Author Topic: Things You Should Like, But Just Don't  (Read 128951 times)

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
Re: Things You Should Like, But Just Don't
« Reply #450 on: October 21, 2015, 02:09:17 PM »

Dill pickles and peanut butter? Well I guess that's not the strangest thing I've heard of. My grandfather on my dad's side said they ate squirrel and rabbit as kids. His brother would kill them with a pellet gun and he'd help skin them and his sisters would make pot pies or stew out of them.

Uh...rabbit is a pretty normal thing to eat. Sold in grocery stores and everything.

It is? I have never seen rabbit for sale in any grocery store where I live. But then again, we go to stores like Food Lion, WM Neighborhood Market and Aldi's. What part of the country are you from?

edit to fix quote tages

I didn't mean it was as common as chicken (not mass-produced to that extent), but it would be found many of the Whole-Foods type stores, and certainly at farmers markets. But it's available to a similar extent to bison, duck, pheasant, venison, etc, in that it's a very commonly homesteaded meat. It's also a commonly hunted small game species in all parts of the country. Are you a city-person? Not meaning as pejorative, but just that if you grew up and associate mostly with urban types, then you might not realize how commonly eaten it is in rural areas. Squirrel, I will grant you, is more regionally eaten in the South.

I don't really think of myself as a city person. I live in the county, but we're right near the city line. I live in a small town of around ~20,000. I've never been to a whole foods, as we don't have one in my town. I guess the midwest has more choices when it comes to meat. I've only seen chicken, pork, beef, and fish in stores. I've never seen any of the 'wild' game unless you go farther out in the county and go to someone who shot a deer themselves. My cousin goes to a guy who makes deer sausage.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #451 on: October 21, 2015, 04:30:59 PM »

Dill pickles and peanut butter? Well I guess that's not the strangest thing I've heard of. My grandfather on my dad's side said they ate squirrel and rabbit as kids. His brother would kill them with a pellet gun and he'd help skin them and his sisters would make pot pies or stew out of them.

Uh...rabbit is a pretty normal thing to eat. Sold in grocery stores and everything.

It is? I have never seen rabbit for sale in any grocery store where I live. But then again, we go to stores like Food Lion, WM Neighborhood Market and Aldi's. What part of the country are you from?

edit to fix quote tages

I didn't mean it was as common as chicken (not mass-produced to that extent), but it would be found many of the Whole-Foods type stores, and certainly at farmers markets. But it's available to a similar extent to bison, duck, pheasant, venison, etc, in that it's a very commonly homesteaded meat. It's also a commonly hunted small game species in all parts of the country. Are you a city-person? Not meaning as pejorative, but just that if you grew up and associate mostly with urban types, then you might not realize how commonly eaten it is in rural areas. Squirrel, I will grant you, is more regionally eaten in the South.

I don't really think of myself as a city person. I live in the county, but we're right near the city line. I live in a small town of around ~20,000. I've never been to a whole foods, as we don't have one in my town. I guess the midwest has more choices when it comes to meat. I've only seen chicken, pork, beef, and fish in stores. I've never seen any of the 'wild' game unless you go farther out in the county and go to someone who shot a deer themselves. My cousin goes to a guy who makes deer sausage.

Huh. Maybe you just don't notice because you didn't grow up eating that way and don't have the connections to people who eat that way? Maybe it has to do with my particular subculture of outdoor- and biology-oriented types?  I've not been to the Carolinas...it might be different there, though I doubt it because my experience has been the same for all the places I've lived or my husband has lived, which includes MN/WI, Oregon, Arizona, and Texas. We have friends in Colorado, Montana, Arkansas, and Maine, and several states in the deep South who hunt, homestead, or at least track down and buy everything from quail to pheasants to rabbits to bison to dove to deer to alligator to sandhill crane, etc, etc. Heck, I just stopped in at a party last week (a university-undergraduate mixer), and the food theme was 'bring your favorite game meat'. There were about 60 students in attendance, and at least a dozen varieties of game (we brought white-winged dove breasts in a maple glaze sauce... SO GOOD).

So I doubt it is regional. I'm betting it is just more of a food sub-culture thing or a family-traditions type of thing. And now that I think about it, I suspect it is an easy sub-culture to 'fall out' of. For example my great grandparents had a WI farm and hunted. But then, their daughter (my grandma) moved to the city as a young woman, and raised HER family 'cooking' (if you can call it that) the store-bought, highly-packaged type of food that was all the rage in the 50s. So that food-culture essentially 'vanished' for about 20 years. But then, 3 of my grandmother's 4 daughters got back into it. One married a Greek immigrant, who ran a restaurant and had grown up hunting in Greece. One became a food professional, and of course tried everything. And my mom married into a family who happened to be foodie-types before that was a thing (this was the 1970s); none them farmed, but all hunted and fished, and they also would special-order bison, elk, antelope, lamb, ostrich, kangaroo, etc at exorbitant prices for special occasions. Cooking fresh food was a BIG deal in that family. All three of them said a whole new world of food opened up for them (and this was before today's easy-access multi-ethnic varieties).

This is interesting...I'll have to pay more attention to this as I shop around different towns in the future.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #452 on: October 25, 2015, 11:06:11 AM »
Coffee

Alcohol

I hate the taste and smell of every kind and it is so annoying when people try to convince me otherwise. I'm a grown adult I know what I like and yes I've tried all kinds of drinks, still hate it.

Cork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #453 on: October 30, 2015, 07:19:07 AM »
The book The Martian.  I love science fiction, I love space and I've studied a lot about spacecraft/habitat/mission design.  Everyone I know recommended it to me over and over, but...

I found the main character sexist, homophobic and terribly un-likable.  Most of the secondary characters were one-dimensional stereotypes and there was no significant character development among any of them.  The book was clearly never edited (some leeway here as it was originally self-published online).  The author's use of multiple writing styles and perspectives was inept and distracting.  I got the book club tie-in edition featuring interviews with the author.  He sounds every bit as self-absorbed and unlikable as Mark Watney because that's purposefully how he wrote the character - his own little Gary Stu.

I am working up the courage to go see the movie because I love the cast and I liked the basic concept.  This is the only time I have ever hoped the movie butchers the book because I think I would actually enjoy it then.

Stand up and walk away from this table right now.  :-)

You expected supporting characters to develop in a book about one guy stuck on a red rock?  Yes some of it could have been cleaned up but over all it was a stupid 300 page space action page turner with potatoes grown in poop.  I have been waiting for gf to get back in town so we can go see it, the movie has got basically good reviews.  I would much rather take the stereotypes in The Martian than in Big Bang Theory :-)  (but dont recall the sexism or homophobia in the book so dont quote me to harshly.)

will watch the SNL link shortly.

I agree with Alanstache, in fact, I thought it was refreshing how they portrayed the captain and the media liason as powerful and respected women in the book.

Where was homophobia and sexism in the book?

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #454 on: October 30, 2015, 09:53:31 AM »

edit to fix quote tages

Huh. Maybe you just don't notice because you didn't grow up eating that way and don't have the connections to people who eat that way? Maybe it has to do with my particular subculture of outdoor- and biology-oriented types?  I've not been to the Carolinas...it might be different there, though I doubt it because my experience has been the same for all the places I've lived or my husband has lived, which includes MN/WI, Oregon, Arizona, and Texas. We have friends in Colorado, Montana, Arkansas, and Maine, and several states in the deep South who hunt, homestead, or at least track down and buy everything from quail to pheasants to rabbits to bison to dove to deer to alligator to sandhill crane, etc, etc. Heck, I just stopped in at a party last week (a university-undergraduate mixer), and the food theme was 'bring your favorite game meat'. There were about 60 students in attendance, and at least a dozen varieties of game (we brought white-winged dove breasts in a maple glaze sauce... SO GOOD).

So I doubt it is regional. I'm betting it is just more of a food sub-culture thing or a family-traditions type of thing. And now that I think about it, I suspect it is an easy sub-culture to 'fall out' of. For example my great grandparents had a WI farm and hunted. But then, their daughter (my grandma) moved to the city as a young woman, and raised HER family 'cooking' (if you can call it that) the store-bought, highly-packaged type of food that was all the rage in the 50s. So that food-culture essentially 'vanished' for about 20 years. But then, 3 of my grandmother's 4 daughters got back into it. One married a Greek immigrant, who ran a restaurant and had grown up hunting in Greece. One became a food professional, and of course tried everything. And my mom married into a family who happened to be foodie-types before that was a thing (this was the 1970s); none them farmed, but all hunted and fished, and they also would special-order bison, elk, antelope, lamb, ostrich, kangaroo, etc at exorbitant prices for special occasions. Cooking fresh food was a BIG deal in that family. All three of them said a whole new world of food opened up for them (and this was before today's easy-access multi-ethnic varieties).

This is interesting...I'll have to pay more attention to this as I shop around different towns in the future.

In some aras of Europe it was really common until a few decades ago, but is falling out of fashion and it's rare to find it in grocerie stores.

Personal anecdote:
While I was working as receptionist in a hotel in Italy a youg America couple came to me with a menu, and they ask me to explain a few dishes. One of them was indeed a rabbit dish ("coniglio alla cacciatora") and the girl goes:
"Rabbit? Like, a bunny?"
Me: "Yes madam, a bunny stew" 
She looks totally horrified.
Her boyfriend: "And what does it taste like?"
Me: "It's really similar to cat meat" (true fact!)
The look on their face... I thought she was going to cry.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #455 on: November 02, 2015, 06:08:47 AM »
Halloween

other people's children  (some exceptions)

girlie drinks  (Scotch and soda on the rocks, I'm not 19)

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #456 on: November 02, 2015, 01:05:23 PM »
That's because you haven't tried Erica's "girlie" drinks.  She comes up with amazing cocktails that are delicious and strong but not at all silly.  http://www.nwedible.com/topics/cocktails/  My very favorite (so far) is the Gin and Ginger http://www.nwedible.com/the-gin-ginger-cocktail/, but I also really love the Marmalade Old Fashioned http://www.nwedible.com/the-marmalade-old-fashioned/.  Not that I've tried every single one, but I'm working on it!  :D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:13:28 PM by Freckles »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #457 on: November 02, 2015, 01:08:01 PM »
Growlers for beer. I live in the PNW. I like beer. I like saving money. Growlers and growlettes should be my favorite, right? Wrong. I find it annoying to have a time-line on which I need to drink my beer, and they are hard to wash properly. I hate that they're tinted so I can't see how clean I've gotten it.

Irks me.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #458 on: November 02, 2015, 05:41:22 PM »
That's because you haven't tried Erica's "girlie" drinks.  She comes up with amazing cocktails that are delicious and strong but not at all silly.  http://www.nwedible.com/topics/cocktails/  My very favorite (so far) is the Gin and Ginger http://www.nwedible.com/the-gin-ginger-cocktail/, but I also really love the Marmalade Old Fashioned http://www.nwedible.com/the-marmalade-old-fashioned/.  Not that I've tried every single one, but I'm working on it!  :D

Ah, thank you kindly for the shout out, Freckles! So glad you like my cocktails! Most of mine are variations on really classic drinks, and I tend to go light on the sweet component cause that's my own preference.

I'd suspect FLA is opposed to the same kind of drinks I am: Jolly Rancher flavored or fake-"tini" drinks or mildly alcoholic smoothies - the kind of drinks where cheap booze is drowned out in sugar. People assume women like these drinks, but I honestly don't know many women who do. All the ladies I hang with prefer a French 75 or a Manhattan to a Cosmo or A Cocoa-tini. And don't even get me started on shots named after sex acts. Ugh.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #459 on: November 02, 2015, 06:53:23 PM »
That's because you haven't tried Erica's "girlie" drinks.  She comes up with amazing cocktails that are delicious and strong but not at all silly.  http://www.nwedible.com/topics/cocktails/  My very favorite (so far) is the Gin and Ginger http://www.nwedible.com/the-gin-ginger-cocktail/, but I also really love the Marmalade Old Fashioned http://www.nwedible.com/the-marmalade-old-fashioned/Not that I've tried every single one, but I'm working on it!  :D

I actually like gin and ginger, I will check this out, thanks!

It's good to have goals, lol

NewJourney

« Reply #460 on: November 03, 2015, 07:10:44 AM »
Babies.  Yuck.  Toddlers I get, they do funny stuff sometimes and watching them work out how the world works can be entertaining.  Babies are virtually brain dead fluid and scream factories.  They're like retarded hairless puppies.

Hahaahahahahahaha 😂

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #461 on: November 03, 2015, 08:15:05 AM »
That's because you haven't tried Erica's "girlie" drinks.  She comes up with amazing cocktails that are delicious and strong but not at all silly.  http://www.nwedible.com/topics/cocktails/  My very favorite (so far) is the Gin and Ginger http://www.nwedible.com/the-gin-ginger-cocktail/, but I also really love the Marmalade Old Fashioned http://www.nwedible.com/the-marmalade-old-fashioned/Not that I've tried every single one, but I'm working on it!  :D

I just recently tried this, and it was delicious!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #462 on: November 03, 2015, 08:32:46 AM »
Try a ginger and bourbon. Yum.

Once in college, literally all I had was water (and ice) and really, really bad bourbon. So I started looking around and tried a couple experiments--one that has stuck around is vanilla and bourbon--when I got a mixer, ginger, I tried the three together--it was fantastic.

About 1 pt bourbon, 2 pt ginger ale (I prefer verners), and maybe 1/2 tspn of vanilla.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #463 on: November 04, 2015, 02:59:18 PM »

edit to fix quote tages

In some aras of Europe it was really common until a few decades ago, but is falling out of fashion and it's rare to find it in grocerie stores.

Personal anecdote:
While I was working as receptionist in a hotel in Italy a youg America couple came to me with a menu, and they ask me to explain a few dishes. One of them was indeed a rabbit dish ("coniglio alla cacciatora") and the girl goes:
"Rabbit? Like, a bunny?"
Me: "Yes madam, a bunny stew" 
She looks totally horrified.
Her boyfriend: "And what does it taste like?"
Me: "It's really similar to cat meat" (true fact!)
The look on their face... I thought she was going to cry.

Actually I think rabbit tastes like chicken (dark meat). If you are ever in a Greek restaurant try the rabbit stifado, very delicious fall off the bone recipe.

I've never had squirrel but my husband had on a number of occasions. His grandparents are from West Virginia and when he stayed with them it was on the menu. As gramps would say "there's nothing like squirrel gravy." (as in, it's good!)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:03:27 PM by partgypsy »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #464 on: November 04, 2015, 03:19:53 PM »
Beef liver. There was a period of time in college I became semi-vegetarian, ate meat like once a month, but then became severely anemic. In addition to taking iron was told by both the doctor and the dietician to include some meat every day or a few times a week in diet. When re-acclimating to it, I remember not caring for it, especially the beef liver my parents would make when visiting.

Chicken. I got terrible food poisoning a couple times from chicken and so there were years I avoided chicken. I can eat it now in particular if it is cooked at home, but otherwise the last thing I'd order.     
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:24:06 PM by partgypsy »

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #465 on: November 04, 2015, 03:48:18 PM »
I'll eat just about anything (including those cute little bunnies - slow cooker wth some veggies and red wine. nom. nom .nom) but I have to say that the most foul stupid over produced piece of crap is pumpkin. yes, PUMPKIN.  who the hell thought that would be good to eat? what fiend came up with a marketing plan that went beyond carving crap into them followed by throwing them away.

Disgusting. all you who fell for this are sick puppies.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #466 on: November 04, 2015, 05:10:24 PM »
Weird fact - our babies are all born way too early.  Based on our body size and what our relatives (chimpanzees) do, our gestation period should be 11-12 months.  Of course then the baby's head would be so big the mother would die, every time.  So we make up for our big brains by being born too soon.  So that blob of baby really is a blob, because it shouldn't even be here yet.  Once they get to be a few months old they are ready for the world.

Babies.  Yuck.  Toddlers I get, they do funny stuff sometimes and watching them work out how the world works can be entertaining.  Babies are virtually brain dead fluid and scream factories.  They're like retarded hairless puppies.

Hahaahahahahahaha 😂

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #467 on: November 04, 2015, 09:38:45 PM »

Damn straight!  :D

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #468 on: November 05, 2015, 06:32:18 AM »

I've never had squirrel but my husband had on a number of occasions. His grandparents are from West Virginia and when he stayed with them it was on the menu. As gramps would say "there's nothing like squirrel gravy." (as in, it's good!)

Having coffee on the back deck last weekend I counted five squirrels in the yard at one time, if I were inclined i could eat real well for the price of a used trap on Craigslist.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #469 on: February 10, 2016, 02:56:48 PM »
The art of Frida Kahlo. I've never told anyone that before, she is such an icon for most women but I just don't get it.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #470 on: February 11, 2016, 12:14:56 PM »
Asparagus. I want to like it, just don't.

Beer.

Crossfit craze.

Jewelry.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #471 on: February 11, 2016, 12:35:23 PM »
Chipotle. Tried to like it, but it was just so bland and overly rice-laden (holy crap - staaaap with the rice!!) and boring. I've eaten cardboard that tasted better. I'm silently judging anyone that says that place is in their favorites.

Going to bars. I tried to get into that, but it was just so dull and I can make better drinks at home for way cheaper and not worry about driving home after a few drinks either. I have no idea how people think it enjoyable.

Fancy/expensive shoes and purses. Besides the fact that I would never spend more than $20 for a purse and maybe on a good day $50 for shoes, I think the designer shoes and purses are mostly butt ugly. I hate logo and monogram crap anyway; how stupid do you have to be to pay a premium just to advertise for the designer?

Coffee. I'm a soda (diet) fiend. Can't stand coffee unless it is mostly cream and sugar, and really if I had to go to that extreme, what's the point of drinking it?

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
« Reply #472 on: February 11, 2016, 01:10:01 PM »
Chipotle. Tried to like it, but it was just so bland and overly rice-laden (holy crap - staaaap with the rice!!) and boring. I've eaten cardboard that tasted better. I'm silently judging anyone that says that place is in their favorites.

Going to bars. I tried to get into that, but it was just so dull and I can make better drinks at home for way cheaper and not worry about driving home after a few drinks either. I have no idea how people think it enjoyable.

Fancy/expensive shoes and purses. Besides the fact that I would never spend more than $20 for a purse and maybe on a good day $50 for shoes, I think the designer shoes and purses are mostly butt ugly. I hate logo and monogram crap anyway; how stupid do you have to be to pay a premium just to advertise for the designer?

Coffee. I'm a soda (diet) fiend. Can't stand coffee unless it is mostly cream and sugar, and really if I had to go to that extreme, what's the point of drinking it?

The only thing I dislike about the Chipotle rice is the fact it contains cilantro...I'm not sure why you think it tastes like cardboard, though. Not that it's one of my favorites or anything, but I think the flavor is mostly going to depend on what toppings you put in it. Also, always get the bowl, because that tortilla is almost 500 calories by itself.

Completely agree on your middle two points, though. 100%.

Coffee? Well, for me it was a survival thing, then it was about addiction. I mostly drink tea now, though.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #473 on: February 12, 2016, 09:22:14 AM »

This, omg.

My husband loves making craft cocktails (makes his own tonic water, brews his own ginger beer, etc). I love cooking (I make bread, cheese... Pretty much anything). We recently started a batch of wine (thank you, MMM, for the article about helping Canadians save on wine - it's literally impossible to find wine under 8$/bottle in Quebec, and we can make/bottle it for a half hour of active effort and less than 4$/bottle). We garden. We live in the country.

How to spent a September evening with friends:
Option a) invite people over! Set up a table on the deck with a great view of the lake, bring out a few bottles of wine and/or make sangria, appetizers (crostini with whipped herbed ricotta and roasted zucchini, say), make an amazing ratatouille with some grilled lamb chops (all produced on our land), let the kids run around and play with the dogs/lambs/rabbits (rules: don't injure yourselves or each other, flatten the garden, or scare the chickens), finish off the evening with snacks and wine next to the fire... Total cost: MAYBE 20-25$, assuming food and booze for 6, and you can actually hear each other speak.
Option b) go out. Drive the 30 miles to the nearest city. Pay a babysitter. Wait for a table at the restaurant. Spend about 35$/person on food, plus 10$for a glass of wine or 15$ for a cocktail. Shout to be heard over the music and neighbouring tables (who are also shouting). Maybe go out to a (even louder) bar after; 10$ cocktails are shitty and 18$ cocktails are good but ridiculously priced, wtf. Leave when your ears are numb and your eyes burn from the cigarette smoke. Get home; shower ASAP so that the smoke-smell in your hair doesn't infect your pillow for the next 3 weeks. Total cost per person: easily 100$, plus car use, plus babysitter, for less fun.

Serious question: why bother??

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #474 on: February 12, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »

This, omg.

My husband loves making craft cocktails (makes his own tonic water, brews his own ginger beer, etc). I love cooking (I make bread, cheese... Pretty much anything). We recently started a batch of wine (thank you, MMM, for the article about helping Canadians save on wine - it's literally impossible to find wine under 8$/bottle in Quebec, and we can make/bottle it for a half hour of active effort and less than 4$/bottle). We garden. We live in the country.

Option a) invite people over! Set up a table on the deck with a great view of the lake, bring out a few bottles of wine and/or make sangria, appetizers (crostini with whipped herbed ricotta and roasted zucchini, say), make an amazing ratatouille with some grilled lamb chops (all produced on our land), let the kids run around and play with the dogs/lambs/rabbits (rules: don't injure yourselves or each other, flatten the garden, or scare the chickens), finish off the evening with snacks and wine next to the fire... Total cost: MAYBE 20-25$, assuming food and booze for 6, and you can actually hear each other speak.
Option b) go out. Drive the 30 miles to the nearest city. Pay a babysitter. Wait for a table at the restaurant. Spend about 35$/person on food, plus 10$for a glass of wine or 15$ for a cocktail. Shout to be heard over the music and neighbouring tables (who are also shouting). Maybe go out to a (even louder) bar after; 10$ cocktails are shitty and 18$ cocktails are good but ridiculously priced, wtf. Leave when your ears are numb and your eyes burn from the cigarette smoke. Get home; shower ASAP so that the smoke-smell in your hair doesn't infect your pillow for the next 3 weeks. Total cost per person: easily 100$, plus car use, plus babysitter, for less fun.

Option c): Go to the bar down the street from me, get their PBJ deal (Slice of really good pizza, 16oz. PBR, shot of Jameson) for $6 each, get their craft brew of the day for $3, leave a $1 tip per person ($10 per person, you buy it at the bar), don't worry about the smoke since it is illegal to smoke indoors in a public establishment in Illinois, see your friends who also walked 10-15 minutes from the opposite direction.

I'm not ever going to make the argument that it is cheaper to go out and drink, but I see these numbers ya'll are throwing out and wonder if you've ever looked around to other restaurants/bars. I've never paid more than $10 for a cocktail (using Woodford).

Oh wait, I will make the argument that it is cheaper to go out and drink: On Tuesday nights we can get $3 pitchers of Leine's at a bar by my apartment. Good live music too, depending on the day.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #475 on: February 12, 2016, 10:01:15 AM »

This, omg.

Option c): Go to the bar down the street from me, get their PBJ deal (Slice of really good pizza, 16oz. PBR, shot of Jameson) for $6 each, get their craft brew of the day for $3, leave a $1 tip per person ($10 per person, you buy it at the bar), don't worry about the smoke since it is illegal to smoke indoors in a public establishment in Illinois, see your friends who also walked 10-15 minutes from the opposite direction.

I'm not ever going to make the argument that it is cheaper to go out and drink, but I see these numbers ya'll are throwing out and wonder if you've ever looked around to other restaurants/bars. I've never paid more than $10 for a cocktail (using Woodford).

Oh wait, I will make the argument that it is cheaper to go out and drink: On Tuesday nights we can get $3 pitchers of Leine's at a bar by my apartment. Good live music too, depending on the day.

Ok, to be fair, my numbers are )in CAD (so at the moment, 1$ for me = about 70 cents for you). And a bottle of Woodford costs 48$ around here, last I checked. I have not seen a cocktail under 10$ in a bar in YEARS, and 10$ will get you a (crappy) rum and Coke around here. (And, in my case... I live in the country... I'd REALLY rather not drive 20 minutes to go get a rum and Coke...)

If there was a bar around here that served pizza and a beer for 6$, I'd be all over that, especually if it was decent pizza. However, there are only 2 pizza places within a 30 minute drive: one that's 18$ for a thin-crust pizza that feeds 1, maybe 2 (I can make equally good for less than 5$, in about the time it could take to get there), or one that makes thoroughly mediocre pizza for about 15$ (feeds 3-4). Given that those are my ACTUAL options... I'd rather stay home and cook better for cheaper. Or pay more for better, depending. (Or I could get a 8$ pouting at the local cantine,,which I would still need to drive to, and then I'd get enormous and need new clothes doing that on a regular basis. :))

There are many advantages to where I live, but decent and cheap restaurants are NOT among them.

Fortunately, I hate crowds, so country living suits me. Someone more extroverted might go bonkers, though.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:03:53 AM by Kitsune »

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #476 on: February 12, 2016, 11:22:15 AM »

Option a) invite people over! Set up a table on the deck with a great view of the lake, bring out a few bottles of wine and/or make sangria, appetizers (crostini with whipped herbed ricotta and roasted zucchini, say), make an amazing ratatouille with some grilled lamb chops (all produced on our land),

I'll be right over!!

I like going out, but I'm with you.  I'd rather entertain at my place than go out.   

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #477 on: May 27, 2016, 05:25:36 PM »
Weird fact - our babies are all born way too early.  Based on our body size and what our relatives (chimpanzees) do, our gestation period should be 11-12 months.  Of course then the baby's head would be so big the mother would die, every time.  So we make up for our big brains by being born too soon.  So that blob of baby really is a blob, because it shouldn't even be here yet.  Once they get to be a few months old they are ready for the world.

Hahaahahahahahaha 😂

Actually, this has been shown not to be true. It's not the head size, it's due to metabolism of the mother. We just can't take in/expend enough energy to keep a fetus growing at the rate it should. And when overall human size is taken into account, we actually have large babies. Bigger than gorilla babies, on average.
As someone who has gestated a child, thank the glorious Flying Spaghetti Monster that babies aren't in the womb for longer. Even aside from the discomfort, not being in control of my own emotions or body was a very bizarre experience. That was what forced me to realize how much we are at the mercy of our hormones.
I am not one of those women who gushes about loving every second of being pregnant.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #478 on: May 27, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »
This is one of those topics that evolutionary biologists love to play with.  And of course the overall answer is - given all the factors involved, those who have pregnancies of this length do best and have the most descendants.  But of course that begs the question.

So what are the pressures?
Re head size - the article points out that "Human babies are born underdeveloped compared with other primates: Our brains are less than 30 percent their adult size at birth, compared with around 40 percent for chimpanzees, our closest living ape relative. In fact, it would take a gestation length of 18 to 21 months instead of nine months for human babies' brains to reach that level of development, according to zoologist Adolf Portmann's book "A Zoologist Looks at Humankind" "  So what I remembered totally underestimated how early our babies are.  And for relatives to compare us with, chimpanzees (both species) are by far our closest relatives, so they are the ones we should look at.

Brain size is part of it - young female chimpanzees (i.e. young, not fully developed pelvic girdle) can usually deliver a baby fine if it is term. If it is 2 weeks late, and the baby is just that much bigger, they often die during delivery.  That same baby would not be a problem for an older female.  We see the same thing in our own livestock, farmers debate how early to breed a heifer, and it is often dependent on the breed of bull (how big will that calf be?).  We also see it in dogs - dogs with normal skull shapes have easy deliveries, dogs with flat faces and round skulls often require C-sections.  Um, we have those awkward round skulls, shape matters too.  So when we think of head size we should be thinking of first pregnancy, and age and level of development at first pregnancy.

Metabolism - sure food supply will be limiting.  So is space.  We know twins are normally born earlier than singletons.

Other factors, off the top of my head - predation - how mobile is the mother, and how much protection does she get from her group?  Even if she can have a bigger baby, it doesn't do much good if she gets eaten first.  Parasite load - how is her food intake given that she is feeding herself, her baby, and her parasites (internal and external, biting flies and fleas/lice can take a lot of blood when they are numerous)?

Trade-offs - the last few weeks of pregnancy the fetus is not growing that fast compared to earlier, it is putting on fat to survive the first few days post-partum (mother has to get milk flow going, colostrum is not that nourishing, etc., she is probably not eating well those first few days).  Early babies are scrawny.  A bigger baby would need that much more protective fat, and that is more demand on the mother.

Not really arguing with the article, its just that in Evolutionary Biology there are usually so many factors that "this is the cause of whatever" is leaving out all the other factors - yes, it's a messy historical science.

And hormones, oh my, you look at your baby with love, and wonder how much of it is your brain's oxytocin making sure you love this baby and your genes get passed on (because you are the daughter of a long line of mothers whose oxytocin made them good loving mothers).  We are all puppets!

Actually, this has been shown not to be true. It's not the head size, it's due to metabolism of the mother. We just can't take in/expend enough energy to keep a fetus growing at the rate it should. And when overall human size is taken into account, we actually have large babies. Bigger than gorilla babies, on average.
As someone who has gestated a child, thank the glorious Flying Spaghetti Monster that babies aren't in the womb for longer. Even aside from the discomfort, not being in control of my own emotions or body was a very bizarre experience. That was what forced me to realize how much we are at the mercy of our hormones.
I am not one of those women who gushes about loving every second of being pregnant.

FunkyChopstick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #479 on: May 27, 2016, 06:08:43 PM »
For shiggles, things I should like but loathe:

- Big Bag Theory. Intelligence isn't comical. Lack of intelligence is.

- Group partying. I hate tail gating, clubs, concerts.

-Pools during the summer. I don't want a chlorine bath with strangers in lycra. Thanks, no thanks.

- Ditto for any of shores on the east coast. The Jersey shore is basically Philly's dirty diaper. People *love* it and I can't wrap my mind around it.

- I hate people that like Christmas too. Sheep.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #480 on: May 27, 2016, 06:14:43 PM »
I thought I was the only one. Even my intelligent friends like it, think I should like it, and I don't.

For shiggles, things I should like but loathe:

- Big Bag Theory. Intelligence isn't comical. Lack of intelligence is.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #481 on: May 27, 2016, 07:38:10 PM »
I love it but my partner hates it and has re-baptized it Big Dork Theory.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #482 on: May 28, 2016, 05:38:21 PM »
Ah, but it isn't there academic intelligence that is comical (although they do use it for some puns), it is their ignorance about 'normal' people, typical life experiences (other than being bullied in school) and social graces (emotional intelligence) and the hijinks that ensue because of that. Sheldon is the extreme example re: lack of emotional intelligence. Basically they are outsiders who want to get in to the normative life (except Sheldon, who wants to be average?). That's my view.
I like it, the actors are good, I think they make a good troupe, at least some of the jokes are different than the usual tropes...
I liked Community - again good combination of actors, decent writing, but interesting approaches to the presentation for certain episodes (clay-motion, etc.)

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #483 on: May 29, 2016, 05:40:57 PM »
The Beatles. I am not from their generation but there was a resurgance when the greatest hits were released.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #484 on: May 29, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »
People. Crowds. Ugh.

There's a reason I live in the middle of nowhere.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #485 on: May 30, 2016, 06:54:44 AM »
Asparagus. I want to like it, just don't.

Drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.  Oven roast on high heat for about ten minutes until the tips of the asparagus are blackening and crusty to the touch, and the stalk is softened up.  Then sprinkle a bit of lemon juice on them and eat.

If you don't like them this way, you'll never enjoy them  . . .  so just cross 'em off your list forever.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #486 on: May 30, 2016, 07:06:18 AM »
Avocados. Seriously people, WHY?

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #487 on: May 30, 2016, 07:34:13 AM »
Oysters.
I want to eat them.  I like the way they smell, and they look good, so I am always tempted to try again when I'm around them.

Pop one into my mouth, and it tastes wonderful.  Then I can't swallow.  Just can't. After fifty years of trying I should have learned.  Awkward.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #488 on: May 30, 2016, 10:46:23 AM »
Fried chicken (remember I'm a Southerner). Barbecue (ditto). I don't like mushroom, either, but that's because fungus is not food.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #489 on: May 30, 2016, 10:47:47 AM »
Fried chicken (remember I'm a Southerner). Barbecue (ditto). I don't like mushroom, either, but that's because fungus is not food.

....what do you EAT then? The summer I lived with my uncle in Mississippi, I'm pretty sure that's ALL they ate!

(I also do not like mushrooms). Curious- is the chicken and bbq thing a texture thing? A taste thing? A grease thing? Just wondering =)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #490 on: May 30, 2016, 11:29:53 AM »

....what do you EAT then? The summer I lived with my uncle in Mississippi, I'm pretty sure that's ALL they ate!

(I also do not like mushrooms). Curious- is the chicken and bbq thing a texture thing? A taste thing? A grease thing? Just wondering =)

Grease and bone with the chicken, grease and taste with the bbq. I will eat my own pulled chicken bbq - I remove the fatty bits and I don't use any sauce with artificial smoke flavor, which I can't abide (Actual smoked meat is tolerable in smaller doses). I pretty much don't eat pork, but I generally also won't eat other people's beef bbq. Other people's pulled chicken bbq is hit or miss depending on the sauce.

As for what I eat? Easy - beans and greens and cornbread, supplemented with okra, hominy, and squash casserole. (Also as much Thai food as I can find or cook, plus many other non-Southern foods). Oh, and venison.

Pork that is used to flavor beans or crowder peas doesn't count (neither does bacon). It's the same principle that makes your own birthday cake calorie-free, you know.

Editing to add I've just realized I don't like squirrel for the same reasons as fried chicken. I think grease is a big deal for me - probably one reason I do like venison so much.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:32:38 AM by Rural »

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #491 on: May 30, 2016, 11:44:15 AM »
I'm desperately trying to recall any instance of sexism or homophobia from the book.  Could you elaborate on that a bit?

The main character likes to make jokes about boobs and there's at least one gay joke. I don't know that I'd say the book contained blatant homophobia or sexism, but there are a lot of moments in the book where I wondered if Watney was actually a 13 year old boy.

I liked the book, but there were moments where I wondered why they didn't just leave Watney in space for being insufferably immature.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #492 on: May 30, 2016, 12:10:50 PM »

Grease and bone with the chicken, grease and taste with the bbq. I will eat my own pulled chicken bbq - I remove the fatty bits and I don't use any sauce with artificial smoke flavor, which I can't abide (Actual smoked meat is tolerable in smaller doses). I pretty much don't eat pork, but I generally also won't eat other people's beef bbq. Other people's pulled chicken bbq is hit or miss depending on the sauce.

As for what I eat? Easy - beans and greens and cornbread, supplemented with okra, hominy, and squash casserole. (Also as much Thai food as I can find or cook, plus many other non-Southern foods). Oh, and venison.

Pork that is used to flavor beans or crowder peas doesn't count (neither does bacon). It's the same principle that makes your own birthday cake calorie-free, you know.

Editing to add I've just realized I don't like squirrel for the same reasons as fried chicken. I think grease is a big deal for me - probably one reason I do like venison so much.

I love how much of a distinct cuisine southern food is =) We just don't have a cohesive food culture like that up here.

It's funny, I'm actually with you on the grease a lot of times. I like *our* fried chicken and BBQ, because we usually make it fairly non-greasy. I don't mind the bones. But I also don't like greasy meats- squirrel, beaver, grain fed beef, extra fatty pork... I'm not a fan. I also grew up on venison and elk, so I think I'm just used to lean game. I do like grass fed beef now, it's a lot less greasy overall.

Which is funny, because I LOVE hollandaise and butter and gravy and... so clearly fatty is not the issue, just the nebulous "greasy". And yet I don't mind pizza grease? Okay, I officially don't understand myself.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #493 on: May 30, 2016, 08:12:49 PM »

I love how much of a distinct cuisine southern food is =) We just don't have a cohesive food culture like that up here.

It's funny, I'm actually with you on the grease a lot of times. I like *our* fried chicken and BBQ, because we usually make it fairly non-greasy. I don't mind the bones. But I also don't like greasy meats- squirrel, beaver, grain fed beef, extra fatty pork... I'm not a fan. I also grew up on venison and elk, so I think I'm just used to lean game. I do like grass fed beef now, it's a lot less greasy overall.

Which is funny, because I LOVE hollandaise and butter and gravy and... so clearly fatty is not the issue, just the nebulous "greasy". And yet I don't mind pizza grease? Okay, I officially don't understand myself.

I'm with you on the pizza grease, within limits. I've never had hollandaise sauce to my knowledge, and I'll risk permanent revocation of my Southern card and admit I don't like gravy either, though I've eaten a lot of it.

In fact, I will and have eaten any and all of these things - part of the reason for the cohesive food culture is that all of these are foods that are cheap and easily grown down here, plus several are easily stored over a long winter. I've definitely been in a place where I ate what I had and was glad to have it - biscuits and gravy come to mind. Nothing but a way to turn flour and leftover grease into food, that, and there have been times when I was thrilled to have the grease.

ETA I've just realized we've invented greasy foam here.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 08:14:34 PM by Rural »

SaskyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #494 on: May 30, 2016, 08:42:12 PM »
Plain Bacon. I like it on and in things, but if it's more than 20% of any dish, I'm not a huge fan.

Inception and Interstellar. Everything points to me loving these two movies, but I don't.

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #495 on: June 22, 2016, 01:38:19 PM »
Pumpkin-flavoured stuff. I love baked pumpkin / pumpkin soup, but seriously, who puts pumpkin in their coffee?!

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #496 on: June 22, 2016, 10:00:02 PM »
Pumpkin-flavoured stuff. I love baked pumpkin / pumpkin soup, but seriously, who puts pumpkin in their coffee?!

People who like disgusting flavors in perfectly fine-on-their-own things like coffee?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #497 on: July 28, 2016, 09:25:43 AM »
I don't like coffee.  It seriously has inhibited my professional and social lives.  Yes, I can and do substitute tea or diet coke, but it's like people don't trust me. 

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #498 on: July 28, 2016, 10:30:58 AM »
I don't like coffee.  It seriously has inhibited my professional and social lives.  Yes, I can and do substitute tea or diet coke, but it's like people don't trust me.

I don't like chocolate. I've noticed similar distrust and huffy incredulity. It's almost like my aversion makes them angry.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #499 on: July 28, 2016, 12:02:47 PM »
I like people like you Meepsy. It means there's more chocolate for me :)