Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 533377 times)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #6350 on: January 06, 2021, 01:23:14 PM »
I'm hearing similar reports from Georgia. 

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6351 on: January 06, 2021, 01:25:54 PM »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.  Too much complacency in the USA for too long.

GreenEggs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6352 on: January 06, 2021, 01:34:11 PM »
Extra sore LOSERS!!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6353 on: January 06, 2021, 01:39:42 PM »
Holy shit.

Reports are that they're trying to break into the House Chamber. Shots are being fired.

National Guard has been called.

Washington Post reporting that the DoD denied the DCPD's request to utilize the Guard.
what the hell?

Is this coup supported by the military?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6354 on: January 06, 2021, 01:42:12 PM »
Holy shit.

Reports are that they're trying to break into the House Chamber. Shots are being fired.

National Guard has been called.

Washington Post reporting that the DoD denied the DCPD's request to utilize the Guard.
what the hell?

Is this coup supported by the military?

ABC is now reporting that the Guard is finally being activated. 

tygertygertyger

• Stubble
« Reply #6355 on: January 06, 2021, 01:50:35 PM »
I'm hearing it's the Virginia National Guard being activated...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #6356 on: January 06, 2021, 01:57:24 PM »
Reports from Kansas say that protesters have also stormed the Kansas statehouse.

What's the reasoning behind that?
Yeah, color me confused. A ruby-red state which just elected a slate of GOP to congress is being stormed by right wing extremists?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6357 on: January 06, 2021, 02:02:44 PM »
Thereís a Protester sitting in the Speakerís chair in the Chamber.

Pelosiís offices are being ransacked.

rab-bit

• Stubble
« Reply #6358 on: January 06, 2021, 02:03:19 PM »
I hope this can serve as a wakeup call to some of these Republican congressman. Ted Cruz isn't stupid, but he supported the charade of objecting to the vote as a political game, knowing that it wouldn't lead anywhere. I wonder what he thinks now that this has put our democracy, not to mention himself and his colleagues, in danger.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6359 on: January 06, 2021, 02:03:27 PM »
Reports from Kansas say that protesters have also stormed the Kansas statehouse.

Yeah, color me confused. A ruby-red state which just elected a slate of GOP to congress is being stormed by right wing extremists?
Trump has spent the last 5 years destroying fact and logic in 90% of Republicans.  Why are you confused about that now?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6360 on: January 06, 2021, 02:15:21 PM »
I hope this can serve as a wakeup call to some of these Republican congressman. Ted Cruz isn't stupid, but he supported the charade of objecting to the vote as a political game, knowing that it wouldn't lead anywhere. I wonder what he thinks now that this has put our democracy, not to mention himself and his colleagues, in danger.

I'm guessing it's something along the lines of:

"Hee hee hee . . . As long as my base is happy, who gives a shit."

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6361 on: January 06, 2021, 02:18:48 PM »

Pence and McConnell:

"Damn, should've waited a few more minutes before crossing Trump."

rab-bit

• Stubble
« Reply #6362 on: January 06, 2021, 02:25:46 PM »

Pence and McConnell:

"Damn, should've waited a few more minutes before crossing Trump."

Well, at least now McConnell can say: "I told you so."

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6363 on: January 06, 2021, 02:27:36 PM »
I expect about the same level of response as was taken in the Seattle CHOP protests.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6364 on: January 06, 2021, 02:36:09 PM »
So, I guess the "outrage of the day" is inciting and supporting sedition and insurrection against the United States.

I'm confused because I thought he was supposed to stop that from happening, not do it himself. *shrug*

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6365 on: January 06, 2021, 02:37:36 PM »

The headlines I could googles said "protesters allowed in for peaceful protest" but all Kansas news outlet seem to lock me out due to GDPR...

dcozad999

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6366 on: January 06, 2021, 02:48:32 PM »
Protest in Kansas is over. They cleared out.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6367 on: January 06, 2021, 02:50:38 PM »
Thanks.  These news outlet GDPR blocks are really annoying.  For paywalls you can at least see the headline but the GDPR blocks are site-wide. :(

MudPuppy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6368 on: January 06, 2021, 03:23:59 PM »
I expect about the same level of response as was taken in the Seattle CHOP protests.

Are you implying these are comparable situations?

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #6369 on: January 06, 2021, 03:34:15 PM »
I'm hearing it's the Virginia National Guard being activated...
Also heard soon after that Gov Hogan was activating the Maryland National Guard.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6370 on: January 06, 2021, 03:42:37 PM »

Are you implying these are comparable situations?

There are certain kinds of creatures for who the seat of the nationís democracy is only as sacred as a couple of crossroads in downtown.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 03:45:20 PM by ctuser1 »

MudPuppy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6371 on: January 06, 2021, 03:43:46 PM »
Oh right. Silly me!

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6372 on: January 06, 2021, 04:08:33 PM »
Storming the capital.  Watch our country get destroyed live on tv!

https://www.livenewsnow.com/american/cnn-news-usa.html

During this  heightened  political unrest at the Capitol building and some statehouses, America's governmental arrangement of separation of powers, checks and balances, and dispersion of power, in combination with all   of her  long-standing institutions of ordered liberty, preordain only one outcome: America will not falter.

"This too shall pass."
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 04:16:38 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
  • Here to learn.
« Reply #6373 on: January 06, 2021, 04:10:22 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/06/politics/donald-trump-capitol-mob/index.html

More of his flippin' lies! Why can't he just be quiet, calm people down and encourage them homeward???

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6374 on: January 06, 2021, 04:12:11 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/06/politics/donald-trump-capitol-mob/index.html

More of his flippin' lies! Why can't he just be quiet, calm people down and encourage them homeward???

He has no idea how to do that.

The ardent Trump supporter that I am finally ready to block rather than just snooze and snooze and snooze is claiming that 1) there is absolutely no reason to blame Trump for this, everybody is responsible for their own actions and 2) the violence is all antifa anyway.

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6375 on: January 06, 2021, 04:27:24 PM »
Just heard the woman who had been shot has died. Blood has been spilled over 45's madness.

He riled up his fascist base, then told them to go home in the name of peace once the purpose of disrupting the Congress session had been served. And his base are idiots who followed his orders. Vanilla ISIS. Y'all Qaeda.

Co-worker told me FB is down in the DC area.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 04:30:50 PM by jinga nation »

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #6376 on: January 06, 2021, 04:29:43 PM »
Storming the capital.  Watch our country get destroyed live on tv!

https://www.livenewsnow.com/american/cnn-news-usa.html

During this  heightened  political unrest at the Capitol building and some statehouses, America's governmental arrangement of separation of powers, checks and balances, and dispersion of power, in combination with all   of her  long-standing institutions of ordered liberty, preordain only one outcome: America will not falter.

"This too shall pass."

I admire your optimism, but I don't fully share it. We are seeing a large percentage of the population express a desire to simply disregard election results. This sentiment extends all the way up to the president and many members of Congress. The rule of law only works when people agree to abide by it, and a lot of folks don't right now. "John Marshall has made his decision; now let him enforce it!"

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6377 on: January 06, 2021, 04:32:19 PM »
I want more focus on domestic terrorists and reduction/elimination of the TSA airport security theater.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6378 on: January 06, 2021, 04:51:05 PM »
Would have been a scary sight in DC.

Surprised the police didn't shoot all the protestors. For all of the times that police in the states have been trigger happy, they seemed to use admirable restraint today.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6379 on: January 06, 2021, 04:53:02 PM »

Surprised the police didn't shoot all the protestors. For all of the times that police in the states have been trigger happy, they seemed to use admirable restraint today.

Why are you surprised? These rioters were white.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6380 on: January 06, 2021, 04:53:38 PM »

The Ďprotestersí are largely white.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6381 on: January 06, 2021, 04:53:51 PM »

The violent protestors were white. We knew they would be white, so a pre emptive request for the National Guard was turned down.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • Target FI date 2027 (maybe?)
« Reply #6382 on: January 06, 2021, 05:01:20 PM »
The electoral certification will resume tonight. I wonder: 1) if there will be many more objections, and 2) if they will just go ahead and impeach while they are at it.

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6383 on: January 06, 2021, 05:03:21 PM »
Anyone else follow Heather Cox Richardson?  She doesn't think Trump will be president for even 2 more days, never mind 2 weeks.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6384 on: January 06, 2021, 05:06:46 PM »
Quite the outrageous day...

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6385 on: January 06, 2021, 05:10:58 PM »
The electoral certification will resume tonight. I wonder: 1) if there will be many more objections, and 2) if they will just go ahead and impeach while they are at it.

I mean, a joint session seems like the perfect opportunity to get through the whole impeachment process in one fell swoop...

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6386 on: January 06, 2021, 05:13:29 PM »
Anyone else follow Heather Cox Richardson?  She doesn't think Trump will be president for even 2 more days, never mind 2 weeks.
I do but I haven't seen that yet.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6387 on: January 06, 2021, 05:22:26 PM »

Methinks it's much more likely ignorance and  unreason is behind it.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6388 on: January 06, 2021, 05:25:52 PM »

I haven't read any of her commentary for at least a year or so.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6389 on: January 06, 2021, 05:46:21 PM »

The violent protestors were white. We knew they would be white, so a pre emptive request for the National Guard was turned down.

^^^This. They were ready with tear gas and rubber bullets last summer when BLM protestors were outside the White House, behind the barriers.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6390 on: January 06, 2021, 05:50:20 PM »

^^^This. They were ready with tear gas and rubber bullets last summer when BLM protestors were outside the White House, behind the barriers.

Worse than that. DC police and building security let them in. If you're black or disabled holding a sign in front of the Capitol you get tear gas and a club over the head. If you're an assault rifle-carrying, MAGA hat wearing, All Liberals Must Die t-shirt wearing rioter you get a "here, let me help you with that." 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6391 on: January 06, 2021, 05:58:23 PM »
It's an interesting day to be a Republican politician. There is so much hand-wringing going on right now. So many of the same people who have been screaming "stop the steal" are now insisting "this isn't us, I didn't know this would happen, we're the party of law and order." Shut the fuck up. This is exactly you. These people have been your base of support for four years. They bully people while waving guns around as a lifestyle choice. They told you they were coming to D.C. to commit violence and insurrection. They spelled out their plans on their websites and have been carrying signs and wearing shirts all week that say "we're here to kill people." Guess what? Someone is now dead. They put the US Congress under siege. One of these assholes ended up sitting in the Vice President's chair.  And the President of the United States egged them on. "Don't be weak." "We'll never surrender." And after the riot was dispersed he said "You're all special." Half the Republicans in Congress committed themselves to disrupting today's count. You fuckers made your bed. Lie in it. That goes double for Pence and McConnell. This is the culmination of four years (eight for McConnell) of tap dancing around their oaths of office. You don't get to make impassioned speeches at the 11th hour and get forgiveness.

edit: considering the people who voted them into office, they could have all doubled-down like Paxton in Texas is doing and said "hell yeah, come back again tomorrow" and they'd be reelected.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 06:02:41 PM by Travis »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #6392 on: January 06, 2021, 06:05:34 PM »
The icing on the cake -
(CNN Business) Twitter said Wednesday it has locked President Donald Trump's account for 12 hours, and warned for the first time that it may suspend him permanently.

The temporary lock reflects Trump's violation of the Twitter rules, the company said.

"We have required the removal of three @realDonaldTrump Tweets that were posted earlier today for repeated and severe violations of our Civic Integrity Policy," Twitter said. "This means that the account of @realDonaldTrump will be locked for 12 hours following the removal of these Tweets. If the Tweets are not removed, the account will remain locked."
Twitter added that "future violations... will result in permanent suspension of the @realDonaldTrump account."
The announcement marks a major escalation by Twitter against Trump's account and responds to calls by civil rights groups for Trump to be banned from the platform.

So ... much ... winning, the GOP must be getting tired of all this winning.

Taran Wanderer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6393 on: January 06, 2021, 06:08:17 PM »
In the last three days, Trump has been recorded advocating for election fraud and active insurrection. Can the Congress role right from electoral vote counting to impeachment to trial and removal?  This needs to be over.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6394 on: January 06, 2021, 06:14:32 PM »
In a couple of weeks this will all be over and any future protest or riot response will be the responsibility of Biden and Co.

Hopefully things will just be kum ba yah

Sandi_k

• Bristles
« Reply #6395 on: January 06, 2021, 06:15:56 PM »

Karl Racine, AG for the District of Columbia, asked CNN to pull up images of the preparations for BLM in the summer, and contrast them with the lightly-staffed PD on site today, even with "advance intelligence" on the planned escalation and violence.

I hope they do.

sui generis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6396 on: January 06, 2021, 06:16:35 PM »
There are reports that, in securing the Capitol, all the insurrections were escorted out and . . . sent on their way to enjoy the rest of their evening.  WTF?  They don't even get arrested for storming the US Capitol?  That is batshit.

P.S.  Heather Cox Richardson said the thing about Trump not lasting 2 more days on her live feed.

Sandi_k

• Bristles
« Reply #6397 on: January 06, 2021, 06:17:19 PM »
STANDING APPLAUSE.

I salute you, sir!

It's an interesting day to be a Republican politician. There is so much hand-wringing going on right now. So many of the same people who have been screaming "stop the steal" are now insisting "this isn't us, I didn't know this would happen, we're the party of law and order." Shut the fuck up. This is exactly you. These people have been your base of support for four years. They bully people while waving guns around as a lifestyle choice. They told you they were coming to D.C. to commit violence and insurrection. They spelled out their plans on their websites and have been carrying signs and wearing shirts all week that say "we're here to kill people." Guess what? Someone is now dead. They put the US Congress under siege. One of these assholes ended up sitting in the Vice President's chair.  And the President of the United States egged them on. "Don't be weak." "We'll never surrender." And after the riot was dispersed he said "You're all special." Half the Republicans in Congress committed themselves to disrupting today's count. You fuckers made your bed. Lie in it. That goes double for Pence and McConnell. This is the culmination of four years (eight for McConnell) of tap dancing around their oaths of office. You don't get to make impassioned speeches at the 11th hour and get forgiveness.

edit: considering the people who voted them into office, they could have all doubled-down like Paxton in Texas is doing and said "hell yeah, come back again tomorrow" and they'd be reelected.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6398 on: January 06, 2021, 06:18:11 PM »
In a couple of weeks this will all be over and any future protest or riot response will be the responsibility of Biden and Co.

Hopefully things will just be kum ba yah

I'm gonna go out on a limb here but I doubt Biden will actually encourage his followers to go "wild" in the Capital.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6399 on: January 06, 2021, 06:23:30 PM »
Jesus, what a day. Among other things, I had to talk my extremely traditionally conservative, law-and-order type father off a ledge today. He was so angry I thought he might have a stroke or something.  He voted for Trump, but now wants to see Trump hanged and the whole mob who stormed the capital forced to watch the hanging and then shot. I'm glad he wasn't 20 years younger or he might have armed himself and started driving to DC to go hunting some Proud Boys, thus exacerbating the problems.

I mean, this is what's scary...the Trump supporters' behaviors are SO CRAZY that they risk creating incredibly violent backlash emotions, even among some people who formerly supported the GOP and want traditional old-fashioned conservatism, let alone the left.  This kind of insanity has the potential to start a pendulum swing of ever increasing violence on both sides.

I really hope things calm down in the next few days, and esp. once Biden takes office. A close Senate means it's unlikely anything too far left will pass legislatively, which might help lower the temperature. And I'm sure covid vaccine rollout will improve under Biden, too, which might help.  We need everyone to just take a breather for a month before re-engaging with politics...but I fear that's too much to ask and there might be armed and angry people getting in their cars and driving hither and yon to 'do something' even as I type.

I really hope I'm wrong.