Author Topic: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...  (Read 1309354 times)

scottish

• Magnum Stache
Re: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...
« Reply #4500 on: October 22, 2018, 04:11:04 PM »
I'm aghast that some have accepted the rationalization that we shouldn't attempt to punish Saudi Arabia for murdering Jamal Khashoggi because we are selling them too many weapons. 

Seriously think about that for a second.
Trump's justification for NOT punishing a murderous regime is that we've got to keep selling them lethal weapons.  Because jobs. 
Not even the NRA is willing to suggest we shouldn't have firearm restrictions because criminals won't be able to buy as many guns.

The moral bankruptcy here is staggering and we're all sinking in the muck.

Ahem.   Pretty sure General Dynamics Canada is also selling weapons to the Saudis.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4501 on: October 22, 2018, 04:56:26 PM »
I'm aghast that some have accepted the rationalization that we shouldn't attempt to punish Saudi Arabia for murdering Jamal Khashoggi because we are selling them too many weapons. 

Seriously think about that for a second.
Trump's justification for NOT punishing a murderous regime is that we've got to keep selling them lethal weapons.  Because jobs. 
Not even the NRA is willing to suggest we shouldn't have firearm restrictions because criminals won't be able to buy as many guns.

The moral bankruptcy here is staggering and we're all sinking in the muck.

Ahem.   Pretty sure General Dynamics Canada is also selling weapons to the Saudis.

There's a whole industry (aptly nicknamed the "military–industrial complex " (MIC)) dedicated to producing weapons largely sold to overseas. The actual weapons R&D are funded by taxpayer money (often via lucrative contracts). It's sold to the public as 'holding the peace' but much of it is just turning profit. DJT's admission that we can't stop this because of jobs is a pretty bold-faced admission.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4502 on: October 22, 2018, 06:25:44 PM »
It's sold to the public as 'holding the peace' but much of it is just turning profit. DJT's admission that we can't stop this because of jobs is a pretty bold-faced admission.

So are we in agreement that this is something we all like about Donald Trump?  That he is brazen enough to just openly admit to the moral bankruptcy that has plagued our government for generations now? 

In a way, that's been a unifying theme of his presidency.  After Nazis murdered a person in Charlottsville, he went on tv and said (I'm paraphrasing a little) "Yep, America is hella racist!  Me too!"  After the Kavanaugh hearings, he said harkenned back to his "they let you do it" comments when he said (I'm paraphrasing a little) "It's fine if he tried to rape her, because he'll overturn Roe v. Wade!"  And now that the Saudi arms deal is jeopardized by the murder of a journalist, he's saying (I'm paraphrasing a little) "We'll always kowtow to the Saudis because our strategic interests outweigh our ethical convictions, and we hate journalists anyway!"

I'm sure you can think of other examples.  America's politicians tend to dance around these awkward and embarrassing truths, and Trump is so flagrantly disrespectful of absolutely everything American that he can just come out and say it.  Yes, we're racist sexist hypocrites with a lust for power.  Yes, we promote the interests of wealthy Americans over all other concerns.  Maybe next he'll just come out and say the war on poverty is a joke and we should just let homeless vets die in the streets.  And that black people shouldn't be allowed to vote because white people need to stay in control of government.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:00:38 AM by sol »

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4503 on: October 23, 2018, 09:59:11 AM »
It's sold to the public as 'holding the peace' but much of it is just turning profit. DJT's admission that we can't stop this because of jobs is a pretty bold-faced admission.

So are we in agreement that this is something we all like about Donald Trump?  That he is brazen enough to just openly admit to the moral bankruptcy that has plagued our government for generations now? 

In a way, that's been a unifying theme of his presidency.  After Nazis murdered a person in Charlottsville, he went on tv and said (I'm paraphrasing a little) "Yep, America is hella racist!  Me too!"  After the Kavanaugh hearings, he said harkenned back to his "they let you do it" comments when he said (I'm paraphrasing a little) "It's fine if he tried to rape her, because he'll overturn Roe v. Wade!"  And now that the Saudi arms deal is jeopardized by the murder of a journalist, he's saying (I'm paraphrasing a little) "We'll always kowtow to the Saudis because our strategic interests outweigh our ethical convictions, and we hate journalists anyway!"

I'm sure you can think of other examples.  America's politicians tend to dance around these awkward and embarrassing truths, and Trump is so flagrantly disrespectful of absolutely everything American that he can just come out and say it.  Yes, we're racist sexist hypocrites with a lust for power.  Yes, we promote the interests of wealthy Americans over all other concerns.  Maybe next he'll just come out and say the war on poverty is a joke and we should just let homeless vets die in the streets.  And that black people shouldn't be allowed to vote because white people need to stay in control of government, and women

Continuing Sol's theme of Trump just coming out and saying it:
https://www.newsandguts.com/video/donald-trump-admits-nationalist/?fbclid=IwAR2llfELYP1_oEB-TwRCIbqfe_K3JHDlvLw_Yn0VESBAna3-odxp7T1v8gU
“They have a word it sort of became old-fashioned, it’s called a nationalist and I say really we aren’t supposed to use that word, but you know what I am, I’m a nationalist ok.”

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4504 on: October 23, 2018, 11:02:45 AM »
I'm sorry Herr Trump, did you say you are a National _ _ _ _ _ _ ist?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4505 on: October 23, 2018, 11:31:22 AM »
I'm sorry Herr Trump, did you say you are a National _ _ _ _ _ _ ist?

Well we could abbreviate the "social" with an apostrophe and just call them "National'ists" or we could go one step farther and abbreviate it down to some convenient two-syllable version.  Any suggestions?  NaSos?  NaZas?  It's probably something like that. 

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:32:58 AM by sol »

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4506 on: October 23, 2018, 12:27:22 PM »
This is why the GOP wants to make it difficult to vote. High voter turnout generally leads to more votes for Democrats.

Quote from: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/early-voting-points-to-massive-turnout-warning-signs-for-gop
Early voting numbers show a dramatic increase in voter engagement in this year's midterm elections compared with 2014 totals, and preliminary turnout results in some states are sending Republicans renewed warnings of a so-called "blue wave" just weeks before Election Day.

There's currently a 2500 vote swing in Washoe County, to the Democrats. That's in a county that has more registered Republicans.

In Washoe County, where Reno is located and where Republicans hold an edge in voter registration (99,675 to 94,520), 3,409 Democrats voted in-person compared with 2,365 Republicans on Saturday.

Republicans were +1000 at this point in 2014.

I don't know if early-voting numbers should be released in near real-time but it does make for interesting reading.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:36:37 PM by bacchi »

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4507 on: October 23, 2018, 07:55:01 PM »
Can't the democrats hack as well as the Russians? 

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4508 on: October 23, 2018, 10:35:04 PM »
If the president does it, why can't I?

http://fortune.com/2018/10/23/southwest-flight-groper-trump/

MAGA!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4509 on: October 23, 2018, 11:32:36 PM »

MAGA!

Fucking rookie move.  He "touched her around the bra line"?  A real man would have taken away her children and locked them in cages.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4510 on: October 24, 2018, 09:53:55 AM »
The idea that it's unfashionable or rare to be an American nationalist could only be presented inside America. Almost everywhere else in the world, America is regarded as, well, a bit much on the old nationalism front.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4511 on: October 24, 2018, 10:00:44 AM »
The idea that it's unfashionable or rare to be an American nationalist could only be presented inside America. Almost everywhere else in the world, America is regarded as, well, a bit much on the old nationalism front.

It has a different definition in America and elsewhere.

But I see your point.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4512 on: October 24, 2018, 10:06:19 AM »

MAGA!

Fucking rookie move.  He "touched her around the bra line"?  A real man would have taken away her children and locked them in cages.

He also forgot to:
1) be famous/rich/powerful, and
2) use a position of power to claim impunity.

Skipping step 1 leads to diminished effectiveness of step 2.

/s (obviously)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4513 on: October 24, 2018, 10:43:21 AM »
In today's news, somebody is sending explosive devices to Bill and Hillary Clinton, George Soros, CNN, and the Obamas.

Any bets on how long it takes Trump to hold a press conference commending those patriotic Americans who took it upon themselves to defend their rights by trying to murder the people Trump told them to hate?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 10:47:33 AM by sol »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4514 on: October 24, 2018, 10:48:08 AM »
In today's news, somebody is sending explosive devices to Bill and Hillary Clinton, George Soros, CNN, and the Obamas.

Any bets on how long it takes Trump to hold a press conference commending those patriotic Americans who took it upon themselves to defend their rights by trying to murder democrats?

I was driving around about half an hour ago, and I heard on the news that the Trump administration put out a statement condemning these attacks and calling them cowardly.

I was absolutely shocked that the administration even said anything about it. It was quite a moment, to realize how awful things have become that I was flabbergasted by any sort of condemnation of violence against Democrats.

That said, I’m still expecting Trump to dog whistle his approval of the bomb attempts at a rally or two in the next few days.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4515 on: October 24, 2018, 10:50:53 AM »

In my local, small-town newspaper the following was published in the 'letters to the editor' section:

Dear Editor: Progressive democrats who believe that the rule-by-referendum ... are either naive or just plain lying to themselves. The entire country is under attack by the funding or will of globalist-billionaire George Soros and his some 187 lobby groups that are poisoning the minds of our legislators, our lawyers, local and state magistrates, teachers, professors and even our children.  Our republic will only survive by eradicating progressive ideology, starting with voting for all Republican representatives and for governor this November. Remember what Roman poet Virgil said in ancient Latin: tu ne cede malis"... or, do not give in to evil.

Holy crap. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4516 on: October 24, 2018, 11:02:13 AM »
I was driving around about half an hour ago, and I heard on the news that the Trump administration put out a statement condemning these attacks and calling them cowardly.

Give him time.  First I expect some sort of equivocating, like "there are very fine people on both sides" and then some abstract sympathy that plays to his base like "I understand the way they feel, because democrats are harming the country" and then, finally, the typical Trumpian embrace of evil with something like "why send mail bombs?  I always go to the person directly.  I'll pay the legal fees for anyone who attacks them in person."

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4517 on: October 24, 2018, 11:03:49 AM »
That Soros guy has been paying out so much to so many protestors (from caravans to the women's marches to leftist protestors all over America) that he must own part of the US Treasury (Obama probaby set him up!).

Sigh. I remember when it was just homosexuals recruiting our children.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4518 on: October 24, 2018, 11:04:36 AM »

Give him time.  First I expect some sort of equivocating, like "there are very fine people on both sides" and then some abstract sympathy that plays to his base like "I understand the way they feel, because democrats are harming the country" and then, finally, the typical Trumpian embrace of evil with something like "why send mail bombs?  I always go to the person directly.  I'll pay the legal fees for anyone who attacks them in person."

Yes indeed. The statement was by "the administration." Not Trump himself. There is no way in hell he will ever say any words of condemnation about these bomb attempts out of his own mouth.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4519 on: October 24, 2018, 11:07:39 AM »
Yes indeed. The statement was by "the administration." Not Trump himself.

Trump's twitter feed will be fun to watch after this one.  I love how he can't help but undermine all of the people trying to support time every time he opens up twitter while pooping.

What?  Isn't that where everyone uses twitter?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4520 on: October 24, 2018, 11:28:37 AM »
Now NY Governor Cuomo's office got a bomb (I think actually two). This stuff's getting serious. I remember how nuts I thought the '70s were when watching and reading accounts of bombs going off everywhere (I wasn't born till '80s so my perspective might be skewed). As terrible as that was at least there was a cause. This stuff is straight terrorism.

It will be interesting to see if this changes the focus of America's War of on Terror.  Imagine if they kidnapped and tortured white folks in Guantanamo Bay, illegally holding them indefinitely without a trial?  Or if they flew illegal and unsanctioned drone strikes that killed dozens of civilians in first world countries?

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4521 on: October 24, 2018, 11:32:58 AM »
Now NY Governor Cuomo's office got a bomb (I think actually two). This stuff's getting serious. I remember how nuts I thought the '70s were when watching and reading accounts of bombs going off everywhere (I wasn't born till '80s so my perspective might be skewed). As terrible as that was at least there was a cause. This stuff is straight terrorism.

It will be interesting to see if this changes the focus of America's War of on Terror.  Imagine if they kidnapped and tortured white folks in Guantanamo Bay, illegally holding them indefinitely without a trial?  Or if they flew illegal and unsanctioned drone strikes that killed dozens of civilians in first world countries?
I figure they may roll out the old "mental health" canard.  I realize this isn't a guns rights issue, but if it's good enough to make mass shootings go away, why not try it for domestic terror?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4522 on: October 24, 2018, 11:46:29 AM »

In my local, small-town newspaper the following was published in the 'letters to the editor' section:

Dear Editor: Progressive democrats who believe that the rule-by-referendum ... are either naive or just plain lying to themselves. The entire country is under attack by the funding or will of globalist-billionaire George Soros and his some 187 lobby groups that are poisoning the minds of our legislators, our lawyers, local and state magistrates, teachers, professors and even our children.  Our republic will only survive by eradicating progressive ideology, starting with voting for all Republican representatives and for governor this November. Remember what Roman poet Virgil said in ancient Latin: tu ne cede malis"... or, do not give in to evil.

Holy crap.

Propaganda works.   And bull to "everyone does it".   Lies are being fed into democracies at a scary rate, they are not being countered, and a lot of people are believing them.

I don't have an answer, but we've had plenty of previous examples of where this ends up, and I'm beginning to get pretty worried.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #4523 on: October 24, 2018, 11:47:54 AM »

I figure they may roll out the old "mental health" canard.  I realize this isn't a guns rights issue, but if it's good enough to make mass shootings go away, why not try it for domestic terror?

I fully expect a false flag operation conspiracy theory any moment now.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4524 on: October 24, 2018, 12:13:19 PM »

Trump's twitter feed will be fun to watch after this one.  I love how he can't help but undermine all of the people trying to support time every time he opens up twitter while pooping.

Heh.  I've never actually even SEEN twitter.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4525 on: October 24, 2018, 12:33:01 PM »

Welp, I just saw what Trump's line on this is gonna be. Courtesy of Fox, of course:

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/10/fox-news-expert-claims-mail-bombs-sent-liberals-trying-get-democratic-vote/?fbclid=IwAR0CDChoz_XeIbUftf4NtOn6T0LJk7KyxCVp3jhqWu8dHhhW2cX1JlOoIpg

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4526 on: October 24, 2018, 12:51:30 PM »
I fully expect a false flag operation conspiracy theory any moment now.

Welp, that only took about 2.5 hours.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4527 on: October 24, 2018, 01:05:50 PM »

Heh.  I've never actually even SEEN twitter.
You must be really constipated.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4529 on: October 24, 2018, 01:32:13 PM »

It looks like Debbie Wasserman Schultz and John Brennan were also targeted with explosive devices.  Who else is on Trump's hit list?  I think James Comey and Rosie O'Donnell should start having their mail inspected veeeery carefully.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4530 on: October 24, 2018, 01:42:36 PM »
I had heard the White House was also sent a package, is that true or just someone's attempt to muddy the waters? And if true, did it have a certain general's name on it? You know, formerly a mad dog, then a moderate dog, and now a Democrat [and therefore enemy of the people and state to a segment of the population].

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4531 on: October 24, 2018, 01:51:40 PM »
I had heard the White House was also sent a package, is that true or just someone's attempt to muddy the waters? And if true, did it have a certain general's name on it? You know, formerly a mad dog, then a moderate dog, and now a Democrat [and therefore enemy of the people and state to a segment of the population].
That was a mistaken report by CNN.  They have withdrawn it.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4532 on: October 24, 2018, 01:53:14 PM »

2 seconds on Google: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/24/pipe-bomb-addressed-to-the-white-house-is-intercepted-cnn.html

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4533 on: October 24, 2018, 01:54:19 PM »
I had heard the White House was also sent a package, is that true or just someone's attempt to muddy the waters?

False flag reporting?

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4534 on: October 24, 2018, 01:54:39 PM »

2 seconds on Google: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/24/pipe-bomb-addressed-to-the-white-house-is-intercepted-cnn.html
The title of your link implies that it actually happened, but again, the report was false.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4535 on: October 24, 2018, 02:08:53 PM »
I had heard the White House was also sent a package, is that true or just someone's attempt to muddy the waters?

False flag reporting?

False report flagging.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4536 on: October 26, 2018, 09:35:32 AM »
Well, a subject has been arrested in regard to the bombs.

Think they'll let him take his MAGA hat to prison with him?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4537 on: October 26, 2018, 09:44:09 AM »

Well, we've been told over and over again that conservatives just don't do these things, so I'm sure a pardon is in order, or maybe it's a mental health thing.

I simply cannot believe how much Trump has doubled down on the press as a result of this. It is like gaslighting/victim blaming 101. Jeebus.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4538 on: October 26, 2018, 09:50:12 AM »
I simply cannot believe how much Trump has doubled down on the press as a result of this. It is like gaslighting/victim blaming 101. Jeebus.

I particularly enjoyed the exchange where he blamed CNN for inciting divisions and supporting violence, and someone immediately retweeted the time Trump sent out that WWE video of himself bodyslamming a guy with the CNN logo superimposed on his face.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4539 on: October 26, 2018, 09:55:22 AM »

I particularly enjoyed the exchange where he blamed CNN for inciting divisions and supporting violence, and someone immediately retweeted the time Trump sent out that WWE video of himself bodyslamming a guy with the CNN logo superimposed on his face.
Or the photos of people at his rallies wearing shirts with the words "Rope. Journalist. Tree. Some assembly required." While this isn't the majority of people at his rallies, the stories are not about how his supporters are rejecting those views, that's for sure. It is disgusting and unamerican (in the sense of marching towards gross infringement of the 1st amendment).

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4540 on: October 26, 2018, 10:04:31 AM »

there was a picture where the police were placing a tarp over a white van with multiple Trump decals on the windows...

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4541 on: October 26, 2018, 10:24:04 AM »

there was a picture where the police were placing a tarp over a white van with multiple Trump decals on the windows...
I will have to admit that I chuckled at a reference to him as the "MAGAbomber".

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4542 on: October 26, 2018, 12:32:33 PM »
My biggest question about these 12 (at last count) mail bombs: Why didn't a single one go off?

I suppose we'll find out in time, but that seems extraordinary.  None in transit, none upon discovery.  Were they duds, or fakes, or were they really able to detect and defuse each one before it went off?  Just seems surprising to me that there were zero explosions and LEOs were able to retain all twelve in tact (and I hope it stays that way).

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4543 on: October 26, 2018, 12:34:51 PM »
My biggest question about these 12 (at last count) mail bombs: Why didn't a single one go off?

I suppose we'll find out in time, but that seems extraordinary.  None in transit, none upon discovery.  Were they duds, or fakes, or were they really able to detect and defuse each one before it went off?  Just seems surprising to me that there were zero explosions and LEOs were able to retain all twelve in tact (and I hope it stays that way).

Yeah. Two possibilities seem the most likely. Either:

a) they were meant to scare more than harm
b) the guy is too dumb to know how to build a decent bomb

I suspect we'll know which one it was in the coming days.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4544 on: October 26, 2018, 12:41:32 PM »

It sounds like they were legit pipe bombs, but without automatic detonation triggers.  Like they needed to be manually detonated.

Also in the news:  The dude is a registered republican from Florida who owns a van covered in Trump/Pence stickers.  So much for the idea that this was all a liberal plot.

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4545 on: October 26, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »
MSM's fault

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4546 on: October 26, 2018, 12:47:27 PM »
I don't know man, those stickers are a bit much, I could see a certain segment of the population easily persuaded that this was a set up. Hell, looking at that van, I can't say that it'd take much for ME to be a little suspicious. Then again, it is Florida.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #4547 on: October 26, 2018, 12:47:45 PM »

It sounds like they were legit pipe bombs, but without automatic detonation triggers.  Like they needed to be manually detonated.

Also in the news:  The dude is a registered republican from Florida who owns a van covered in Trump/Pence stickers.  So much for the idea that this was all a liberal plot.

That just shows that the liberal conspiracy is even more sophisticated than we thought :(

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4548 on: October 26, 2018, 12:47:54 PM »
There's no place in a democracy for attempted assassinations of a political party's leaders.  I don't care how strongly you object to their policies, the opposing party is not your enemy and violence against them is repugnant and criminal.

(and yes, I feel the same way about wackos who target GOP figures, like that a-hole who shot up a bunch of GOP house members in 2017 at a friendly baseball game)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4549 on: October 26, 2018, 12:51:57 PM »
(and yes, I feel the same way about wackos who target GOP figures, like that a-hole who shot up a bunch of GOP house members in 2017 at a friendly baseball game)

When you put it that way, suddenly I think it's only a matter of time before the NRA releases a statement saying the magabomber has a constitutionally protected right to own pipe bombs and that this tragedy was the result of inadequate mental health screening.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!