Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779144 times)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #4800 on: October 16, 2020, 06:06:48 AM »
Christie knee-capped Rubio in a debate, then--upon dropping out of the race--gave Trump legitimacy with his endorsement. It should have been obvious to him then what Trump was and what this Presidency would become.

Perhaps this health scare will chasten him?

I didn't watch the full story, but apparently Christie is saying he was wrong about ignoring mask advice.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4801 on: October 16, 2020, 06:32:05 AM »
Christie knee-capped Rubio in a debate, then--upon dropping out of the race--gave Trump legitimacy with his endorsement. It should have been obvious to him then what Trump was and what this Presidency would become.

Perhaps this health scare will chasten him?

I didn't watch the full story, but apparently Christie is saying he was wrong about ignoring mask advice.

Pretty much. I don’t have a Twitter account. Has Trump started tweeting about how Christie is a loser yet?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4802 on: October 16, 2020, 08:28:18 AM »
No, but on the subject of Tweets, the President apparently retweeted an article from Babylon Bee.

I'm not outraged by the President's retweet, as I think they (and The Onion) have been slaying lately. Honestly better coverage than the sincere news sources. I guess the outrage is that these satire sites are a better source of what's going on than anyone else.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4804 on: October 16, 2020, 11:23:01 AM »
Is there any reason (besides general asshattery) that Trump has blocked disaster relief funds for the huge CA wildfires?  I mean sure, he won’t get their EC votes, but they’re still Americans, right?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4805 on: October 16, 2020, 11:25:24 AM »
Is there any reason (besides general asshattery) that Trump has blocked disaster relief funds for the huge CA wildfires?  I mean sure, he won’t get their EC votes, but they’re still Americans, right?

He doesn't care about Americans, of course. Not even the red ones in a blue state.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4806 on: October 16, 2020, 11:25:49 AM »
He told them to rake the forests and to do forest management. They didn't listen to him.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4807 on: October 16, 2020, 11:26:30 AM »

Yes, but in Trump-land, they aren't Real Americans (TM).

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4808 on: October 16, 2020, 11:59:11 AM »

According to him, they're blue, they're terrorists, they're the enemy, they're poorly run, and various other epithets over the past couple years. Never mind that the majority of rural California voters to include the fire victims are Republicans.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4809 on: October 16, 2020, 12:07:56 PM »
And the hits just keep on coming:

NY Times: A Regulatory Rush by Federal Agencies to Secure Trump’s Legacy

In the bid to lock in new rules before Jan. 20, Mr. Trump’s team is limiting or sidestepping requirements for public comment on some of the changes and swatting aside critics who say the administration has failed to carry out sufficiently rigorous analysis.

Some cases, like a new rule to allow railroads to move highly flammable liquefied natural gas on freight trains, have led to warnings of public safety threats.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4810 on: October 16, 2020, 12:53:22 PM »
And the hits just keep on coming:

NY Times: A Regulatory Rush by Federal Agencies to Secure Trump’s Legacy

In the bid to lock in new rules before Jan. 20, Mr. Trump’s team is limiting or sidestepping requirements for public comment on some of the changes and swatting aside critics who say the administration has failed to carry out sufficiently rigorous analysis.

Some cases, like a new rule to allow railroads to move highly flammable liquefied natural gas on freight trains, have led to warnings of public safety threats.

Shades of the Lac Megantic train derailment.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4811 on: October 19, 2020, 07:17:51 AM »

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4812 on: October 19, 2020, 07:42:17 AM »
Republicans are already looking to 2024:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/10/18/2024-race-begins-republicans-nov-4/?itid=hp_opinions

That writer consistently lives in Lala Land. I don’t know why the Post keeps paying him.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4813 on: October 19, 2020, 07:43:11 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/10/18/2024-race-begins-republicans-nov-4/?itid=hp_opinions

That writer consistently lives in Lala Land. I don’t know why the Post keeps paying him.

Clickbait. It's why Fox continues to employ Tucker Carlson.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4814 on: October 19, 2020, 07:48:55 AM »
Bridge Magazine: 'Lock her up' chants erupt as Trump attacks Whitmer at Michigan rally

It really does feel like the president is deliberately instigating violence against my state's democratically elected governor.

President Trump renewed his attacks against Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in a raucous Muskegon rally on Saturday evening, blasting what he called “draconian” COVID-19 safety regulations as his supporters broke into chants of “lock her up.”

The refrain came less than two weeks after state and federal authorities foiled an alleged militia plot to kidnap the governor and put her on trial for “treason” before the Nov. 3 election.

Also, he's a clueless idiot about what is actually happening in the state because we aren't in lockdown now, and the decision to hold in-person school has always been up to local school boards. Everything is open, which is why our case numbers are going back up.

“You’ve got to get your governor to open up your state, okay?” Trump said minutes after stepping off Air Force One and onto a stage at the Muskegon County Airport surrounded by bleacher grand stands, American flags and thousands of supporters.

“And get your schools open,” Trump said as the crowd began to chant “lock her up,” a rallying cry Trump supporters first used against Hillary Clinton in 2016.

The chant broke out again when Trump suggested that if Biden were elected, he would impose a “draconian lockdown, like your governor is doing right now for everybody but her husband.”

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4815 on: October 19, 2020, 08:51:07 AM »

As soon as I see 'opinions' I skip right by.  I have enough opinions of my own, thanks :)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4816 on: October 19, 2020, 09:03:42 AM »

As soon as I see 'opinions' I skip right by.  I have enough opinions of my own, thanks :)
WaPo is for you then - opinion pieces are always clearly marked.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4817 on: October 19, 2020, 09:30:11 AM »

I like WaPo's opinions section, generally.  Most of their writers are thoughtul and well written, even when I don't agree with them.  I do NOT put Hugh Hewitt into that category, and I often wonder why WaPo continues to publish his articles.  I suspect it's to deflect criticism that the paper is "Anti-Trump" (two of their other conservative writers are also Never Trumpers).  Hewitt's pieces are often parroting of Trump's latest talking points and devoid of facts.  Recent examples include "Trump has made the country better off than four years ago", "The real extremests have "D"s after their names", and "Trump’s UAE-Israel diplomacy is his Nobel moment".  They are so over the top as to be completely laughable.

It's cheerleading without any substance.  His arguments frequently have such flimsy evidence behind them that they seem almost satirical.  In his recent piece arguing that Trump "is the greatest President in my lifetime" (Note: Hewitt is 64, so the list of presidents "in his lifetime" goes back to Eisenhower), the core of his argument was that the stock market price and the ephemeral argument that America is being "noticed" internationally (So is my toddler when she throws a tantrum in the middle of the street, FWIW).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 09:34:33 AM by nereo »

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4818 on: October 19, 2020, 09:42:16 AM »

I like WaPo's opinions section, generally.  Most of their writers are thoughtul and well written, even when I don't agree with them.  I do NOT put Hugh Hewitt into that category, and I often wonder why WaPo continues to publish his articles.  I suspect it's to deflect criticism that the paper is "Anti-Trump" (two of their other conservative writers are also Never Trumpers).  Hewitt's pieces are often parroting of Trump's latest talking points and devoid of facts.  Recent examples include "Trump has made the country better off than four years ago", "The real extremests have "D"s after their names", and "Trump’s UAE-Israel diplomacy is his Nobel moment".  They are so over the top as to be completely laughable.

It's cheerleading without any substance.  His arguments frequently have such flimsy evidence behind them that they seem almost satirical.  In his recent piece arguing that Trump "is the greatest President in my lifetime" (Note: Hewitt is 64, so the list of presidents "in his lifetime" goes back to Eisenhower), the core of his argument was that the stock market price and the ephemeral argument that America is being "noticed" internationally (So is my toddler when she throws a tantrum in the middle of the street, FWIW).

Are there any pro-Trumpers who write thoughtful and well-written pieces in any medium? I'm genuinely curious. I've certainly never seen any, it's all flimsy or completely substance-less cheer-leading and parroting of talking points.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4819 on: October 19, 2020, 09:49:58 AM »
I'm way too sleep deprived to go back and find the article, but I read an article this morning that said last night in Nevada Trump went on a rant about how if Biden is elected he will listen to the scientists. I don't even know how to process that - listening to the scientists is supposed to be a bad thing? If I remember correctly he said that if he had listened to the scientists our country would be in a depression, but instead our economy is sky rocketing.

Then the post directly below that one on facebook was from NPR and it said the US COVID cases on Friday were the highest since July and 14 states set new records last week (my state is one of them). Hospital admissions are also up.

So yes Mr Trump, you are correct that by ignoring the scientists our country is sky-rocketing, with COVID cases!!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4820 on: October 19, 2020, 09:54:56 AM »
the core of his argument was that the stock market price and the ephemeral argument that America is being "noticed" internationally (So is my toddler when she throws a tantrum in the middle of the street, FWIW).

LOL.  I suppose Trump thinks any publicity is good publicity?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4821 on: October 19, 2020, 09:56:57 AM »
I'm way too sleep deprived to go back and find the article, but I read an article this morning that said last night in Nevada Trump went on a rant about how if Biden is elected he will listen to the scientists. I don't even know how to process that - listening to the scientists is supposed to be a bad thing? If I remember correctly he said that if he had listened to the scientists our country would be in a depression, but instead our economy is sky rocketing.

Then the post directly below that one on facebook was from NPR and it said the US COVID cases on Friday were the highest since July and 14 states set new records last week (my state is one of them). Hospital admissions are also up.

So yes Mr Trump, you are correct that by ignoring the scientists our country is sky-rocketing, with COVID cases!!

It's this one from the Hill: https://thehill.com/homenews/521638-trump-biden-will-listen-to-the-scientists-if-elected

I read that and thought, "well, yeah, that's the POINT, Orange Foolius."

Also, he's really reaching.

"The Christmas season will be cancelled. Look, remember I said we’re going to bring back Christmas? The name. Remember? We brought it back. Remember?” he asked.

"They’d say, 'Have a great season.' I say, 'No, I don’t want to have a great season. I want to say 'merry Christmas.' Say 'merry Christmas.' Now, they’re all saying 'merry Christmas,' " he added.

I thought the Trumps (or at least Melania) didn't give a fuck about Christmas. He must have gotten some backlash about that one.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 10:00:45 AM by OtherJen »

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #4822 on: October 19, 2020, 10:46:26 AM »
the core of his argument was that the stock market price and the ephemeral argument that America is being "noticed" internationally (So is my toddler when she throws a tantrum in the middle of the street, FWIW).

LOL.  I suppose Trump thinks any publicity is good publicity?

Also, at least during my lifetime there was never a moment that the US wasn't "noticed" internationally. That tends to happen to superpowers.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4823 on: October 19, 2020, 12:24:15 PM »
At the risk of veering off-topic, here's a clip of an on-air interview of a kiwi politician who lost in the last NZ election, and was called out by the interviewer for dodging questions and spreading misinformation.  https://mashable.com/article/new-zealand-tv-interview-tova-o-brien-jami-lee-ross/ 

Nicely done.  We could use some of that on this continent.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4824 on: October 19, 2020, 05:12:59 PM »
I'm not sure what to think about these 'peaceful protest' rallies Trump is holding.  First and foremost, they are all super-spreader events.  Secondly, they are re-runs - if you've seen one online, you've seen them all.  So is attending in person just the fun of chanting in a crowd (while spreading germs in the midst of a pandemic) that makes these things appealing?  It would be fascinating to see the attendees charged what it cost to fly Trump to their town, the security detail, and all the incidentals involved.  To them, it is 'free' to have this guy show up and rant for a while, but it is not free to America.  It costs money that these attendees would probably to prefer to spend on something else.  But who knows.

And the whopper in every rally - "I had a great life.  I didn't have to do this."  So, obviously, a one-term presidency should be a win!

Also, when he natters on about all the Walter Reed and Johns Hopkins doctors gathered around his bedside, and the limitless access to antibody therapeutics...  I wonder what these potentially infected rally attendees are thinking?   

So much material to be confused by.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4825 on: October 19, 2020, 05:18:36 PM »
I'm not sure what to think about these 'peaceful protest' rallies Trump is holding.  First and foremost, they are all super-spreader events.  Secondly, they are re-runs - if you've seen one online, you've seen them all.  So is attending in person just the fun of chanting in a crowd (while spreading germs in the midst of a pandemic) that makes these things appealing?  It would be fascinating to see the attendees charged what it cost to fly Trump to their town, the security detail, and all the incidentals involved.  To them, it is 'free' to have this guy show up and rant for a while, but it is not free to America.  It costs money that these attendees would probably to prefer to spend on something else.  But who knows.

And the whopper in every rally - "I had a great life.  I didn't have to do this."  So, obviously, a one-term presidency should be a win!

Also, when he natters on about all the Walter Reed and Johns Hopkins doctors gathered around his bedside, and the limitless access to antibody therapeutics...  I wonder what these potentially infected rally attendees are thinking?   

They’re not peaceful. He’s got people shouting “lock her up” about my state’s governor, and has pretty much blamed her for the recent attempt on her life.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4826 on: October 19, 2020, 05:42:22 PM »

They’re not peaceful. He’s got people shouting “lock her up” about my state’s governor, and has pretty much blamed her for the recent attempt on her life.

Makes you wonder if the team that was planning the hit was at a previous rally chanting "lock her up."

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4827 on: October 19, 2020, 05:50:31 PM »

Are there any pro-Trumpers who write thoughtful and well-written pieces in any medium? I'm genuinely curious. I've certainly never seen any, it's all flimsy or completely substance-less cheer-leading and parroting of talking points.

Well they're having a tough time coming up with bad things to say about Biden and good things to say about Trump. The most damaging thing I've seen recently is a gaffe he made 30 years ago.  The Party's meme of the week seems to be taking cheap shots at Biden's son for having a drug problem.  Trump's tactic this week is to double down on campaigning against Clinton and Obama. Trump Jr tried poo-pooing Biden's residence as being too opulent for an honest politician. Twitter roasted him pointing out he bought the house 40 years ago for cheap, fixed it up, and sold it several years ago for 10 times what he paid. Apparently he was a very good flipper in his youth.  The Twitter rebuttals also called out the Trump family for their lavish homes, questionable business success, and pointing out that "aren't the Trumps supposed to be real estate experts?"

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4828 on: October 19, 2020, 06:01:13 PM »

Makes you wonder if the team that was planning the hit was at a previous rally chanting "lock her up."

Well, this mess was a de facto Trump rally: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/10/08/whitmer-kidnap-plot-capitol-gun-rally/5931604002/

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4829 on: October 19, 2020, 06:20:55 PM »
I'm not sure how much it will matter, but this Thursday's debate should be interesting.  Trump is busy not preparing for it and heaping own-voter loyalty upon himself while Biden is doing the sensible thing that most voters would expect...  I am so frustrated at this point by Trump, I'm just not trying to lose my mind that this is our current President - quite possibly the most powerful, influential human on the planet.  Talking about how many times he has to flush the toilet.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4830 on: October 19, 2020, 06:49:31 PM »
I'm not sure how much it will matter, but this Thursday's debate should be interesting.  Trump is busy not preparing for it and heaping own-voter loyalty upon himself while Biden is doing the sensible thing that most voters would expect...  I am so frustrated at this point by Trump, I'm just not trying to lose my mind that this is our current President - quite possibly the most powerful, influential human on the planet.  Talking about how many times he has to flush the toilet.

It will certainly be interesting, if it happens: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mics-to-be-cut-off-at-thursdays-presidential-debate-to-allow-2-minute-answers-01603151807

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4831 on: October 19, 2020, 09:22:24 PM »

It will certainly be interesting, if it happens: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mics-to-be-cut-off-at-thursdays-presidential-debate-to-allow-2-minute-answers-01603151807

That is very interesting, and plays into my ongoing bet with nereo. :)

I guess I sort of won round one, where Trump did not reverse course and participate in the second debate. Let's see if he actually participates in the third debate. His campaign says that he's going to, although this is sort of a mix of muted and not-muted. The rules apparently are that the mics are muted during the 2-minute individual-response portion, and then the remaining 11 minutes or so of the section is a "free conversation" with no muting. I'm not sure how that format would be scored according to our bet, maybe Trump decides that's enough opportunity to interrupt that it's close enough. :)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4832 on: October 19, 2020, 11:58:55 PM »

I guess I sort of won round one, where Trump did not reverse course and participate in the second debate. Let's see if he actually participates in the third debate. His campaign says that he's going to, although this is sort of a mix of muted and not-muted. The rules apparently are that the mics are muted during the 2-minute individual-response portion, and then the remaining 11 minutes or so of the section is a "free conversation" with no muting. I'm not sure how that format would be scored according to our bet, maybe Trump decides that's enough opportunity to interrupt that it's close enough. :)

He's also rage-quit press conferences when the discussion wasn't going his way. Do you think he'd walk off the debate stage at any point?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4833 on: October 20, 2020, 04:26:32 AM »
He's also rage-quit press conferences when the discussion wasn't going his way. Do you think he'd walk off the debate stage at any point?
No. That would be running away from his fans.
Running away from journalists is just "not letting them telling lies about me".
Both are really different. In the ahem... discussion he can show fighting spirit (the only thing he has), and throw mud (the only thing he is good at).

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4834 on: October 20, 2020, 05:44:29 AM »
Trump is his own worst enemy. He is now bashing Fauci and should realize that Fauci is loved in this country and should jump on that love train. When covid broke out, he should have faked it that he cared and put together a task force to pretend Trump was doing all he could to wipe it out. Instead he and his henchmen had to gripe that they had to send 'their' supplies to the states. He spends tons of money on his golf cart rentals but doesn't want to spend any money on us losers to fight the virus. He wants to pretend it doesn't exist, it is almost gone! He is trying to drill this stuff into people's heads and some people are easily fooled. If Trump said it, it has to be true! OMG! Trump has forgotten that he works for us, we employ him and we can FIRE him! 

Hahaha, I wonder if Trump gets the boot on November 3rd and after the inauguration, if he applies for unemployment? He will be sure to bump up the $600 per weekly benefits before he goes!

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4835 on: October 20, 2020, 06:17:45 AM »
No.  He gets a pension of $219,200 per year for life.  Isn't that great for 4 years of work?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4836 on: October 20, 2020, 06:25:01 AM »
No.  He gets a pension of $219,200 per year for life.  Isn't that great for 4 years of work?
many of us could live on that... For 45, that's maybe a month at most (i'm being generous). He (and his family) have a spending problem. Keeping up appearances costs a lot of money.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4837 on: October 20, 2020, 06:40:40 AM »
When he leaves the White House he will probably ransack it and sell all the memorabilia. Tear out the chandeliers, copper pipes, trees...

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4838 on: October 20, 2020, 06:51:43 AM »
many of us could live on that... For 45, that's maybe a month at most (i'm being generous). He (and his family) have a spending problem. Keeping up appearances costs a lot of money.

Agreed that--were he not President--there wouldn't be much to love about the "Trump" brand when measured by Mustachian values.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4839 on: October 20, 2020, 07:08:03 AM »

Well, now he's attacking the scheduled moderator. I think he's building himself an out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/2020/10/20/trump-biden-live-updates/#link-5OEQZV7ZIRG5ZLVZVIONP5OL6A

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4840 on: October 20, 2020, 08:06:29 AM »
When he leaves the White House he will probably ransack it and sell all the memorabilia. Tear out the chandeliers, copper pipes, trees...

...bust out all the windows...

I seriously hope there is someone that inventories and inspects the WH after a handover to make sure everything is there and in good condition. With Trump anything is possible.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:08:00 AM by Just Joe »

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #4841 on: October 20, 2020, 08:12:46 AM »

However, like Jimmy Carter, if he loses, he won't be eligible for Health Benefits because he won't meet the 5 year minimum.

However, unlike Jimmy Carter, I don't think Trump will be donating the rest of his time and money to charity work. (Nor do I think Trump is making it to 96 years old)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4842 on: October 20, 2020, 08:18:54 AM »
For all the crap Carter had to put up from the Republicans - the Carters have been really good people all these years. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4843 on: October 20, 2020, 09:48:38 AM »

However, like Jimmy Carter, if he loses, he won't be eligible for Health Benefits because he won't meet the 5 year minimum.

However, unlike Jimmy Carter, I don't think Trump will be donating the rest of his time and money to charity work. (Nor do I think Trump is making it to 96 years old)

Is that true on the 5 year minimum for health insurance? Never heard of that!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4844 on: October 20, 2020, 09:51:30 AM »
Wikipedia seems to agree that only 2 term former presidents are allowed to buy health insurance. All are eligible to receive care at Military hospitals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Former_Presidents_Act

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4845 on: October 20, 2020, 10:15:53 AM »
A minor thing perhaps with how low Trump has brought our expectations of the presidency, but yesterday he was bragging to his supporters about how he could illegally bribe energy executives into donating to his campaign "if he wanted to".

All I have to do is call up the head of every Wall Street firm, head of every major company, the head of every major energy company, ‘Do me a favor, send me $10 million for my campaign.’ ‘Yes, sir.’ They say the only thing is, ‘Why didn't you ask for more, sir?’

Don't forget, I'm not bad at that stuff anyway, and I'm president. So I call some guy, the head of Exxon. I call the head of Exxon. I don't know. 'How are you doing? How’s energy coming? When are you doing the exploration? Oh, you need a couple of permits?' When I call the head of Exxon I say, ‘You know, I'd love [for you] to send me $25 million for the campaign.’ ‘Absolutely sir.’ I will hit a home run every single call. I would raise a billion dollars in one day if I wanted to. I don't want to do that.

Leaving aside just how utterly pathetic Trump's head conversations are, let's not forget that this is literally what he was impeached for doing to the Ukraine. But the Senate Republicans decided to acquit him without hearing evidence. And how he's bragging about how he could do it again if he wanted to, to the adoring cheers of his fans of course.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:41:45 AM by sherr »

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4846 on: October 20, 2020, 10:26:38 AM »
A minor thing perhaps with how low Trump has brought our expectations of the presidency, but yesterday he was bragging to his supporters about how he could illegally bribe energy executives into donating to his campaign "if he wanted to".

All I have to do is call up the head of every Wall Street firm, head of every major company, the head of every major energy company, ‘Do me a favor, send me $10 million for my campaign.’ ‘Yes, sir.’ They say the only thing is, ‘Why didn't you ask for more, sir?’

Don't forget, I'm not bad at that stuff anyway, and I'm president. So I call some guy, the head of Exxon. I call the head of Exxon. I don't know. 'How are you doing? How’s energy coming? When are you doing the exploration? Oh, you need a couple of permits?' When I call the head of Exxon I say, ‘You know, I'd love [for you] to send me $25 million for the campaign.’ ‘Absolutely sir.’ I will hit a home run every single call. I would raise a billion dollars in one day if I wanted to. I don't want to do that.

Let's not forget that this is literally what he was impeached for doing to the Ukraine. But the Senate Republicans decided to acquit him without hearing evidence. And how he's bragging about how he could do it again if he wanted to, to the adoring cheers of his fans of course.

Maybe we'll get lucky & Covid-19 will get him again.  He's still trying for it.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4847 on: October 20, 2020, 10:29:01 AM »

He is going to treat the white house bathrooms just like he treated our country, and leave an upper decker for Biden.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4848 on: October 20, 2020, 10:55:57 AM »

Leaving aside just how utterly pathetic Trump's head conversations are, let's not forget that this is literally what he was impeached for doing to the Ukraine. But the Senate Republicans decided to acquit him without hearing evidence. And how he's bragging about how he could do it again if he wanted to, to the adoring cheers of his fans of course.

Yep. If you want to know what he's either actually doing or wants to do, listen to what he accuses others of doing. He always, always projects his less savory thoughts and actions.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4849 on: October 20, 2020, 12:32:03 PM »

I wonder if the CEOs of Exxons etc. are now required by law to an official announcement that they did (not) do this. There is a lot of stuff listed companies have to do. (btw. I love the word "profit warning".)