Author Topic: The Olympics  (Read 26605 times)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: The Olympics
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2016, 05:23:28 PM »
Maybe it's time for this topic to be a separate thread, vs. getting this one all foamy.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2016, 05:31:25 PM »

*see what I did there? ;)

Yes. Personal narative leading to something not entirely related.
However, I think we have a major international incident brewing fast. A smear campaign is a very effective political tool. So before the boys are thrown in prison because they had the audacity to drink and break into a restroom, someone with clout needs to step up and handle this Helen of Troy shit. As far as I am concerned those Olympians are hostage.

I see that you know that very well, considering that post.

A few small corrections: jail is not the same thing is "prison," and being under arrest is not the same thing as being held "hostage."

Right, what is the charge then? In the U.S. you need to be charge to be detained. What is holding someone against their will without charge? Did you here the Rio police on this. Ryan was just having fun they should give him a break.. well great give us back our other two then.

I do know this. You call someone a liar in the news and ruin their reputation the media is not quick to fix it and many are quick to judge. So what proof? Two Olympians are being held for what? So far the reporting from Rio is suspicious at best. They were brawling-- uh wait no they werent-- they vandalized property-- I meant they broke in a bathroom-- they lied about a gun-- oh wait no, there was a gun. Apparently Rio needs to get their shit together before they pull two high profiles off of a flight and give us shitty reporting and edited footage.

eh, you are right but I think Im done

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2016, 05:45:18 PM »
I thought Olympic athletes were not allowed to "go pro" and had to give up being Olympians if they did so. However, if that is true, then why are the basketballs players always professional NBA players thrown into an Olympic team?

That changed a few decades ago. Now pros are allowed.

Except when the pool's water flow may have a current that allows athletes in certain lanes to have better times.

Olympic class pools don't have that "feature".

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2016, 04:32:17 AM »
Usain Bolt does it again! Poor Adam Gemili, he missed out on the bronze medal by three thousands of a second. *Cries*

Spitfire

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2016, 07:23:52 AM »
Happy Jordan Burroughs Day! Go USA Wrestling!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2016, 08:36:44 AM »
What is the little 'Batman' hat the horses wear during the jumping competition? Is it just traditional decorative? Or does it have a function?

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2016, 08:47:41 AM »

However, I think we have a major international incident brewing fast. A smear campaign is a very effective political tool. So before the boys are thrown in prison because they had the audacity to drink and break into a restroom, someone with clout needs to step up and handle this Helen of Troy shit. As far as I am concerned those Olympians are hostage.

A few small corrections: jail is not the same thing is "prison," and being under arrest is not the same thing as being held "hostage."

Right, what is the charge then? In the U.S. you need to be charge to be detained. What is holding someone against their will without charge? Did you here the Rio police on this. Ryan was just having fun they should give him a break.. well great give us back our other two then.

I do know this. You call someone a liar in the news and ruin their reputation the media is not quick to fix it and many are quick to judge. So what proof? Two Olympians are being held for what? So far the reporting from Rio is suspicious at best. They were brawling-- uh wait no they werent-- they vandalized property-- I meant they broke in a bathroom-- they lied about a gun-- oh wait no, there was a gun. Apparently Rio needs to get their shit together before they pull two high profiles off of a flight and give us shitty reporting and edited footage.

Lochte should have kept his mouth shut.  Brazil, on the other hand, has raised this to a new level by pulling passports and detaining these guys over this. 

It appears that Lochte and company forgot some details, but so did the Brazilians (like the gun pointed at them).  It will be interesting if the swimmers story changes again once on US soil.  If I were pulled off a flight and detained over this, I would agree with the Brazilian version to get out of the country.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2016, 12:47:20 PM »

After a few wild nights in Budapest, me and some friends were on the train back to Germany when one of them got shot in the back of the head.

Or at least that's what it looked like when he projectile vomited all over the seat table and the guy sitting across from him. He must have gorged on red food coloring at the train station. Anyways, in his half-drunk, clumsy way, he tried to clean it up as half the compartment emptied out. I guess someone told the authorities, because at the next station a European Railway Pit Crew stormed the car with squeegees and mops in hand. The enforcers extorted, if I remember correctly, 200 euros for their trouble.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
Well we have our boys back. And Lochte released this video with his sincerest apologies: https://youtu.be/A5cneCgNA9U

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2016, 01:53:07 PM »
Right, what is the charge then? In the U.S. you need to be charge to be detained. What is holding someone against their will without charge?

No, in the U.S. you do not need to be charged to be detained.  The police can detain you for questioning upon reasonable suspicion that you were involved in (or about to be involved in) a crime.  That is what the Brazilian police did here.  They detained the Americans (who had not already left the country) only so long as it took to ask their investigatory questions about the alleged crime.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2016, 02:08:04 PM »
Right, what is the charge then? In the U.S. you need to be charge to be detained. What is holding someone against their will without charge?

No, in the U.S. you do not need to be charged to be detained.  The police can detain you for questioning upon reasonable suspicion that you were involved in (or about to be involved in) a crime.  That is what the Brazilian police did here.  They detained the Americans (who had not already left the country) only so long as it took to ask their investigatory questions about the alleged crime.
Arrested detained giant spectacle after gun was pointed in face. Whatever. We have our boys back after they were pulled off a plane after being held at gun point and after one "donated" $11,000. All for a bath room door

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2016, 02:12:22 PM »

It would be pretty unusual in the US to pull someone off a plane for a minor incident such as this. 

RidinTheAsama

• Stubble
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2016, 02:19:32 PM »
I watched dressage for the first time the other day...  I just don't get it. 
Please excuse the ranting nature here... I have a legit question after getting my level of understanding/opposition laid out.

If I had to try to explain it to someone all I could come up with would be "making a horse dance funny in a rectangular field".  Obviously I'm missing many subtleties but that still feels pretty accurate.  Why is this a sport? What athleticism is involved (from the human)?  This seems like all the people behind the scenes training the horse how to wiggle its feet properly have a much bigger impact... Put a rider on a different horse (especially one not specifically trained in this event) and what do you get?  I imagine it would be a pretty big mess... If you put different or sub-par equipment into the hands of almost any other athlete at the games (archery, rowing, kayaking, biking, tennis, etc. etc.) they are still going to be able to accomplish incredible things with it - not smashing world records but still beating out the average joe competitor in their sport.  It makes no sense to me that the person on the horse's back gets any more credit than any other coach out there.

So, can anyone explain this sport differently and convince me that there is incredible athleticism involved? That the riders deserve extreme admiration and respect?

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2016, 02:39:43 PM »

Arrested detained giant spectacle after gun was pointed in face. Whatever. We have our boys back after they were pulled off a plane after being held at gun point and after one "donated" $11,000. All for a bath room door

It would be pretty unusual in the US to pull someone off a plane for a minor incident such as this.

Midwest, you're right that pulling someone off a plane for something like this in the US would be highly unusual.  However, I couldn't let mrpercentage's original, completely erroneous statement sit that "In the U.S. you need to be charge to be detained."  Detained and arrested are not the same thing.  I didn't want someone reading his comment to believe his statement there was accurate when it is without a doubt wrong.  Also, the swimmers said they handed over about $20, not $11k.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 02:47:14 PM by LeRainDrop »

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2016, 02:47:20 PM »

Midwest, you're right that pulling someone off a plane for something like this in the US would be highly unusual.  However, I couldn't let mrpercentage's original, completely erroneous statement sit that "In the U.S. you need to be charge to be detained."  Detained and arrested are not the same thing.  I didn't want someone reading his comment to believe his statement there was accurate when it is without a doubt wrong.

Fair enough.  I think Brazil has damaged themselves through their sloppy handling of this.  Lochte distorted the truth after a drunken misunderstanding/mistake.  Brazil could have disputed his version without escalating this and without distorting the facts themselves.  As the facts come out, Lochte's story (which appears to have omitted some facts) is looking to have a ring of truth from the perspective of an intoxicated person in a foreign land.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2016, 02:50:08 PM »
Fair enough.  I think Brazil has damaged themselves through their sloppy handling of this.  Lochte distorted the truth after a drunken misunderstanding/mistake.  Brazil could have disputed his version without escalating this and without distorting the facts themselves.  As the facts come out, Lochte's story (which appears to have omitted some facts) is looking to have a ring of truth from the perspective of an intoxicated person in a foreign land.

Yeah, I think that's fair to say, too.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: August 19, 2016, 03:27:18 PM »

Midwest, you're right that pulling someone off a plane for something like this in the US would be highly unusual.  However, I couldn't let mrpercentage's original, completely erroneous statement sit that "In the U.S. you need to be charge to be detained."  Detained and arrested are not the same thing.  I didn't want someone reading his comment to believe his statement there was accurate when it is without a doubt wrong.  Also, the swimmers said they handed over about $20, not $11k.

Okay this needs to go to another thread. You have excellent attention to detail and I'm going to guess you are a lawyer but facts

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #167 on: August 19, 2016, 04:04:11 PM »

Well, yes, in theory that is how it works. Except we have prisons abroad so that we can hold people without trial and not bother following the laws of our country.

White dudes "have fun" while black dudes would have received quite a different reaction. Let's not even discuss if a woman had done what RL did. She'd be excoriated in the news and no one would have said she was "having some fun" or "boys will be boys."

They should kick Ryan Lochte out of future Olympics.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »
I thought Olympic athletes were not allowed to "go pro" and had to give up being Olympians if they did so. However, if that is true, then why are the basketballs players always professional NBA players thrown into an Olympic team?

That changed a few decades ago. Now pros are allowed.

Except when the pool's water flow may have a current that allows athletes in certain lanes to have better times.

Olympic class pools don't have that "feature".

Thanks for the info that the Olympians can go pro. I'm glad to hear at least some of the non-medalists have a shot at making money then.

Could you explain about Olympic pools not having that feature? In 2013, a professor from Indiana and his research team showed how swimmers in certain lanes had shorter times. Those same swimmers would then have longer times when they swam in other lanes.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/did-the-olympic-pool-give-some-swimmers-an-advantage-1471470741

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2016, 04:13:10 PM »

No, in the US, we'd be more likely to pull someone off the plane for being Muslim or a Sikh.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2016, 04:30:25 PM »

They should kick Ryan Lochte out of future Olympics.

Wow. I mean really. He did get a gun in his face. They did take his money. They did hold his buddies and one is paying $11,000. They did call him a liar and many believed it until video footage and a witness backed up the gun story. Not to mention foreign media dragged Phelps through the mud because of this and he was home with his baby but they had to bring up that he smoked pot once. God you would think Americans pillage everywhere they go. The schadenfreude in all of this American bashing is down right disturbing. I thought Olympians were famous for the amount of condoms at Olympic village. I guess everyone should be sober before they spread Zika virus.

I removed Rio from my bucket list. No thank you.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2016, 04:41:50 PM »
Okay this needs to go to another thread. You have excellent attention to detail and I'm going to guess you are a lawyer but facts

Okay, I realize the effort is not worth the little progress that can be made in a fact debate with someone who only reads headlines and not the substance of the story.  The guys paid $20 for the damage they did to the bathroom door.  Lochte falsely reported a crime, or embellished the story of what happened to attempt to put himself in a better light, and then he left Brazil, in all likelihood not coming back.  Benz and Conger were pulled off the plane, questioned, and released, and then they left Brazil.  Feigen decided to negotiate with the authorities.  To resolve the claims of his involvement in fabricating the story, he agreed to donate to a local children's athletic charity.  I say good on him for making amends and in a positive way that respects the reason he was originally there -- bridging the divide through sports.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2016, 04:48:49 PM »
They did call him a liar and many believed it until video footage and a witness backed up the gun story.

Could you please cite a source that backs up Ryan Lochte's "gun story," which was:  "They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground—they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so—I'm not getting down on the ground. And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like ‘whatever.’ He took our money, he took my wallet."

There is evidence that supports the other swimmers' story that the security guard had a gun, but I haven't seen any source saying that the guy actually cocked his gun and put it to Lochte's forehead.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 04:50:34 PM by LeRainDrop »

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2016, 04:55:53 PM »
I don't need anymore at this point. He shouldn't have broken the door and he should have kept his mouth shut. However, Rio has gotten a black eye, missing teeth, and herpies by how they have handled this and by how they tried to ruin the reputation of the entire swimming team and threaten them with jail (which is usually worse than prison due to classifications and separation not being as complete due to time restraints and people still hopped up on whatever) after they already had their lives threaded for a door.

just wanted to add that if I was Rio: I would stop talking about it, I would put lots of pretty girls on TV, I would show lots of Christ the Redeemer, and people having a good time-- if they quit picking the scab maybe this can heal and love and forgiveness and the people of Rio will wash this away.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 05:22:25 PM by mrpercentage »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #174 on: August 19, 2016, 06:09:02 PM »
Lochte has made himself the issue again now by posting a bizarre apology on instagram?

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #175 on: August 19, 2016, 06:10:11 PM »
However, Rio has gotten a black eye, missing teeth, and herpies

To be fair, I think these were caused by all that sewage in the water.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: August 19, 2016, 06:50:14 PM »
Nah, I think Lochte had to say something and a tweet from a public relations person was probably best.

Remember when dealing with Lochte consider the Dude: https://youtu.be/tjN5q9Ixen4?t=2m24s

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2016, 08:42:37 PM »
No, in the US, we'd be more likely to pull someone off the plane for being Muslim or a Sikh.
Or for doing that there book lerning.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/07/italian-mathematician-taken-off-flight-after-fellow-passenger-al/

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2016, 10:01:03 PM »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #179 on: August 20, 2016, 06:19:21 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/07/italian-mathematician-taken-off-flight-after-fellow-passenger-al/

Oh, lordy.

Bad maths will bring down a plane.... what was that story about a plane that couldn't take off because the weight was entered into the system by the co-pilot in the wrong units?

(Edit for typo (bad not bath :D))
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 04:19:52 PM by marty998 »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2016, 04:15:58 PM »

Oh, lordy.
And the Gimli glider because one person was using litres and the other gallons.  This was during Canada's switch-over, we can do our arithmetic now. (And I am 2 degrees of separation away from the pilot!).

Bath maths will bring down a plane.... what was that story about a plane that couldn't take off because the weight was entered into the system by the co-pilot in the wrong units?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2016, 10:29:48 AM »

Well, yes, in theory that is how it works. Except we have prisons abroad so that we can hold people without trial and not bother following the laws of our country.

Holding people without trial would be a big step up from the torture that the U.S. has admitted to regularly performing on their illegally held detainees.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2016, 11:06:05 AM »
I watched dressage for the first time the other day...  I just don't get it. 
Please excuse the ranting nature here... I have a legit question after getting my level of understanding/opposition laid out.

If I had to try to explain it to someone all I could come up with would be "making a horse dance funny in a rectangular field".  Obviously I'm missing many subtleties but that still feels pretty accurate.  Why is this a sport? What athleticism is involved (from the human)?  This seems like all the people behind the scenes training the horse how to wiggle its feet properly have a much bigger impact... Put a rider on a different horse (especially one not specifically trained in this event) and what do you get?  I imagine it would be a pretty big mess... If you put different or sub-par equipment into the hands of almost any other athlete at the games (archery, rowing, kayaking, biking, tennis, etc. etc.) they are still going to be able to accomplish incredible things with it - not smashing world records but still beating out the average joe competitor in their sport.  It makes no sense to me that the person on the horse's back gets any more credit than any other coach out there.

So, can anyone explain this sport differently and convince me that there is incredible athleticism involved? That the riders deserve extreme admiration and respect?
Perhaps because that which seems easy and pointless is also damn difficult. See also: Golf.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2016, 11:59:21 AM »

Holding people without trial would be a big step up from the torture that the U.S. has admitted to regularly performing on their illegally held detainees.

two wrongs dont make a right but Im in way too good a mood to argue

and... comparing a drunk Olympian to a terrorist suspect is pretty low. Really low.
and... threatening them with six months and charging them $11,000 is ridiculous by anyones standards. Unless, you think we should ticket people $11,000 for having false vehicles when they pedal on the highway and threaten them with six months if they dare call their false vehicle a bike. I mean we are just playing with words here. They would get zero time in the USA and maybe a disorderly conduct charge, and people would have a damn riot over the gun especially in this climate, and the mall cop might get jail time and would certainly be fired. We have had coked up rock stars and celebrities destroy their hotel room, throw their cellphone at desk employees, kick fans climbing up on stage in the face, and they got nothing... I mean nothing other than being called an asshole on national TV.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:15:11 PM by mrpercentage »

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2016, 12:23:55 PM »

Plz, I offer you my clothes?

Nope, didn't work.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2016, 02:17:49 PM »
Yay, Team GB came second. Pretty impressive.:)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2016, 04:04:36 PM »

Team GB is doing REALLY well. That's what happens - the pay off from running the Olympics means people get interested! For a bit, anyway :P

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2016, 02:57:26 AM »

Team GB is doing REALLY well. That's what happens - the pay off from running the Olympics means people get interested! For a bit, anyway :P

I hope it works out to have been a good decision for Brazil as there was so much opposition to Rio, for obvious reasons. I think there will be a huge boost to tourism as it looked stunningly beautiful from the footage they showed of the country.:)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/22/world/americas/rio-olympics.html?_r=0

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #188 on: August 22, 2016, 06:13:00 AM »
comparing a drunk Olympian to a terrorist suspect is pretty low. Really low.

Agreed.  The comparison is unfair to Brazil.  Brazil didn't torture the swimmers, didn't kidnap them from their home country, and handled the matter through the legal system.  Hell, the Brazilians didn't even hold the swimmers in police custody for more than a few hours of questioning.

The evidence that the US has used to accuse someone of terrorism and kidnap them from a foreign country is far, far lower than the amount of evidence available related to the American swimmer who was detained for a couple days.

Two wrongs don't make a right . . . but did Brazil actually commit a wrong?  They charged the Americans for falsely reporting a crime (which they did).  The punishment is six months prison, or paying a fine.  It's ironic to listen to people from the US get angry about being held to the legal system of a country whose laws have been violated, while conveniently forgetting that they are the proud flag-bearers of abduction, torture, and indefinite detention without evidence.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #189 on: August 22, 2016, 06:28:48 AM »

two wrongs dont make a right but Im in way too good a mood to argue

and... comparing a drunk Olympian to a terrorist suspect is pretty low. Really low.
and... threatening them with six months and charging them $11,000 is ridiculous by anyones standards. Unless, you think we should ticket people $11,000 for having false vehicles when they pedal on the highway and threaten them with six months if they dare call their false vehicle a bike. I mean we are just playing with words here. They would get zero time in the USA and maybe a disorderly conduct charge, and people would have a damn riot over the gun especially in this climate, and the mall cop might get jail time and would certainly be fired. We have had coked up rock stars and celebrities destroy their hotel room, throw their cellphone at desk employees, kick fans climbing up on stage in the face, and they got nothing... I mean nothing other than being called an asshole on national TV.

He was fined for lying to the police, not for breaking stuff. And kicking people in the face or throwing cellphones at employees with impunity is a good thing now?

But you're right that the actions of the security guards/off duty cops were overlooked.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: August 22, 2016, 08:40:27 PM »
comparing a drunk Olympian to a terrorist suspect is pretty low. Really low.

Agreed.  The comparison is unfair to Brazil.  Brazil didn't torture the swimmers, didn't kidnap them from their home country, and handled the matter through the legal system.  Hell, the Brazilians didn't even hold the swimmers in police custody for more than a few hours of questioning.

The evidence that the US has used to accuse someone of terrorism and kidnap them from a foreign country is far, far lower than the amount of evidence available related to the American swimmer who was detained for a couple days.

Two wrongs don't make a right . . . but did Brazil actually commit a wrong?  They charged the Americans for falsely reporting a crime (which they did).  The punishment is six months prison, or paying a fine.  It's ironic to listen to people from the US get angry about being held to the legal system of a country whose laws have been violated, while conveniently forgetting that they are the proud flag-bearers of abduction, torture, and indefinite detention without evidence.

Yeah it's because we don't make those rules. We agreed to something we thought was needed and gave them power they refuse to return. Of course they want to know everyone's business now. Cats out of the bag.

Anyways I was using disorderly conduct of other rock stars (some foreign) as context of were this fits in. It wasn't meant to be an example of what's right.

But now Lochte lost a lot of money, was held at gun point, and even others were fined, all over dumb crap I bet 90% have done at some point. At least he wasn't driving. I have seen fist fights in bars, projectile vomiting out of cars, and even people taking a dump in public or even their pants. He did none of these so woopty do. I still personally think his sin was small in this but the world should be glad to know they highly damaged his life over a small incident. And holding those guys and forcing them to make written statements that could later be called a crime and be a request for extrication. I know when I see someone getting rolled. And that's why I will gladly go to my favorite place Freemantle Australia over Rio. But first New York City.

Just my opinion. My travel will be my vote

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2016, 09:38:30 PM »
Here's a fun John Oliver segment on Lochte and other Olympics foolishness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AZu7xN7kuo

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2016, 10:02:37 PM »
Oh, lord, that was hilarious!  Thanks for sharing, yuka!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2016, 09:04:33 AM »
Why is this thread still babblng on about one stupid athlete (as in, I have seen comments elsewhere that everyone knows this guy's one talent is swimming, his brain is the size of my dog's)?  Rio was wonderful, the closing ceremony was wonderful, seeing the breadth of athletic endeavour was great.  The women's pentathlon was a sport I was not familiar with, what a challenging day for them.  Still don't see the point of golf as an Olympic sport.  Waiting to see the women's marathon be an event (we know women can do marathons, they do ultramarathons), and 2 golds being given as part of the closing ceremony.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2016, 10:07:17 AM »
Waiting to see the women's marathon be an event (we know women can do marathons, they do ultramarathons), and 2 golds being given as part of the closing ceremony.

It was an event. it just happened much earlier in the schedule (on August 14), so the medals were given out long before the closing ceremony.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2016, 01:12:24 PM »
Waiting to see the women's marathon be an event (we know women can do marathons, they do ultramarathons), and 2 golds being given as part of the closing ceremony.

It was an event. it just happened much earlier in the schedule (on August 14), so the medals were given out long before the closing ceremony.

Thanks!  I looked and didn't find it.  Still a bit miffed that the men's marathon gets the super special attention.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2016, 01:12:41 PM »
Why is this thread still babblng on about one stupid athlete (as in, I have seen comments elsewhere that everyone knows this guy's one talent is swimming, his brain is the size of my dog's)?

Yeah, that's a good point -- we really should implement censorship around here to whatever interests RetiredAt63.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2016, 01:21:58 PM »
Why is this thread still babblng on about one stupid athlete (as in, I have seen comments elsewhere that everyone knows this guy's one talent is swimming, his brain is the size of my dog's)?

Yeah, that's a good point -- we really should implement censorship around here to whatever interests RetiredAt63.

Snark, thanks.  Foam is fun, this is boring - and do anyone but Americans really care that much?  If you want to discuss it as an international incident it is worth its own thread.  And I think I insulted my dog.

Jack, on the other hand, actually read my post and posted something interesting and useful.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2016, 01:30:49 PM »
Useful is in the eye of the beholder.  I would venture to say that many Brazilians also care about it.

Anyway, now that these Summer Games have just wrapped up, we get news of five sports that will be added at Tokyo 2020.  Is anyone looking forward to any of these in particular?  I think skateboarding, sport climbing, and surfing could be fun to watch.  https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-approves-five-new-sports-for-olympic-games-tokyo-2020

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2016, 01:44:04 PM »

I totally agree!:) You did insult your dog as well. Haha.

I'm actually looking forward to the next games as I enjoyed Rio far more than I expected.