Author Topic: Things you hate  (Read 79348 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Things you hate
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2018, 11:20:19 AM »
I really hate the custom of saying "bless you" after a sneeze. Mainly because it puts the sneezer in the awkward situation of having to say "thank you" while they are likely gearing up for another sneeze.

Alternatively I hate feeling the obligation to say "bless you"! It is kind of dumb. When I was a kid my dad would try to make it funny by trying to make us "lose" a sneeze, usually by doing a really exaggerated fake sneeze.

Somehow, in our family it's become a joke to say, "May God smite you in his mercy" when one of us sneezes. "God smite you" for short.

Unfortunately, we've been doing it so long that now when I'm out in public it's really hard not to just do it as a reflex. :D

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2018, 11:43:02 AM »
It bothers me that US Citizens aren't more educated about World Geography, or even the US Territories, outside of basically trying to learn the 50 United States...

Right now the islands of Saipan and Tinian (~50,000 population) are being hit by one of the largest storms ever on the planet - Super Typhoon Yutu - with sustained winds of 180+ mph and gusts 200+ mph.

These are not only US Territories (US Citizens) but I think the general US public is so misinformed, I can't even find it on any common news sources.

Younger me meeting someone abroad:

Person: I'm from Georgia.
Me in my head: Whoa sounds like they're from Russia, not Georgia (The state)

*Facepalm younger self*

Me traveling around US...

Person:  Where are you from?
Me:  Minnesota

Me traveling abroad for first time...

Person:  Where are you from?
Me:  Minnesota

*Facepalm younger self*

Funny, I never had any problems identifying myself as a resident of a US state when speaking with people abroad. Maybe certain states are just better known to non-US residents?

Depends on the location for me. When I went to New Zealand in 2003, I started off by introducing myself as from "the United States" under the assumption that they wouldn't know all the U.S. states. I quickly noticed that everyone inquired about the state I was from, so I just started saying I was from Georgia. Many of my acquaintances would further ask about where I was from in Georgia, which really surprised me. Most knew where Atlanta was, and several actually knew where Savannah was (which was only about an hour from where I grew up). It was really obvious that Kiwis were far better-versed in our geography that we were in theirs. Basically the same thing happens when I've travelled to Europe. I say I'm from Georgia, and only once or twice has someone been confused about whether I meant the state or the country.

On the other hand, when I visit Latin American countries, I introduce myself as from the "Estados Unidos", and 80-90% of the people will be satisfied with that answer. For those who want specifics, I'm happy to divulge.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2018, 10:52:31 PM »
Today I hate perverts on the train who use the excuse that it's crowded to lean back against your chest and private parts and start rubbing when the train bumps slightly on the tracks.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2018, 11:46:46 PM »
I hate when DH's watch starts to go off in alarm modus at 6:30 am on my day off. Even more so when DH is not home and I don't know how to turn it off. Tonight I will put it in another part of the house.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2018, 07:34:05 AM »
Today I hate perverts on the train who use the excuse that it's crowded to lean back against your chest and private parts and start rubbing when the train bumps slightly on the tracks.

Upgrade the belt on your pants and shoulder bag.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2018, 07:55:10 AM »

I no longer ride the train on a regular basis, but that used to happen to me, too.

Eventually I got really fed up. After that, whenever it happened, I would turn around, look the person in the face and loudly yell, for everyone else to hear, "Will you please stop using the fact that this train is crowded as an excuse to rub your penis against me, you disgusting pervert?!?"

It was a very effective means of stopping the behavior.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2018, 08:40:31 AM »

Where is this?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2018, 08:46:36 AM »

Where is this?

Every crowded train with women on it.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2018, 09:06:17 AM »

Where is this?

Every crowded train with women on it.

This blows. I'm over here annoyed just when someone leaves their backpack on and it hits you everytime they back up and they can't feel it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2018, 12:22:15 PM »
This blows. I'm over here annoyed just when someone leaves their backpack on and it hits you everytime they back up and they can't feel it.

Very familiar. I am so glad I don't need to take the train anymore.

foobaz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2018, 10:12:17 PM »
I hate how when I open a website to read the news, it's dominated by one particular politician every single day. I used to enjoy reading news, now it just makes me agitated.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: October 27, 2018, 04:50:27 AM »

Upgrade the belt on your pants and shoulder bag.

LOL. Thanks, I needed that. Going to sew a patch like that on the arms of my coat and on my backpack as well. That’s brilliant!

Parton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: October 27, 2018, 11:05:52 PM »
There are a lot of things that get out of the rut and make you nervous, but there is nothing that you could not cope with. The only thing that pisses me off is human qualities such as irresponsibility, self-interest, not sincerity, etc.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2018, 01:21:53 PM »
Today I went to the grocery store and the cashier was SO annoying! I bought these nylon shower scrubbies and she went on to lecture me to wash them. That people touch them and they fall on the floor and they get germs on them! OMG! She was picking them up by the tag like they were infected with small pox!

Then I asked her to pack the cold stuff in my insulated bag and she put apples in first thing and I told her they weren't COLD. She had a long explanation on why she thought they should go in there. Then I had hamburger meat which I had already placed in a plastic bag to guard from leaking and she asked if I wanted it into another bag. I said yes but just to shut her up. She kept asking me if she was doing okay. I said yes. She kept talking and talking and wanted me to answer her. She was slow as molasses and the line in back of me grew and grew. Then when we were all done, she asked me if I wanted her to check on the hamburger meat she packed to see if it was okay. I have no idea what this nit wit was talking about but she would not shut up! Still she asked me if she was doing okay. I said YES but I just about ran out of the store screaming! My only explanation of all this is that she was in trouble for not being jolly with the customers and she was going over the deep end with this crap! I really wanted to use some foul language and tell her to shut the you know what up! This wasn't just idle chit chat it was total idiotic nonsense! UGH! Who checks the hamburger meat in your bag when it was already packed and at the bottom of the bag?

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2018, 01:29:05 PM »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2018, 01:33:36 PM »
Celery

+1
Raw celery, yes.  Cooked celery is excellent though.  (Same rule applies to broccoli.  I'll eat 2+lbs of roasted broccoli straight off the pan if you let me, but I'll only have a few bites of it raw.)

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2018, 01:57:54 PM »
I hate water bottles too, maybe for a different reason.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/operations/2012/06/poland_spring_s_new_bottles_why_are_they_so_thin_and_flimsy_.html

Like you said, companies are trying to save money but I'm all for minimizing the plastic waste they create. If these little bottles are miserable, you should get something reusable.

I do use a stainless steel to go thermal bottle but once in a while I do drink out of a water bottle. Really, water bottles are controversial but think of all the other plastic out there. Juice, frozen fruit in plastic bags, cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese in plastic bags, soda, just about everything in the grocery store has some kind of plastic, even bread and milk.
If those other items were available from my tap I'd happily forego buying them in plastic containers.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #169 on: October 31, 2018, 06:37:10 PM »
Celery

+1

+2

why does celery exist? And why do people pay money for it?

You people are monsters.  Celery with the little trench stuffed with peanut butter is one of the highlights of gourmet flavour.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2018, 07:07:33 PM »
Celery

+1

+2

You people are monsters.  Celery with the little trench stuffed with peanut butter is one of the highlights of gourmet flavour.

no no no!! peanut butter doesn't deserve to be treated that way! I never understood this flavor combo, and my mom packed "ants on a log" for me all the time for school lunch. yuck!

Sloeginfizz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2018, 07:38:00 PM »
Peanut butter? Ugh. Why would you put that loathsome foul sludge on lovely, crunchy celery.

Also, besides peanut butter, I hate bananas.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: October 31, 2018, 08:44:21 PM »
I come to this forum because I value the opinions of its members. This thread makes me question that.

Celery, peanut butter, bananas, and raisins, in any combination, are all excellent foodstuffs.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2018, 09:27:44 PM »
I really hate the custom of saying "bless you" after a sneeze. Mainly because it puts the sneezer in the awkward situation of having to say "thank you" while they are likely gearing up for another sneeze.

Alternatively I hate feeling the obligation to say "bless you"! It is kind of dumb. When I was a kid my dad would try to make it funny by trying to make us "lose" a sneeze, usually by doing a really exaggerated fake sneeze.

Somehow, in our family it's become a joke to say, "May God smite you in his mercy" when one of us sneezes. "God smite you" for short.

Unfortunately, we've been doing it so long that now when I'm out in public it's really hard not to just do it as a reflex. :D

"God smite you," gonna have to steal that!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #174 on: November 01, 2018, 03:57:13 AM »
Not sure if celery should be on the hate list. Celery has some things beneficial to health: https://www.care2.com/greenliving/11-super-health-benefits-in-just-1-celery-stalk.html

Chefs use these combos in a lot of tasty foods:

Mirepoix: Onions, celery, carrots.

Holy Trinity: Onions, celery, green bell peppers.

Other tasty uses of celery:

Celery with cream cheese.

Celery in a bloody Mary.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #175 on: November 01, 2018, 05:46:20 AM »
I used hate the first day back to work after a long vacation. I went kicking and screaming back into hell!

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2018, 06:12:02 AM »
Celery

+1

+2

+3
I got the chills just now when I READ the word 'Celery.'

EW.
*Cooked it is moderately tolerable, but barely.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2018, 06:26:38 AM »
The fact that it takes a full minute for someone using a card to go through all the beeps when checking out at a store. Beep. Wait. Push key. Wait. Beep. Wait. Press dig pen on something. Wait. Stare at screen. OK, a full minute went by, finally done. Only took 20 seconds to ring it up and bag it, then a full minute with the beeping, which is supposed to make things faster, not slower. Paying with cash takes about 10 seconds. 

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2018, 06:43:22 AM »
Cooked celery?  How do you dip it in ranch or bleu cheese, then?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2018, 07:09:01 AM »
Cooked celery?  How do you dip it in ranch or bleu cheese, then?
Even raw celery doesn't deserve to be ruined by ranch or bleu cheese.

/ducks

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2018, 07:36:37 AM »
The fact that it takes a full minute for someone using a card to go through all the beeps when checking out at a store. Beep. Wait. Push key. Wait. Beep. Wait. Press dig pen on something. Wait. Stare at screen. OK, a full minute went by, finally done. Only took 20 seconds to ring it up and bag it, then a full minute with the beeping, which is supposed to make things faster, not slower. Paying with cash takes about 10 seconds.

Also all of the variations of the machines for card processing. Can we just get some monopolization already? Thx.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2018, 12:03:13 PM »
I come to this forum because I value the opinions of its members. This thread makes me question that.

Celery, peanut butter, bananas, and raisins, in any combination, are all excellent foodstuffs.
Since you brought it up, celery is fine, but raisins are horrible. Grapes with all the joy sucked out of them. Few things are sadder than finding baked goods defiled by raisins. It's like baking dead flies into your cookies.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2018, 01:09:11 PM »

Since you brought it up, celery is fine, but raisins are horrible. Grapes with all the joy sucked out of them. Few things are sadder than finding baked goods defiled by raisins. It's like baking dead flies into your cookies.
Totally agree.  I hate it when people ruin a perfectly good cookie by putting raisins in it.  Disgusting.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »

Totally agree.  I hate it when people ruin a perfectly good cookie by putting raisins in it.  Disgusting.

+1000.

WTH is wrong with people who make oatmeal raisin cookies? Oatmeal chocolate chip is delicious. Why would you ruin a perfectly good cookie like that?

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2018, 01:34:20 PM »

+1000.

WTH is wrong with people who make oatmeal raisin cookies? Oatmeal chocolate chip is delicious. Why would you ruin a perfectly good cookie like that?

Because health. Kinda like Diet Coke with your fries haha.

I will accept "craisins" or dried cranberries on cookies though, at least they have a sort of interesting taste, especially paired with orange zest.

I once had the displeasure of eating carrot cake that had raisins instead of nuts. What a rip-off that was!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2018, 02:02:42 PM »
I like raisins sometimes.  You get tired of them a lot quicker than chocolate chips, and if you're not expecting them they're pretty horrible but they have their place (in oatmeal with cinnamon, oatmeal raisin cookies, pumpkin muffins, etc.).  As my age has climbed up, I've noticed that raisin tolerance has increased significantly.

Can we all agree to hate on Christmas cake though?

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: November 01, 2018, 02:04:58 PM »
^If you're talking fruitcake hell yeah. Otherwise not sure what "Christmas cake" might be.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2018, 07:47:40 AM »
^If you're talking fruitcake hell yeah. Otherwise not sure what "Christmas cake" might be.

Does everyone not call it Christmas cake?  The bricks of stuff that nobody eats that your grandma gives you every Christmas?

Is this a Canadian thing?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2018, 07:55:41 AM »

Does everyone not call it Christmas cake?  The bricks of stuff that nobody eats that your grandma gives you every Christmas?

Yeah. Americans call it fruitcake.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2018, 08:05:09 AM »

Yeah. Americans call it fruitcake.

Christmas cake may be a little different than the US fruit cake, recipes for the fruit cake vary but it typically looks more like:

Also, it's delicious so they must not be the same thing.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2018, 08:11:59 AM »
My mom actually loves Christmas cake so much so my sister and I always get her some. But no one else will eat it, we hate it.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2018, 08:44:56 AM »
I hate when people post GIANT pictures in a thread that I can't see without scrolling right.

Also, is there any way to resize? plz help

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2018, 09:03:59 AM »
I hate when people post GIANT pictures in a thread that I can't see without scrolling right.

Also, is there any way to resize? plz help

Maybe just link to the photo for anyone who is super curious, or find a new photo? Or Google "resize my photo"

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2018, 04:02:13 PM »
Spent over 2 hours on new cover letter.  Formatted it to perfection thanks to some of the kindly folks here.  Apply for job at Indeed and click on "submit cover letter" button.  No option to submit a file, noooooo.......copy and paste!!!  Ack!  In addition, I had to undo ALL the formatting.  The bullet points, the header, and all the random returns Indeed places in the middle of paragraphs for unknown reasons.  Well here's to hoping I get the job haha! 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: November 05, 2018, 01:11:42 AM »
On Thursday I spent an hour on filling out my online application to get travel expenses covered at work. Today I was supposed to just add one more receipt. And my saved application was gone from the system. Had to start from scratch again, specifying each small amount with date and different valuta. Another press on the button to save in between again erased my application, so I needed to start over again after halfway.
I hate buggy software and I hate filling out very detailed travel bills.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #195 on: November 05, 2018, 07:11:34 AM »
On Thursday I spent an hour on filling out my online application to get travel expenses covered at work. Today I was supposed to just add one more receipt. And my saved application was gone from the system. Had to start from scratch again, specifying each small amount with date and different valuta. Another press on the button to save in between again erased my application, so I needed to start over again after halfway.
I hate buggy software and I hate filling out very detailed travel bills.

I hate it when the cost of the time it takes to fill out an online travel expense report ends up exceeding the cost being claimed on the travel.  :P

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #196 on: November 05, 2018, 09:04:22 AM »

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #197 on: November 05, 2018, 12:24:32 PM »
Not sure if celery should be on the hate list. Celery has some things beneficial to health: https://www.care2.com/greenliving/11-super-health-benefits-in-just-1-celery-stalk.html

Chefs use these combos in a lot of tasty foods:

Mirepoix: Onions, celery, carrots.

Holy Trinity: Onions, celery, green bell peppers.

Other tasty uses of celery:

Celery with cream cheese.

Celery in a bloody Mary.

Chopped up in tuna salad!

And, stuffed with braunschweiger! 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #198 on: November 05, 2018, 12:43:32 PM »
I hate it when someone steals things from your yard. Earlier this year we had our awning installed, shortly afterwards we noticed that the cement alligator statues we had in our bark mulch were missing. We had those things for years and just loved them. There are only two companies that come into our back yard and one is the awning company two times a year to put up and take down and the oil delivery people. I am leaning towards the awning guys because they hire seasonal temp guys. My guess is that they came back at nighttime and took them. The statues laid close to the ground and no one could possibly see them unless you come into the back yard. Can't prove anything but it makes me MAD! GRRRRRR!!!!

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #199 on: November 06, 2018, 10:58:38 AM »
this will be controversial, but it's true:
i fucking LOVE fruitcake.  and i HATE bread pudding if it doesn't have raisins in it!  it must have raisins or it's shit.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!