Author Topic: Things you hate  (Read 79351 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Things you hate
« Reply #300 on: November 15, 2018, 09:15:00 AM »
CATALOGS!!!!!

Good LORD, I cannot believe how many catalogs show up in my mailbox. I am not even a big consumer. I meticulously go online and submit requests to be removed from people's mailing lists -- several times a week, it seems -- but since businesses so routinely sell their lists to one another, there are days when I feel like I'll never, ever get to the end of it.

Not just catalogues.  Junk mail of all kind always makes me kinda angry.  I pick up my mail, go through all the stuff that's not addressed to me, and dump it straight in the recycle bin.  Then I go through the stuff that's addressed to me and dump all the ads straight in the recycle bin.  It's incredibly wasteful.

No kidding. I periodically will open the stuff that has postage paid envelopes inside it, stuff the material in, seal it, and send it back, just because it gives me a childish sense of vindication.

My ex-husband once taped one of those envelopes to a brick and dropped it off at the post office. It was a funny idea, but I doubt it ever arrived at its destination.

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #301 on: November 15, 2018, 09:18:18 AM »
CATALOGS!!!!!

Good LORD, I cannot believe how many catalogs show up in my mailbox. I am not even a big consumer. I meticulously go online and submit requests to be removed from people's mailing lists -- several times a week, it seems -- but since businesses so routinely sell their lists to one another, there are days when I feel like I'll never, ever get to the end of it.

Not just catalogues.  Junk mail of all kind always makes me kinda angry.  I pick up my mail, go through all the stuff that's not addressed to me, and dump it straight in the recycle bin.  Then I go through the stuff that's addressed to me and dump all the ads straight in the recycle bin.  It's incredibly wasteful.

Agree. I keep my email inboxes pristine by unsubscribing from anything not of interest. I should really do the same for the never-ending catalogs that come in through the mail.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #302 on: November 15, 2018, 09:18:37 AM »
I wonder if you can do 'return to sender'. Just yesterday I received about 8 catalogs in the mail. OMG!

Another thing I hate is when you do open those stupid catalogs they are stuffed with post card type things that fall all over the floor. GRRRR!!!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #303 on: November 15, 2018, 09:25:49 AM »
What bugs me isn't the junk mail itself, it's the waste.  Unfortunately, returning to sender just creates more waste . . . it doesn't address the problem.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #304 on: November 15, 2018, 09:30:47 AM »
What bugs me isn't the junk mail itself, it's the waste.  Unfortunately, returning to sender just creates more waste . . . it doesn't address the problem.

Completely agree. And on that note, I'm horrified and disgusted by the number of print catalogs I get from companies whose entire purported MO is environmental sustainability/justice, etc. Makes me absolutely rage.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #305 on: November 15, 2018, 09:34:45 AM »
I was getting a letter regularly from a hearing aid company that is about 20 miles away from me. I have no hearing problem and it really irritated me that this stupid letter kept coming and coming. I called the number inside the letter inviting me to a FREE hearing test to complain. I told them I am SICK of getting these stupid letters and want them to STOP! The lady was nice and assured me my name would be removed. So far, no more letters.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #306 on: November 15, 2018, 10:12:02 AM »
It's possible my parents could have inspired some of it had they done things differently, but I really have no idea what could have worked.

I'm no parenting expert (far from it), but it seems that the "This is what we're eating, and you will eat it too, if you're hungry" approach tends to work for kids. I mean, you don't see kids in third world countries starving to death because they don't like whatever awful food happens to be available.

Which leads me to... I hate the fact that our culture has become one of constant eating. I love food, but I really try to eat only when hungry and not use food as entertainment. The average American's day is pretty much one giant meal occasionally interrupted by an activity. We're surrounded by food, smells of food, discussions of food, and photos of food in ads. I've actually had to explain to people that they will be just fine if their next meal is delayed by a few hours. It won't do any physical harm! People panic when they start to feel real hunger because they're not used to feeling it and think something must be going very wrong!
I don't eat constantly, but I have definitely noticed that I get more distracted and irritable and bothered by smaller things when I haven't eaten in a few hours. My boyfriend has noticed as well, and we joke about him having to carry a granola bar in case I get upset over something minor. I'm usually a pretty happy and easy going person, but being hangry is real, so I always try to keep a snack on hand before I start snapping at people who don't deserve it, or messing up simple work because I can't concentrate as well. Maybe you can handle hunger better, and obviously if I was actually starving or unable to procure food it would be a different problem, but there can be real physical effects to being a bit hungry.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #307 on: November 15, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »
Hangry is a legit thing.

MNBen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #308 on: November 15, 2018, 11:15:26 AM »
CATALOGS!!!!!

I saw a lot of responses, so here are some resources to help get yourself off of mailing lists:

http://www.ecocycle.org/junkmail
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0262-stopping-unsolicited-mail-phone-calls-and-email

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #309 on: November 15, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »
It's possible my parents could have inspired some of it had they done things differently, but I really have no idea what could have worked.

I'm no parenting expert (far from it), but it seems that the "This is what we're eating, and you will eat it too, if you're hungry" approach tends to work for kids. I mean, you don't see kids in third world countries starving to death because they don't like whatever awful food happens to be available.

Which leads me to... I hate the fact that our culture has become one of constant eating. I love food, but I really try to eat only when hungry and not use food as entertainment. The average American's day is pretty much one giant meal occasionally interrupted by an activity. We're surrounded by food, smells of food, discussions of food, and photos of food in ads. I've actually had to explain to people that they will be just fine if their next meal is delayed by a few hours. It won't do any physical harm! People panic when they start to feel real hunger because they're not used to feeling it and think something must be going very wrong!
I don't eat constantly, but I have definitely noticed that I get more distracted and irritable and bothered by smaller things when I haven't eaten in a few hours. My boyfriend has noticed as well, and we joke about him having to carry a granola bar in case I get upset over something minor. I'm usually a pretty happy and easy going person, but being hangry is real, so I always try to keep a snack on hand before I start snapping at people who don't deserve it, or messing up simple work because I can't concentrate as well. Maybe you can handle hunger better, and obviously if I was actually starving or unable to procure food it would be a different problem, but there can be real physical effects to being a bit hungry.

But perhaps we get hangry because we've trained our bodies a certain way? I've also seen people get irritable when they don't have easy access to their smartphones, that's certainly not a natural reaction.

I think we can train ourselves to become irritable over any slight discomfort if we always give in to our discomfort much like any kid will become a brat if you give them what they want whenever they throw a fit. Your body throws a little fit, it gets what it wants.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: November 15, 2018, 12:20:10 PM »

But perhaps we get hangry because we've trained our bodies a certain way? I've also seen people get irritable when they don't have easy access to their smartphones, that's certainly not a natural reaction.

I think we can train ourselves to become irritable over any slight discomfort if we always give in to our discomfort much like any kid will become a brat if you give them what they want whenever they throw a fit. Your body throws a little fit, it gets what it wants.
Well I don't think irritability due to low blood sugar is necessarily my body throwing a fit, it's just sending natural signals about something it considers a problem. As long as I'm eating on a regular schedule, I don't think eating when I'm hungry is a problem that I need to solve by ignoring my body's cues. I will usually drink some water as a first resort, but I don't really see the point in purposely delaying a meal to train my body to get over being hungry. That could easily turn into disordered eating.
Of course, this would be a different issue if someone genuinely had an eating addiction or was constantly inhaling food. I eat three meals a day with one or two snacks in between, which is a perfectly healthy schedule, and I usually only get hangry when there's an unusually long stretch between feedings.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #311 on: November 15, 2018, 12:46:01 PM »

Well I don't think irritability due to low blood sugar is necessarily my body throwing a fit, it's just sending natural signals about something it considers a problem. As long as I'm eating on a regular schedule, I don't think eating when I'm hungry is a problem that I need to solve by ignoring my body's cues. I will usually drink some water as a first resort, but I don't really see the point in purposely delaying a meal to train my body to get over being hungry. That could easily turn into disordered eating.
Of course, this would be a different issue if someone genuinely had an eating addiction or was constantly inhaling food. I eat three meals a day with one or two snacks in between, which is a perfectly healthy schedule, and I usually only get hangry when there's an unusually long stretch between feedings.

I wasn't suggesting that it's a problem, just that the response of irritability to slight hunger pains is learned behavior that falls in line with what ketchup was saying. And of course every person is different, some people actually have an acute response to low blood sugar.

I wouldn't worry about occasional fasting turning into disordered eating, there's lots of evidence of health benefits and of all the studies I've seen there's never been any indication that temporary fasting can change eating patterns in an unhealthy way.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #312 on: November 15, 2018, 12:59:42 PM »
The old saying:

You have two choices for dinner

1. Take it
2. Or leave it

Ha. Wish I could use this on my picky eater. He has no feeling from his belly button down (born with spina bifida), and he's only 5, so we're not even sure that he perceives hunger in the same way that we do. He gained zero weight between 6 months and 2-1/2 years, so withholding food was not an option. We have made countless attempts to get him to eat healthier, and they've all ended in hours of crying and resentment, so we just do our best to accommodate his tastes (heavy on carbs and dairy, very few vegetables, and absolutely no fruit whatsoever) and get on with our lives. Frankly, it could be worse. Cheese quesadillas and peanut butter sandwiches are about the easiest foods possible to prepare.

I was a picky eater as a kid, too. The only veggies I ate until college were green beans and Irish potatoes. I grew out of it, and so will he. My daughter is an eclectic eater, but it's not because we forced her to try stuff. She's just naturally more inclined to try foods that she isn't familiar with.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #313 on: November 15, 2018, 01:09:29 PM »

I wasn't suggesting that it's a problem, just that the response of irritability to slight hunger pains is learned behavior that falls in line with what ketchup was saying. And of course every person is different, some people actually have an acute response to low blood sugar.

I wouldn't worry about occasional fasting turning into disordered eating, there's lots of evidence of health benefits and of all the studies I've seen there's never been any indication that temporary fasting can change eating patterns in an unhealthy way.

I've bonked a few times on long bike rides.  My body does weird things to my emotions when I get low blood sugar, things way beyond a little irritability.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #314 on: November 15, 2018, 01:28:23 PM »
(cutting for length)

There are actually studies that indicate that fasting can be a risk factor for disordered eating. Not always, and not in everyone, but there is a link there. For a person at a healthy weight, restricting calories or eating times is unnecessary and potentially harmful. For people with current or former eating disorders, fasting is downright dangerous, and for overweight individuals, fasting as a weight loss strategy should probably only be done with the supervision of a doctor.
That being said, I just meant to point out that hanger is real, going too long without food can cause it, and eating when you're hungry is probably the best way to go, instead of trying to train your body to ignore those cues as if eating is some sort of addiction, because it's not.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #315 on: November 16, 2018, 08:24:10 AM »
(cutting for length)

There are actually studies that indicate that fasting can be a risk factor for disordered eating. Not always, and not in everyone, but there is a link there. For a person at a healthy weight, restricting calories or eating times is unnecessary and potentially harmful. For people with current or former eating disorders, fasting is downright dangerous, and for overweight individuals, fasting as a weight loss strategy should probably only be done with the supervision of a doctor.
That being said, I just meant to point out that hanger is real, going too long without food can cause it, and eating when you're hungry is probably the best way to go, instead of trying to train your body to ignore those cues as if eating is some sort of addiction, because it's not.

citation link?

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #316 on: November 16, 2018, 09:38:35 AM »
(cutting for length)

citation link?
Not a study, but a discussion on why you shouldn't ignore hunger cues
http://nedic.ca/blog/your-hunger-not-meant-be-suppressed
A study that shows a link between fasting and bulimia
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2850570/
And this is about the link between religious fasting and eating disorders
https://www.scienceofeds.org/2015/04/10/not-so-fast-is-there-a-connection-between-religious-fasting-and-eating-disorders/

From what I can tell, it seems like fasting can be a trigger for an eating disorder for some people, but obviously not everyone who fasts will develop one.
If I can tie this back into the thread title, I hate how our culture pushes such a narrow beauty ideal and so much bad science on nutrition and eating habits to the point that people literally kill themselves and live miserable lives dieting to attain that ideal. I blame the processed food industry too for the disinformation and advertising they push to get people to eat their garbage products. I think the obesity issue and the eating disorder issue are both symptoms of a society that is fed conflicting ideas about how to eat well.
I hate how far removed most people's eating habits are from what is healthy and how it is perceived as too difficult or expensive to eat a diet of mostly whole natural foods prepared at home and shared among loved ones.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #317 on: November 16, 2018, 10:46:40 AM »
(cutting for length)

citation link?
Not a study, but a discussion on why you shouldn't ignore hunger cues
http://nedic.ca/blog/your-hunger-not-meant-be-suppressed
A study that shows a link between fasting and bulimia
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2850570/
And this is about the link between religious fasting and eating disorders
https://www.scienceofeds.org/2015/04/10/not-so-fast-is-there-a-connection-between-religious-fasting-and-eating-disorders/

From what I can tell, it seems like fasting can be a trigger for an eating disorder for some people, but obviously not everyone who fasts will develop one.
If I can tie this back into the thread title, I hate how our culture pushes such a narrow beauty ideal and so much bad science on nutrition and eating habits to the point that people literally kill themselves and live miserable lives dieting to attain that ideal. I blame the processed food industry too for the disinformation and advertising they push to get people to eat their garbage products. I think the obesity issue and the eating disorder issue are both symptoms of a society that is fed conflicting ideas about how to eat well.
I hate how far removed most people's eating habits are from what is healthy and how it is perceived as too difficult or expensive to eat a diet of mostly whole natural foods prepared at home and shared among loved ones.

ah, got it.  in the context of eating disorders, you don't want to encourage at-risk persons to stop eating.

i've mostly seen time restricted feeding and fasting in the context of athletic performance and as a way to reverse metabolic disease. 

i share your hate and disgust for the food/marketing/beauty industry.  i refuse to watch anything with commercials.  my daughter is 9 so she's about to be bombarded with toxic messaging from that segment of our society.  she hardly ever sees tv commercials so i'd say 80% of it will be averted, but you can't control what her friends are watching and repeating so i'm sure we'll have an ongoing conversation about image and all that.  thankfully she's a fully committed athlete, which keeps her busy and fit.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #318 on: November 16, 2018, 10:50:00 AM »
I hate it that they are showing Christmas commercials and Christmas music already. GRRRRRR!!!! Now for 6 weeks that is all we will hear.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #319 on: November 16, 2018, 10:53:44 AM »
I hate it that they are showing Christmas commercials and Christmas music already. GRRRRRR!!!! Now for 6 weeks that is all we will hear.

Not if you don't watch TV and avoid radio like I do from Nov - Jan every year.  Bah, humbug.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #320 on: November 16, 2018, 11:04:22 AM »

Not if you don't watch TV and avoid radio like I do from Nov - Jan every year.  Bah, humbug.

And Christmas music in general. My taste in music doesn't change with the seasons.

If we could limit it to carolers and Christmas day/eve that'd be great.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #321 on: November 16, 2018, 11:12:10 AM »

And Christmas music in general. My taste in music doesn't change with the seasons.

If we could limit it to carolers and Christmas day/eve that'd be great.

Yes, there are a couple hours every year (either on Christmas eve or Christmas morning) where certain types of Christmas music is appropriate.

Actually, no.

There's only one acceptable Christmas song . . . it's the Carol of the Bells, as performed by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.  That song can be played on repeat during those designated Christmas hours.

EricL

« Reply #322 on: November 16, 2018, 11:32:32 AM »
I call for a nationwide ban on The Little Drummer Boy in all its incarnations. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #323 on: November 16, 2018, 11:43:42 AM »
They play Christmas music in all the stores and it is beyond annoying. They think they are putting people in the spirit. They are putting me into anger mode. I DO NOT WANT to hear it! I have heard it all my life and enough is enough. Play it in your homes, not in public places unless people know it is going to be playing there.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #324 on: November 16, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »
They play Christmas music in all the stores and it is beyond annoying. They think they are putting people in the spirit. They are putting me into anger mode. I DO NOT WANT to hear it! I have heard it all my life and enough is enough. Play it in your homes, not in public places unless people know it is going to be playing there.
I got to hear someone outside the grocery store singing Jingle Bells yesterday.  You're a fine singer, but I don't need to hear that while I'm just trying to go in, buy my bananas and broccoli and GTFO.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #325 on: November 19, 2018, 03:42:21 AM »

I can so much recommend online shopping, especially for things like Christmas presents. Like on Black Friday I want to shop something in the hope that the price will be lowered. But I don't bother visiting the physical shop. At home I don't hear the Christmas music (sound on PC is by default turned off) and I don't have to bother with lots of other customers.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #326 on: November 19, 2018, 08:10:42 PM »
People who talk in a movie theater!

The rest of us paid our admission fees and there's a pretty good chance that we came to actually SEE THE MOVIE. Not listen to a couple of gal pals who are chattering away mindlessly and discussing who texted them 3 seconds ago. While rustling their way through a $14 bag of Milk Duds. SHUT UP.

Generally you could consider me pretty much of a pacifist. But talking during a movie should be considered a felony, punishable by a year in a silent Buddhist monastery.

EricL

« Reply #327 on: November 20, 2018, 01:56:17 AM »

The rest of us paid our admission fees and there's a pretty good chance that we came to actually SEE THE MOVIE. Not listen to a couple of gal pals who are chattering away mindlessly and discussing who texted them 3 seconds ago. While rustling their way through a $14 bag of Milk Duds. SHUT UP.

Generally you could consider me pretty much of a pacifist. But talking during a movie should be considered a felony, punishable by a year in a silent Buddhist monastery.

Why would you plague innocent monks and nuns with people like that?  Lock them in a cell for a month and play The Little Drummer Boy 24/7.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #328 on: November 20, 2018, 07:32:23 AM »

Funny bit from Tom Segura:

"If you bring a baby into a movie theater, you're a piece of shit. If your reason for doing it is that you couldn't get a babysitter, then you don't get to go to the movies."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOQjJ3lCfpQ

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #329 on: November 20, 2018, 08:17:15 AM »
Why do people bring babies to car races or baseball or football games where there is danger and too much noise for a babies ears?

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #330 on: November 20, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »
Why do people bring babies to car races or baseball or football games where there is danger and too much noise for a babies ears?
Well when they do they usually put ear protection on the baby, and it's not exactly that dangerous to be a spectator at an event like that. Maybe people want to go do activities and not have to worry about leaving their babies at home, and they want to share something they enjoy with their new little human. It's not like babies need to be kept in isolation for their first few years. (Purely speculating, I don't have any children, but it doesn't bother me to see them out in public)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #331 on: November 23, 2018, 12:30:33 PM »
I bought a new Sony phone and tried to transfer all my stuff from my old Samsung phone. That doesn't work. I have managed to transfer about half of the contacts. The rest is on my Samsung account instead of om my sim card.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #332 on: November 27, 2018, 05:43:36 AM »

Big one for me and why i wont go to the movies anymore. Between that and the food crunching its just gotten ridiculous or I am just getting old! probably combination of both. Besides most movies are not worth not waiting for to come out at redbox, netflix or?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Things you hate (no more)
« Reply #333 on: November 27, 2018, 07:45:49 AM »
Somewhere higher up in this thread I probably complained about technical issues at my job that didn't work.
The two browser-based programs that I use most all the time, didn't work when I take my laptop out of it's docking station. Madness: I have put up with that for 4 years.
But suddenly today, in a meeting with 2 co-workers, I found out it was working for both of them. I checked my own laptop, and it worked there as well. So now I can finally take my laptop to a meeting room and do some work, instead of logging in through Citrix or other badly working solutions.
So one of my major hate-issues at work has finally disappeared!
The person who made the change could have sent out an email about the improvement though, but all in all I am very pleased about it.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #334 on: November 28, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »

KEEP CHRI$T IN XMA$.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #335 on: November 30, 2018, 02:30:49 PM »
GRRRRRR, I just went over to a town that is about 8 miles away from my house. I live on an extremely windy State road but it is only two narrow lanes. The speed limit is 30-35 miles an hour (it changes) and even less, 20 miles per hour on certain elbow curves. It does NOT matter how fast I travel on that road someone tailgates me. Today I went around 40 miles per hour which is 10 MPH over the posted speed limit. Can anyone tell me what is the mentality of tail gaters? This is a very dangerous curvy narrow road. I have seen people drive on it going probably 65 MPH. I really don't know how they navigate these sharp curves. Many do have crashes on this road and telephone poles get hit all the time. Why is there never a cop around when tailgaters are tailgating? This isn't the only road I get tailgated on. It seems everywhere people are so obnoxious and disregard all driving rules. Not to mention we have deer and wild turkeys that can be in the road at any given moment. I am surprised there aren't dead bodies all over the roads from accidents.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 09:15:09 AM by Roadrunner53 »

blackomen

• Stubble
  • Antifragile since 1983
    • Gimme Serendipity (a Stumbleupon Clone)
« Reply #336 on: December 02, 2018, 08:17:46 AM »
I am despising shipping methods. I am trying to organize my house and I have been purchasing some different type of organizers. Some of the stuff is taking two weeks or more to get here. Some come directly from China and that takes weeks and weeks. This Smart Post delivery is the worst. By the time I get the items I have kind of forgotten what I bought them for. I did tracking on some of my packages and they made around 15 stops to get to CT. Seems we are going backwards in delivery service instead of forward. Like the stuff is coming by mule train. If companies use the Post Office I find the items arrive very quickly. Any other method is so slow!

Another reason I don't buy cheap stuff shipped directly from China (or any other place overseas) to save a few bucks.  On Ebay, I'll even filter out anything that doesn't ship from North America.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #337 on: December 03, 2018, 02:33:10 AM »
GRRRRRR, I just went over to a town that is about 8 miles away from my house. I live on an extremely windy State road but it is only two narrow lanes. The speed limit is 30-35 miles an hour (it changes) and even less, 20 miles per hour on certain elbow curves. It does NOT matter how fast I travel on that road someone tailgates me. Today I went around 40 miles per hour which is 10 MPH over the posted speed limit. Can anyone tell me what is the mentality of tail gaters? This is a very dangerous curvy narrow road. I have seen people drive on it going probably 65 MPH. I really don't know how they navigate these sharp curves. Many do have crashes on this road and telephone poles get hit all the time. Why is there never a cop around when tailgaters are tailgating? This isn't the only road I get tailgated on. It seems everywhere people are so obnoxious and disregard all driving rules. Not to mention we have deer and wild turkeys that can be in the road at any given moment. I am surprised there aren't dead bodies all over the roads from accidents.

+1. Many people drive far above the speed limit. And some of them end up with their car wrapped up around a streetlight pole. Some others end up killing someone else.
I try to drive responsibly (slow enough) on roads in my neighbourhood with 30 km/h limit. But indeed, there is always a car tailgating me and passing me as soon as there is a chance.

On particularly dangerous roads, the road owner could/should set up speed cameras or even devices that measure average speed over a distance, if such things are allowed in your country. Can't you request for a speed camera to be set up?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #338 on: December 03, 2018, 08:12:02 AM »
Coconuts. The flavor is not good, the texture is terrible. I can eat most anything but its the one thing I put my foot down about.

Linda in Norway: avoid the review articles about phones. I found that they nitpicked details no normal person would worry about. Same as the car magazine articles about new cars. The article is a blend of the manufacturer's press release (the positives) and then perhaps one or two nit picky negative opinions that the writer relies on to prove that they are being objective.

If you want an Android device look at the Asus Zenfone series. I bought an older version 3. Its been great. Nice camera and display, good free apps from the manufacturer, long battery life, etc.

These are so frustrating. "Wellll, I really don't like the way you can see finger smudges on the metal backing so there's definitely some cons... but here's 17 AMAZING things about this phone!"

Fun Fact: When you find one of those reviews that has one very miniscule negative point and then multiple positive points, it is likely a paid review.  They write them that way so as not to catch Amazon/Ebay/Whatevers attention but to still provide a ranking boost for the company who is paying them.

Maybe you were already saying this and I lost it in the thread, but I just thought I'd mention that.

Thanks. You're right!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #339 on: December 03, 2018, 08:14:22 AM »
I rarely go to Whole Foods, but occasionally I need something I can't find elsewhere. I assume it's some sort of corporate rule, because in two different states now, the cashiers have asked me if I "have any fun plans for today/tonight/this weekend." Typically it's just a regular day for me, so no, I don't. I almost feel like I should make something up! "The Queen is coming to dinner" or "Yes, I'm so excited to go home and organize my sock drawer!" I understand they're trying to be friendly, but it feels like prying. "Hello" would be sufficient.

You could try the response I would use:

"Nope."

99.9% effective . . . 

:P

Oh yes, tonight we are having a group ritual murder of the neighbor's cat. We'll roast him over a fire and then eat him...

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #340 on: December 03, 2018, 08:21:21 AM »
I hate it when I am trying to read an on line paper and these damn pop ups keep interrupting me! STUPID advertisements. I will never to go to the restaurants that pop up. Or when they force you to watch an advertisement for 30 seconds before you can 'skip' out of it! I refuse to watch it! STUPID!

Install these in your browser: EFF HTTPS, EFF Badger, uBlock Origin. Badger and Origin do some of the same things but they don't conflict.

They pretty much take care of all the popups, simplify the ads on a website, and make life better. They are from trusted software sources.

I don't mind websites making a living but some are really obnoxious. I avoid websites that are that intrusive. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #341 on: December 03, 2018, 08:22:39 AM »
Raw tomatoes are the Devil.  Except - for some damn reason - in Turkey (the country).
I'll agree, but with the exception of thinly sliced on a burger or salad.  But nowhere else.

They are damn good in caprese salads though...

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #342 on: December 03, 2018, 08:30:30 AM »
Raw tomatoes are the Devil.  Except - for some damn reason - in Turkey (the country).
I'll agree, but with the exception of thinly sliced on a burger or salad.  But nowhere else.

They are damn good in caprese salads though...

Hell yeah!

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #343 on: December 03, 2018, 01:13:08 PM »
I hate empty promises.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #344 on: December 03, 2018, 01:19:36 PM »

Completely agree. And on that note, I'm horrified and disgusted by the number of print catalogs I get from companies whose entire purported MO is environmental sustainability/justice, etc. Makes me absolutely rage.

If anyone else has a compost worm farm, I can happily report that our worms eat up a decent amount of our junk mail (particularly those newsprint circulars that we can never seem to get rid of).  Great for controlling moisture when they get a little soggy.

EricL

« Reply #345 on: December 03, 2018, 05:31:33 PM »

If anyone else has a compost worm farm, I can happily report that our worms eat up a decent amount of our junk mail (particularly those newsprint circulars that we can never seem to get rid of).  Great for controlling moisture when they get a little soggy.

Oddly, I've never received catalogues in the mail.  But I have heard you can take them and other junk mail and turn them into logs.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Cook-Using-Junk-Mail-Make-Paper-Logs-Burn-in-a-Roc/

And if your house is designed for it, heat it with a rocket stove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYJyxptclos

Jtrey17

• Stubble
« Reply #346 on: December 09, 2018, 08:49:55 AM »

I have been thinking of starting composting for a while now-can I hear more about worm composting?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #347 on: December 09, 2018, 10:07:46 AM »
I placed an order November 27th. The items shipped from Texas. I have been tracking the shipment and it arrived to my town in CT on December 5th. I should have gotten it the next day but NOPE, it sat at the PO till December 8th and then went to Vermont! WTF? The location is 4 hours north of my town. So Monday it will be 13 days from time of order IF by chance it arrives here. Post Office blew it. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!

This shipping crap is really irking me. Anyone getting delivery from Laser Ship? Walmart uses it and they are the worst! Packages arrive at odd hours and late at night. They place giant boxes in front of your front door so you can't even open the door! With this cold weather if you order something liquid it will freeze if you don't know the package is out there. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #348 on: December 09, 2018, 02:36:15 PM »
I hate: The architectural " style" that has the garage as the major/ only feature. I've been in residential neighborhoods that looked like industrial alleyways.   
I understand tight lots, but would pushing the garage back a few feet really be that much of a problem?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #349 on: December 10, 2018, 12:37:21 AM »
I have been thinking of starting composting for a while now-can I hear more about worm composting?

You don't necessarily need the worms. We have a large composting bin in the garden that is insulated on the outside and on the top. It is animal proof. We just add greens from the kitchen and from the garden. From time to time we stir the top layer around with a small pitchfork. If it is too humid, we add some sawdust from a bag that came with the bin. It works very well. Within half a year, the lower half turns to earth. This has happened several times already. We can take the earth it out from below. We bought the bin secondhand for a low price. It does smell a bit in the summer, when the decaying process goes fast. So it should be in a place where it doesn't bother you or your neighbours.