Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779178 times)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #3000 on: July 21, 2020, 08:32:07 AM »
I heard Trump is going to start his daily briefings again. That's awesome, from a purely entertainment standpoint.
I am curious who made this decision. I mean it seem like everyone in his administration cringes when Trump talks in front of the camera. And "damage control" seems to be a daily discussion. My guess would be maybe they see an opportunity for free airtime for him to campaign.

It's a free broadcast rally.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3001 on: July 21, 2020, 08:36:13 AM »
USA Today: 'We can’t support this' RNC plan, Jacksonville sheriff says while raising security concerns

The sheriff of Jacksonville, Florida, said Monday his office can't keep the Republican National Convention safe when it comes to his city next month, another sign of disorder as Republicans scramble to put on a "celebration" for President Donald Trump to accept the GOP nomination.

Sheriff Mike Williams, a Republican, raised concerns about funding for sufficient security for the four-day convention, which is expected to bring thousands of people to Jacksonville, as well as lacking clear plans.

“Where we are today is we can’t support this plan,” Williams said in an interview with Jacksonville media. "Where do we go from here is a good question. But where we are today, we can’t support it.”

I mean, they could have just gone with a virtual convention, like the Democrats and nearly every other big organization, because its a fucking pandemic. But that would require them to pull their heads out of their asses.

Also, Trump never pays his security bills for his rallies. It's no secret. Why was Jacksonville dumb enough to assume that they'd get paid for this?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3002 on: July 21, 2020, 09:43:24 AM »
I heard Trump is going to start his daily briefings again. That's awesome, from a purely entertainment standpoint.

Perhaps it is the eternal-optimist in me, but my hope is that these daily briefings will result in some unified guidelines for citizens to follow, instead of the patchwork of conflicting local regulations and suggestions we've been working under for the last several weeks.  I don't see the spread of a disease and the suffering of others to be entertainment, and I think we need to wise up to get this virus under control.  Perhaps team Trump has finally convinced the president that he will have no shot at re-election if Covid remains out of control this fall.  I'll take political self-interest in this case if it gets us to where we need to be as soon as possible.

Given how frequently Trump loses interest in projects and how distanced he can be from reality I'm skeptical this will hold for more than a few weeks.  We shall see.

I suppose it is possible that there will be some good information in these. Let's examine Trump's history of including genuine experts in the briefings, and allowing them to speak to facts and information, as well as be transparent when things are not going well. How often has Trump sidelined genuine experts in favor of non-technicians whose job is merely to spread irresponsible mis-information?

I think the briefing is to get some new footage of the President in the news in place of that Chris Wallace interview.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3003 on: July 21, 2020, 10:06:23 AM »

Perhaps it is the eternal-optimist in me, but my hope is that these daily briefings will result in some unified guidelines for citizens to follow, instead of the patchwork of conflicting local regulations and suggestions we've been working under for the last several weeks.  I don't see the spread of a disease and the suffering of others to be entertainment, and I think we need to wise up to get this virus under control.  Perhaps team Trump has finally convinced the president that he will have no shot at re-election if Covid remains out of control this fall.  I'll take political self-interest in this case if it gets us to where we need to be as soon as possible.

Given how frequently Trump loses interest in projects and how distanced he can be from reality I'm skeptical this will hold for more than a few weeks.  We shall see.

I suppose it is possible that there will be some good information in these. Let's examine Trump's history of including genuine experts in the briefings, and allowing them to speak to facts and information, as well as be transparent when things are not going well. How often has Trump sidelined genuine experts in favor of non-technicians whose job is merely to spread irresponsible mis-information?

I think the briefing is to get some new footage of the President in the news in place of that Chris Wallace interview.

Sadly, you are probably right.  But my hope is that the public will still get some much-needed guidance from the federal government, even if it is being staged as damage control for Trump.  I can hope...

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3004 on: July 21, 2020, 10:22:41 AM »

Best "oh shit" moment of that interview =
Trump "Oh really? It says abolish, it says defund. Let's go! Get me the charter, please"

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3005 on: July 21, 2020, 11:39:35 AM »

Trump "Oh really? It says abolish, it says defund. Let's go! Get me the charter, please"
No the best line was when Chris, after saying, "I'm going to do you a favor Mr. President" at which time Trump interrupted and when Chris finally teed up the softball for Trump to hit about the new cases in the pandemic, Trump said "Show me the death chart.  Where's the death chart?"

I think Seth Meyers got it right when he said it's as if after Pearl Harbor FDR wore a t-shirt that said "Shit happens" while he stood before Congress. 

@nereo I get the hope springs eternal, but how is that guy going to guide a briefing that produces any of what you are hoping for?  Long shot does not even begin to cover it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 11:41:22 AM by caracarn »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3006 on: July 21, 2020, 11:42:20 AM »

When Trump has to ask his helpers for "proof" you already know he's lying.

I wish we could've seen what the rest of his "Case Fatality Rate of COVID-19" sheet actually said because it definitely didn't say "Number one low mortality rate" like he claimed after glancing at it briefly. That's become one of his favorite moves - hold up a piece of paper in a way that no one can actually see it and say "see, proof".

On a related note I wish they had discussed a more useful reference number because comparing CFR's between countries with widely varied testing & infection rates isn't useful information. Adding enough context to make sense of that would be too complicated for a face to face interview.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 12:11:38 PM by Davnasty »

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3007 on: July 21, 2020, 01:03:53 PM »

When Trump has to ask his helpers for "proof" you already know he's lying.

I wish we could've seen what the rest of his "Case Fatality Rate of COVID-19" sheet actually said because it definitely didn't say "Number one low mortality rate" like he claimed after glancing at it briefly. That's become one of his favorite moves - hold up a piece of paper in a way that no one can actually see it and say "see, proof".

On a related note I wish they had discussed a more useful reference number because comparing CFR's between countries with widely varied testing & infection rates isn't useful information. Adding enough context to make sense of that would be too complicated for a face to face interview.
It may have sharpie marks on it. Trump actually kept using the words "I've been told..." and "I've heard..." Basically admitting he doesn't actually look at the reports. I guess if it's more difficult than identifying an elephant he doesn't want anything to do with it.   

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3008 on: July 21, 2020, 01:48:27 PM »
It may have sharpie marks on it. Trump actually kept using the words "I've been told..." and "I've heard..." Basically admitting he doesn't actually look at the reports.

That's not why. Trump has always used "I've been told" and "I've heard" and "People are saying" and similar phrases about everything because it's non-falsifiable. So he can make up whatever he wants to on the spot, and yet still have plausible deniability if anyone calls him a liar.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3009 on: July 21, 2020, 02:15:15 PM »
It may have sharpie marks on it. Trump actually kept using the words "I've been told..." and "I've heard..." Basically admitting he doesn't actually look at the reports.

That's not why. Trump has always used "I've been told" and "I've heard" and "People are saying" and similar phrases about everything because it's non-falsifiable. So he can make up whatever he wants to on the spot, and yet still have plausible deniability if anyone calls him a liar.

This.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3010 on: July 21, 2020, 03:34:45 PM »

Good point. I've been told that cognitive test was difficult. ( :

Also, LMAO @ Trump press conference. Took only about 15 seconds to say "Chinese virus." Also at "record jobs," which I assume to mean record number of people who lost jobs in a short period of time.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 03:37:47 PM by MasterStache »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3011 on: July 21, 2020, 04:18:36 PM »

Sadly, you are probably right.  But my hope is that the public will still get some much-needed guidance from the federal government, even if it is being staged as damage control for Trump.  I can hope...
I mean sure, it is possible that the president could use his position of authority to lead and spread useful information and help bring  healing to a divided, scared, and suffering nation. That is his job after all. It is also possible that after 3.5 years of doing the opposite he could suddenly wake up and do what he has so far demonstrated himself to be utterly incapable of being: a decent and thoughtful rational thinker.

But chances are it isn’t going to happen.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3012 on: July 21, 2020, 04:47:38 PM »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3013 on: July 21, 2020, 05:39:05 PM »

He won't be able to contain himself from campaigning at the podium. Every speech for the last four months regardless of subject matter has included "I'm awesome and Biden sucks."

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3014 on: July 22, 2020, 02:28:30 PM »
Here we go. Chicago, Kansas City, and Albuquerque (or at least those are the ones advertised).

BBCNews: Trump to send 'surge' of federal agents to US cities

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3015 on: July 22, 2020, 02:49:07 PM »
For everyone screaming about Portland - US Constitutional freedoms are suspended for 2/3rd of Americans who reside within 100 miles of the border.

https://www.aclu.org/other/constitution-100-mile-border-zone

No warrants needed, nor "reasonable suspicion"! Feds can search anybody, anywhere, for any reason or without reason. And then if feds really wanted to screw you, you can be prosecuted under FISA - i.e. no public hearings or anything.

As much as I generally like Eisenhower, he is to blame for the part 1 of this fiasco - the 100-mile border thing. You can thank the GWB junior and Patriot act for turbocharging and weaponizing FISA (originally enacted by Carter admin).

I am still hopeful that the exposure of this would lead to shedding a bright light on this and other (I'm looking at you - Patriot Act) unconstitutional stuff that is routinely upheld by the courts.

Note that the 100-mile limit doesn't apply to Albuquerque or Kansas City, both of which are now targeted for occupation.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #3016 on: July 22, 2020, 06:44:29 PM »
a pretty good takedown of some of Trump's recent ads. The factual basis of this really won't swing anyone's opinion, but goddamn is it illustrative. That it includes photos from Ukraine is just too on-point.
https://thebulwark.com/trumps-new-ad-is-amazing/

And the footage he's using in other adverts showing protests in Portland talking about how bad a Biden presidency could be ... show images of actual life under a Trump presidency. FFS.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3017 on: July 22, 2020, 08:57:48 PM »
a pretty good takedown of some of Trump's recent ads. The factual basis of this really won't swing anyone's opinion, but goddamn is it illustrative. That it includes photos from Ukraine is just too on-point.

And the footage he's using in other adverts showing protests in Portland talking about how bad a Biden presidency could be ... show images of actual life under a Trump presidency. FFS.
That link is just wow

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3018 on: July 22, 2020, 10:16:23 PM »
Are any of you watching the live video streaming from Portland, OR?  The Mayor is with them tonight.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3019 on: July 22, 2020, 11:50:55 PM »

The crazy never stops in the US of A!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3020 on: July 23, 2020, 03:26:40 AM »
Also, Trump never pays his security bills for his rallies. It's no secret. Why was Jacksonville dumb enough to assume that they'd get paid for this?

I guess the Mayor is Republican?

Sounds like a case for: The Dictator's Handbook: Why bad behavior is almost always good politics

What would the book say?
It would say the Mayor had to choose between letting Trump speak and get a popularity boost himself.
Or let him not speak and get labeled as a liberal Democrat that is the end of America.
And it is not like the mayor has to pay for it personally.

Very clear incentives.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3021 on: July 23, 2020, 04:42:51 AM »
Here we go. Chicago, Kansas City, and Albuquerque (or at least those are the ones advertised).

Election timing and city selection aside (and assuming that this really is related to "real crime" and not to protests) to send federal law enforcement man power and resources to assist local law enforcement where crime is a big problem seems like generally a good thing?

(I'm not american, so I don't really know how these things are normally handled and what problems I don't see).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3022 on: July 23, 2020, 05:03:24 AM »

Election timing and city selection aside (and assuming that this really is related to "real crime" and not to protests) to send federal law enforcement man power and resources to assist local law enforcement where crime is a big problem seems like generally a good thing?

(I'm not american, so I don't really know how these things are normally handled and what problems I don't see).

Read up on Portland, Oregon, where it appears that people who are protesting are being arrested by unidentified federal officers in unmarked cars, without due process. These events appear to be in violation of our rights as per the 1st and 4th amendments to the US Constitution.
https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2020/07/beaverton-attorney-arrested-by-feds-among-mom-protesters-now-barred-from-returning.html

I don’t trust the current president or his law enforcement lackeys. Would you?

(Also, why the fuck are Customs and Border Patrol officers arresting protesters? That is not their jurisdiction. https://www.thenation.com/article/society/border-patrol-portland-arrest/)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 05:08:00 AM by OtherJen »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3023 on: July 23, 2020, 05:12:42 AM »

Read up on Portland, Oregon, where it appears that people who are protesting are being arrested by unidentified federal officers in unmarked cars, without due process. These events appear to be in violation of our rights as per the 1st and 4th amendments to the US Constitution.
https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2020/07/beaverton-attorney-arrested-by-feds-among-mom-protesters-now-barred-from-returning.html

(Also, why the fuck are Customs and Border Patrol officers arresting protesters? That is not their jurisdiction. https://www.thenation.com/article/society/border-patrol-portland-arrest/)
What is even more shocking to me is the utter failure of the US courts, both State and Federal, to get a grip on what is happening.  If this was happening in the UK there would be court orders within the hour to release the people detained by unidentified persons with no warrants and if those court orders were not immediately complied with the Home Secretary would be in court for contempt.

What has gone wrong with the USA legal system that it apparently cannot act appropriately to protect the freedom of American citizens from government oppression?

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3024 on: July 23, 2020, 05:19:54 AM »

I happened to see a clip from the press event from the White House on Youtube yesterday, and they seemed to be stressing that this was something other than what was happening in Portland.  But I see your point - that we should not trust this message, the Trump campaign may be something more sinister than what is said.   

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3025 on: July 23, 2020, 05:31:00 AM »

I happened to see a clip from the press event from the White House on Youtube yesterday, and they seemed to be stressing that this was something other than what was happening in Portland.  But I see your point - that we should not trust this message, the Trump campaign may be something more sinister than what is said.

Given the past 3.5 years, I wouldn’t trust a damned thing that came from a White House press conference held by the Trump administration. The first weekend after his inauguration, his counselor, Kellyanne Conway, went on record stating that an obvious lie told by Trump’s former press secretary was an “alternative fact.” They have been distracting and gaslighting us since Day 1.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3026 on: July 23, 2020, 06:25:43 AM »

It's my understanding that CBP ultimately reports to Dept. of Homeland security. I imagine--with the border closed--they weren't doing much there. DHS re-deployed them to protect Federal property.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3027 on: July 23, 2020, 07:21:45 AM »

It's my understanding that CBP ultimately reports to Dept. of Homeland security. I imagine--with the border closed--they weren't doing much there. DHS re-deployed them to protect Federal property.

Trump has been building up CBP as his own private army since he got into office.  It makes sense that he would deploy them to do his bidding, whether or not there's any sensible or legal justification for doing so.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3028 on: July 23, 2020, 08:37:06 AM »

Trump has been building up CBP as his own private army since he got into office.  It makes sense that he would deploy them to do his bidding, whether or not there's any sensible or legal justification for doing so.

Well Plan A was to wall off the country and go kicking in doors looking for Mexicans.  Democrats are the next best thing apparently.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3029 on: July 23, 2020, 11:08:22 AM »
More of the routine corruption attempts from Trump that we have just become accustomed to...
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/22/us/politics/trump-turnberry-british-open.html

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3030 on: July 23, 2020, 11:16:19 AM »

May Trump hopes someone will start shooting at the fed agents and justify their presence. Otherwise they are unneeded and unwanted. Call out the National Guard if help is needed and leave that choice up to the locals.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3031 on: July 23, 2020, 03:15:56 PM »

Do CBP officers take an oath to defend the constitution, similar to the military?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3032 on: July 23, 2020, 03:40:03 PM »

Do CBP officers take an oath to defend the constitution, similar to the military?
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/3331

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3033 on: July 23, 2020, 05:42:39 PM »
Apparently an IG is looking into DOJ use of force in DC and Portland. Should be interesting to see how that plays out, and how independent the IG ends up being.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/doj-inspector-general-portland-dc-protest-investigation

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3034 on: July 24, 2020, 04:15:25 AM »
Well Plan A was to wall off the country and go kicking in doors looking for Mexicans.  Democrats are the next best thing apparently.
No, too many of them.
First Mexicans, then ANTIFA rioters, then drug dealers, then uninists, THEN Democrats and then nobody will be left to protect anyone.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/3331
They are not uniformed and certainly not civil. So your answer is no?

Anyway, if that oath would mean something, practically the whole CBP would not be able to follow their orders for years.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3035 on: July 24, 2020, 07:50:35 AM »
The writing was on the wall when the Department of Homeland Security was created. Due to the use of the word Homeland, which clearly signals racist fascism.

I wonder why Trump hasn't had the Secret Service reduce protection for Democrats and send those officers to cities to shoot kids in the head, beat up mothers, and abduct people of color?

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3036 on: July 24, 2020, 10:31:25 AM »
Apparently an IG is looking into DOJ use of force in DC and Portland. Should be interesting to see how that plays out, and how independent the IG ends up being.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/doj-inspector-general-portland-dc-protest-investigation

Recently that tends to mean the IG gets fired.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3037 on: July 24, 2020, 10:53:42 AM »
The writing was on the wall when the Department of Homeland Security was created. Due to the use of the word Homeland, which clearly signals racist fascism.

I wonder why Trump hasn't had the Secret Service reduce protection for Democrats and send those officers to cities to shoot kids in the head, beat up mothers, and abduct people of color?

Dear me, dear me. You really don't get it, do you? Any fascist must keep face and always make sure he can blame THE OTHERS.

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #3038 on: July 24, 2020, 12:54:06 PM »
Trump administration tries to block release of a documentary that shows ICE agents illegally breaking into home.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-officials-judged-success-border-policies-by-number-of-dead-2020-7

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #3039 on: July 25, 2020, 12:40:59 AM »
This weekend, Sinclair Broadcast Group is going to broadcast in local stations across the country a conspiracy theory that Dr. Fauci created the coronavirus.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/24/media/sinclair-fauci-conspiracy-bolling/index.html

This is so fucking disgusting that I'm at a loss for words.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 12:43:00 AM by Norioch »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3040 on: July 25, 2020, 04:43:05 AM »
This weekend, Sinclair Broadcast Group is going to broadcast in local stations across the country a conspiracy theory that Dr. Fauci created the coronavirus.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/24/media/sinclair-fauci-conspiracy-bolling/index.html

WOW!
The Chinese must have remarkable face changing technology to make the creator of the China Virus look like that!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3041 on: July 25, 2020, 12:30:01 PM »

WOW!
The Chinese must have remarkable face changing technology to make the creator of the China Virus look like that!

I know that the US is a proponent of free speech even when it's to the detriment of society . . . but that is ridiculous.  Blatant and provable lying should not be allowable in television news broadcasts.

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #3042 on: July 25, 2020, 05:19:58 PM »
Sinclair Broadcasting has rescheduled the airing of the hit piece against Dr. Fauci to next week’s edition of "America This Week."

It's not going to be any less fucking disgusting next week, Sinclair.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3043 on: July 25, 2020, 06:27:59 PM »

Hahahahhaha, OMG that's so absolutely nuts it made me laugh loudly, in a public place, for no apparent reason. That Dr Fauci! I mean, it must be tough on him being alternately wrong about everything AND responsible for everything!

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3044 on: July 26, 2020, 09:03:09 AM »
Fauci, yeah!    There are no limits on the perfidy of a good scapegoat!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3045 on: July 26, 2020, 10:14:48 AM »
Fauci, yeah!    There are no limits on the perfidy of a good scapegoat!

Any time, any place, remember the slur on Dr. Tam? Blamers gotta blame.  ;-/

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3046 on: July 26, 2020, 06:51:30 PM »

WOW!

I know that the US is a proponent of free speech even when it's to the detriment of society . . . but that is ridiculous.  Blatant and provable lying should not be allowable in television news broadcasts.

I do wonder if this could be pursued for slander. You comment as this being a specific US problem with our emphasis on free speech, but this, making the logical assumption that it provides 0 proof or easily disprovable "proof," it is actually against the law, right? If so, how would other countries handle it differently? The underlying implication (I believe) from what you said is that in other countries, it wouldn't even be aired. Is this the case, and if so, when would it be stopped?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3047 on: July 26, 2020, 07:17:50 PM »

WOW!

I do wonder if this could be pursued for slander. You comment as this being a specific US problem with our emphasis on free speech, but this, making the logical assumption that it provides 0 proof or easily disprovable "proof," it is actually against the law, right? If so, how would other countries handle it differently? The underlying implication (I believe) from what you said is that in other countries, it wouldn't even be aired. Is this the case, and if so, when would it be stopped?

Under Canadian laws, limiting freedom of expression is permissible if the limit is "reasonable and can be justified in a free and democratic society".  Limiting blatant lies concerning the person in charge of providing information about an ongoing pandemic would seem to fit there.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3048 on: July 26, 2020, 07:29:58 PM »
Laws exist for libel and slander.  People can't just make up nasty stuff without repercussions.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3049 on: July 26, 2020, 08:13:40 PM »
Laws exist for libel and slander.  People can't just make up nasty stuff without repercussions.
One would think so, as that's a reasonable position.

New York Times Company v. Sullivan set the bar very high, however, for comments about public figures: "When a statement concerns a public figure, the Court held, it is not enough to show that it is false for the press to be liable for libel. Instead, the target of the statement must show that it was made with knowledge of or reckless disregard for its falsity."

In practice, it has been very difficult to prove "reckless disregard for its falsity" regardless of who has said what about whom, as long as "whom" is a public figure.

That Nick Sandmann was not a public figure may have made the Post leery of a trial, although it's also possible that suit was settled for very low sum.