Author Topic: Things You Should Like, But Just Don't  (Read 128951 times)

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
Things You Should Like, But Just Don't
« on: August 17, 2015, 11:19:05 AM »
I'll start.

By all evidence of my politics, peers, general tolerance for smut and shock - I should adore this comedian Amy Schumer everyone's talking about. So I finally sat down yesterday, sought out some of her stand-up on YouTube, watched a half-hour and didn't laugh once. Huh. That's odd.

So then my FB peeps tell me she has a TV show, and that's what I need to watch. Another 30 minutes spent watching clips from TV show. Maybe a few half-hearted chuckles, but at no point am I actually laughing. So at this point I've spent an hour of my life trying to find Amy Schumer's comedy funny, but I just don't, so I give up.

People I really respect, and whose tastes typically run parallel to my own, tell me this woman is a comedic genius, f-ing hilarious, pushing social boundaries, etc. - so I *should* love her comedy, but...meh. I just don't.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
Re: Things You Should Like, But Just Don't
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 11:37:05 AM »
puppies

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 11:41:13 AM »
Big bang theory and fruit or cucumbers in my water.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 11:41:24 AM »
Onions. Oh, how much easier eating at restaurants/other people's houses/potlucks would be if I could stand the taste of onions. They're in everything, which means everyone except me likes them, right?

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 11:45:02 AM »
Fruit

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 11:53:50 AM »
Odd coincidence, as I was just thinking about this very thing. I love my three grandchildren, I guess, but I don't like them as well as I'm supposed to. I thought I would love being very involved in their lives, seeing them almost daily, having them in my house for a few hours x five days per week...my seven years home with my own children were the highlight of my life...and as a child, I was extremely close to my own two grandmothers. But these kids are different. Popular with their friends, doing fine at school, nothing really horrendous to relate. But personalities are just not "clicking" with any of the three. No bad feelings particularly, but not much rapport, either. I guess I'm just a Bad Grandma.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 12:13:53 PM »
I've only seen a few clips but the Amy Schumer stuff I've seen is OK. The premise is good or clever. But I wasn't laughing.

I've been reading the Game of Thrones. They are kind of interesting but not amazing. I like them enough to finish them. But not like "I can't put this down". And I would be OK just reading a plot summary to find out what happens (out of curiosity). Maybe it's one of the rare things where the video version is better?

Unless I've just been really overworked, I don't like doing nothing. My mind starts trying to figure out something so the time isn't wasted I guess.

I don't like alcohol.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 12:20:23 PM »
Huh, she makes me cry laughing. Especially this one: https://youtu.be/G9JmCHmH35k
If that one doesn't make you laugh, then yes, you def don't like her stuff

Chuckle at god saying, "I need to stop making so many white girls."

Otherwise - nada.

ClassyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 12:21:21 PM »
Many people who have personalities and interests similar to mine also happen to like anime. There's a couple exceptions that I'll watch rarely, but for the most part I do not enjoy it. The characters and art styles are all too uniform to me, making it difficult to care about the story itself. When I explain this to some people, they insist that it's okay for the characters to be "meh" because the story is amazing, but I disagree. I can't get into it if I don't give a crap about these characters that I hate. I've mostly given up on enjoying it at this point, so no huge loss.

I've only seen a few clips but the Amy Schumer stuff I've seen is OK. The premise is good or clever. But I wasn't laughing.

I've been reading the Game of Thrones. They are kind of interesting but not amazing. I like them enough to finish them. But not like "I can't put this down". And I would be OK just reading a plot summary to find out what happens (out of curiosity). Maybe it's one of the rare things where the video version is better?

Unless I've just been really overworked, I don't like doing nothing. My mind starts trying to figure out something so the time isn't wasted I guess.

I don't like alcohol.

I have the same thoughts on Game of Thrones. I wasn't super interested in the books or show after a certain point but was curious about what happened to the characters, so I was fully satisfied reading a plot summary.

And I also don't like alcohol.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 12:24:10 PM »
Babies.  Yuck.  Toddlers I get, they do funny stuff sometimes and watching them work out how the world works can be entertaining.  Babies are virtually brain dead fluid and scream factories.  They're like retarded hairless puppies.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 12:29:18 PM »
Amy Schumer? Yeah, nada for me, too. ("She makes me cry laughing"???) Maybe I just lack the gene. I liked God on that youtube video. Worth watching it for that.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 12:45:40 PM »
I'm a huge anime/manga geek so this is in terms of that: I enjoy cute (story and/or art) with plot and cute with emotion, but I am adverse to flat-out cute stories/art. Sorry if that didn't make sense.

My favorite stand-up comic is Gabriel Iglesias, although, I've only seen his specials.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 01:07:20 PM »

Craft beer and expensive whiskey--- not so much.  I really don't like a lot of flavor in my beer and on any blind taste test will pick a $7 Canadian blend over that other stuff.   

I guess technically I'm not supposed to like those as my friends are pretty much the same.   So perhaps it is that I just don't like people who like craft beer and whiskey and can tell me the merits of the caramelized oak flavor in whatever. 

Unfiltered wheat beer should just be poured down the drain at the brewery.   "yeah,  we thought about making ours filtered but then we found this whole demographic of people that prefer the feel of dust on their tongue when they drink beer and like the aftertaste to last for an hour"

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 01:17:20 PM »
Oatmeal, as a cereal. I like oatmeal in cookies, I like oatmeal in rhubarb or berry crisp, I like some oatmeal in pancake batter. But I do not like oatmeal as a breakfast cereal.

It tastes like slime to me. Can only be swallowed if covered with so many bad for you things that the exercise is pointless.

And I think Amy Schumer can be too mean to be funny. But I'm not feeling any pressure about it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 01:19:03 PM »

Craft beer and expensive whiskey--- not so much.  I really don't like a lot of flavor in my beer and on any blind taste test will pick a $7 Canadian blend over that other stuff.   

I guess technically I'm not supposed to like those as my friends are pretty much the same.   So perhaps it is that I just don't like people who like craft beer and whiskey and can tell me the merits of the caramelized oak flavor in whatever. 

Unfiltered wheat beer should just be poured down the drain at the brewery.   "yeah,  we thought about making ours filtered but then we found this whole demographic of people that prefer the feel of dust on their tongue when they drink beer and like the aftertaste to last for an hour"

Hmmm . . . an American complaining about beer that isn't bland enough and is too flavourful.   Shocking testimony.  :P

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 01:28:21 PM »
Good coffee.

A friend works for a coffee importer, is master barista or something of the sort, and has been a judge at the world barista championships...so he knows his coffee.  He made me a cup of what was rated as the best coffee in the world from 2014, from some small farm in Ecuador I think.  Eh.  Maybe I just don't know enough about coffee to truly appreciate it.  It tasted way different than any coffee I had ever tasted, but I'd take my bulk costco brand house blend over it.  Probably similar to how Bob W feels about craft beer, although I do love all sorts of craft beer and dislike the macros.

Re Amy Schumer...she can be hit or miss for me, but overall I'd say I like her.  I recommend you checkout the episode that parodies Twelve angry men.  She's not in it, but she wrote.  I found it hilarious.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 01:28:51 PM »
Babies.  Yuck.  Toddlers I get, they do funny stuff sometimes and watching them work out how the world works can be entertaining.  Babies are virtually brain dead fluid and scream factories.  They're like retarded hairless puppies.

Me, too.  Children under 18... bleah.

The good news is that my stepdaughters are both over 18 now.

The bad news is, one of them just had a baby, so now I'm a grandma. I'm supposed to be going crazy over this kid.  Meh. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 01:40:18 PM »
Oatmeal, as a cereal. I like oatmeal in cookies, I like oatmeal in rhubarb or berry crisp, I like some oatmeal in pancake batter. But I do not like oatmeal as a breakfast cereal.

It tastes like slime to me. Can only be swallowed if covered with so many bad for you things that the exercise is pointless.

And I think Amy Schumer can be too mean to be funny. But I'm not feeling any pressure about it.

I was just about to say Oatmeal...but you did it much better :) I love it as an ingredient and use it all the time! But as a  hot cereal...mmm...no....no matter how much doctoring, I can only choke down a few bites.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 01:43:04 PM »

Say what you really mean, stop holding back, just to be polite.  It's the internet.

..grin..

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 01:55:07 PM »
Watermelon, mint & chocolate combined, mainstream sitcoms.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 02:15:09 PM »
Most sports.

Coffee.

Concerts (among other reasons, the music is usually better on the recorded track).

The Sopranos. It was an OK series, but not "the greatest show ever".

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »
2nd to whoever said Big Bang Theory.  Most overrated show in Television, IMHO! 

-The Hobbit (the book...haven't seen past the first movie)
-Tomatoes (yes, even garden fresh heirloom ones)
-Steak
-Bars/Clubs

Ozapftis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 02:17:15 PM »
All types of alcoholic beverages (wine, hard liquor, etc.) except for beer. They make me feel tired for the rest of the night and often a little sick even the next day.

Up to this day I don't understand what's so great about the Harry Potter books and movies.

Also, I can't stand about 98% of what's on TV. Only exception: Relaxing/decelerating or somewhat informative stuff. I always liked the Bob Ross (painter) stuff, documentaries about nature, history, or science. No-Gos: mainstream sitcoms with over-energized characters and high-density talking.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:19:37 PM by Ozapftis »

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 02:21:45 PM »
Most sports.

Coffee.

Concerts (among other reasons, the music is usually better on the recorded track).

The Sopranos. It was an OK series, but not "the greatest show ever".
I don't like most sports, coffee, or concerts either. Yay!

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 02:26:50 PM »
Cilantro, most beer, tasting menus, starbucks/caribou/most coffee shops, baseball.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 02:31:55 PM »
Onions. Oh, how much easier eating at restaurants/other people's houses/potlucks would be if I could stand the taste of onions. They're in everything, which means everyone except me likes them, right?

I HATE onions and you are right they are in EVERYTHING. I meticulously read descriptions of everything I buy and today they still ended up in my lunch. :-(

But, yeah, apparently it's just the two of us :-)

Ozapftis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 02:36:03 PM »
Monty Python.  Every time I watch these I fall asleep from boredom.

+1. I've found "Spaceballs" to be equally entertaining...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 03:10:48 PM »
High quality vodkas. I have an excellent sense of taste and smell usually, but even when someone SWEARS their small batch/spendy/fancy vodka has 'berry notes' or whatever, it just tastes like vodka to me.

I should have liked being engaged/planning my wedding/being a princess or whatever. I was SO RELIVED to be done with it all. Thrilled I'm married, but I did not enjoy getting there. (I did have a bit of fun picking my dress though, so there you go. And I ACTUALLY enjoyed writing the ceremony with DH, so that was fine).

"You're a 90s kid if...". I always just think "yes, I recognize that reference/product, yes that was fun, what's your point?" Maybe I'm just not particularly nostalgic.

Drunk history. I have had many friends recommend this to me, and I just think it's dumb.

(Wow, writing about things I don't like makes me feel like I'm a miserable person lol. I swear there are many things I appreciate and enjoy! Whiskey, hiking, puppies!)

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »
I'm with you on Amy Schumer. Her and brussel sprouts. (And I seriously want to punch everyone who chimes in with "you just need to try them roasted.")

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 03:26:08 PM »
Caffeine.  Love decaff coffee though.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 03:52:54 PM »
Here is Amy Schumer at the Charlie Sheen roast--but she mostly roasts Mike Tyson.    Not trying to make converts, but I thought this was absolutely side-splitting.  Not even remotely safe for work. 

https://youtu.be/MylhoTBrLrI

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 03:54:28 PM »
I'm with you on Amy Schumer. Her and brussel sprouts. (And I seriously want to punch everyone who chimes in with "you just need to try them roasted.")

Ahhh, but what about roasted with balsalmic? Eh? Eh?

(I'm sorry, I could not contain myself from trolling. I'm with you actually- I'll eat them because they're healthy and DH likes them, but I doubt I'll ever go beyond 'tolerate')

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 03:56:05 PM »
Here is Amy Schumer at the Charlie Sheen roast
(And I seriously want to punch everyone who chimes in with "you just need to try them roasted.")
Self-quoting for emphasis!

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2015, 03:59:46 PM »
Beer.

Clubs/Bars.
Those two are also on my list.

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2015, 04:01:54 PM »
Obama

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2015, 04:05:39 PM »
Eating out!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2015, 04:06:12 PM »
Chocolate. We hates it, precious.

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2015, 04:10:24 PM »
Games. I have a friend who always wants to get together and play games. He likes Corn Hole, card games, settlers of catan, etc. I really can't stand playing games. I'd be plenty happy to just get together and shoot the sh*t over a beer or something but he's always needing this extra thing to play. Ugh. He's a poor conversationalist though so that might make sense.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 04:16:38 PM »

I was just about to say Oatmeal...but you did it much better :) I love it as an ingredient and use it all the time! But as a  hot cereal...mmm...no....no matter how much doctoring, I can only choke down a few bites.
I used to feel the same way... I had to use so much brown sugar to make it taste acceptable that it seemed very unhealthy. But I found out 1 big spoonfull of Nutella or Peanut Butter can make an entire bowl of oatmeal taste amazing, try it and you probably won't be disappointed

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2015, 04:19:57 PM »

I HATE onions and you are right they are in EVERYTHING. I meticulously read descriptions of everything I buy and today they still ended up in my lunch. :-(

I hate onions too... I really dislike liars and try not to lie when possible, but I can't tell you how many times I've told people I'm allergic to onions... LOL. I get so many strange looks when I spend 5-10 minutes looking for onions and picking them out of a dish before I eat it. People will say, "you can't even taste them". However if that were true, I'm fairly certain people wouldn't use them so religiously.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2015, 04:31:47 PM »
Games. I have a friend who always wants to get together and play games. He likes Corn Hole, card games, settlers of catan, etc. I really can't stand playing games. I'd be plenty happy to just get together and shoot the sh*t over a beer or something but he's always needing this extra thing to play. Ugh. He's a poor conversationalist though so that might make sense.

Oh, man, you and me both. Ugh. Every time I'm with people and someone suggests playing a game... Instat panic reaction. Nooooo... Don't make me do it!  I will happily sit at the same table and read a book while you guys play, but... Please do me a favor and count me out.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2015, 04:32:35 PM »
Pumpkin spice flavored anything. Gah! Even the smell is disgusting. 

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 04:41:48 PM »
Bloody Mary's

Everyone always says the same thing... "you just haven't had a good one" Then I try theirs and I think it sucks too...

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 04:51:31 PM »
Bloody Mary's

Everyone always says the same thing... "you just haven't had a good one" Then I try theirs and I think it sucks too...

Lol!  Though I will say, my husband hated them, too, and I said exactly that. Then he had a good one, and now he loves them.

If you don't like tomato juice, though, pretty sure you're SOL..

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2015, 04:57:01 PM »
Dressing up. Whether it be a tuxedo or normal office attire I hate anything that isn't the most comfortable thing I could be wearing. I detest putting uncomfortable clothing on my body for purely social reasons.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2015, 04:57:51 PM »

Heh.  I'm the exact opposite.  I pretty much never listen to a studio album.  I don't give a shit if you can perform in a studio.  I want to hear you do it live.  I want to hear how the music has changed over 6 months.  I want to hear improvised solos that change every time they're played.  Plus, the stage banter is way better. :)

The fact that sites like the Live Music Archive exist means that I'll never run out of cool shit to listen to.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2015, 05:04:36 PM »

And my husband. He can't tolerate them in anything. This includes green onions too. God, I miss cooking with onions.

My list:

Breaking Bad
Food Trucks
Adult cartoons like Bob's Burgers and Archer
Plays

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2015, 05:10:04 PM »
Crowds of any kind
Small talk..bleck! Give me an honest to God conversation with a real person over "chit chat"
Coffee...prefer peppermint tea
95% of what's on TV (Although I am finding I like power watching West Wing a lot)
Cats
All the goddamed super hero movies! Enough!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:13:26 PM by Sailor14 »

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2015, 05:22:10 PM »
I luuuurve Amy Schumer.   

And I also don't like onions, at least not raw.

Hmmm, otherwise, some things that perhaps I should like, but don't include:

-Disneyland/world whatever
-pastries, pies, and really any sweet doughy thing (doughnuts, etc).   Chocolate cake's ok, but otherwise, not a fan.
-butter and cream, including whipped (probably contributes to my dislike of the above)
-sports of any kind
-reading fiction/novels (I'm a nonfiction type of lady)
-traveling in general.   There are a few exceptions of places I wouldn't mind going, but really not a traveler.
-high heels
-eating out most places

-Oh, and third to Big Bang.   *Hate* that show (although a great part of it is it's promotion of such flat stereotypes of physicists.   I find this downright harmful by encouraging those who do not fit the stereotypes to not feel like physics is for them).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:27:50 PM by Emilyngh »

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2015, 05:44:50 PM »
I used to feel the same way... I had to use so much brown sugar to make it taste acceptable that it seemed very unhealthy. But I found out 1 big spoonfull of Nutella or Peanut Butter can make an entire bowl of oatmeal taste amazing, try it and you probably won't be disappointed

Since oatmeal and peanut butter are both likely to be in my emergency stores at any given point, I probably should try it before whatever apocolyptic (sp) event causes me to have to need them. If it doesn't work out, the dog would probably be keen about it.