Author Topic: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...  (Read 1309101 times)

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...
« Reply #5650 on: January 15, 2019, 02:06:09 AM »
Then that would be poor planning.  People should have at least 6 months of emergency savings.  It's not like a shutdown never happened before.

Don't be so smug.  I was talking about this today with my mother.  My father worked for the Treasury Department (retired long ago) and my parents were always frugal savers.  However, when he began his career, they were so strapped that missing a paycheck would have been a catastrophe.  Some people are young and haven't had the time to build up an emergency fund.

It's the same idea people have about being on government assistance - witness all those one week long "food stamp challenges".  Fine if it's just a short period.  Fine if were taught (or otherwise learned) good household economy.   Fine if you don't have any health problems, or family members with health problems.  Fine if nothing serious breaks (what if your car or heating system fail?) or has just broken and taken your emergency money to mend.  Fine if you've got more than a low or average income in a HCOL area (many government jobs are not well paid).  Fine if you've had time and opportunity to build up reserves.  Fine as long as your baby hasn't been born in the last 3 weeks and you've been unable to sign them up for health insurance.  Fine if you haven't just put Christmas on your credit card expecting to pay it off without interest using your January paycheck.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5651 on: January 15, 2019, 04:46:25 AM »
Don't forget the farmers and their "poor planning." They should have no less than 1 extra planted field of crops in case their catastrophe related checks don't show up.

The real irony is watching Trump single handily weaken national security while fighting to strengthen national security by wanting a billion dollar object that will do nothing to strengthen national security.

" I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not going to blame you for it." #Trumpshutdown

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #5652 on: January 15, 2019, 05:22:53 AM »
Well here is something different about this WH...

The Clemson men's football team was invited to the White House to honor their national championship, and DJT decided to serve them "great American food" - which was literally a table-full of take-out fastfood from McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's. 

I was an NCAA athlete.  I would have been miffed if my 'special meal' at the WH was the same fast food we ate every road trip, only tepid.  Nothing is less appetizing than a fast-food burger that has sat out for a good half hour.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5653 on: January 15, 2019, 06:38:59 AM »
Well here is something different about this WH...

The Clemson men's football team was invited to the White House to honor their national championship, and DJT decided to serve them "great American food" - which was literally a table-full of take-out fastfood from McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's. 

I was an NCAA athlete.  I would have been miffed if my 'special meal' at the WH was the same fast food we ate every road trip, only tepid.  Nothing is less appetizing than a fast-food burger that has sat out for a good half hour.

Ha, this was my first thought when I saw it all spread out on the table. A piping hot fast food burger actually hits the spot on rare occasion, but they cool down so fast that the last bite is never quite the same. At least put out a couple of microwaves.

x02947

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5654 on: January 15, 2019, 06:53:34 AM »
Politics aside, I just wonder what those phone calls to place the order were like.  Did some intern run around picking the order up?  Did McDonald's et al cater?  Did they think it was all a prank?

"McDonalds, manager speaking."
"Yes, I'd like to order 60 Big Macs, please."
"Sure, when do you want to pick them up?"
"No, they need to be catered.  To the White House."
"...Sure they do.  You are going to need to prepay that."
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:17:28 AM by x02947 »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5655 on: January 15, 2019, 07:18:59 AM »
Politics aside, I just wonder what those phone calls to place the order were like.  Did some intern run around picking the order up?  Did McDonald's et al cater?  Did they think it was all a prank?

"McDonalds, manager speaking."
"Yes, I'd like to order 60 Big Macs, please."
"Sure, when do you want to pick them up?"
"No, they need to be catered.  To the White House."
"...Sure they do.  You are going to need to prepay that."

Nah. Pretty sure this White House has McDonald’s on speed dial.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5656 on: January 15, 2019, 07:38:52 AM »
"American Food"
Lol. This his attempt to appeal to the common man or something? Embarrassing. Hell they could have hit Mickey D's on the way home....

Probably gave the WH event staff a "free vacation" and forgot about it till the last minute.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:41:32 AM by Johnez »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5657 on: January 15, 2019, 07:57:18 AM »
"American Food"
Lol. This his attempt to appeal to the common man or something? Embarrassing. Hell they could have hit Mickey D's on the way home....

Probably gave the WH event staff a "free vacation" and forgot about it till the last minute.

It doesn’t even make sense. He could have even had his hotel cater a decent buffet.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5658 on: January 15, 2019, 08:30:05 AM »
I cannot help but feel like this is going to be one more time where the mainstream media looks like they're just being petty with the Trump criticism.

Less time on the Big Macs, more time on the unprecedented lack of disclosures regarding Trump's private meetings with Putin. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/01/trump-putin-meeting-no-note-taker.html

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5659 on: January 15, 2019, 08:46:06 AM »
I cannot help but feel like this is going to be one more time where the mainstream media looks like they're just being petty with the Trump criticism.

Less time on the Big Macs, more time on the unprecedented lack of disclosures regarding Trump's private meetings with Putin. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/01/trump-putin-meeting-no-note-taker.html

The private meetings with Putin feel like a black hole to me.  Near as I can tell there's nothing illegal about having a private meeting, nor with confiscating the interpreter's notes afterwards.  It's immensely stupid and arrogant, as DJT seems to believe he's too smart and clever for other States to ever manipulate him.  I also tend to doubt we'll learn much about those meetings as i) its unlikely the interpreter would ever be compelled to testify and ii) even if s/he is, I question what a "if I recall" from 18 months ago is going to be worth. Putin's not stupid enough to have said something truly illegal with an US interpreter sitting there taking notes.

I agree that there's little substance to the issue of whether it is or is not offensive to offer a bunch of footballers big macs when on an official visit. But to me it's another example of how DJT fails as a human being. Now Sanders is saying how all of this came out of Trump's pockets due many workers being 'on vacation' due to the shutdown.  Bleh!

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5660 on: January 15, 2019, 08:53:07 AM »

The private meetings with Putin feel like a black hole to me.  Near as I can tell there's nothing illegal about having a private meeting, nor with confiscating the interpreter's notes afterwards.  It's immensely stupid and arrogant, as DJT seems to believe he's too smart and clever for other States to ever manipulate him.  I also tend to doubt we'll learn much about those meetings as i) its unlikely the interpreter would ever be compelled to testify and ii) even if s/he is, I question what a "if I recall" from 18 months ago is going to be worth. Putin's not stupid enough to have said something truly illegal with an US interpreter sitting there taking notes.

I agree that there's little substance to the issue of whether it is or is not offensive to offer a bunch of footballers big macs when on an official visit. But to me it's another example of how DJT fails as a human being. Now Sanders is saying how all of this came out of Trump's pockets due many workers being 'on vacation' due to the shutdown.  Bleh!
I think that there is a possible legal issue with taking the interpreter's notes from the meeting because of the Presidential Records Act.  I don't know whether the records have to be entered into the record somehow to meet the conditions of this act, but I would assume that this is a potential issue and that lawyers are looking at it.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5661 on: January 15, 2019, 08:56:03 AM »

I don't really know how much time is being given to this one but I agree that there's no point in making a big deal about it. I'd imagine most of Trump's base will love the uncouthness of it and any criticism will be turned around as "those liberal elites think they're too good for a burger"

In normal times I would see great entertainment value in this but for now, let's chuckle and move on. I suspect the incident will be revisited after Trump is gone, and it'll give me another chuckle then.

On a semi related note, I wonder which NFL team is least likely to visit the White house if they win the super bowl. I need to know who I'm rooting for :)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5662 on: January 15, 2019, 09:44:10 AM »
Patriots will totally visit. Again.

Saints won't. Other two are probably in-between.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #5663 on: January 15, 2019, 10:36:49 AM »

The ideal would be for the team to visit and kneel in the Oval Office.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5664 on: January 15, 2019, 10:39:36 AM »

As if I needed another reason to hate the Pats (-;

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5665 on: January 15, 2019, 11:18:34 AM »

Lol. There'd be hell to pay, from the league and the owner to the tv stations, but that'd be sweet. It'd send Trump on the twitter tirade to end all tirades.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5666 on: January 15, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
I sure wouldn't kneel right in front of him, but all stopping and kneeling outside the White House, then getting back into the bus and going home would be brilliant.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5667 on: January 15, 2019, 03:01:08 PM »

He'd probably be thrilled, and then expect them kiss his ring.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5668 on: January 15, 2019, 03:28:46 PM »
And then there was this knuckle head: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/01/white-house-to-furloughed-workers-consider-it-a-free-vacation

The level of incompetence is finally matched....by the lack of empathy. Just wow.

Actually, that's what a federal worker friend of mine said - extra paid vacation, and one of the federal workers even mentioned the free vacation in the other thread about the federal shutdown.  Congress and Trump approved payment to all of the furloughed employees who are sitting at home not working.  They'll get paid late, but I would take that deal in a heartbeat to get extra paid vacation.

As would I. Unfortunately, most people don't have the savings to handle more than a month of no income.

Then that would be poor planning.  People should have at least 6 months of emergency savings.  It's not like a shutdown never happened before.

Hopefully the democrats won't continue to obstruct for much longer so that these people can get back to work and so that more of my tax dollars won't go to paying people who are sitting at home.

Stop trolling.

Ironic, which is basically what you're doing with personal attacks instead of sticking to the topic as I was doing.

Talk about poor planning. Trump buying fast food hamburgers on his own dime because of school team winners visiting during the time of the shut down (he knew about and created). Don't get me wrong, fast food hits the spot at times. But not when sitting on a table for half an hour.

I do agree this is a distraction, that the shutdown is a political stunt that was entirely avoidable, and is causing human suffering, damage to our public resources, and costing a lot of money. Money that oftentimes cannot be recouped. Trump doesn't see the damage (lack of food inspections, littering, vandalism and damage to national parks and forests, to fisheries, even farmers not being able to process paperwork to do their jobs) doesn't care, or both. I think he feels it's not his money so doesn't care.   
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:31:25 PM by partgypsy »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5669 on: January 15, 2019, 04:32:22 PM »
Trump does not care about anyone. He would throw his family under the bus and run thru the tunnels under the White House, with a cheeseburger in hand, to get to safety if there was a matter of security. It is all about him. No one else matters but him.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5670 on: January 16, 2019, 03:14:38 AM »
Apparently Trump has been saying for the last year he wants the USA to leave NATO.

Might not be so easy.  The general rule of international treaty law is that a party to a multilateral treaty such as NATO can only leave either with the agreement of all parties (so not happening, ever) or in accordance with the terms of the Treaty itself.  (Rule codified in Articles 54 and 56 of the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties - https://treaties.un.org/doc/publication/unts/volume%201155/volume-1155-i-18232-english.pdf ).

The NATO Treaty - https://www.nato.int/cps/ie/natohq/official_texts_17120.htm - then makes provision in Article 13 which states "After the Treaty has been in force for twenty years, any Party may cease to be a Party one year after its notice of denunciation has been given to the Government of the United States of America, which will inform the Governments of the other Parties of the deposit of each notice of denunciation."   The clear implication of this requirement to give notice to the USA is that it will not be the USA that leaves.  Also, in international law a State is a single legal entity, which means that the USA cannot under the Treaty give notice to itself, so there is no procedural mechanism for the USA to leave the Treaty.  The onus would be on the USA to show that it was intended that the USA should be able to leave (see Article 56 of the Vienna Convention), of which there is no indication, which strengthens the view that the USA cannot leave NATO.

Of course, Trump could still purport to leave NATO, even in contravention of international law.  He could state that the USA will refuse to meet its obligation of mutual defence, or redirect military spending away from Europe.  He might be persuaded to give a year's notice, as set out in Article 13 of the NATO Treaty.  If he does, that gives you USA'ns a year to sort out the straightjacket or prison cell and put someone in charge who has a clue or two.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5671 on: January 16, 2019, 04:24:53 AM »
Partgypsy Talk about poor planning. Trump buying fast food hamburgers on his own dime because of school team winners visiting during the time of the shut down (he knew about and created). Don't get me wrong, fast food hits the spot at times. But not when sitting on a table for half an hour.

Trump first said he paid for 300 hamburgers then in another interview said he paid for 1,000 hamburgers. Is this new math? Trump bought 300 burgers, then it turned into 1,000 burgers. Where did the 700 extra burgers come from? Must be magic burgers. Oh, and the team ate it all in one hour.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5672 on: January 16, 2019, 05:17:46 AM »
Partgypsy Talk about poor planning. Trump buying fast food hamburgers on his own dime because of school team winners visiting during the time of the shut down (he knew about and created). Don't get me wrong, fast food hits the spot at times. But not when sitting on a table for half an hour.

Trump first said he paid for 300 hamburgers then in another interview said he paid for 1,000 hamburgers. Is this new math? Trump bought 300 burgers, then it turned into 1,000 burgers. Where did the 700 extra burgers come from? Must be magic burgers. Oh, and the team ate it all in one hour.

This is typical of DJT - he blatantly lies about numbers whenever it suits him.  He's lied about the number of stories on his buildings, about the number in attendance at his inauguration, about how his own fortune, his charitable donations, his height, his weight, the number of people at his rallies, the size of his golf courses, about being 'Person of the Year' (before 2016), about the size of his tax cuts...

In sum, he inflates the numbers to make him appear 'better' than he actually is, and lately these have been fact-checked to death, but he doesn't seem to care, and neither do his supporters.

Curiously, he also said that the 300 1,000 burgers would reach 'a mile into the sky' if stacked on top of one another.  Um, that's just stupid; assuming it even *was* 1,000 burgers (it wasn't), each burger would need to be 5'3" thick (63").  A big mac is only 2.75" thick. If we are only dealing with Big Macs (which I believe are the tallest of the choices offered) one would need 23,040 Big Macs to reach 1 mile stacked end-to-end.  That would be over 200 for each invited guest, or 110,000 calories per person, not including fries.  Sure, here he was certainly speaking hyperbolicaly, but 300 burgers stacked end-to-end would have been about 68 feet tall.  Color me unimpressed.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5673 on: January 16, 2019, 07:10:25 AM »
Oh, this must sting Trump!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/michael-strahan-clemson-lobster_us_5c3f231ee4b0922a21da9042

I wonder if he will have 1,000 lobsters?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5674 on: January 16, 2019, 08:18:53 AM »
Apparently Trump has been saying for the last year he wants the USA to leave NATO.

Of course he has, because that weakens that alliance of western nations that stand in the way of Russia's goals.  It needs a catchy Brexit-style nickname so we can add it to the list of ways that Russia has systematically undermined and disassembled western power.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5675 on: January 16, 2019, 08:24:37 AM »
As I saw on Facebook re: Trump's hamburger fest "Cheap and tasteless. And the food was bad too".

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5676 on: January 16, 2019, 09:45:12 AM »
Did McDonald's stock go up or down?!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5677 on: January 16, 2019, 09:52:54 AM »
Did McDonald's stock go up or down?!
Up about a percent on tuesday, back down to where it was today.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5678 on: January 16, 2019, 02:06:48 PM »
I may be in the minority but I laughed out loud and then was very happy to hear that Nancy Pelosi let Trump know he is not invited to deliver the State of the Union in Congress this year unless the government is open.  Is always nice to remind him that all branches of the government are equal and he is not special.  Had not thought of this move (maybe that's why I am not in Congress), but operating entirely within acceptable rules being able to send a clear message is a wonderful play.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5679 on: January 16, 2019, 02:35:43 PM »
I did know that was a possibility. That is an interesting power play.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5680 on: January 16, 2019, 03:13:05 PM »
I did know that was a possibility. That is an interesting power play.

I think it's just silly politics, but on the other hand I'm happy to see someone finally playing Trump's game.  He staged a "negotiation" meeting just so he could walk out in 30 seconds, just last week.  I think we're well past the point where a serious compromise can be reached by serious individuals.  Trump is all-in on the showboating strategy, and if he's going to insist on playing stupid games then I think a seasoned pro like Pelosi is probably the right person for him to play with.  She's brokered more deals, for more money, with far more power than Trump has ever dreamed of having.  Trump made a big deal out of grandstanding for the cameras on this issue, and she's just returning the favor.  I don't think it's productive, but it's at least fair.

Democrats have failed to regain power in Washington because they seem to actually care about doing what's right, instead of what's effective.  Time and time again the republicans go low (remember when the RNC hacked the DNC a few years back?) and the democrats just shrug it off and say "we're going to take the high road" and republicans end up consolidating power with dirty tricks and underhanded dealings.  The democratic strategy of doing right by the country has failed, so I'm slowly coming around to the idea of supporting stupid stunts like this one. 

Maybe it's time to lay down with pigs.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5681 on: January 16, 2019, 03:31:20 PM »
That is a sad realization, isn’t it? The ethical/naive side of me wants to think that taking the high road will lead to the best end result in the long run, but that doesn’t seem to work in gov. Or maybe in the really really long run, but damage is being done in the mid-run.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5682 on: January 16, 2019, 04:01:18 PM »
On the one hand, it is a power play (which, hey, go for it, this president seems to understand and respond to nothing else, EFF him). On the other, ya know, assembling that many elected officials plus the president plus the Supreme Court -- all three branches of government -- in one place without funding for adequate security? Yeah, dumb idea. So I agree with her.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5683 on: January 16, 2019, 05:16:54 PM »
I may be in the minority but I laughed out loud and then was very happy to hear that Nancy Pelosi let Trump know he is not invited to deliver the State of the Union in Congress this year unless the government is open.  Is always nice to remind him that all branches of the government are equal and he is not special.  Had not thought of this move (maybe that's why I am not in Congress), but operating entirely within acceptable rules being able to send a clear message is a wonderful play.

I said this first under W, then Obama, now Trump:  I would like the SOTU in its current form to go away and be replaced with a written statement given to Congress as it was for the first ~120 years of our country. 
Under its current form it's political theatre, and really poor, scripted theatre at that. One side sits in stony, objectionable silence while the other pops to their feet to applaud like mad at every telegraphed statement.  There's little in it about the actual State of our Union, but more a bunch of partisan dreams that has little grounding in reality.  The official response is even worse, as they attempt to support fixing the problems outlined but feign deep concern that the president's suggestions are ill conceived.  Three hours wasted, and hundreds of millions of $ spent on security for 447 members of the federal government, not including various cabinet members, the press, military, and VIPs.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5684 on: January 16, 2019, 06:01:28 PM »
I said this first under W, then Obama, now Trump:  I would like the SOTU in its current form to go away and be replaced with a written statement given to Congress as it was for the first ~120 years of our country. 
Under its current form it's political theatre, and really poor, scripted theatre at that. One side sits in stony, objectionable silence while the other pops to their feet to applaud like mad at every telegraphed statement.
+1

While there are some differences between the parties, and fine people on both sides, they behave in very similar ways depending on whether they are "in power" or "not in power".

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5685 on: January 17, 2019, 04:53:36 AM »
Do people still watch the STOU? I agree with @nereo. I mean the world could be at war again, the stock market cut in half and unemployment at 25% yet you likely aren't going to here "Yeah sorry our country is pretty fucked up right now!" It's just expensive grandstanding. 

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5686 on: January 17, 2019, 06:20:53 AM »
I realize that Guiliani is barely a lawyer, but this was pretty amazing!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/01/17/rudy-giuliani-says-i-never-said-there-was-no-collusion-between-trump-campaign-russia/

I think there's no news being made here, but it's still something special.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5687 on: January 17, 2019, 12:52:25 PM »
Giuliani looks crazy to those of us in the middle, but he starts to make a lot more sense when you realize his game is to corrale 34 Senators. That's how he's playing this: get Trump into November 2020, then let Trump win for himself.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5688 on: January 17, 2019, 05:35:11 PM »
Giuliani looks crazy to those of us in the middle, but he starts to make a lot more sense when you realize his game is to corrale 34 Senators. That's how he's playing this: get Trump into November 2020, then let Trump win for himself.

Seems like a high risk and short sighted approach to me.  What his team is basically doing is making sure that the GOP is so terrified of Trump's base turning on them that they won't stand up to Trump.  That may keep them in line for now, but it's not likely to convert many independents and suburbanites conservatives that will be key to his re-election efforts. Those groups have ever-lower opinions of DJT.  The GOP just got mopped all over the floor in House races by these very people voting against them en masse.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5689 on: January 17, 2019, 06:21:36 PM »

Seems like a high risk and short sighted approach to me.  What his team is basically doing is making sure that the GOP is so terrified of Trump's base turning on them that they won't stand up to Trump.  That may keep them in line for now, but it's not likely to convert many independents and suburbanites conservatives that will be key to his re-election efforts. Those groups have ever-lower opinions of DJT.  The GOP just got mopped all over the floor in House races by these very people voting against them en masse.

But the gerrymandering and simple demographics in places like kentucky means they run uncontested essentially in many, many races. My lil brother believes that McConnell will back Trump at whatever cost to actual USA, because otherwise he will get voted out in Kentucky.

Honestly at this point the Democrats should just say, you know what, we give in, you win, and give him his 5 billion for the wall. But - it is tied up in legislature making sure their aims such as DACA and health care preservation are funded, as well as tying the Wall funding to feasibility and effacacy studies. So Trump and Republicans can say they win, when Democrats (and Americans) get a running functional government back.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 06:23:52 PM by partgypsy »

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5690 on: January 17, 2019, 06:54:13 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/01/17/rudy-giuliani-says-i-never-said-there-was-no-collusion-between-trump-campaign-russia/

I don't watch CNN, but every time I see a clip with Chris Cuomo, he has a stupid look on his face.  I wonder how many people feel like punching him in the face.  I can't stand looking at that guy.  He makes Giuliani look normal.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5691 on: January 17, 2019, 08:16:41 PM »
I care a lot more about someone's policy ideas then someone's facial expression.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5692 on: January 17, 2019, 08:57:53 PM »

I don't watch CNN, but every time I see a clip with Chris Cuomo, he has a stupid look on his face.  I wonder how many people feel like punching him in the face.  I can't stand looking at that guy.  He makes Giuliani look normal.

The Germans have a word for that: Backpfeifengesicht, or "a face in need of a good punch." It's most commonly applied to Ted Cruz.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5693 on: January 17, 2019, 09:21:26 PM »

Wow, this may be the most juvenile example I've seen yet of a Trump defender accusing Trump's opponents of the very thing they are guilty of themselves.  This is all stupid political games, of course, but this is a new low.

Rudy Giuliani is famous for his ridiculous faces on television.  He's like a clown, or a mime, or Jim Carey.  He deliberately contorts his face into all kinds of crazy shapes for the cameras.  So to see someone accuse a tv anchor of the very thing Rudy is famous for is kind of a breathtakingly transparent examples of this.

The following screen caps are all from interviews between these two people.  Please, judge for yourself which of these individuals is making "stupid" faces.

I could go on, but this is a silly game.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5694 on: January 17, 2019, 09:47:07 PM »

Wow, this may be the most juvenile example I've seen yet of a Trump defender accusing Trump's opponents of the very thing they are guilty of themselves.  This is all stupid political games, of course, but this is a new low.

Juvenile?  LOL  You might want to go back and read this thread.  That pretty much describes it - major trolling, and you're a big part of it, fake news and all.  A new low?  After all the personal attacks on POTUS in this thread, you're delusional if you think my comment is a new low.

Yes, that is my point, that guy actually makes Giuliani look normal. which isn't easy to do.  I always thought Giuliani was kind of odd looking with those faces he makes, but I can't bear to look at Chris Cuomo.  He'll be interviewing someone and constantly have that stupid look on his face, and it's not just when interviewing Giuliani.  It makes you wonder how many people have punched their TV screens looking at that guy.  Fortunately, I don't watch CNN and am only subjected to clips of his interviews from time to time.

Remember, I'm a free thinking independent and patriotic American who supports the ACA.  I'm not a Trump supporter on most matters, but that doesn't mean I feel like trolling him all the time like you do.  You need to accept that he's your president, stop whining about it, and move on.  Next time, get out there and vote, where you can actually make a difference.

By the way, to be cear, I'm not suggesting anyone punch the guy nor am I advocating violence.  I just wonder how many people feel like it when they see him.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 10:01:30 PM by DreamFIRE »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5695 on: January 17, 2019, 10:56:32 PM »
Remember, I'm a free thinking independent and patriotic American

I'm sure you recognize the irony in claiming to be a free thinking and independent patriotic American and then parroting Trump's talking points about "fake news", "democrat obstructionists", "the wall will pay for itself", etc while posting links to alt-right websites.  You sound like Sarah Huckabee Sanders.  You forgot to throw in "NO COLLUSION!!!!!"

If you're looking to expand your bag of tricks, you can start making outrageously racist accusations "without" being a racist by saying "some people are saying..." and then inserting the most racist thing you can think of.  That lets you promote vile ideas while still maintaining some modicum of deniability. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5696 on: January 18, 2019, 05:28:55 AM »
...meanwhile, the Government is still partially shut down, and my family is without a paycheck. 
I place the blame at this point firmly on two individuals, Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell.  Currently there are a majority of house members who have passed multiple spending bills, and a majority of senators who have already voted for reopening the government (and both in veto-proof majorities).  McConnell won't let any legislation through, and Trump says he won't sign it (but that has not been tested due to McConnell)

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5697 on: January 18, 2019, 06:05:04 AM »
Meanwhile it looks like Trump may have instructed Cohen to lie to Congress about the Trump Tower project in Moscow. Whoops! If true he'll either resign or be impeached. Looking forward to having a functioning competent government again.

Of course I'm probably just trolling like everyone else in this thread (-; Just glad we have a free thinking patriotic American to put us all in our places.

Oh and it appears Trump directed Cohen to hire a firm to rig the polls in his favor. Turns out Trump was (gulp) right all along. The polls really were rigged! It's just that Trump rigged them.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 06:53:12 AM by MasterStache »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5698 on: January 18, 2019, 06:56:06 AM »
Nereo-
you're welcome to blame Trump and McConnell, but Mark Meadows and the Freedom Caucus who led the charge in the December House vote deserve blame, too.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5699 on: January 18, 2019, 06:57:44 AM »
Meanwhile it looks like Trump may have instructed Cohen to lie to Congress about the Trump Tower project in Moscow. Whoops! If true he'll either resign or be impeached. Looking forward to having a functioning competent government again.

Of course I'm probably just trolling like everyone else in this thread (-; Just glad we have a free thinking patriotic American to put us all in our places.

Oh and it appears Trump directed Cohen to hire a firm to rig the polls in his favor. Turns out Trump was (gulp) right all along. The polls really were rigged! It's just that Trump rigged them.

I did happen to catch this news late last night. It does appear that some kind of improper coordination with Russia was going on.