Author Topic: Things You Should Like, But Just Don't  (Read 128951 times)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
Re: Things You Should Like, But Just Don't
« Reply #250 on: August 28, 2015, 02:53:44 PM »
I don't.... Guys, I just don't like bathing. The process. And being wet while drying off. And having to stand on the bathmats. And when the shower curtain touches me. Ugh.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #251 on: August 28, 2015, 03:01:57 PM »

Fair enough. I thought that "should" had a fairly specific meaning when used in this manner. Namely....

"used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions."

It can also be used as a suggestion as in "you should eat more broccoli," but even if that were the way "should" was used in this instance, you still should be happy with bear markets as an accumulator.

I have never seen "should" defined as "what people generally like" and am surprised that you have.

I think the first post of the thread explains what we are responding to. We are not using dictionary definitions here.

Is there an "obligation, duty, or correctness" involved with liking Amy Schumer? Fantasy novels? Or Okra? These all seemed to be matters of opinion or things that some/many people liked but that the posters did not.

In my reading the OP felt she "should" like Amy Shumer because so many friends whom she respected with similar sensibilities and tastes liked Amy Shumer. This falls neatly under the "correctness" definition in my book.

If you disagree with the dictionary definition of "should" cited, feel free to provide an alternate definition that fits in with your understanding of the word.

Pointing out that others use "should" incorrectly is less than convincing.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #252 on: August 28, 2015, 04:22:09 PM »
By all evidence of my politics, peers, general tolerance for smut and shock - I should adore this comedian ... everyone's talking about....

So then my FB peeps tell me she has a TV show, and that's what I need to watch. ...

People I really respect, and whose tastes typically run parallel to my own, tell me this woman is a comedic genius, f-ing hilarious, pushing social boundaries, etc. - so I *should* love her comedy....

I thought Erica/NWEdible was clear about the kinds of things that made her feel that she "should" enjoy this comedian. I think we have all been responding accordingly by naming the things we feel we "should" like, for whatever reason. I generally like oatmeal in other contexts, I generally like food that is good for me, I would like to enjoy oatmeal, my friends like oatmeal for breakfast, so I think I "should" like oatmeal. It is a fun thread and doesn't need to overanalyzed.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #253 on: August 28, 2015, 04:46:52 PM »

Fair enough. I thought that "should" had a fairly specific meaning when used in this manner. Namely....

"used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions."

It can also be used as a suggestion as in "you should eat more broccoli," but even if that were the way "should" was used in this instance, you still should be happy with bear markets as an accumulator.

I have never seen "should" defined as "what people generally like" and am surprised that you have.

I think the first post of the thread explains what we are responding to. We are not using dictionary definitions here.

Is there an "obligation, duty, or correctness" involved with liking Amy Schumer? Fantasy novels? Or Okra? These all seemed to be matters of opinion or things that some/many people liked but that the posters did not.

In my reading the OP felt she "should" like Amy Shumer because so many friends whom she respected with similar sensibilities and tastes liked Amy Shumer. This falls neatly under the "correctness" definition in my book.

If you disagree with the dictionary definition of "should" cited, feel free to provide an alternate definition that fits in with your understanding of the word.

I "should" like it when the market goes up like that because it means my NW increases by as much as 6 months of my after tax salary. But I got upset instead.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #254 on: August 28, 2015, 05:00:52 PM »
"You "shouldn't" humble-brag about your basic understanding about how the stock market actually works," would be a cleaner example of the proper use of "should" and "shouldn't."

Got it?

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #255 on: August 28, 2015, 05:14:07 PM »
Semantics is the reason I titled the other thread differently :)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #256 on: August 28, 2015, 06:57:17 PM »
I don't.... Guys, I just don't like bathing. The process. And being wet while drying off. And having to stand on the bathmats. And when the shower curtain touches me. Ugh.
I hate having wet hair.  Especially when going to bed or heading off to work, and as previously stated I hate loud noises of any kind so a hair dryer is just not an option.  Besides, my hair is super fine and the hair dryer damages it very easily.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #257 on: August 28, 2015, 08:22:19 PM »
I hate having wet hair.  Especially when going to bed or heading off to work, and as previously stated I hate loud noises of any kind so a hair dryer is just not an option.  Besides, my hair is super fine and the hair dryer damages it very easily.

Currently have wet hair. Hate having wet hair. I just have too much of it.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #258 on: August 28, 2015, 08:28:57 PM »
Cilantro
Kale
Strawberries
Chocolate Ice Cream
Beer
Peaches
Oysters

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #259 on: August 28, 2015, 08:30:12 PM »
The Dalai Lama. Friends send me his quotes / "wisdom" all the time. I find him incredibly arrogant. This is not a popular opinion.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #260 on: August 28, 2015, 08:38:55 PM »

The Dalai Lama. Friends send me his quotes / "wisdom" all the time. I find him incredibly arrogant. This is not a popular opinion.

I don't agree, but I love this one. Juicy!

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #261 on: August 28, 2015, 11:08:16 PM »
Huh, she makes me cry laughing. Especially this one: https://youtu.be/G9JmCHmH35k
If that one doesn't make you laugh, then yes, you def don't like her stuff

Chuckle at god saying, "I need to stop making so many white girls."

Otherwise - nada.

Finally got around to checking her out and started with this link. I laughed exactly once in exactly that place. Oh well, we all like different things.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: August 29, 2015, 06:54:07 AM »

You mean like the SECOND FUCKING DEFINITION about something being probable?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:59:28 AM by sheepstache »

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #263 on: August 29, 2015, 11:14:18 AM »

I have no idea what point you are trying to make here, that definition has nothing to do with the way Forummm used "should".

And a second stylistic point all caps and needless cursing adjectives tend to make an author appear unintelligent and unhinged.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #264 on: August 29, 2015, 05:30:17 PM »

I have no idea what point you are trying to make here, that definition has nothing to do with the way Forummm used "should".

And a second stylistic point all caps and needless cursing adjectives tend to make an author appear unintelligent and unhinged.

It's probable that people like things that their friends like. What the OP wrote:

"By all evidence of my politics, peers, general tolerance for smut and shock - I should adore this comedian Amy Schumer everyone's talking about."

^This is clearly not the "correctness" definition. She's not saying she has a duty to like Amy Schumer, just that it seems likely she would. And again:

"People I really respect, and whose tastes typically run parallel to my own, tell me this woman is a comedic genius, f-ing hilarious, pushing social boundaries, etc. - so I *should* love her comedy"

"correctness" definition: Things that shouldn't bother me because it would be pedantic: People ignoring all but the first definition of a word to make the case that someone is using it wrong.

"likely" definition: Things that should bother me because I am in fact pedantic: People ignoring all but the first definition of a word to make the case that someone is using it wrong.

As for forummm's post, if x applies to most people it's a fair use of the word "should" to say that it should apply to a given person. E.g., "As someone of Irish descent, you shouldn't tan well, but you do." Most people are happy when the market goes back up, forummm is not. While his opinion is correct, it is not the generally expected view. So you could say he should or shouldn't feel that way depending on which definition you're using, but it's pretty obvious which he means given the context of a thread full of people saying things like "I don't like chocolate" which they should because fucking everybody loves chocolate it's magical.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #265 on: August 29, 2015, 06:04:24 PM »
The longer your post, the more the more suspect your logic.

You are making points that I have already made about the OP's (correct) use of "should," as opposed to Forummm's incorrect use. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 08:43:39 PM by milesdividendmd »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #266 on: August 29, 2015, 06:07:22 PM »
Back on topic, anyone?

Running. I feel like I should LOVE it, especially when runners talk about the high and the freedom.

Instead, it's just horrible.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: August 29, 2015, 06:09:11 PM »
Knitting. In my hipster millenial city, I really should love knitting. But tiny crafts just make me lose my patience usually. I don't have the hand-eye coordination I think.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2015, 06:10:57 PM »
Knitting. In my hipster millenial city, I really should love knitting. But tiny crafts just make me lose my patience usually. I don't have the hand-eye coordination I think.

Me too! I can't make it work at all. Crochet, on the other hand, I find easy and enjoyable.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2015, 06:31:46 PM »

I will expand this to crafting in general, I think. Scrapbooking party? No thanks.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2015, 07:23:09 PM »
You are making points that I have already made about the OP's (correct) use of "should,"
You mean...the part where I blatantly said your interpretation of the OP's usage was off?

Someone else mentioned that they should like chocolate. Unless you think there's some "correctness" of why they ought to like chocolate, it's clearly just because chocolate is something people generally like. You wanted a definition that would cover "what people generally like", I gave the dictionary definition of "used to indicate what is probable."

I think maybe you are arguing based on the fact that forummm identified himself as being an accumulator, that is, a group that should (correctly and as expected) like it when the market is down. Fair enough. But obviously, in the context of this thread, and from his first response to you, he was talking about the fact that the common opinion among the general population is that it's good when it goes up and counterintuitive to dislike it. If you want to keep claiming that he was wrong because his first phrasing could be interpreted differently even though he's cleared up what he meant, then I guess I must bow out and hand over the Crotchety Pedant crown to you for now.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2015, 07:59:06 PM »
If you want to keep claiming that he was wrong because his first phrasing could be interpreted differently even though he's cleared up what he meant, then I guess I must bow out and hand over the Crotchety Pedant crown to you for now.

Hate to break it to you but the good doctor had a lock on that crown from the moment he instigated this asinine debate.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2015, 08:51:25 PM »
If you want to keep claiming that he was wrong because his first phrasing could be interpreted differently even though he's cleared up what he meant, then I guess I must bow out and hand over the Crotchety Pedant crown to you for now.

Hate to break it to you but the good doctor had a lock on that crown from the moment he instigated this asinine debate.

And how do you feel about crafting.

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2015, 08:52:19 PM »
If you're interested in learning the traditional use of "should" (and related words), you need to read the relevant chapter of Fowler's The King's English (1908), namely "Shall and Will". "Should" and "would" are the conditional forms of "shall" and "will", respectively. The sentence "I should adore this comedian" is essentially an abbreviated version of "I should adore this comedian if something were true which is not true, such as that I were similar to other persons".

Miles isn't exactly wrong about "should" being related to duty, because it's a conjugation of "shall". However, "should" is the conditional form and so "I should do X" doesn't mean that I have a duty to do X; it means that the duty for me to do X exists if and only if some unstated condition is satisfied. The condition can be explicitly stated, but in this topic we can infer that the condition is basically "if I were similar to other persons".

As Fowler puts it, "[w]e do not ordinarily issue commands to ourselves", although if we wanted to, the traditionally correct way is "I shall", not "I should". The difference between "I will" and "I shall" is that "I will" is a statement of my current will (it means "it is my will"); whereas "I shall" means I am ordering myself to do something that is not otherwise willed by me. "I should" is different from either and expresses a conditionally contemplated duty, possibly without the condition being explicitly stated.

When Gandalf said "you shall not pass", he was not making a prediction about whether the Balrog would be able to pass; rather, he was ordering the Balrog not to attempt to pass. If Gandalf had said "you should not pass", he would have been issuing a conditional command to the Balrog, essentially saying "if you know what's good for you, do not attempt to pass". If Gandalf had said that, "you will not pass", he would be expressing a wish that the Balrog not pass, or alternatively, he would be making a prediction that the Balrog would in fact not pass.

Approximately no one follows these traditional rules anymore (not even me), but it's still useful to understand them. In present-day English, these words have kind of all blurred together and the speaker's intent just has to be inferred from the context.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:13:03 PM by Cathy »

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: August 29, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »

Well damn it, now I have to hand over the pithy remarks crown to you.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #275 on: August 29, 2015, 09:39:53 PM »
Running. I feel like I should LOVE it, especially when runners talk about the high and the freedom.

Luckily my current social circles of anti-exercise nerds totally agree with me that hard exercise just hurts and makes you feel nauseous (I strongly suspect that the so-called runner's high only occurs for a small subsection for the population and the rest of us have brains/bodies that are wired differently). But in a former life, for some reason one of my main social circles were all exercise freaks. As in, ultra-long distance runners or cyclists (eg races that last one or more days). Ugh. So. Many. Boring. Conversations. I do *not* care about bikes enough to discuss them for hours at a time. <3 my anti-exercise nerds (well, most of us exercise to some degree but it's more because we should for health reasons, not because any of us actually enjoy it).

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #276 on: August 31, 2015, 09:57:07 AM »
Let's keep on topic. This can be a valuable thread, and I don't want to have to lock it because of the off-topic "debate" going on.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #277 on: August 31, 2015, 12:02:22 PM »
OK here goes nothing:

1) Eggs:  I want to like them because they are a cheap inexpensive source of protein.  I try them every few years and blech.  Disgusting.
2) Sports:  This one is rough.  I live near Boston which is like sports town central.  It is all everyone at work talks about.  I lived in fear that my kids would take up a sport and I would be forced to attend games.  Luckily, although I had them try several things, nothing stuck.  They are music/art nerds like me. 
3) Jerry Seinfeld:  I find him creepy.  He doesn't blink enough.  His voice annoys me.  I found his presence my least favorite part of the TV show. 
4) Concerts or other crowded gatherings:  I would rather stay home and listen to music.
5) Shows that everyone else likes:  Big Bang Theory, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad.  BB was okay, but it just seemed to drag on and on.  I tried watching it, quit in the middle of season 2, and then watched the finale and felt like I didn't miss anything. 
6) Anime:  My husband and daughter are obsessed with Anime.  It seems like something I should like, but I just can't get into it. 
7) Most girly fashions:  I think high heeled shoes are ridiculous.  Skirts are uncomfortable and restrict your movement.  Same with super long finger nails.  Why are so many women's fashions designed to hobble them? 
8) Weddings and funerals:  Take me to the JP and throw my ashes in the ocean. 

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #278 on: August 31, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »

7) Most girly fashions:  I think high heeled shoes are ridiculous.  Skirts are uncomfortable and restrict your movement.  Same with super long finger nails.  Why are so many women's fashions designed to hobble them?

I think you really answered your own question....

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #279 on: August 31, 2015, 12:39:16 PM »

I think you really answered your own question....

100% agree. Nothing hotter than limited mobility.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #280 on: August 31, 2015, 12:40:36 PM »

I don't know... as a very sweaty dude, I've often dreamed of the freedom of a skirt during the hot hot summers at the office when I'm wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts.  Just sayin'.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #281 on: August 31, 2015, 12:43:53 PM »

I don't know... as a very sweaty dude, I've often dreamed of the freedom of a skirt during the hot hot summers at the office when I'm wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts.  Just sayin'.

Kilts! Some skirts physically restrict your movement, others functionally restrict your movement or you risk overexposure...

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #282 on: August 31, 2015, 12:46:42 PM »
Sandals (on me), shorts (on me), expensive Scotch, French toast, and The Beatles.  (I usually have to duck when I say that last one.)

That said, I do like:

Bare feet, bathing suits, beer, pancakes/waffles, and the Monkees.

Go figure.  ...People don't make sense.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #283 on: August 31, 2015, 12:55:07 PM »

I don't think it's fair that women can wear pants but men can't wear skirts. Seriously. As long as men are given a hard time about things that are considered traditionally "womanly" we won't have full equality. Basically it's okay for women to do/wear manly things, cause "men are better". But the reverse is not acceptable. /rant

But off my soapbox, I actually have been enjoying wearing skirts more, but not the restrictive ones. They are nice in the summer.

Lizzy B.

• Stubble
« Reply #284 on: August 31, 2015, 01:08:56 PM »
Back on topic, anyone?

I totally hear you on the running thing. I used to be a cross-country runner in high school and college. Now, without a coach or team members to talk with, I hate it. So much boring, so much pain. I should like it, but just can't.

Another one for me is opera. I played/play classically and love symphonies and musicals, but every time I see an opera, I just get frustrated at how long it takes a character to sing a simple line of dialogue. Good thing opera tickets aren't exactly mustachian. :-)

Also dark chocolate. I know it's better for me than milk, has less sugar and more chocolate goodness, but I just taste bitter.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #285 on: August 31, 2015, 01:27:42 PM »
I don't think it's fair that women can wear pants but men can't wear skirts. Seriously. As long as men are given a hard time about things that are considered traditionally "womanly" we won't have full equality. Basically it's okay for women to do/wear manly things, cause "men are better". But the reverse is not acceptable. /rant

Saw a man in Edmonton this week wearing a kilt and a T-shirt that said No Peeking.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #286 on: August 31, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »

Saw a man in Edmonton this week wearing a kilt and a T-shirt that said No Peeking.

Hilarious! No photo?

Apparently men in skirts show up on the catwalks. I think this is 2012, but happened again in 2015 -
[url]http://www.gq.com/gallery/fashion-week-spring-2012-trends-mens-skirts[url]

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 06:15:15 PM by G-dog »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #287 on: August 31, 2015, 03:10:19 PM »
I went to a wedding in Norway last month. It was an international affair, and guests were invited to wear the traditional attire of their home countries. One of the attendees was Scottish, so of course he wore a kilt. It made me really wish I was Scottish and could pull that one off...

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #288 on: August 31, 2015, 03:50:11 PM »
Gosh, what would US traditional attire look like? Bib overalls? Jeans and cowboy boots? NFL jerseys?

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #289 on: August 31, 2015, 04:36:47 PM »
Gosh, what would US traditional attire look like? Bib overalls? Jeans and cowboy boots? NFL jerseys?
Talking strictly perceived stereotypes- anything with an American flag on it (bonus points if it's obnoxious), 'cuz 'Murrca ;)

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #290 on: August 31, 2015, 07:02:33 PM »
Talking strictly perceived stereotypes- anything with an American flag on it (bonus points if it's obnoxious), 'cuz 'Murrca ;)

OMG, that's so true. That plus college shirts. We had some big international soccer thing this summer (can you tell I don't follow sports at all?) and there were all these American tourists wandering around one of our touristy attractions, and there was so much red/white/blue attire. And shirts with Minnesota or some US college. I don't go to the US and wear a maple leaf or a Manitoba shirt. I figure the Canadian super-pale complexion is enough.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #291 on: August 31, 2015, 07:22:52 PM »
I hated skirts and dresses for most of my life, but just in the last couple years I've come to embrace them. Abdominal surgery with stitches at three different heights won me over. There was no comfortable height for a waistband on pants to rest on my stomach. Now I love dresses around the house, but still get annoyed at the whole no pockets thing at work.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #292 on: September 01, 2015, 05:54:03 AM »

OMG, that's so true. That plus college shirts. We had some big international soccer thing this summer (can you tell I don't follow sports at all?) and there were all these American tourists wandering around one of our touristy attractions, and there was so much red/white/blue attire. And shirts with Minnesota or some US college. I don't go to the US and wear a maple leaf or a Manitoba shirt. I figure the Canadian super-pale complexion is enough.

A healthy Canadian should emit a distinctly bright glow under proper lighting.  :P

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2015, 06:26:14 AM »
A healthy Canadian should emit a distinctly bright glow under proper lighting.  :P

I know you probably didn't mean it this way, but I'm going to call you on it because sometimes being confronted leads to learning about the hidden assumptions in our own minds.  Right now you're implying that only white people can be Canadian.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #294 on: September 01, 2015, 06:27:15 AM »

Well, I'm from the South, so I wore a seersucker coat and a pink tie. The Norwegian wedding attire was pretty posh, though:

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #295 on: September 01, 2015, 06:49:51 AM »

I know you probably didn't mean it this way, but I'm going to call you on it because sometimes being confronted leads to learning about the hidden assumptions in our own minds.  Right now you're implying that only white people can be Canadian.

At worst it was implying that black people can't be healthy Canadians.  I've seen pallid Indian, Chinese, Latin, and Aboriginal people.  That said, I will apologize for anyone offended by my purity of pastiness doctrine, and will attempt to deride all the races of Canada equally henceforth.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: September 01, 2015, 07:08:24 AM »

I will expand this to crafting in general, I think. Scrapbooking party? No thanks.

Oh, holy shit, am I with you there. Every time I hear someone talk about scrapbooking, it takes all I have in me not to audibly snort in disdain.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: September 01, 2015, 08:38:36 AM »

Oh, holy shit, am I with you there. Every time I hear someone talk about scrapbooking, it takes all I have in me not to audibly snort in disdain.

Do people even scrapbook anymore? Its heyday seemed to be in the 1990s. What was the company? Something like Creative Memories? I haven't heard of them for a while. I remembered being invited to scrapbooking parties.

Now all the MLMs are more about essential oils, nail wraps, etc.

Funny story  - I was just invited to an ADULT COLORING PARTY. Apparently that's the new thing. And, no, it's not about coloring bodies or anything salacious. It's just a bunch of adults drinking wine and coloring. $10 entrance fee. No, thanks. I'll color at home with my kids for free.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #298 on: September 01, 2015, 08:54:30 AM »
I should really like being outside. I like nature photos, I like experiencing new places, but I hate being sweaty and gross and gamey and oily. I love the thought of camping but in execution it has not been a fun experience.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #299 on: September 01, 2015, 09:23:17 AM »
I love the thought of camping but in execution it has not been a fun experience.

With you 100%.  Love being outside, love doing stuff outside, but when I'm done, I want to go inside, take a shower if needed, and sleep in my nice bed at an agreeable temperature.  I also find there's a big case of "okay, now what?" with camping.  You go to a site, you set up the tent, you get your gear out, and then...?   I can sit and drink beer and cook over fire and enjoy a campfire on my patio using my charcoal grill and firepit, I don't need to sleep outside in a tent to enjoy those things. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!