Author Topic: The Fitness Megathread  (Read 91829 times)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The Fitness Megathread
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2013, 06:42:49 AM »
Funny thing . . . her midwife said that she had incredibly strong abdominal muscles, and not to do crunches anymore.  The only ab work my wife does: squats, deadlift, military press, cleans, bench press.

Takes a strong trunk to hold up a tree, especially one that has a barbell overhead.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2013, 07:46:36 PM »
Guys, I've gone full bodybuilding routine. I don't even know who I am anymore.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2013, 08:23:32 PM »
Nothing wrong with that.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2013, 06:07:48 PM »

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2013, 06:26:11 AM »
Nothing wrong with that.

Except for the lack of fitocracy points?

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »
Sooo since I wrote up the nice little bodyweight training section for this thread I thought I'd share the results of my last 12 weeks where I had to follow said advice without access to any traditional gym.

Long story short, I will be very glad to have access to a barbell again :)

For those 12 weeks I put together a 3 days on, 1 day off routine for myself that I followed pretty strictly:
  • Pull-ups and Dips (goal of working towards 1 arm pullups)
  • Handstand pushups and pistols
  • Planche training and L-sit/V-sit work
  • Day off

I have also been biking a ton and doing a quick, strict tabata biking session several times a week.

Overall, it has worked fairly well.  I have gotten to only using 1 finger of the support hand on my uneven pullups, and I am finally able to do a couple of good feet-against-the-wall planche pushups.  I think my upper body has been treated very well this summer, and my cardiovascular fitness has improved phenomenally (I tend to hate all forms of cardio, so this was one of my goals for the summer without a barbell).

However, no matter how fast I bike or how many pistols I do, my lower body feels consistently under-trained.  As far as I can tell, there really is no suitable substitute for a good, heavy squat or deadlift.  I do think that bodyweight exercises for the lower body, such as bridges and squats/pistols, can work for the relatively un-trained. But if you already have a high level of strength from moving hundreds of extra pounds of weight with those muscles, it's going to be very hard to continue to stress them with any sort of pure bodyweight training.  Which is probably why this whole debate exists in the fitness world in the first place :p

So there are the results of my summer training.  I never knew before this that I could actually crave the feeling of a good heavy squat, and I can't wait to go back to my normal gym, get under a bar, and see how much weight I lost on that lift >.< Hopefully it comes back quickly enough.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2013, 11:54:15 AM »

However, no matter how fast I bike or how many pistols I do, my lower body feels consistently under-trained.  As far as I can tell, there really is no suitable substitute for a good, heavy squat or deadlift.  I do think that bodyweight exercises for the lower body, such as bridges and squats/pistols, can work for the relatively un-trained. But if you already have a high level of strength from moving hundreds of extra pounds of weight with those muscles, it's going to be very hard to continue to stress them with any sort of pure bodyweight training.  Which is probably why this whole debate exists in the fitness world in the first place :p

There isn't much debate, the strong people ignore the bodyweight people ;). Welcome back to the iron.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2013, 08:00:30 AM »
On my end I've had to take a longish (2-? weeks) break from all physical activity except walking. I hurt my lower back and herniated a disc in my neck. I hate it so bad, why is my body made out of chalk and balsa wood?

So there are the results of my summer training.  I never knew before this that I could actually crave the feeling of a good heavy squat, and I can't wait to go back to my normal gym, get under a bar, and see how much weight I lost on that lift >.< Hopefully it comes back quickly enough.

Yeah, results are based on Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands and there's really nothing you can do to get away from that.

Shandi76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2013, 04:33:56 AM »
Managed to PR my Clean today. 40Kg (88lbs).

I admit this is rather a modest weight, but it is a milestone for me. I am fairly new to oly lifting and have had to do a lot of work on my technique and poor flexibility. It's not quite 2/3rds of my bodyweight.

I think the extra session a week at Cross Fit is paying off :-)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2013, 06:20:32 AM »
Managed to PR my Clean today. 40Kg (88lbs).

I admit this is rather a modest weight, but it is a milestone for me. I am fairly new to oly lifting and have had to do a lot of work on my technique and poor flexibility. It's not quite 2/3rds of my bodyweight.

I think the extra session a week at Cross Fit is paying off :-)

Nice Job.  The flexibility and technique is the hardest part, best way to get better is to get under the bar as much as you can :)

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »
Sooo since I wrote up the nice little bodyweight training section for this thread I thought I'd share the results of my last 12 weeks where I had to follow said advice without access to any traditional gym.

Long story short, I will be very glad to have access to a barbell again :)

Takes a lot of conviction to make this post, good job man.

I think there's a hierarchy of fitness activities:
Code: [Select]
Nothing < BW Circuit Training < Weightlifting
            Endurance Sports
            Ball sports

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2013, 06:15:59 AM »
I enjoy pushing around heavy stuff, but I wouldn't rank endurance sports/ball sports lower than weightlifting . . . they're just very different.

You have to have respect for anyone who can run a 40k marathon.  There's a level of mental toughness and willingness to ignore pain there that is very impressive.  Looking back after years of boxing, kickboxing, tae kwon do, judo, jiu-jitsu . . . the most injured I have ever been was when I regularly played soccer.  That is a ball sport . . . but it's a very rough sport, and people who are great at it deserve a lot of respect too.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »
I think there's a hierarchy of fitness activities:
Nothing < BW Circuit Training < Weightlifting
            Endurance Sports
            Ball sports

Under this continuum, you define fitness primarily by strength, which I agree with in terms of up-to intermediate levels (past newb gains a bit) for a normal walking-around guy or girl. These are the people trying to not have a heart attack walking up a flight of stairs, carrying groceries into the house without having to take a break, or biking their kids to school and not pooping themselves on the way.

Once performance tends towards advanced and elite, it becomes tricky which is where these arguments head towards. I'd argue Ashton Eaton as the fittest man in the world (decathalon gold medalist) heads and shoulders over Rezazdeh for example (probably the best oly lifter ever). It would be even more difficult to compare apples to grapefruits with someone like Eaton vs. Pudzianowski, who dominated WSM 5 times but got eaten alive on his first MMA bout.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »
Oh yeah, once your goals move anywhere other than "look good with shirt off", including "lower cholesterol" and "win Stanley Cup", my silly continuum doesn't apply.

But for "look good with shirt off", weightlifting is where it's at!

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2013, 02:58:30 PM »
You know it's not fun when we all agree.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2013, 08:12:31 PM »
There IS a continuum of fitness, it's detailed in Supertraining by Mel Siff. It isn't condescending towards any different sport of physical pursuit, but there IS a reason there is a Couch-to-5k program, but no Couch-to-500lb deadlift program, some aspects of fitness don't take as long to develop. It's been years since I read it, but muscular strength is at the top of the heirarchy, muscular endurance (crossfitting) is lower, endurance is lower, I think power endurance is lower (crossfit again). It's a long book and pretty technical, but it has a lot of good info in it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2013, 07:17:26 AM »
There IS a continuum of fitness, it's detailed in Supertraining by Mel Siff. It isn't condescending towards any different sport of physical pursuit, but there IS a reason there is a Couch-to-5k program, but no Couch-to-500lb deadlift program, some aspects of fitness don't take as long to develop. It's been years since I read it, but muscular strength is at the top of the heirarchy, muscular endurance (crossfitting) is lower, endurance is lower, I think power endurance is lower (crossfit again). It's a long book and pretty technical, but it has a lot of good info in it.

Couch to 500lb deadlift?  Maybe not, but the couch to 300lb deadlift (in three months) program I followed is called 'Starting Strength' by Rippetoe, and it's pretty foolproof.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2013, 08:42:48 AM »
Just to pat myself on the back, and get some feedback, I figured I'd post this:  I'm buying a Sqfety Squat Bar.

I love lifting, but lifting has not loved me in the past few years.  I have a major issue with shoulder mobility that results in shoulder pain... especially after doing barbell back squats (because of the shoulder external rotation involved).  In the past couple years I would set myself into the following vicious cycle:

- Realize I haven't lifted in awhile, I feel healthy, so I start to lift
- I know my shoulder can be an issue, so I stretch and do mobility drills before each workout
- I squat, deadlift, press, etc.
- My shoulder starts to hurt, and I try to "catch up" with more stretching
- I never catch up, and end up having to stop most exercises due to shoulder pain.
- Shoulder pain lasts a month or longer until I've been laying around long enough for it to heal
- 6 months later, repeat.

I'm really hoping this safety squat bar will help me gain the ability to squat and to work on my shoulder issues at my own pace... without derailing all my other lifting plans.

/end rant.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »
To Bo: congrats on the safety squat bar. They are very nice, but your training may have to adjust due to this bar being almost a front squat rather than a low bar back squat (lbbs) so your PC is going to need additional / adjusted work load. A giant cambered bar (or a spider bar) may be a good purchase if you are wanting to keep p.c. work high similar to a lbbs, which I'm assuming you are doing since high bar generally doesn't have the shoulder torque that an lbbs does. Otherwise, adding in things like RDL's, SLDL's, good mornings (maybe not with your shoulder and the ssb is going to hammer your upper back), GHR's, glute bridges would help.

Krieg - I admit it, I have not read supertraining. I'll get on it. I notice in that continuum something interesting: there seems to be an order both of "carryover value" (strength helps endurance but not as much vice versa), but also there is a clear acquisition / maintenance / loss continuum in that list. Power endurance is very hard to acquire, maintain, and loses quickly (higher level bouldering comes to mind). Strength sticks around. A good example - once I got over a 500 pound deadlift, even after taking 6 months off I could rep 315 for 6.

And finally, as a personal update - lifting has been shitty lately. bad sleep plus life stress. Last week 260x5 squatting (building back up after some serious off time), last night 260x3 :(. Thursday going to hammer at it again.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »
To Bo: congrats on the safety squat bar. They are very nice, but your training may have to adjust due to this bar being almost a front squat rather than a low bar back squat (lbbs) so your PC is going to need additional / adjusted work load. A giant cambered bar (or a spider bar) may be a good purchase if you are wanting to keep p.c. work high similar to a lbbs, which I'm assuming you are doing since high bar generally doesn't have the shoulder torque that an lbbs does. Otherwise, adding in things like RDL's, SLDL's, good mornings (maybe not with your shoulder and the ssb is going to hammer your upper back), GHR's, glute bridges would help.

I have read about the phenomenon of the SSB being less PC-oriented. I have been doing HBBS, but it is indeed still too much torque for my shoulder to sustain.  I've been to a doc, there's nothing structurally wrong, it's all postural.  I've actually read that Good mornings with the SSB are excellent.  I'm not so worried about hammering the upper back, as it's mainly the shoulder external rotation that gives me issues.   I'm certainly going to be stepping up the PC work... and I've never actually done RDL's in my program, but will probably have to as you said.

I've thought about the difference between a cambered bar and a SSB, but the cambered bar seems to still have you in external rotation, with a decent stress on the shouldered, whereas the SSB has you in a very neutral position.

Storypage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2013, 11:31:07 AM »

Just so I understand...

It sounds as though most of you equate strength with fitness. Is that the case? Because in my experience and observation, people can be strong without being fit, and fit without being power-lifter strong.

Just curious.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2013, 12:01:12 PM »
Fitness is a nebulous term.  In my mind it only has meaning in reference to a goal.  If you want to be a long distance marathoner, you will not be fit for that activity by lifting weight.  If you want to do powerlifting, you're not going to be fit for that activity by regular jogging.

This is why it's silly to try and compare strength and endurance sports.  Hell, even comparing athletes from different sports is pretty meaningless.  Was Michael Jordan fitter than Lance Armstrong?  Is Ussain Bolt fitter than George St. Pierre?  Even if you equate 'fitness' with aesthetics, I know wrestlers who have never touched a barbell who are rippling balls of muscle.  I know people who powerlift who look like dough-balls.

This 'what type of exercise/sport is best' stuff is a bit silly.  Smacks of being in kindergarten and yelling 'My Dad's better than your Dad!'

Storypage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2013, 12:46:59 PM »

I should mention I equate fitness with health, not aesthetics. I also don't equate it with athletics. There are plenty of non-athletes who are fit. Athletics are about physical gifts and talent as much as anything. Michael Jordan was great because of his talent. Yes, he was definitely fit, but there are many ball players who are equally fit but will never attain his level of ability.

But maybe I'm thinking of it wrong, and maybe that is why the title of the thread is throwing me.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2013, 01:20:21 PM »

I should mention I equate fitness with health, not aesthetics. I also don't equate it with athletics. There are plenty of non-athletes who are fit. Athletics are about physical gifts and talent as much as anything. Michael Jordan was great because of his talent. Yes, he was definitely fit, but there are many ball players who are equally fit but will never attain his level of ability.

But maybe I'm thinking of it wrong, and maybe that is why the title of the thread is throwing me.

WARNING - This turned into a long rambling post, but I'm bored at work so I apologize well in advance to any and everyone that makes it to the end of this.

You are right, fitness is not on the health spectrum. Elite athletes are barely held together by rehab and drugs.

I started reading some supertraining and this book is fantastic, it very much lines out some things that my lifting buddies discuss a lot.

Here are the criteria for "fit":
Speed
Strength
Stamina
Suppleness / Flexibility
Skill
Structure
Spirit (psychological preparedness)

Specificity is the overlay if you are to bar-chart out fitness between individuals. Now, some of this shit is hard coded genetic (speed, structure, and skill if we define by hand-eye coordination), so no amount of skill/strength/spirit is going to make a olympic sprinter out of a midget. Some of them probably match up dollar for dollar across sports, so you could take twins and make one an olympic wrestler and the other... perhaps an olympic gymnast. And then there's going to be a genetic limit on how many of those bars each person can fill.. So fit depends on the specificity of the overlaid requirements of the sports as to how a person will perform in the upper echelon of sport.

For those of us who focus on strength as fit (now this is back to non-elite athletes), we also see carryover into other "fit" criteria - you can be shitty at football, but if you squat 350 pounds, the cardio dude is going to bounce off you in a pickup game. And you are carrying your girlfriend up a flight a stairs and down the hall without sucking air because she's only 40% of your carrying capacity instead of 95% (less cardio). And your heart is still in good shape, and your blood pressure is low, etc. Aerobic activities really well and truly don't provide these skill carryovers, unless you lose a tire in the middle of the desert and need to jog at a moderate pace for hours on end, which is why they get tossed to the side more often than not.

At least that makes sense to me, but I've always been in HIIT / strength activities (gymnast, wrestler, powerlifter, rock climber). A cardio person probably has a completely opposite thought process :).

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »

What would you like to see in a fitness thread?

Because really, it's a matter of definition. If you're referring to fitness (or health?) as simply a lack of pathology, then there isn't much discussion to be had there.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2013, 08:44:29 PM »
I'm sure we can all agree that this thread is for the pursuit of excellence in any of the physical attributes (as in Supertraining, which jba laid out), right? Not simply a lack of deathliness?

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2013, 09:06:50 PM »

Here are the criteria for "fit":
Speed
Strength
Stamina
Suppleness / Flexibility
Skill
Structure
Spirit (psychological preparedness)

Agreed, but you left out some that don't start with S.  Agility, balance, proprioception.  I suppose you could try to force them all uder "skill", but agility and balance are rather different than, say, hitting a ball with a stick.

For those of us who focus on strength as fit (now this is back to non-elite athletes), we also see carryover into other "fit" criteria - you can be shitty at football, but if you squat 350 pounds, the cardio dude is going to bounce off you in a pickup game.
Not in my experience.  The cardio dude is going to run circles around you.  Possibly literally.  You aren't going to catch him.  And when it comes time for him to take you down, momentum is what counts, not just mass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV6QhFYxqc8 (0:43)

And you are carrying your girlfriend up a flight a stairs and down the hall without sucking air because she's only 40% of your carrying capacity instead of 95% (less cardio). And your heart is still in good shape, and your blood pressure is low, etc. Aerobic activities really well and truly don't provide these skill carryovers, unless you lose a tire in the middle of the desert and need to jog at a moderate pace for hours on end, which is why they get tossed to the side more often than not.

At least that makes sense to me, but I've always been in HIIT / strength activities (gymnast, wrestler, powerlifter, rock climber). A cardio person probably has a completely opposite thought process :).

I think you are getting to the heart of it: you can judge a sport's general "fitness" by how well its practitioners can do other sports or activities.  The more of the 'S' list you posted above a sport or workout requires, the more it is making you generally fit (and not just fit for one narrow specific activity).  How fast can the power lifter sprint, and how much can the runner clean and press?

I think there comes a point where the only thing additional weight training does is make you more able to lift straight bars with iron plates on the end.  In my experience, a lot of guys who spend a lot of time at the gym have a whole heck of a lot more trouble carrying furniture and appliances up a couple flights of stairs than a 60 year old Guatemalan day laborer who's only "exercise" comes in the form of work.  Since I've noticed that trend, I no longer delude myself that I lift for the sake of fitness - its pretty much purely appearance.

The activities that require strength AND endurance AND skill, those are what test real fitness - gymnastics, parkour http://youtu.be/0VFF4oFqpRI, military bootcamp, American Ninja, the World's Toughest Mudder, maybe MMA (esp. back before the rounds became so short).

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2013, 03:08:19 PM »
Oh thank god. I thought I killed the thread. This is a good response, thanks Bakari!

Agreed, but you left out some that don't start with S.  Agility, balance, proprioception.  I suppose you could try to force them all uder "skill", but agility and balance are rather different than, say, hitting a ball with a stick.

I think agility and balance are covered under Skill, Speed, Strength, Suppleness, and Spirit. You can practice balance, agility to a lesser extent (there's speed issues here). I do not know enough about proprioception to even respond, but that is an interesting point to look into. I do THINK it's trainable, which would classify itself as a skill.

Not in my experience.  The cardio dude is going to run circles around you.  Possibly literally.  You aren't going to catch him.  And when it comes time for him to take you down, momentum is what counts, not just mass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV6QhFYxqc8 (0:43)

So it will depend here greatly on position and context. I have a cardio friend that I will never keep up with if I let him get away (which he knows and plans accordingly), but I could very well rush him down if I gave it some thought first. I think soccer would be a better cardio vs. strength comparison, most football plays (well, in the groups I play with) are sub 20 yards, which is not an aerobic cardio distance. Anyone should be able to sprint 20 yards even if they are pretty well gassed. In this case, Power (combination of Strength and Speed) is going to make the day. However, Speed is not trainable in leaps and bounds the way Strength is. So, we go back to Strength assuming all other things equal. A better cardio-sport overlay would be soccer, in which case I would vomit a lung before the halfway point.

I think you are getting to the heart of it: you can judge a sport's general "fitness" by how well its practitioners can do other sports or activities.  The more of the 'S' list you posted above a sport or workout requires, the more it is making you generally fit (and not just fit for one narrow specific activity).  How fast can the power lifter sprint, and how much can the runner clean and press?

This is a good point. However, some of these are trainable and some are not. You can train yourself to bully up a 400 pound squat. Not many people can ever be trained to sprint a sub 11 100m. This is even testable - try to improve your vertical leap or do an over the head hammer throw with a nominal weight. Both of these are very speed dependent and cannot be improved much more than 25% or so (channeling rippetoe here). My first squat attempt was a failed 95 pounds. So I'm almost quadruple in Strength development.

I think there comes a point where the only thing additional weight training does is make you more able to lift straight bars with iron plates on the end.  In my experience, a lot of guys who spend a lot of time at the gym have a whole heck of a lot more trouble carrying furniture and appliances up a couple flights of stairs than a 60 year old Guatemalan day laborer who's only "exercise" comes in the form of work.  Since I've noticed that trend, I no longer delude myself that I lift for the sake of fitness - its pretty much purely appearance.

Maybe, maybe not. I outpaced the movers we used last year when we went from a townhome to a 3rd story apartment. For 7 straight hours. In this instance, my greater Strength and moderate Skill (moving heavy shit in a gym) were sufficient to outlast their greater Skill (moving furniture requires certain technique), greater Stamina, and lesser Strength. Maybe the guys who you see spend a lot of time in the gym are "working out" instead of training. Can they squat 400 pounds? Deadlift 500? OHP 225? If so, I'd question them gassing out carrying chairs down a hall.

Now, I want to specifically omit the Major Powerlifter / Big Ass Bodybuilder which you may be referring to. In this case, their Strength has come at the cost of everything else in the S list in order to be the best. Specialization has its costs, and that is an extremely valid point.

The activities that require strength AND endurance AND skill, those are what test real fitness - gymnastics, parkour http://youtu.be/0VFF4oFqpRI, military bootcamp, American Ninja, the World's Toughest Mudder, maybe MMA (esp. back before the rounds became so short).

All sports require some component from all of the Fit categories, which is why Fit is an activity-specific definition. Your specific definition of "fit" is a moderate balance of all the categories, with a high Skill component (put a gymnast in MMA though, he's going to get his face eaten. So now is he unfit? No, he has a low Skill in fighting). Even being a strongman takes skill, picking up an atlas stone the wrong way is not going to carry the day.

Now, in terms of crossover, what can we move from sport to sport? Skill? Only moderately, unless the Skill is highly similar (gymnasts -> parkour). Suppleness, definitely, although I wouldn't bet my life on yoga. Spirit for sure, "born athletes" have it. Speed? Not really, once you have speed you have it you are limited by Skill specificity.  Stamina and Strength, which are both HIGHLY trainable and HIGHLY commutable. However, Strength builds and holds well, and does not detract from the other components the way high Stamina do.

I promise I'll write more cohesively next time, I just finished deadlifting and I'm a little foggy. Here's my argument - for Fit, I put Strength on a pedestal. The rest are very specific, very long tailed to develop, or are just plain genetically capped.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2013, 06:55:42 AM »
This is a good point. However, some of these are trainable and some are not. You can train yourself to bully up a 400 pound squat. Not many people can ever be trained to sprint a sub 11 100m. This is even testable - try to improve your vertical leap or do an over the head hammer throw with a nominal weight. Both of these are very speed dependent and cannot be improved much more than 25% or so (channeling rippetoe here). My first squat attempt was a failed 95 pounds. So I'm almost quadruple in Strength development.

If you are looking at it as "what is the most efficient to gain fitness (i.e. how much can one improve by training) then you certainly make a strong case for it.

Maybe, maybe not. I outpaced the movers we used last year when we went from a townhome to a 3rd story apartment. For 7 straight hours. In this instance, my greater Strength and moderate Skill (moving heavy shit in a gym) were sufficient to outlast their greater Skill (moving furniture requires certain technique), greater Stamina, and lesser Strength. Maybe the guys who you see spend a lot of time in the gym are "working out" instead of training. Can they squat 400 pounds? Deadlift 500? OHP 225? If so, I'd question them gassing out carrying chairs down a hall.

Now, I want to specifically omit the Major Powerlifter / Big Ass Bodybuilder which you may be referring to. In this case, their Strength has come at the cost of everything else in the S list in order to be the best. Specialization has its costs, and that is an extremely valid point.
Yeah, you are right - the people I am referring to are definitely more focused on looks than functional strength (and/or don't know any better).  That seems to be the vast majority of gym rats I've come across.

Beginner Programming (coming soon)
Intermediate Programming (coming soon)
Injury Prevention and Treatment (coming soon)
Resources (coming soon)

Hey, Tuyop!
"coming soon" was like 5 months ago!

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2013, 08:59:17 PM »

If you are looking at it as "what is the most efficient to gain fitness (i.e. how much can one improve by training) then you certainly make a strong case for it.

Yeah, you are right - the people I am referring to are definitely more focused on looks than functional strength (and/or don't know any better).  That seems to be the vast majority of gym rats I've come across.

Beginner Programming (coming soon)
Intermediate Programming (coming soon)
Injury Prevention and Treatment (coming soon)
Resources (coming soon)

Hey, Tuyop!
"coming soon" was like 5 months ago!

Haha, oh man! I'll see about starting on that this weekend. It's just that nobody has come with any real concerns about that stuff!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2013, 08:49:36 AM »

Haha, oh man! I'll see about starting on that this weekend. It's just that nobody has come with any real concerns about that stuff!

You always gotta remember, there are like 100 lurkers for every poster.

Also, I'm interested in what you're gonna write

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2013, 03:00:59 PM »
Here, I will bait Tuyop by starting things:

Beginner Programming - weekly progression
Good Example - starting strength, TM, madcow

Intermediate Programming - Monthly progression
Good Example - 5/3/1, Sheiko

And so forth.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2013, 06:41:10 AM »
I'm thinking that I might do a post on DIY workout equipment . . . giving some plans for building a weight bench, squat stands, chin up bar, etc. from scraps or cheap material you have kicking around.  It's a lot easier than you might think, and holds up pretty well to wear and tear.  Here's a 10$ (three 2x4s, a scrap door, and some bolds) weight bench:

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »
That is pretty sweet. I don't know if I'd fully trust wood for squat stands but I think I'll have to make a bench for the wife, her torso is too narrow for a competition-wide bench.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2013, 03:57:27 PM »
Why is that a problem? Seems like more of an advantageous thing to me...

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2013, 09:07:08 AM »
With mine she is essentially doing a floor press and she doesn't like it. Since she has no interest in powerlifting I hit a wall trying to get her to do the hard PL arch (otherwise she can't touch). To her credit, she got her squat up to 115 @ 105 pretty quickly (before starting her CPA, so now there's 0 lifting on her side) and was OHP'ing 60 for singles so I conceded trying to get her bench up as she actually enjoys everything else.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2013, 04:03:35 PM »
Ohhh, yea I see. Yea that would be a problem.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2013, 12:59:58 PM »
Hi fellow fitness people! Just read a bunch of your posts and thought I'd say hello, I'm from a bit of a different end of the fitness world. I think of being fit as:

having a high muscle percentage to fat percentage
being very strong
building strength based primarily on resistance
having excellent stamina
the ability to bounce back and heal
building muscles that are transferable to VARIOUS activities
agility, balance, & flexibility (this is overlooked a lot, in my opinion especially by many men, but most injuries happen because of a lack of flexibility, or balance- definitely a strength!)

I am a 26 year old female (5'2", about 104lbs.), I've always been very in shape- I started training in classical russian ballet at age 5- so that was pretty much that, I was immediately hooked. I continued ballet into pro training until age 22 or so. Now I'm expanding my horizons by learning aerial arts like aerial silks, acrobatics, etc.

I also had ACL surgery a year ago (only needed about 4 months of PT as opposed to the 1 YEAR they quoted me). They also said I would not get full hyper-extension back in my injured knee, well I slept with a pile of books on my knee for a month and guess what? I have full 100% flexibility back. The PT thought I was a total psychopath. 

Oh and when I was 13 I had a 23 hour surgery on my spinal cord, bunch of metal holding me together back there, five ribs removed (yep, they grow back, it's horrific), hip surgery as well. I was told I wouldn't walk again, well, I got into a professional ballet school 1.5 years after that surgery. So basically I'm a tough motherfucker, but if you look at me you just see this lithe small girl "ballerina".

Fitness and strength are definitely aesthetic to me, probably because I do gravitate toward aesthetically oriented types of physical activity.  I think when you're totally toned anything is easier, and I believe that resistance training and the muscles that it builds are stronger and more resilient than any type of weight based training can give you. I have recovered from medical stuff along side big lacrosse players, slim runners, and bulky lifters and absolutely whizzed by them time and time again. In my experience the fastest recoveries were held by a few major disciplines: classical dance, martial arts, gymnastics, and swimming.

I'm not disparaging what works for anyone else, this is just my two cents on fitness and badassity in general.

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2013, 01:29:36 PM »

Fitness and strength are definitely aesthetic to me, probably because I do gravitate toward aesthetically oriented types of physical activity.  I think when you're totally toned anything is easier, and I believe that resistance training and the muscles that it builds are stronger and more resilient than any type of weight based training can give you. I have recovered from medical stuff along side big lacrosse players, slim runners, and bulky lifters and absolutely whizzed by them time and time again. In my experience the fastest recoveries were held by a few major disciplines: classical dance, martial arts, gymnastics, and swimming.

I'm curious on what exactly you mean by "resistance training" above.  By the definition that I have always seen, resistance training involves any movement where you work against an external force/resistance, typically gravity.  This encompasses weight lifting, weight machines, body-weight exercises, and similar movements which I believe you are lumping under "weight based training".  Instead, you seem to be equating it to the four disciplines that you listed at the end, none of which I would say fit under that category (well, maybe swimming under a very broad definition. )

Also, I would say that simple barbell training easily affects many of the fitness 'targets' that you mentioned, with the exception being healing potential (which as I understand it is largely genetic).  I am an avid rock climber and cyclist, I have taught Muay Thai, and I have practiced simple gymnastics in the past. With all of that, I have never seen something that builds transferable strength and skill quite like a simple barbell.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2013, 06:14:47 AM »
Hi fellow fitness people! Just read a bunch of your posts and thought I'd say hello, I'm from a bit of a different end of the fitness world. I think of being fit as:

being very strong
having excellent stamina
agility, balance, & flexibility (this is overlooked a lot, in my opinion especially by many men, but most injuries happen because of a lack of flexibility, or balance- definitely a strength!)

I am a 26 year old female (5'2", about 104lbs.), I've always been very in shape- I started training in classical russian ballet at age 5- so that was pretty much that, I was immediately hooked. I continued ballet into pro training until age 22 or so. Now I'm expanding my horizons by learning aerial arts like aerial silks, acrobatics, etc.

I also had ACL surgery a year ago (only needed about 4 months of PT as opposed to the 1 YEAR they quoted me). They also said I would not get full hyper-extension back in my injured knee, well I slept with a pile of books on my knee for a month and guess what? I have full 100% flexibility back. The PT thought I was a total psychopath. 

Oh and when I was 13 I had a 23 hour surgery on my spinal cord, bunch of metal holding me together back there, five ribs removed (yep, they grow back, it's horrific), hip surgery as well. I was told I wouldn't walk again, well, I got into a professional ballet school 1.5 years after that surgery. So basically I'm a tough motherfucker, but if you look at me you just see this lithe small girl "ballerina".

I'm not disparaging what works for anyone else, this is just my two cents on fitness and badassity in general.

I take you mean resistance training as "body weight" type exercises? Dancing, martial arts etc..?  While it seems you are a high level athlete, and what you say about flexibility is absolutely true, what you claim about weight training is false.....sort of.  It depends on what you are talking about.  Are you talking about bicep curls, tri extension etc...?  Or are you talking about complex movements squats, dead lifts, the Olympic lifts?

Barbell movements are complex and require high degrees of flexibility.  The benefits they provide can be found no where else.  If done properly over time they strengthen and enlarge your tendons, they increase your bone density, give you the strength required to lift a grocery bag when you are 80, and can prevent many back problems people tend to have as they age.

Most of these benefits are strictly due to the body adapting the carrying a heavy load, something which body weight anything could never do by itself.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2013, 08:23:01 AM »

being very strong

Strength.

having excellent stamina
Stamina.

Spirit, mostly. Recovery is trainable (Bulgarians), but having a very substantial amount of experience in this realm, I'm going to go with Spirit.

Strength, Skill.

Suppleness, Skill.

Fitness and strength are definitely aesthetic to me, probably because I do gravitate toward aesthetically oriented types of physical activity.  I think when you're totally toned anything is easier, and I believe that resistance training and the muscles that it builds are stronger and more resilient than any type of weight based training can give you. I have recovered from medical stuff along side big lacrosse players, slim runners, and bulky lifters and absolutely whizzed by them time and time again.

As you see above, we aren't in disagreement, just have to normalize our terms to be on the same page. I would agree also that every child should start a gymnast at a young age to develop their proprioception / coordination (is that developable or do highly coordinated kids gravitate towards gymnastics?). I believe it is a developable and transferrable in the Skill definition and could give a shitload of reasons why but since I overtype I'll omit for now. Low bodyfat is really just a byproduct of the work done and I suppose could be only Structure component you can manipulate (high bodyfat powerlifters -> medium bodyfat cold weather outdoor workers -> low bodyfat spinters).

In my experience the fastest recoveries were held by a few major disciplines: classical dance, martial arts, gymnastics, and swimming.

Now here I will disagree. None of these disciplines have an exceedingly high intensity (as a % of max force generation), they are more impacted by Speed (a non-trainable limiter) and Stamina. Intensity is what really determines your recovery. Even gymnastics.

Gymnasts keep coming up which I would also state as a "generally fit" person by requirements of the task, which requires an appreciable level of all the "S" criteria I listed earlier. I would put wrestlers in there too. But, there are a million other ways to example "fit" as fit is context dependent. Decathaletes for example. Or a strongman. Or an F1 driver (in which you need shitloads of Speed/Spirit/Skill and a tiny Structure).

Although I am confused by your resistance vs. weight training discussion. Weights are resistance and muscles give 0 shits about where the resistance is coming from. They know on and off. The rest of it is Skill.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2013, 09:42:12 AM »
I realized I made a mistake up there but couldn't edit it. Volume is a primary indicator for fatigue, not intensity (which is secondary). So I need to rewrite that disagreement part, but I'm going to stick mostly to what I said and explain it better.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2013, 10:17:37 AM »
Ah, by resistance training (maybe not the perfect term), I mean using your own body's resistance to strengthen muscles rather than something outside of your body (like weights). It requires technique to practice it correctly (which is part of why many dance moves look super easy to do but aren't easy to do correctly, same with martial arts) but the thinking behind it is that you are able to build layered muscle faster and more evenly, and that by using your own body as resistance you will also be more in touch with what is happening. It's why certain types of athletes are strong with thin frames while others bulk up, self-resistance won't make you bulk (of course part of this is genetic as well we know) and if you don't bulk up flexibility is much much easier, as is balance.

It's the transferability primarily that I think makes it more effective, I believe (and again this is just my own personal/professional experience) that self-resistance trained muscles are more transferable in that I can never ever go to the gym, but I could sit down and leg press 180 cold (I weigh between 103-105), whereas someone who does the leg press every day could not necessarily hold their leg up for the necessary time in certain dance (picture putting your leg out to the side, even only two feet off the ground, and holding it there for several minutes perfectly still). This is because by doing leg press or whatever, you're only working one function of your leg muscles, pushing. You're not working anything else at the same time, your inner thighs get no benefit, which is what you would need to hold your leg up for a long time. By contrast doing a series of plies, if done properly, will work every single area of your legs at the same time, inner thigh, outer, calves, bottom, achilles tendon stretch, works your core because of positioning as well, etc. It is in this way that I feel self-resistance is more efficient. When injury occurs often you must rely on muscles that you don't normally, if you only develop a tiny subset of what legs can do then if one function decreases you have nothing to fall back on. It's also great because self-resistance requires absolutely no materials. I realize of course that gym and crossfit folks carefully plan their workouts to do various parts of their bodies, so clearly they aren't just doing leg presses and nothing else, but I've just found personally that when I only do gym stuff, and then take a class out of the blue, I'm DYING. But, if I take class all the time, and then drop into the gym, it's so easy that it isn't even challenging. Again, to reiterate since people seem a bit on edge, this is just in my experience and many that I have seen in my particular are. 

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2013, 08:20:34 PM »
If that's directed at me, I promise I'm not on edge. I just seem to have difficulty with typing momentum on these sorts of topics :).

Layered muscle is not a thing, but I believe I know what you are getting at as it relates to a general muscle balance issues (the gymcurlbros are what I'm thinking of as the anti-person here). Being "in touch" is proproception and balance, which are both trainables AND are commutable Skills (doing a backflip on it's own isn't useful as a wrestler, but keeping your shit together upside down certainly helps. As a former gymnast and wrestler, I had fantastic balance / coordination compared to my teammates).  Now, you aren't going to get bulky simply because there is not enough accommodating resistance to do so. There is a diminishing scale, once you are strong enough do a bunch of one legged jumping pistol squats, your legs are as strong as they are going to get doing bodyweight. There just isn't the means to simulate, with a bodyweight exercise, a 400 pound squat or a 500 pound deadlift, or a super-bodyweight press. In terms of all-around strength (your point to the "all parts of the leg"), a proper routine of big movements would take care of most, if not all, of the issues aside from the high-specificity things that dancers, climbers, etc. do. Sure, you aren't going to "feel the deep burn of the whateverthefuckmuscles" from a one legged inverted bosu-ball whatever, but it's vastly irrelevant. Hell I just stood on one foot for a minute with my leg sideways (ish?) and aside from the knot quickly forming, I don't do that ever.

So while there are a lot of pretty strong ass gymnasts, none of them are going to show Pyrros Dimas a thing or two about strong shoulders. And while Usain Bolt can outrun a cheetah, he's not going to beat Pudzianowski to the end of the line with an 800 pound chain in tow regardless of how many sprints he does. Although now I'm up in the world of the real-world min-maxers, while I believe most people want an even blend of fit. Though I would still suggest that most people's idea of fit is incorrect and they need to get under a barbell first and foremost (unless they are children, then gymnastics + a little barbell) and keep going until someone asks "hey are you on something?"

I found myself responding to the above post more than making my own points. Hopefully this reads somewhat logically. It is now time for more scotch.

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2013, 06:52:58 AM »
Since we seem to be discussing the merits of barbell exercises recently, I thought I'd throw this MDA article in for discussion :p
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-barbell-dogma-doing-more-harm-than-good/#axzz2hPtAml4b

Also, has anyone ever done a good workout routine that involves only doing one large barbell lift a day and still make moderate progress with those lifts?  I'm trying to find a way to work in more sport specific work (boxing and rock climbing) without increasing time in the gym by too much.  I was thinking of modeling something after the 5/3/1 routine, but with a focus on weighted bodyweight and conditioning for the accessory work.  Has anyone had success with what seems like such a sparse program?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: October 11, 2013, 07:51:22 AM »
Since we seem to be discussing the merits of barbell exercises recently, I thought I'd throw this MDA article in for discussion :p
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-barbell-dogma-doing-more-harm-than-good/#axzz2hPtAml4b

Also, has anyone ever done a good workout routine that involves only doing one large barbell lift a day and still make moderate progress with those lifts?  I'm trying to find a way to work in more sport specific work (boxing and rock climbing) without increasing time in the gym by too much.  I was thinking of modeling something after the 5/3/1 routine, but with a focus on weighted bodyweight and conditioning for the accessory work.  Has anyone had success with what seems like such a sparse program?

I just did the clean and press and snatch a couple times a week while working on my boxing training.  The olympic lifts seemed to help explosiveness, which was a big help.  They also don't seem to bulk you up, which is important when you need to make a weight class.  At some point you will have to pick between your sport and lifting weights . . . you can't be faithful to two mistresses.

IMHO the best way to train a sport (ESPECIALLY a combat sport) is to practice it.  The time you spend learning to anticipate what your opponent is about to do, and to deal with maintaining composure after being hurt and feeling wobbly is going to be a much bigger help to you than extra strength.

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2013, 08:33:38 AM »

I just did the clean and press and snatch a couple times a week while working on my boxing training.  The olympic lifts seemed to help explosiveness, which was a big help.  They also don't seem to bulk you up, which is important when you need to make a weight class.  At some point you will have to pick between your sport and lifting weights . . . you can't be faithful to two mistresses.

IMHO the best way to train a sport (ESPECIALLY a combat sport) is to practice it.  The time you spend learning to anticipate what your opponent is about to do, and to deal with maintaining composure after being hurt and feeling wobbly is going to be a much bigger help to you than extra strength.

Agreed on the point of putting in the training time to really get better, but I actually count that separate from my lifting time and still want to get some decent lifting time in at all times.  I have been doing cleans, but I will look in to focusing on it more in the future.

Also, I should mention that by "boxing" I mean muay thai/kickboxing.  The kicks, especially my all time favorite push kick, are the biggest reason that I do want to continue to make some continuous progress with the squat and deadlift.  One of my training parters is ~60 lbs heavier than me, and I'm fairly certain my squat and clean training is the reason I can still throw him back a couple of feet with a good push kick ;)

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2013, 09:40:17 AM »

Haha, fair. I'll retract, which I probably should have done a while ago (I just enjoy the banter a little too much!).

I think a sparse program can be effective, I know some guys that lift twice a week and are strong as hell. But, I'm pretty sure they do little else. You just have to modulate your intensity appropriately and schedule correctly to deal with fatigue (so probably not do your heavy squats the day before your kickboxing, and keep a few days between climbing and deadlifting / chins). Also with what Guitar said, at some point you have to look at maintenance / minimizing backpedaling one in favor of advancing another.

What's your schedule, goals, bodyweight, current numbers, etc? Might be good to talk through it to try to get a plan.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2013, 12:00:37 PM »
Also, I should mention that by "boxing" I mean muay thai/kickboxing.  The kicks, especially my all time favorite push kick, are the biggest reason that I do want to continue to make some continuous progress with the squat and deadlift.  One of my training parters is ~60 lbs heavier than me, and I'm fairly certain my squat and clean training is the reason I can still throw him back a couple of feet with a good push kick ;)

Strength is often a way to make up for a deficit of talent.  I've seen little guys with great teep technique place the ball of their feet exactly on the solar plexus of large guys and toss them all over the place.  That said, a 60 lb mismatch is pretty significant, I'm sure the squats don't hurt!

cosmie

• Stubble
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2013, 11:24:01 PM »
This thread is a starting point for Mustachians who are already very fit and swole to hang out and talk about being fit and swole, and for Mustachians who want to fix their lives and bodies by becoming fit and swole.

So I fall into this second camp, and figure this thread is as good a place as any to ask for advice.

I'm 5'10", 150-160lbs, completely out of shape. I'm fortunate to have a high metabolism and decent body shap despite lack of exercise and poor diet, so body image has never been a motivator to get into an exercise routine. I do walk on average about 5 miles a day on a hilly campus, so there's that.

I'm looking specifically for an exercise routine that focuses on building stability, not necessarily strength. I've had some right knee pain over the past several months, and at the few PT sessions I had for it, hamstring and FTL stretches seemed to temporarily alleviate the problem. With that, I'm fairly confident my issue is stemming from my lack of regular exercise (besides my normal daily walking) and want to correct that. I'm hoping that by actually developing those muscles (rather than just stretching them), my issues will go away.

I do have a huge gym available to me on campus, but it's unstaffed. I've gone there a few times, but it's usually pretty awkward. None of the people I've met there seem too willing to offer pointers, and trying to fuddle through the weights amongst a bunch of people my size lifting 250+ lbs was a bit demotivating. So I usually just stick with cycling ~10-20 miles and call it a day. None of my friends are that fitness conscious, so I haven't found a buddy to workout with either.

So - with that said - anyone have any pointers on where I should get started? I've seen a few routines mentioned throughout the thread, but I don't know how to evaluate which ones best align with what I'm looking for.