Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 357686 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #4800 on: October 15, 2020, 07:12:28 AM »
I caught a bit of Fox news walking down the hall today and it sounded like "Biden Jr and a laptop repair shop, something with Ukraine, and none of it is confirmed, but we're going to talk about this for an hour." 

If you really want to understand the crazy...
This latest conspiracy theory was front-page news on Murdoch’s New York Post.  Essentially, it claims that a repair show in Delaware recovered deleted emails from Hillary Clinton’s private server.  Some of these emails detailed how Hunter Biden arranged a meeting between his father - Joe Biden - and the Ukrainian energy company Burisma.  The conspiracy goes on to say how it was less than a year before the elder Biden pressured government officials in Ukraine into firing a prosecutor who was investigating the company.

This conspiracy conveniently ignores that the prosecutor was about a corrupt as they come (the reason why the Obama administration pressured for removal as part of their anti-corruption foreign policy), not to mention that by any honest account these alleged emails don’t actually exist nor did such a meeting occur.

Tangentially related to conspiracies re-tweeted by Trump was how (and I am not making this up) - Obama faked the killing of Osama Bin Laden (aided by Iran who provided a body-double to kill... the same country Obama was sanctioning), and killed an entire squad from the elite Seal Team 6 to cover it up.  Tellingly, this was reputed by a pro-Trump member of Seal Team 6 itself. 

Lately these conspiracy theories are so hair-brained and convoluted that it takes an incredibly long time to explain, and requires the audience to accept fantastical coincidences and remarkable covert partnerships (Iran was secretly aiding Obama! A repair shop in Delaware found this trove of emails the FBI could not! Burisma = Russia, even though Ukraine has been in armed conflict during this entire period!)

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4801 on: October 15, 2020, 07:21:49 AM »
Lately these conspiracy theories are so hair-brained and convoluted that it takes an incredibly long time to explain, and requires the audience to accept fantastical coincidences and remarkable covert partnerships (Iran was secretly aiding Obama! A repair shop in Delaware found this trove of emails the FBI could not! Burisma = Russia, even though Ukraine has been in armed conflict during this entire period!)

I think that's the point. They're counting on most people accepting what they're spoon-fed and 1) not bothering to fact-check, 2) not having any working factual knowledge of global politics, and 3) not having a long-term memory beyond which team won the last Superbowl and who won "Masked Singer."

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4802 on: October 15, 2020, 07:26:46 AM »
not to mention that by any honest account these alleged emails don’t actually exist nor did such a meeting occur.

Which is why they only release pictures of the "emails" (easily faked) and not the actual emails themselves, so that you can't use the DKIM authentication in the metadata to confirm if it's real or not. Never mind that the "meeting" doesn't match up with Biden's White House schedule, so we know it didn't happen unless there was some conspiracy throughout the government at the time to cover it up.

Also the story of how they got these emails involves "someone" dropping off a broken laptop at a computer repair shop, except the repair guy has some sort of medical condition so that he can't tell if the person dropping off the laptop is Hunter Biden or not. But he can see the "Beau Biden Foundation" sticker on the bottom, so of course he snoops through the contents of the hard drive and finds these "emails", and makes a copy of the hard drive before the FBI seizes it. And then contacts Rudy Giuliani (the same one who has been cavorting around with a known Russian Agent) about it a few years later.

You literally cannot make up how stupid this shit is. Literal Fake News and conspiracy theories is all they have left.

Sanitary Engineer

• Bristles
« Reply #4803 on: October 15, 2020, 07:42:09 AM »
It occurs to me this morning that I no longer feel outraged by Trumpworld nonsense and lies.  Whatever line I set for conduct when he became President has long since been trampled upon, he was on the wrong side of it before he declared his candidacy by calling all Mexican immigrants rapists (an early example of him projecting his own behavior), and he never attempted to maintain even the lie of respectable conduct.

The Trump outrage of the day is that he is the President.  It is, every single day, the most outrageous thing about the man.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4804 on: October 15, 2020, 08:03:35 AM »

The Trump outrage of the day is that he is the President.  It is, every single day, the most outrageous thing about the man.

My daily, constant outrage is that Trump has managed to avoid accountability for his actions for essentially his entire life.  He’s skirted creditors and stiffed contractors, and largely gotten away with it through intimidation and legal (bankruptcy) protection.  He’s committed high-profile slander (the ‘Central Park 5’ and leading the Birther movement are two such examples) but leaves just enough wiggle room to slither out of any consequences.  He’s promised to reveal a ‘beautiful healthcare bill’ in the coming weeks no less than 17 times but has released nothing.  He uses the government to enrich his own pockets (and violate the Hatch act) and gets no punishment.  No fewer than two dozen women have accused him of sexual assault and/or rape but has effectively used ND agreements and settlements to avoid criminal prosecution.

The common thread - I realize - is that he keeps avoiding any of the normal consequences that almost anyone else would endure.  Through his privilege of being born rich and white he ‘gets away with it’ when anyone less fortunate, or of color, or a woman, would have been jailed and destitute and reticuled.

My vain, Schadenfreude hope is that his publicity gambit of running for president will ultimately precipitate the consequences he has largely avoided.  No longer can he hope the press will “move on”... presidents are never fully out of the spotlight and dogged reporters will keep digging.  I also think he’s damaged the Trump Corp’s brand irrevocably - once he no longer holds office the lobbyists and foreign governments who cozy up to his properties will have no reason to book rooms, and most corporate events will want to remain a-political and book their events at locales with less baggage. His adult children won’t be given the pass that he got where it was presumed that his fortune was self-made and that they are superior businessmen.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4805 on: October 15, 2020, 08:26:39 AM »
Trump is claiming at his rallies that the wall is almost done, and Mexico is paying for it.  If only people could question him at his rallies - the stuff he spouts off is offensively untrue.  Add to it the fact that folks are risking getting Covid to hear it ... well, in his own words ... it's SAD.
The Washington Post has obtained detailed U.S. government data about Trump’s border-wall project, its construction progress and contracts for each segment of the structure. The data shows the Trump administration is far from delivering on the president’s promise to finish more than 500 miles of new barriers by early next year. Though Trump had insisted Mexico would pay for the project, it has been funded entirely by the U.S. government, at costs that reach nearly $30 million per mile in southern Texas.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/immigration/border-wall-progress/

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4806 on: October 15, 2020, 08:40:15 AM »
The outrage (just another outrage) is that Trump has so poisoned the well of truth and logic in current affairs that probably 40% of Americans no longer believe the truth if they see it - which they don't, because the only sources of infomration they routinely go to are the ones that propagate the lies, aided and abetted by Trump's "fake news" propaganda.  Logical arguments just don't get through any more, nor does pointing out the ridiculousness of the lies.  I don't see what the way back from this might be, but democracy without agreed facts and truth is a fragile thing.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4807 on: October 15, 2020, 08:48:18 AM »
The outrage (just another outrage) is that Trump has so poisoned the well of truth and logic in current affairs that probably 40% of Americans no longer believe the truth if they see it - which they don't, because the only sources of infomration they routinely go to are the ones that propagate the lies, aided and abetted by Trump's "fake news" propaganda.  Logical arguments just don't get through any more, nor does pointing out the ridiculousness of the lies.  I don't see what the way back from this might be, but democracy without agreed facts and truth is a fragile thing.

We're also fighting the proof of negatives.

My favorite is when a reporter asked a Qanon supporter about the Q tweet concerning the arrest of Hillary in October 2017. The cultist responded, "Can you prove it didn't happen?"

LaineyAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #4808 on: October 15, 2020, 09:12:13 AM »

+1  There's an article in The Atlantic magazine which talks about the critical issue of trust.  Low-trust countries have much rougher societies because they can't believe that others aren't cheating them personally or politically.  The U.S. seems to have sunk to that condition.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4809 on: October 15, 2020, 11:07:35 AM »
I caught a bit of Fox news walking down the hall today and it sounded like "Biden Jr and a laptop repair shop, something with Ukraine, and none of it is confirmed, but we're going to talk about this for an hour." 

If you really want to understand the crazy...
This latest conspiracy theory was front-page news on Murdoch’s New York Post.  Essentially, it claims that a repair show in Delaware recovered deleted emails from Hillary Clinton’s private server.  Some of these emails detailed how Hunter Biden arranged a meeting between his father - Joe Biden - and the Ukrainian energy company Burisma.  The conspiracy goes on to say how it was less than a year before the elder Biden pressured government officials in Ukraine into firing a prosecutor who was investigating the company.

This conspiracy conveniently ignores that the prosecutor was about a corrupt as they come (the reason why the Obama administration pressured for removal as part of their anti-corruption foreign policy), not to mention that by any honest account these alleged emails don’t actually exist nor did such a meeting occur.

Tangentially related to conspiracies re-tweeted by Trump was how (and I am not making this up) - Obama faked the killing of Osama Bin Laden (aided by Iran who provided a body-double to kill... the same country Obama was sanctioning), and killed an entire squad from the elite Seal Team 6 to cover it up.  Tellingly, this was reputed by a pro-Trump member of Seal Team 6 itself. 

Update:  These conspiracy theories have been dubbed so outlandish that Facebook and Twitter have both taken action to limit their spread and label them false. 
Given just how reluctant these companies have been to label demonstrably false statements as such, these actions show just how completely bonkers they are.

...of course the true believers will use this as further proof of the 'Deep State' working together to hurt DJT's re-election campaign.  THey don't want us to know the truth, man!!  /s

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4810 on: October 15, 2020, 11:44:25 AM »
Indeed many of my Texan friends are posting that they're sick and tired of conservative opinions being censored by FB. Never felt to me like there was any shortage.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4811 on: October 15, 2020, 11:58:59 AM »
Indeed many of my Texan friends are posting that they're sick and tired of conservative opinions being censored by FB. Never felt to me like there was any shortage.

Yeah, I sure see a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth by conservatives yelling that they and their opinions are being censored by FB...

... on FB.

jim555

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4812 on: October 15, 2020, 01:37:27 PM »
Trump should have been banned a long time ago for violating community rules.  Let him "tweet" from whitehouse.gov.  Troll in Chief.

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4813 on: October 15, 2020, 03:30:44 PM »
Talk about wrapping things up in a nice bow. Trump gets sick, but gets over it in 3 days (and you can too if only the FDA would stop stonewalling his miracle drugs). Melania gets sick, but gets over it in a week with diet and exercise (because fuck you medical science), Barron gets sick, but barely felt it because kids are immunity factories (so why are school districts needlessly ruining our children?) The First Family's response to COVID scores a full BINGO card of everything he's been shouting about the virus. It's too good to be true.

Luck of the devil, you might say.

I have friends who also think it's a scam.  Although Trump was certainly high on something when he did all tjosectweets those tweets.

ETA my fingers and my tablet don't always get along.  Where is auto-carrot when it is needed?.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 06:08:26 PM by RetiredAt63 »

PKFFW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4814 on: October 15, 2020, 03:33:28 PM »
3) not having a long-term memory beyond which team won the last Superbowl and who won "Masked Singer."
No idea who won the masked singer but my beloved Kansas City Chiefs won the Superbowl and that will forever rest in my long term memory!

Go you CHIEEEEEEFS!!

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled thread now. :-)

Prairie Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4815 on: October 15, 2020, 04:33:17 PM »
Talk about wrapping things up in a nice bow. Trump gets sick, but gets over it in 3 days (and you can too if only the FDA would stop stonewalling his miracle drugs). Melania gets sick, but gets over it in a week with diet and exercise (because fuck you medical science), Barron gets sick, but barely felt it because kids are immunity factories (so why are school districts needlessly ruining our children?) The First Family's response to COVID scores a full BINGO card of everything he's been shouting about the virus. It's too good to be true.

I wondered if it was a fakeout also. Just so he could say "See I told you covid was no big deal". The only thing that really disproves it is all the Whitehouse staff that got it.

I have friends who also think it's a scam.  Although Trump was certainly high on something when he did all tjosectweets.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4816 on: October 15, 2020, 06:11:37 PM »

I have friends who also think it's a scam.  Although Trump was certainly high on something when he did all tjosectweets.
I wondered if it was a fakeout also. Just so he could say "See I told you covid was no big deal". The only thing that really disproves it is all the Whitehouse staff that got it.

There's no doubt that COVID hit the White House in force. 30-some people who were either at the nomination event or had direct contact with Trump that week have come up sick. The question that has yet to be answered is when he got it and started spreading it around. He'd like us to think he got it and got over it in the space of three days.  It's looking more like he was infected before the debate and has been covering up the timeline.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4817 on: October 15, 2020, 07:48:05 PM »
He was definitely fudging the timeline and probably infected a lot more people because he was too pathologically selfish to stay home.

Chris Christie is now claiming that he spent a week in the ICU with COVID-19.

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4818 on: October 16, 2020, 06:01:55 AM »
Christie knee-capped Rubio in a debate, then--upon dropping out of the race--gave Trump legitimacy with his endorsement. It should have been obvious to him then what Trump was and what this Presidency would become.

Perhaps this health scare will chasten him?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4819 on: October 16, 2020, 06:06:48 AM »
Christie knee-capped Rubio in a debate, then--upon dropping out of the race--gave Trump legitimacy with his endorsement. It should have been obvious to him then what Trump was and what this Presidency would become.

I didn't watch the full story, but apparently Christie is saying he was wrong about ignoring mask advice.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4820 on: October 16, 2020, 06:32:05 AM »

I didn't watch the full story, but apparently Christie is saying he was wrong about ignoring mask advice.

Pretty much. I don’t have a Twitter account. Has Trump started tweeting about how Christie is a loser yet?

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4821 on: October 16, 2020, 08:28:18 AM »
No, but on the subject of Tweets, the President apparently retweeted an article from Babylon Bee.

I'm not outraged by the President's retweet, as I think they (and The Onion) have been slaying lately. Honestly better coverage than the sincere news sources. I guess the outrage is that these satire sites are a better source of what's going on than anyone else.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4823 on: October 16, 2020, 11:23:01 AM »
Is there any reason (besides general asshattery) that Trump has blocked disaster relief funds for the huge CA wildfires?  I mean sure, he won’t get their EC votes, but they’re still Americans, right?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4824 on: October 16, 2020, 11:25:24 AM »
Is there any reason (besides general asshattery) that Trump has blocked disaster relief funds for the huge CA wildfires?  I mean sure, he won’t get their EC votes, but they’re still Americans, right?

He doesn't care about Americans, of course. Not even the red ones in a blue state.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4825 on: October 16, 2020, 11:25:49 AM »
He told them to rake the forests and to do forest management. They didn't listen to him.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4826 on: October 16, 2020, 11:26:30 AM »

Yes, but in Trump-land, they aren't Real Americans (TM).

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4827 on: October 16, 2020, 11:59:11 AM »

According to him, they're blue, they're terrorists, they're the enemy, they're poorly run, and various other epithets over the past couple years. Never mind that the majority of rural California voters to include the fire victims are Republicans.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4828 on: October 16, 2020, 12:07:56 PM »
And the hits just keep on coming:

NY Times: A Regulatory Rush by Federal Agencies to Secure Trump’s Legacy

In the bid to lock in new rules before Jan. 20, Mr. Trump’s team is limiting or sidestepping requirements for public comment on some of the changes and swatting aside critics who say the administration has failed to carry out sufficiently rigorous analysis.

Some cases, like a new rule to allow railroads to move highly flammable liquefied natural gas on freight trains, have led to warnings of public safety threats.

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4829 on: October 16, 2020, 12:53:22 PM »
And the hits just keep on coming:

NY Times: A Regulatory Rush by Federal Agencies to Secure Trump’s Legacy

In the bid to lock in new rules before Jan. 20, Mr. Trump’s team is limiting or sidestepping requirements for public comment on some of the changes and swatting aside critics who say the administration has failed to carry out sufficiently rigorous analysis.

Some cases, like a new rule to allow railroads to move highly flammable liquefied natural gas on freight trains, have led to warnings of public safety threats.

Shades of the Lac Megantic train derailment.

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4830 on: October 19, 2020, 07:17:51 AM »

OzzieandHarriet

• Bristles
« Reply #4831 on: October 19, 2020, 07:42:17 AM »
Republicans are already looking to 2024:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/10/18/2024-race-begins-republicans-nov-4/?itid=hp_opinions

That writer consistently lives in Lala Land. I don’t know why the Post keeps paying him.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4832 on: October 19, 2020, 07:43:11 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/10/18/2024-race-begins-republicans-nov-4/?itid=hp_opinions

That writer consistently lives in Lala Land. I don’t know why the Post keeps paying him.

Clickbait. It's why Fox continues to employ Tucker Carlson.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4833 on: October 19, 2020, 07:48:55 AM »
Bridge Magazine: 'Lock her up' chants erupt as Trump attacks Whitmer at Michigan rally

It really does feel like the president is deliberately instigating violence against my state's democratically elected governor.

President Trump renewed his attacks against Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in a raucous Muskegon rally on Saturday evening, blasting what he called “draconian” COVID-19 safety regulations as his supporters broke into chants of “lock her up.”

The refrain came less than two weeks after state and federal authorities foiled an alleged militia plot to kidnap the governor and put her on trial for “treason” before the Nov. 3 election.

Also, he's a clueless idiot about what is actually happening in the state because we aren't in lockdown now, and the decision to hold in-person school has always been up to local school boards. Everything is open, which is why our case numbers are going back up.

“You’ve got to get your governor to open up your state, okay?” Trump said minutes after stepping off Air Force One and onto a stage at the Muskegon County Airport surrounded by bleacher grand stands, American flags and thousands of supporters.

“And get your schools open,” Trump said as the crowd began to chant “lock her up,” a rallying cry Trump supporters first used against Hillary Clinton in 2016.

The chant broke out again when Trump suggested that if Biden were elected, he would impose a “draconian lockdown, like your governor is doing right now for everybody but her husband.”

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4834 on: October 19, 2020, 08:51:07 AM »

As soon as I see 'opinions' I skip right by.  I have enough opinions of my own, thanks :)

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4835 on: October 19, 2020, 09:03:42 AM »

As soon as I see 'opinions' I skip right by.  I have enough opinions of my own, thanks :)
WaPo is for you then - opinion pieces are always clearly marked.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4836 on: October 19, 2020, 09:30:11 AM »

I like WaPo's opinions section, generally.  Most of their writers are thoughtul and well written, even when I don't agree with them.  I do NOT put Hugh Hewitt into that category, and I often wonder why WaPo continues to publish his articles.  I suspect it's to deflect criticism that the paper is "Anti-Trump" (two of their other conservative writers are also Never Trumpers).  Hewitt's pieces are often parroting of Trump's latest talking points and devoid of facts.  Recent examples include "Trump has made the country better off than four years ago", "The real extremests have "D"s after their names", and "Trump’s UAE-Israel diplomacy is his Nobel moment".  They are so over the top as to be completely laughable.

It's cheerleading without any substance.  His arguments frequently have such flimsy evidence behind them that they seem almost satirical.  In his recent piece arguing that Trump "is the greatest President in my lifetime" (Note: Hewitt is 64, so the list of presidents "in his lifetime" goes back to Eisenhower), the core of his argument was that the stock market price and the ephemeral argument that America is being "noticed" internationally (So is my toddler when she throws a tantrum in the middle of the street, FWIW).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 09:34:33 AM by nereo »

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4837 on: October 19, 2020, 09:42:16 AM »

I like WaPo's opinions section, generally.  Most of their writers are thoughtul and well written, even when I don't agree with them.  I do NOT put Hugh Hewitt into that category, and I often wonder why WaPo continues to publish his articles.  I suspect it's to deflect criticism that the paper is "Anti-Trump" (two of their other conservative writers are also Never Trumpers).  Hewitt's pieces are often parroting of Trump's latest talking points and devoid of facts.  Recent examples include "Trump has made the country better off than four years ago", "The real extremests have "D"s after their names", and "Trump’s UAE-Israel diplomacy is his Nobel moment".  They are so over the top as to be completely laughable.

It's cheerleading without any substance.  His arguments frequently have such flimsy evidence behind them that they seem almost satirical.  In his recent piece arguing that Trump "is the greatest President in my lifetime" (Note: Hewitt is 64, so the list of presidents "in his lifetime" goes back to Eisenhower), the core of his argument was that the stock market price and the ephemeral argument that America is being "noticed" internationally (So is my toddler when she throws a tantrum in the middle of the street, FWIW).

Are there any pro-Trumpers who write thoughtful and well-written pieces in any medium? I'm genuinely curious. I've certainly never seen any, it's all flimsy or completely substance-less cheer-leading and parroting of talking points.

economista

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4838 on: October 19, 2020, 09:49:58 AM »
I'm way too sleep deprived to go back and find the article, but I read an article this morning that said last night in Nevada Trump went on a rant about how if Biden is elected he will listen to the scientists. I don't even know how to process that - listening to the scientists is supposed to be a bad thing? If I remember correctly he said that if he had listened to the scientists our country would be in a depression, but instead our economy is sky rocketing.

Then the post directly below that one on facebook was from NPR and it said the US COVID cases on Friday were the highest since July and 14 states set new records last week (my state is one of them). Hospital admissions are also up.

So yes Mr Trump, you are correct that by ignoring the scientists our country is sky-rocketing, with COVID cases!!

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4839 on: October 19, 2020, 09:54:56 AM »
the core of his argument was that the stock market price and the ephemeral argument that America is being "noticed" internationally (So is my toddler when she throws a tantrum in the middle of the street, FWIW).

LOL.  I suppose Trump thinks any publicity is good publicity?

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4840 on: October 19, 2020, 09:56:57 AM »
I'm way too sleep deprived to go back and find the article, but I read an article this morning that said last night in Nevada Trump went on a rant about how if Biden is elected he will listen to the scientists. I don't even know how to process that - listening to the scientists is supposed to be a bad thing? If I remember correctly he said that if he had listened to the scientists our country would be in a depression, but instead our economy is sky rocketing.

Then the post directly below that one on facebook was from NPR and it said the US COVID cases on Friday were the highest since July and 14 states set new records last week (my state is one of them). Hospital admissions are also up.

So yes Mr Trump, you are correct that by ignoring the scientists our country is sky-rocketing, with COVID cases!!

It's this one from the Hill: https://thehill.com/homenews/521638-trump-biden-will-listen-to-the-scientists-if-elected

I read that and thought, "well, yeah, that's the POINT, Orange Foolius."

Also, he's really reaching.

"The Christmas season will be cancelled. Look, remember I said we’re going to bring back Christmas? The name. Remember? We brought it back. Remember?” he asked.

"They’d say, 'Have a great season.' I say, 'No, I don’t want to have a great season. I want to say 'merry Christmas.' Say 'merry Christmas.' Now, they’re all saying 'merry Christmas,' " he added.

I thought the Trumps (or at least Melania) didn't give a fuck about Christmas. He must have gotten some backlash about that one.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 10:00:45 AM by OtherJen »

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #4841 on: October 19, 2020, 10:46:26 AM »
the core of his argument was that the stock market price and the ephemeral argument that America is being "noticed" internationally (So is my toddler when she throws a tantrum in the middle of the street, FWIW).

LOL.  I suppose Trump thinks any publicity is good publicity?

Also, at least during my lifetime there was never a moment that the US wasn't "noticed" internationally. That tends to happen to superpowers.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4842 on: October 19, 2020, 12:24:15 PM »
At the risk of veering off-topic, here's a clip of an on-air interview of a kiwi politician who lost in the last NZ election, and was called out by the interviewer for dodging questions and spreading misinformation.  https://mashable.com/article/new-zealand-tv-interview-tova-o-brien-jami-lee-ross/ 

Nicely done.  We could use some of that on this continent.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4843 on: October 19, 2020, 05:12:59 PM »
I'm not sure what to think about these 'peaceful protest' rallies Trump is holding.  First and foremost, they are all super-spreader events.  Secondly, they are re-runs - if you've seen one online, you've seen them all.  So is attending in person just the fun of chanting in a crowd (while spreading germs in the midst of a pandemic) that makes these things appealing?  It would be fascinating to see the attendees charged what it cost to fly Trump to their town, the security detail, and all the incidentals involved.  To them, it is 'free' to have this guy show up and rant for a while, but it is not free to America.  It costs money that these attendees would probably to prefer to spend on something else.  But who knows.

And the whopper in every rally - "I had a great life.  I didn't have to do this."  So, obviously, a one-term presidency should be a win!

Also, when he natters on about all the Walter Reed and Johns Hopkins doctors gathered around his bedside, and the limitless access to antibody therapeutics...  I wonder what these potentially infected rally attendees are thinking?   

So much material to be confused by.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4844 on: October 19, 2020, 05:18:36 PM »
I'm not sure what to think about these 'peaceful protest' rallies Trump is holding.  First and foremost, they are all super-spreader events.  Secondly, they are re-runs - if you've seen one online, you've seen them all.  So is attending in person just the fun of chanting in a crowd (while spreading germs in the midst of a pandemic) that makes these things appealing?  It would be fascinating to see the attendees charged what it cost to fly Trump to their town, the security detail, and all the incidentals involved.  To them, it is 'free' to have this guy show up and rant for a while, but it is not free to America.  It costs money that these attendees would probably to prefer to spend on something else.  But who knows.

And the whopper in every rally - "I had a great life.  I didn't have to do this."  So, obviously, a one-term presidency should be a win!

Also, when he natters on about all the Walter Reed and Johns Hopkins doctors gathered around his bedside, and the limitless access to antibody therapeutics...  I wonder what these potentially infected rally attendees are thinking?   

They’re not peaceful. He’s got people shouting “lock her up” about my state’s governor, and has pretty much blamed her for the recent attempt on her life.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4845 on: October 19, 2020, 05:42:22 PM »

They’re not peaceful. He’s got people shouting “lock her up” about my state’s governor, and has pretty much blamed her for the recent attempt on her life.

Makes you wonder if the team that was planning the hit was at a previous rally chanting "lock her up."

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4846 on: October 19, 2020, 05:50:31 PM »

Are there any pro-Trumpers who write thoughtful and well-written pieces in any medium? I'm genuinely curious. I've certainly never seen any, it's all flimsy or completely substance-less cheer-leading and parroting of talking points.

Well they're having a tough time coming up with bad things to say about Biden and good things to say about Trump. The most damaging thing I've seen recently is a gaffe he made 30 years ago.  The Party's meme of the week seems to be taking cheap shots at Biden's son for having a drug problem.  Trump's tactic this week is to double down on campaigning against Clinton and Obama. Trump Jr tried poo-pooing Biden's residence as being too opulent for an honest politician. Twitter roasted him pointing out he bought the house 40 years ago for cheap, fixed it up, and sold it several years ago for 10 times what he paid. Apparently he was a very good flipper in his youth.  The Twitter rebuttals also called out the Trump family for their lavish homes, questionable business success, and pointing out that "aren't the Trumps supposed to be real estate experts?"

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4847 on: October 19, 2020, 06:01:13 PM »

Makes you wonder if the team that was planning the hit was at a previous rally chanting "lock her up."

Well, this mess was a de facto Trump rally: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/10/08/whitmer-kidnap-plot-capitol-gun-rally/5931604002/

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4848 on: October 19, 2020, 06:20:55 PM »
I'm not sure how much it will matter, but this Thursday's debate should be interesting.  Trump is busy not preparing for it and heaping own-voter loyalty upon himself while Biden is doing the sensible thing that most voters would expect...  I am so frustrated at this point by Trump, I'm just not trying to lose my mind that this is our current President - quite possibly the most powerful, influential human on the planet.  Talking about how many times he has to flush the toilet.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4849 on: October 19, 2020, 06:49:31 PM »
I'm not sure how much it will matter, but this Thursday's debate should be interesting.  Trump is busy not preparing for it and heaping own-voter loyalty upon himself while Biden is doing the sensible thing that most voters would expect...  I am so frustrated at this point by Trump, I'm just not trying to lose my mind that this is our current President - quite possibly the most powerful, influential human on the planet.  Talking about how many times he has to flush the toilet.

It will certainly be interesting, if it happens: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mics-to-be-cut-off-at-thursdays-presidential-debate-to-allow-2-minute-answers-01603151807