Author Topic: Things You Should Like, But Just Don't  (Read 128953 times)

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Things You Should Like, But Just Don't
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2015, 03:56:41 PM »
Mushrooms
Cats
Televisions on anywhere public...the gym, my college (playing a loop), restaurants, doctors' waiting rooms, even the juror assembly room at the courthouse

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2015, 04:05:51 PM »
My addition to this list? Mayonnaise. Why the f*** does every f***ing sandwich I order come smothered with this disgusting s***? If I could go back in time and strangle the first f***er who decided that mixing an egg white yolk with oil would result in anything other than an offensive gelatinous goop, I would do it right now.

In the spirit of "know thy enemy" it's an acid-oil emulsion bound with egg yolk. Whole egg sometimes, but yolk always. 

I love real, homemade mayo. I'll take yours. :)

Isn't Amy Schumer an admitted rapist? So it's probably a good thing you don't like her.
Wait...wha? For real?

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2015, 04:28:16 PM »
What's the difference between a bachelorette party and a bridal shower?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2015, 04:48:50 PM »

Painting with broad strokes: A bridal shower is a party in the afternoon, typically with female friends and relatives, at someone's house, where the attendees give the bride gifts.  Often silly, irritating games are played, and supposedly hilarious sexual innuendos are peppered throughout the event.

A bachelorette party is the bride and her bridesmaids and possibly other women of that general age, absent mothers of the bride and groom.  Generally, this happens in the evening, involves one or more bars, alcohol, and quite possibly vomiting and/or decisions one will likely regret later.

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2015, 04:52:42 PM »
Kale

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »
I'll start.

By all evidence of my politics, peers, general tolerance for smut and shock - I should adore this comedian Amy Schumer everyone's talking about. So I finally sat down yesterday, sought out some of her stand-up on YouTube, watched a half-hour and didn't laugh once. Huh. That's odd.

So then my FB peeps tell me she has a TV show, and that's what I need to watch. Another 30 minutes spent watching clips from TV show. Maybe a few half-hearted chuckles, but at no point am I actually laughing. So at this point I've spent an hour of my life trying to find Amy Schumer's comedy funny, but I just don't, so I give up.

People I really respect, and whose tastes typically run parallel to my own, tell me this woman is a comedic genius, f-ing hilarious, pushing social boundaries, etc. - so I *should* love her comedy, but...meh. I just don't.

Isn't Amy Schumer an admitted rapist? So it's probably a good thing you don't like her.

Ummmm, no.

"Thought Catalog – which seems to be rapidly becoming the go-to site for terrible antifeminist posts – is making a bit of a stir on Reddit with a post bearing the deliberately provocative title “Wait A Second, Did Amy Schumer Rape a Guy?” Spoiler Alert: The anonymous author concludes that yes, she did. The anonymous author is full of shit."

read more: http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2014/05/07/no-amy-schumer-did-not-give-a-speech-celebrating-how-she-raped-a-guy/

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2015, 04:54:48 PM »
Wait...wha? For real?

I've heard her accused of being a racist, not a rapist.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2015, 04:55:06 PM »
Kale
You shouldn't like kale, but you should eat it anyway. Sorry.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2015, 04:55:50 PM »
Cheese.

I don't hate it. I just kind of don't get it.

NCGal

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
Beer
Egg nog
Live opera performances
A day at the beach (except for vacations)
Movies with subtitles
4th of July and New Year's Eve festivities

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2015, 06:51:55 PM »
Camping.

Our ancestors camped, and the reason we have modern conveniences is that they hated it and found ways to make life better. As one comedian said: "Why do I want to work all week for nice things and then on the weekend pretend that I'm homeless?"

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2015, 07:14:27 PM »
Cheese.

Oh man, will you please for the love of mercy trade with me? I'm viciously allergic* to milk products, and I miss cheese soooo muuuuuch. I'll give all the good stuff my mom packed in my lunch, I swear. Just trade me your cheese indifference!

*Yes, allergic to the casein molecule. No, not intolerant of the lactose molecule. Holding strong with butter, tho. Mmmm, butter.

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2015, 07:37:16 PM »
I didn't have any feelings on Amy Schumer one way or another until all of these clips happened in the post. I really don't find her funny in the slightest.

I also don't like the show "Scrubs," and this makes me a monster around the people I know.

I don't like GoT or Breaking Bad or Girls, either.

I should not love Con Air, but I do.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:50:25 PM by bloomability »

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2015, 08:07:59 PM »
Cheese.

Oh man, will you please for the love of mercy trade with me? I'm viciously allergic* to milk products, and I miss cheese soooo muuuuuch. I'll give all the good stuff my mom packed in my lunch, I swear. Just trade me your cheese indifference!

*Yes, allergic to the casein molecule. No, not intolerant of the lactose molecule. Holding strong with butter, tho. Mmmm, butter.

Sure. I'll throw in straight milk too.

Being told that I would invariably get osteoporosis unless I spent my adolescence choking down cheese, milk, and yogurt, made for a hard adolescence. Until my parents started buying me all the icecream I wanted. Because: health.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2015, 08:11:56 PM »
Concerts (among other reasons, the music is usually better on the recorded track).

Heh.  I'm the exact opposite.  I pretty much never listen to a studio album.  I don't give a shit if you can perform in a studio.  I want to hear you do it live.  I want to hear how the music has changed over 6 months.  I want to hear improvised solos that change every time they're played.  Plus, the stage banter is way better. :)

The fact that sites like the Live Music Archive exist means that I'll never run out of cool shit to listen to.

I love the fact that some concerts will now send you mp3 recordings from the conert.  In my experience this is only for bigger names, but I enjoy being able to revisit the actual concert I was at.  Even better if you can find professional video footage of the concert.

I'm with forummm on this one - I hate live music. It's always too loud for me to enjoy comfortably, and concert environments are just not my cup of tea. I can count on one hand the number of concerts that I've actually enjoyed in my life.

At least you hate mayo, that vile disgusting shit.  There's hope for you yet.  Not sure about forummm though.  Forummm, how do you feel about mayo?  :)

I think it has its place. It's good in a dressing (say as part of chicken or tuna salad or as part of 1000 island dressing). And it can make a nice complement in certain sandwiches. But I only use it incredibly rarely.

For me, the concert hate is also that it costs as much as several weeks of food, you have to spend hours there and hours getting there and back, there are often smoking people around, and it's always too loud to enjoy. And the flashing lights can be irritating. I admit I'm a crotchety old man.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2015, 08:13:49 PM »
It's okay. I work in the live entertainment business and I actually don't care to go to shows. I can sort of use the excuse that I'm too busy working in the evening for why I haven't seen anything, but plenty of my colleagues are excited about going to see stuff.

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2015, 08:58:58 PM »
Use of the word "F---." I shouldn't like it, and I don't.

Avolonte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2015, 09:33:44 PM »
Shrimp, hamburgers, alcohol, "Spaceballs".

Also, my daughter's elementary school teacher this year and 2 of the other 3 years. I hear things like, "Oh, she has Mrs. So-and-So? They're wonderful! I love them!" But I'm not feeling it.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2015, 09:39:24 PM »
Cheese.

Sure. I'll throw in straight milk too.

Being told that I would invariably get osteoporosis unless I spent my adolescence choking down cheese, milk, and yogurt, made for a hard adolescence. Until my parents started buying me all the icecream I wanted. Because: health.

Generous! You're a prince amongst sheep.

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2015, 02:24:26 AM »
Fruits. Any fruit. Even a hint of it literally makes me choke. I've got a note in my dentist's file saying "Don't use ANYTHING fruit flavoured!"

Outdoor sports.

Shoes.

Weddings.

Nostalgia (looking at old pictures, videos, etc...).

Small talk.

Biking.

Star Wars.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2015, 03:41:14 AM »
Amy Schumer's stand-up is meh, but "Trainwreck" was hilarious.

TV outside of sports, and I find I'm not even watching them too much outside of playoffs and hockey.  Related to that, TV in public places as well.  I always try to find a chair where I can't see it and read on my phone (I can tune out the sound).

Tattoos.  I live in a neighborhood full of hipsters and see many poorly made life choices every day.

Most seafood.  I'll eat crab and canned tuna, but that's it.

Basketball.  Make the games two minutes long and I might be interested.

fb132

« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2015, 05:15:39 AM »
Children/Babies : Everyone loves them, everyone wants them....except me. While other see cuteness in them, I see them as individuals who cry when they don't get what they want, they make you spend on stuff you know that will be thrown out or unused in the next few months....Everyone I know wants to have children, while I don't at all. Yea, I know, I am mean lol....What can you do, I just don't like them, the problem for me is finding a girlfriend who doesn't want children either.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 05:21:05 AM by fb132 »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2015, 05:22:46 AM »
it's an acid-oil emulsion bound with egg yolk. Whole egg sometimes, but yolk always. 

Well, damn. I stand corrected. And that description just makes it sound so much more tempting, maybe I'll change my ways! Excuse me for a moment....(*gag*)

;)

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2015, 05:27:24 AM »
I'm gonna add pets to this list. It's not that I don't like animals. Animals are cool. But pets? No thank you. Too much trouble. Unlike children, they'll never grow up and move away, which is the best part about having children.

fb132

« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2015, 05:32:36 AM »
I'm gonna add pets to this list. It's not that I don't like animals. Animals are cool. But pets? No thank you. Too much trouble. Unlike children, they'll never grow up and move away, which is the best part about having children.
But your stuck with children for a minimum of 18 years...a pet usually lives an average of 10-15 years (depending on the animal) and will cost you less long term than a child. Remember, with a child, you have to pay for the clothes, food, stuff and crap they want, school stuff, School tuition etc...A pet requires much less maintenance and cost much less than a child. Oh and pets don't throw fits or tantrums like children do. If you have a dog, they will be very obedient.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 05:35:16 AM by fb132 »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2015, 05:47:00 AM »
But your stuck with children for a minimum of 18 years...a pet usually lives an average of 10-15 years (depending on the animal) and will cost you less long term than a child. Remember, with a child, you have to pay for the clothes, food, stuff and crap they want, school stuff, School tuition etc...A pet requires much less maintenance and cost much less than a child. Oh and pets don't throw fits or tantrums like children do. If you have a dog, they will be very obedient.

Yeah, that's why I list pets under things I should like, but don't. I just don't. But I do like kids. Well, my kids. Not yours.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2015, 05:51:02 AM »
If you're longing for the pitter patter of little feet, a pet is a more cost effective option.  And you get more feet!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2015, 05:51:57 AM »
The Sturgis motorcycle rally.  I'll ride the other way.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 05:54:49 AM by Rollin »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2015, 05:55:43 AM »
Whipped Cream.

The temperature differential between ice cream and whipped cream is so obvious to my senses that I feel like I am eating a warm turd. 
I suppose if I had whipped cream on a hot chocolate I could tolerate it, but now the thought of warm turd is associated with whipped cream, so that's out.

Just use frozen cool whip.  It's similar to whip cream, but has an awesome texture.

fb132

« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2015, 05:56:13 AM »

Yeah, that's why I list pets under things I should like, but don't. I just don't. But I do like kids. Well, my kids. Not yours.
I understand you not liking pets, I just don't understand your argument on pets vs children...btw I hate kids, that is why I countered your argument,lol.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2015, 05:57:07 AM »
If you're longing for the pitter patter of little feet, a pet is a more cost effective option.  And you get more feet!

Cost-effectiveness, as well as any other logical arguments, shall not prevail. I've already taught my 3-year-old to do things a dog will never do. And I still have at least 9 more years that she'll still listen to me!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2015, 06:08:06 AM »
Good coffee.

A friend works for a coffee importer, is master barista or something of the sort, and has been a judge at the world barista championships...so he knows his coffee.  He made me a cup of what was rated as the best coffee in the world from 2014, from some small farm in Ecuador I think.  Eh.  Maybe I just don't know enough about coffee to truly appreciate it.  It tasted way different than any coffee I had ever tasted, but I'd take my bulk costco brand house blend over it.  Probably similar to how Bob W feels about craft beer, although I do love all sorts of craft beer and dislike the macros.

Re Amy Schumer...she can be hit or miss for me, but overall I'd say I like her.  I recommend you checkout the episode that parodies Twelve angry men.  She's not in it, but she wrote.  I found it hilarious.

I like craft beer and drink it regularly.  I like the taste and I like supporting local breweries.  I also like the social aspects of the brew pubs and support them through purchase of their beer.  Couldn't tell you much more than that, and oh maybe I could describe the color, but essentially I like the taste.  Give me a Bud (or other similar) and I'd rather drink water.

Coffee - I have to agree with you.  I make some Folgers and it really tastes good!  Went to a local coffee house (again to support and socialize), but got a lecture on how great the $5 cup of coffee that was been made for me was so much better than the burnt tire coffee they sell at SBs.  Hated to tell him that at least for me the cup of Folgers was better than his.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2015, 06:13:25 AM »
Most children eventually potty train, but we've been scooping our cat's poop for the last 18 years. I can't tell you anything about the bowel movements of my seven year old, because that is his private domain now. Hurrah!

But then again, I can lock my cat in the basement or put a dog in a crate. You can't do that with kids, unless you want to get CPS involved. So I guess it's a wash.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2015, 06:18:04 AM »
Dressing up. Whether it be a tuxedo or normal office attire I hate anything that isn't the most comfortable thing I could be wearing. I detest putting uncomfortable clothing on my body for purely social reasons.

One of the reasons to become FI and RE!  That's my plan in a few months....

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2015, 09:11:56 AM »
Disney and Monte Python.

Was a chaperone last year at Disney for four days.  All expenses paid.  Asked again this year and said no (in my mind I said it with much more enthusiasm).  I went in 1980 and it has not changed since then.  Also, EPCOT was essentially a very hot, very crowded mall with food that cost 4-6 times more than it was worth.

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2015, 09:16:49 AM »

Painting with broad strokes: A bridal shower is a party in the afternoon, typically with female friends and relatives, at someone's house, where the attendees give the bride gifts.  Often silly, irritating games are played, and supposedly hilarious sexual innuendos are peppered throughout the event.

A bachelorette party is the bride and her bridesmaids and possibly other women of that general age, absent mothers of the bride and groom.  Generally, this happens in the evening, involves one or more bars, alcohol, and quite possibly vomiting and/or decisions one will likely regret later.

Pretty much Kris what said.

Bridal Shower - older women, ridiculous shower games (wedding dress out of TP), house gifts such as tupperware and towels.

Bachlorette Party - close friends, sex toys, lingerie, booze and strippers. The last "hurrah" as it were.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2015, 09:53:48 AM »
Frosting.   On the few occasions where we might have cake or cupcakes, please don't put frosting on mine.  It makes my teeth hurt.

And carrot cake anything, especially with cream cheese frosting.  Blech!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2015, 09:55:40 AM »
I'd like to add 'strippers' to this list.

Don't get the appeal at all.  It is just a kinda gross experience for all involved.

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2015, 09:59:56 AM »
I second Drunk Histories. I feel bad because friends kept insisting that it was the best thing ever. I just don't get it :( I get that people are slurring. I just think it could be a lot funnier than it is.

Also, weddings. I've really enjoyed some weddings I've been to, but there's just something about the whole ceremony that seems totally nuts to me. I get it in theory... but dressing up in clothes you would never normally wear (i.e to look like a princess in a ballgown) and then making lots of random things match (flowers, dresses for your girl friends, shoes, candles, other crap)... it just seems weird. And so shamelessly narcissistic.

I especially hate the stupid hipster crafty weddings where the flowers are actually conkers and ivy leaves, and the bride wears 'oyster' or 'sage green' or something, but it's still basically THE EXACT SAME THING as a normal wedding, just with added pretentiousness. Like they want a big fancy wedding but don't want to admit that they want a big fancy wedding.

Uuugh sorry. This is why I never get invited to nice things.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2015, 11:41:09 AM »
Kayaking.

And because kayaking is so popular I can never rent a frikkin canoe.

ClassyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2015, 12:36:12 PM »
Frosting.   On the few occasions where we might have cake or cupcakes, please don't put frosting on mine.  It makes my teeth hurt.

Yes! Cake is something I usually avoid because of the frosting being so painful. If I ever have a small wedding reception, I just wanna have delicious brownies instead.

Disposaleer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2015, 01:21:58 PM »
Most children eventually potty train, but we've been scooping our cat's poop for the last 18 years. I can't tell you anything about the bowel movements of my seven year old, because that is his private domain now. Hurrah!

But then again, I can lock my cat in the basement or put a dog in a crate. You can't do that with kids, unless you want to get CPS involved. So I guess it's a wash.

We taught our cat to use the toilet and now have to flush the toilet daily. Much easier, no stink, and when we leave town we just have a neighbor come in, check the food and water, and flush the toilet. Plus we never have to buy litter or bags again! Mustachian win.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2015, 01:29:49 PM »

Yes! Cake is something I usually avoid because of the frosting being so painful. If I ever have a small wedding reception, I just wanna have delicious brownies instead.

The wife and I had pie at our wedding reception.  Way better than cake.   

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2015, 03:11:50 PM »
We had cheesecake at our wedding. I'm not generally a fan of cake either, and most frosting is gross.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2015, 04:16:34 PM »
Hummus.

Frosting.

Weddings.

Other people's kids.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2015, 04:23:15 PM »
The concept of living in the suburbs in a big house with a lawn you have to maintain.

The lawn is actually pretty easy compared to the weeding!

Funny,  whenever someone says to "visualize your happy place"  or "where do see yourself when retired?"  I picture my bare feet in the grass - at MY house...(because grass at parks could be filled with nasty dog leavings, hypodermic needles, fertilizer overkill, or broken glass from someone's party last night = no bare feet!)

Hmmm...  Everywhere I lived i have a memory--  Bare feet in snow (Calgary), bare feet on asphalt / sand (San Francisco), Bare feet in "gumbo" (AKA mud)- (Winnipeg), Bare feet in grass (Vancouver) -- I seem to want to live my home life in bare feet outside!  Drives DH nuts.

JumpInTheFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #146 on: August 19, 2015, 05:11:42 PM »
In no particular order:

Cilantro
Work
Social Media
Social Anything
Movie Theaters
Disney Anything
Heavy makeup (we get it, you're afraid you'll be judged old/ugly, that doesn't mean you need to plaster 5 pounds of crap on your face)
People who think I want to hear every detail about their boring life.  I guess this is pretty much the same as my dislike for social media
Posting to message boards (I lurk a ton but seldom post)
New Anything.  Maybe it's from growing up poor, but for some reason I hate having new clothes/shoes/car/etc.  I remember getting new shoes in the 2nd grade and scuffing them on the way to school so nobody would notice.  It certainly helps with living a mustachian life but it seems like it is at odds with the majority.
Watching baseball.  Their tagline should be "More boring than watching golf!"
The Big Bang Theory (It's not about nerds, it's about how "normals" think a stereotypical nerd would act.  It's like nerd blackface)

I'm sure there's more but that's a good start!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2015, 07:42:08 PM »
Hummus.

Frosting.

Weddings.

Other people's kids.

With you on 2-4. (But are you supposed to actually like weddings--especially as a male? I thought they were just tolerated.)

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #148 on: August 19, 2015, 08:26:48 PM »
I'll start.

People I really respect, and whose tastes typically run parallel to my own, tell me this woman is a comedic genius, f-ing hilarious, pushing social boundaries, etc. - so I *should* love her comedy, but...meh. I just don't.

The Matrix. I'm a life long Sci-Fi fan, but I've never been able to get past the opening scenes of that famous movie.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2015, 08:29:33 PM »
The Big Bang Theory (It's not about nerds, it's about how "normals" think a stereotypical nerd would act.  It's like nerd blackface)

lol. my big brother (a proto-nerd who came up in the 70s) says the exact same thing.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!