Author Topic: Tell us one thing you have done that no one else here has.  (Read 95751 times)

radram

• Pencil Stache
Re: Tell us one thing you have done that no one else here has.
« Reply #200 on: October 15, 2017, 06:51:35 AM »
You guys and gals have cool and interesting experiences, except you Rosy - those are scary!  I've been sitting above the boom operator while refueling a B1 bomber, so strike that one from the list. 

You got me, unless you were not in the cockpit during landing. In that case, I will sheepishly claim no one else has done it. I guess if you say you were in the cock pit on another flight, then I am out :)

It is quite a view from up there isn't it?

I've been both in the back with the boom operator and in the cockpit (entire flight), but those were two separate flights.

I'm out :)

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #201 on: October 15, 2017, 10:24:16 AM »
I ate a tarantula in Cambodia.

I was not keen on the juicy cockroach however.

I had crunchy cockroach once. Must have fallen into the bread dough and got baked in. It was years before I could eat cream cheese sandwiches after that without gagging.

Did enjoy roasted armadillo. Whale, on the other hand, was nasty.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #202 on: October 15, 2017, 10:54:59 AM »

I had crunchy cockroach once. Must have fallen into the bread dough and got baked in. It was years before I could eat cream cheese sandwiches after that without gagging.

I ate nearly raw porcupine once. Also not great.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: October 15, 2017, 01:31:06 PM »
Ladymarkbike528cbx was bitten on the lip by a turtle.
At age 50. In her ex-husband's backyard ( his turtle).

Her friend was holding said turtle, insisting that Ladymarkbike528cbx " kiss the turtle".

You may be amazed to find out that alchohol was involved.

Corrective surgery was required.

I did get permission to relay this story.

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #204 on: October 16, 2017, 08:28:52 AM »
Got invited to a beach party held for all the Miss World contestants. Ended up chatting to the mother of Miss Venezuela. mmm...

Met Nelson Mandela.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #205 on: October 16, 2017, 08:53:18 AM »
I was a realtor for two years, first transaction was as a buyer's agent for a $10.5M house.  Also, was a caterer for about 8 years, one of our first catering jobs was for MTV for the cast of Real World/Road Rules.  I've never seen so many empty liquor bottles and underwear laying randomly around a house when we brought breakfast each morning.  Also catered for the BLM during wildfires, at 11,000 feet with no power for a couple photo shoots and for a Forbes 400 CEO's birthday weekend.  The number of CEOs and 1% at the weekend was pretty amazing.   

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »
I was a realtor for two years, first transaction was as a buyer's agent for a $10.5M house.  Also, was a caterer for about 8 years, one of our first catering jobs was for MTV for the cast of Real World/Road Rules.  I've never seen so many empty liquor bottles and underwear laying randomly around a house when we brought breakfast each morning.  Also catered for the BLM during wildfires, at 11,000 feet with no power for a couple photo shoots and for a Forbes 400 CEO's birthday weekend.  The number of CEOs and 1% at the weekend was pretty amazing.   

Black Lives Matter were at 11kft with some fire fighters and no power for a CEOs b-day?

Started a dance line at an Oktoberfest party in Japan.  5000+ people having a blast - I was probably one of five English speakers there.  They had a great classic rock cover band; I remember being shit-faced and wondering if any of the locals had any clue what "Sweet Home Alabama" was about.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2017, 09:59:55 PM »
I got in an argument with Marilyn Manson in the middle of a field outside of Budapest. We later made up and shared books (pre-Kindle days).

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #208 on: October 16, 2017, 10:30:36 PM »
Bilateral external fixators.

Not coincidentally, also on my anti-bucket list.  Not recommended.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2017, 04:37:26 AM »
Bilateral external fixators.

Not coincidentally, also on my anti-bucket list.  Not recommended.

Sol, you might want to add something to give your fixators uniqueness.   
I haven't had them, but I've seen them in my relatively tiny social circle, therefore I must assume they are common.
But ouch anyway.  I'll try to avoid the need for them.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #210 on: October 17, 2017, 07:35:09 AM »

Black Lives Matter were at 11kft with some fire fighters and no power for a CEOs b-day?

Started a dance line at an Oktoberfest party in Japan.  5000+ people having a blast - I was probably one of five English speakers there.  They had a great classic rock cover band; I remember being shit-faced and wondering if any of the locals had any clue what "Sweet Home Alabama" was about.

LOL...I have this instant of extreme confusion every single time the press reports on Black Lives Matter using the acronym.  I'm probably never going to get past life long conditioning for that acronym. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #211 on: October 17, 2017, 08:57:53 AM »
I haven't had them, but I've seen them in my relatively tiny social circle, therefore I must assume they are common.

Given your username, I'm fairly certain that your familiarity with bilateral fixators derives from the same place that mine does.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #212 on: October 17, 2017, 08:59:54 AM »

Fresh whale is delicious. But it doesn't age well, and you have to get rid of the blood. If not, it will soon develop a sharp taste of rancid cod liver oil. If that is what you found "nasty", you should consider giving whale a second chance.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: October 17, 2017, 09:48:41 AM »

Fresh whale is delicious. But it doesn't age well, and you have to get rid of the blood. If not, it will soon develop a sharp taste of rancid cod liver oil. If that is what you found "nasty", you should consider giving whale a second chance.
I would have thought the problem of quantity would make the consumption of an entire whale while fresh somewhat problematic?

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #214 on: October 17, 2017, 10:37:13 AM »
Ate armadillo chili, served it its own shell. That's all I got.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #215 on: October 17, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »

I would have thought the problem of quantity would make the consumption of an entire whale while fresh somewhat problematic?

Presumably you invite the entire village and all the neighbouring villages and all of their wife's friends, their families, their families' servants and their families' servants' tennis partners and have a whale of a time!

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: October 17, 2017, 01:17:31 PM »

Presumably you invite the entire village and all the neighbouring villages and all of their wife's friends, their families, their families' servants and their families' servants' tennis partners and have a whale of a time!

There are these things called freezers.

But yeah; those natives who do subsistence hunting do share everything throughout the village, and it is often gone by the next day. They normally hunt the smaller ones, like pilot whales (up to 2 ton slaughterweight). The Faroese method, for instance, is to split each whale into 1-30 parts of around 30 kg blubber and 40 kg meat (measuring unit: skinn). Each hunter or village member gets 1/2-1 part, that each of them share with their extended family. The blubber can be salted and kept, and 20-40 kg of meat is not much when you share it with your family, friends, and neighbours.  The smallest whales are generally the most tender and taste best. When I was a kid, we got hold of a harbour porpoise that had drowned in a fishing net. The blubber was not edible, but the meat was very nice.

Meat from larger whales (primarily the minke) is only hunted commercially in small numbers and few places. These are slaughtered and frozen as soon as possible, but I personally find they taste rancid more often than not. If you go out to the islands and buy directly from the boats, you can be lucky. But the stuff you find in the freezers in larger towns is a game of chance.

Few servants or tennis courts in traditional whale hunting areas, BTW.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #217 on: October 17, 2017, 01:18:32 PM »
Bit by a monkey

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2017, 09:46:28 PM »
I hiked 70 miles eating only potato chips

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #219 on: October 18, 2017, 06:21:40 AM »

(It was a joke from Blackadder. I think I missed a bit off the end about some chap I met in the mess the other day called Bernard which might have made the joke more explicit. See also: whale of a time.)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #220 on: October 18, 2017, 09:29:03 AM »

(It was a joke from Blackadder. I think I missed a bit off the end about some chap I met in the mess the other day called Bernard which might have made the joke more explicit. See also: whale of a time.)

Since I love Blackadder, I got the joke!! You're not the only one, SLTD.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #221 on: October 18, 2017, 10:19:11 AM »

Since I love Blackadder, I got the joke!! You're not the only one, SLTD.

I do have a questionable sense of humour that revolves around puns and quotes from old British comedy shows. I have now learned to never ever try to explain why the joke is funny if someone hasn't seen the original... except sometimes I forget I have learned that! I am currently wearing these socks which I bought as a reference to a 1970s TV show: https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=11831843 Such points if anyone gets the joke!

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #222 on: October 18, 2017, 11:10:47 AM »

(Must admit this one flew over my head. Have seen some of Blackadder, but I'm not the biggest fan of Atkinson. Probably heresy in British circles, but that is life.)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #223 on: October 18, 2017, 01:56:23 PM »
Lunch with Oprah.

This actually reminded me of one I forgot.  I was a member of a 3 person group selected to take Richard Leakey out to dinner after he gave a lecture at our university. I was thinking as I drove to the dinner that he might not want to talk more 'shop', but our group was biologists so that is indeed how the conversation started.  Leakey was obviously soon kind of bored and tuning out, so I asked him to tell us about his vineyard on the edge of the Rift Valley and how he got into wine-making, and BOOM, he lit up with happiness and talked like crazy the rest of the dinner. And invited us to come visit so he could show us around LOL.  Good job, me!

Lunch with Oprah was related to an award I received from a foundation when I was in high school.  I won a national journalism award.  I went to this thing out in California and it was a who's who of famous faces.  One of the days we had lunch with famous people.  I was so shy I could hardly talk to her, and regret it to this day.  This was during one of her famous liquid diet phases and she ate like two peas.  I remember getting announced for something (most of us did) and Tom Brokaw was at the next table.  As I rose from my seat to be acknowledged he smiled and gave me the nod.  (Presumably because it was a journalism award).  The whole thing is really surreal now.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #224 on: October 18, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »
Ooh, another one. Crashed a race car into a tire wall.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #225 on: October 18, 2017, 02:46:37 PM »
I was on a red-eye train from Rome to Munich. They vastly oversold the train. Not only were there no more seats available, but the hallway and ends of the cars (where the WCs are) were packed - standing room only.

We, of course, were right next to the WC door, so anyone who had any business to do had to go by me. At one point we think there were 5 women in that tiny closet. A young mother with an infant, and older woman who must have been her mother, and an even older woman who must have been her grandmother. And I don't know who all else. We joked about how many women it takes to change a diaper.

There was this German family with a mute teenage son heading home. There was an Italian lady with a 5-gallon jug of homemade wine. I was with a buddy who speaks English and German. The German family spoke German and Italian. The Italian lady spoke only Italian. And I speak only English. So, to communicate, my buddy spoke to the family in German, who then spoke to the lady in Italian. Then I heard about it in English.

That all got to be too much, so the lady opened her jug and started passing it around. Most of us took a polite sip, some of us a little more enthusiastically than others. But the lady spent the next several hours getting sloshed. A few hours into it, she was pinching my cheeks and shouting "¡Bellisimo!" and singing to me in sloshed Italian.

It was extremely cold. At some dark hour of the night, a young beautiful woman came back and we got to talking. She loaned me her jacket for the rest of the trip. She needed it back when she got off the train at dawn. I think she might have been an angel.

One train ride, so many memories.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: October 18, 2017, 04:34:59 PM »
Been mistaken as "oh and your wife" to more than one of my co-workers.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #227 on: October 18, 2017, 05:04:05 PM »
When I was 18, I did a century ride (about 110 miles, so a bit more than a century technically) on a Walmart bike. I didn't even know what a century ride was when I did it, I just didn't own a car and wanted to visit my college boyfriend over the summer who happened to live a long ways away.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #228 on: October 18, 2017, 05:22:28 PM »
When I was 18, I did a century ride (about 110 miles, so a bit more than a century technically) on a Walmart bike. I didn't even know what a century ride was when I did it, I just didn't own a car and wanted to visit my college boyfriend over the summer who happened to live a long ways away.

Whoa...that's dedication.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #229 on: October 18, 2017, 06:23:07 PM »

Not done myself, but I find it hard to believe that no one else has done that.

I'll see your car into tire wall and raise to motorcycle on top of the tire wall (sitting vertical too).

The corner worker asked " are you alright?"   Me: I'm fine but my wallet hurts real bad (brand new bike, new street plastic).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #230 on: October 18, 2017, 06:49:20 PM »

Not done myself, but I find it hard to believe that no one else has done that.

I'll see your car into tire wall and raise to motorcycle on top of the tire wall (sitting vertical too).

The corner worker asked " are you alright?"   Me: I'm fine but my wallet hurts real bad (brand new bike, new street plastic).

Ouch.

There aren't that many automotive enthusiasts here, given the nature of the forum.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #231 on: October 19, 2017, 03:38:25 AM »
Had lunch with Simon Sinek

Another random opportunity brought to me by my job. When I was invited I didn't even know who the guy was. After talking to him I watched his Ted Talk (in fact, he told us to watch the Ted Talk instead of buying his book because the main points were all in the talk).

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #232 on: October 19, 2017, 05:56:39 AM »
Been mistaken as "oh and your wife" to more than one of my co-workers.

Did not get that, could you elaborate?

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #233 on: October 19, 2017, 06:21:41 AM »
DMT

Wow.  Please provide trip information if you're willing.

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #234 on: October 19, 2017, 11:04:58 AM »
Tomorrow, and most Saturdays:
- take 7 children on an 8 mile walk for breakfast tacos

Explain how you make this death march happen. I'm taking notes.

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #235 on: October 19, 2017, 11:32:45 AM »
- Had a pretty cool tour de births: c-section, hospital VBAC, then homebirth. I sometimes get embarrassed saying I had my third in a kiddie pool on my back porch. lol
- With my husband, thwarted a man taking a drunk girl off for undoubtedly nefarious purposes (he was a 40+ yr old creeper taking a blind drunk high school girl from her shocked and panicking friends)
- Did a 3 mi mud run/obstacle in a wedding dress – including crinoline and train. I scaled climbing walls and swam in it. I won best female costume award.
- Streaked my college campus in an orange fake fur fedora, passing the president of the college and dean of students, among others

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #236 on: October 19, 2017, 11:41:24 AM »
snip,,,
- Streaked my college campus in an orange fake fur fedora, passing the president of the college and dean of students, among others

Was it neon orange?

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #237 on: October 19, 2017, 12:07:27 PM »
snip,,,

Was it neon orange?

Bright but not neon. It belonged to my grandmother so it was from the late 60s/early 70s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #238 on: October 19, 2017, 12:33:06 PM »
Tomorrow, and most Saturdays:
- take 7 children on an 8 mile walk for breakfast tacos

Explain how you make this death march happen. I'm taking notes.

I'm picturing cattle prods.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #239 on: October 19, 2017, 12:42:20 PM »
I was on a red-eye train from Rome to Munich. They vastly oversold the train. Not only were there no more seats available, but the hallway and ends of the cars (where the WCs are) were packed - standing room only.

<snip>

One train ride, so many memories.

That does sound awesome. It's amazing that the unplanned, somewhat awry, experiences often provide the best memories.

Oh, I've taken 7+ kids on a 8+ mile hike, though not to get breakfast tacos. They were at-risk youth, too, which counter-intuitively made them easier to control and more grateful to be hiking and away from their shitty home lives. One begged not to go back; she didn't get along with her stepfather.

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #240 on: October 19, 2017, 01:36:28 PM »
I worked for a smoked salmon company in remote northwest Scotland for two months. I got all the smoked salmon I could eat, and surprisingly didn't get sick of it. I experienced one of the hazards of the job when a kipper bone got lodged in my finger. I didn't notice until it had ballooned up to about twice its size and I had track marks going up my arm veins. Luckily I was able to get to a doctor (45 minute bus ride to the nearest one) before it got any worse.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #241 on: October 19, 2017, 04:12:01 PM »
I voted for Donald Trump....

I doubt you are the only one here who did that, now admitting it on the other hand, I think you might get the prize for that one.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2017, 06:00:18 PM »

I doubt you are the only one here who did that, now admitting it on the other hand, I think you might get the prize for that one.

Nah, there are a few..

Pushkina2

• Stubble
  • Proud Member of Prozac Nation
« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2017, 08:41:05 PM »
Judged the world's oldest female gymnast in Vault finals at an International Competition.

Oksana Chusovitina ?!?!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2017, 07:00:01 AM »

It's OK man, the first step is admitting that you have a problem.  :P

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2017, 07:16:45 AM »
Another +1 on the Mayan pyramid.

How about wandered around Agatha Christie's bedroom whilst dressed in a wetsuit?

I think my wife should get the prize though - bitten by a dead polar bear.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2017, 07:32:21 AM »
Details please.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #247 on: October 20, 2017, 07:50:48 AM »
Held a living human heart in my hands.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #248 on: October 20, 2017, 08:16:35 AM »
Details please.
DW's heavily pregnant friend went to stay at the friend's father's summer house with her toddler for a few days. DW volunteers to go help her - taking our baby plus toddler with her.  Puts baby to sleep in room with antique polar bear rug.  Baby cries.  Wife rushes in to settle him without turning light on.  Foot goes in bear's mouth.  Pregnant friend now has to look after two toddlers, one baby and DW who can't walk with stitches in her foot.  Apparently you really had to see the face of the doctor when he asked what had happened.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #249 on: October 20, 2017, 08:43:20 AM »
Details please.
DW's heavily pregnant friend went to stay at the friend's father's summer house with her toddler for a few days. DW volunteers to go help her - taking our baby plus toddler with her.  Puts baby to sleep in room with antique polar bear rug.  Baby cries.  Wife rushes in to settle him without turning light on.  Foot goes in bear's mouth.  Pregnant friend now has to look after two toddlers, one baby and DW who can't walk with stitches in her foot.  Apparently you really had to see the face of the doctor when he asked what had happened.
That had me in stitches. Great story.