Author Topic: Things You Like That Most Other People Might Not  (Read 41108 times)

Mikhial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Things You Like That Most Other People Might Not
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2015, 08:37:34 AM »
The "heels" of bread

YES. Also the crispy rice that sticks to the bottom of the cooker.
You have this in common with a lot of Spanish people. Dominicans call it Concón. I know Cubans have a separate name for it as well.

Rachelocity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2015, 08:57:04 AM »
watching QVC-not to ever buy anything, but I find the handling items and descriptions super relaxing (google ASMR if you don't get this)

=1 - It's reassuring to know that when the news channels are stress-mongering, I can tune into a Happy Place where the biggest problem is that they are sold out of the Size 7 Skechers.  Kinda like B&W Pleasantville, minus the sinister undertones.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2015, 10:08:17 AM »
Kimchi.  I got complaints at work for eating it there due to smell.  Fine, less fish sauce in the next batch.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2015, 10:25:06 AM »
Kimchi.  I got complaints at work for eating it there due to smell.  Fine, less fish sauce in the next batch.

Sign me up for liking fish sauce.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2015, 10:35:02 AM »
I remembered another one. I like reading the last/latest chapter of a book/series before deciding whether or not to continue reading it from the beginning. I enjoy spoiling things for myself.

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2015, 11:06:40 AM »

mmmmm, fish sauce ...

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2015, 11:15:43 AM »

Slightly burnt popcorn

Yes! My husband thinks I'm gross, but I halfway burn it intentionally.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »

mmmmm, fish sauce ...

+1

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2015, 11:24:26 AM »
Flat soda - specifically dark sodas like Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc. I'll open bottle (on the rare occasions I get one) and let it go flat in the fridge for a few days. I think this is because I wasn't allowed soda until I was maybe 10 so I never got used to the carbonation.

Clearing gross fluids out - I did my walk through for respiratory school this weekend and I got to help suction an incubated patient. Watching the chunky, green congestion go to clear healthy secretion was awesome.

Haha, suctioning is the BEST. It's so easy to make someone feel better. Oddly satisfying.

I knew I couldn't be the only one! I was explaining this to my sister (The Nurse) and she almost gagged.

I'm a nurse and that's far and away my least favorite thing to do. All the other ::ahem:: secretions seem benign in comparison to those respiratory secretions.

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2015, 11:28:32 AM »
I remembered another one. I like reading the last/latest chapter of a book/series before deciding whether or not to continue reading it from the beginning. I enjoy spoiling things for myself.

As do I... it's not spoiling anything, in my opinion; it's just a way of satisfying the crazy little part of me that must always be prepared. When I already know the ending, I don't rush through to get to the plot twist(s), so I can really relax and enjoy the story.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2015, 11:33:30 AM »

As do I... it's not spoiling anything, in my opinion; it's just a way of satisfying the crazy little part of me that must always be prepared. When I already know the ending, I don't rush through to get to the plot twist(s), so I can really relax and enjoy the story.
I've had the issue of rushing to get through a series which coincided with not already knowing the ending. Hmm. That is some good insight.

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2015, 11:54:54 AM »
Flat soda - specifically dark sodas like Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc. I'll open bottle (on the rare occasions I get one) and let it go flat in the fridge for a few days. I think this is because I wasn't allowed soda until I was maybe 10 so I never got used to the carbonation.

Clearing gross fluids out - I did my walk through for respiratory school this weekend and I got to help suction an incubated patient. Watching the chunky, green congestion go to clear healthy secretion was awesome.

Haha, suctioning is the BEST. It's so easy to make someone feel better. Oddly satisfying.

I knew I couldn't be the only one! I was explaining this to my sister (The Nurse) and she almost gagged.

I'm a nurse and that's far and away my least favorite thing to do. All the other ::ahem:: secretions seem benign in comparison to those respiratory secretions.

I can't handle anything below the belt. Just...no. Hence RT school instead of RN :)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2015, 02:40:35 PM »

mmmmm, fish sauce ...

+1
Glad to know the MMM forum is on my side!  I don't always enjoy the odors of people's food, but I just think that's a shitty thing to complain about...

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2015, 02:50:25 PM »
Liver, especially as pate. Uncooked bacon. Slices of butter. Sigh. No wonder I've spent so much time on Weight Watchers.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2015, 10:38:49 AM »
Everyone criticized January Jones' performance on Mad Men but I enjoyed it, even in the first season.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2015, 10:58:58 AM »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2015, 11:52:11 AM »
I like to be moderately sore . . . pretty much all the time.

I've been involved in various sports related activities for so long that having tired quads, tired tummy, or burnt out arms is my normal resting state.  It's only when injured for a couple weeks that everything heals up to feel 100% . . . and I don't like the feeling.  You get very restless, less able to properly relax, have a harder time falling asleep, etc.

It has come to my attention that some people find general soreness / discomfort awful and avoid exercise because of it.  The concept weirds me right out.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2015, 12:02:37 PM »

I've been involved in various sports related activities for so long that having tired quads, tired tummy, or burnt out arms is my normal resting state.  It's only when injured for a couple weeks that everything heals up to feel 100% . . . and I don't like the feeling.  You get very restless, less able to properly relax, have a harder time falling asleep, etc.

It has come to my attention that some people find general soreness / discomfort awful and avoid exercise because of it.  The concept weirds me right out.

I do like the feeling, but any time I've been doing hard work outs three times a week I am sore all the time and I hate that. Like, the soreness feels healthy, but I think I'm not normally very aware of my body and it's annoying to constantly be reminded of it. Do think this is possible to overcome?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2015, 12:33:11 PM »

I do like the feeling, but any time I've been doing hard work outs three times a week I am sore all the time and I hate that. Like, the soreness feels healthy, but I think I'm not normally very aware of my body and it's annoying to constantly be reminded of it. Do think this is possible to overcome?

You won't completely get rid of it, but you really will get used to the soreness over time.  Just keep records of your heart rate (good indicator of overtraining) when you're doing six or seven hard workouts a week.  Your body is an incredible adapting machine, as long as you ramp up slowly (and get proper sleep/nutrition) it's amazing what it can do.   :P

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2015, 01:07:33 PM »

I also like the feeling of muscle soreness. If I workout too much the soreness moves into my tendons, and I've got not fondness for that state of being.

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2015, 10:25:35 PM »
Cucumber peanut butter sandwiches.  Also peanut butter banana sandwiches.
Cold peeled cucumber slices with a little ketchup on each.

Lard in pie crusts (I render my own leaf lard).
Rainy days, especially if I can stay home and read.
Corny old musicals.

Fruitcake (generally only if I make it). Mine is dark and steeped in cognac.
Cooking for other people.
Sleep.

Shropskr

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2015, 12:20:10 AM »
Stale popcorn.  I like it much better the second day.

Leftovers

The sound of a semi trucks Jake break.  The sound of semi trucks period. Reminds me of summers in the truck with dad.

Black completely black, no light bedrooms for sleeping.  My alarm clock died and I'm having a horrible time finding one with large numbers and not bright.

Driving distance on freeways.  Every spring I get twitchy and want to go go go.  No I don't care where I just want to drive.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2015, 09:15:59 AM »
Uncooked bacon.

Like... raw pork?
Cured would be more accurate than just raw. I like it too!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2015, 02:33:52 PM »
Cucumber peanut butter sandwiches.  Also peanut butter banana sandwiches.
Cold peeled cucumber slices with a little ketchup on each.

Lard in pie crusts (I render my own leaf lard).
Rainy days, especially if I can stay home and read.
Corny old musicals.

Fruitcake (generally only if I make it). Mine is dark and steeped in cognac.
Cooking for other people.
Sleep.

Anyone whodoesn't like PB banana sandwiches and real pie crust (requires lard) is a fruitcake.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2015, 07:25:29 PM »
Uncooked bacon.

Like... raw pork?
Cured would be more accurate than just raw. I like it too!

I mean, I know we eat prosciutto technically "raw", but I thought it had way less moisture and that made it safe? Is raw bacon safe?

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2015, 09:48:25 PM »
Road trips by myself. Seriously. Drove 16hrs once, stopping for no more than 5 minutes each time. Lots of time to think, lots of freedom to decide what I want to do.

Dry cereal. Like Raisin Bran with no milk. Can't stand soggy cereal and even Grape Nuts gets soggy right away. I don't eat cereal very much, but if I ever do (like in a hotel with free breakfast) it's dry.

Being up at dawn. Especially if I'm the only one up.

Doing things by myself, such as hiking or camping.

Reading non-fiction. Used to love novels, now I'm really picky. But I struggle to get out of the library without too many non-fiction books!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2015, 10:20:36 PM »

extremely bitter IPA's

+1

now I can't stand other beers

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2015, 10:59:21 PM »

[/quote]

I third suctioning.

Getting the foley in a guy with a huge prostate, who is crying from the pain of retention after another nurse's unfruitful attempts and nailing it in 2 secs. Their relief makes me so happy, retention hurts! The sucky part is he had to wait for me to come from wherever I was in the county to his home. I hated that part.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2015, 11:03:22 PM »

Slow movies. Like, it's over and other people respond with "but did anything happen??"
Yes yes yes to weird, slow movies.

Hooray! Any favorites? Have you seen The Turin Horse (aka, the recent winner of the weird, slow movie category)? I also really loved Meek's Cutoff. Both from 2011, I think.

one of you must've seen that weird Swedish one where an old man sits on a high chair observing the two people in the kitchen, oddly satisfying to get through

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2015, 11:57:15 PM »

[/quote]

For me, the doggy smell, though, is specific. My doggies' particular doggy smells. The male is eau de greasy truffles and the female is grass and graham crackers. Yes, I sniff them like a fine wine and proclaim the undertones I discover like Paul Giamatti's character in "Sideways."
--yes, their wet smell too!
 [/quote]

lol, at Sideways

my dog smell is very specific, too.  The top of the head of my most beloved dog ever. Only her, not my other dog, or past dogs.  She doesn't even smell doggy, she smells what warmth would smell like. After coming home from a bad day in hospice (another thing I truly loved, that others probably would not), sitting next to her giving her a hug and smelling the top of her head, made it better.  She just sits there, content to be smelled. Apparently, my dog is my blankie, sheesh

Tom Waits

Charles Grodin's nightly talk show from 20 years ago and trying to find bits of it on the web. Had a bit of a Chuck crush back then, what's a 40 yr old age difference? I still may have a bit of that crush, on Chuck in 1995, not so much on 80 yr old Mr Grodin, phew. Clever; smart and clever, top all.

on a snowy night, having needlessly washed the duvet cover, then the duvet, then the down blanket and the crispest sheets, putting it all back together, making it look like a boutique hotel and climbing in

John Prine over and over and over, live over and over and over.  Jeff Tweedy, too

Woody Guthrie, his recordings and then others doing him

Howard Zinn, Noam Chomsky

fights between Vidal and Mailer, I love this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8m9vDRe8fw

I love them both and hate them both, win to Flanner here

that's enough, off to request Mailer from the library, having lost memory can be a good thing, I hated re-reading, reserved only for a few treasured books, now I can re-read everything and it's new. Memory swipe has a few bennies, but not enough to make this list of things I like that others' hate.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2015, 05:40:12 AM »
Smells: Scotch tape, new shoes (they literally can make my mouth water)

Foods: fruit that others consider overly ripe - when others think the fruit has gone back, I think it's just becoming palatable. Room-temperature soft drinks. Flat soft drinks. (And flat, room-temperature soft drinks). Sardines are fine. I love cooked spinach and cooked broccoli. Ice cream that has mostly melted -- it's better when it's more liquid!

Work: Not having my two days off in a row. I only had this happen one summer while I was in university -- I had Tuesdays and Saturdays off. I loved it. Always a day off coming up!

Sounds: certain sounds are super soothing to me, putting me in the most comforting trance-like state. My ex used to have this weird humming that apparently everyone else found irritating and that I just loved. It's also happened on occasion with the sound of someone counting pages of paper by flipping through them rhythmically.

Men: chest hair. The more the better!

Fashion: panty lines -- I mean, it's not that I like them per se, but I don't understand at all why they are a fashion faux-pas, they are so inoffensive to me.

Random: When people behind me kick my seat, like at the movies. It feels like a massage to me - I love it.

(I'm sure there are many more, but that's a few that come to mind right now.)

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2015, 10:26:04 AM »
I hate to admit it, but I love Spam. Not the email kind, the weird meat in a can kind!

I love okra too.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2015, 05:36:35 PM »

Stale popcorn.  I like it much better the second day.

2nd day popcorn is the best!

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2015, 09:01:49 PM »
Fashion: panty lines -- I mean, it's not that I like them per se, but I don't understand at all why they are a fashion faux-pas, they are so inoffensive to me.

It is a mystery to me why it is so horrible that people suspect you are wearing underwear.

Also, pubic hair.  I don't understand why that has become verboten these days.  Shaving and waxing, what misery.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2015, 05:46:57 AM »

It is a mystery to me why it is so horrible that people suspect you are wearing underwear.

Also, pubic hair.  I don't understand why that has become verboten these days.  Shaving and waxing, what misery.

Oh, this. Why is it considered so un-sexy to have a physical characteristic that shows you've gone through puberty? Surely being post-pubescent is a GOOD thing in a sexual partner?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2015, 06:12:40 AM »

Oh, this. Why is it considered so un-sexy to have a physical characteristic that shows you've gone through puberty? Surely being post-pubescent is a GOOD thing in a sexual partner?

There's a happy medium.  Some would get thrown out of a nude beach for looking like they're still wearing pants. . .

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2015, 06:59:44 AM »
doing taxes
organizing things (I used to love it when my friends had to clean their rooms and I could go help organize when I was a kid)
rainy days
stale candy that's gotten chewy
spending 5+ hours carefully and methodically working a long hard problem (math, science, engineering, etc)
watching QVC-not to ever buy anything, but I find the handling items and descriptions super relaxing (google ASMR if you don't get this)

I'm glad someone mentioned ASMR. Outside of the internet, I have found nobody who understands this. Listening to people with lovely voices, talking for ages, about fairly inane things = unbelievably relaxing. Anyone? *silence*

Connected to that, being the passenger on long car journeys. I feel so relaxed it's like my brain is just melting. Something to do with the rumbling noises.

Also, solitude, like many others (but let's not hang out and talk about it or anything).

In fact I think this thread should be renamed 'Solitude and Anchovies'.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2015, 07:12:42 AM »
I have the same reaction to golf. Sunday afternoon, wanting a nap? Put on a golf game. Those whispering announcers put me right out.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2015, 09:02:26 AM »

If you ever write an autobiography, I think you have your title.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2015, 09:32:04 AM »
Connected to that, being the passenger on long car journeys. I feel so relaxed it's like my brain is just melting. Something to do with the rumbling noises.
Yeah, I'm the world's worst road trip companion. Since I was a little kid I have had a hard time staying awake while riding in a car.

I wish I was the same way in planes, but I can't sleep a wink on those :-/

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2015, 07:29:33 AM »

If you ever write an autobiography, I think you have your title.

Haha! :) Damn right. I LOVE anchovies. Melted into spaghetti bolognese for that umami taste, can't beat it. Obviously that's spaghetti bolognese for one.

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2015, 07:31:44 AM »
Yeah, I'm the world's worst road trip companion. Since I was a little kid I have had a hard time staying awake while riding in a car.

I wish I was the same way in planes, but I can't sleep a wink on those :-/

Ah, same here. One of my relatives falls asleep pretty quick no matter what kind of transport - she once fell asleep on the back of someone's motorbike. Eep!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2015, 06:11:34 AM »

[/quote]

There's a happy medium.  Some would get thrown out of a nude beach for looking like they're still wearing pants. . .
[/quote]

you're a feminist do not laugh, do not laugh, do not laugh.  Laughing very hard

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2015, 09:23:10 AM »
Quote from: Pigeon on October 11, 2015, 09:01:49 PM

Here's the answer. The comments are interesting too, if you have time. http://www.feministcurrent.com/2015/09/28/youve-heard-of-rape-culture-but-have-you-heard-of-pedophile-culture/

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2015, 10:15:59 AM »

Here's the answer. The comments are interesting too, if you have time. http://www.feministcurrent.com/2015/09/28/youve-heard-of-rape-culture-but-have-you-heard-of-pedophile-culture/

My own preference for less public hair has more to do with cunnilingus and not having to pick errant hairs out of my teeth.  TMI and YMMV. . .

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2015, 01:35:10 PM »

my dog smell is very specific, too.  The top of the head of my most beloved dog ever. Only her, not my other dog, or past dogs.  She doesn't even smell doggy, she smells what warmth would smell like. After coming home from a bad day in hospice (another thing I truly loved, that others probably would not), sitting next to her giving her a hug and smelling the top of her head, made it better.  She just sits there, content to be smelled. Apparently, my dog is my blankie, sheesh

Tom Waits

I remember having a cat that smelled just like a stuffed animal, or the stuffed animal smelled like her. Some dogs smell very nice, especially when they haven't been hit by a skunk in the recent year.

Apparently I loved Tom Waits when I was 4 or 5 and wanted to re-listen to Bone Machine over and over. I still do love his music haha. Apparently my musical tastes didn't change much. I also love the soundtracks from the first two Silent Hill games. I have fond memories of evil washing machine screechy sound music.

Black licorice, anise schnapps, anise flavoured anything (except cheap ass Jägermeister)
Root beer flavoured anything.
anchovies and sardines.
Plain carbonated water, I like the taste.
Cooked fish eggs.
Turkey mayo/honey sandwiches, or tuna mayo/honey sandwiches with spinach. Mayo honey is my fave for sandwiches.
Sleeping to the sound of frogs. It just makes me think of summers with the frogs in the swamp behind our housing drowning the sounds of everything else out. Related, I love sleeping to football games on the radio or tv. Second most relaxing thing to sleep to.
During some winters I like to run barefoot through the snow for a little while. Not so much as I'm older now and the cold feels more painful.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2015, 02:14:10 PM »
For the anchovy lovers, the Asian store carries these hard fried, sweet, wasabi anchovies that are excellent with an IPA.

Liquid gasoline doesn't smell that great, but exhaust from an old tractor or boat motor smells wonderful.

Pipe tobacco smells great, cigarettes smell awful.

A damp basement smells great, reminds me of my grandparents house.

A station wagon built on a Corolla or Civic.  Seems like the hatchbacks (Fit, Matrix, etc) could really benefit from another foot or two of length that would cost next to nothing in terms of gas mileage.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2015, 06:05:32 PM »
Anyone else here enjoy Marmite (or Ultramite)? Given the number of kiwis/aussies/brits on the forums, I hoping I'm not alone.

Vegemite FTW.

But in Australia it's not considered 'things most other people might not like', it's the only thing we have that even slightly resembles national cuisine.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2015, 04:51:32 AM »

Wow. I've read many articles on rape culture but that one was new to me. Wow. Now I have an even deeper dislike and distrust of gender stereotypes.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2015, 09:34:29 AM »
I hate to admit it, but I love Spam. Not the email kind, the weird meat in a can kind!

I like imitation crab meat.