Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 778989 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #200 on: November 15, 2019, 07:22:01 AM »
As the legal logic goes, a militia differs from a standing army, insomuch that a militia is composed of civilians who band together as needed and who's formation is independent of the government.  Limit arms solely to an existing militia and it curtails the ability and efficacy of future militias to form and function. The founders believed strongly in the ability for these militias to freely form and defend, and were distrustful of large, standing armies enforcing domestic tranquility.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #201 on: November 15, 2019, 09:36:59 AM »
As the legal logic goes, a militia differs from a standing army, insomuch that a militia is composed of civilians who band together as needed and who's formation is independent of the government.  Limit arms solely to an existing militia and it curtails the ability and efficacy of future militias to form and function. The founders believed strongly in the ability for these militias to freely form and defend, and were distrustful of large, standing armies enforcing domestic tranquility.

Disregarding the fact that at the time the founders wrote the document a militia would only include able bodied land-owning white men (and by extension black people, the elderly, and women should not be allowed to privately own weapons . . . why does the modern US have a large standing army then?  Certainly not because everyone realized that militias in the modern day militias are largely useless for the defense of a country . . . which kinda undermines the whole original reason for the 2nd amendment anyway.  :P

And I get it.  Americans want guns, and will jump through any logical loopholes necessary to get them.  But pointing at the 2nd amendment is a particularly ridiculous way to argue for civilians to own guns.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #202 on: November 15, 2019, 09:48:31 AM »

Disregarding the fact that at the time the founders wrote the document a militia would only include able bodied land-owning white men (and by extension black people, the elderly, and women should not be allowed to privately own weapons . . . why does the modern US have a large standing army then?  Certainly not because everyone realized that militias in the modern day militias are largely useless for the defense of a country . . . which kinda undermines the whole original reason for the 2nd amendment anyway.  :P

And I get it.  Americans want guns, and will jump through any logical loopholes necessary to get them.  But pointing at the 2nd amendment is a particularly ridiculous way to argue for civilians to own guns.

FWIW I'm not a gun-owner, and I find the 'slippery-slope' arguments of the gun lobby to be ridiculous.
That said, to address your comment militias and armies are not the same thing.  Except in truly extreme circumstances the army has no domestic role in keeping law and order, and that is as intended.  As a colony the States were policed (and abused) by the British army, despite being British citizens themselves.

As for "Americans want guns" - I think that's too broad.  A minority of Americans live in households with a firearm.  But many of those that do are extremely loud about the whole bit.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #203 on: November 15, 2019, 09:49:03 AM »
Meanwhile, Trump appears to have been called out for intimidating and disparaging a witness during testimony this morning. Even a Fox News anchor thought it was a bad move by Trump.
https://www.vox.com/2019/11/15/20966520/trump-twitter-impeachment-hearings-witness-intimidation?fbclid=IwAR0FWY-Y_khWDPT27NjCtrqKnDoRiUvxNMp0dh0ROETr9G5OEvM1-0JEdjo

Schiff went on to characterize Trump’s tweets as a form of witness intimidation.

“I want to let you know, ambassador, that some of us here take witness intimidation very, very seriously,” he said.

Even Fox News’s Bret Baier thought Trump’s tweets were ill-advised. After Yovanovitch’s hearing adjourned for a break, Baier said that “this whole hearing turned on a dime when the president tweeted about her [in] real time and during the questioning Adam Schiff stopped the Democratic questioning to read the president’s tweet to her and get her response.”

“Now that enabled Schiff to then characterize that tweet as intimidating the witness or tampering the witness, which is a crime — adding essentially an article of impeachment in real time as this hearing is going on,” Baier continued. “That changed this entire dynamic of this first part of this hearing, and Republicans now are going to have to take the rest of this hearing to probably clean that up.”

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #204 on: November 15, 2019, 09:58:09 AM »
Roger Stone:  Guilty on all counts.

Mark up one more for the Mueller investigation.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #205 on: November 15, 2019, 10:36:46 AM »

What are the odds-makers saying regarding a Stone pardon? I've been relatively surprised we haven't seen Trump pardoning more of his co-conspirators, but then again maybe the whole 5th amendment issue makes that too difficult for his team to contemplate.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #206 on: November 15, 2019, 10:55:43 AM »

This witch hunt sure does seem to be finding a lot of witches.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #207 on: November 15, 2019, 11:01:55 AM »

That's how you know it's a witch hunt.  :P

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #208 on: November 15, 2019, 11:03:57 AM »

That's how you know it's a witch hunt.  :P
Seems to be good at uncovering hoaxes as well.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #209 on: November 15, 2019, 01:39:28 PM »

What are the odds-makers saying regarding a Stone pardon? I've been relatively surprised we haven't seen Trump pardoning more of his co-conspirators, but then again maybe the whole 5th amendment issue makes that too difficult for his team to contemplate.

Part of me wants Trump to be so dumb. Stone's been found guilty - nothing will change that. A pardon will be just another example of him trying to subvert justice - yet another act of self-preservation over job our country.  It probably won't change much from his supporters, but lately they haven't bothered much defending his conduct, resorting instead to attacking the scrutiny and process.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #210 on: November 15, 2019, 01:44:21 PM »
I don't see any reason why Trump would pardon Stone. He abandons people at the drop of a hat if he sees them lose. Hell, he even went so far as to delete a tweet supporting Sean Spicer on Dancing With The Stars once Spicer lost. Why would he stick with Stone?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #211 on: November 15, 2019, 01:57:47 PM »
I don't see any reason why Trump would pardon Stone. He abandons people at the drop of a hat if he sees them lose. Hell, he even went so far as to delete a tweet supporting Sean Spicer on Dancing With The Stars once Spicer lost. Why would he stick with Stone?

Yep. Stone could flip and spill details about Wikileaks and the Trump campaign but the Senate GOP won't care. Trump knows that.

I'm just surprised that anyone trusts him anymore. Are these people desperate or stupid? Or they hope to make money and escape his reach before he throws them under a bus?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2019, 02:02:45 PM »

Yep. Stone could flip and spill details about Wikileaks and the Trump campaign but the Senate GOP won't care. Trump knows that.

I'm just surprised that anyone trusts him anymore. Are these people desperate or stupid? Or they hope to make money and escape his reach before he throws them under a bus?

Trump is a very stupid man.  It's possibly hubris that they think they can outwit him.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2019, 02:11:33 PM »

OMG That's hilarious. Does he not know people can screenshot?
He never backs losers. And if he did, it never happened.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sean-spicer-dancing-with-the-stars-trump-delete-tweet-praise-2019-11
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:14:06 PM by partgypsy »

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #214 on: November 15, 2019, 05:35:46 PM »
I've been thinking, it would be so easy for the Senators to turn on Trump now.  We know from before he got the nomination that none of them really care for him.  The 2018 and 2019 elections saw more Democrats elected. They could put Pence in place and spend the next year making him look good.  Pence could even keep on with the Trump positions that his supporters like, without all the crazy. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #215 on: November 15, 2019, 05:37:25 PM »

I've been thinking, it would be so easy for the Senators to turn on Trump now.  We know from before he got the nomination that none of them really care for him.  The 2018 and 2019 elections saw more Democrats elected. They could put Pence in place and spend the next year making him look good.  Pence could even keep on with the Trump positions that his supporters like, without all the crazy. 

"My Party, right or wrong."

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #216 on: November 15, 2019, 06:04:19 PM »
Friday night pardons that seem to have pretty starkly different views depending on what news source you look at:
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2019/11/16/trump-grants-clemency-to-troops-in-three-controversial-war-crimes-cases/

Either 1) he just pardoned war criminals or, 2) he just decided that the military justice system is broken and the convictions were in error. Thoughts? I have not been following this. The timing of the pardons feels like something that he hopes unfriendly media will forget about by Monday.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2019, 08:13:27 PM »
Friday night pardons that seem to have pretty starkly different views depending on what news source you look at:
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2019/11/16/trump-grants-clemency-to-troops-in-three-controversial-war-crimes-cases/

Either 1) he just pardoned war criminals or, 2) he just decided that the military justice system is broken and the convictions were in error. Thoughts? I have not been following this. The timing of the pardons feels like something that he hopes unfriendly media will forget about by Monday.

For Lorance, almost his entire platoon testified against him that he ordered them to fire on unarmed men.  His appeals have been based on statements from others that they were armed earlier in the day or were known Taliban associates.  Gallagher's trial was an absolute mess with witnesses confessing to murder while under immunity on the stand and some weirdness in the prosecution team that is causing Navy JAG to take hard look internally.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2019/07/01/army-officer-convicted-of-murder-in-afghanistan-to-get-another-look-by-civilian-court/

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/07/02/seal-war-crimes-suspect-not-guilty-on-murder-charge/

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: November 15, 2019, 10:47:12 PM »
I don't see any reason why Trump would pardon Stone.
The danger of pardoning someone is that while it's just them accused, they can't be compelled to testify; once pardoned, they can be. So while a charge or conviction gives an incentive to a person to flip and dob in everyone else, there's a chance they might shut up; but if pardoned, they must testify under oath and drag down everyone else with them.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #219 on: November 16, 2019, 05:05:40 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/16/billionaires-americas-super-rich-elections-2020

They're being chickenshits, since Drumpf will of course win in 2020. Still, it's nice to see billionaires getting nervous.

Look, if the Democrats really want the mirror image of Drumpf, why not put up Oprah? She's also billionaire, will "speak to Americans" (rather than to the media and pundits) yet not scare elites with any actual policies of substance, has her own media company to promote herself, and so on. She ticks a lot of the lefty grievance culture boxes, too. She'd send Drumpf into a spasm of misogynistic racist tweets, and she could note that she built her wealth while he inherited it, and so on.

And she got a million votes for Obama with her endorsement, which is about half a million more than most of the current Dems candidates could get for themselves.

But I she was against invading Afghanistan, and I guess the Dems are determined to lose, again.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 05:07:11 AM by Kyle Schuant »

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #220 on: November 16, 2019, 06:23:55 AM »
The Democrats are waging a war against the rich.  It is a drag you down to our level type of campaign that will only lead to Trump winning.

2020 is being given to Trump and it is a sad thing.

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #221 on: November 16, 2019, 07:33:15 AM »
The Democrats are waging a war against the rich.  It is a drag you down to our level type of campaign that will only lead to Trump winning.

2020 is being given to Trump and it is a sad thing.

"The rich" have been fighting a mostly one-sided war against the rest of us since the Reagan administration, and yet it only becomes a topic of conversation when the non-rich push back against it.

Don't get me wrong, Warren/Sanders are too far to the left on many issues for my own personal tastes.  But according today's Republican party, any economic policy that isn't cutting taxes and benefits is "a war against the rich".

The problem is that we're in a era where well-reasoned, measured, well-articulated policy-making doesn't sell.  Demagoguery does.  It got us Trump, and there's a good chance it'll get us Warren or Sanders to oppose him in 2020.  To a significant extent, this is the product of our broken-to-all-hell primary system which encourages politicians to abandon the center to win over their party's "base".

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #222 on: November 16, 2019, 07:39:32 AM »
There is a big difference between cutting taxes on the rich and having discussions about taxing them at 70% to 95%

I never will be in the rich category but I still don't think it is fair to lump them all together and stomp on them.   There are hard workers and innovators among them, even if there are a few bad apples.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: November 16, 2019, 08:13:47 AM »
There is a big difference between cutting taxes on the rich and having discussions about taxing them at 70% to 95%

Strangely, that progressive tax bracket system worked just fine in the Eisenhower era. Odd how so many public infrastructure projects date back to that era.

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #224 on: November 16, 2019, 08:43:21 AM »

I never will be in the rich category but I still don't think it is fair to lump them all together and stomp on them.   There are hard workers and innovators among them, even if there are a few bad apples.

I don't support a wealth tax/95% tax rates on upper incomes, but those who claim that the ultra-wealthy have successfully lobbied for the modification of the tax code in order to screw the rest of us over, are absolutely correct.  As of 2017, the wealthiest Americans paid the *LOWEST* effective tax rates.

Below's an article that sums up the history of effective taxation in the US pretty well.  The shift from 1980-2018 speaks for itself.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/06/opinion/income-tax-rate-wealthy.html

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #225 on: November 16, 2019, 08:54:52 AM »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: November 16, 2019, 10:07:04 AM »

Don't get me wrong, Warren/Sanders are too far to the left on many issues for my own personal tastes. 

Political analyst Mark Halperin said they are unelectable because  their  healthcare and tax policies are "disqualifying."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:09:55 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #227 on: November 16, 2019, 10:52:54 AM »
Just a reminder that marginal tax rates are above a threshold and that the percentage is only useful so long as it is discussed in the context of the threshold that accompanies it (in a known year's $ value).

The simple fact of the matter is that strongly inequal wealth distribution is bad for society and bad for the economy (unless you sell 350 foot private yachts, then it is very good for you). This is independent of any concept of if the rich are good/bad or any policy that would lead to or reallocate that. It is bad because it concentrates power (and is thus undemocratic) and because money is useful in the economy when it is used. By used I mean passes through many transactions. This happens more when it is distributed more broadly across society. As a policy question, there is an analysis to be done at how best to keep money flowing through the economy and how to protect democratic norms against concentrations of power through money. Citizens United certainly didn't help on this front. 

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #228 on: November 16, 2019, 11:05:05 AM »
Strangely, that progressive tax bracket system worked just fine in the Eisenhower era. Odd how so many public infrastructure projects date back to that era.

The effective tax rate on the really rich during Eisenhower was only about 45%, even with the 91% income tax rate because capital gains were not taxed that high.  Most of the really rich don't actually have that much income, which is why some of these income tax proposals don't bring in the money you think they would.

Of course you could obviously raise the tax on everything to get to that 90% effective tax rate. 

None of this is a good idea.   

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #229 on: November 16, 2019, 01:57:27 PM »

The effective tax rate on the really rich during Eisenhower was only about 45%, even with the 91% income tax rate because capital gains were not taxed that high.  Most of the really rich don't actually have that much income, which is why some of these income tax proposals don't bring in the money you think they would.

the LTCG was 25%, 67% higher than it is today.  In 2018 the effective tax rate of the richest filers was about 22% - during the Eisenhower admin it was double. By any measure the rich pay far less as a percentage of their income in taxes now than during the late 1950s.  Or 60s or 70s or 80s or 90s, for that matter.

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2019, 10:17:46 AM »
wondering if Trump really is a Russian agent. Pretty much alot of what he does benefits Russia, in detriment to US interests.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2019, 10:19:59 AM »
wondering if Trump really is a Russian agent. Pretty much alot of what he does benefits Russia, in detriment to US interests.

Yes, he is a very deep cover Russian agent.  Similar to the tv show The Americans.

This of course makes much more sense than the other option, that he is an egotistical fool who forgot to pay for a twitter account handler.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2019, 10:31:23 AM »

Yes, he is a very deep cover Russian agent.  Similar to the tv show The Americans.

This of course makes much more sense than the other option, that he is an egotistical fool who forgot to pay for a twitter account handler and whose every foreign policy decision favours the country which has been bankrolling his failing real estate business for decades.

FTFY

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2019, 01:21:25 PM »

This of course makes much more sense than the other option, that he is an egotistical fool who forgot to pay for a twitter account handler.

One of the most common ways that foreign governments get citizens to work for them is to get leverage over them.  Trump has worked and tried to work in Russia for decades. It's not outlandish to suspect that he i) owes great sums of money or ii) the Russians have compromising information on him or iii) he's been promised better access (translation: profits) in exchange for certain coorporations.  i & iii could at least partially be addressed with a thorough accounting of his finances, which he has fought on multiple fronts all the way to SCOTUS.  ii has been suggested but neither confirmed nor refuted by the 'five-eyes' intelligence agencies

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #234 on: November 17, 2019, 05:39:21 PM »
That would explain some comments I've heard about the US's role in the world.  It's a lot rosier and more defensible if we assume history stopped at WWII.

Sadly not if you consider the colonization of the Philippines in 1898.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Philippines_(1898–1946)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: November 17, 2019, 06:10:22 PM »

Trump is a very stupid man.  It's possibly hubris that they think they can outwit him.

I am not sure he is stupid. He's been conning people successfully for years, so he must have some sort of brain.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2019, 07:19:11 PM »

I am not sure he is stupid. He's been conning people successfully for years, so he must have some sort of brain.

He has...high EQ of a sort? Narcissistic charm? Riding-his-coattails pull?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #237 on: November 18, 2019, 01:12:53 AM »

He has...high EQ of a sort? Narcissistic charm? Riding-his-coattails pull?
Trump's a bully. Until 2016 he had a small circle of people to bully: his family, women he subjected to his sexual attentions, those in his small family business or contracting to it.  People either submitted to the bullying or moved away from it.  There wasn't a lot of conning people, he mostly didn't fool them into scams, he just didn't pay his debts.

Since 2016 he's had a much wider field of people to bully, many of whom were unable to get away from his bullying and some of whom are now fighting back.  Sadly the courts have so far been unable to cut through his crap (although they will at some point, possibly quite soon) and the election cycle seems a long one.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #238 on: November 18, 2019, 07:28:16 AM »
I like this "circle of widening bullying", but it leaves out the important dimension of self-promotion, where--and I must be clear-eyed--Trump is a goddamned genius.

The skill at self-promotion was enhanced by the narcissism and personality and inherited wealth, but he really did manage to put together a set of extraordinary circumstances in a way no one else really has. It should be recognized that he observed and walked this path to power. I think he essentially outsmarted James Madison and Alexander Hamilton.

He also deserves scrutiny and--in my judgment--condemnation for the ways he's used this power once he won it, and the ways he won responsibilities that he lacked the skills to use.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #239 on: November 25, 2019, 07:13:31 AM »
Another career public servant and military brass has been shoved out the door - this time none other than SECNAV Richard Spencer.

I've never encountered so many high-ranking officials meet an abrupt and embarrassing end as there have been under this administration. Will the forced-dismissal of Spencer (and Mattis, and McMaster, and Kelly, and the conviction of Flynn) blunt the support of the rank-and-file military?

Trump isn't really a "General's president" anymore...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #240 on: November 25, 2019, 07:15:17 AM »
What is a "General's President"?  We don't have "General's Prime Ministers".

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #241 on: November 25, 2019, 07:23:11 AM »

Right... but Canada’s prime minister isn’t the commander in chief. POTUS is.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #242 on: November 25, 2019, 07:25:30 AM »

Trump bragged during the 2016 election that "the Generals Love me" and he has a habit of using possessive language when talking abotu them ("my generals" and "my military"). He had Flynn give a full-throated endorsement at the 2016 RNC, where he led a massive chant of "lock her [Hillary Clinton] up!"

All of this is highly unorthodox, as the space between our elected leaders and the military brass sworn to follow the President's command has been sacrosanct until now.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #243 on: November 25, 2019, 08:15:25 AM »

I mean . . . technically, our commander in Chief of the military is the queen.  But I'd be surprised if we ever actually went to war on her say so.  It's a ceremonial title.  :P

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #244 on: November 25, 2019, 08:16:34 AM »
That rhetoric ceased when McMaster was replaced by Bolton and then Kelly was replaced by Mulvaney. Trump ran out of generals.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #245 on: November 25, 2019, 08:26:43 AM »

I mean . . . technically, our commander in Chief of the military is the queen.  But I'd be surprised if we ever actually went to war on her say so.  It's a ceremonial title.  :P

Right. I was just explaining part of the reason that anyone in the US would think a "general's president" is something important.

And why a dude who faked bone spurs to get out of serving would pander so hard to the faux patriots in our country, and use that kind of BS language to do it.

It doesn't explain how they're gullible enough to fall for it, though.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:28:59 AM by Kris »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #246 on: November 25, 2019, 09:18:18 AM »
Thanks everyone. This was much more informative than a Google search would have been.

I'm somewhat surprised the Founders put that much power in the hands of the executive branch.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: November 25, 2019, 09:27:56 AM »
Thanks everyone. This was much more informative than a Google search would have been.

I'm somewhat surprised the Founders put that much power in the hands of the executive branch.

Well, the separation of powers was supposed to take care of that.

Unfortunately, the founders didn't seem to have been able to see the GOP turning into amoral sycophants.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #248 on: November 25, 2019, 09:28:54 AM »

We should move to the Roman system of having 2 presidents that alternate every day.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #249 on: November 25, 2019, 09:38:58 AM »

When I worked for the Canadian government I had to sign a declaration that I would work for her majesty the Queen should she ever require my service. That felt exceptionally weird as a US citizen.  The way it was worded it made it sound like the queen could just call me up and crash on my couch whenever she wanted.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!