Author Topic: Trump outrage of the day  (Read 779822 times)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
Re: Trump outrage of the day
« Reply #2550 on: June 22, 2020, 03:27:45 PM »
Today's Outrage: 
Citing the ongoing pandemic which he also has claimed to be "almost over" and a "hoax" - Trump has extended iimmigration restrictions by EO (as part of his 'Emergency Powers') through December 2020.

Look: either the pandemic is an emergency or it's not.  The official WH position seems to be "it's both".  I expect this to get shot down in the courts, but not until the fall.  Steven Miller is probably giddy with delight.
Maybe we should try and convince Trump to simply stop paying attention to immigrants, legal or otherwise. If we don't count them, they don't exist, right? The numbers could  maybe even drop to zero. Tremendous success!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2551 on: June 22, 2020, 05:43:41 PM »
As for the speech itself, I didn't find any policy details I thought were informative.

I find the discussions on the size of the crowd to be pretty idiotic, TBH, and the fact that Trump seems to care so much to be INCREDIBLY idiotic. How many people show up for a political rally in one city in a state you are virtually guaranteed to win means zilch for the general election.

Once we get past the crowd-size, I agree with you; the “speech” didn’t provide any policy initiatives, new approaches or information on we might (to borrow a phase: Make America Great Again).  Most of it was Trump’s greviences, the rest seemed to be a replay of promises made in 2016.  At least of the ~50% or so I could muster to sit through.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2552 on: June 22, 2020, 06:17:07 PM »
As for the speech itself, I didn't find any policy details I thought were informative.

I find the discussions on the size of the crowd to be pretty idiotic, TBH, and the fact that Trump seems to care so much to be INCREDIBLY idiotic. How many people show up for a political rally in one city in a state you are virtually guaranteed to win means zilch for the general election.

Once we get past the crowd-size, I agree with you; the “speech” didn’t provide any policy initiatives, new approaches or information on we might (to borrow a phase: Make America Great Again).  Most of it was Trump’s greviences, the rest seemed to be a replay of promises made in 2016.  At least of the ~50% or so I could muster to sit through.

If it was supposed to be safe territory, what was the point of holding it there? So far his reelection speeches (West Point, Tulsa) have been back-patting that didn't discuss anything for the future.  Allegedly this is a source of frustration on his reelections staff.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2553 on: June 23, 2020, 12:49:02 AM »

Discussing the size of the crowd is fun though, as one in the eye for the nastiest US President ever.  Plus it could mean no more Trump rallies, which removes both a big chunk of how Trump likes to campaign and a festering source for right wing bigotry.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2554 on: June 23, 2020, 03:47:33 AM »
Brad Pascale even tried to make it seem as though entrances were shut down and "antifa" was preventing people from coming to the arena. It's all bullshit...but regardless...that didn't stop anyone from actually attending the event.

I think Pascale is suggesting that the really tough alpha-male MAGAs are scared of snow flakes. ;-)
I thought the MAGA gear gave them super duper powers.

Only omnicognicence, not omnipotence.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2555 on: June 23, 2020, 07:43:08 AM »

At least Trump has provided us with a handy plague hat to identify unsafe people.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2556 on: June 23, 2020, 08:28:59 AM »
The crowd size issue is only an issue because Trump makes it one. It's a source of great pride for him that he can fill arenas with his followers and get the adulation he so desperately desires. Holding the rally in a deeply red state was purely to stroke Trump's ego and "re-energize" him. They hoped getting 20,000 people crammed into the arena that would laugh at Trump's jokes or clap at the nonsense he spews would reinvigorate his campaign...fail on all accounts.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2557 on: June 23, 2020, 09:00:47 AM »
I'm seeing reports that Brad Parscale may soon be replaced as campaign manager because of Tulsa. Wonder if Trump will bring back the manager who assaulted a journalist or the manager who's under house arrest for committing fraud.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2558 on: June 23, 2020, 09:09:18 AM »
I'm seeing reports that Brad Parscale may soon be replaced as campaign manager because of Tulsa. Wonder if Trump will bring back the manager who assaulted a journalist or the manager who's under house arrest for committing fraud.

Which one of his kids needs something to do? That one will probably be the next campaign manager.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2559 on: June 23, 2020, 09:16:28 AM »
Trump gave an interview on Christian Broadcasting Network where he (again) accused Obama of "Treason" - but gave few details and no evidence.  His charge of treason stems from his convoluted assertion that the Obama administration was "spying" on his campaign.  Those accusations seem to come from the FBI warrants issued for Trump aide Carter Page.

I think Trump needs to be reminded that Obama is not running against him this fall.

Quote from: Trump
It's treason. Look, when I came out a long time ago, I said they've been spying on our campaign. They've been taping, that was in quotes, meaning a modern-day version of taping, they were spying on my campaign, I told you that a long time ago. It turns out I was right. Let's see what happens to them now

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2560 on: June 23, 2020, 09:20:03 AM »
Indeed Parscale has some leverage because currently the romantic partners of both Eric Trump and Don, Jr., are employees of his firm.

I'm sure someone else can find a job for them if Parscale loses his.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2561 on: June 23, 2020, 09:23:44 AM »
Indeed Parscale has some leverage because currently the romantic partners of both Eric Trump and Don, Jr., are employees of his firm.

Are you serious?  Whatever happened to 'drain the swamp'?  This administration is like a balled up spiderweb of close relatives all employed by one another. 

What do you think the reaction would have been had HRC won and installed Chelsea and her husband Marc in positions within the WH?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2562 on: June 23, 2020, 09:27:18 AM »

Are you serious?  Whatever happened to 'drain the swamp'?  This administration is like a balled up spiderweb of close relatives all employed by one another. 

What do you think the reaction would have been had HRC won and installed Chelsea and her husband Marc in positions within the WH?

It's different, because Trump is fighting the Deep State.

Ouch, forgot that eyes aren't supposed to roll quite that far!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 10:17:09 AM by ixtap »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2563 on: June 23, 2020, 09:44:34 AM »

When you drain the swamp, you end up with the leftover muck at the bottom.

We'll never know what the GOP response would have been to HRC's children in White House positions because "her emails!"

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2564 on: June 23, 2020, 09:52:19 AM »
Sure, this is totally how it works. Maybe this will also work for things like pregnancy: if you don't test, you can't be pregnant! (I guess this is what his supporters mean when they call him a straight talker?)

President Donald Trump insisted on Tuesday that he was serious when he revealed that he had directed his administration to slow coronavirus testing in the United States — shattering the defenses of senior White House aides who argued Trump’s remarks were made in jest.

“I don’t kid. Let me just tell you. Let me make it clear,” Trump told reporters, when pressed on whether his comments at a campaign event Saturday in Tulsa, Okla., were intended as a joke.

“When you do testing to that extent, you’re going to find more people,” Trump said during the rally. “You’re going to find more cases. So I said to my people, ‘Slow the testing down, please.’”

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/i-dont-kid-trump-says-he-wasnt-joking-about-slowing-coronavirus-testing/ar-BB15SmFt?ocid=sf

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2565 on: June 23, 2020, 10:34:59 AM »
Are you serious?  Whatever happened to 'drain the swamp'?
Correct me if I am wrong, but he never said WHAT he would drain the swamp off, right? Water, frogs, intelligence, honest people...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2566 on: June 23, 2020, 10:45:01 AM »
When you drain the swamp, you end up with the leftover muck at the bottom.

We'll never know what the GOP response would have been to HRC's children in White House positions because "her emails!"

You mean Ivanka's use of a private email server for official WH communication in violation of federal regulations, right?  Right??

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2567 on: June 23, 2020, 10:51:26 AM »
Oh yes...and she was engaging in that activity before she was actually a White House employee

I think Trump already has is replacement for Pascale in house. He elevated some guy to a position which gave him a lot of power in the campaign, so it'll be easy to move Parscale out and give this guy the top job

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2568 on: June 23, 2020, 08:07:31 PM »
I read that Trump spent a full 14 minutes at the Tulsa rally addressing his perceived weaknesses at West Point when descending the ramp and drinking from his water glass like a baby. More time than he spent on any other topic, especially not current pressing events like racism, protests, or global pandemic. He even proved through demonstration that he can drink from a glass with one hand if he has to. Not that he's insecure about any of this.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2569 on: June 23, 2020, 08:13:41 PM »
I read that Trump spent a full 14 minutes at the Tulsa rally addressing his perceived weaknesses at West Point when descending the ramp and drinking from his water glass like a baby. More time than he spent on any other topic, especially not current pressing events like racism, protests, or global pandemic. He even proved through demonstration that he can drink from a glass with one hand if he has to. Not that he's insecure about any of this.

According to anonymous White House sources, he lost his shit at a meeting shortly after West Point where he spent the entire time going on about how he's a smart guy and aced a cognitive abilities test a couple years ago. He's always been viciously protective about his image, going back decades and these latest events/incidents has him on the defensive.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2570 on: June 23, 2020, 10:24:54 PM »

According to anonymous White House sources, he lost his shit at a meeting shortly after West Point where he spent the entire time going on about how he's a smart guy and aced a cognitive abilities test a couple years ago. He's always been viciously protective about his image, going back decades and these latest events/incidents has him on the defensive.

In my experience, people who go on about how smart they are, aren't.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2571 on: June 23, 2020, 11:44:37 PM »

And people that point to their head while trying to convince you just how smart they are, well...  I've actually never seen anyone other than Trump do it.  I would actually have laughed had any of my teachers or co-workers done it.  It is just that ridiculous.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2572 on: June 24, 2020, 05:30:03 AM »
That is because they cannot comprehend where they might be wrong.
And on contrary, those who are especially intelligent... well, they have an idea how much they don't know.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2573 on: June 24, 2020, 06:04:39 AM »
I wonder if he used more of this material about how strong and mentally sharp he is at the Arizona mega-church where he spoke last night. Always nice to have a powerful man--speaking from the pulpit of a church--who is focused so completely on his own abilities.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2574 on: June 24, 2020, 08:44:10 AM »
I wonder if he used more of this material about how strong and mentally sharp he is at the Arizona mega-church where he spoke last night. Always nice to have a powerful man--speaking from the pulpit of a church--who is focused so completely on his own abilities.

I didn't even bother trying to listen to this one, as his Tulsa campaign reaffirmed that his strategy will NOT involve reconciliation, but instead a doubling-down on the divisive rhetoric and cultural wedges he used in 2016.

Apparently he filled the church with 3,000 mostly young people, most of whom did not wear masks. He started 10 minutes early (perhaps to compete with the Fox News interview with John Bolton which was at the same tiem) and spoke for just over 90 minutes. Here's one snippet of what he said:
Quote from: -Trump_in_Arizona
“[Democrats] hate our history, they hate our values, and they hate everything we prize as Americans. Our country didn’t grow great with them. It grew great with you and your thought process and your ideology. The left-wing mob is trying to demolish our heritage, so they can replace it with a new oppressive regime that they alone control."

So Democrats hate our country, they aren't "real" Americans, and they want an oppressive regime.  The exact opposite of unifying.

On Covid-19:
It’s going away.  We’re going to have a vaccine very soon for the Kung Flu

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2575 on: June 24, 2020, 09:22:13 AM »
“[Democrats] hate our history, they hate our values, and they hate everything we prize as Americans. Our country didn’t grow great with them. It grew great with you and your thought process and your ideology. The left-wing mob is trying to demolish our heritage, so they can replace it with a new oppressive regime that they alone control."

So Democrats hate our country, they aren't "real" Americans, and they want an oppressive regime.  The exact opposite of unifying.

The only thing that's really unique about Trump is that he says this directly himself from the "pulpit" (metaphorical, and in this particular case literal) instead of relying on the Republican propaganda network to say it for him. It's a very disturbing change, yes, particularly in a time when I see more and more calls from the right wing to start a literal civil war, but the feeling is not exactly new.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2576 on: June 24, 2020, 11:28:01 AM »

On Covid-19:
It’s going away.  We’re going to have a vaccine very soon for the Kung Flu

Trump is projecting again...

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2577 on: June 24, 2020, 11:30:48 AM »
Have you ever asked a Trump supporter which American values they think Trump supports and Democrats hate?

They all just tell me I am stupid when I ask.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2578 on: June 24, 2020, 11:31:49 AM »
I've been critical of Trump, but I actually don't think he hates this country.

I think he views it as a source of wealth that is available to him, for his enrichment. What you feel when you look up $GE on Value-line, he feels that when he sees the United States America.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2579 on: June 24, 2020, 11:43:57 AM »
Have you ever asked a Trump supporter which American values they think Trump supports and Democrats hate?

Typically the response I get amounts to: if you don't like X you should just leave.  To me, the irony is that progressives look at societal problems and offer solutions.  Often they are overly optimistic or unworkable or expensive, but the underlying aim is to make society better.  Hard-core conservatives instead resist change, to the point where they'll argue any such change will be worse than what's already in place.  Think about the current debates around health-care, BLM and confederate monuments. 

I've been critical of Trump, but I actually don't think he hates this country.
I think Trump is particularly influenced by nationalism and this concept that 'America is the Greatest Nation on Earth' that was so pervasive among people brought up in the post-WWII world. To some degree I agree that the USA can be an incredible country and has done great things, but to believe in our superiority so completely one must also accept that our flaws and challenges need not be corrected or addressed, because "we are the best!"

You see this in his reactions to protesters, particularly kneeling during the national anthem.  To Trump, this is disrespectful to the country, a sign that the protester does not love the United States, and those who perform such an act ougth to be cast out (see my response to ixtap above).  To the protesters, they are trying to acknowledge our faults in the hopes that we can fix them and make our country better.

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2580 on: June 24, 2020, 02:50:48 PM »
From a little place far far away, I see MAGA stuff as the cause of many difficulties in the US. When you are brought up hearing of your own 'greatness', it is hard to look elsewhere in the world and see successful alternatives to current health, employment and political systems, even when they are so plainly not delivering good outcomes for all at home.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2581 on: June 24, 2020, 04:00:39 PM »

Did he just plagiarize a Bush speech about Al Qaeda? I swear I've heard this before.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2582 on: June 24, 2020, 06:53:40 PM »
From a little place far far away, I see MAGA stuff as the cause of many difficulties in the US. When you are brought up hearing of your own 'greatness', it is hard to look elsewhere in the world and see successful alternatives to current health, employment and political systems, even when they are so plainly not delivering good outcomes for all at home.

I don't think it's the MAGA idea. It's the fact that the US is so inward looking. Most people in the US watch US centric news and haven't traveled to other countries. That's not the same in Europe, the Pacific or Asia.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2583 on: June 24, 2020, 06:59:51 PM »

I don't think it's the MAGA idea. It's the fact that the US is so inward looking. Most people in the US watch US centric news and haven't traveled to other countries. That's not the same in Europe, the Pacific or Asia.

MAGA is just generally inward looking. They spent 8 years whining about Obama and every move his administration made and now tell.anyone who doesn't like Trump that they can leave of they don't like it.

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2584 on: June 24, 2020, 08:30:57 PM »

I agree - I think in many cases we're reversing cause and effect.  In many cases the popularity of the MAGA philosophy is the result of the US being inward looking, rather than our inward-looking-ness being the product of the popularity of the ideology pushed by Trump.

Ditto Trump in general.  For the most part, Trump's election is the product of problems that existed prior to his term, rather than the cause of said problems.  If we don't properly separate cause and effect, we're doomed to repeat the same problems in the not-too-distant future.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 05:04:32 AM by js82 »

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #2585 on: June 25, 2020, 06:37:43 AM »

The part that bothers me worse is the thousands of cultists eating this stuff up like he is a world-class comedian. How debased do you have to be?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2586 on: June 25, 2020, 06:48:56 AM »

The part that bothers me worse is the thousands of cultists eating this stuff up like he is a world-class comedian. How debased do you have to be?
I'm going to wager a guess they didn't show up to hear Trump talk about the protest, Covid-19 or hear anything relating to policy moving forward if he is re-elected. He was there to pat himself on the back, explain away his obvious health issues and scold the left. And top it all off with some racism.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2587 on: June 25, 2020, 06:56:18 AM »
In (Judicial) News:

The appeals court has halted the review of Michael Flynn's case.  It seems pleading guilty about lying to the FBI under oath may not result in any legal penalty to Flynn, who was Trump's first National Security Advisor (out of six thus far)

also...

The DOJ was told to "give [friend and confidant] Roger Stone a break."  According to the lead prosecutor's testimony to Congress yesterday this came down from "the highest level" and involved "heavy pressure".  Roger STone was found guilty on 7 counts last November, including witness tampering and lying to Congress.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2588 on: June 25, 2020, 07:27:45 AM »
I've had a pet theory for a while that the justice system was allowing itself to be warped so that wealthy and connected people would not have to be incarcerated during COVID. Manafort and Cohen were quietly released to home confinement.

Guess what the rest of us have been in!!!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2589 on: June 25, 2020, 07:37:35 AM »
I've had a pet theory for a while that the justice system was allowing itself to be warped so that wealthy and connected people would not have to be incarcerated during COVID. Manafort and Cohen were quietly released to home confinement.

Guess what the rest of us have been in!!!

Makes sense.  You certainly don't want wealthy people in the US penal system during Covid.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/health-pmn/death-sentence-the-hidden-coronavirus-toll-in-u-s-jails-and-prisons

Why should the wealthy have to die like the reprehensible poors?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2590 on: June 25, 2020, 09:36:31 AM »
Merely taking the set of {Manafort, Stone, Cohen, and Flynn}, you really have a diverse set of paths through the scandal (Cohen openly turning on Trump, Manafort's legal team attempting to spy for Trump's by feigning cooperation with Mueller, Stone's brazen loyalty), and they're all getting to basically the same place, i.e. NOT in prison.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2591 on: June 25, 2020, 09:44:40 AM »
Merely taking the set of {Manafort, Stone, Cohen, and Flynn}, you really have a diverse set of paths through the scandal (Cohen openly turning on Trump, Manafort's legal team attempting to spy for Trump's by feigning cooperation with Mueller, Stone's brazen loyalty), and they're all getting to basically the same place, i.e. NOT in prison.
I think Cohen is the only one who got any rehabilitation out of his path through the judicial system. He actually had a personal reckoning, dealt with the personal and familial impacts of his actions, and changed course. Manafort and Stone are so deeply corrupt that they doubled down trusting that money and influence would eventually win out. None of them are angels, but I would be okay with Cohen being able to piece a life back together and move on with that life.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2592 on: June 25, 2020, 09:52:27 AM »
It matters that Cohen is the youngest of the group, too. Stone is over 70, and he's public about having an open-marriage, which must be a difficult thing in today's environment.

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #2593 on: June 25, 2020, 05:03:12 PM »
White House ordered NIH to cancel coronavirus research funding, Fauci says

I don't mean for this to derail the conversation away from Trump's corrupting of the DOJ, because that's ALSO enormously important. It's sometimes exhausting to keep up with the relentless onslaught of diverse atrocities committed by Trump.

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #2594 on: June 25, 2020, 06:37:11 PM »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2595 on: June 26, 2020, 06:51:41 AM »
I've been following "The List" by Amy Siskind, but some of the outrages she records on there aren't really about Trump. (she's routinely getting over 200 items/week there)

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2596 on: June 26, 2020, 08:59:17 AM »
In many cases the popularity of the MAGA philosophy is the result of the US being inward looking
Plus, possibly some blowback against the excesses of the progressives, who are now so desperate to tear down and vandalise statues, they're going for monuments to African-American soldiers who fought for the Union, and men who literally gave their lives for the freedom of African-Americans.

https://www.wbur.org/artery/2020/06/03/16-statues-memorials-damaged

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-25/protesters-pull-down-wrong-us-statue/12390702

They may be Woke, but they weren't awake in history class, nor did they trouble themselves to take five minutes on wikipedia to look things up before vandalising them. You think Drumpf is stupid? You're right, he is. But this is who's most violently against him. And people react to that.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2597 on: June 26, 2020, 09:08:34 AM »
Trump was elected for reasons that should have been very obvious to the left, but the left and their elites are rarely interested in introspection. The writings of Joe Bageant, who passed away years before the rise of Trump, are a gem that everyone should read.

http://coldtype.net/joe.html

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #2598 on: June 26, 2020, 09:45:15 AM »
Trump was elected for reasons that should have been very obvious to the left, but the left and their elites are rarely interested in introspection. The writings of Joe Bageant, who passed away years before the rise of Trump, are a gem that everyone should read.

I can see obvious reasons why folks on the right are disgruntled and demanding change. How does that connect to voting for a complete charlatan fraud? Are you saying they just wanted to blow up the system? If that was the intent, are there more effective methods than electing, chanting for, abetting, a demonstrably bad leader?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2599 on: June 26, 2020, 09:57:53 AM »

The general arc of the GOP and demogrpahic support for Dems/GOP is very well documented and laid out in the broader societal context in American Theocracy, by K. Phillips. Phillips is a pretty credible source as he was a key strategist for the GOP as the southern strategy got underway. The book came out just before the 2008 crash and actually did a pretty good job of outlining the structural dangers of how the financial industry has been operating. The book is 13 years old and obviously doesn't cover recent history, but I think that it is still a really important read.
https://www.amazon.com/American-Theocracy-Politics-Religion-Borrowed/dp/0143038281

It would actually be a really good double feature with Woodard's American Nations.

This feels a bit repetitive at this point, but the Trump Administration, in coordination with other red-state governments, is asking the SCOTUS to do away with the ACA (aka, Obamacare). The argument is that because they were successful in removing the tax provision in 2017 that the entire law is invalid because it was intended to use the mandate, tax penalties, and healthcare protections in tandem. Arguments are expected to occur in late fall. So, the timing is that the GOP wants to have an argument about repeal of the ACA just before an election and in the middle of a pandemic that is stressing our healthcare system and not a credible whiff of anything to replace the ACA. FFS.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/us/politics/obamacare-trump-administration-supreme-court.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage