 2021, 07:24:10 AM »
Veering back towards Trump...

1) Recent WaPo story detailing how Trump remains "transfixed" by his loss in the November 2020 elections, and remains focused on the Arizona recount.  Several aides report that he thinks the Arizona recall will lead to a 'domino effect' resulting in being re-instated as president.

2) Facebook's Oversight board has recommended that the platform ditch the double-standard for political figures who break FB's hate speech rules.  In effect that would mean posts similar to ones Trump has made would result in a temporary or permanent ban.  While Trump still isn't back on the platform, many of his followers are.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8161 on: June 04, 2021, 07:37:58 AM »

To be fair to the 'from a lab' theory . . . China has a long history of suppressing information that might be damaging/embarrassing to their country.  Causing a global pandemic would certainly fall into this category.  Assuming that it's true, at this point it would be shocking if China has not already destroyed most of the evidence that would point to any sort of culpability.

We know that the Wuhan lab had previous security problems and had accidentally released live viruses that they were investigating in the past.  We know that they were investigating coronaviruses.  We know that several researchers from the lab became sick immediately before the Wuhan outbreak.  We know that the Chinese government tried to hush up the disease when it first got out.  We know that the WHO investigation into the source of coronavirus pandemic effectively discounted the theory of lab leak out of hand and spent no time/effort investigating it.  There was much later a token 'independent' investigation that was fully monitored and controlled by Chinese authorities that found nothing.

There is no solid evidence that the virus came from a Chinese lab.  But we also have no evidence at all that the virus came from zoonotic transfer either (no transfer animal has been identified, which is a bit unusual).  I think that demanding an impartial investigation of the Wuhan labs is a reasonable request, but hold little hope that it will uncover anything at this point.

Tyler durden

• Bristles
« Reply #8162 on: June 04, 2021, 07:48:36 AM »

There is no solid evidence that the virus came from a Chinese lab.  But we also have no evidence at all that the virus came from zoonotic transfer either (no transfer animal has been identified, which is a bit unusual).  I think that demanding an impartial investigation of the Wuhan labs is a reasonable request, but hold little hope that it will uncover anything at this point.

1000% what Stv said.

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8163 on: June 04, 2021, 07:50:02 AM »

To be fair to the 'from a lab' theory . . . China has a long history of suppressing information that might be damaging/embarrassing to their country.  Causing a global pandemic would certainly fall into this category.  Assuming that it's true, at this point it would be shocking if China has not already destroyed most of the evidence that would point to any sort of culpability.

We know that the Wuhan lab had previous security problems and had accidentally released live viruses that they were investigating in the past.  We know that they were investigating coronaviruses.  We know that several researchers from the lab became sick immediately before the Wuhan outbreak.  We know that the Chinese government tried to hush up the disease when it first got out.  We know that the WHO investigation into the source of coronavirus pandemic effectively discounted the theory of lab leak out of hand and spent no time/effort investigating it.  There was much later a token 'independent' investigation that was fully monitored and controlled by Chinese authorities that found nothing.

I try to reverse the situations to see how I would view the strength of the evidence from a different perspective. The Chinese government floated the idea the it was actually the US military that released the virus to attack and undermine China. There is a zero percent chance that the US would allow access to any of our national labs to the Chinese to conduct an investigation of this sort. I bet you could even find some labs in the US that had 3 people get sick at the same time.

I agree that it is possible that it escaped from a lab in China, but I maintain that the evidence that it actually happened is extremely thin. The same reporters in our national press pushing this theory are literally the same ones who pushed the aluminum tubes for nuclear bombs in Iraq.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8164 on: June 04, 2021, 08:17:05 AM »

I try to reverse the situations to see how I would view the strength of the evidence from a different perspective. The Chinese government floated the idea the it was actually the US military that released the virus to attack and undermine China. There is a zero percent chance that the US would allow access to any of our national labs to the Chinese to conduct an investigation of this sort. I bet you could even find some labs in the US that had 3 people get sick at the same time.

I agree that it is possible that it escaped from a lab in China, but I maintain that the evidence that it actually happened is extremely thin. The same reporters in our national press pushing this theory are literally the same ones who pushed the aluminum tubes for nuclear bombs in Iraq.

Lab leaks do happen, and people do die from them.  In 1978 there was a lab leak of smallpox from the Birmingham Medical School in the UK which caused the death of a woman, and a frenzied immediate quarantine to prevent spread of the disease.  In 2014, the FDA moved labs . . . and left a box full of test tubes with viruses in the corner of their own lab.  Including some pretty deadly ones (smallpox again).  https://www.fda.gov/media/101811/download  The CDC has accidentally released live anthrax through simple human error - https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/p0711-lab-safety.html.

My point being . . . mistakes happen in labs, no matter how good the lab is.  But I'm not sure that I agree about your assessment.  In the US, Canada, and the UK there is no ingrained culture of hiding these mistakes.  They're reported and analyzed to prevent future problems.  China on the other hand has a long standing paranoid history of lying about it's mistakes and suppressing information out of political fears.  You can even look at the reports out of Wuhan during the beginning of the pandemic - suppression and censorship of information, muzzling of scientists who were speaking out (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55355401), suppressing the release of the covid-19 genome until Chinese labs had finished decoding it (https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/how-china-blocked-who-chinese-scientists-early-coronavirus-outbreak-n1222246), suppressing private citizens from discussing the spread of the pandemic on media (https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/08/803766743/critics-say-china-has-suppressed-and-censored-information-in-coronavirus-outbrea).  This is not at all the same reaction that non-Chinese labs have.  Lying about mistakes and suppressing truth is very much ingrained in how the Chinese government approaches problems - to a degree that is not mirrored in many other countries.

So sure, I agree with you completely . . . evidence for the lab leak theory is almost entirely circumstantial and very thin.  But there is no stronger evidence for the zoonotic transmission theory at the moment.  To me, that's very troubling.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8165 on: June 04, 2021, 08:52:30 AM »

1) Recent WaPo story detailing how Trump remains "transfixed" by his loss in the November 2020 elections, and remains focused on the Arizona recount.  Several aides report that he thinks the Arizona recall will lead to a 'domino effect' resulting in being re-instated as president.

2) Facebook's Oversight board has recommended that the platform ditch the double-standard for political figures who break FB's hate speech rules.  In effect that would mean posts similar to ones Trump has made would result in a temporary or permanent ban.  While Trump still isn't back on the platform, many of his followers are.

Is Trump transfixed enough by his loss that he's going to spend a year writing a book telling us What Happened? I think it's very natural to be introspective about things like this.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8166 on: June 04, 2021, 08:57:23 AM »

Is Trump transfixed enough by his loss that he's going to spend a year writing a book telling us What Happened? I think it's very natural to be introspective about things like this.

Trump has never, and will never write a book.  He may OK someone else writing a book and then put his name on it later.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #8167 on: June 04, 2021, 09:00:20 AM »

Let's work on Trump reading a book first before he attempts writing a book.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8168 on: June 04, 2021, 09:06:38 AM »

That was cruel.  And very good.   ;-)

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8169 on: June 04, 2021, 09:07:47 AM »

Latest reports suggest he's convinced himself he didn't actually lose.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8170 on: June 04, 2021, 09:35:50 AM »

Latest reports suggest he's convinced himself he didn't actually lose.

duh. 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8171 on: June 04, 2021, 09:57:14 AM »

There is a difference between transfixed and introspective.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8172 on: June 04, 2021, 10:13:00 AM »

There is a difference between transfixed and introspective.

Agreed. HRC publicly admitted she had lost within a few days of the election. Her book IMO spent too much time making excuses and blaming others more than she should, but through it all there was an admission that Trump had gotten more electoral votes and was therefore president

7+ months in Trump is still loudly saying he rightfully won the election, despite all evidence to the contrary.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8173 on: June 04, 2021, 12:11:37 PM »
I think the evidence is ample that Trump is mentally ill and not living in the same reality as the rest of us. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8174 on: June 04, 2021, 12:26:01 PM »
Well Trump gets a 2 year ban on FB, an update on the indefinite ban he had following the Jan 6th insurrection.

Most notably, it will end just after the mid-term elections.  Given Trump's lack of self control I would not be surprised to see him get his account back only to get kicked off a few weeks later for saying some new thing that violates the TOS.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8175 on: June 04, 2021, 12:28:17 PM »
I think the evidence is ample that Trump is mentally ill and not living in the same reality as the rest of us.

It's weirder than that. He's created a reality that tens of millions of us actually are seeming to prefer.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8176 on: June 04, 2021, 01:17:32 PM »

It's weirder than that. He's created a reality that tens of millions of us actually are seeming to prefer.

Yes, lots of mentally ill people in this country.  Makes me sad.  Or should I say, "SAD!"

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8177 on: June 04, 2021, 01:31:07 PM »

No, he has stepped into and amplified a reality that they were already molding.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8178 on: June 04, 2021, 01:45:55 PM »

No, he has stepped into and amplified a reality that they were already molding.

You keep using that word [reality]

... I do not think it means, what you think it means.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8179 on: June 04, 2021, 02:15:16 PM »
Love a good Three Amigos reference, lol

But yeah...alternate (Q) reality that sadly many, many people have fallen victim to

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8180 on: June 04, 2021, 02:22:22 PM »

But yeah...alternate (Q) reality that sadly many, many people have fallen victim to

With all the reboots coming out of Hollywood these days, why not do a Three Amigos and Princess Bride crossover reboot? I would watch it!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8181 on: June 04, 2021, 02:34:29 PM »

With all the reboots coming out of Hollywood these days, why not do a Three Amigos and Princess Bride crossover reboot? I would watch it!

Michael Bay will direct an all star cast of:
Alexander Skarsgård as Westley
Dwayne Johnson as Fezzik
Antonio Banderas as Iñigo Montoya
Danny Devito as Vizzini
Eric Trump as Prince Humperdinck

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8182 on: June 04, 2021, 02:40:50 PM »

Dwayne Johnson as Fezzik
Danny Devito as Vizzini

Let's go really off topic, here for your viewing pleasure:

Inigo vs. Westley: Princess Bride Perfection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0rkUbrPo3k

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8183 on: June 04, 2021, 03:28:35 PM »
She talks a lot.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8184 on: June 04, 2021, 03:30:47 PM »

Dwayne Johnson as Fezzik
Danny Devito as Vizzini

Who will be miracle Max? Can Crystal come back?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8185 on: June 04, 2021, 03:38:35 PM »

Dwayne Johnson as Fezzik
Danny Devito as Vizzini

Crystal would just need a bit less makeup than last time.  I figure Eugene Levy can do it if Crystal doesn't want to.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8186 on: June 04, 2021, 04:14:22 PM »

Dwayne Johnson as Fezzik
Danny Devito as Vizzini

This made me laugh out loud! Great casting! And yes Billy Crystal and his wife just need a little less makeup, they are good.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8187 on: June 04, 2021, 04:48:11 PM »

Dwayne Johnson as Fezzik
Danny Devito as Vizzini

Crystal would just need a bit less makeup than last time.  I figure Eugene Levy can do it if Crystal doesn't want to.

Instead of Johnson for Fezzik, why not Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson?  Seems closer to casting André to me. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8188 on: June 04, 2021, 06:50:16 PM »

Dwayne Johnson as Fezzik
Danny Devito as Vizzini

Instead of Johnson for Fezzik, why not Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson?  Seems closer to casting André to me.

I'm unclear if he has the comedic chops necessary . . . but sure, we can throw his hat in the ring!

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8189 on: June 04, 2021, 07:26:11 PM »

Dwayne Johnson as Fezzik
Danny Devito as Vizzini

I'm unclear if he has the comedic chops necessary . . . but sure, we can throw his hat in the ring!

I’d like to see Jim Gaffigan and Tig Notaro in the roles of miracle max and Valerie.

Kate Winslet as Buttercup.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8190 on: June 04, 2021, 08:05:18 PM »

Dwayne Johnson as Fezzik
Danny Devito as Vizzini

I’d like to see Jim Gaffigan and Tig Notaro in the roles of miracle max and Valerie.

Kate Winslet as Buttercup.

I thought long and hard about Buttercup . . . but honestly came to the conclusion that her character had zero personality no important lines in the original so figure pretty much any actress could do the role.

The more difficult roles to fill would be those played by the kid and and Coloumbo.  The natural choice for a man reading a book in any movie is obviously Morgan Freeman . . . but I can't think of any young black actors obnoxious enough to fill Fred Savage's role.  Jaden Smith is too old, right?

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8191 on: June 05, 2021, 10:50:11 AM »
I just want to say I'm very thankful that Trump's out of office and as such less able to have outrages of the day to the point we can have a serious reboot of Princess Bride casting OT conversation without having to diverge back on topic to something where he violated the Constitution or tried to destroy democracy or something. It's kind of a breath of fresh air.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8192 on: June 05, 2021, 03:49:07 PM »
Now Trump wants to run for the House in 2022 so that the Trumpists can take it back in a landslide, making Trump Speaker, and then leading impeachment of Joe Biden.

Seriously? You can’t make this stuff up!

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #8193 on: June 05, 2021, 04:48:36 PM »
Now Trump wants to run for the House in 2022 so that the Trumpists can take it back in a landslide, making Trump Speaker, and then leading impeachment of Joe Biden.

Being a house member is actually not a requirement to being the Speaker. The House could actually appoint anyone to being Speaker.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #8194 on: June 06, 2021, 08:10:57 AM »

Wow, this proves, again, that reality is stranger than fiction...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8195 on: June 06, 2021, 10:21:48 AM »
Today on NPR:
“Trump is on the campaign trail again in North Carolina...”

WTF.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8196 on: June 06, 2021, 11:19:54 AM »
If he is convicted of a felony he isn't eligible, right?  Some of those state prosecutors need to get their act together.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8197 on: June 06, 2021, 11:36:23 AM »
Trump, from a few accounts, has told others of his belief in his August reinstatement. If there's another insurrection, what are the chances of him getting tossed into the clinker? Will Andrew Clyde once again claim that he was barricading the chamber doors to "tourists?"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/captiol-riot-andrew-clyde-chamber-b1848332.html

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8198 on: June 06, 2021, 11:39:15 AM »
If he is convicted of a felony he isn't eligible, right?  Some of those state prosecutors need to get their act together.

A felony conviction does not disqualify a citizen from being a member of Congress - only as president. It is in undefined what he is campaigning for, only that he is campaigning against the reality of the 2020 election.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8199 on: June 06, 2021, 07:55:56 PM »
I feel like there are literally hundreds of House districts in which Trump, himself, could run and win without any suspense. I'm sure a dozen of those are in Florida.

But if you've built a brand in which you deserve to be the Alpha Male, is it really alpha to be an ex-President campaigning for a seat in the lower House of the legislature? I think he likes better being a "shadow President", knowing millions of people want him in that role, but not having to do any actual work.

And would Trump be any good as a Speaker? People literally only want him to be that so he could become President, but the last former speaker to become President was in 1845.