Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 505425 times)

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #6500 on: January 07, 2021, 10:44:26 AM »
I mean it's kind of a coup.  They were trying to stop Biden becoming the next president.  But it was pretty keystone cops for a coup.

OK, so if people are breaking in to the capitol, harming police and attempting a coup, what should the response be? Just let them have at it? Being stupid is not a defense.

My initial impression is, other than being caught with their pants down, the police handled it admirably.  They bent but didn't break, and all things considered one person dying (not sure if the "medical emergencies" count)... well it could have gotten a lot worse.  They protected the legislators, dispersed the protestors, secured the building, and congress resumed session.

So, I think the response was pretty good all in all.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6501 on: January 07, 2021, 10:44:30 AM »
OK, so if people are breaking in to the capitol, harming police and attempting a coup, what should the response be? Just let them have at it? Being stupid is not a defense.

Based on responses to destruction of public property in the past couple of years, yes, let them have at it, after you have moved everyone in the building to safety.  At the end of the day it is just a building and carpets.

Personally I believe that a heavy hand should be applied in all these situations but as a country we are a lot more friendly toward protests.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6502 on: January 07, 2021, 10:45:29 AM »
This is fucking insane.  Trump, the insurrection, the terrorist apologists in this thread.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6503 on: January 07, 2021, 10:47:30 AM »
This is fucking insane.  Trump, the insurrection, the terrorist apologists in this thread.

Who is apologizing for whom?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6504 on: January 07, 2021, 10:49:29 AM »
Falling back on whataboutism and false equivalency to the BLM protests of the summer reveals a lot about people and how they view these events. The events of Jan 6 ultimately stand on their own, and no amount of rationalization will make it okay or justifiable, or less than outright attempt to subvert the democratic process central to our nation.

So when should the democratic process be applied?  It is ok to subvert the democratic process when a public statue needs to be taken down or when several city streets and private businesses are illegally occupied for weeks?

I personally think the statues that were torn down were (mostly) offensive (some were side casualties of the general rampage and didn't deserve the treatment) but I was offended that the government just stood around and let it happen without any sort of democratic process.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6505 on: January 07, 2021, 10:50:45 AM »

It speaks to the lack of true patriotism in the US today. Trying to stop the formal choosing of a President is just an afternoon's lark, ya know?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6506 on: January 07, 2021, 10:52:01 AM »
It speaks to the lack of true patriotism in the US today. Trying to stop the formal choosing of a President is just an afternoon's lark, ya know?

Actually a lot of the people in that group probably thought they were being patriotic, believing the lies that Trump and family told them about the election being rigged.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6507 on: January 07, 2021, 10:55:17 AM »

You're acting as if there are only two ways to respond:

Complete nonchalance to the point of complicity
OR
Condemn them all as murderous terrorists

Isn't there room for something in between? 

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6508 on: January 07, 2021, 10:55:49 AM »

No one.  An apologist argues in defense of controversial position.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6509 on: January 07, 2021, 10:57:52 AM »
There are a ton of terrorist apologists on this thread. A ton of them.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6510 on: January 07, 2021, 10:57:55 AM »

Actually a lot of the people in that group probably thought they were being patriotic, believing the lies that Trump and family told them about the election being rigged.

Those weren't patriots. Patriots would have accepted defeat at the ballot box, the 60+ lower court cases (many by Trump appointees), or the Supreme Court case. They didn't. They wanted to change the election's results.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6511 on: January 07, 2021, 10:58:23 AM »

No one.  An apologist argues in defense of controversial position.

I don't see anyone coming to these peoples defenses.  Every voice on here has expressed outrage over what they did.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6512 on: January 07, 2021, 10:59:09 AM »
Those weren't patriots. Patriots would have accepted defeat at the ballot box, the 60+ lower court cases (many by Trump appointees), or the Supreme Court case. They didn't. They wanted to change the election's results.

Never said they were patriots.  I said they *thought* themselves as patriots.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6513 on: January 07, 2021, 10:59:33 AM »

You're acting as if there are only two ways to respond:

Complete nonchalance to the point of complicity
OR
Condemn them all as murderous terrorists

Isn't there room for something in between?

Sure. There's sedition.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/part-I/chapter-115

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6514 on: January 07, 2021, 11:01:59 AM »

Never said they were patriots.  I said they *thought* themselves as patriots.

Right, understood.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6515 on: January 07, 2021, 11:22:30 AM »
Sure. There's sedition.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/part-I/chapter-115

I prefer seditionist in that they: 1) took over federal property, 2) attempted to prevent the lawful certification of the election of the President.

I think sedition is a fair characterization

dang1

• Stubble
« Reply #6516 on: January 07, 2021, 11:31:18 AM »
deplorables still dumber than a rock now only alot more traitorous

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6517 on: January 07, 2021, 11:33:36 AM »
It's pretty easy to do a thought exercise and ask yourself:

• How would yesterday have gone if instead of mostly white folks, it was mostly black folks?
  • How would yesterday have gone if it was mostly middle eastern folks?

Anyone who thinks it would have been handled the same is completely naive.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6518 on: January 07, 2021, 11:35:20 AM »
The terrorists were running through the Capitol screaming "Where's Mike Pence?" What do you think they were planning to do? Tickle the Vice President and give him a Fresca?

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6519 on: January 07, 2021, 11:37:10 AM »
A lot of police officers should be fired over this. If there is ever a situation that calls for shooting people, it's when a mob storms the U.S. Capitol. If the Secret Service hadn't protected the Senators, Representatives, and Vice President Pence, it could have been an absolute bloodbath. A huge portion of the US government was gathered there with a violent mob breaking into the building.

If the protesters were intent on spilling blood, they didn't seem very well prepared.  This is wild and dangerous speculation.  Also highly discredited by the fact that the protestors killed no one.

But hey, Mr. Minority Report over here has all the answers.
Fired guns, found explosives, dead people - looks quite dangerous to me.

They shot an unarmed woman in the chest.
So this MAGA idiot got what they always said should happen? Kill someone if they smash windows?
Hard to shead tears.

So your evidence for intent to murder legislators includes property destruction and social media posts?
Thats double of what Trump fans need for Blacks or black clothed people to want them lynched.

You say terrorist, I say vandal and miscreant.  But hey, I'm sure your precogs knew exactly what she was going to do.
A terrorist uses planned and directed violence and shock to forcefully change a political decision.
I think "electing a president" is about has much a "political decision" than you can get.

Just to clarify, you supported Trump when he said that?
So if you don't support that, it's okay to shoot at you if you loot, but if you support that, it is not to shoot at you if you loot?

It was not an attempted coup.
Using armed violence to change the political leader of a country.
How is that not a coup? Please explain! I am confused why all those cyclopedias in the world yould have got it wrong!

My initial impression is, other than being caught with their pants down, the police handled it admirably.
Since you like to compare to the BLM protests: Why does the police never act this way when those happen? What do you think?

MudPuppy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6520 on: January 07, 2021, 11:38:29 AM »
The person who was shot was crawling through a window that led to where the Vice President and the Speaker were. Number 2 and 3 in power in the country. She was told repeatedly to stop, to stand down.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6521 on: January 07, 2021, 11:39:49 AM »
The person who was shot was crawling through a window that led to where the Vice President and the Speaker were. Number 2 and 3 in power in the country. She was told repeatedly to stop, to stand down.

She was attempting to harm government officials, so she was shot. It's sad that someone died but 100% completely justified.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6522 on: January 07, 2021, 11:40:29 AM »
@LennStar
You are mixing me up with a different poster.  There is at least one quote in there not from me, and I never mention BLM.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6523 on: January 07, 2021, 11:41:44 AM »

She was attempting to harm government officials, so she was shot. It's sad that someone died but 100% completely justified.

Wild speculation.  No weapons were found on her.

MudPuppy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6524 on: January 07, 2021, 11:44:22 AM »

Agree. I donít like that a people were injured or died, but they didnít do this on a random Wednesday. Itís quite clear that they were attempting, by means of violence, to circumvent constitutional processes and seize power for their dear leader, who did nothing but encourage them until much, much too late.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6525 on: January 07, 2021, 11:45:21 AM »

Don't fuck with the Secret Service protection detail.

She earned this one 100%.

NSFW video: https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/ks8gtj/clearest_view_of_a_terrorist_attempting_to_breach/

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6526 on: January 07, 2021, 11:46:22 AM »

Agree. I donít like that a people were injured or died, but they didnít do this on a random Wednesday. Itís quite clear that they were attempting, by means of violence, to circumvent constitutional processes and seize power for their dear leader, who did nothing but encourage them until much, much too late.

He was still pretty encouraging of them in his last two messages that I saw, using more time to cajole them and remind them why they should be outraged than to try to talk them down.

MudPuppy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6528 on: January 07, 2021, 11:49:33 AM »
@ixtap too little, too late, too lacking in sincerity

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6529 on: January 07, 2021, 11:54:03 AM »

NSFW video: https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/ks8gtj/clearest_view_of_a_terrorist_attempting_to_breach/

I think this one is a bit more clear in terms of her behavior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ9oThRuMVs&bpctr=1610041725

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6530 on: January 07, 2021, 11:58:45 AM »
The worst part is these people probably fully supported the police rounding up and arresting or using lethal force against all the BLM rioters in summer, too.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6531 on: January 07, 2021, 11:58:59 AM »
Apparently, existing while back is probable cause for deadly force, but attempting to gain access to the Vice President by forcing your way through defenses while wearing a backpack is not (as long as you're white).

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6532 on: January 07, 2021, 11:59:50 AM »

Dude, please. Everyone has seen the video where she broke the window and then tried to climb into the chamber where Secret Service was protecting the Vice President and Members of Congress. She did this to herself.

v8rx7guy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6533 on: January 07, 2021, 12:00:17 PM »
I bet the secret service were told to hold that line with deadly force if necessary as the VP and SoH (?) were behind it.  Poor woman did not know exactly what she was doing, but she deserved what she got.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #6534 on: January 07, 2021, 12:01:33 PM »

I think this one is a bit more clear in terms of her behavior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ9oThRuMVs&bpctr=1610041725

I don't get what your point is. Yes, she should have been stopped outside the capitol without lethal force. But once she's inside, nearing the last line of defense, with a mob behind her, then what?

I blame whoever planned (?) the security ahead of this event.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6535 on: January 07, 2021, 12:01:54 PM »

Wow, that reddit video is brutal.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6536 on: January 07, 2021, 12:02:03 PM »

If she was ex-military she was very possibly trained to kill without weapons.  Would you want to chance the VP's life that she wasn't?

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6537 on: January 07, 2021, 12:02:15 PM »

Dude, please. Everyone has seen the video where she broke the window and then tried to climb into the chamber where Secret Service was protecting the Vice President and Members of Congress. She did this to herself.

I didn't say anything to the contrary, did I?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6538 on: January 07, 2021, 12:03:32 PM »
I bet the secret service were told to hold that line with deadly force if necessary as the VP and SoH (?) were behind it.  Poor woman did not know exactly what she was doing, but she deserved what she got.

She might have not expected to get shot (white privilege?) but I'm not sure that there's any chance someone literally breaking into the Capitol of the United States of America while congress was there in an attempt to undermine the election results has any excuse.

It's absolutely batshit insane to not expect deadly force to be used in situations like this.

I think it's a miracle more people didn't die.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6539 on: January 07, 2021, 12:03:44 PM »
If she was ex-military she was very possibly trained to kill without weapons.  Would you want to chance the VP's life that she wasn't?

rofl.  okay, you guys got me.  She was definitely trying to kill Pence with her bare hands, solo, taking on the Capitol Police and the Secret Service.  You guys got me, I was just trolling.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6540 on: January 07, 2021, 12:03:50 PM »

I didn't say anything to the contrary, did I?

Do you think she was breaking windows and trying to climb into the room with the Vice President to give him a hug and a cookie?

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #6541 on: January 07, 2021, 12:04:24 PM »
In hindsight, after watching the live footage on TV here, the most surprising is problaby how little surprised I was yesterday. Not saying I expected to see some dude sitting in Pelosis' chair in her office or anything like that, but I have over the last years learnt that pretty much anything is possible. Also republican politicians contesting and dragging out the confirmation after all the mayhem happened. That's a whole different league of sad, I mean at least those should in theory be responsible adults.

I admit being quite surprised that they actually got into the building (apparantly) so easily, but the rest I guess is just the culimination of these 4 years of seer madness.

This is where I am.  I had a bunch of coworkers emailing about this yesterday, and I was just uncharacteristically quiet.  Because what is there to say?  The people who crowed for months about a stolen election -- what did they think was going to happen?

And, if I've learned anything in the past four years, it's that you still have to do your shit even when the world is crumbling around you.  No matter what else is going on in the world, I have to take care of my family and I have to do my job.  And those obligations don't go away just because I'm terrified or outraged or heartbroken. Where was I when the Capitol was mobbed? Stuck at home because of the pandemic, watching my kids, and working.  Same as every day!

Am I angry that these people desecrated The People's House in an attempt to overturn the result of a free and fair democratic election?  Sure.  But not as angry as I was about Breonna Taylor getting murdered in her house.  Or migrant kids being separated from their parents. Or, hell, even going to war in Iraq on bad evidence.  Was I scared? Maybe a little, but not as much as I am scared of dying of Covid.  Or the climate crisis. 

All of which is to say, yesterday proved to me that my outrage is fully maxed out.  I have nothing left.  This is sad, but anyone claiming to be shocked hasn't been paying attention.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6542 on: January 07, 2021, 12:05:03 PM »

rofl.  okay, you guys got me.  She was definitely trying to kill Pence with her bare hands, solo, taking on the Capitol Police and the Secret Service.  You guys got me, I was just trolling.

We will bow to your obvious psychology training, because you are right that enraged mobs always act rationally and they are never ever dangerous. /s

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6543 on: January 07, 2021, 12:05:24 PM »
Do you think she was breaking windows and trying to climb into the room with the Vice President to give him a hug and a cookie?

Okay, so the ONLY alternative to baseless speculation about homicide intentions is baseless speculation about cookies?

I actually forgot to do my vulcan mind meld with her that morning.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6544 on: January 07, 2021, 12:05:32 PM »

The capitol police were supposed to know that she just had a teddy bear in her backpack when attempting to break into the chamber where they were holding the last line of defense!

My initial thought was that she was probably someone caught up and may not have known precisely where she was entering, but her social media suggests that she was much more intentional than I wanted to give her credit for.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6545 on: January 07, 2021, 12:06:11 PM »
I've said my piece, it's now just getting repetitive.  Cheers!

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6546 on: January 07, 2021, 12:09:49 PM »

Wow, that reddit video is brutal.

Watched it again, I don't know what's more sad, her dying, or a bunch of dudes just recording it on their selfie sticks.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6547 on: January 07, 2021, 12:12:56 PM »

The capitol police were supposed to know that she just had a teddy bear in her backpack when attempting to break into the chamber where they were holding the last line of defense!

My initial thought was that she was probably someone caught up and may not have known precisely where she was entering, but her social media suggests that she was much more intentional than I wanted to give her credit for.

Remember, the typical super-right-wing person who'd be likely to be present for this event is the exact same type of person who would be looking for an excuse to shoot someone trespassing on their property.  The cognitive dissonance must be deafening.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6548 on: January 07, 2021, 12:14:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ehnpwH_0b8

Yeah, no cause for alarm...can't imagine how this "baseless speculation" about people intending to harm the Vice President came about.  WE'LL NEVER KNOW!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 12:17:35 PM by JLee »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6549 on: January 07, 2021, 12:14:31 PM »

Okay, so the ONLY alternative to baseless speculation about homicide intentions is baseless speculation about cookies?

I actually forgot to do my vulcan mind meld with her that morning.

What do you think should have happened here?

A woman who was warned multiple times, presented with an obviously barricaded door where there are people with guns drawn standing right behind it jumps up and tries to charge over the barricade.

I mean... what do you think should happen.

There are people who are breaking property (look at the windows there) and forcibly attempting entry to the second most important person in American government. They are trying to force themselves past an obvious barrier.

Maybe she lived her whole life in a bubble where actions don't have consequences, but that's just not how reality works. This isn't a video game where you can replay if you fuck up.