Author Topic: Taking an extra computer to Europe  (Read 3051 times)

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
Taking an extra computer to Europe
« on: August 30, 2018, 02:17:11 PM »
European friend, despite me never excitingly agreeing to do this, ordered a computer for deliver to US and I'm supposed to take it to Europe to meet her in a couple weeks.

It looks like I need to go thru security at home and again in Heathrow before connecting elsewhere in Europe.

I will also be carrying my own personal computer as it's an extended trip.

Anything that I can or should do so I don't get stopped/searched?  I guess I need to charge her new computer in case.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Taking an extra computer to Europe
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 03:58:04 PM »
Wow what an odd thing to do.  I'd say charge up the computer but apart from that you don't need to do anything special. 

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 04:15:40 PM »
Given the security measure where computers need their own separate bin, carrying 2 computers in  your carry on may be a pain.  Can you put one in your checked bag? 

Also, this is probably obvious, but make sure you have the right type of charger or plug converter for Europe.  The plug style and voltage is different than in the US.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »
I carried 2 laptops for extended work trips: personal and work. One went in the carry-on backpack and one was kept in the laptop satchel. No one cared.

I don't recommend checking a laptop. It could get stolen. Remove the lithium battery though if you check it.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 04:37:05 PM »
Thanks all - that was my thought, just have them charged up.

I was definitely taking in my carry on.  Even in a locked checked bag I don't trust.

I have TSA precheck so I think OK in US - it's just going thru Heathrow.

I guess the taxes are really high to import said computer.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 07:14:53 PM »
It can be a pain but I have never had a problem bringing 2 computers to Europe (I've taken a work computer and my personal computer several times.)  I did have issues with customs in Peru, they wanted assumed I was leaving one there and wanted to charge me import taxes.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 10:22:39 PM »
Nobody will give a shit unless you start acting weird about it. Hundreds of passengers transit through Heathrow with their work and personal laptops every day.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 01:43:30 AM »
Computers and other electronics are slightly cheaper, as a rule, in the US than they are in Europe so I guess that's why s/he did it.  Not cool to not ask you first though.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 03:04:19 AM »
I've been through airport security several times with multiple computers.  During on series of flights (involving two passes through security), between DH and I we had 4 laptops (only 2 of which worked, which was a bit concerning for me, but they didn't ask us to turn them on, thankfully), 2 ipads, an external hard drive, a zillion cords, a small set of speakers, and probably more. 

We were taken aside and that bag was given extra scrutiny.  I'm sure the tangle or wires and electronics looked... interesting.  It was a pain because everything was very carefully Tetris-ed in that bag to make it fit.  But other than an extra 10 or so minutes in security for the inspection and the repack, it was fine.  This was in an Airport in Germany, and then again in the US after passing through customs during out layover. 

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 10:26:49 AM »
Technically you would owe a customs duty / VAT on a US purchase brought back to the UK.  Is your friend going to reimburse you if this happens?
You could take your chances and say nothing to declare, just don't get caught.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 11:40:05 AM »
From a security perspective I would not worry at all. I do this all the time both domestically and internationally and I have never had any trouble. Just get a sleeve and keep it in your carry on.

I would worry more about VAT/duty, and personally I would just pay it because I'm super law abiding like that. If you want to commit tax fraud make sure to ditch all the original packaging. If you do want to pay duty make sure to bring the receipt.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 12:04:04 PM »
Security is not the problem: Customs and Excise at Heathrow is.  When you disembark you will be faced with a red "goods to declare" or green "nothing to declare" lane to get through Customs.   If you take this brand new computer in its packaging through the green "nothing to declare" lane at customs you are committing a criminal offence (unless it is under the value at which duty is paid).   If you take it through the red lane you will have to pay import duty.   Not having proof that your money was used to buy it will make it hard for you to justify that you do not have to declare it as an import if you get stopped. 

You have the following options -

1.  Put the computer in the post, with a record of its value.  Your "friend" will have to pay customs to get it from the post office.

2.  Go through the red Customs channel at Heathrow, pay the duty and hope your "friend" reimburses you.

3.  Break the law by going through the green Customs channel at Heathrow, taking the computer out of its packaging and setting it up for yourself in advance, having an excuse ready for why you need to take two computers on your trip, and hoping for the best.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 01:07:45 PM »
^Option 1 for the win!

I travel internationally a fair amount. Anyone asking me to carry on something internationally for them so they can save a few bucks better have taken a bullet for me in the past. And even then, I'd probably still mail it and tell them it was my pleasure to pay the postage & insurance for their convenience. Then I'd shrug and feign cluelessness when they complain they now have to pay the taxes they were trying to avoid in the first place.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 03:55:32 PM »
Yeah, I don't even know this person that well... we traveled together for 8 days in Ethiopia last year  (met online to do that).   

We did have a bonding thing happen in Ethiopia  (you can see more info on that in the single mustache area).  But she also made me send her copies of all these photos I took there - took me a couple hours to go thru (and some painful to look at the time).   I really haven't asked her to do any favors (other than the fact she paid her half of the trip costs when we went). 

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 08:13:20 PM »
Oh dear, I didn't recognize your name and hadn't even put any of that together before. Mail it to her on Tuesday. Enclose a nice handwritten note if it makes you feel better.

Boundaries, JoJo, boundaries. It is important to have them and enforce them.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 12:13:24 AM »
"Friend, I'm packing up for my trip and wanted to let you know your computer is safely packed up in my carry on.  I'll let you know if there are any taxes due that I have to pay when I claim it coming through customs.  Looking forward to seeing you!"

Roger D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 04:29:47 AM »
Even after paying VAT and import duty, it will probably be significantly cheaper than buying the same thing locally.

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 07:15:36 PM »
This may be a genuine request, but it raises a huge number of red flags for me.

Someone you don't know terribly well.

Met online and whilst travelling.

Without really asking.

Delivering goods internationally.

Even if the computer is packaged as new, there's no way I'd contemplate this.  There are plenty of international drug mules who (claim to) have no idea what they're travelling with and are "just doing a favour for a friend".  ANYTHING could be packaged inside that computer and you won't know.

I wouldn't send through the mail.  I wouldn't take it with me.  I'd submit a delivery return with a "not known at this address" and leave for them to sort out the consequences.

It's probably innocent.  But there's a very large price for you to pay if it's not.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »
Its a legit concern. My info is a few years old, my traveling management consultant buddy did a stint in London... and two computers was a thing that could get you hassled.  I believe he had to document on the back end of a couple trips that he had removed both computers from the UK. 

I'm sure they would be happy if he had paid the import duty too. And of course there is the chance no one notices.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 09:53:21 AM »
Its a legit concern. My info is a few years old, my traveling management consultant buddy did a stint in London... and two computers was a thing that could get you hassled.  I believe he had to document on the back end of a couple trips that he had removed both computers from the UK. 

I'm sure they would be happy if he had paid the import duty too. And of course there is the chance no one notices.

UK is not my final destination so I don't think I need to go thru customs in Heathrow?  Only security.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 10:01:15 AM »
This may be a genuine request, but it raises a huge number of red flags for me.

Someone you don't know terribly well.

Met online and whilst travelling.

Without really asking.

Delivering goods internationally.

Even if the computer is packaged as new, there's no way I'd contemplate this.  There are plenty of international drug mules who (claim to) have no idea what they're travelling with and are "just doing a favour for a friend".  ANYTHING could be packaged inside that computer and you won't know.

I wouldn't send through the mail.  I wouldn't take it with me.  I'd submit a delivery return with a "not known at this address" and leave for them to sort out the consequences.

It's probably innocent.  But there's a very large price for you to pay if it's not.

I have absolutely 0% belief this is a red flag item.  It was purchased new from a reputable company and delivered directly, new, with receipt.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 10:49:33 AM »

UK is not my final destination so I don't think I need to go thru customs in Heathrow?  Only security.

If you are staying "airside" for a connection between international flights, then no, you don't go through customs at Heathrow.  Instead, you go through customs at your destination.  Which will have exactly the same "red/green" channels, exactly the same requirements to declare any imports and pay duties, and the same or similar penalties for illegally not paying duty.  The difference will be that you will be probably be running this gauntlet in a less familiar language and legal system and with fewer remedies and less access to legal assistance if things go wrong. 

It might also be worth mentioning that two computers with no good explanation (and "I'm bringing it in for a friend" is a red flag, not an explanation) might be seen as a security/terrorism risk.  In which case, even an unfounded investigation could give you difficulties for future international travel.

There is no way that complying with this burden imposed on you without asking by a chance-met acquaintance can do you any good at all.  And the warnings against bringing someone else's stuff on international flights and through customs are so many and so stark that even naievity doesn't generate any sympathy these days - everyone who has the wherewithal to get on board a plane should know better.

Please don't risk yourself in any way for this chance acquaintance.  There will be no sympathy for you anywhere if it goes wrong - the warnings against doing this sort of thing are strong and obvious.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 11:03:21 AM by former player »

Father Dougal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2018, 02:42:27 AM »
So, someone you don't know very well is asking you to smuggle something into Europe.  Is this the sort of friend worth keeping? It's not clear if she asked you before delivery of the laptop (did she mention it, or was it a surprise?).

I saw your African scam lover story too. Is there a part of you, even your subconscious, that enjoys this sort of drama? I apologise if this sounds brutal - you sound like a good person whom others try to exploit.  Perhaps there is a pattern here that I'm not sure you can see. Best of luck on your travels.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2018, 05:06:04 AM »
I HATE it when people do this.  My sister has lived abroad for a number of years and is forever mailing things to me (books, makeup) and asking me to add them to my luggage when I go to visit her.  I travel with a carry on only whenever possible and this is an incredibly annoying habit of hers because I have limited luggage space on purpose.  I usually refuse unless it’s a very small item that she can’t get wherever she happens to be living.  So whatever she mails me sits in a closet until she comes to the US.