Author Topic: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...  (Read 1309138 times)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
Re: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...
« Reply #7950 on: July 23, 2019, 02:13:27 PM »
It's even worse (wrt to Trump): he's just one or two lucky breaks away from being exalted as a Saint for decades to come.

You think you're tired of hearing about how great Reagan was? Imagine what social conservatives will be saying in 2030 if SCOTUS overturns Roe in 2020, or if we get teachers carrying firearms in 2022.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #7951 on: July 23, 2019, 02:17:31 PM »
It's even worse (wrt to Trump): he's just one or two lucky breaks away from being exalted as a Saint for decades to come.

You think you're tired of hearing about how great Reagan was? Imagine what social conservatives will be saying in 2030 if SCOTUS overturns Roe in 2020, or if we get teachers carrying firearms in 2022.

um... "in retrospect that was a really bad idea."?
At least that's what I hope they'd come to realize, particularly with regard to arming teachers. There's no scenario in which that ends well...

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7952 on: July 23, 2019, 02:22:28 PM »
It will be a fucking disaster of epic, country-splintering proportions. Johnson enters office as the prime minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; he could realistically leave office as the prime minister of England and Wales. He's going to be ripped to pieces by the EU's negotiation team, and all his idiot promises will burn to the ground. He's a stupid person's idea of a smart person, an undeserving beneficiary of British class prejudices, and fundamentally not fit for the job. It is some small consolation that as Ireland scrambles to cope with the perfect storm of English idiocy, we will at least get to see Boris Fucking Johnson be exposed as the shallow, arrogant moron he is.

Huh, that's what I thought would happen to Trump. And in a way, it has, but unfortunately the people we really wanted to see it are going to incredible lengths to remain in denial. We shall see.

There is a very, very big difference between Johnson and Trump.

Trump is the president of the United States, which is still the dominant world power despite the rise of China and the gigantic scale of quiet leverage the EU wields. Nobody is in a position to slap the metaphorical shit out of Trump.

Johnson is the prime minister of the UK,, which merely thinks it's a major world power,  and is entering into a negotiation with an enormously experienced and massively more powerful EU, which has a strong incentive to make an example of him to show other member states what happens when you start pricking around. On top of that, it's a safe bet that everyone who works in the EU's offices legitimately despises Johnson thanks to his years of publishing outright lies at the Spectator. There is a real possibility that they will destroy him permanently as a public figure.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #7953 on: July 23, 2019, 02:39:08 PM »
It will be a fucking disaster of epic, country-splintering proportions. Johnson enters office as the prime minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; he could realistically leave office as the prime minister of England and Wales. He's going to be ripped to pieces by the EU's negotiation team, and all his idiot promises will burn to the ground. He's a stupid person's idea of a smart person, an undeserving beneficiary of British class prejudices, and fundamentally not fit for the job. It is some small consolation that as Ireland scrambles to cope with the perfect storm of English idiocy, we will at least get to see Boris Fucking Johnson be exposed as the shallow, arrogant moron he is.

Huh, that's what I thought would happen to Trump. And in a way, it has, but unfortunately the people we really wanted to see it are going to incredible lengths to remain in denial. We shall see.

There is a very, very big difference between Johnson and Trump.

Trump is the president of the United States, which is still the dominant world power despite the rise of China and the gigantic scale of quiet leverage the EU wields. Nobody is in a position to slap the metaphorical shit out of Trump.

Johnson is the prime minister of the UK,, which merely thinks it's a major world power,  and is entering into a negotiation with an enormously experienced and massively more powerful EU, which has a strong incentive to make an example of him to show other member states what happens when you start pricking around. On top of that, it's a safe bet that everyone who works in the EU's offices legitimately despises Johnson thanks to his years of publishing outright lies at the Spectator. There is a real possibility that they will destroy him permanently as a public figure.
I think this is a pretty good read of the view from the EU side of things. I would shed no tears at seeing someone like Johnson being publicly humiliated. I get no delight in the harm that will come to the UK/Britain/England (however you want to split it) as a result of this misguided experiment.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7954 on: July 24, 2019, 07:25:35 AM »
Johnson and Farage have suffered basically no consequences as a result of their campaigning for Brexit. That is about to change for one of them.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7955 on: July 24, 2019, 08:23:07 AM »
Johnson and Farage have suffered basically no consequences as a result of their campaigning for Brexit. That is about to change for one of them.

Johnson may find that the most difficult thing about his new job is not being able to openly lie any more.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7956 on: July 24, 2019, 08:34:42 AM »
Mueller's testimony is ongoing, so far mostly re-hashing what he put in his 400+ page report.

If nothing else I think this is a rare do-over for how the media covers his findings.  Team DJT was mostly effective (including Barr with the assist) to obfuscate and distract when the original report was dropped, and avoid the most damning conclusions within.  Perhaps this time more Americans will see the depth of his attempted obstructionism and willingness to work with foreign hostile powers?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7957 on: July 24, 2019, 11:48:08 AM »
I'm at least relieved that Senator Richard Burr finally admitted he'd read the report. I guess he figures he won't face a primary challenger for 3 years, by which time Trump could be out of WH.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7958 on: July 24, 2019, 12:56:12 PM »
Mueller's testimony is ongoing, so far mostly re-hashing what he put in his 400+ page report.

If nothing else I think this is a rare do-over for how the media covers his findings.  Team DJT was mostly effective (including Barr with the assist) to obfuscate and distract when the original report was dropped, and avoid the most damning conclusions within.  Perhaps this time more Americans will see the depth of his attempted obstructionism and willingness to work with foreign hostile powers?

Why would you think that? Trump defenders are not going to defect suddenly no matter what Mueller says. Trump says there is no obstruction therefore, his supporters will believe him. Trump continues to stick it to the libs (and the rest of the country), and that is all that matters for them.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #7959 on: July 24, 2019, 01:24:01 PM »

Not going to matter one bit.   Fox News will take an exchange favorable to their case and run with it, CNN and MSNBC will take a favorable exchange to their case and run with it.  People paying attention will have their confirmations emboldened and people not paying attention will not pay attention.   We will be at the same point tomorrow as we were yesterday. 

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7960 on: July 25, 2019, 02:15:52 PM »
After Trump gets away with all of this, why should any American obey the law?

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #7961 on: July 25, 2019, 02:34:21 PM »

Because apparently the US president can constitutionally be politically protected from the law. That's what I learned from the Mueller hearing. We obviously need an amendment to explicitly state that no office is free from indictment.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7962 on: July 25, 2019, 02:55:15 PM »

Because apparently the US president can constitutionally be politically protected from the law. That's what I learned from the Mueller hearing. We obviously need an amendment to explicitly state that no office is free from indictment.

Yet again we see a system unprepared for Trump level shamelessness. The rationale for the DOJ policy seems good (separation of powers, it's up to Congress to impeach and remove a misbehaving President) but it assumes a certain level of good faith on everyone's part.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #7963 on: July 25, 2019, 02:56:14 PM »
I am as anti-Trump as they come, but I was pretty bored with the whole Mueller thing yesterday. We already knew Mueller is too disciplined to waiver from his message. The spectacle of watching the GOP drag his name and credibility through the muck in order to protect Trump left me agape though. It was just thoroughly disgusting. Trump could shoot someone on Fifth Ave yada yada yada. I bet he could get a GOP congressman to lick his boot on primetime television.

Pelosi is steadfast in her commitment to not pursue impeachment. She thinks it will ultimately be a losing cause.

My faith in the USA will be largely healed in 2020 when folks from all walks of life come out in droves to end this dumpster fire.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7964 on: July 25, 2019, 05:12:51 PM »
Fixed it for you.

I am as anti-Trump as they come, but I was pretty bored with the whole Mueller thing yesterday. We already knew Mueller is too disciplined to waiver from his message. The spectacle of watching the GOP drag his name and credibility through the muck in order to protect Trump left me agape though. It was just thoroughly disgusting. Trump could shoot someone on Fifth Ave yada yada yada. I bet he could get a GOP congressman to lick his boot on primetime television.

Pelosi is steadfast in her commitment to not pursue impeachment. She thinks it will ultimately be a losing cause.

My faith in the USA will be largely healed in 2020 when IF folks from all walks of life come out in droves to end this dumpster fire.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7965 on: July 25, 2019, 05:40:07 PM »
Fixed it for you.

My faith in the USA will be largely healed in 2020 when IF folks from all walks of life come out in droves to end this dumpster fire.
I admire your optimism.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7966 on: July 26, 2019, 07:59:33 AM »
I bet he could get a GOP congressman to lick his boot on primetime television.

Of course he could.  The GOP hated Trump . . . until it turned out that he embodies everything that Republican voters want in a person and president.  Now they're falling over each other to support and back up anything he says or does - regardless of the moral implications.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7967 on: July 26, 2019, 08:52:04 AM »

My faith in the USA will be largely healed in 2020 when folks from all walks of life come out in droves to end this dumpster fire.

Yeah, I am conflicted by this. It is obvious from the way Mueller is a by the book person, that DOJ has the rule that a sitting president cannot be indicted, and that any censure of the president should be through congress. There is enough, more than enough information in Mueller's report to impeach the president. Take your pick. Him and his team cooperating with Russian actors. Lying to the Mueller team (Mueller confirmed this). And Trump impeding and trying to stop the investigation, multiple times. They could not get Trump for lying under oath because he refused to testify under oath. By all rights, and when history views this, they will see this as a failure of the US political process, that Trump was not impeached.

But, Pelosi is right. The Republicans (save a few who could not in conscience vote with the crowd) will not on POLITICAL grounds, impeach Trump. History will NOT be kind to them. 

I feel that with the current issues of a lot of voter disenfranchishment (gerrymandering, voter ID and throwing people off voter rolls), this issues have not been fixed, and our own intelligence have said that Russian interference is expected to ramp up again for 2020. Who knows what will happen this next election. And if Trump gets elected a 2nd time, the statute of limitations for obstruction of justice is 5 years, and will run out for the things that happened in 2014-2016. So, Trump has an extremely strong motivation to make sure he wins this time around. Sessions in particular has been consistently against any legislation that helps Federal and state elections to be a) secure from domestic and foreign interference and b) open to all eligible voters. My prediction: this is going to be one of the dirtiest elections YET. Expect lots and lots of negging, name calling and crazy rumors including doctored videos smearing democratic candidates. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/454766-senate-intel-releases-long-awaited-report-on-2016-election-security
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 09:02:20 AM by partgypsy »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7968 on: July 26, 2019, 09:01:37 AM »
So, Trump has an extremely strong motivation to make sure he wins this time around.
The Russians have a similarly strong motivation to have Trump re-elected even apart from the benefits to them of puppet Trump: they are not going to want the  bad publicity of such high profile criminal convictions so closely related to their own espionage activities.  Expect their efforts of 2016 to be repeated more widely and with more force.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7969 on: July 26, 2019, 09:16:32 AM »

Yeah, I am conflicted by this. It is obvious from the way Mueller is a by the book person, that DOJ has the rule that a sitting president cannot be indicted, and that any censure of the president should be through congress. There is enough, more than enough information in Mueller's report to impeach the president. Take your pick. Him and his team cooperating with Russian actors. Lying to the Mueller team (Mueller confirmed this). And Trump impeding and trying to stop the investigation, multiple times. They could not get Trump for lying under oath because he refused to testify under oath. By all rights, and when history views this, they will see this as a failure of the US political process, that Trump was not impeached.

But, Pelosi is right. The Republicans (save a few who could not in conscience vote with the crowd) will not on POLITICAL grounds, impeach Trump. History will NOT be kind to them. 

I feel that with the current issues of a lot of voter disenfranchishment (gerrymandering, voter ID and throwing people off voter rolls), this issues have not been fixed, and our own intelligence have said that Russian interference is expected to ramp up again for 2020. Who knows what will happen this next election. And if Trump gets elected a 2nd time, the statute of limitations for obstruction of justice is 5 years, and will run out for the things that happened in 2014-2016. So, Trump has an extremely strong motivation to make sure he wins this time around. Sessions in particular has been consistently against any legislation that helps Federal and state elections to be a) secure from domestic and foreign interference and b) open to all eligible voters. My prediction: this is going to be one of the dirtiest elections YET. Expect lots and lots of negging, name calling and crazy rumors including doctored videos smearing democratic candidates. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/454766-senate-intel-releases-long-awaited-report-on-2016-election-security

So...you think Trump will win re-election in 2020, but then stop committing new crimes so that the statute of limitations will save him? Zero lawlessness and corruption from 2019-2024?

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7970 on: July 26, 2019, 10:57:57 AM »
Mitch McConnell is a traitor and an enemy to democracy.  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mitch-mcconnell-blocks-election-security-bill/

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7971 on: July 26, 2019, 10:59:46 AM »
So, Trump has an extremely strong motivation to make sure he wins this time around.
The Russians have a similarly strong motivation to have Trump re-elected even apart from the benefits to them of puppet Trump: they are not going to want the  bad publicity of such high profile criminal convictions so closely related to their own espionage activities.  Expect their efforts of 2016 to be repeated more widely and with more force.

The US utterly failed to condemn the interference in the last election.  Why would anyone expect Russia to behave differently?  Interfering in elections from foreign powers is OK to the Republican party. . . as long as they're going to win as a result.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7972 on: July 26, 2019, 11:00:08 AM »

The US utterly failed to condemn the interference in the last election.  Why would anyone expect Russia to behave differently?  Interfering in elections from foreign powers is OK to the Republican party. . . as long as they're going to win as a result.

gotta own the libs, no matter what!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7973 on: July 26, 2019, 11:01:27 AM »

gotta own the libs, no matter what!

Thanks Obama!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7974 on: July 26, 2019, 11:30:34 AM »
He has a strong motivation to stay in office because of other domestic crimes, whether it is income tax evasion, business fraud, and rape of underage girls (Epstein trial). Heck I'm sure Trump would like to die in office. Crazy that the office of the president, rather than being the office of the ultimate public servant and an honor, is now is being used as a hiding place for a con man.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-one-of-trumps-biggest-legal-threats-is-new-yorks-attorney-general/

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7975 on: July 26, 2019, 12:55:02 PM »
He has a strong motivation to stay in office because of other domestic crimes, whether it is income tax evasion, business fraud, and rape of underage girls (Epstein trial). Heck I'm sure Trump would like to die in office. Crazy that the office of the president, rather than being the office of the ultimate public servant and an honor, is now is being used as a hiding place for a con man.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-one-of-trumps-biggest-legal-threats-is-new-yorks-attorney-general/

You hit the nail on the head! Hiding place for a con man! LOL!

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7976 on: July 26, 2019, 04:59:50 PM »
On another forum I'm on, there's reflexive Trump-love. Whatever he does must be good, simply because Trump did it.

On this one, there's reflexive Trump-hate. Whatever he does must be bad, simply because Trump did it.

I think this really is a bigger issue than Trump: polarisation. It's not good for your country.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7977 on: July 26, 2019, 05:20:03 PM »
On another forum I'm on, there's reflexive Trump-love. Whatever he does must be good, simply because Trump did it.

On this one, there's reflexive Trump-hate. Whatever he does must be bad, simply because Trump did it.

I think this really is a bigger issue than Trump: polarisation. It's not good for your country.

I really don’t see that. I personally do give Trump credit when he does something good. It’s just that it’s incredibly rare.

On the other hand, 90% of what he does is horrible. So, sorry, the fact that conservatives can praise that 90% is not quite the same as everyone else being reluctant to highlight the 10% that is neutral or positive — which normalizes this absolute shitshow.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7978 on: July 26, 2019, 06:40:26 PM »

Even criminals do nice things sometimes. Bill Cosby is probably nice sometimes, too.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7979 on: July 26, 2019, 06:52:10 PM »
I really don’t see that. I personally do give Trump credit when he does something good. It’s just that it’s incredibly rare.
"I'm objective. It's just that he's objectively awful." Ayup.

It's part of modern American culture. It's hard to see this when you're part of it. A fish can't see the water.

Just be aware that denying any success of your opponent and denying any failures of yourself makes it more likely the opponent will win next time. Successful political parties steal the good ideas of their opponents. In other words, if you want Trump to win again, keep doing exactly what you're doing.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7980 on: July 26, 2019, 07:10:18 PM »
So if democrats start praising him, his base will abandon him??

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7981 on: July 26, 2019, 07:28:11 PM »

It's part of modern American culture. It's hard to see this when you're part of it. A fish can't see the water.

Just be aware that denying any success of your opponent and denying any failures of yourself makes it more likely the opponent will win next time. Successful political parties steal the good ideas of their opponents. In other words, if you want Trump to win again, keep doing exactly what you're doing.

Um. A, he is objectively awful. B, i said I give him credit where he is due.

You do not listen. You just affirm what you already believe.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7982 on: July 26, 2019, 08:27:52 PM »
The first step act, which was an attempt at criminal just reform, is a good start in the right direction.

Other than that, I can't think of any other good things that have come out of the Trump administration.
In fact, it's been mostly bad on so many different fronts.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7983 on: July 26, 2019, 08:40:18 PM »
This might not have been a big news case on your side of the pond, but I’m flabbergasted, and even the PM of my country has said she is puzzled* by Trump’s outbursts towards Sweden:

https://www.google.no/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/trump-asap-rocky-free-latest-news-sweden-a9022071.html%3famp

“Sweden and Prime Minister Stefan Lofven have been very clear in the dialogue with both the White House and directly with the American president, that in Sweden everyone is equal before the law and that the government cannot interfere in legal proceedings," the spokesman said in a text message.
(...)
Trump has said he would personally vouch for Mayers' bail. Sweden does not have a bail system.“

*she is famous/infamous for not criticizing anyone.her being puzzled is equal to someone else screaming obscenities.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7984 on: July 26, 2019, 08:43:13 PM »
Trump brings that out in people all over the planet.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7985 on: July 26, 2019, 08:52:55 PM »
His idea for more transparency in medical pricing sounds reasonable on the surface. If that achieves some level of cost reduction then I’d be happy for that success. If he had followed through with some early campaign talk of improving healthcare access then that would have been good. I believe he had a line item in his budget proposal for family leave. That is desperately needed and has been for over 50 years. I’d jump up and down for joy if that were the case.

But I’m having a hard time wracking my brain for positive things he has accomplished. On one hand there is sometimes talk and hand-waving about maybe doing some good things and on the other side there are the things he has done, which are overwhelmingly negative.

Feel free to correct anything I have overlooked. I admit to self censoring when it comes to news because it detracts from the joy of my life and causes a sense of hopelessness of my lack of power and fear for my children’s future.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7986 on: July 27, 2019, 03:09:23 AM »
So if democrats start praising him, his base will abandon him??
Probably.

"If the Other Guys like it, it must be bad." Motto of supporters of either party.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7987 on: July 27, 2019, 05:09:27 AM »
Speaking of polarization, the other day, I was listening to the radio and the host mentioned the time when Republican legislators were shot at during a baseball/softball practice.  Remember that?  It was 2017, wow, only two years ago, but it feels like forever.  I had almost forgotten it. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7988 on: July 27, 2019, 06:13:02 AM »
Speaking of polarization, the other day, I was listening to the radio and the host mentioned the time when Republican legislators were shot at during a baseball/softball practice.  Remember that?  It was 2017, wow, only two years ago, but it feels like forever.  I had almost forgotten it.
Not only shot at, one of them was hit (Scalise) was hit and seriously injured, along with an aid, a lobbies and two LEOs responding.  I remember we went on lockdown for about an hour.
Yeah, its amazing how that feels like so long ago.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7989 on: July 27, 2019, 06:51:42 AM »

Yep and everyone condemned the shooter. I mean it's not like Dems claimed there were "very fine people on both sides." And that is an extremely poor example of polarization. It was a great example showing how both sides can come together to condemn horrific acts. When will the Republicans come together to condemn Trump's overt racism?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7990 on: July 27, 2019, 07:31:23 AM »

So, as an impartial observer would you be able to highlight a few (maybe just keep it down to ten) of the things Trump has done that you consider great for the country/world?

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7991 on: July 27, 2019, 07:45:48 AM »
I'll help. These are general and you may want to pick at whether he gets credit or not, but when you ask if you and your family are better off now than a few years ago... maybe this will count in the positives column.

- People were freaking over North Korea. The nuclear threat has been subdued.
- Trump is not taking the bait to go fight in Iran
- Unemployment drops by nearly 2 percentage points
- The Tax Cuts and Jobs act -- I had to look this up, searching Trump and taxes gets a bunch of hits about his personal returns, but his changes to taxation benefited many people.

I have to look at what the White House says:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/trump-administration-accomplishments/

Oh yeah, 2 supreme court justices. :P

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7992 on: July 27, 2019, 07:47:43 AM »
I also consider working on cracking down on Chinese intellectual property theft an important action.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7993 on: July 27, 2019, 08:44:17 AM »
As a conservative, how do you feel how the tax changes shifts away tax burden away from corporations and the ultra rich, and is increasing the deficit? Do you believe that the government has a responsibility to balance the budget? Trumps tax changes and budgets are increasing the deficit. And members of his administration have already come out to say that they will correct any balance challenges, by cutting things like ACA, medicaid, school lunches, as well as oversight on things that need oversight (epa, taxes). Seems penny-wise, pound foolish.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7994 on: July 27, 2019, 08:48:42 AM »
Negotiating better trade, improving our border security, control health costs, he isn't wrong that these are problem areas, he just has a heavy handed mean "your fired" way of approaching them.

You watch the night vision cameras at the border showing hundreds of people just running across, you have to agree there is some bit of an issue there on security.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7995 on: July 27, 2019, 08:58:48 AM »
I'll help. These are general and you may want to pick at whether he gets credit or not, but when you ask if you and your family are better off now than a few years ago... maybe this will count in the positives column.

- The Tax Cuts and Jobs act -- I had to look this up, searching Trump and taxes gets a bunch of hits about his personal returns, but his changes to taxation benefited many people.

1. I'm not better off than I was a year ago: My federal income tax went up.
2. N Korea nuclear threat is still there. I'm not sure why anyone would think everything is a-ok. here's an article from today when I searched for "North Korea":
https://nypost.com/2019/07/27/north-korea-has-allegedly-built-a-dozen-nukes-since-singapore-summit/
3. If you remember, Trump almost started war with Iran. There is nothing you can tell me that wont make me believe it wasn't another adult that prevented Trump from giving the command. Or that watching Tucker Carlson told him to abort.
3. I'm glad the economy is good and unemployment is low. I can't give Trump credit for it though. Ask soybean farmers how they're doing. You say they're getting overly large payments for their crops now though? https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/07/25/npr-economists-say-trump-administration-is-over-paying-farmers-for-trade-losses
4. I know that the people at the top did well with tax cuts, like they always do with Republican administrations. See #1 about my taxes.
5. https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/jun/13/donald-trump/donald-trumps-boasts-about-accomplishments-office-/

Merrick Garland.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7996 on: July 27, 2019, 09:06:11 AM »
Negotiating better trade, improving our border security, control health costs, he isn't wrong that these are problem areas, he just has a heavy handed mean "your fired" way of approaching them.

You watch the night vision cameras at the border showing hundreds of people just running across, you have to agree there is some bit of an issue there on security.

I'd say he has a heavy handed way of not knowing anything and ends up screwing it up. Any one of the "wins" Trump has had has some fine print caveat at the bottom. What "better" trade? should we ask farmers how that's going? How have health costs been controlled? (Thanks Obama) Where's that new and bigger and better health care plan he used to talk about? Ask anyone buying insulin how that's going.

I agree that there is an issue at our southern boarder. Maybe we should ask ourselves why these people are trying to come here (and not just because the US is awesome)? Couldn't be because we fucked with their economies and governments could it?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7997 on: July 27, 2019, 09:15:50 AM »

North Korea: The Nuclear Thread is as subdued as it was before. It is always an up and down with that. NK mainly does it to get something. Oh, and lets not forget, the existence of the US is the main reason why the NK (and others) nuclear program exist.

I do admit that with Kim realizing that Trump is such an idiot he might actually really nuke him, Kim is more tame at the moment. NK is the only point where I can say that it is really Trumps acts that helped the situation where other would likely have failed. It needs a madman to deal with a madman.

Iran: Trump caused the probably-war all by himself. Not much to be happy about that he didn't finish that. Without him the thread would be less than it is today. You know, that international treaty that prevented the Iran to get nuclear and that Trump ripped apart out of a whim, alienating his "allies" even more...

Unemployment: Has not much to do with Trump. It's the economy (cycle), stupid! After the bank crash the economy was steadily getting better (interestingly Republicans generally fail to recognize that Obama's time was the economically most prosperous since half a century).

The Tax Cuts and Jobs act - Made a strawfire that is already burning down, damaging the economy in the process and leaving a huge pile of ash (deficit, which means even worse public services), while tunneling wealth from poor to rich people.
Maybe you are already a millionaire and don't care about poor poeple, for me neither is true so I don't think that is something good.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7998 on: July 27, 2019, 09:21:37 AM »

I'd say he has a heavy handed way of not knowing anything and ends up screwing it up. Any one of the "wins" Trump has had has some fine print caveat at the bottom. What "better" trade? should we ask farmers how that's going? How have health costs been controlled? (Thanks Obama) Where's that new and bigger and better health care plan he used to talk about? Ask anyone buying insulin how that's going.

I agree that there is an issue at our southern boarder. Maybe we should ask ourselves why these people are trying to come here (and not just because the US is awesome)? Couldn't be because we fucked with their economies and governments could it?

What are some of the better ideas on trade, health and borders?   We have a huge trade imbalance with China and our companies are subjected to unfair practices there.  China also does not follow the same ecological and worker safety standards as the other modern industrial countries so while it is great that you can sit there with your I-phone 10 eating your avocado toast made on your solar home powered toaster after getting home from work in your Chevy Volt powered by lithium batteries, these items were most likely produced in China and by environmental and worker standards that would have American companies sued to non existence.

How YOU going to fix that?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2011/feb/09/pollution-china-manufacturing-towns

« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 09:27:01 AM by Roland of Gilead »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7999 on: July 27, 2019, 09:42:46 AM »

How many nukes has North Korea disarmed because of Trump's efforts?  Has North Korea stopped performing missile tests?  What agreements/treaties have been signed and agreed upon?

If you want to use this as an example of Trump doing a great job, what evidence of a great job can you present?

Trump reneged on the US's side of the agreement they had with Iran . . . causing significantly increased tensions.  I'm happy that he hasn't further pushed your country into a war on this front, but don't really understand how this is a win for him.  Can you explain further?

Valid point.

Trump has continued to improve unemployment numbers.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs act is pretty expensive (it will increase US deficit by 1.9 Trillion dollars by 2028).  It disproportionately benefits the wealthy - increasing after-tax income in 2018 by 0.4 percent for households in the lowest quintile, compared with 2.9 percent for those in the top quintile, and even more for the top few percent of households.
 (https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2018/12/18/not-so-happy-birthday-to-the-tax-cuts-and-jobs-act/)

I'm curious about this argument.  Why do you think that massively increasing the debt in order to benefit the rich is better for the country?

In what way is this a triumph of Donald Trump, or different than any other president?  Obama, Bush, Clinton, and Bush Sr all appointed 2 supreme court justices.

Trump is in his third year of presidency.  I'm disappointed that a Trump supporter could only think of four things that he has done in that time that are good.  It's even more disappointing when only one of them stands up to scrutiny.