Author Topic: Things you hate  (Read 79344 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Things you hate
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2018, 01:10:55 AM »
Hardware of software not working as expected. Like things that worked the day or the week before that now don't, for whatever reason. Happens frequently at work, but occasionally also at home.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2018, 05:25:28 AM »
Hardware of software not working as expected. Like things that worked the day or the week before that now don't, for whatever reason. Happens frequently at work, but occasionally also at home.
This is why I have a job! :D

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2018, 09:14:14 PM »
Hate to waste food. Because of my unpredictable room mate, significant amounts of cooked food ends up in fridge and I had to eat it out. Rather I’d cook and eat something fresh.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:37:34 AM by FamilyGuy »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2018, 10:33:06 AM »
I was at Half-Priced books a few years ago and bought a Leonard Cohen album I'd never heard of before called "Death of A Salesman."

It is truly awful. We're talking 1970's film project music awful. I considered trying to make back the money I spent by wager other people that they would be unable to listen to it without using the FF button at least once.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2018, 09:32:35 PM »
One way and if someone is way below the speed limit. I am okay if they are old people. But not the ones talking on mobile phones. It often happens at my commute.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2018, 09:51:56 PM »
I was at Half-Priced books a few years ago and bought a Leonard Cohen album I'd never heard of before called "Death of A Salesman."

It is truly awful. We're talking 1970's film project music awful. I considered trying to make back the money I spent by wager other people that they would be unable to listen to it without using the FF button at least once.

Maybe you got a bootleg or something, because I'm pretty sure no Leonard Cohen album by that name exists...

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2018, 11:18:52 PM »
^Perhaps it was Death of a Ladies Man.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2018, 12:17:04 PM »
Death of a Ladies' Man is probably his worst album

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2018, 12:36:59 PM »
MLMs. I know there's a thread where everyone bashes these things, but now I hate em. I contacted a former supervisor of mine to see if he'd be willing to be listed as a reference in my job search, he said yep and would help me out with my resume if needed. Well, that was great then he invited me to his office. I had a sneaking feeling he was into MLM BS because he once told me he was into sales but wouldn't say what he was selling. Go there, and was pitched by him and his "boss" or whatever they call him. Thankfully I was able to stop em and end it before it took too much of my time... No help on the resume and now he and his boss have my info. Ack!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2018, 11:24:17 AM »
Having to drive the long way to work, because the short road is closed. And on the long way they are also doing roadworks and today I had to wait for 15! minutes before my direction was prioritized on the one way stretch.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2018, 11:31:26 AM »
My town has one main bridge which is the closest for me to cross over the river. It is a two lane old bridge from the 1950's. It is a huge bottle neck and even if we had 4 lanes (2 coming and 2 going) the traffic is so heavy there still would be no where to go. We have two other bridges and they are also two lane bridges but the traffic is much less. However, they are both out of the way in both directions. I hate traffic.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2018, 09:07:36 PM »
Having to drive the long way to work, because the short road is closed. And on the long way they are also doing roadworks and today I had to wait for 15! minutes before my direction was prioritized on the one way stretch.

I have the same issue. My commute is already long enough with a school on the way. Now there is a road construction going on and it is one-way. They had to manually stop one lane and let another. This has been going for a while now.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2018, 03:36:27 AM »
People going the wrong way in a one-way bike lane.
People blowing cigarette smoke in your face.
People cutting in front of you without looking at traffic when biking.
People who stop at the bottom/top of the escalator in the subway station during rush hour.
People on scooters and motorcycles who like to wait until they are directly beside you to honk loudly right in your ear.
People who like to stand in the middle of the bike lane while waiting for the lights to change.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2018, 04:08:09 AM »
I hate it when the baggers at the grocery store put 100 lbs. of groceries in one bag. Or put the bread in with a gallon of milk and the bread gets squashed. I do not understand how this job is so difficult. I would pack like items, produce together, cold stuff together, dairy together or with the cold items. Most times when I unload the groceries in my car, I have to repack, especially the cold stuff in the summer. UGH!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2018, 07:49:10 AM »
People passing you on the pavement, in opposite direction, while coughing without holding anything in front of their face.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2018, 07:57:10 AM »
I hate it when the baggers at the grocery store put 100 lbs. of groceries in one bag. Or put the bread in with a gallon of milk and the bread gets squashed. I do not understand how this job is so difficult. I would pack like items, produce together, cold stuff together, dairy together or with the cold items. Most times when I unload the groceries in my car, I have to repack, especially the cold stuff in the summer. UGH!
Some are extremely good at their job and pack everything sanely. 

Some put bananas and potatoes on top of the lettuce and tomatoes.  Some find a way to use more bags than items purchased (or double bag EVERYTHING).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2018, 08:05:15 AM »
Tics. I had to remove 2 out of my legs last night (tuesday evening).

Last time I was in the forest was on Sunday with long trousers on. How they get into my legs is not clear, but I suspect my sanitary visits in the forest might be the cause.

I am currently in the process of getting a series of vaccines against tic brain infection. But this won't help against the borrelia infection they can cause we well.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2018, 09:33:34 AM »

I looked it up, and you're correct on the name. Thanks for setting me straight.

I cannot even find that disk right now, a fact that should make me grateful. I remember the cover photo, with him sitting in between two women who look so unhappy to even be in that photo. It's like the whole project is radio-active or something. That album wasn't release, it probably just escaped.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2018, 01:35:10 PM »
People who plant landscaping along the side of the road in a place that makes it hard to see if any traffic is coming.  You have to stick the nose of your car into the traffic lane to be able to get a view, and at that point you're in the way and may cause an accident.  I have a fantasy about driving around town with a chainsaw late at night and hacking down all the bushes that are too close to the roadside.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2018, 01:39:14 PM »
Tics. I had to remove 2 out of my legs last night (tuesday evening).

Last time I was in the forest was on Sunday with long trousers on. How they get into my legs is not clear, but I suspect my sanitary visits in the forest might be the cause.

I am currently in the process of getting a series of vaccines against tic brain infection. But this won't help against the borrelia infection they can cause we well.

I've done a fair bit of hiking and have had better luck wearing shorts than with pants. Possibly harder to grasp skin than cloth? Just anecdotal though.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2018, 07:54:15 PM »

I looked it up, and you're correct on the name. Thanks for setting me straight.

I cannot even find that disk right now, a fact that should make me grateful. I remember the cover photo, with him sitting in between two women who look so unhappy to even be in that photo. It's like the whole project is radio-active or something. That album wasn't release, it probably just escaped.
Here is a fun fact: it appears Cohen has just had a 2015 poem posthumously published about Kanye West. Filed under "not even bad"

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2018, 03:16:46 AM »
Today, I hate people who weave left...right...left...right...while biking in the wrong direction down a one-way bike lane.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2018, 08:09:03 AM »
I don't do enough biking, but participating with this group has conditioned me so that--whenever I see someone biking--I think to myself, "There goes a millionaire!"

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2018, 02:41:37 PM »
I placed an on line order on October 9th. Got the email confirming my order. Never got a tracking number. Then on October 17th was informed the stuff was shipped and was coming SurePost. It is due to be delivered October 24th! Fifteen days from my placing the order to receiving it! RIDICULOUS! I emailed them and told them I was not happy and would think twice from ever ordering from them again. They responded and said they were sorry and refunded me $5. I am really hating these cheap shipping methods. This package was coming from Ohio to CT. Not like it was around the world! GRRRRRR! 7 days to send a package from Ohio to CT! An old mule could make it quicker!

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »
I hate it when I leave food out to defrost, remind myself at least a dozen times not to forget to put it away before I fall asleep...and then I fall asleep anyway and wake up in the morning to food (usually raw meat, gross!) that I now have to waste by throwing it out. This doesn't happen often, but when it does I feel like the most wasteful person ever.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2018, 03:13:51 PM »
I hate it when I leave food out to defrost, remind myself at least a dozen times not to forget to put it away before I fall asleep...and then I fall asleep anyway and wake up in the morning to food (usually raw meat, gross!) that I now have to waste by throwing it out. This doesn't happen often, but when it does I feel like the most wasteful person ever.

Done that with cooked food too! Fall asleep and hours later wake up. That is no good! Buy yourself an oven timer with a clip and hook it onto your shirt. Put the time on it and let it count down and when it beeps it will wake you up! I have to take eye drops morning and night and the doc wants it to be more specifically timed so I have the timer set for 6 am for the first drop and then 7 am for the second drop. Then I put in 11 hours and have to repeat the same thing at 6 and 7 pm. It drives me to the nuthouse but I am keeping up with a rigid schedule. I have glaucoma and the pressure keeps going up and down. Hopefully, this rigid routine and eye drops will bring the pressure down.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2018, 10:05:14 AM »

Set a reminder on your phone. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2018, 10:07:08 AM »

It annoys me when software updates focus on snazzy new features that introduce new bugs instead of focusing on fixing the existing ones. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2018, 10:24:10 AM »

It annoys me when software updates focus on snazzy new features that introduce new bugs instead of focusing on fixing the existing ones.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvern_Instruments

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »

Or take away very functional features! My old gingerbread os phone had the BEST intelligent word prediction, still miss it. Now Google's word prediction really really sucks, to the point that half of their predictions don't even make any grammatical sense.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2018, 11:50:52 PM »
Or take away very functional features! My old gingerbread os phone had the BEST intelligent word prediction, still miss it. Now Google's word prediction really really sucks, to the point that half of their predictions don't even make any grammatical sense.

This! My bank has taken away the transaction tracking function, like Mint. Now I'm doing this tracking manually in Excel, which is way more work then the bank doing it automatically and I only need to make small corrections.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2018, 10:13:49 AM »

yes. autocad is the worst.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2018, 11:51:33 AM »
I hate how every building has to have their A/C set at an ungodly low temperature. I went grocery shopping yesterday and was so cold that I couldn't feel my nose, my hands were stiff, and I forgot half of the items I needed because I was so concentrated on getting warm. I was dressed appropriately enough for the weather outside but I guess I'll take my parka with me today even though it's 70°F and sunny.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2018, 12:06:11 PM »
First World problems.  Doncha think?

Of course, I like to whine from time to time as well. :)

MNBen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2018, 11:10:32 AM »
It bothers me that US Citizens aren't more educated about World Geography, or even the US Territories, outside of basically trying to learn the 50 United States...

Right now the islands of Saipan and Tinian (~50,000 population) are being hit by one of the largest storms ever on the planet - Super Typhoon Yutu - with sustained winds of 180+ mph and gusts 200+ mph.

These are not only US Territories (US Citizens) but I think the general US public is so misinformed, I can't even find it on any common news sources.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2018, 11:31:24 AM »
It bothers me that US Citizens aren't more educated about World Geography, or even the US Territories, outside of basically trying to learn the 50 United States...

Right now the islands of Saipan and Tinian (~50,000 population) are being hit by one of the largest storms ever on the planet - Super Typhoon Yutu - with sustained winds of 180+ mph and gusts 200+ mph.

These are not only US Territories (US Citizens) but I think the general US public is so misinformed, I can't even find it on any common news sources.
Yep, when I mention nearly anywhere on the globe (and even in the US**) I look like a relative genius for even KNOWing that these places exist.

I had to dig deep into the NOAA website to even find Yutu.   I thank MNBen for the notice, as I'm on a low information diet.

**Washington DC and Washington State are two completely different entities and locations, dammitt :-)

Re: Roadrunner's note on teachers.  I had a Social Studies teacher, who had been the football coach, who stated that New Guinea is "off the coast of South America".   Which is sort of true in that you can probably draw a great circle route between South America and New Guinea without hitting a land mass. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 12:02:09 PM by markbike528CBX »

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2018, 11:41:36 AM »

Younger me meeting someone abroad:

Person: I'm from Georgia.
Me in my head: Whoa sounds like they're from Russia, not Georgia (The state)

*Facepalm younger self*

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »
Well, this brings up another thing I hate(d). When I was a younger me and was in school, one particular history class was taught by an older male teacher. He was the most BORING teacher ever. He had to have been teaching for 45 years and spoke in a monotone voice that absolutely put me to sleep. Our history books were all in black and white...boring. This is one reason people can't learn history! I love history now! I did have another history teacher in high school who was fantastic and made history interesting. Teachers make the difference. Some teachers whether old or young make the difference. Boring teachers should leave. Some of these teachers just don't have a way to bring history alive in the classroom. All the kids can imagine is people who lived 300 years ago that are long gone. But history is important to guide us to our futures.

MNBen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2018, 12:38:38 PM »

*Facepalm younger self*

Me traveling around US...

Person:  Where are you from?
Me:  Minnesota

Me traveling abroad for first time...

*Facepalm younger self*

MNBen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2018, 12:41:06 PM »
Yep, when I mention nearly anywhere on the globe (and even in the US**) I look like a relative genius for even KNOWing that these places exist.

US President talking to press yesterday about the caravan (being caught in a lie):

"Let me just tell you something. I spoke with Border Patrol this morning. And I spoke to them last evening, and I spoke to them the day before. I speak to them all the time.

And they say -- and you know this as well as anybody -- over the course of the year, over the course of a number of years, they've intercepted many people from the Middle East. They've intercepted ISIS, they've intercepted all sorts of people.

They've intercepted good ones and bad ones, they've intercepted wonderful people from the Middle East, and they've intercepted bad ones, they've intercepted wonderful people from South America and from other parts further south."

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2018, 11:32:16 PM »

US President talking to press yesterday about the caravan (being caught in a lie):

"Let me just tell you something. I spoke with Border Patrol this morning. And I spoke to them last evening, and I spoke to them the day before. I speak to them all the time.

And they say -- and you know this as well as anybody -- over the course of the year, over the course of a number of years, they've intercepted many people from the Middle East. They've intercepted ISIS, they've intercepted all sorts of people.

They've intercepted good ones and bad ones, they've intercepted wonderful people from the Middle East, and they've intercepted bad ones, they've intercepted wonderful people from South America and from other parts further south."

Hey! You never know, they may have intercepted people from Antarctica. According to Google, there are approximately 4400 people living in Antarctica.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2018, 11:54:27 PM »

Hey! You never know, they may have intercepted people from Antarctica. According to Google, there are approximately 4400 people living in Antarctica.
Penguins!   At least the wall need only be a 3 feet ~ 1meter high, except where it abutts deep water.
Those penguins get quit a swimming start and pop out of the water like an SLBM.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2018, 01:16:08 AM »
I hate having a day off and mentally not being able to get out of the house. I am so in doubt about different options that I end up not going.
But the day is still young. I hope to get over it pretty soon.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2018, 09:17:07 AM »

*Facepalm younger self*

*Facepalm younger self*

Funny, I never had any problems identifying myself as a resident of a US state when speaking with people abroad. Maybe certain states are just better known to non-US residents?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2018, 09:24:37 AM »

*Facepalm younger self*

*Facepalm younger self*

Funny, I never had any problems identifying myself as a resident of a US state when speaking with people abroad. Maybe certain states are just better known to non-US residents?

If you're from Texas, the accent is a pretty big giveaway too.  Y'all.  :P

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2018, 09:50:43 AM »

*Facepalm younger self*

*Facepalm younger self*

If you're from Texas, the accent is a pretty big giveaway too.  Y'all.  :P
Don't underestimate how much American accents all blend together for the rest of the world.  My GF grew up in Arizona and has lived in Illinois for the last 6 years.  A customs guy in Brussels asked (due to her accent) if she was from Boston.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2018, 09:54:32 AM »
I really hate the custom of saying "bless you" after a sneeze. Mainly because it puts the sneezer in the awkward situation of having to say "thank you" while they are likely gearing up for another sneeze.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2018, 10:12:12 AM »
I really hate the custom of saying "bless you" after a sneeze. Mainly because it puts the sneezer in the awkward situation of having to say "thank you" while they are likely gearing up for another sneeze.

I hate that, too. I mean, there's really no reason for it. It's the equivalent of saying, "You sneezed." Like, I don't feel the need to narrate someone's actions when they cough, or hiccup, or clear their throat, or scratch their nose. I understand why this started way back in the day, but can't we just stop feeling the need to say something when someone sneezes?

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2018, 10:59:20 AM »

Alternatively I hate feeling the obligation to say "bless you"! It is kind of dumb. When I was a kid my dad would try to make it funny by trying to make us "lose" a sneeze, usually by doing a really exaggerated fake sneeze.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!