Author Topic: This will be my final post here  (Read 4608 times)

SomeYoungGuy

This will be my final post here
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:35:56 PM »
I did a similar post on ER.org.  I could not find my posted comment on the latest MMM blog and I'm just tired of wasting my time.  I am perfectly happy with my life, but I sometimes like to read blogs and all of the comments, as well as forums and all of the input.  I pat myself on the back for sticking with it, because there are lots of duplicate posts and things that I don't agree with, but I'm hoping this is a second Renaissance, and hearing things I don't appreciate will ultimately prepare me for the future.  I try to put out the absolute best advice I have earned through living my life.  However, once again, my comment was given the deep-6, although I have an 8 y.o and 10 y.o. that have both seen educational systems in Norway, Dubai, home-school, and American Public (and private) school.  I tried to add a good alternative, that my housewife has found peace being a paid sub at an above average public school as opposed to 'volunteer homeschooled and pay taxes' but my comment is gone.  Screw it, I guess I'm not good enough for Mustachians.  I'm starting a really cool blog as the notes suggest, because my life has been awesome and I hope other people find inspiration in what we are missing when we have not flown over the Sahara, had a buffet in Dubai, experienced Norway's fijords and hiking trails (Besegen is better than the touristy Preikstolen, but whatever), or wandered down the late night streets of Shanghai.  Life is amazing and we are lucky to be living, especially if we are able to 'get ahead' and do the amazing things we have available.  I almost died on the rim of a crater in the Philippines, because I'd never seen an inactive volcano and didn't know the gasses contained so high H2S....  but anyways, this is the last  SomeYoungGuy post.  I really need to do something with my life, as opposed to following someone else.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: This will be my final post here
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 09:43:58 PM »
you mean this one?

SomeYoungGuy January 7, 2014 at 1:20 pm #

People do seem to have lots of opinions on this, another hot-button topic. My son pitched the same fit (4th grade) but our daughter (2nd grade) looked forward to going back to public school after the break. I imagine they will both be fine and happy once the routine sets back in. My wife home-schooled and it is a lot of work, I was happy to keep my day job. Certainly more efficient than a ‘mainstream classroom’, allowing lots of field trips, but it can be equal or greater than a full-time job, preparing lessons, ensuring you are covering the material, finding electives. My wife is much happier substitute teaching part-time at their school, so she can have a flexible routine but also be ‘in the know’ on that part of our children’s lives. Lots of ways to skin this cat. I think it’s fantastic how much is available online (can even review tae kwon do forms on YouTube), that wasn’t available to us when we were their age. The more important skill to develop is maintaining focus and being a self-starter.

My dad subbed at my school every so often. It was pretty rad. Thanks for sharing, we'll miss you

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:47:51 PM »
What's a deep-6?

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 09:53:34 PM »
I'm sure your blog will be very successful, given your succinct and eloquent writing style.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:54:47 PM »
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/deep_six

A nautical expression indicating a water depth of 6 fathoms (36 feet, 10.97m) as measured by a sounding line; "deep six" acquired its idiomatic definition from the fact that something thrown overboard at or greater than this depth would be difficult if not impossible to recover.

Verb

deep six

(idiomatic) To discard, cancel, halt; to completely put an end to something.

They had put many hundreds of hours into the project before it was deep-sixed by management.

basically, deleted

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:10:46 PM »
Thanks Russ

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 10:14:18 PM »
^^Aha!  I didn't know that; always thought it had something to do with 6 feet under.  Thanks!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 10:20:47 PM »
I mean, it could be that too, these things can come from anywhere. I've also heard it has something to do with burial at sea. Maybe Nords will chime in and set us straight ;-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 10:49:23 PM »
Best of luck.

[Mod Note: Moving to Off Topic and Locking Thread.]
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.