Author Topic: The Fitness Megathread  (Read 91821 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: The Fitness Megathread
« Reply #250 on: February 04, 2014, 06:38:51 AM »
Read most of Piratical Programming and Riptoe does not discuss multi sport or lifting and doing something else that uses muscle similarly.  probably to may variables in there to write a short lifting book.

Piratical Programming?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #251 on: February 09, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »
Piratical Programming is the latest thing, will totally kick crossFits a$$ in market share soon.  Mainly in PP you race up and down the rigging, hoist anchors and row while some dude rhythmically bangs a big drum; and thats all nice but the really great part is that the cool down portion is centered around the consumption of a dark pint of ale.  And there is sword fighting and wenchs.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #252 on: February 10, 2014, 09:17:10 AM »
Plus you lose a lot of weight very quickly from the amputations!

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #253 on: February 10, 2014, 05:52:09 PM »
FUCK LIMBS!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #254 on: March 06, 2014, 01:24:14 PM »
This is the Mr Money Mustache Forum Fitness Thread

Table of Contents

Beginner Programming (coming soon)
Intermediate Programming (coming soon)
Injury Prevention and Treatment (coming soon)
Resources (coming soon)

Great so far!
Just curios how soon "coming soon" will be?

What he said :)

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #255 on: March 28, 2014, 07:56:20 AM »
Took 2 weeks off of lifting to buy a house. Came back and realized that my legs don't understand the difference between "take a break" and "pretend like you've never lifted a weight before." Anyone else experience that?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #256 on: March 28, 2014, 08:54:22 AM »
Took 2 weeks off of lifting to buy a house. Came back and realized that my legs don't understand the difference between "take a break" and "pretend like you've never lifted a weight before." Anyone else experience that?

I usually notice this if I don't keep up on mobility while I take a break.  My hips are pretty tight as it is, so any extended break and they tend to tighten up more.  Although I usually get form back during my first session and usually back to normal weights the 2nd.

On another note, Recently hit three PR's, 185lb snatch, 1rm BS 355 and a 4rm BS 315!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #257 on: March 28, 2014, 12:38:31 PM »
yep that is normal, always after a bit of time off you have to assume that first workout will suck in all ways.  But the second workout will be ok, then a week latter you will be fine.  Take two or three weeks off when life comes up and you can see how people become 600# and bed bound :-)

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #258 on: March 28, 2014, 01:23:40 PM »
Nice job on the squats. I did 265x5x5 a couple weeks ago, yesterday was 260x3x5. Hoping to get a single at 405 this year... possibly with my knee wraps if necessary.

Alan - Very good point. I should probably keep that in mind next time I hear "getting back into working out is so hard"

Unchained

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #259 on: April 15, 2014, 04:07:55 PM »
I was delighted to find this thread. I've been lifting for a few years now and its one of my favorite hobbies. For a long time I wanted to compete in powerlifting at a high level but a couple things are holding me back. I don't think anyone cares to hear any lifting stats but I will say I have say that I did start lifting weights using the stronglifts 5x5 program, after that I tried my hand at my own programming for a year or so. I went on to do madcows 5x5 which worked out REALLY well for me and took my squat to 405 for 5 reps. After madcows I worked with a coach who helped me bring my squat to 500 lbs. Since then I've been working on maintaining my strength and dropping body weight. Thats been the plan for about 6 months now. I am now using 5/3/1 with some adjustments here and there based on my own experiences. I'll try to chime in if anyone has any questions!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #260 on: February 27, 2015, 07:54:06 PM »
Something tells me that the specific programing basics aren't coming afterall...

here's a great guide to strength training for beginners  -basically a summary of "Starting Strength":
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

mhatrerajesh141

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I am Fitness Freak
    • Muscle Building
« Reply #261 on: April 08, 2016, 04:42:11 AM »
Here's a great guide to strength training for beginners :
http://www.musclestyles.com/beginner-workout/

And Guide for Effective way to build muscles :
http://www.musclestyles.com/the-effective-way-on-how-to-build-muscles/