Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779381 times)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #3950 on: September 04, 2020, 12:34:20 PM »
"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." -- Maya Angelou

If people don't already recognize Trump for what he is, then I doubt much will change their minds in the next 8 weeks.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3951 on: September 04, 2020, 01:44:52 PM »
It's incredibly sad to watch our democracy be stolen and stomped to death in real time...with 40%+ of the population cheering it on
Unfortunately, in a democracy the people get the government they deserve.

Yeaaa, but that’s not what we’ve got in the US. Every facet of our system benefits one party:
- In Presidential elections, Democrats must get ~3-4% more votes to win, thanks to the electoral college
- It is virtually impossible for Democrats to get a 60 seat majority (necessary to do anything meaningful to actually improve this system) in the senate. Half of the Senate represents just ~20% of the US population.
- The house has far too few representatives to proportionately represent US districts. Small states, again, have more representation than states with large populations.
- The courts... presidents appoint judges, and every Republican President in 30 years has lost the popular vote. Yet 5 of the 9 justices on the Supreme Court were appointed by Republicans. Which says nothing of lower courts.

We have a huge mess. I don’t know how this gets resolved. Republicans will not give any inch to fix any of this while it benefits them.

It's true that the US system is unfairly and severely slanted towards the Republican party (and is an issue).  But 40% of your country not only approves of Donald Trump . . . but thinks he's doing a fantastic job.

Let's say you're one of five lost at sea in an inflatable life raft.  When one guy keeps stabbing holes in the bottom and another guy keeps giggling and telling him to stab faster, eventually everyone's going to end up paying for it.  Even if the majority just wants to ignore them and try to survive.

Here's the Atlantic story on Trump calling America's war dead "losers" and "suckers" -

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-americans-who-died-at-war-are-losers-and-suckers/615997/

A great uncle of mine was conscripted into the British Army in WW1 and was killed in action not that far away from Belleau Wood.  When you see pictures of those rows of white gravestones in military cemetaries one of those gravestones could be his.

Let's be fair to Trump.  You have to look at it from his point of view.

Veterans are all losers who weren't smart enough to have their rich daddy own the building of a doctor who could diagnose their perfectly healthy, athletic child (who had managed to avoid the draft for four years in university already) with "ankle spurs" to avoid fighting for their country. 

If Trump has any public comments that can possibly make these private comments seem possible for him, I'll take this scandal more seriously.

Funny, I don't care about this scandal precisely because he has already said it in public - McCain was a loser, because he was a POW. His supporters and most undecideds didn't care then and they don't care now. I will save my energy for something that might make a difference.

Let's not forget how he treated Col. Vindman. And his brother.
Remember too, potential traumatic brain injuries aren't that serious. Just mere headaches.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3952 on: September 04, 2020, 02:12:37 PM »
It's incredibly sad to watch our democracy be stolen and stomped to death in real time...with 40%+ of the population cheering it on
Unfortunately, in a democracy the people get the government they deserve.

Yeaaa, but that’s not what we’ve got in the US. Every facet of our system benefits one party:
- In Presidential elections, Democrats must get ~3-4% more votes to win, thanks to the electoral college
- It is virtually impossible for Democrats to get a 60 seat majority (necessary to do anything meaningful to actually improve this system) in the senate. Half of the Senate represents just ~20% of the US population.
- The house has far too few representatives to proportionately represent US districts. Small states, again, have more representation than states with large populations.
- The courts... presidents appoint judges, and every Republican President in 30 years has lost the popular vote. Yet 5 of the 9 justices on the Supreme Court were appointed by Republicans. Which says nothing of lower courts.

We have a huge mess. I don’t know how this gets resolved. Republicans will not give any inch to fix any of this while it benefits them.

It's true that the US system is unfairly and severely slanted towards the Republican party (and is an issue).  But 40% of your country not only approves of Donald Trump . . . but thinks he's doing a fantastic job.

Let's say you're one of five lost at sea in an inflatable life raft.  When one guy keeps stabbing holes in the bottom and another guy keeps giggling and telling him to stab faster, eventually everyone's going to end up paying for it.  Even if the majority just wants to ignore them and try to survive.

Here's the Atlantic story on Trump calling America's war dead "losers" and "suckers" -

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-americans-who-died-at-war-are-losers-and-suckers/615997/

A great uncle of mine was conscripted into the British Army in WW1 and was killed in action not that far away from Belleau Wood.  When you see pictures of those rows of white gravestones in military cemetaries one of those gravestones could be his.

Let's be fair to Trump.  You have to look at it from his point of view.

Veterans are all losers who weren't smart enough to have their rich daddy own the building of a doctor who could diagnose their perfectly healthy, athletic child (who had managed to avoid the draft for four years in university already) with "ankle spurs" to avoid fighting for their country. 

If Trump has any public comments that can possibly make these private comments seem possible for him, I'll take this scandal more seriously.

Funny, I don't care about this scandal precisely because he has already said it in public - McCain was a loser, because he was a POW. His supporters and most undecideds didn't care then and they don't care now. I will save my energy for something that might make a difference.

Let's not forget how he treated Col. Vindman. And his brother.
Remember too, potential traumatic brain injuries aren't that serious. Just mere headaches.

Yeah, they aren't real problems like bone spurs.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3953 on: September 04, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »
@talltexan, what??

What about almost everything that comes out of his mouth?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3954 on: September 05, 2020, 01:19:36 AM »
It's starting to get boring watching Barr act as the President's personal attack dog, body guard, lawyer, and bullshitter. I've completely forgotten what an Attorney General is supposed to do.
Well, if he did his job, he would probably end up like the attorney general of the International Criminal Court who just got sanctioned by Trump for doing her job - investigating war crimes nad crimes against humanity.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3955 on: September 05, 2020, 04:48:33 AM »

Look at anything he's ever had to say about a member of his staff once they're no longer useful to him.  Or barring that, the opinions he expressed on POWs when confronted by John McCain four years ago.  Even if only a fraction of what he's alleged to have said during this France trip is true, he's gone out of his way to put himself in the position for people to think this is precisely something that he would say. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/trump-falsely-claims-never-called-040942139.html?ocid=uxbndlbing

The quote of the day is his opinion that Equal Opportunity training in the federal workplace is "anti-american propaganda." Nevermind that discrimination based on race is Constitutionally protected and we receive this training every year as required by law.

https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-bans-anti-american-workplace-training-sessions-on-race-2020-9?ocid=uxbndlbing
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 06:48:51 PM by Travis »

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #3956 on: September 05, 2020, 10:13:47 AM »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3957 on: September 05, 2020, 10:51:43 AM »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3958 on: September 05, 2020, 01:24:45 PM »
@talltexan, what??

What about almost everything that comes out of his mouth?

Watch till the end of this, for starters: https://mobile.twitter.com/projectlincoln/status/1302242134414651392?s=21&fbclid=IwAR1ll2AriS98yQZqvAO7lclvLIJdVSDn3-9gZXenrzbRzR_2AUmVAguSAMs

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3959 on: September 05, 2020, 06:20:01 PM »
I don't have any inside info on Trump's private comments when he skipped the Armistice Day ceremony in 2018, but I was at the ceremony at the Arc de Triumph (Trump was under cover for that) and it wasn't raining very hard.  And Macron had no issues going to the cemetery and delivering comments that day.  In fact, it was quite beautiful to watch him stand in the drizzle and speak, even though I couldn't understand most of what he said.  I do distinctly recall the French thinking Trump was pathetic for not honoring soldiers that had fought and died because of a little drizzle.  Quite a lot of talk about it in the days following Trump's visit.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3960 on: September 05, 2020, 09:23:09 PM »
I don't have any inside info on Trump's private comments when he skipped the Armistice Day ceremony in 2018, but I was at the ceremony at the Arc de Triumph (Trump was under cover for that) and it wasn't raining very hard.  And Macron had no issues going to the cemetery and delivering comments that day.  In fact, it was quite beautiful to watch him stand in the drizzle and speak, even though I couldn't understand most of what he said.  I do distinctly recall the French thinking Trump was pathetic for not honoring soldiers that had fought and died because of a little drizzle.  Quite a lot of talk about it in the days following Trump's visit.

When you think of the conditions those soldiers suffered in this makes you sick.  Laying in wet trenches, covered in urine and shit.  Poisonous gas canisters raining down to increase the misery and death.  Artillery fire night and day. 

You can't stand a little rain to honor them?  You insult them, calling them losers.  How is this possible?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3961 on: September 06, 2020, 01:30:19 AM »

When you think of the conditions those soldiers suffered in this makes you sick.  Laying in wet trenches, covered in urine and shit.  Poisonous gas canisters raining down to increase the misery and death.  Artillery fire night and day. 

You can't stand a little rain to honor them?  You insult them, calling them losers.  How is this possible?

Trump is a soziopath.
There, mystery solved.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3962 on: September 06, 2020, 06:36:41 AM »
Think this will move the needle for any Trump supporter? I doubt it will. It's precisely why I have little/no respect for Trump and his supporters.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 06:48:43 AM by MasterStache »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3963 on: September 06, 2020, 07:32:42 AM »

Trump is a soziopath.
There, mystery solved.

It's not the rain, it's the fact that it was windy.  Trump doesn't ever make public appearances when it's windy because of his combover.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3964 on: September 06, 2020, 08:12:11 AM »

Trump is a soziopath.
There, mystery solved.

It's not the rain, it's the fact that it was windy.  Trump doesn't ever make public appearances when it's windy because of his combover.

I'm sure the soldiers in the trenches cared about their hair.  /s

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3965 on: September 06, 2020, 09:23:10 AM »
From interview with Chuck Hagel today:

quote:
Well, thanks, Martha, and I'm glad you're doing a segment on this -- this story.

Well, my reaction is, if these comments are real -- and I'll address that in a second -- but if they're real, it's beneath the dignity of any commander in chief. Truly they're despicable.

Now, one of the points that one of the veterans made, which is a good point, these are anonymous sources. But let's go back and look at Mr. Trump's words himself coming out of his own mouth starting in 2016 with what he said about John McCain and what he continued to say about McCain. How he degraded the service of Generals Mattis and McMaster and just recently General Kelly. The history of -- of this president over the last three and four years is -- is pretty clear.

That 2018 experience when he did not go to the American military cemetery in France to recognize and honor the World War I Marines. Every other leader went. Every other leader drove. The leaders of France, Germany, Canada. And you can go through a litany of past things that he said from his mouth, actions that he's taken and it corroborates really the Goldberg article in "The Atlantic."

RADDATZ: And how much do you believe this will resonate with the military really?

HAGEL: Well, I think it will resonate because what I've just said, he's on the record with saying things himself over the past few years. And -- and that -- that makes the credibility of this article and those anonymous comments more and more credible.

Transcript of his conversation with Martha Raddatz; there's also an interview with Mike DeWine:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politic...ne/story?id=72847582

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3967 on: September 07, 2020, 07:20:28 AM »
Well mary trump reported than trump told don jr he would be cut off if he joined the military, and that predates this. No one in his family has served in the military. I believe the statements because they are entirely consistent with his world view of winners and losers. He's already said he knows more than the generals, didn't listen to his military advisors.  Teachers and people who have spent their life devoted to public service (including Fauci) he disparages and seems to have a complete lack of understanding why someone would make personal sacrifices to help the common good, esp as they don't get a great paycheck. And while his rich friends have been enriched (just look at his cabinet and appointments he's made including dejoy) he has consistently stiffed the "little guy" in his business dealings, bankrupting contractors who own their own business, not paying people who performed or worked to put on his rallies.  Basically he sees them as chumps, suckers and losers who follow the rules; he is a winner because he cheats, makes bank and gets away with it. In that world view, someone who is a soldier, not making bank, possibly getting injured or killed while on duty can't be anything but a sucker (because service to ones country, making a world a better place, responsibility, loyalty, duty) are meaningless concepts to him.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 07:35:59 AM by partgypsy »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3968 on: September 07, 2020, 07:39:52 AM »

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3969 on: September 07, 2020, 09:10:20 AM »
RADDATZ: And how much do you believe this will resonate with the military really?
Did anyone ask them?

He's already said he knows more than the generals, didn't listen to his military advisors.

To be fair, when they're losing to Afghan goatherds after almost nineteen years, they're not exactly demonstrating great expertise.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #3970 on: September 07, 2020, 10:03:22 AM »
Did anyone ask them?

He's already said he knows more than the generals, didn't listen to his military advisors.

To be fair, when they're losing to Afghan goatherds after almost nineteen years, they're not exactly demonstrating great expertise.

And if presidents listened to generals too closely, we certainly would have had more nuclear strikes than we have.

Blindly following generals was one of the reasons I was worried about Trump in 2016.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3971 on: September 07, 2020, 11:51:15 AM »
It's a mistake to believe generals are blindly for war. Maybe some are but the majority are to serve their country and protect our interests. At the very least our military is an asset. Generals who spill US soldiers' blood for no good reason are not looked upon favorably, to say the least.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3972 on: September 07, 2020, 11:51:48 AM »
Did anyone ask them?

That again is unfair. I am sure the US would have won if they had have send 2 or 3 million soldiers at once and not step by step. They didn't do this for the obvious reason that a politician cannot send that amount of troops to a backwater place, it would be too costly in terms of both money (taxpayer) and votes.

It's still stupid to think you can do what the Russians could not do (albeit the US helped the Taliban a lot in this case).

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3973 on: September 07, 2020, 12:03:44 PM »
My Dad when hearing we were putting more troops in Afghanistan way back when said exasperatedly, both the British and the Russians tried the same thing and failed. Anyways my point is regarding matter, generals read history. They spend their careers in making tough and often nuanced military and strategic decisions, more important  seeing the outcomes of said decision, and has to live with those decisions. Does that make them infallible? No. But it makes them a lot more qualified than 5 sec attention span Trump, whom I'm not sure has ever read a book in its entirety, cannot even get through daily security briefs (nor apparently the covid pandemic task force briefings) and whose first instinct when something goes wrong is to blame others. He's literally the guy who would be pushing women and children out of the way to get on a lifeboat on the Titanic. Ugh.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 01:49:54 PM by partgypsy »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3974 on: September 07, 2020, 12:35:28 PM »

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3975 on: September 07, 2020, 03:22:52 PM »

Ok here goes...

Here is the full list of comments made regarding veterans and military service…

• ⁠says Americans who died in war are “losers” and “suckers.”
• ⁠“Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers” he said about a U.S. military cemetery
• ⁠called John McCain “a fucking loser” when asked to lower flags to half staff
• ⁠called President George H.W. Bush a loser for being shot down during WWII
• ⁠“That guy is smart. Why did he join the military?” Trump said of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
• ⁠asked his staff to not include wounded veterans because amputees make him uncomfortable
• ⁠“I don’t get it. What was in it for them?” Trump said to Gen. John Kelly about dead veterans, while visiting Kelly’s son’s grave at Arlington
• ⁠Trump knew since Mar 2020 that Russia paid bounties to kill American troops. On July 29, Trump defended Russia arming the Taliban against the US saying the US once did the same thing
• ⁠In May ‘20, the White House ended National Guard deployments one day before they could claim benefits
• ⁠The Trump admin seized 5mil masks intended for VA hospitals. Kushner distributes these masks to private entities for a fee, who then sells the masks to the government
• ⁠Trump fired the captain of the USS Theodore Roosevelt after he warned superiors that COVID19 was spreading among his crew
• ⁠After Iran’s retaliatory strike, 109 US troops suffered brain injuries. Trump dismissed these as “headaches”
• ⁠On July 20, 2017, in room 2E924 of the Pentagon, Trump told a room full of Generals, “You’re a bunch of dopes and babies”
• ⁠Said 26,000 military sexual assaults were to be ‘expected’ bc America lets women serve
• ⁠Invited the Taliban to Camp David on the anniversary of 9/11
• ⁠Claimed that his military budget made up for his lack of military experience
• ⁠Claimed if a Humvee was hit by an IED, soldiers “go for a little ride upward & they come down.”
• ⁠Pardoned multiple war criminals, which betrayed the men of the 1st Platoon who helped convict him for violating long standing military values, discipline, and command (May&Nov, 2019)
• ⁠Trump mocked Lt. Col. Vindman for his rank and uniform. He threatened said purple heart officer resulting in the Army providing him protection. The Admin sent opposition research to the Pentagon to derail his promotion
• ⁠Trump’s Chief of Staff worked—in secret—to deny comprehensive health coverage to Vietnam Vets who suffered from Agent Orange.
• ⁠There is a facility in Tijuana for US veterans that Trump deported.
• ⁠Russia took control of the main U.S. military facility in Syria abandoned on Trump’s orders. Russia now owns the airstrip we built
• ⁠On 10/7/19, Trump abruptly withdrew from Syria after a phone call with Turkey’s president (Erdogan). Turkey subsequently bombed US Special Forces.
• ⁠sent thousands of American troops to defend the oil assets of the country that perpetrated 9/11
• ⁠In Sept 2019, he made an Air Force cargo crew stop in Scotland (where there’s no U.S. base) to refuel at a commercial airport (where it costs more), so they could stay overnight at a Trump property (which isn’t close to the airport). Trump’s golf courses are losing money so he’s forcing the military to pay for 5-star nights there.
• ⁠In Sept, 2019, Pentagon pulled funds for military schools, military housing funds, and daycare to pay for Trump’s border wall.
• ⁠In Aug, 2019, emails revealed that 3 of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago pals, running the VA, are rampant with meddling. None of them served in the military, have experience in the VA, nor underwent any approval process. Yet they directed operations without any oversight.
• ⁠Vet graves will be “dug up” for the border wall, after Trump instructed aides to seize private property. Trump told officials he would pardon them if they illegally seizing property
• ⁠Children of deployed US troops no longer guaranteed citizenship (August 28, 2019)
• ⁠On 8/2/19 Trump requisitioned military retirement funds for the border wall
• ⁠On 7/31/19 Trump ordered the Navy rescind medals to prosecutors who were prosecuted war criminals
• ⁠denied a U.S. Marine of 6 years entry into the United States for his citizenship interview (Reported 7/17/19)
• ⁠made the U.S. Navy Blue Angels violate ethics rules by having them fly at his July 4th political campaign event (July 4, 2019)
• ⁠demanded US military chiefs stand next to him at 4th of July parade (reported July 2, 2019)
• ⁠In June 2019, Trump sent troops to the border to paint the fence for a better “aesthetic appearance”
• ⁠used his D-Day interview at a cemetery commemorating fallen US soldiers to attack a Vietnam veteran (6/6/19)
• ⁠started his D-Day commemoration speech by attacking a private citizen (Bette Midlere) (2019)
• ⁠made his 2nd wife, Marla Maples, sign a prenup that would have cut off all child support if Tiffany joined the military (reported June 4th, 2019)
• ⁠On May 27, 2019, Trump turned away US military from his Memorial Day speech bc they were from the destroyer USS John S. McCain
• ⁠ordered the USS John McCain out of sight during his visit to Japan (May 15, 2019). The ship’s name was subsequently covered. (May 27, 2019)
• ⁠purged 200,000 vets’ healthcare applications (reported 5/13/19)
• ⁠deported a spouse of fallen Army soldier killed in Afghanistan, leaving their daughter parentless (April 16, 2019)
• ⁠On 3/20/19 Trump complained that a deceased war hero didn’t thank him for his funeral
• ⁠Between 12/22/2018, and 1/25/2019 Trump refused to sign his party’s funding bill, which shut down the government, which made USCG service members rely on food pantries. However, his appointees got a $10k pay raise
• ⁠banned troops from serving based on gender identity (1/22/2019)
• ⁠denied female troops access to birth control to limit sexual activity (on-going. Published 1/18/19)
• ⁠tried to deport a marine vet who is a U.S.-born citizen (Jan 16, 2019)
• ⁠When a man was caught swindling veterans pensions for high-interest “cash advances," Trump’s CFPB let him go for $1 (1/26/19)
• ⁠called a retired general a ‘dog’ with a ‘big, dumb mouth’ (1/1/19)
• ⁠increased privatization of the VA, leading to longer waits and higher taxpayer cost (2018)
• ⁠finally visited troops 2 years after taking office, but only after 154 vacation days at his properties (10/26/18)
• ⁠revealed a covert Seal Team 5 deployment, including names and faces, on Twitter during his visit to Iraq (Dec 26, 2018)
• ⁠lied to deployed troops that he gave them a 10% raise (12/26/2018). Tried giving a raise that was lower than the standard living adjustment. Congress told him that wasn’t going to work. After giving them the raise that Congress made him, he lied about it pretending that it was larger than Obama’s. It wasn’t
• ⁠fired service members living with HIV just before the 2018 holidays
• ⁠tried to slash disability and unemployment benefits for Veterans to $0 and eliminate the unemployability extrascheduler rating (Dec 17, 2018)
• ⁠called troops on Thanksgiving and told them he’s most thankful for himself (Thanksgiving, 2018)
• ⁠urged Florida to not count deployed military votes (Nov 12, 2018)
• ⁠canceled an Arlington Cemetery visit on Veterans Day due to light rain (Nov 12, 2018)
• ⁠While in Europe commemorating the end of WWI, he didn’t attend the ceremony at a US cemetery due to the rain. Other world leaders went anyway (Nov 10, 2018)
• ⁠sent troops on a phantom mission to the border and made them miss Thanksgiving with their families (Oct-Dec, 2018). He stopped using troops as a political prop after the election, but the troops remained in muddy camps on the border (Nov 7, 2018)
• ⁠changed the GI Bill through his Forever GI Act causing the VA to miss benefits, including housing allowances. This caused many vets to run out of food and rent. (reported 10/7/18)
• ⁠doubled the rejection rate for veterans requesting family deportation protections (July 5, 2018)
• ⁠deported active-duty spouses (11,800 military families face this problem as of April 2018)
• ⁠forgot a fallen soldier’s name (below) during a call to his pregnant widow, then attacked her the next day (Oct 23-24, 2017)
• ⁠"They knew what they signed up for." re: dead troops (10/18/17)
• ⁠sent commandos into an ambush w/ lack of intel, and sent contractors to pick them up, resulting in a commando being left behind, tortured, and executed. He approved the mission bc Bannon told him Obama didn’t have the guts to do it. 10/4/17
• ⁠Doesn’t stand during retreat bugle, continues to talk. “What a nice sound that is. Are they playing that for you [Sean Hannity] or me?” 10/11/17
• ⁠blocked a veteran group on Twitter (June 2017)
• ⁠ordered the discharge of active-duty immigrant troops with good records (2017-present)
• ⁠deported veterans (2017-present)
• ⁠said he knows more about ISIS than American generals (Oct 2016)
• ⁠On 10/4/16 Trump said vets get PTSD because they aren’t strong
• ⁠Trump accepted a Purple Heart from a fan at one of his rallies and said: “I always wanted to get the Purple Heart. This was much easier.” (Aug 2, 2016)
• ⁠Trump attacks Gold Star families: Myeshia Johnson (gold star widow), Khan family (gold star parents) etc. (2016-present)
• ⁠In Jan 2016, Trump sent funds raised from a veterans benefit to the Donald J Trump Foundation (the foundation was subsequently ordered shut down)
• ⁠said he has “more training militarily than a lot of the guys that go into the military” because he went to a military-style academy (2015 biography)
• ⁠said he doesn’t consider POWs heroes because they were caught. He said he prefers people who weren’t caught (July 18, 2015)
• ⁠Trump said having unprotected sex was his own personal Vietnam (1998)
• ⁠For a decade, Trump sought to kick veterans off of Fifth Avenue because he found them unsightly nuisances. 1991
• ⁠Trump dodged the draft 5 times by having a doctor diagnose him with bone spurs.
• ⁠No Trump in America has ever served in the military; this spans 5 generations and every branch of the family tree. In fact, the reason his grandfather immigrated to America was to avoid military service

But of course, if you are going to wait for another public statement just to be 100% sure, then that's on you.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3976 on: September 07, 2020, 03:40:57 PM »
Wow. I wouldn't have expected a list that long even from Trump.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3977 on: September 07, 2020, 04:01:10 PM »
Let's not forget how he insulted the parents of Humayun Khan, an Army Captain who was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star Medal & Purple Heart after he was killed in Iraq. You know, with Trump comparing his sacrifice as a business man who created jobs as similar to that of parents who lost a child in war. And, of course, insulting them for their religion as well, because why let a good opportunity to harass Muslims & women slip by.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #3978 on: September 07, 2020, 04:32:36 PM »
It's a mistake to believe generals are blindly for war. Maybe some are but the majority are to serve their country and protect our interests. At the very least our military is an asset. Generals who spill US soldiers' blood for no good reason are not looked upon favorably, to say the least.

I agree with you that not all generals are war mongers.

But I believe that several presidents (e.g. JFK) we're being pressured to strike first by military strategists.

https://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-59-the-destroyer-of-worlds/

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3979 on: September 07, 2020, 08:14:09 PM »
Did anyone ask them?

And if presidents listened to generals too closely, we certainly would have had more nuclear strikes than we have.

Blindly following generals was one of the reasons I was worried about Trump in 2016.

I was pleasantly surprised (one of the few times, and mostly by Iran's restraint) that the escalation with Iran (ripping up agreements, escalating sanctions, and killing their general in a cowardly drone strike) followed by some retaliation didn't turn in to some Iraq War fiasco x100.  Trump has no idea what he's doing in the Middle East.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3980 on: September 07, 2020, 08:20:54 PM »

-Used this year's West Point commencement as a reelection speech.
-Is trying to cut our troop presence in half in Germany just to thumb his nose at Merkel.
-Is an asshole and a bully to our allies as a primary means of communication.
-Took money out of the DoD's housing budget to build the wall.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3981 on: September 08, 2020, 04:47:05 AM »
My Dad when hearing we were putting more troops in Afghanistan way back when said exasperatedly, both the British and the Russians tried the same thing and failed. Anyways my point is regarding matter, generals read history. They spend their careers in making tough and often nuanced military and strategic decisions, more important  seeing the outcomes of said decision, and has to live with those decisions. Does that make them infallible? No. But it makes them a lot more qualified than 5 sec attention span Trump, whom I'm not sure has ever read a book in its entirety, cannot even get through daily security briefs (nor apparently the covid pandemic task force briefings) and whose first instinct when something goes wrong is to blame others. He's literally the guy who would be pushing women and children out of the way to get on a lifeboat on the Titanic. Ugh.
While saying they are violent, indecent people. And only after he tried to bribe the captain of only letting people he likes in the life boats.

But since you mentioned history: The first time I heard about the Taliban was I think 2000 when they blew up those huge thousand year old World Heritage buddha statues. That was when I thought "those guys are going to make trouble". The reason is that if you can 't even grudginly accept opinions (or here religion) of others, you are an uncurable fanatic.
Trump is the same. Only his opinion is the right one and everyone else is a bad guy.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3982 on: September 08, 2020, 05:51:38 AM »
The Taliban are bad news. They are the ones in I am Malala who were enforcing the religiously strict rules, against females attending schools. Beating or even killing people who broke their strict rules  They are kind of like evangelicals with guns; have bases of strong support, have their own schools, the government either tacitly supports them or are not strong enough to stand up to them...

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3983 on: September 08, 2020, 08:33:33 AM »
He's an idiot. But he's an idiot who hasn't started any new wars. Which also means he hasn't lost any wars.

Which puts him ahead of any US President since Carter.

Being in the rest of the world that the US goes and fights in, or drags along with it into these pointless lengthy conflicts, I consider that a good thing.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3984 on: September 08, 2020, 09:12:14 AM »
He's an idiot. But he's an idiot who hasn't started any new wars. Which also means he hasn't lost any wars.

Being in the rest of the world that the US goes and fights in, or drags along with it into these pointless lengthy conflicts, I consider that a good thing.

I think he simply wants to avoid the responsibility.  He hasn't started anything new, but he's come damn close a couple times, hasn't ended the old wars, and regularly threatens to dismantle our alliances to score vanity points.  This is the same guy who sent his no-qualification-having son in law to go solve that Middle East thing and shrugs off our troops getting missiles rained down on them because he assassinated someone.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3985 on: September 08, 2020, 10:28:32 AM »
If it doesn't serve to enrich him personally or his family members, or advance his re-election campaign, he doesn't spend time on it

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3986 on: September 08, 2020, 10:38:34 AM »

from white house leaks it seems like they are trying to actively manage him to reduce damage, such as giving him info in pieces, holding off on his orders till he forgets about them etc. Otherwise I'm sure things would be even worse. Apparently he kept having conflicts with kelley, because trump wanted to do things that would violate the constitution, violate geneva rules, contradicted by long standing treaties, etc. Trump doesn't want to do his homework and just wants to make it up as he goes along.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3987 on: September 08, 2020, 11:24:04 AM »

from white house leaks it seems like they are trying to actively manage him to reduce damage, such as giving him info in pieces, holding off on his orders till he forgets about them etc. Otherwise I'm sure things would be even worse. Apparently he kept having conflicts with kelley, because trump wanted to do things that would violate the constitution, violate geneva rules, contradicted by long standing treaties, etc. Trump doesn't want to do his homework and just wants to make it up as he goes along.

Which makes it all the more infuriating that the Republicans had a chance to get rid of him in January and they flatly refused (except for Romney).

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3988 on: September 08, 2020, 11:25:59 AM »
Meanwhile, in corruption central, https://youtu.be/MaEMNzYD6OY ... Trump was FINALLY confronted on FIRING (sic. that he should be fired) Postmaster General Louis DeJoy for his criminal straw-donor scheme.

Rigging the ballot boxes and also claiming that the popular vote is corrupt while you are President...  seriously, we need to remove him from office instead of playing by the rules while being accused of cheating.  I want a free and fair election and it is clear that Trump wants nothing of the sort.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 11:30:28 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3989 on: September 08, 2020, 12:15:15 PM »

Exactly. Which is why giving him credit for not starting wars is pretty silly.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3990 on: September 08, 2020, 01:28:12 PM »
what war(s) did Obama start?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3991 on: September 08, 2020, 01:50:27 PM »

He was involved in Libya, for sure (along with NATO). He also was president during the startup of things in Syria, and was a bit waffly on the red line around chemical weapons, but clearly was not the one to start that civil (and then ISIS) conflict. He would be blamed by some for not preventing it though.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3992 on: September 08, 2020, 01:54:29 PM »

He was involved in Libya, for sure (along with NATO). He also was president during the startup of things in Syria, and was a bit waffly on the red line around chemical weapons, but clearly was not the one to start that civil (and then ISIS) conflict. He would be blamed by some for not preventing it though.

Kind of a stretch to claim that 'Obama started new wars'.
Perhaps we should amend the earlier proclamation to read: Trump is ahead of every president since Obama.

... I can agree with that...

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3993 on: September 08, 2020, 02:06:13 PM »

Kind of a stretch to claim that 'Obama started new wars'.
Perhaps we should amend the earlier proclamation to read: Trump is ahead of every president since Obama.

... I can agree with that...
He also managed to lose any leverage the US had in Syria when he abruptly withdrew without any planning or adequate notification to the military. That was a debacle that cost US lives and handed a lot to Turkey and Russia (who have  vested interest in gas line routes through Syria).

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3994 on: September 08, 2020, 06:41:25 PM »
Today's silliness is "the generals hate me," but "the troops love me."  The generals and contractors are all warmongers wanting to spend money on weapons - except for the generals standing in the room, the service secretaries who used to work for those contractors also in the room, and the President himself who cheerfully reminds us all how much extra money he's given us to spend on those contractors. His West Point address could be boiled down to "look at how much money I'm spending on you."  As I mentioned with him diverting housing construction to his pet wall project, it certainly hasn't been spent on quality of life programs.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3995 on: September 08, 2020, 07:26:22 PM »
Today's silliness is "the generals hate me," but "the troops love me."  The generals and contractors are all warmongers wanting to spend money on weapons - except for the generals standing in the room, the service secretaries who used to work for those contractors also in the room, and the President himself who cheerfully reminds us all how much extra money he's given us to spend on those contractors. His West Point address could be boiled down to "look at how much money I'm spending on you."  As I mentioned with him diverting housing construction to his pet wall project, it certainly hasn't been spent on quality of life programs.

Well it certainly isn't his money, given we still don't know whether he actually pays any taxes at all.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3996 on: September 09, 2020, 10:00:41 AM »
As I mentioned with him diverting housing construction to his pet wall project, it certainly hasn't been spent on quality of life programs.
Or quality of walls for that matter. Even if you accept fences for walls.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3997 on: September 09, 2020, 11:38:30 AM »

Ok here goes...

Here is the full list of comments made regarding veterans and military service…

But of course, if you are going to wait for another public statement just to be 100% sure, then that's on you.

The sheer volume of this list is...just...wow!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3998 on: September 09, 2020, 12:15:57 PM »

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #3999 on: September 09, 2020, 01:24:24 PM »
Meanwhile, Trump admitted to Bob Woodward he lied to the American people about the Coronavirus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bob-woodward-rage-book-trump/2020/09/09/0368fe3c-efd2-11ea-b4bc-3a2098fc73d4_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-high_woodward-1210p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans&fbclid=IwAR2NFomDlr38HBkfkK3aen_OY0gMC9pTLCHYPNjr4Hubrm96CTuu-6Tev2w

Outrageous, but unsurprising to anyone who's been paying attention.

Admitting that he knew it was a serious situation and still downplayed it will make him lose dozens of supporters.