Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779351 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #4700 on: October 07, 2020, 05:39:59 PM »
Right eye looks droopy.  Hypoxia?

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4701 on: October 07, 2020, 06:44:28 PM »
Just need him to survive until Nov 5th so it doesn't give the Republicans a way to pretend the election is invalid or some other power ploy.

If it slows down or halts the confirmation of that judge then that would be a silver lining.

Of course it would be better if he lives to stand trial.  If he dies then the temptation to 'move forward not back' will be overstrong and too many blatant crimes will go unanswered.

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #4702 on: October 08, 2020, 12:19:06 AM »
I was just reading John Scalzi's blog (https://whatever.scalzi.com/) and would recommend his October 6 post. 

Thank you for the link, Retired.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4703 on: October 08, 2020, 04:06:28 AM »
Based on the case in Florida, where so many tried to register to vote that the system crashed, I'm starting to wonder how the turnout will be, and whether the current polls are using correct algorithms. If they are based on very low voter turnout in the younger generation, and high turnout in the older generation, and the reality now will be opposite; could we get equal margin of error as in the last election (but perhaps in the other direction)?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4704 on: October 08, 2020, 06:20:01 AM »
Back in 1907, 113 years ago, they were smart enough to forcefully quarantine Typhoid Mary. They understood she was a carrier of Typhoid. For her it was two different times she was quarantined and the last was for 23 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Mallon

Trump only needs to be quarantined for a short period of time and he refuses. He is risking people's lives just as bad as if he had a weapon. Why isn't the law stepping in? They did in Typhoid Mary's case.

A person knowingly infecting others with HIV can lead to criminal prosecution.

Is Donald Trump above the law? This is very disturbing.

As long as his party's Senators refuse to hold him accountable, and as long as the Attorney General systematically kneecaps any attempt of the CJ system to prosecute him, yes.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4705 on: October 08, 2020, 06:50:07 AM »
The format of the 2nd debate was announced (a "virtual" town hall with both candidates in seperate, remote locations).
Trump says he won't participate.

(of course Trump likes to make a big deal out of refusing offers, often to change his mind a short while later).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4706 on: October 08, 2020, 07:02:15 AM »
The format of the 2nd debate was announced (a "virtual" town hall with both candidates in seperate, remote locations).

(of course Trump likes to make a big deal out of refusing offers, often to change his mind a short while later).

Pretty much. He'll flip-flop a few more times and ultimately claim that this was his idea.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4707 on: October 08, 2020, 07:11:21 AM »

Pretty much. He'll flip-flop a few more times and ultimately claim that this was his idea.

I'm not sure what leverage he has left at this point.  He'd still be under the CDC's self-quarantine guidelines (not that he's following them to begin with).  More importantly he needs to turn the race around and land some big blows on Biden or force Biden to fumble... something he's been unable to do as of yet. If he doesn't participate the widely panned first debate will be what everyone remembers, which certainly hasn't helped (Biden had an uptick both in fundraising and in the polls since).

Frankly, I'm impressed at how disciplined a campaign Biden has run thus far.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4708 on: October 08, 2020, 07:38:24 AM »

I'm not sure what leverage he has left at this point.  He'd still be under the CDC's self-quarantine guidelines (not that he's following them to begin with).  More importantly he needs to turn the race around and land some big blows on Biden or force Biden to fumble... something he's been unable to do as of yet. If he doesn't participate the widely panned first debate will be what everyone remembers, which certainly hasn't helped (Biden had an uptick both in fundraising and in the polls since).

It's Trump. He doesn't need leverage. He'll make up bullshit and his supporters will parrot it, just as they always do.

But yes, he's not as successful at dragging Biden as I had expected. I'm sure his meds aren't helping, if his recent steroid-fueled rants on Twitter are any indication.

There are still almost 4 weeks to go. I'm not ready to be optimistic yet.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4709 on: October 08, 2020, 07:39:41 AM »

Once again, Biden looks like the winner on this one.  I wouldn't want to be in a room with Trump either, so the reasoning looks sound.  Trump needs this debate more than Biden, so there's also that.  Basically, Trump can throw a temper tantrum and stomp his feet, but skipping this debate would hurt him and help Biden.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4710 on: October 08, 2020, 07:48:20 AM »
Perhaps give Biden the full hour to answer the moderator's questions without interruption? ;)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4711 on: October 08, 2020, 07:59:21 AM »
Head Of White House Security Office “Gravely Ill” With Coronavirus

Since late September. I wonder if Trump will call him a loser. I bet he isn't getting fancy treatment cocktails.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4712 on: October 08, 2020, 08:04:45 AM »
I find it unlikely Trump would miss a chance to be seen and heard on TV. He loves to yap and blather his BS. Take for instance he made a spectacle of himself when he arrived back to the White House after leaving the hospital. The dramatic moment on the balcony stripping off his mask and saluting the helicopter as it flew off. OMG! Soap opera city at its best.

Talk about cheap, cheesy Trump antics!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4713 on: October 08, 2020, 08:20:53 AM »
On Fox News Trump says that the scheduled debate would be "a waste of time"

Wow! I'm in full agreement with him for once.  Anytime Trump "debates" it seems to be a giant waste of everyone's time.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4714 on: October 08, 2020, 08:43:14 AM »
He's displayed just that at the debate. Could he go 30 seconds without interrupting anyone? Next time I hope they mute the microphone when the other candidate is speaking! It seems that Trump's tactic was to constantly interrupt and break the rules of the debate, only to claim bias when he's called out.

Both parties have to agree to the rules of the debate beforehand or there wouldn't be a debate, and I bet you ever dollar I have that the Trump campaign would never agree to a debate where the moderator could mute the mic of the person who's not supposed to talk. This is how it is because this is how Trump wants it.

I disagree.  Trump has proven to be too much of a narcissit to refuse a nationally televised chance to attack his opponent, and the polls show that he desperately needs to move the needle,  and quickly. Trump's base has been clamoring for more debates on the hope that Biden would have some sort of senior moment that could "prove" their theory that he's senile.

So far it looks like I'm winning our bet. ;)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4715 on: October 08, 2020, 08:51:32 AM »
He's displayed just that at the debate. Could he go 30 seconds without interrupting anyone? Next time I hope they mute the microphone when the other candidate is speaking! It seems that Trump's tactic was to constantly interrupt and break the rules of the debate, only to claim bias when he's called out.

Both parties have to agree to the rules of the debate beforehand or there wouldn't be a debate, and I bet you ever dollar I have that the Trump campaign would never agree to a debate where the moderator could mute the mic of the person who's not supposed to talk. This is how it is because this is how Trump wants it.

I disagree.  Trump has proven to be too much of a narcissit to refuse a nationally televised chance to attack his opponent, and the polls show that he desperately needs to move the needle,  and quickly. Trump's base has been clamoring for more debates on the hope that Biden would have some sort of senior moment that could "prove" their theory that he's senile.

So far it looks like I'm winning our bet. ;)

I don't think it counts until the debate actually happens.  Trump's changed his mind multiple times about stimulus just in the last 24 hours.  I'll bet you that Trump reverses and ultimately participates in this second debate.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4716 on: October 08, 2020, 09:23:28 AM »
I find it unlikely Trump would miss a chance to be seen and heard on TV. He loves to yap and blather his BS. Take for instance he made a spectacle of himself when he arrived back to the White House after leaving the hospital. The dramatic moment on the balcony stripping off his mask and saluting the helicopter as it flew off. OMG! Soap opera city at its best.

A virtual or town hall-style debate would not allow him to go rant-crazy and would therefore not work for him.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4717 on: October 08, 2020, 09:25:39 AM »

It's Trump. He doesn't need leverage. He'll make up bullshit and his supporters will parrot it, just as they always do.

But yes, he's not as successful at dragging Biden as I had expected. I'm sure his meds aren't helping, if his recent steroid-fueled rants on Twitter are any indication.

There are still almost 4 weeks to go. I'm not ready to be optimistic yet.

I'm waiting for someone to convince me the polling stations and ballots won't be sabotaged.  So many states and counties that poll as Biden landslides seems to be going out of their way to make Democrat votes impossible to count.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4718 on: October 08, 2020, 09:27:34 AM »
A virtual or town hall-style debate would not allow him to go rant-crazy and would therefore not work for him.

Yes? So? ;)

Can't stand listening to Pence or Trump dance around the truth.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4719 on: October 08, 2020, 09:28:24 AM »

Yeah, the online platforms would allow the moderator or producer to mute him or just boot him off the call if he refused to behave. I don't see him agreeing to that.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4720 on: October 08, 2020, 09:48:41 AM »
I'm waiting for someone to convince me the polling stations and ballots won't be sabotaged.  So many states and counties that poll as Biden landslides seems to be going out of their way to make Democrat votes impossible to count.

Republican voter suppression is very real. It is definitely already happening in NC again this year, and see also Texas limiting drop-off locations to one per county.

However voter suppression and similar shady tactics only work at the margins, they may shift the vote a percent or three. If it's actually going to be a landslide then the result will not change. The absolute best defense against election stealing is to ensure that it's actually a landslide.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4721 on: October 08, 2020, 12:28:55 PM »

Republican voter suppression is very real. It is definitely already happening in NC again this year, and see also Texas limiting drop-off locations to one per county.

However voter suppression and similar shady tactics only work at the margins, they may shift the vote a percent or three. If it's actually going to be a landslide then the result will not change. The absolute best defense against election stealing is to ensure that it's actually a landslide.
The problem is that method of voting (where you have a choice) can skew by party line.

I saw it this June in the special election to replace my Rep.  Early voting is fairly new here (just introduced last November), and absentee voting was allowed due to Covid.  In person voting was heavily R.  Early voting was 50:50 (but light).  Absentee ballot voting was 2/3 D, 1/3 R, but took a month to certify and count.  So the reported vote distribution shifted from easy R (night of) (R candidate claimed victory) to close call barely R squeeker win a month later.

If the presidential election follows this pattern, Trump could claim victory on in person/early vote numbers.  When total counts come later (if they aren't invalidated somehow) he could complain of tampering when the proportions shift.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4722 on: October 08, 2020, 12:32:52 PM »
Something else that will absolutely play in to the results is that Democrats tend to absentee vote in greater numbers than Republicans. Guess which vote method has the highest rate of rejection based on things like signature mismatch, envelope problems, etc.? You guessed it...absentee votes. With the pandemic likely increasing the number of mail-in and/or absentee votes being cast, a large number of them will never be counted

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4723 on: October 08, 2020, 12:37:59 PM »

The problem is that method of voting (where you have a choice) can skew by party line.

I saw it this June in the special election to replace my Rep.  Early voting is fairly new here (just introduced last November), and absentee voting was allowed due to Covid.  In person voting was heavily R.  Early voting was 50:50 (but light).  Absentee ballot voting was 2/3 D, 1/3 R, but took a month to certify and count.  So the reported vote distribution shifted from easy R (night of) (R candidate claimed victory) to close call barely R squeeker win a month later.

If the presidential election follows this pattern, Trump could claim victory on in person/early vote numbers.  When total counts come later (if they aren't invalidated somehow) he could complain of tampering when the proportions shift.

Yes, and that trend has only increased, now it's like 3/4 D 1/4 R for mail-in voting according to polls. But that doesn't really matter, because in spite of how much Trump will inevitably whine I don't think he'll actually be able to stop the counting of mail-in votes. If he does and he wins then it's literally leave the country or start a revolution time, because that would be an outright invalid election.

What will happen is that the Republicans will attempt to throw away any mail-in ballot they can concoct an excuse to throw away. Currently in NC they're rejecting ballots from black areas at a rate of 4%, and white areas at a rate of 1%.

But again, that only matters on the margins. They may actually be able to keep NC from going to Biden because the vote is so close here, but if it was going to be a landslide then the result would not change. So let's hope for and work towards making it a landslide so they can't steal it.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4724 on: October 08, 2020, 12:58:31 PM »
My greatest concern right now is what Trump might do in the next 2-3 weeks.

Both sides would agree that Trump loves to attack, and isn't constrained by typical political decorum. He's trailing considerably in the polls and so far none of his sustained attacks on Biden have moved the needle (in fact, this race so far has been remarkable in how steady poll numbers have been for both candidates). No many how hard he tries, he can't get the subject to move past Covid (a bit ironic now that he's contracted it himself)

The analogy I keep coming to is a deadly but wounded animal backed into a corner. He won't care who or what he destroys in the process.  I fully expect him to launch into some wildly-aggressive, scorched-earth move any day now.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4725 on: October 08, 2020, 01:11:28 PM »
I'm still hoping he'll take a turn for the worse and go back in the hospital for a bit so he doesn't have the time or energy for shenanigans.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4726 on: October 08, 2020, 02:14:32 PM »
I wish he would try things that would reduce the number of COVID cases that there are by more than the one that is his.

It'd be amazing how much economic growth there'd be if you just figure out this COVID problem.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4727 on: October 08, 2020, 03:09:52 PM »
If his COVID medication is so great I'd like someone to publicly question him why he hasn't started a massive effort to brew up enough for everyone.

Don't bother, we know the real answers...

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4728 on: October 08, 2020, 03:26:21 PM »
Why didn't he take his magic drug Hydroxychloroquine? He said it was the 'IT' drug and what do you have to lose!

Also, can anyone imagine what Trump will do during the transition period if he loses? That could be mind boggling! Scary!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4729 on: October 08, 2020, 03:28:25 PM »
This is the kind of thing that Trump's team ignores:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/12/12/climate/texas-methane-super-emitters.html

Unregulated petrochemical companies among thousands of other types of businesses have the potential to get really sloppy. If everyone is sloppy, then we are doomed.

Personally I'd rather the world is left in better condition than my generation received it but I suppose various billionaires just don't care.

They can always shield themselves from any environmental hardships that their sloppiness created. 

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4730 on: October 09, 2020, 09:40:37 AM »
As a result of the Trump world we live in, this chilling picture of how overblown the threat of 'rioting and looting' has become -

Six sniper teams, hundreds of cops: Documents show major police presence at George Floyd's burial

Critics said that while demonstrators across the U.S. were protesting police violence, the documents show an outsize police response to a funeral.

“This happened at a point when this community, Houston, and George Floyd’s family were mourning brutal loss of life at hand of police officers,” said Shaw Drake, policy counsel of ACLU of Texas Border Rights Center, “and the police response was to put snipers on roofs.”

Ultimately, the event had 20 people treated for heat stroke and one altercation that was peacefully resolved between the parties.  Good thing there were 475 additional officers brought in and 800 national guard...

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4731 on: October 09, 2020, 09:42:49 AM »
Also, can anyone imagine what Trump will do during the transition period if he loses? That could be mind boggling! Scary!

Probably working on his book deal...

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4732 on: October 09, 2020, 09:44:02 AM »

Probably working on his book deal...

Anything and everything he can to come up with $400 million to pay his debts once his immunity-by-presidency expires, lol.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4733 on: October 09, 2020, 09:47:04 AM »
Some good snark comedy from Project Lincoln, but also pretty on-point.
https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1314297485318217728?s=20

REGENERON!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4734 on: October 09, 2020, 10:10:09 AM »
Some good snark comedy from Project Lincoln, but also pretty on-point.
https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1314297485318217728?s=20

REGENERON!

Lol

Reminds me of Idiocracy.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4735 on: October 09, 2020, 10:35:41 AM »
As a result of the Trump world we live in, this chilling picture of how overblown the threat of 'rioting and looting' has become -

Six sniper teams, hundreds of cops: Documents show major police presence at George Floyd's burial

Critics said that while demonstrators across the U.S. were protesting police violence, the documents show an outsize police response to a funeral.

“This happened at a point when this community, Houston, and George Floyd’s family were mourning brutal loss of life at hand of police officers,” said Shaw Drake, policy counsel of ACLU of Texas Border Rights Center, “and the police response was to put snipers on roofs.”

Ultimately, the event had 20 people treated for heat stroke and one altercation that was peacefully resolved between the parties.  Good thing there were 475 additional officers brought in and 800 national guard...

Unfortunately the "Law-and-Order" crowd will crow that only this overwhelming show of law enforcement stopped it from becoming total mayhem.  REfuting that is trying to prove a negative

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4736 on: October 09, 2020, 11:02:25 AM »
Anyone following the NYT series on Trump’s finances? This all sounds shady as hell. Also clear that he has not been rich in quite a while.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/10/09/us/donald-trump-taxes-las-vegas.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4737 on: October 09, 2020, 11:03:40 AM »
Fearless Leader called into Fox and he sounded congested and was coughing.  On that video yesterday it was in front of a green screen, the tree movements were repeat looping every three seconds.  The steroids must be wearing off, he isn't out of the woods yet.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4738 on: October 09, 2020, 11:16:22 AM »
Fearless Leader called into Fox and he sounded congested and was coughing.  On that video yesterday it was in front of a green screen, the tree movements were repeat looping every three seconds.  The steroids must be wearing off, he isn't out of the woods yet.

Chances are he won't make the Florida event tomorrow. No way he shows up coughing and looking weak in front of a crowd.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4739 on: October 09, 2020, 11:30:47 AM »
Anyone following the NYT series on Trump’s finances? This all sounds shady as hell. Also clear that he has not been rich in quite a while.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/10/09/us/donald-trump-taxes-las-vegas.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

If it weren't for Covid, the SCOTUS vacancy, the attempted kidnapping of Gov. Whitmer, another hurricane striking Louisianna and the unprecedented scope of this year's wildfires - I think these latest developments about Trump's finances would be getting a ton more airtime.

In the last few weeks we've learned Trump
  • Got a $21MM tax break based on a highly questionable assessment of his VA property by a private company with close ties to the Trump Organization
  • Paid just $750 in taxes in '16 and '17
  • Paid zero taxes in 10 of the last 15 years
  • Has almost $300MM in unsecured loans coming due in the next few years
  • Is under investigation for a $72.9MM tax refund
  • His marque properties in Doral,FL, Turnberry, SCotland and Washington DC are all running deeply in the red, each to the tune of tens of million$

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4740 on: October 09, 2020, 11:36:45 AM »

If it weren't for Covid, the SCOTUS vacancy, the attempted kidnapping of Gov. Whitmer, another hurricane striking Louisianna and the unprecedented scope of this year's wildfires - I think these latest developments about Trump's finances would be getting a ton more airtime.

In the last few weeks we've learned Trump...

It's almost like he's intentionally creating these other news stories to distract the media from this one thing.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4741 on: October 09, 2020, 11:54:03 AM »

Unfortunately the "Law-and-Order" crowd will crow that only this overwhelming show of law enforcement stopped it from becoming total mayhem.  REfuting that is trying to prove a negative

If it weren't for all those dangerous cops, George Floyd would have come back to life again and jumped out of his coffin. Don't believe it? Prove the opposite!

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4742 on: October 09, 2020, 12:01:43 PM »

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4743 on: October 09, 2020, 02:08:29 PM »
I don't think there's a way he doesn't avoid prison short of dying or fleeing to a country with no extradition laws. There is just so much there, so many crimes committed, that they're going to catch up to him. Biden has already said that he won't pardon Trump...which explains even more why he's trying everything and anything to cheat to win so that he can retain his immunity for 4 more years

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4744 on: October 09, 2020, 02:38:05 PM »
I don't think there's a way he doesn't avoid prison short of dying or fleeing to a country with no extradition laws. There is just so much there, so many crimes committed, that they're going to catch up to him. Biden has already said that he won't pardon Trump...which explains even more why he's trying everything and anything to cheat to win so that he can retain his immunity for 4 more years
Are you saying this is a surprise to you?  That has been the angle, pretty well understood, for years.   It is just because Fox crowd paints it as conspiracy that some people felt it was made up, but a con man is always playing the long game. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4745 on: October 09, 2020, 05:39:42 PM »

In the last few weeks we've learned Trump
  • Got a $21MM tax break based on a highly questionable assessment of his VA property by a private company with close ties to the Trump Organization
  • Paid just $750 in taxes in '16 and '17
  • Paid zero taxes in 10 of the last 15 years
  • Has almost $300MM in unsecured loans coming due in the next few years
  • Is under investigation for a $72.9MM tax refund
  • His marque properties in Doral,FL, Turnberry, SCotland and Washington DC are all running deeply in the red, each to the tune of tens of million$

Struggling despite his insistence that the USSS and the campaign stay there as often as possible. There are countless examples of the past three years of Trump using the taxpayer and his reelection campaign to subsidize his businesses.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4747 on: October 11, 2020, 11:34:40 AM »
That's all this weekend?

Looks like he is still sick then.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4748 on: October 11, 2020, 12:06:53 PM »
Sadly his twitter finger is still working.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4749 on: October 12, 2020, 06:52:47 AM »
Are you saying this is a surprise to you?  That has been the angle, pretty well understood, for years.   It is just because Fox crowd paints it as conspiracy that some people felt it was made up, but a con man is always playing the long game.

Not at all a surprise. Pretty much everything he's done for his entire presidency is to set himself up to be re-elected for one (or more) terms to avoid prosecution and to continue to enrich himself and his family. Disgusting and illegal...but not surprising