Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779076 times)

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #7550 on: February 25, 2021, 04:48:48 PM »
TVA

I was talking to my spouse and ILs about this over the weekend. They come from an area west of the Mississippi without an electric cooperative and thought I was kidding about how the electricity is here.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7551 on: February 26, 2021, 09:02:47 AM »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7552 on: February 26, 2021, 09:11:48 AM »
Seriously, is there a special FLIP FLOP school these people go to?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mitch-mcconnell-now-says-hed-absolutely-support-trump-in-2024-after-savaging-him-for-capitol-attack/ar-BB1e3gIY

They're just doing what the people who vote for them demand.  The people who vote Republican were very vocal about their disappointment that the US government was not recently overthrown by their coup.

Why stand in the way of what your base wants?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7553 on: February 26, 2021, 09:14:12 AM »
I know the GOP is a bunch of self serving liars with absolutely no morals, but I don't even understand backing Trump still.  He fucking lost, he's a loser.  He lost the house, senate, and the presidency, and is possibly in legal trouble.  Why are they still aligning with him?  I know he still has his base, but we've just shown that's not enough to retain power.  I hope the entire party implodes under its own stupidity. 

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7554 on: February 26, 2021, 09:38:06 AM »
I know the GOP is a bunch of self serving liars with absolutely no morals, but I don't even understand backing Trump still.  He fucking lost, he's a loser.  He lost the house, senate, and the presidency, and is possibly in legal trouble.  Why are they still aligning with him? 

One word: Money. They wrote out $300m+ in donations to the T "legal fund" in December 2020.

The base isn't big enough to win the presidency, but it did a remarkable job in the Senate, and they've sewn up SCOTUS. If they can continue to disenfranchise voters in places like Michigan. Georgia and TX, it's good enough to stay in power in the Senate and House - and rake in the bucks until the person in question "retires" to become a lobbyist.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7555 on: February 26, 2021, 12:28:32 PM »
You really cannot make up this shit: This golden statue of Trump at CPAC is a perfect metaphor for the state of the GOP

I know I've been an out and proud atheist for nearly a decade, but I did spend most of my life as an active participant in Catholic worship and education. I definitely remember something about golden idols being a bad idea...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7556 on: February 26, 2021, 05:56:02 PM »
I hope the entire party implodes under its own stupidity.

They have a lock on too many states for that to happen.

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
« Reply #7557 on: February 27, 2021, 09:10:30 AM »
You really cannot make up this shit: This golden statue of Trump at CPAC is a perfect metaphor for the state of the GOP

I know I've been an out and proud atheist for nearly a decade, but I did spend most of my life as an active participant in Catholic worship and education. I definitely remember something about golden idols being a bad idea...

it's not a cult. /sarcasm

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7558 on: February 27, 2021, 01:35:03 PM »

it's not a cult. /sarcasm
Wouldn't a sect designation be more appropriate by now?

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7559 on: March 01, 2021, 06:47:02 AM »
I thought for sure someone would have mentioned this: the stage of cpac in the shape of a hate symbol/icon used by nazis and white supremacists? https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN2AS0R2
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 06:48:45 AM by partgypsy »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7560 on: March 01, 2021, 06:48:04 AM »
Just coincidental.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7561 on: March 01, 2021, 06:57:12 AM »
I believe Trump is only influential if the media give him coverage, so I've very intentionally not clicked on any link with the name "Trump" in the headline. I didn't watch the speech yesterday, but I saw the headline about him listing the names of members of Congress who voted to impeach/remove him, and I must admit, wow!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/28/us/politics/trump-cpac-republicans.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

I'm trying to understand why someone would do this. I'm trying to understand how we got to the point where so many people think this is normal and desirable in a country with anything approaching democratic values. It seems positively authoritarian.

I've been ignoring him, but I'm starting to worry whether it's truly safe to do so.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7562 on: March 01, 2021, 07:17:27 AM »
Just coincidental.

Maybe.

Republicans have been very openly embracing white supremacy for some time now . . . so I could see it being a conscious choice that someone made and thought there was plausible deniability for.  That seems at least as likely as an accident at this point.  Can't say definitively one way or another though.

I believe Trump is only influential if the media give him coverage, so I've very intentionally not clicked on any link with the name "Trump" in the headline. I didn't watch the speech yesterday, but I saw the headline about him listing the names of members of Congress who voted to impeach/remove him, and I must admit, wow!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/28/us/politics/trump-cpac-republicans.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

I'm trying to understand why someone would do this. I'm trying to understand how we got to the point where so many people think this is normal and desirable in a country with anything approaching democratic values. It seems positively authoritarian.

I've been ignoring him, but I'm starting to worry whether it's truly safe to do so.

According to every poll and survey, Trump is pretty much the heart and soul of the Republican Party.  His every action is MASSIVELY popular among Republican voters.  I'm not sure that simply ignoring what just under half the country believes in is a safe decision to make.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7563 on: March 01, 2021, 08:01:35 AM »
Two very important signals for the paleo-conservative Trump movement have been removed, however: Trump's twitter presence, and the Rush Limbaugh radio voice. Sure other things exist, but it's a lot harder for this movement to coordinate now than it was on Jan. 5, 2021. I suppose we'll learn whether this is true on March 4.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7564 on: March 01, 2021, 09:41:06 AM »
This is a good point.  I live in a state where there is a $5/month/kW fee for solar power.  We don't get quite enough sun for a completely off-grid system to be feasible so the power company charges a fee to offset the amount that you wouldn't be paying them for.
To be fair, power you are generating but not using goes back into the grid which the grid companies need to balance their output to.

In my country (the Netherlands) you get to correct your usage with your over production at 0 extra cost. However, if you produce more than you're actually using you can get 7 to 8 eurocents per kWh rather than the tariff you're paying (around 20-22). Reason being that the difference is taxes and costs to keep the network running and balanced.
This tax-free correction is going to be replaced with a more similar system you are describing though. If on a summer day I produce more than I use, I get a few cents per kWh and pay full price when I use more (like in the evening). But, my system is way to small to make a Powerwall or some such viable :(

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7565 on: March 02, 2021, 05:22:29 AM »
Just coincidental.

Maybe.

Republicans have been very openly embracing white supremacy for some time now . . . so I could see it being a conscious choice that someone made and thought there was plausible deniability for.  That seems at least as likely as an accident at this point.  Can't say definitively one way or another though.

According to every poll and survey, Trump is pretty much the heart and soul of the Republican Party.  His every action is MASSIVELY popular among Republican voters.  I'm not sure that simply ignoring what just under half the country believes in is a safe decision to make.

There is a lot of "hidden" signaling, but this one is rediculous. You must be fairly deep into it to even know that sign. Then it is upside down and you need fantasy to see it out of the structure.
Way too much brain for the right wing nuts ;)

Such a thing happened before, even several times. I think even Obama once had an arrangement in the background with something from the gas champer unit?
It is simply impossible to completely avoid a multitude of quite simple structures even if you tried to. Not to mention people who don't knwo the difference between a Hitler Swastika and the map symbol for a temple on Japanese maps (they wanted to change it for the Olympics, don't know if that happened).

That Trump is a total authoritarian and his fans love him for exactly that - I am surprised anybody can be surprised about that though. Ever heard of Victor Orban for example? Same stuff. Everywhere in the world. A certain, big part of the people just loves a "strong man" that goes against "the others". And they only care about democracy if they are the ones that have the vote. Demoracy is not a value in itself, it is only one of several to serve their needs. If a different method looks better...

It's strange that people can clearly see it when it happens in China, but not when it happens in their own country.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7566 on: March 02, 2021, 06:05:41 AM »
I understood not wanting to spread COVID across the globe via an Olympic games, but I'm tired of waiting for Simone Biles to take her rightful place at the top of the medal podium in gymnastics. Maybe we could just have the gymnists compete?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #7567 on: March 02, 2021, 06:52:17 AM »
I understood not wanting to spread COVID across the globe via an Olympic games, but I'm tired of waiting for Simone Biles to take her rightful place at the top of the medal podium in gymnastics. Maybe we could just have the gymnists compete?

At the risk of veering wildly off-topic, this is yet another example of why the Olympics needs to abandon the "single-city, rotational" approach to the games.

The games are now way too big, way too costly, and the events too varied to be successfully carried out by a single host-city (or even nation) even during non-pandemic times.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7568 on: March 02, 2021, 06:59:58 AM »
I think Donald Trump is the first American President since Jimmy Carter to not have the US compete in a summer Olympic games during his time in the White House. So this is completely in line with the topic. Trump failed us in yet another area.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7569 on: March 02, 2021, 07:09:25 AM »
I think Donald Trump is the first American President since Jimmy Carter to not have the US compete in a summer Olympic games during his time in the White House. So this is completely in line with the topic. Trump failed us in yet another area.

I'm all for blaming Trump for stuff... but hard to see how any US President could have saved this Olympic games (hosted overseas).
;-P

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7570 on: March 02, 2021, 07:11:18 AM »

While I'm not a fan of Trump, seems a bit of a stretch to place the blame for this squarely at his feet.  :P

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7571 on: March 02, 2021, 08:15:31 AM »

I'm all for blaming Trump for stuff... but hard to see how any US President could have saved this Olympic games (hosted overseas).
;-P

Yeah...hard to send a team if the event itself has been postponed.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7572 on: March 02, 2021, 08:17:53 AM »
In Texas vernacular, y'all are missing the sarcasm.

Edit: Or humor. Y'all are missing the humor. Either way, I suspect that what talltexan wrote is not literal.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 08:22:27 AM by bacchi »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7573 on: March 02, 2021, 08:26:38 AM »

Edit: Or humor. Y'all are missing the humor. Either way, I suspect that what talltexan wrote is not literal.

Thanks, Obama.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7574 on: March 02, 2021, 08:29:35 AM »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7575 on: March 02, 2021, 11:02:20 AM »

Jimmy Carter: made the decision to boycott 1980 Olympics in Moscow. It was done in protest of Soviets' invasion of Afghanistan. Whose fault was it? Carter or USSRs?

Donald Trump: During his time as President, the US failed to contain a SARS-based covorona virus despite years of policy and vaccine infrastructure build out by the two preceding Presidents. The US pulled out of the WHO at a moment when WHO coordination could have lessened the impact of the virus globally. That virus impact proved so substantial that host-Japan asked to postpone the games. 

Look, I know this thread is devoted to hating on Trump, so don't we owe it to ourselves to examine the blame he might deserve for the games' postponement?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 12:04:09 PM by talltexan »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7576 on: March 02, 2021, 11:59:18 AM »

Thanks, Obama.

Obama?  What?  No. Blame Canada!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7577 on: March 02, 2021, 12:14:40 PM »

Thanks, Obama.

Leave America's hat out of this!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #7578 on: March 02, 2021, 12:20:28 PM »

Thanks, Obama.

Unless Canada becomes a cowboy 10 gallon hat, screw em :)

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7579 on: March 02, 2021, 03:50:17 PM »

While I'm not a fan of Trump, seems a bit of a stretch to place the blame for this squarely at his feet.  :P

But, if enough of us repeat it on the internet it becomes true.  Just ask Qanon & the other Trump fan clubs.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7580 on: March 02, 2021, 04:09:52 PM »

But, if enough of us repeat it on the internet it becomes true.  Just ask Qanon & the other Trump fan clubs.

The election was stolen. Didn't you get the memo? If not, Trump and Cruz made sure to remind everyone this week.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7581 on: March 02, 2021, 05:25:19 PM »
Cruz had to swing through mexico to check out a ballot-harvesting operation where the Spanish affiliate of Dominion owned a warehouse.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7582 on: March 02, 2021, 07:25:38 PM »

Thanks, Obama.

Unless Canada becomes a cowboy 10 gallon hat, screw em :)

What if Trump is actually Canadian?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7583 on: March 03, 2021, 04:10:27 AM »

At the risk of veering wildly off-topic, this is yet another example of why the Olympics needs to abandon the "single-city, rotational" approach to the games.

The games are now way too big, way too costly, and the events too varied to be successfully carried out by a single host-city (or even nation) even during non-pandemic times.
That would never happen. If you spread out the games, the whole bribery system would break down. The IOC is never going to do that!

Since then he could not have bcome president, that means everything he did as president would automatically be reversed? Would save a lot of time!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7584 on: March 03, 2021, 04:47:00 AM »

Since then he could not have bcome president, that means everything he did as president would automatically be reversed? Would save a lot of time!
That, in a nut shell, explains why many chose to pursue the ‘birther’ conspiracy pushed by Trump.  And racism.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7585 on: March 03, 2021, 06:17:10 AM »
Ted Cruz was born in Canada, but he seems to be getting along just fine in American politics. Re-elected to US Senate and runner-up in 2016 Republican primary.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7586 on: March 03, 2021, 07:04:19 AM »
Ted Cruz was born in Canada, but he seems to be getting along just fine in American politics. Re-elected to US Senate and runner-up in 2016 Republican primary.

I'll talk to someone here and add him to the list.

Canada officially apologizes for:
- Celine Dion
- Nickelback
- Ted Cruz
Sorry world, our bad.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7587 on: March 03, 2021, 07:40:55 AM »

See, it's fine if you're born outside of the US to a born-American mother, even if your father is not American and you're born in a country where neither of your parents are current citizens, as long as you're white and they give you a "non-foreign" nickname (e.g., Ted). No one will ever question your eligibility for the presidency.

(But if you're black and born on US soil to a born-American mother, who then gives you a non-foreign nickname like Barry, and you're partly raised by your WWII vet grandfather, then apparently your citizenship status is suspect because of course your absent non-white, non-citizen father overrides all of your US relatives and their influences.)

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7588 on: March 03, 2021, 07:42:47 AM »

- Celine Dion
- Nickelback
- Ted Cruz
Sorry world, our bad.
Wait, what?! Nickleback isn't actually that bad, if you censor out the balads...

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7589 on: March 03, 2021, 09:18:39 AM »

- Celine Dion
- Nickelback
- Ted Cruz
Sorry world, our bad.

Don't forget Justin Bieber. ;)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7590 on: March 03, 2021, 11:34:18 AM »
In spring 2008, as John McCain pulled off primary victories to save his candidacy, then Senators Clinton and Obama--who were themselves competing for the Presidency--co-sponsored a bill in the Senate declaring McCain a "Natural Born Citizen" despite his having been born outside of the US. At the time, McCain's father (a Navy Admiral) was serving our country in the Panama Canal Zone. Obama only co-sponsored this bill because the details of his own birth were so murky that he hoped to direct suspicion away from himself.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7591 on: March 03, 2021, 11:49:10 AM »
In spring 2008, as John McCain pulled off primary victories to save his candidacy, then Senators Clinton and Obama--who were themselves competing for the Presidency--co-sponsored a bill in the Senate declaring McCain a "Natural Born Citizen" despite his having been born outside of the US. At the time, McCain's father (a Navy Admiral) was serving our country in the Panama Canal Zone. Obama only co-sponsored this bill because the details of his own birth were so murky that he hoped to direct suspicion away from himself.

I think your tinfoil hat is slipping off - might want to adjust it.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7592 on: March 03, 2021, 11:50:20 AM »
huh?

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7593 on: March 03, 2021, 09:26:10 PM »
🙄

That’s an eye roll emoji...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7594 on: March 04, 2021, 04:43:16 AM »
So my conspiracy-minded in-laws tell me today is “Inauguration Day” for Trump.

Meanwhile, the house has decided not to be in session today for fear of another attack.  The Senate will be, though...

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
« Reply #7595 on: March 04, 2021, 06:04:28 AM »
So my conspiracy-minded in-laws tell me today is “Inauguration Day” for Trump.

Meanwhile, the house has decided not to be in session today for fear of another attack.  The Senate will be, though...

sorry but LOL. I can't believe people believe this one

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7596 on: March 04, 2021, 07:43:59 AM »
I am sure the Repugs will soon all have a miniature golden Trump statues on their desks and maybe they will have golden Trump statue necklaces too. The mini version of the statues will most likely be sold as MAGA merch at his rallies. Hahaha! Pez dispencers?

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7597 on: March 04, 2021, 07:48:07 AM »
I am sure the Repugs will soon all have a miniature golden Trump statues on their desks and maybe they will have golden Trump statue necklaces too. The mini version of the statues will most likely be sold as MAGA merch at his rallies. Hahaha! Pez dispencers?

might be a good business opportunity.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7598 on: March 04, 2021, 08:26:06 AM »

might be a good business opportunity.

"Suckers LLC" dba "MAGA 4ever"

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7599 on: March 04, 2021, 08:29:37 AM »
Early in 2017, I heard someone compare Trump's ability to move and shape public opinion on twitter to FDR's fireside chats on the nascent medium of radio. It occurred to me then that we might be seeing the start of a 9+ year Presidency. I wondered how I would go about pulling together the resources to write a book arguing that Trump would run for and win a third term.

A combination of my own laziness and horror at his policies meant I never really explored this. It's easy for me to view the activity on this thread and believe I could have pulled together $30,000 or more via a GoFundMe for such a book.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!