Author Topic: Statistics update  (Read 12062 times)

Caroline PF

• Stubble
Re: Statistics update
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2018, 06:44:12 PM »
Therefore, being arrogant and a jerk is often a inexorable outcome from where I stand, for truth must be defended no matter what.
I started to see where I went wrong. I wish I had known better and understood sooner. But that's the nature of arguing on the internet via posts. If we had been face to face, someone would have pointed out my error ie, I took P(A|B) to be P(B|A), very quickly in a convincing manner.

So are you saying it's Sol's fault for not being convincing enough? /s

Read through the thread again, now that you know what your mistake was. Multiple people tried in multiple ways to explain it to you. I honestly don't know why you listened to me. I merely restated PathToFire's statements.

Wanting to defend the truth is noble, but you need to be absolutely sure you have the truth. And that is where the humility comes in, because you can never be absolutely sure. You need to be able to say to yourself, "I'm pretty sure I'm right, but there's a chance I'm wrong. And the best way to find out if I'm wrong is by listening to other people and trying to understand it from their point of view."

The problem was not the internet vs face-to-face. The problem was listening.

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2018, 09:35:16 PM »
The problem was listening.

👍

It just didn't come through for some reason. The fault was entirely mine.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 09:40:33 PM by anisotropy »

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2018, 02:07:43 AM »

Anisotropy -  Admitting your error was a good move (and I imagine a hard one). It doesn't cancel out the fact that your were 1) very incredibly wrong 2) arrogant 3) and a jerk (these last two would have been true even if your math wasn't wrong). I truly hope you learn from this and use it as an opportunity to grow.

Nothing cancels past actions out to those affected.

I always admit my errors freely when proven wrong, it is easy for me to do. I have no baggage and no identity in an argument. The only thing that matters is if the situation/argument is factual.

Therefore, being arrogant and a jerk is often a inexorable outcome from where I stand, for truth must be defended no matter what.

In the case that I am wrong (like this one), I simply switch side with the same (if not higher) level of conviction. I do what I think is right, people's perception (of me) mean little to me. That being said, I do need to keep my hubris in check, I succumb to it from time to time.

I think you're missing a couple lessons here. Namely:

Perhaps the fact that you can be so astonishing wrong about such a simple thing that you claimed to understand well means that you should approach your future opinions more humbly.

And there's the issue that, even if you had been correct, you brought your "facts" to the wrong audience, in the wrong way, at the wrong time. You hurt people needlessly. You can serve truth and be kind at the same time. This time, you managed neither. Next time, try for both.

And there goes my optimism.  That was short lived.

This.  So much this.  Read this and attempt to internalize it.  Because frankly, I get the sense you are still too arrogant and proud to see that there were errors here beyond just an incorrectly applied formula or an inability to understand the logic behind a calculation.   The errors in empathy and compassion and tone and listening are far more egregious in my book that the failure to use the correct math formula, but you don't really address those.  You apologize for the math.  Had your math been correct, frankly, you were still an insensitive ass. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2018, 02:53:58 PM »
someone would have pointed out my error ie, I took P(A|B) to be P(B|A)

For all of the math nerds that so loved this thread, today's xkcd is about anisotropy's mea culpa:   https://xkcd.com/2059/

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2018, 02:05:57 PM »
Oh my, the p(C) is a killer, isn't it?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!