Author Topic: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...  (Read 1310965 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...
« Reply #4700 on: November 01, 2018, 04:54:03 PM »
I thought it was just sort of assumed that Trump's reported weight was total bullshit.

I'm 6'4" and will fluctuate between 210 and 220 over the course of the year, and I'm pretty sure I would have to gain at least 40 or 50 pounds to look as fat as Donald Trump does.  Just his neck all by itself adds like three pounds.  I know a bunch of other dudes who are roughly my size, and the ones who look as fat as Trump weigh more like 255.  236 is a farce.  I doubt he could cut to 236 for a fight weigh in, where it's common to lose at least ten pounds in three days.

But what does it matter?  So he's fat, I don't care.  Churchill was fat.  Santa Clause is fat.  Being fat isn't his problem.  If the real problem here is that he lied about his weight, is this really the one and only lie that Donald Trump has told that has people upset?  Like we somehow don't care about every other sentence that comes out of his mouth?

As Fuzzy Math said, the discussion was about whether he was in 'great health' and his life expectancy.  Weight doesn't correlate to leadership one way or another as far as I'm concerned.

My guess is that he could be a few pounds more than 236, but he is almost certainly a few inches shorter than 6'3"
Based on all the photos of him next to other people who are 6'2-6'4", my guess is he's now 6'0".  Which would make even 236 obese by any measure

He looks like a tall guy, from what I've seen when he stands next to others. I'd buy 6'2".

But... My husband is 6'0". And he's about 234.

He's... a lot skinnier than Trump.

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #4701 on: November 01, 2018, 05:26:40 PM »
Vince McMahon is a verifiable 6'2" and you can see in this pic that he's a good inch taller than Trump. I'm 6'4" and hang out about 220lbs. Trump is 260-270lbs EASY.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leeigel/2018/01/25/why-the-timing-may-be-right-for-vince-mcmahon-and-donald-trump-to-make-xfl-great-again/amp/

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4702 on: November 01, 2018, 06:09:49 PM »
Vince McMahon is a verifiable 6'2" and you can see in this pic that he's a good inch taller than Trump. I'm 6'4" and hang out about 220lbs. Trump is 260-270lbs EASY.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leeigel/2018/01/25/why-the-timing-may-be-right-for-vince-mcmahon-and-donald-trump-to-make-xfl-great-again/amp/

Vince McMahon might have been 6'2" in his prime, I doubt he still is. In photos where they are standing side-by-side, Trump appears no taller than Obama (6'1") and quite a bit shorter than A-rod (6'3") and Trudeau (6'2")

This is one of the more absurd off-topic tangents I've participated in...

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4703 on: November 01, 2018, 07:03:21 PM »
Given that this thread is explicitly about speculation about Trump, I'd say this is inexplicably on topic.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #4704 on: November 01, 2018, 07:04:57 PM »
6'6" here and hang around 205. I used to weigh in at 255 about 7 years ago. Still did not look as fat as Trump even then. Trump looks like 270-290 to me. 236 is ridiculously false.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #4705 on: November 01, 2018, 07:20:40 PM »
The interesting thing is, just like every other President before him, Trump actually looked much more healthy when he swore in than he does now.  He has the best of the best cutting his suits and making sure he looks 'good', but nothing can hide the fact that his crappy lifestyle choices multiplied by all the stress is not doing him any favors. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4706 on: November 01, 2018, 07:38:37 PM »
In today's news, Roger Stone confirms that he was a conduit for communications between the Trump campaign and the Russian hackers who were feeding information to Wikileaks.

How long until Trump comments on this story to say "No Collusion!"?  Or is that out of vogue now?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/01/politics/roger-stone-steve-bannon-emails-wikileaks/index.html

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4707 on: November 02, 2018, 05:32:07 AM »
In today's news, Roger Stone confirms that he was a conduit for communications between the Trump campaign and the Russian hackers who were feeding information to Wikileaks.

How long until Trump comments on this story to say "No Collusion!"?  Or is that out of vogue now?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/01/politics/roger-stone-steve-bannon-emails-wikileaks/index.html

Ehh, no surprise there. Also no surprise Trump released a racist campaign ad urging everyone to vote Republican, because you know, all immigrants want to kill cops. Of course it's just an appeal to his base who love that shit. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4708 on: November 02, 2018, 05:49:41 AM »
Mueller has been busy in the background lately.  FBI's own guidelines limit filing chargers or taking other public actions which might influence an election in the weeks prior (something Comey got reamed for on both sides).

My guess is we're going to see a bunch more charges filed in the weeks after the election, possibly on Nov 7th.

At the same time rumor has it that Trump was convinced to delay firing Sessions and to avoid looking like he was interfering with Mueller until after the election.  The question is, will he act the week after, or will he wait a bit longer?

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4709 on: November 02, 2018, 06:07:29 AM »

Sol, I think they're planning on adding a comma.  "No, Collusion!".  Then they can chalk everything else up to a typo, which at least has the benefit of consistency!

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #4710 on: November 02, 2018, 06:15:44 AM »
The subtext I'm reading is that some of you are hoping he'll drop dead in office. You actually don't want that to happen, the conspiracy guys will be out saying it's actually murder, like Mueller poisoned his coffee or something, and things will get messy.

The ideal is for him to be in great health and then get so soundly defeated in an election that nobody can say electoral fraud was the cause. And then he can slink away and have someone write his memoirs for him painting himself as a Misunderstood Great Man and how all his successes were to his credit but all his failures were someone else's fault; this is a long tradition engaged in by politicians and military leaders at all levels, in all countries throughout history.

Of course, he'll win in 2020. Brace yourselves for America's Yeltsin!

This is a really important point that shouldn't get lost.  I used to pine for a bombshell report from Mueller that would get him impeached.  I will admit that the thought, "What if he just dies in his sleep?" has crossed my mind.  But those would actually be bad outcomes for the future of democracy in this country.

People need to see that voting can matter and democracy fucking works.  You're not happy about the government? Vote. Organize others in your community to vote. And if enough people vote, you can kick the bad folks out of government and put in better ones.  And things can get better.

I don't think it's hyperbolic to say that this administration is a stress test of our democracy. An election put in a would-be autocrat. We need to show that an election can take one out.

And if we fail that test . . . I don't know, man. 

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #4711 on: November 02, 2018, 06:47:22 AM »
The interesting thing is, just like every other President before him, Trump actually looked much more healthy when he swore in than he does now. He has the best of the best cutting his suits and making sure he looks 'good', but nothing can hide the fact that his crappy lifestyle choices multiplied by all the stress is not doing him any favors.

Interesting take on Trump's suits (and other fascinating tidbits) from this past July's summit with Putin: https://twitter.com/czedwards/status/1018901361574928384
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:20:05 AM by toganet »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4712 on: November 02, 2018, 06:53:57 AM »
The subtext I'm reading is that some of you are hoping he'll drop dead in office. You actually don't want that to happen, the conspiracy guys will be out saying it's actually murder, like Mueller poisoned his coffee or something, and things will get messy.

The ideal is for him to be in great health and then get so soundly defeated in an election that nobody can say electoral fraud was the cause. And then he can slink away and have someone write his memoirs for him painting himself as a Misunderstood Great Man and how all his successes were to his credit but all his failures were someone else's fault; this is a long tradition engaged in by politicians and military leaders at all levels, in all countries throughout history.

This is a really important point that shouldn't get lost.  I used to pine for a bombshell report from Mueller that would get him impeached.  I will admit that the thought, "What if he just dies in his sleep?" has crossed my mind.  But those would actually be bad outcomes for the future of democracy in this country.

People need to see that voting can matter and democracy fucking works.  You're not happy about the government? Vote. Organize others in your community to vote. And if enough people vote, you can kick the bad folks out of government and put in better ones.  And things can get better.

I don't think it's hyperbolic to say that this administration is a stress test of our democracy. An election put in a would-be autocrat. We need to show that an election can take one out.

And if we fail that test . . . I don't know, man.

interesting points.  I don't want Trump to die in office - not because I'm worried about the conspiracy theorists (I've learned they will make anything a conspiracy and believe it, despite all evidence), but because I want there to be a public refutation of his brand of politics (xenophobic, race-baiting, conspiracy-soaked, all-who-disagree-are-enemies).

I think there's a third option - that he's compelled to leave in disgrace, a-la-Nixon. My hope, futile it may be, is that his long list of transgressions finally catches up with him and he (belatedly) pays for those crimes.  It may be a pipe-dream, but I'd like to ultimately see justice prevail, and his loose coalition of supporters who have ignored or supported his most unethical tirades fall apart once it becomes clear that DJT can no longer advance their agenda.

Dem control of the house would be a start where they could use their congressional power to legitimately investigate, subpoena and expose any wrongdoing in the executive branch. A few more Dem governors in states currently held by the GOP like Florida, Wisconsin and Georgia would increase pushback on this WH.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #4713 on: November 02, 2018, 07:10:56 AM »

I think there's a third option - that he's compelled to leave in disgrace, a-la-Nixon. My hope, futile it may be, is that his long list of transgressions finally catches up with him and he (belatedly) pays for those crimes.  It may be a pipe-dream, but I'd like to ultimately see justice prevail, and his loose coalition of supporters who have ignored or supported his most unethical tirades fall apart once it becomes clear that DJT can no longer advance their agenda.

I don't see it.  I don't see Trump's resigning--his ego is not capable of disgrace.  And I don't see the Republican party turning on him.  He has an 80-90% approval rating among Republicans.   And they've shown an amazing capacity for rationalizing or minimizing or whatabout-ing any accusations against him.  I thought the Russia Investigation had the best shot of bringing him down, but I now think that so many Republicans have decided it's tainted that it won't be enough to push him out of office no matter what it finds.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4714 on: November 02, 2018, 07:15:34 AM »

I don't see it.  I don't see Trump's resigning--his ego is not capable of disgrace.  And I don't see the Republican party turning on him.  He has an 80-90% approval rating among Republicans.   And they've shown an amazing capacity for rationalizing or minimizing or whatabout-ing any accusations against him.  I thought the Russia Investigation had the best shot of bringing him down, but I now think that so many Republicans have decided it's tainted that it won't be enough to push him out of office no matter what it finds.

100% agree, unfortunately.  It's possible, but it seems incredibly unlikely.  And I predict if the Dems take the House and start investigations (which they should), Trump's approval rating will actually go up.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4715 on: November 02, 2018, 07:34:43 AM »

I acknowledge it's unlike - but it's another ending.
I think Trump's support comes from two core places - 1) that he (so far) has 'won' and 2) that's he's pushed some longtime GOP goals, namely two conservative justices and a big corporate tax cut.  But will that luster fade if he stops winning and can't get the conservtaive's agenda through anymore?  For the moment they're willing to forgive his trolling tweets and race-baiting comments, but only because he's a bigot that's also useful to their cause.
Maybe (just maybe) with Dems controlling the house and Trump going no-where they'll see Pence as "all of the benefits with fewer side effects."

Or maybe he'll finally admit to something so egregious that a dozen or so GOP senators, fearing their releection, finally decide they've ignored their constitutional duties long enough. 
Who knows. Unlikely, sure, as long as he continues to hold 70-80% approval among the GOP.  But (perhaps the most likely scenrio) a recession made worse by the tax-cut sugar-high will erode that too.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4716 on: November 02, 2018, 07:34:52 AM »
interesting points.  I don't want Trump to die in office - not because I'm worried about the conspiracy theorists (I've learned they will make anything a conspiracy and believe it, despite all evidence), but because I want there to be a public refutation of his brand of politics (xenophobic, race-baiting, conspiracy-soaked, all-who-disagree-are-enemies).

So uh . . . I don't want Trump to die in office because as much as I disagree with nearly everything he does and says, he's a human being.  I don't think it's healthy to wish for the death of a fellow human being.  :P

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4717 on: November 02, 2018, 07:44:40 AM »

So uh . . . I don't want Trump to die in office because as much as I disagree with nearly everything he does and says, he's a human being.  I don't think it's healthy to wish for the death of a fellow human being.  :P
+1.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4718 on: November 02, 2018, 07:46:42 AM »

If he's had major debilitating health conditions appear by 2020 (or god forbid 2024), it will make him an even less attractive candidate. His appeal is that he's a blowhard and will command a presence in the world community. Its hard to do that if you're wheelchair bound and can't speak after a stroke, heart attack etc. 

I'd prefer he died on the golf course actually...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 07:49:57 AM by fuzzy math »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4719 on: November 02, 2018, 07:48:33 AM »

If he's had major debilitating health conditions appear by 2020 (or god forbid 2024), it will make him an even less attractive candidate. His appeal is that he's a blowhard and will command a presence in the world community. Its hard to do that if you're wheelchair bound and can't speak after a stroke, heart attack etc.

It's hard to be a mouthpiece for Russia if your mouth parts don't work well.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4720 on: November 02, 2018, 07:50:33 AM »

It's hard to be a mouthpiece for Russia if your mouth parts don't work well.

You can still receive loads via your mouth... perhaps that's all that counts?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4721 on: November 02, 2018, 08:03:26 AM »
You can still receive loads via your mouth... perhaps that's all that counts?

Don't be dirty.  Trump only takes loads delivered to his bank account.  That's a different kind of dirty.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4722 on: November 02, 2018, 08:05:22 AM »

I think Trump's support comes from two core places - 1) that he (so far) has 'won' and 2) that's he's pushed some longtime GOP goals, namely two conservative justices and a big corporate tax cut.  But will that luster fade if he stops winning and can't get the conservtaive's agenda through anymore?  For the moment they're willing to forgive his trolling tweets and race-baiting comments, but only because he's a bigot that's also useful to their cause.
Maybe (just maybe) with Dems controlling the house and Trump going no-where they'll see Pence as "all of the benefits with fewer side effects."

Or maybe he'll finally admit to something so egregious that a dozen or so GOP senators, fearing their releection, finally decide they've ignored their constitutional duties long enough. 
Who knows. Unlikely, sure, as long as he continues to hold 70-80% approval among the GOP.  But (perhaps the most likely scenrio) a recession made worse by the tax-cut sugar-high will erode that too.

It's crazy that I literally can't think of a single thing he could admit to that would have that effect, at this point.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4723 on: November 02, 2018, 08:21:59 AM »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4724 on: November 02, 2018, 08:39:49 AM »

It's crazy that I literally can't think of a single thing he could admit to that would have that effect, at this point.

There are plenty of things:
- Admit that he thinks guns are stupid
- Come out as gay
- Come out as pro-choice (again)
- Come out as vegan
- Come out as Muslim

Things that don't bother Republican voters, like:
- Full video recording of Trump taking a briefcase of money from Putin for favors discussed in detail
- Full video recording of Trump raping an illegal immigrant child, then murdering him
- Full video recording of Trump hosting a Neo-Nazi rally dressed as a grand wizard
 . . . that wouldn't make any difference.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4725 on: November 02, 2018, 08:42:24 AM »
This may scare you or give you a chuckle...

https://www.weeklystandard.com/john-mccormack/a-conspiracy-so-vastly-inept

At least they didn't run the picture of him with his fly down.

But I will!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4726 on: November 02, 2018, 08:51:31 AM »

- Come out as gay
- Come out as vegan
- Come out as Muslim

- Full video recording of Trump taking a briefcase of money from Putin for favors discussed in detail
- Full video recording of Trump raping an illegal immigrant child, then murdering him
- Full video recording of Trump hosting a Neo-Nazi rally dressed as a grand wizard

Yeah. Of course, he wouldn't do gay, vegan, or Muslim.

But honestly, I'm not even sure they'd blink at the guns or pro-choice thing, since he wouldn't do anything about either belief if he did let them slip. And I guess I'm not even sure his supporters would even believe he said those things, even if there was video evidence. They still have their crazy-train media to listen to, which will still be running 24-7 articles about Killary Robber Klinton.

At this point, there are a hell of a lot of his fans that are so die-hard they consider it a badge of honor to be completely unmovable in their worship of him. Case in point, this dude in Wisconsin who said he'd shoot his sister in the face for Trump to show his passion.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/wisconsin-conservative-admits-hed-shoot-sister-face-trump-know-passionate/?fbclid=IwAR0eFQBC_ho4ULHRcNenLs1Eoq7V3moI0frZSEoFEdZYW99LDcxGeOPLS48

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4727 on: November 02, 2018, 09:09:32 AM »

- Come out as gay
- Come out as vegan
- Come out as Muslim

Yeah. Of course, he wouldn't do gay, vegan, or Muslim.

But honestly, I'm not even sure they'd blink at the guns or pro-choice thing, since he wouldn't do anything about either belief if he did let them slip. And I guess I'm not even sure his supporters would even believe he said those things, even if there was video evidence. They still have their crazy-train media to listen to, which will still be running 24-7 articles about Killary Robber Klinton.

At this point, there are a hell of a lot of his fans that are so die-hard they consider it a badge of honor to be completely unmovable in their worship of him. Case in point, this dude in Wisconsin who said he'd shoot his sister in the face for Trump to show his passion.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/wisconsin-conservative-admits-hed-shoot-sister-face-trump-know-passionate/?fbclid=IwAR0eFQBC_ho4ULHRcNenLs1Eoq7V3moI0frZSEoFEdZYW99LDcxGeOPLS48

Trump has created a cult, and everything he now does is about strengthening that cult.  His campaigning isn't about new voters, it's about reinforcing the ones he's got.  Just listen to the chanting at his rallies - it's scary stuff.

The question is: what is this cult going to do? What is Trump going to do with it?  And if Trump disappears through one reason or another, who is going to take over this cult and what are they going to do with it?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4728 on: November 02, 2018, 09:18:35 AM »
I understand wanting this Presidency to end the right way.

Frankly, I think Trump is going to continue winning elections until he dies.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4729 on: November 02, 2018, 09:32:25 AM »

In five more days we can test that theory.  Right now it's sort of looking like Trump's minority election was a fluke, and democrats might actually regain a voice in Congress on November 6th.  Maybe America isn't quite over yet after all?

Go vote, people.  Even in noncompetitive races, your voice counts.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4730 on: November 02, 2018, 09:39:45 AM »
Recency bias - when an individual views the events of the recent past and assumes those events will continue into the future regardless of the longer historical record.

Blueberries

• Stubble
« Reply #4731 on: November 02, 2018, 09:54:41 AM »

I've heard a similar sentiment from friends and I wonder if I'm delusional.  I view this presidency like many other moments in our history:  people often need to digest a progressive push (two steps forward) of electing a black man, attempting socialized medicine, marijuana legalization, gay rights, etc., and that results in a lot of push back (one step back), which includes a Trump presidency.  I believe our country will grow stronger from these four years, which will propel us even further than we were before.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4732 on: November 02, 2018, 11:30:00 AM »
So much for what little moral leadership we had.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/02/world/africa/nigeria-trump-rocks.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwAR1Ec9Td3Maw1FMRBm8AUsSLoOUv8fiYGdnHPRzIehghBq5e841a_5cwXfw

The Nigerian Army fatally opened fire on rock-throwing protestors this week.

To justify their actions, they shared a video of a Donald Trump speech.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4733 on: November 02, 2018, 12:58:34 PM »
Well Legal Team Trump loses another battle:

U.S. District Judge Peter J. Messitte in Greenbelt, Md., denied the Justice Department’s request that he pause the emoluments case alleging that the president is violating the Constitution by continuing to do business with foreign governments.

The decision could pave the way for plaintiffs to seek documents related to President Trump’s D.C. hotel through the discovery process.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4734 on: November 02, 2018, 05:26:38 PM »

In five more days we can test that theory.  Right now it's sort of looking like Trump's minority election was a fluke, and democrats might actually regain a voice in Congress on November 6th.  Maybe America isn't quite over yet after all?

The fact that the economy is doing outstanding and the unemployment rate is so low and STILL Trumps approval rating is underwater and the republicans may lose the House is astounding.

The problem with saying shit is bad all the time and we have to protect ourselves and yadiyadiyada is that people think that even in the good times - and blame you for it.

I really thought the Republicans could ride the economic wave to more election gains when Trump first got elected, now i'm not so sure. I guess we'll see on Tuesday.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4735 on: November 02, 2018, 05:52:58 PM »

The fact that the economy is doing outstanding and the unemployment rate is so low and STILL Trumps approval rating is underwater and the republicans may lose the House is astounding.

The problem with saying shit is bad all the time and we have to protect ourselves and yadiyadiyada is that people think that even in the good times - and blame you for it.

I really thought the Republicans could ride the economic wave to more election gains when Trump first got elected, now i'm not so sure. I guess we'll see on Tuesday.
Tuesday?  I’m not that optimistic.  I think there will be at least a half-dozen races too close to call that will stretch our for recounts and it’ll be at least a week later until we can say for certainty who controls the House.

gentmach

• Bristles

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4737 on: November 03, 2018, 02:47:24 AM »
From the other side.

Mueller report may never be made public.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/19/mueller-investigation-findings-914754

That article is out of date.  Since then the Watergate special investigator's report has been declassified and published - while Grand Jury investigations are usually confidential, in the Watergate case a Federal judge determined that because a sitting President could not be prosecuted, which would be the usual outcome of a grand jury investigation, it was proper for the report to be sent to Congress for impeachment proceedings to be considered.  So if there is a democratic led House or Senate, the report will go to them and be made public.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4738 on: November 03, 2018, 06:14:55 AM »
From the other side.

Korean DMZ being demined.
https://www.newsweek.com/are-koreas-finally-about-make-peace-us-helps-disarm-border-1188018

The talks between North and South Korea have nothing to do with Trump or any of his policies. But it's good to remind us all of Trump's admiration of a brutally murderous dictator.

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #4739 on: November 03, 2018, 07:25:10 AM »
From the other side.

https://www.newsweek.com/are-koreas-finally-about-make-peace-us-helps-disarm-border-1188018

The talks between North and South Korea have nothing to do with Trump or any of his policies. But it's good to remind us all of Trump's admiration of a brutally murderous dictator.

Also sounds like the most progress in decades. Just enjoy the good news.

From the other side.

That article is out of date.  Since then the Watergate special investigator's report has been declassified and published - while Grand Jury investigations are usually confidential, in the Watergate case a Federal judge determined that because a sitting President could not be prosecuted, which would be the usual outcome of a grand jury investigation, it was proper for the report to be sent to Congress for impeachment proceedings to be considered.  So if there is a democratic led House or Senate, the report will go to them and be made public.

That article was written 2 weeks ago. That means that the Watergate report was declassified 40 odd years after the fact. When everyone in is dead and the damage had been done.

That's not a good precedent you want to rely on.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4740 on: November 03, 2018, 08:11:26 AM »
From the other side.

From the other side.

That article was written 2 weeks ago. That means that the Watergate report was declassified 40 odd years after the fact. When everyone in is dead and the damage had been done.

That's not a good precedent you want to rely on.

The precedent is that 40 years ago the report was sent to Congress.  The only reason the evidence in the report didn't come out 40 years ago was because Nixon resigned before he was impeached.   If the Mueller report gets to a Democrat Congress with enough evidence against Trump or Pence to start impeachment proceedings, the evidence in the report will become public, presumably some time next year.  The only thing that would potentially stop that would be Trump resigning.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4741 on: November 03, 2018, 11:34:13 AM »
From the other side.

Sure, but
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/north-korea-threatens-to-resume-nuclear-development-over-economic-sanctions-2018-11-03/

And i wonder what will happen with Iran with the sanctions being reimposed there?
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/us-impose-tougher-sanctions-iran-monday/story?id=58925107

Trumps popularity? It's the Economy, stupid. His sycophants and cult followers either don't realize the current economic trend started eight years ago or they wont (can't?) give credit for that other president we had that one time. My prediction is that it's going to have to get really bad before Trump's popularity and the GOPs reputations dumps, depite what happens during the midterms. And you'd better hold on, because it's only going to get more crazy from here on out.

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #4742 on: November 03, 2018, 03:33:15 PM »
And you'd better hold on, because it's only going to get more crazy from here on out.

I'm perfectly okay with that.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4743 on: November 03, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/02/africa/nigeria-army-trump-video-intl/index.html

I bet he is wondering when he can order troops to do the same thing here...

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4744 on: November 03, 2018, 07:47:13 PM »
From the other side.

Perhaps. But I would suggest starting another thread  unless you are falsely attributing this to Trump, which it sure appears you are.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4745 on: November 03, 2018, 08:36:48 PM »
I don't think the economy really has any bearing on this president's popularity. The market can tank and stay tanked for the next 6 years and I'm sure he'd find a way to blame Democrats and cast himself the victim. With both houses, the SC, and his executive orders he still finds ways to do this already. The immigrant caravan is a fine example. This president acts more like a dictator than an elected public servant with the distractions and grave scenarios he paints for his followers. All while his underlings figure out ways to pad corporate profits and gut average American's real wages...

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4746 on: November 03, 2018, 10:53:02 PM »
I don't think the economy really has any bearing on this president's popularity.

I think the economy would have to be rock bottom tits up for his supporters to waver. They are really going to have to suffer first though. No job, No money, no healthcare, no home.

It is remarkable how they base their opinion of him on no information. I guess that's what happens when everything is fake news.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/at-trump-rallies-women-see-a-hero-protecting-a-way-of-life/ar-BBPiuou?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout#image=BBPiuou_1|5

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #4747 on: November 04, 2018, 01:50:19 AM »
From the other side.

Perhaps. But I would suggest starting another thread  unless you are falsely attributing this to Trump, which it sure appears you are.

I've been around enough to know I'm not going to change your mind on the subject. I more or less posted for the thread lurkers who have doubts.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4748 on: November 04, 2018, 05:20:54 AM »
From the other side.

I've been around enough to know I'm not going to change your mind on the subject. I more or less posted for the thread lurkers who have doubts.

Doubts about what? Shouldn't you present actual avidence and facts for your claim? Maybe that will help all those lurkers wondering about the Korean talks and Trump's influence.

I do agree your presentation of your claim, void of evidence and facts, won't change my mind ( :
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 05:44:21 AM by MasterStache »

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #4749 on: November 04, 2018, 06:50:14 AM »
From the other side.

Doubts about what? Shouldn't you present actual avidence and facts for your claim? Maybe that will help all those lurkers wondering about the Korean talks and Trump's influence.

I do agree your presentation of your claim, void of evidence and facts, won't change my mind ( :

The traditional approach of diplomacy where meeting the president was an award for doing what we ask. Trump did the opposite and met with them first. And now the DMZ is being demined.

The threats to restart the nuclear program are more psychological. They have also threatened to walk away before. They don't want to appear weak when history is written.

I'm guessing the narrative on this thread is "Trump is being played by the North Koreans." Now you're saying he has had no part in the changes in foreign policy regarding North Korea. Therefore, Trump cannot be played by the North Koreans.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/how-donald-trump-got-played-by-a-ruthless-dictator-627798/

"Even some skeptics, though, acknowledge that the current dialogue has brought rewards in terms of an end to nuclear and missile testing and reduced tensions."(https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/as-pompeo-heads-for-pyongyang-north-korea-appears-to-raise-its-demands/2018/10/03/4729e588-c6f7-11e8-9158-09630a6d8725_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ed8eae313b27)

Morton Halperin who served Johnson, Nixon, Clinton and Obama administrations credits Trump with the improvements.
"Despite the criticism, a summit between Trump and Kim Jong Un was a smart way to resolve these fundamental issues and jumpstart a long and serious negotiation process." https://www.38north.org/2018/09/mhalperin091118/

But I am guessing none of this will change your mind. After all, experts in the field can be wrong and you know better. Hence why I was aiming for the thread lurkers.